• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I remembered reading it last year and loved it! Between the water feature, battery deception and Bob Wagner mention...it's one of the best I've read on here. It prompted me to download the AUD recordings which I enjoyed. Really thrilled for you (and all of us to a lesser extent) that these SBD's will now see the light of day. Maybe we'll all do a little wading in the water....
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I'm really looking forward to this box. It's funny how much Dave's 15 changed my opinion of 1978. Prior to that I had enjoyed the previous releases but that Nashville show just jumps out at you. This is gonna make for some excellent spring listening!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

I'm so excited for this release but would like to know the price of the digital content (FLAC and ALAC) so I can make an informed consumer decision of box set vs. digital. Any help dead.net? Thanks for the tunes!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Clovett, I highly recommend Dicks Picks 18 and Dave's Picks 7, both of which are outstanding. Dave's 7, for example, has the best TMNS ever, IMO.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Clovett, I highly recommend Dicks Picks 18 and Dave's Picks 7, both of which are outstanding. Dave's 7, for example, has the best TMNS ever, IMO.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years

I want to get this but if there's any chance of the Red Rocks shows being released on record i'd prefer to wait on those.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I have all of the releases you suggested, and while I certainly enjoyed them, I find myself going back to Dave's 15 more than I have any other. Oh well, chocolate, vanilla.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I would buy any of the individual shows, if offered as one full show to the general public just like "Wake Up To Find Out Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY 3/29/90" was culled from the "Spring 1990 The Other One" box. My first choice would be the 7/1/78 Kansas City show at a low price and my 2nd choice would be the 7/8/78 2nd Red Rocks show.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Ooops!I just noticed that the 2nd Red Rocks show, 7/8/78, is being offered for individual sale. Thank you, "The Powers That Be"
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Heh, heh, just wanted to write something silly... I was right about a release of returned tapes, after my fifth prediction... hey, that's one way to win. Next two boxes: a nice stretch of Fall '72, then a box from Summer '73. And THEN: that 1970-71 complete show from the MG returned tapes that DL teased us with a year or so ago! (Need I yell "PIGPEN!" again?) I'll repeat these predictions until they come true. (So much to look forward to on this forum, eh?) Almost forgot: I'm so down with an official release of those first two Rocks shows. They had a truly delicious vibe at the time and I haven't consulted my copies in years and years.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Great story! I love the image of Phil (or Bobby?) shshing the crowd as Jerry is summoning his power.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 1 month

Very exciting to see these shows released and to hear that Dave is now collaborating with folks to get the Betty boards out there. Grateful to all involved. As someone who got on the bus in the early 90s - Red Rocks 78 is truly the stuff of legend. It was one of the first good tapes that my friends had. Now decisions. Single Show or Box Set? I had recently decided that I shouldn't spend much money on CDs this year. 78 is not usually what I reach for, but this is super tempting. Especially with Dave saying the first show has 30 minutes of his favorite music from 78. I would agree that he seemed pretty Irie in that video. Nice! Grateful for this one. Glad that 7-8 is being offered for single show, non-limited release.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

So glad I'm not married and have to explain my Grateful Dead addiction. I think now that they've struck a deal to get them back they should just release Barton Hall by itself or with another mini 77 box hopefully towards the end of this year, so the focus on the rest of this years Dave's Picks is 60's or 80's. Whatever it took to get this done I say thanks to all parties. It's exciting to know what was folklore will slowly make their way into reality, remastered, and on my doorstep.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Just thought it should be pointed out that the last 10 DAVE PICKS in a row have been from 1969-1978, all of the DAVE PICKS from the series so far(18) have been from 1969-1978 except for 1.....the last 6 of 8 BOX SETS have been from 1971-1978, and all of the RSD releases have been from the 1970s....TPTB are just totally against all other decades, and really all other years other than 1969-1978 ( I'll take any 1979 releases, but they won't release any from '79 either). I would imagine the board police from the DP board are all here on this forum now, I'm sure you're all excited for YET ANOTHER Grateful Dead release(5 complete 1978 shows).....I'm sorry I like the Grateful Dead from the 1980s, I know that is wrong & I'm not allowed to mention that, forgive me
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I'd say that 95% of Deadheads suffer from this incurable affliction. Fortunately, symptoms are managed by Dave's incredible selections! Please provide one link to a "board police" making fun of RV3 for liking the 80s. You can't, because it never happened. People take issue with the fact that you are a dickhead troll who whines incessantly. No one cares what kind of music you like or don't like. As you search for that link, you might also want to find one board member who enjoys your presence here. Lonely to be a troll. And Pfux doesn't count. I suspect you're the same person, anyway.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Will the FLAC files be 96/24 or rips of the CD at 44/16?
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

