• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Wow, your tales. Wow. You are one step removed; a wealth of experience. Thank you for your sharing. You know, as I was reading your account of meeting Jerry and discussing the dragon statue, I realized I had seen a picture of it before and heard this story. It's very cool to get the firsthand account here. Love to see fans among fans, we are indeed everywhere. This board brings out some really great stuff and I'm appreciative of that. As well as all of the amazing music that never seems to stop flowing. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Woohoo! Finally my only attended birthday show is released. 7/8/78. Been waiting a while for this despite the numerous fabulous existing copies. Thanks guys!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for sharing such a cool story. I can only imagine talking to Jerry. Your a very fortunate to have connected like that. Peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

If they're already releasing 7/8 as a stand alone is it possible that eventually these will all be sold as individual shows? Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see anything about these never being available in CD format again. I don't really care about them being sold again as I'll likely die with this box and the rest of my Dead collection. I have no intentions of re-sale. It would just really suck to someday get the next DaP of my subscription to find it's a show I already have in this box. It's not really that far fetched to hear them saying how great the Omaha show was in this box and so many people missed out and have been asking for it that they released it as DaP 25.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yeah, isn't that crazy? I had copied the songs from the set list above and put them in a notepad document with the intention of sorting in an Excel sheet, but I had to strip away all of the extraneous data first (the names of the shows, the CD #s, etc, as I see you also had to do). After I pared it down to just the song names, I was able to import the txt file into one column of an Excel sheet and sort it. Then I copied it and went to post it and saw yours and thought we have too much time on our hands. I can't wait for May. 2 shows from June '76, 5 shows from July '78. What else could I ask for? Ok Full Norman and a cup of coffee. I'm listening to a decent board of 12-15-72. Just about anything from 1972 with Dark Star has my vote for release, but this one has an incredible Jam between Truckin' and Dark Star, and then it goes into Morning Dew. My only complaint with Lemeuix, Rhino, and Dead.net, is that they're not releasing material fast enough. I want it all. Well, the 70s stuff at least. I have a sinfully narrow music collection, and a penchant for repetition.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

SpaceBro I feel your pain. You've been polite with wanting more diversity and your stories about 80's shows are awesome. I hope this boxset gives you something special for DP's 19 and 20.Fox, you tend to show up to cause trouble with stupidity. My suggestion is to crawl back into your hole. I feel sorry for the 80's to 95 group. I really do and thank you for letting me keep the the spring of 90 box and still be able to get the 30 trips box. Those shows by themselves were not worth what you paid for because 30 trips is really priceless. Sorry but sacrifices had to be made. So yes I Ebay and I also contribute to the second hand market. If you don't like it don't buy it. This is a cock tease for whats to come for some of us and I'm ready for a slow fucking from these tapes so let us get off instead of talking about years for a minute.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I am often critical of dead.net/rhino, but for this release I have to give credit where credit is due - great selection, good price (easier to get the wife's approval), limited- but there is a large amount available, and an individual stand alone show from the run is also being released for those who just want from what I hear the most popular show. I can only hope that this is a new standard, and for this price I would be willing to purchase another box later in the year. The Nashville show also helped sell this for me. Its interesting to think of the uniqueness of shows that follow a prime year- there is an interesting unknown quality that I think is a good change up. I'm thinking of '71, '73, '75-76, and '78. Looking forward to this release- thanks again dead.net/rhino.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

Man, that was a wonderful story, man! One day, your children will appreciate the stories you have. Peace. Johnny
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Is the cream of the crop from the bunch, however I do love the 80's and Red Rocks. 2nd set of 6.14.84 killer ! For mid eighties Bring on a Ventura from July 1984 and add the Greek for good measures. Now that Red Rocks78 is on the way the 2nd set from 7.13.84 needs to be revisited. That one oozes legends. BCT84 run is also of some of the highest quality Stand alone from 84 is for sure to 6.27.84 Merriweather :) But if they could muster up the tape of 4.29.84 I would be in line for that as well. 6.30.84 also has a lot of Aces served up. I would love to see a 1984 set
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

