• 202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Welcome to The Eleven(th) year of the Dave's Picks series! The momentum of the series keeps moving forward, and we can truly say there is no end in sight to the series. As we've said before, as long as you keep digging and supporting the series, we'll keep putting them out. Which is to say a huge thank you for keeping the series going! We do what we do because of you, and you keep inspiring us to do our best. And above all, you make it fun! As odd and challenging a year 2021 was, we were able to release five (!) incredible Grateful Dead shows in 2021 through the Dave's Picks series, starting with the magnificent Vol. 37 from 4/15/78, to Nassau on 9/8/73, the Spectrum on 4/26/83, and most recently 7/18/90 AND 7/19/90. Plus a healthy amount of bonus material where it would fit and where appropriate. Oh, and the subscribers' Bonus Disc from 9/7/73 that came with Vol. 38. As great as the four from 2021 were, we're already feeling 2022 will outdo it, and we've only selected Vol. 41 and Vol. 42 so far, as well as a lot of progress toward Vol. 43. But that's all for another time. For now, please know how much your enthusiasm means to us. We get as excited as you do every time a Dave's Picks is released. So thanks for coming along for the ride, and sharing the journey with us. We have a wonderful year of Grateful Dead archival releases ahead, and we can't wait to share it all with you.

David Lemieux
    October 2021

Is there anything better than the Dead automatically showing up at your door four times a year? We think not. We're holding steady with a numbered, limited-edition of 25,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2022 releases. But make no mistake, the best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax because you never know how fast each title will go when we put them up for sale, and there have been plenty of times where we're done in a day.

If you're new here, in addition to the four releases in 2022, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

DETAILS

DAVE’S PICKS 2022 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

- Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    - Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    - Free Domestic Shipping
    - Delivered Throughout The Year
    - Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    - A savings of over $25.00 over purchasing a la carte

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • hendrixfreak

He died at age 62 and looked like hell! I'm two years older and would die too if I looked like that. (Note: I have removed all mirrors in my home....)

That said, Sid looked like a man who lived the high life with no regrets. So there's that tie-in.

The quote -- "a nice pair" -- actually pushed me to research the guy. Thanks Daverock.

I had thought of the Ace '72 tie-in. I'd be game for a few studio outtakes of a 15-20 minute Playing in the Band!

• daverock

As we had one of the Paris 1972 shows on vinyl for RSD last year, I wondered if the other one would come out on vinyl next year. Would make a lovely pair, as Sid James might have said. And a Fall 72 box would be a perfect gift for anyone.
    Actually, I have just remembered - the Dark Star from Paris 72 came out on vinyl a few years ago, so maybe one of the other shows from E72 would be better for RSD

Unfortunately, the 60's seem a bit off the radar for Dave, and the May 77 and projected late period shows are keeping me from re-subscribing - bonus disc be damned. Great news that 3/1/69 is coming out on vinyl next year, though.

Maybe "Ace" will get the "50th " reissue treatment, with a 72 live show thrown in. Doubtful - but a nice idea.

• wilfredtjones

I always think there are a lot of clues in 30 Days of Dead. A lot of what has been played there over the years has eventually been tapped for release.

• hendrixfreak

So the "excitement" has gone out of the Dave's Picks for 2022, understandably. A reliable, easy spring '77 pick, the year's sweetner, early WoS '74 with bonus -- so around 4 hrs of early '74 (doesn't get much better than that) -- and many of us are guessing '80s and/or '90s show for 3rd and 4th pick, with a Pigpen '69 show on the outside track..........

Speculation naturally turns to the non-DPs output for 2022, the box, RSD, extras, etc.

I'll just go ahead and stick my foot in it with speculation that they might revisit, say, two nights in Paris '72 to remix/remaster for a 50th. OR ... and you know I've been saying this for a long time .... maybe it's time for that fall '72 box. Yes! Despite Listen to the River having (3) fall '72 nights. That's a "region" ripe for a solid release that will leave plenty of material for the future. Otherwise, what's 50th about this coming year?

Will they speed up the schedule with a Wake of the Flood release, outtakes and the Watkins Glen jam? Or will they finally go with that long-ago prepped (and "curated") box of summer '73 from RFK to Watkins Glen or even 7-31-73 and 8-1-73? (Recall the discussion that the best GD and ABB tracks from 6-9-73, 6-10-73, 7-27-73 and 7-28-73 were prepped for a box then shelved, probably for "legal reasons.")

Or will GDP, Rhino and the OSF collaborate to release a recently unearthed GD show from Owsley's vault? That'd kick up a little dust.