say my name, and i'll show up. the reality is quite simple to comprehend. all i want is more variety. at this point i'll take a vince era release. i don't necessarily prefer the '80s to other eras. although there is more song variety in the later eras, which is what i'm asking for. however, that has not stopped people on here from misunderstanding my calls for non-keith releases. at one point someone made a reference to me wanting to have sex with brent midland's corpse. yeah. i know. i'm the troll. as for me having an alter ego; i seriously doubt RV3 is me since he created his account just 6 weeks after i created this one, but you never know. i did burn a few braincells back in the day. ----
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

How about more variety in your comments? Same old, same old.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I'm always happy with more 70's Era. And happy to acquire this. As a VERY late comer to the Dead, I'll be playing catch-up for a long time still to come. With that said, my wife (the real Deadhead int he family) would REALLY love some late 80's thru the 1990's end-period shows. I can absolutely understand why the Dead live-show wheelhouse is the 70's, just like my own beloved Pink Floyd. But please, consider throwing a bone to later-era fans from time to time too. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I have recently called for GD83, June/July 85, Greek Box multiple times. However, this box o' 78 is magical. Pure and simple. Top five shows according to me: 8/27/72 6/10/73 7/8/78 5/11/72 12/31/76 now the only one not-yet-released is 6/10/73. 80s GD? Yes, please. But zero complaints about this 78 box.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

i have posted a variety of comments, but some people don't like those either. when the discussion turned to politics people were unhappy. when the conversation turned to jazz people were unhappy. the reality is most people on dead.net only want to hear the same shit: jerry was the greatest ever, the grateful dead were the greatest ever, dave lemieux is doing a fantastic job, etc. you get the gist. ----
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I read an interview with Rob Eaton at one point, where he talked about restoring the Betty Boards. I guess three parties bought the contents of the storage locker. One of them returned the reels to the band. One has tried to sell the reels to the band and one of them bought the reels for the cases they came in and threw the actually reels in a barn somewhere. In the interview Rob talks about how he came across this guy, and how he worked on restoring the reels and then returned them to the vault. Here is the link: http://www.relix.com/articles/detail/whats_become_of_the_bettys/P2. I also read somewhere, and this is from memory, so I could be wrong, that 5/8/77 is not in the vault. Anyway, as much as I would love to see a box from May of '77, between Boston, Ithaca and Buffalo, you have three "tent pole" shows and I can't see them being released in one box. Each one of those could be the "cornerstone" of it's own box like 7/7/78 or 3/29/90.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

When I was first introduced to the Dead in '93 my brother taped me 3 of his favorite bootlegs to start my collection. They were 3/1/69, 5/8/77, and 7/8/78. It's funny how it works, cuz even through the years of adding to my collection with tapes, then Dicks Picks and Daves Picks and other official releases, I still haven't found alot that I would hold higher than those 3 shows. 1 of those 3 was released with the Fillmore West '69 set a while back and now the 7/8/78. This is pretty exciting as it will be almost 23 years since i was first handed this gem of a show. I've read a lot of the comments and posts and I heard a couple negative things about repetition. I can't speak for the 7/1-7/7 shows but the 7/8 show has an energy that almost can't be explained. Jerry growls during this show and I mean his voice not guitar. That's just one example of the energy I'm talking about. I'm sure you always hear people say you can't always look at something on paper and make a judgement call but I'm telling ya that this is truly one of those time when you can't just look at it on paper haha. So don't worry if it looks repetitive because these same songs take on a life of their own. I don't know if it's because the channeled some special energy from Red Rocks or what but it's intense. This isn't your '73-'74 Dead. This is straight melt your face rock n roll Dead. A lot of the versions of these songs are still my favorite. I mean how many times have you heard a Bertha>Good Lovin'? This one is not the same trust me. I'm sure most like me have already heard this show but for the ones that haven't or think it's repetitive just get it anyway and you won't be let down. Songs that aren't even your favorite will become favorites haha. Thanks to the team that help make this all possible. I never would have thought.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

