• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

re Doors memories: I don't remember any awful Jim drunken escapades, but then I don't remember a whole lot of anything. I was 16-18 when I saw them, and completely sober. I wouldn't have known about thin sound as I had nothing to compare to. Don't remember going to any other notable concerts back then. Upon further research, I was at 5/11/68 and 5/8/70 in Detroit and 2/15/70 in Chicago. 11/20/71 and 8/14/72 (or 9/3/72) in Detroit post-Jim. Gotta dig through the ticket stubs... Apparently the 5/8/70 was the longest Doors concert ever.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Canada is in America, North America that is, along with the USA. That's why it the United States OF America and the another part of it is called Canada. I'd say the American moniker fits them well as they dealt with song content that encompassed wide swaths of American history and themes not exclusive to the United States.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I saw them at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 and I did not enjoy it one bit. That said, I was not a fan of the band. I had listened extensively to their albums as my brother had them all, but had never really got into them. Their performance on the Isle of Wight reinforced my opinion that they had little to offer. I did subsequently make the effort to visit Jim Morrison's grave in Paris, but only because I was staying nearby.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I have to throw out Van Halen as one of the all time great American bands. From the classic Van Halen I to 1984 there is hardly a bad tune on any of those studio albums. You also can't under estimate their superb musicianship or good times they brought to the rock and roll world.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Some names I haven't seen for your consideration Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, Butthole Surfers, NIN...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

I would like to see a slipcase with 2 components, a hardcover containing the discs and a second with the essays, also hardcover. Along the lines of the SSDD limited but with a hardcover essay book
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Listening to “THE BOX” this morning. 1978 (which was great) and onto 1979 and the first thing I hear is plink, plink, plink, plink, plink, and more plink.Did Brent think the Flock of Seagulls Casio was appropriate for Jack Straw, Candyman, Me and My Uncle, Big River? He did really improve through the years but this 79 is a tough listen and I like 79 Dead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Working my way through the box in sequence, I was horrified when I got to 1979. All the energy seemed to have drained out of the band and yep, there was the Toys-R-Us piano to contend with. Things gradually got better through the '80s but they never got back to pre-'79 levels. I preferred the '90s shows to the '80s shows, with '79 being the low point of the whole box. But then again, I don't think any line-up was as good as the "Magnificent Seven" from the late '60s.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Yeah, this ruins what would be some otherwise enjoyable shows for me. I agree about the 90s stuff in the box too - better than 80s because it's without Plinko. I wish it didn't bother me, and I revisit this material every 6 months or so. His keys were cool to my ears when he was doing Feel Like A Stranger on DaP 8, and several songs on Nassau and Dead Set. I'm not a keyboard effionado, but I believe from what I've read on this board, it's the moog or polymoog as well as the Hammond B3 organ that make the sounds my ears prefer, and I'm not sure what keyboard makes the skin crawling tinky-tonk, perhaps the Fisher Price 420. I like the notes he plays, he's a talented musician. I blame Jerry, perhaps unfairly, for allowing this into their soundscape. Maybe Phil and Bobby deserve some of the constructive criticism, I just always got the impression that Jerry was the unsung leader and decision maker. Also can't deal with Brent's vocals as time went on. His voice was less abrasive to my ears early on, but as Jerry began to falter in the 80s, Brent moved into a more involved role, and soon all old songs were marred (to my ears). Everyone talks about Jerry's voice declining, and Bobby screaming the vocals, not singing them in the 80s, but I hear a degradation in Brent's singing voice too by '87, which I don't hear in the early 80s. Put all that together, and there's no question in my ears, which period was "better". I do enjoy some of the stuff that was written and performed during the Brent years, but even a great tune like Feel Like A Stranger was hurt by the Plinko keyboards. I will keep trying though. There are a couple of very loud 80s fans who swear by it often. I'm just hoping the reason isn't a lack of 70s exposure.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

whole heartedly agree. George Clinton has done more for American music than almost anyone I can think of. Still going strong too. As a band, Pfunk has always been in the business of blowing minds on stage. Don't miss them if they come around
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

i had my virgin listen to 9/4/79 yesterday. the compendium reviewer is Brian Dyke, who as usual is blah. do _not_ pay attention to that guy. Have you ever heard the jam out of He's Gone, which then goes into an insane Drums? Aye, bruddah, magnificent.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I was rather enjoying that trip, its my current listen. Lots of new energy and new ideas floating around. ..whats.. hey somebody just crushed my buzz. Like seeds in weed I say..
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Secret Earth: Yellowstone Super Volcano is on the History channel as I write this. Thought I would add since we were talking about Rainier and Yellowstone blowing their tops recently. Fire on the Mountain...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