Or, as usual, have I temporarily lodged (let's hope it's temporary) my head where the sun don't shine and Dave the Elf has something completely different in mind? A '69 box? A smaller '68 box? I kinda doubt the latter is at the top of Dave's (and Rhino's) list for release, but it would set the hardcore fans on fire. Make it a limited edition? Or a mainstream release of two discs of the hottest remaining '68? Wherever that item appears on Dave's list, I'd have to guess it's on the master list titled, "What the hell do we do with THESE tapes?" Releaseable, but is there enough demand? Hey, Dave, I'll buy two! Final thought on that notion: the 50th for '68 has come and gone, so there's no temporal tie-in to be had. Surely the 60th in 2028 has to be off the radar as few who attended '68 shows remain interested as their 80th year approaches.... Etc., etc.

• DeadHead1974

Thanks for letting me know!
    2/22/74 was my first show and YES it was a Wall of Sound show.
    I remember watching them unload what seemed to be a never-ending load of speakers, etc. into the side door of Winterland that night!
    It was unbelievable!
    Great show no doubt!

• alvarhanso

That period is usually from announcement around end of October to around Thanksgiving, then it reverts to $115.98 until they cut off subscription sales in January (this time Jan 7, I believe was the announced date). It's still quite a bit cheaper to subscribe now than to do it a la carte, also, ordering the subscription gets you the bonus disc.

• DeadHead1974

Do you need a coupon on something to get this? When I place it in the cart it shows up $115 + tax but you do get free shipping.
    If you know let me know!
    Thank you!

• 1stshow70878

So many great comments on ways to get even more types of releases out of the vault. A "Runs" series with multi-night runs. Maybe the 3 nights or less runs to not get into the box category. So many of us missed one night or just couldn't see the whole 3 nights for so many reasons. The one that got away. Just a stoner idea from one that let way too many get away. Dave's pretty busy as it is so just keep the mother rollin'.
    Cheers!

• hendrixfreak

that one of Dave's "methods" for selecting releases is, naturally, to go back to short runs or tours when the band was on and it's relatively easy to pick a hot one. (E.g., 2-23-74.) This has another advantage: it leaves some runs or one-off shows in relative obscurity, which enables a "surprise" pick at points in the future. Like Bob and Jer trading vocal duties in a show, Dave can alternate between familiar dates and obscure dates and thereby create a little excitement.

Of course, I'm waiting for this morning's coffee to percolate, so I may well be off the rails here. Nothing new!

• nitecat

Thanks it was awesome. I would love to see some other years, also. I'm like some who have said, my favorite era was 65-95, although I must admit I don't listen to the 60's as much.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Welcome to The Eleven(th) year of the Dave's Picks series! The momentum of the series keeps moving forward, and we can truly say there is no end in sight to the series. As we've said before, as long as you keep digging and supporting the series, we'll keep putting them out. Which is to say a huge thank you for keeping the series going! We do what we do because of you, and you keep inspiring us to do our best. And above all, you make it fun! As odd and challenging a year 2021 was, we were able to release five (!) incredible Grateful Dead shows in 2021 through the Dave's Picks series, starting with the magnificent Vol. 37 from 4/15/78, to Nassau on 9/8/73, the Spectrum on 4/26/83, and most recently 7/18/90 AND 7/19/90. Plus a healthy amount of bonus material where it would fit and where appropriate. Oh, and the subscribers' Bonus Disc from 9/7/73 that came with Vol. 38. As great as the four from 2021 were, we're already feeling 2022 will outdo it, and we've only selected Vol. 41 and Vol. 42 so far, as well as a lot of progress toward Vol. 43. But that's all for another time. For now, please know how much your enthusiasm means to us. We get as excited as you do every time a Dave's Picks is released. So thanks for coming along for the ride, and sharing the journey with us. We have a wonderful year of Grateful Dead archival releases ahead, and we can't wait to share it all with you.

David Lemieux
October 2021

Is there anything better than the Dead automatically showing up at your door four times a year? We think not. We're holding steady with a numbered, limited-edition of 25,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2022 releases. But make no mistake, the best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax because you never know how fast each title will go when we put them up for sale, and there have been plenty of times where we're done in a day.

If you're new here, in addition to the four releases in 2022, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

DETAILS

DAVE’S PICKS 2022 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

- Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
- Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
- Free Domestic Shipping
- Delivered Throughout The Year
- Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
- A savings of over $25.00 over purchasing a la carte

Dave's Picks #1 on vinyl was announced end of last year with Ltd #s. I think it took a few weeks to sell out, but not shipping until June sometime. Finally get to have my missing Dave's Pick in physical format. Would love to supplement it with the CD version too (for the completionist in me)...

I think today may be last day to buy a subscription. Ever since missing out on DaP1, have subscribed every year since. The early bird special makes it a no brainer of a lovely Christmas present from my daughter every year...

Happy New Year!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Has anyone heard if the Dave's Picks Vol. 1 set is still scheduled to ship on the 29th? hopeful but not to optimistic about it.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/grateful-dead-dave-s-picks-2022-subscription.html