I too would much love more releases form the 80s and 90s, of course I've never been disappointed with a show from the 60s or 70s, I'm too easy to please I guess. 7/08/78 was my first Dead boot, back before I realized there was the whole tape trading thing and record shops used to sell "import" CDs of live shows. I paid $50 for this one and it was worth every penny. Has long been on my wish list. First boot being Red Rocks and my first tape was Cornell, all downhill from there! j/k Can't wait for this box, I'm not familiar with the first three shows in the box so the prospect of getting 3 July '78 shows that are fresh to these ears has me dying for May! When I broke it to my wife I pre-ordered the new Dead box her neck tensed up, when I told her the price the look of relief was unmistakable. I could definitely use a few years of smaller boxes like this.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I like all era's of Grateful Dead and I just wanted to say, Jerry was the greatest ever, the Grateful Dead were the greatest ever, and Dave Lemieux is doing a fantastic job.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This looks like another home run for Dave & Rhino! These Red Rocks shows have been on everyone's wish list forever, plus 3 unknown shows that Dave says contain two smoking ones. Outstanding art work also. I really love it. It was no surprise to see the trolls come out yesterday after being missing (thank goodness!) for a long time. But no surprise there. They have to piss on everyone's parade. Haters gotta hate and trolls have to troll! Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I'm super excited with this release and second what clovett is saying. What's not to like about this? I can find the good in any era GD, but its not like we got a truck of pristine 80's reel to reels returned. If you can't be happy for this one.. its like we all won the lottery.
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Brave man,,, I haven't told my wife yet. Waiting for a good moment?!?! I too was glad about the price, unfortunately I added 3 from the vault at the same time (it was only 45 bucks!), but it brought the total to 188, might as well say 200. I'm about to drop a chunk of dough on other things, so I need to time this well :-) They can kill ya, but they can't eat you!
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

Just saying THANK YOU to Dave and all the folks who made this possible. Very grateful for all the music.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

And the Raiders of the Lost Tapes...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

Now I know who got hold of the Ark Of Covenant Box for the 30 Trips. Just finished listening to DAP 15, and now onto Orpheum Broadcast of 18th July 1976, roll on May.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Gratitude and Congratulations to All involved in bring these shows home to the Vault and released to the world!!! A Band Beyond Description, Indeed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I prefer these small boxes covering a slice of a particular year. 30 Trips was a Bridge Too Far -IMHO. This July 78 Box is more manageable in a number of ways. Regarding the 69-78 Obsession? Yeah Dave. While this new release is very nice let's go next for an NYC MSG September 79 Box with perhaps a couple of other Sept. 79 shows added in. Brent's first MSG shows: Veni, Vidi, Vici!
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Essential stuff here. Future is bright for GD box set. Signs are pointing toward many famous runs and some stand alone shows that will all be primo. Runs Feb Cap 71 August BCT 72 June 1976 Beacon Theater May 77 Trifecta with potential for adding New Haven + 5.4.77 to make what could be the Grand Daddy. 5 show combo piece A few stand alone shows could be 5.26.73 - Kezar 2.26.77 - The Swing Lol 10.29.77 - Dekalb Honorable mention - 4.22.79 - Spartan Stadium - Brent's first show
user picture

Member for

8 years

I like these smaller boxes a little better. 30 Trips is awesome and I like that some later 90's stuff is being released, but I still haven't gotten through the whole thing yet. And here I am ordering more shows. I like how the small boxes have several shows from consecutive nights or over a week or so. You can really apprieciate how the band gets in a good groove. I'm really looking forward to this one and I already can't wait to see what the next one will be. All Dead is good Dead!
user picture

Member for

8 years

I like these smaller boxes a little better. 30 Trips is awesome and I like that some later 90's stuff is being released, but I still haven't gotten through the whole thing yet. And here I am ordering more shows. I like how the small boxes have several shows from consecutive nights or over a week or so. You can really apprieciate how the band gets in a good groove. I'm really looking forward to this one and I already can't wait to see what the next one will be. All Dead is good Dead!