1978 was a pretty good year won't say their last great year but a great year...I used to have the july 4th show on cassette but just tossed all my cassettes when CDs and CDRs got big...as there's 35 dicks picks, not sure how many road trip, dave's picks is up to 17 or 18 as we speak...then there's all the rhino releases and of course the numerous box sets so a lot of live grateful dead to listen to...this one is exciting because it's one we weren't expecting and I love the set list of the songs performed...for me this is a no brainer to get and am truly excited about receiving this in may sometime...you know there's going to be a Christmas time release which is September? Am I right in thinking that? I do know they did have spring releases but not sure if they followed that up with another box set in the fall...I don't think they'll ever have another 30 trips box set again...i'd truly go broke if that was an every year type deal but being addicted to this music i'd probably be in...but you know someday this will run out but it's not to say i'm bored because i'm not I listen to all the stuff I bought from them i'd easily say I listen to the Grateful Dead the most.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....no Cumberland. Joking of course. Cumberland was in hibernation mode at this time. I looked through my old tapes (yup, still got 'em). I have the 7.8.78 show, but no others. I'll be popping my first week of July 1978 cherry with this set, and the price is just exactly perfect. Happy camper indeed. Ohh, the surprises that await. Been listening to a lot of '76 and '78 recently. Looks like that trend will continue. Life is good. Ignore the haters. We are blessed that these Betty's are Normanized and released to the flock....
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I've never met anybody. Once walking in NYC with a group, everyone turned around looking and I was like, "what?",,, everybody was that was Dave Winfield. I think that was the name big baseball player in the day. Walked right past him, never saw him. Closest I've ever came to meeting a celeb.
user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

I'm real excited for this release and pre-ordered immediately. I'm most looking forward to the 7/1 show, I wonder how the country fans reacted to Terrapin. I think this will be the only box set of the year despite the curiously early release date because people are still recovering from the massively expensive (and massively great) year 2015 was. The last digital 30 trips release just barely sold out and in one of Dave's earlier chats this year he said it wouldnt be an overwhelming year box set wise. That being said, I'd be all in for a fall box set....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A while back I reread some books I have regarding the Dead, and tucked into one book, I found this quote from Jerry "I thought that maybe this idea of transforming principle has something to do with it. Because when we get onstage, what we really want to happen is, we want to be transformed from ordinary players into extraordinary ones, like forces of larger consciousness. And the audience wants to be transformed from whatever ordinary reality they may be, into something a little wider, something that enlarges them. So maybe it's the notion of transformation, seat of the pants shamanism, that has something to do with why the Grateful Dead keeps pulling them in. Maybe that is what keeps the audience coming back for and what keeps it fascinating for us too." So, I still can't recall everything that Jerry and I talked about that February morning almost 4 decades ago, but in a microcosm, it involved that same synergistic effect; I was so excited to talk to him, Jerry became jazzed to talk about art and symbols/mysticism (probably a break for him having to talk about the Dead & music, etc.), and while sharing our conversation, our interaction took on its own power. It took on it's own moment. I think that is what it was like when we joined with the Dead at those shows, their pouring out this unfathomable energy in that moment. And us in the audience rising in response with our collective surge pushing energy back to the Dead, which then propelled them to greater heights of aural adventure. Maybe I am just rambling on,.. but you know that the Grateful Dead did often get that 'dragon' off the ground, and into flight, with us all then levitating in the Dead's tow/draft. We were part that remarkable mixture of music + magic + visuals + adventure = alchemy. Then as we would watch/listen, with our mouths agape, as each of the Dead would tease, the improvisation, their 'call and response', Jerry's cascading leads ('catch me if you can'), Bobby's shimmering rhythm guitar, Phil's bass runs/bombs (that changed the very atmospheric pressure), Keith's keyboard interplay, Billy and Mickey's primal percussion then mutating into complex and compelling syncopation, urging and propelling the band further... and the bard Hunter's lyrics, that poetry, those revelations,...that song...and we would roar and exhort the Dead and pour that fervor into our tribal stomp and collective howl. And suddenly the moment slows and extends and everything becomes quite still, and that voice "nothing you can hold for very long..." .....And then all of us stumble out into that crystalline cool evening. Sad eyes, heads shaking, and smiles which alternated between satiation and longing for more. The truth is realized in an instant, the act is practiced step by step.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....sounds interesting. Cold Rain, BIODTL, Scarlet -> Fire, Dancin -> Drumz. Had to read that twice before I got it....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I get the complaint about Dave shutting out the 80's/90's (and '66-'68). I share it. But with the Bettys back on board, I'd expect a slew of new '71-'78 stuff. Big tent, legendary type shows. Mickey's last show, the first of the ESP run (2/18/71). Kezar '73. Cornell & Buffalo '77. Summer '76. Fall '73. And Red Rocks '78 belongs in that pantheon. Especially 7/8/78. Point being, a release of 7/8/78 isn't the proper time to complain about the lack of 80's releases. Do that when we have an 'average' show from the '69-'78 era, not a legendary one. Would I like some more '89, '85, '87? Yes. Or even '88/'80? Yes. '66-'68? Yes. Even '91 or '81. ('90 is pretty well represented). But when 7/8/78 comes out, I'm not complaining, I'm celebrating. This is as good as the GD gets.
user picture