With well over 30 years of listening to the Dead, and having collected literally thousands upon thousands of hours from every era of them, including virtually every long time favorite shows, I find myself preferring the '80's more than ever. I rather enjoy the sound of the chime of the modified Fender Roades Brent played predominantly between '79 and '81. I would agree that he grew more into the band with each passing year where Keith pretty much fell into steady decline post retirement. During the first couple of years of the bands existence, Pigpens keyboard sound of choice was pretty cheesy to my ears where he sounded like he was playing a roller skating rink keyboard. I used to pan Bruce's accordion but grew to like it more as time has went on. Vince's keyboard sounds were often over-processed to my ears though by '92 he was using more piano and organ patches. Lack of exposure to the '70's? Nope. Been there....done that. Will certainly go there again when I feel the urge to as I like all era's. I just like the '80's more.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

if anything "ruins" any GD for you, then you're doing it wrong. Agree that Brent's choice of keys was less-than-ideal, but 10/27/79 is a HOT show. My issues with Brent have more to do with his song-writing, and less than his skills as a keyboardist/vocalist. The plinky keys are gone by 1984 or so, so I can deal with it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I agree in every aspect. First off, it's all picking nits. If something 'ruins' it for you (Donna screams, Bobby screams, missed lyrics, Pigpen raps, Brent's plinky keys, etc) then you ARE doing it wrong. Yes, no doubt, Brent could be a tad too bitter sometimes (Never Trust a Woman, Don't Need Love, Tons of Steel). But he did come up with a couple of pretty good non-bitter songs: We Can Run, Easy to Love You, I Will Take You Home, even Far From Me and Just A Little Light weren't bad. And all the bitter ones weren't bad (Blow Away). On the '79 Trip. I, too don't really like the plinky keys, but the show it still hot.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Are we limiting it to rock? I mean, Jazz/R&B/Funk & Soul should get a shout, yes? James Brown, Miles Davis, B.B. King, George Clinton, Sly & the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Meters. Not to mention the rest of Motown (Supremes, Jacksons, Temps, Tops, Smokey Robinson, Commodores) and more Jazz & Blues luminaries. If we are sticking to rock, I applaud the Velvet Uderground mention. Crosby, Stills, & Nash also probably deserve a shout (is there a Canadian there?). Also Jimi Hendrix. But Bob Dylan has to top them all, yes? And if folk/pop is included, Paul Simon deserves a mention.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Yes to all of those and then the ones weve forgotten. But let's not forget about Neil Young if you're mentioning CSN...he was Canadian after all :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Did you say 9/4/79?!?!?!?! Great show! That was the opening night of a three night MSG NYC September 1979 run -- and what a great three-night-stand it was. Brent's first MSG show. Brent was making his big time/league debut and The GD slayed the dragon those nights. These shows deserve a mini box treatment or folded into a late 79 box. . .. Just sayin'. Dave. . ..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Thanks! I do like The Doors and have a number of Bright Midnight live cds. That Jimbo what a character! I do agree with the poster who said that with Morrison Hotel and LA Woman The Doors were just hitting their stride and if Jim had lived and gotten healthier than they would have had a number of equally good future LPs. I know that they were planning on adding Jerry Schef on bass for a more professional future tour. Oh the What Ifs of musical history? I have a Doors boot with Bret Scalions on vocals and they sound great even on more complicated numbers like The Soft Parade and the LA Woman just smokes. My high school math teacher Ms. C had seen them and loved them.
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