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks for the link about July 1st! Was wondering why that show was so short (just under two hours of music). Great story, and now I'm really psyched to hear it.Dave had probably already explained the brevity, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the spiel yet. For those nerdy about such stuff, here's a song breakdown: Cold Rain and Snow Beat It On Down the Line New Minglewood Blues 2 The Other One 2 Mama Tried Dire Wolf 2 Black Peter Not Fade Away 2 Candyman 2 Friend of the Devil 2 Truckin Sugar Magnolia 2 El Paso Bertha > 2 Good Lovin 2 Wharf Rat 3 Loser Me and My Uncle > 2 Big River 2 Johnny B. Goode 2 Deal 2 Sugaree Jack Straw 2 Tennessee Jed 2 Mexicali Blues Ramble On Rose 2 One More Saturday Night Looks Like Rain 2 Cassidy 2 Around and Around 3 Promised Land 2 Stella Blue Eyes of the World 2 Scarlet Begonias > 2 Fire On the Mountain 2 Ship of Fools 2 It Must Have Been the Roses only 1! Peggy-O 2 The Music Never Stopped 2 Franklin’s Tower Lazy Lightning/ Supplication They Love Each Other Dancing In the Street 2 Samson and Delilah 2 It’s All Over Now Terrapin Station 2 Estimated Prophet 3 Passenger Iko Iko Rhythm Devils > 5 Space 4 Werewolves of London 2 No Brown-Eyed, Half-Step, or Let It Grow.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's funny you mentioned DaP 7 TMNS. I just emailed a good friend about how much I enjoy that one (as well as the one on DP 18, which was #1 for me before DaP 7 was released, and now it's just a notch below). There is a great 2 minute spacey jam that took shape from 3:19 - 5:21 on DaP 7; and from 3:12 - 5:38 on DP 18. I was also impressed by DaP 15 and am really looking forward to this box set. I would like at some point to have some more Keith-era Shakedowns, Miracles, and Stagger Lees, though they would need to be quite a find to supersede Shakedown from Egypt '78 and Stagger / Miracle from '78. It's the only time I've enjoyed Bobby's slide playing (Stagger Lee from 12/31/78 that is, and only this date lol). And Jerry looks so fucking cool in his shades, I just want to party with that dude, with whatever he wants to party with. And here's that song breakdown sorted by title over the 5 nights. More cowbell. I mean Wharf Rats. The only thing really missing is the Wheel and Mississippi Half-Step, but I'll just mix those in from 30 Trips and DP 18. I suppose Uncle John's Band is missing too. This is getting complicated... Around And Around Around And Around Around And Around Beat It On Down The Line Beat It On Down The Line Bertha Bertha> Big River Big River Black Peter> Candyman Candyman Cassidy Cassidy Cold Rain And Snow Dancing In The Street Dancing In The Street> Deal Deal Deal> Dire Wolf Dire Wolf El Paso Estimated Prophet> Estimated Prophet> Estimated Prophet> Eyes Of The World> Eyes Of The World> Fire On The Mountain Fire On The Mountain Franklin’s Tower Friend Of The Devil Friend Of The Devil Good Lovin’ Good Lovin’ Iko Iko> It Must Have Been The Roses It’s All Over Now Jack Straw Jack Straw Johnny B. Goode Johnny B. Goode Lazy Lightning> Looks Like Rain Looks Like Rain Loser Mama Tried> Me And My Uncle Me And My Uncle> Mexicali Blues> New Minglewood Blues New Minglewood Blues Not Fade Away> Not Fade Away> One More Saturday Night Passenger Peggy-O Peggy-O Playing In The Band> Promised Land Promised Land Ramble On Rose Ramble On Rose Rhythm Devils> Rhythm Devils> Rhythm Devils> Rhythm Devils> Rhythm Devils>[ Samson And Delilah Samson And Delilah Scarlet Begonias> Scarlet Begonias> Ship Of Fools Ship Of Fools Space> Space> Space> Space> Stella Blue> Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia Sugaree Supplication Tennessee Jed Tennessee Jed Terrapin Station> Terrapin Station> The Music Never Stopped The Music Never Stopped The Other One> The Other One> They Love Each Other Truckin’> U.S. Blues Werewolves Of London Werewolves Of London Wharf Rat> Wharf Rat> Wharf Rat>
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The 7/01 show was my first and when it's been said it was hot, Oh, Babe It Ain't No Lie! To be honest I would never have thought this would have become an official release. It was a short set and it seemed good, but not great at the time. So I'm eager to hear Sr. Norman's doings with it, as well as the others. Oroboros has to be creamin'! Keep leaking those stowries, they're always excellent! Man, it's going to be a whale of a July!!! Thanks, PTB.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Keithfan, was that just coincidence that we posted song lists in consecutive posts? Mine were in loosely chronological order, with exceptions for later arrangements and standard pairings like Scarlet > Fire, which I kept together. Gotta chuckle how many Werewolves have been officially released now!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