Member for

9 years

Last I checked the count of 60s & 70s vs. 80s & 90s last year was Dead even last year. 30 Trips had 17 shows from the 80s & 90s, while the 60s & 70s had 13 in that set (add the four Dave's Picks from last year and you get 17 from the 60s & 70s). There is no problem, just petulant children. 80s/90s beggars - put your bowls away.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

This is a very exciting box set for several obvious reasons. The legendary Red Rocks show and the implications of lost Betty Boards being returned to the vault. I've never heard any of these July '78 shows, so I'm really into this release. The question will be if I manage to fund a purchase before it's sold out. I definitely agree that a May '77 part 2 would make perfect sense for it's 40th anniversary next year, assuming those tapes can also get or have already been returned. However, I would probably be just as excited to see a 5/9/77 DaP 20 to round off the year. So... whatever. Just keep the hits coming.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Bold prediction this will sell out after it's been released not sure if a lot alot of people will lay out the $$$ for this set in these hard times...You know they did a lot of 1989 and 1990 releases (a lot of 1990) otherwise they weren't that good although from the 30 tips box set the years they put out shows they were pretty good but I don't think you'll ever see a 1972 release again a whole entire tour..not just a leg...you can't say what will come...I think a lot of us swore we'd see a leg of 1980 shows more spedifically the acoustic/electric sets but my intellect tells me we won't ever see that happen as it would've happened already...unless those tapes haven't surfaced yet maybe someone will clean out their cellar one day and find soundboards...this is a great find this 1978 box set more spedifically the red rocks shows...but we'll see what happens in the future but you can't be unhappy with the progress of releases...we are definitely not hungry for more material but are left wondering what could be next...like the next dave's pick will be...some people already know.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Looks like a very interesting set. Good time for the band. But I'm still waiting for the REAL DEAL: The box sets of TEXAS '72 and WINTERLAND '74 (Oct.)!
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Morning rockers!!!! Not the biggest 78 fan, but glad to see previously uncirculated shows coming out....... Perhaps the abundance of 1969-1978 reflects more on the quality of the music AND the quality of the recordings combined, than anything else............... April is fast approaching............... Keep it rockin', my friends! Doc
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Oroboros, if Weir was wearing his werewolf get-up for the St. Paul show, but I'm pretty sure Jerry was wearing shorts for the Arrowhead Stadium cooker - an odd image, what?
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