San Francisco at the Winterland, where I gifted the 'dragon' to Jerry. And then a month or so later I got to talk with him after that monster Madison Show (February of 78). Omaha was that summer. If I could repeat myself for those who haven't heard this before (my 3 sons are groaning loudly, they have heard this tale so many times), but here he (I) goes again.....many years ago, in a galaxy far far away, called Nebraska........ Back in 1977, my girlfriend (now wife), myself, and two buddies decided to road-trip from Lincoln Nebraska to the Winterland for the New Year's Eve run of shows in San Francisco. I toted along with us a clay sculpture that I had made the prior year. It was a one and 1/2 foot (in circumference) dragon that was biting/consuming it's own tail. I had 'scraffitto' (carved designs) into the entire beast's 'hide' and then it was fired and stained. It was the biggest piece of clay sculpture that I have ever made. And I thought it would be fun to give it to the band on New Years. So away we go, get to the venue and secured tickets for the run (12/27-29-30-31-77). The shows were unbefuckinliveable and Winterland was such a great hall. But on the 31st, we were sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the doors to open, talking and watching the circus, ready to hurry and get in for the 'activities' ie. freak volleyball and Bill Graham was going to show us movies (Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man and the original Beatles Magical Mystery tour) before that evening's show. I thought "I better try to unload the dragon aka 'Oroboros' now, it's heavy and I don't want to try to talk my way though the front gate with it." I spied a door that said 'Backstage' and began knocking on the door. No answer. The line of people on the side walk started getting up and moving toward the entrance. Banged even harder thinking "I've got to get this dragon in there so I can go in the front and join in before the show", and as I pounded harder, the door yanks open so hard that it yanks me into the doorway. This doorway is immediately filled with a gigantic black man in a red event t-shirt, who puts his hand on my chest and leans forward and bellows "WHAT DO YOU WANT?" Startled, I held out the dragon with both hands and stuttered "to give this to the band". The giant took it in his immense hand and his face curls into a grin as he held it closer to inspect it and I watched my dragon shrink to the size of a key chain. He exclaimed "Wow, what is this, I'd like one" and I explained "it's an oroboros and that is the only one there is." He grinned and said "Cool, who do you want me to give it to?" and I said "to Garcia, give it to Jerry Garcia." The giant disappeared as quickly as he appeared and the door slammed shut like the the first time Dorothy tried to get into the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. So, I happily gain entrance to the show and needless to say, it was something, 'freak volleyball' followed by the movies, Graham's copy of Bradbury's 'Illustrated Man' followed by a 16 mm Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour". The colorful/wonderful crowd, 'rainbow' Rose with an eyedropper of liquid party favor "just one dollar per drop. On your tongue or for the adventurous, a drop in your eye". Oh, and when each person walked through the entrance the staff handed us a piece of paper that had a message about a "Good things come to those who wait, surprise at midnight" with steal your face logo. When you entered Winterland, you could go into the big 'hall' surrounded on all sides by an elevated balcony, (with theater seats). You could also go into a bar, which played some black and white videos on a 'big screen' taken from pro shots of the Winterland stage when Hendrix or Airplane or etc played. Very entertaining on many levels. Hey, the New Riders of the Purple Sage are starting, got to get in there, the sound is loud and they are rocking the house. Anticipation was high and the Dead came out for the first set. Our party favors are now starting to engage..., things began to sparkle, and the old Winterland venue takes notice, and her walls start to sweat and, then to sway with the strains of familiar music as the Dead coax this old hall to dance with us all. This is such a delight, I know the vista cruiser is engaged and then I notice when the house lights went down, and the stage lights went dark in between songs, then I saw it. On top of a monitor, in between Billy and Mickey, there was a flame, it was a white candle sitting in front of a dragon consuming it's tail. It was Oroboros, ON STAGE WITH THE DEAD! I watched as Jerry walked over and lit a cigarette off the candle by the beast. They took a break and the surprise for the second half was Uncle BoBo (as Bobby liked to call Graham) dressed up as Uncle Sam on a motorcycle sliding down on a cable suspended high from the back of the hall to the stage. They put spotlights on him as he approached the stage and it was hilarious. Because as Graham came to the stage, the weight of the bike and BoBo was too much and the stage hands had to rush out and drag him onstage and then to the explosion of Sugar Mag, complete with dropping balloons and babies girl and boy New Years dancing at the each edge of the stage. I was 'sittin' on top of the world (Dead reference intended). What a night!! If you pull up 'YouTube', NYE show 1977- Fire