But I'm still holding my spork, waiting for a hearty portion of 80's and 90's For starters I will take 8.19.80 1981 - too many to list, but I'll toss a few out, Feb Uptown shows, 7.5.81 and 10.4.81 1982 - wow !!! Some treats hear people, may need a big bowl for this one. 5.23.82 !!!! And if that doesn't fill up the belly then how about 9.14.82 from Charlottesville. And just to make sure the belly is full 10.17.82 and 12.30.82, 1982 may require a nap and bib, lots of drooling 1983 - 4.13.83 some of Vermont's finest 1984 - 6.27.84 and so many more 1985 - November 1985 - lots of good stuff - 11.2.85, 11.5.85 , 11.21.85
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Oroboros, THANK YOU for sharing some amazing stories these past few days and for transporting us all back to those magical times. Your quote from Jerry that I read this morning reveals some of the mystery and wonder behind that magic. The quote can be found in its entirety in the RS Jerry Interview from 10/31/91: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jerry-garcia-the-rolling-stone-i… We're up to our ears in literature on Jerry and the Grateful Dead right now, but other notable Rolling Stone interviews with Jerry include: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-… http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-… http://www.jannswenner.com/archives/jerry_garcia_part1.aspx
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I've only poked this one show you mentioned, but the recording I have is a solid OK. For all the talk about lousy recordings this one sounds good enough for release. I like Brent's keys in "they love each other".
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

As previously noted, the curated Dead tribute project now has a release date: May 20. See story below. http://pitchfork.com/news/62163-the-national-announce-grateful-dead-tri… Also, I forget who it was but the talk of Manassas triggered me to check it out and while I've heard a few of those songs from the CSN box, I can't believe I'm just now discovering the rest of that great album (think Rodeo-era Byrds meet CSNY in a dusty San Diego bar near the border and Carlos Santana sits in for most of it). That diversion also led to a rediscovery of Dave Mason and Poco and Weir's Kingfish. Early 70s country cosmic goodness. RE: Bus stop: I got in with studio albums in high school (1990-1992). Saw them in 1993 sadly just once in Atlanta. Wrote Jerry's obit for my college newspaper (Red&Black, Athens, GA) then went on Dead hiatus until about 4 years ago when a warm spring camping trip reignited the flame and have been devouring live recordings ever since (much to the chagrin of my wife). I'll pose a question: Which other American band means as much? I can't think of one that even comes close.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

that is a show that would go into my top ten. The last time I heard it, I was floored with awe.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

9/7/85 would have been a much better RED ROCKS show to release....in fact that whole RED ROCKS 1985 run is better than 1978 IMHO. I also prefer 9/5/85, GREAT SHOW/GREAT SETLIST! There was one responder to SpaceBro(typical basher of anyone who doesn't like only 1969-1978), stating that the Red Rocks 1978 shows were far & away the best Red Rocks shows the band ever played & IT WAS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION----uhhhhh, NO- I disagree, a lot of fans would have much rather had 1979,1982,1984, and/or 1987 for a RED ROCKS run release of Dead shows.... I can appreciate that there are 3 SBD shows in this 1978 package that are uncirculated, and the enthusiasm for 7/8/78. Jerry certainly seems to have a "jump" in his step for this show in particular.....BUT- 1) we've had enough releases from 1970-1978 to last the next 5 years, for FCKsake move to another decade(1980s) 2) these shows will sound just like the rest of 1978: somewhat sloppy, Jerry out-of-tune, and Donna definitely out of tune to the point of schreeching.....the band really turned the corner in 1979(and got tight again) when Brent joined IMHO. Signed, the Troll
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

What I wrote in my response to Spacebrother was that "this is clearly up for debate". Kinda goes directly against your accusation of shutting down discussion. Self-described troll, why do you come here? No one appreciates your input, which is negative and sad. You might as well be writing your comments in a private journal; it would be less embarrassing.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still the best story ever.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

July 7th and 8th are awesome, as much as I like Brent era shows, the first two shows at Red Rocks propels those other later year shows into a somewhat mythical status because of what they did there first 80's Red Rocks moment that is killer check out 7.28.82 - He's Gone into Truckin' - specifically the transition after "nothing gonna bring him back" vocal jam out, sweet stuff https://archive.org/details/gd1982-07-28.sbd.browning-feinberg.32707.sb…
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I saw it! Oh, the wonderful world of Youtube. Thanks again for retelling the story of the Dragon and talking to Jerry. Hopefully one of these days you'll get to do some liner notes!
user picture

Member for

9 years

Wishful thinking, and I do love Jerry, but I'm not deaf - his voice deteriorated in the 80s, and it's just not that easy to listen to him struggle, when you're used to the quality of the 70s. I think you need to listen to more 70s. I'm buying you the box set!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

yes.. Oroboros for President. What could possibly go wrong?
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Maybe you need more Jerry in your diet. The only thing makes this music suck is new people getting on the bus and think they know everything.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