on the Mountain video, right at the end of Fire on the Mountain, the camera does zoom in on the 'oroboros' for a couple of seconds. RDevil here on Deadnet found that 'view' and clued me into it. From then on my 3 sons knew I wasn't bullshittin' because I showed it to them! Anyway, what a treat that run in 1977 was. At many levels, the return of China Cat-Rider, my being able to 'gift' our band, who poured out so much to us. But unknown to me, the best would be yet to come. We walked out into the cool San Francisco early morning and drove through the fog back to Nebraska. This is not the end of the tale. Fast forward to another road trip to Madison, Wisc. on 2-3-78. The Dead were on a roll and it was really a killer show. That Cold Rain and snow to start and the tremendous second half with Estimated>Eyes>Wheel (if I recall correctly). Disparage 1978 at your own risk. I was at Windterland and other shows in 1977 and still treasure those 78 shows I was lucky enough to attend. The next morning before I left the hotel, I got a wild hair and called the front desk and asked "Could I have Jerry Garcia's room please?" and the phone rang and Jerry answered! I said "Hey, I'm the guy that brought the dragon to the New Year's show" and Garcia said "Meet you in the coffee shop in 20 minutes". I couldn't believe what was happening but stumbled into the coffee shop at the appointed time and looked around and saw Jerry Garcia seated at a table with a ravishingly beautiful raven-haired gypsy woman. I walked over and introduced myself, and 'shook the hand, that shook the hand, of PT Barnum and Charlie Chan'. Jerry beamed that smile and gestured and said "sit down, man". He asked me "How did you fire that dragon so that it didn't explode in the kiln?" and I explained how I had cut it in half and hollowed it out and then joined it back together. I told him how I had used a guitar string to 'halve it" and we locked eyes at that moment and he burst into laughter and I said "Ironic, huh?" and Jerry quipped "No, man that makes perfect sense." And then we laughed some more. Then the gypsy/beauty said "where are you from?" and I replied Nebraska. And she shot Garcia a glance and stated "he came all the way up here from Nebraska to see the band!" To which Jerry shrugged his shoulders and retorted "we didn't ask him to come" and looked at me and we both howled with laughter again. No deadhead was she. We talked more about art and the dragon and I didn't know at that time of Garcia's interest and practice in art (this kind anyway). He was completely engaged in the topic of art, but quick witted with 'turn on a dime' twists, turns, and little commentaries on a variety of topics. Jerry was also focused on listening, not acting like he was the important one, giving me time and locked in on our discussion and talking about our shared interests. The gypsy woman frowned in disbelief as she asked me "You went out to San Francisco for New Years and then came to Wisconsin" and I said 'yes' and then I turned to Garcia and asked him "Why don't you bring the circus back to Lincoln, Nebraska?" He quickly replied "You mean to Perishing Auditorium?" And I corrected him "No, it is Pershing Auditorium, after the army general" and he quickly retorted "No man, it was perishing, really!" And we both burst out laughing again. At that Lincoln, Ne. Dead show on 2-26-73, there were a bunch of drunk frat boys yelling 'boogie, boogie" at the top of their lungs.., but that show is top-notch! Anyway, I asked Garcia "could you bring the Dead back to Nebraska" and Jerry grinned that Cheshire cat grin and said "who knows?" I took my leave (their breakfast arrived) and drove home. Then that summer the Dead came back to Omaha, Ne. on 7-5-78, and I taped them with my NAK 550 in FOB, and followed them to their/my first Red Rocks shows. What a run! So that is my story, Jerry Garcia was totally gracious, engaging, enthusiastic, and kind to a deadhead who approached him at one moment in time. I know, I repeat myself, such is my lot in life at this juncture, but thought I would 'complete the circle' of this story. See furthur down the thread for my account of these shows when Jerry did bring the boys back to NE (after KC and St. Paul) and then their (and my) maiden voyage at Red Rocks. I don't recall if I ever shared that Bob Weir had taken to wearing a full-head Werewolf mask when the band came out to encore with Werewolves of London. I remember seeing that mask in Chicago, and several other 1978 shows, St. Paul? Red Rocks? It was hilarious as he struggled to see/play/sing and the other guys goofing off him (Kinda like the boys in masks playing Big Boss Man cica 1972 in Europe). Not easy to do, but he was a pretty funny visual and really got us all into howling 'aaahoooooo' back to the band and Bobby. Hey Deadicated, wasn't Bobby wearing that mask in St. Paul? Didn't someone shoot off a firecracker in the hall during that show? Or maybe I just had a synapse....;o} Anyway, sorry for the repeat, but 'looks like the old man is getting on'.. And may you all get those shows you want and/or attended released soon complete with the Plantagenet treatment/process in the near future! This set shows it obviously CAN happen. I am taken aback. "It ain't what I don't know that gets me into trouble, it is what I know for sure, that ain't so". -Mark Twain
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