Lots of love for these shows finally getting released. We had heard that the original tapes for the Red Rocks shows were not in the Vault, so that has now been solved. Dave was very clear in his video that others may find there way "home" and he mentioned Cornell at least twice; my guess would be a May '77 II box next year IHO the 40th anniversary of those shows. I am sure the details are complicated .... So this will arrive around the same time as DaP 18 will be released, so these will be in competition with each other, especially since 7/8/78 will be available as a single show. Curious to see how quickly #18 sells out .... And now that the USB version of 30 TATS is sold out, perhaps we will see downloads for those shows become available (although the '77 show is now the RSD release). So much Dead, so little time (and money); an abundance of riches for which we are Grateful.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

but to complain about 7/8/78 (and others) being released instead of 9/7/85 (a show that I like just fine; i get its power) or even 8/13/87 (really, queen?) just doesn't make sense. to me. and yes 80s releases would be welcome. but dude. "not 7/8/78" is a "bruh" moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYl0U0QLoGA
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

didn't they play Big River in St. Paul instead of doing it in Kansas City the show before? I'm sure there is a MUCH better 80's show from St. Paul that they did play Big River at that should have been released instead of this one.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Thanks to everyone for the great vibes, it's like being at a great dead show with all your friends, everyone with mile wide smiles, High fives everywhere, dancing and screaming and laughing and just everyone having a great time. This is close to a top five grateful dead show, definitely top ten and there should not be a complaint anywhere, which is obvious by all the wonderful stories and tales on this thread. Oroboros, your story is just so good and, as the little old lady told Forest Gump sitting on the park bench "you tell it so well". I don't know how you can remember all those details from something that happened almost 40 years ago, I myself can't remember a lot of "those days". I guess meeting and talking to Jerry would stick in your mind forever, it sure would me. Thanks for the memories, it was a great story. I've been sick with the flu and did not even know this was happening till this minute and am so glad I drug my sick butt out of bed and came to this site, I for one will order this set immediately as soon as I can find my cc under all these puffs and medications. I'm not feeling up to par, but now, after reading these notes, feel a lot better. Thanks again deadheads, you guys are the best.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Against 1970-1971! We need more Pigpen! :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Cool write up about these lost tapes. Has anyone considered a Kickstarter-type thing where we all chip in $10 to buy the tapes back from the party who wants money?
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I'm in, just tell me where and to whom should receive my money. I'd even double it to twenty without a thought. What an idea. It could really work.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

From what I recall the guy who bought Betty's unpaid storage locker thinks he won the Powerball! Which means he is asking an exorbitant amount of money. Th GD Org does not want to be ripped-off buying back their own music. The guy with the tapes was really adamant in holding out for every last nickle. That is the long and short of it. Maybe we could stick him up? Or a little B&E? Bill and Ted's Excellent Breaking and Entering? "Hey Dude where's our tapes?!?" Special guest appearances by Cheech and Chong along with Senator Al Franken.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I don't ever mean to tell someone what to do, but some friendly advise here for you: Why not sign up at Dead.net for their email notifications? You will never have to check in here to see what is new for sale. The minute they put something new up, you get an email with an ordering link to make it real easy. The funny thing this time was that somebody actually did beat Dead.net to the punch. I found out about this '78 box here and placed my order before I got the Dead.net email. Looking forward to this very much. I myself have never heard any of these shows so I cannot wait until May. I guess very few of us have heard the first 3 shows in the box but the Red Rocks shows have been touted by many here for a long time. It sure is a wonderful time to be a Dead Head! Rock on
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

$130! What a ripoff! All GD music should be remastered with copious notes, photos all in deluxe packaging with extra goodies included! And given away for free! Also I should be paid for my posting on this website! Capitalist pigs! If Jerry were still alive....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I can't think of any other band past or present that have as much music released or being released. On the heels of an 80 CD box set in addition to February's subscription release, we have another box set (only 12 CDs this time - thank God) and yet another subscription release. What other band does this?
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html