'78 Red Rocks is decent enough for the era, but probably better if you were there. The Frozen Logger Mississippi Half-Step New Minglewood Blues Brown Eyed Women My Brother Esau Loser Dupree's Diamond Blues One More Saturday Night Shakedown Street Crazy Fingers Samson and Delilah Uncle John's Band Playin' in the Band drums Dear Mr. Fantasy Hey Jude Reprise Dear Mr. Fantasy Truckin' Comes a Time Turn on Your Love Light Johnny B. Goode Baby Blue https://archive.org/details/gd1985-09-07.sbd-pcm.miller.33954.sbeok.fla… Now THIS is a show!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Many thanks man.. a great read and furthers the psyche that is July 1978. This box has a great feel to it. I minored in Art, and spent a decade or so behind a potters wheel. Very cool story. Speaking of, I know I commented already but I really dig the cover art. I wonder who the artist is?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

Space Brother the 80's were special (Alpine Valley Shows)and many more, But these 78' Red Rocks Shows were pretty amazing!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I agree that the 3 uncirculated shows make this box. Not sure any of the other Red Rocks shows hold a candle to 7/8/78. It's tough to beat the energy at these shows. Often in 1978, they would go a little too far, and get sloppy. That night, the pushed it exactly to the limit, and the hurricane of energy never tipped them over the edge. These aren't just the best Red Rocks shows, they're candidates for the best post-retirement SHOWS (although that is clearly up for debate).
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

As others have noted, the artwork on this looks wicked cool. The notes indicate that the artist is Paul Pope so I checked out his website. There is a lot of cool art there, check it out if you dig the art revealed so far. Also, the cover on the single show 7/8/78 looks great as well.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html