The Red Rocks shows from Aug 12 and McNichols Aug 13 are monster '79 shows, but the plink in the 30 Trips box -- encountered on a late night drive out of the foothills canyons here along the Front Range of Colorado after listening to the 1971 selection - led me to immediately shelve it in favor of something more appealing to the ears. So, yeah, some '79 shows will eventually make it to official release and the two I cited might be contenders. The first night, Aug 12, we blazed mightily and the band was super tight, even searing. The next night, Aug 13, remains emblazoned on my mind. My girlfriend and I both dropped a considerable dose and just as the band came on stage, she had to go to the bathroom! So I accompanied her and, just before she enters the ladies room she turns to me with near-fear on her face. "You'll be right here when I come out, r-r-right?" "If it takes forever, darling," I replied, somewhat unsure what the next ten minutes would bring. We made our way back onto the floor of the arena and to our row and scooted into our seats -- actually, everyone was standing on their seats -- and Bobby said something like, "It may do you some good to know that it's raining like hell outside," the crowd erupted (so glad to not be left out in the pouring rain) and just then Phil & Co unleashed the bomb that started a monstrous version of "Shakedown Street." Next thing we know, we're tripping our (her) tits off, but safe in a groovy row with our pals and the band played on. To sum up, plinking bad, no-plink '79 good.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I come back from an unplugged trip to Florida to find this! Didn't run into the erstwhile Florida Bob though, I am worried about that very cool fellow. As for the box - Whoo hoo! Looks to me from the video that they'll be getting Betty Boards back in drips and drabs, which is great I guess. Never thought of that option (versus all or nothing). The Doors: I always loved them, though I seldom listen today. I see what Jerry means I guess, but it seems harsh and surprisingly closed minded. I knew a classical guitar player in college (a teacher), and I asked him if he liked any rock guitarists. I expected Hendrix or one of the usual suspects, but he said Robbie Krieger. Then he played a bunch of Doors tunes on his classical guitar and I went, "oh wow!" Underrated guitar player. For those who want just one Doors album, might I suggest the recently re-issued "Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine" compilation. I've had the album since 1985 or so - one of those rare compilations that works as a cohesive "album" on it's own (think "Legend" by Marley). Brilliant compilation album. American Rock Bands: Great calls. As I read through the forum to catch up, I found myself saying "What about Van Halen (yes, up to "1984"), REM, the Ramones? And voila, you guys got to 'em. I would add other contenders too - Nirvana, Guns and Roses (Appetite alone vaunts them into some rarefied air), Sonic Youth, Uncle Tupelo/Wilco. And, for me, hands down, the winner of "Best American STUDIO Band" would be: Steely Dan. (Personally, I would put the Mother Hips up there too, but they aren't popular enough to reach "great" status). Creedence Clearwater and Tom Petty are pretty quintessentially American too... Plinky keys: Count me among those who like them. My favorite Brent years are actually 79-81 in part for that reason. Whereas his piano sound of the late-80s sounds like something that wants to sound like a piano, but doesn't quite (it sounds ersatz to me). Deadegad, how about a Sep 79 box? :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Yeah, I left Neil off because I know he's Canadian. If we are going to talk American rock, I'd also nominate Talking Heads.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Gotta hear the rest of that run. 79...gotta love 79 says (looks like) rainman Dave's chats are...interesting. incredible hottest really incredible a duck shows incredible. Love you Dave. I want your gig.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I guess Spinal Tap is completely out then...
user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

Yes I agree with the disturbing plinky tone reference but the 79 Trip is still fantastic. The He's Gone into the Other One sequence is off the charts. I've completed 66 through 79. Next up the 80's. My expectations are somewhat low so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised with those trips. American Bands: The Doors were indeed remarkable. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are an American treasure. Glad someone mentioned Van Halen, great party music. I am referring to the David Lee Roth years. Though Jerry way back when did not think too much of EVH in an interview. I guess he spawned a lot of guitarists that were more into guitar stunts or gymnastics than playing & writing great songs. Fogerty sure wrote plenty of great timeless CCR songs over the years as well. On the boogie rock/blues side ZZ top & Canned Heat deserve a nod here. Santana, The Meters & Little Feat sure could lay down grooves. For the alternative scene the Meat Puppets, Dinosaur Jr & Yo La Tengo stand out. As far as newer bands Phish & even Moe on the jam side. Lastly, Spoon out of Austin Texas are worth checking out.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Arthur Lee's various incarnations of Love are worthy of consideration. Seeing them at small clubs in Hollywood in '66-67 was an unforgettable experience. All this talk about The Doors has helped uncross some synapses. In late '66 I once helped drive equipment for my town's local band, the New Generation. It was one Saturday night in early December and they were playing with two other bands at the Sea Witch. https://www.facebook.com/SeaWitchSunsetStrip As I drove into the small parking lot in back there was a white van blocking my way. Written on the side doors of the van was The Doors. I yelled at the driver to get the fuck out of my way so I could help unload the equipment. He did. After the show we were all invited to that other band's producer's place up in the Hollywood Hills. We had taken acid and were sitting around in the kitchen. Being a sixteen year old of no musical import and with hair that conformed with the dress code of my rightwing high school (hair not touching the ears or collar) I was not of any particular interest to the ladies there. This did not do my sense of confidence and raging hormones any good at all. Someone put an acetate of an album that was due to be released the next week. That was the first time I heard The Doors debut album. I got home around dawn, picked up the Sunday newspaper and brought it in just as my very straight parents were waking up. I lucked out as it made it look like I had gotten up just before them and had not been out all night. As you have probably figured out by now that guy I had yelled at to move the van - Jim Morrison
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

Not forgetting Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mountain, Canned Heat, Butterfield Blues Band, & Byrds, although I've not played much of this lately due to the GD taking listening precedence. Still not in any great hurry to splurge out my hard earned dosh on the latest GD vinyl offings, the prices being asked for with import fees plus postage to the UK just make me wince, shame really because I love my Vinyl, it's just as well I have them as CD's already available in Boxzilla. One day I will get them when they are offered at a sensible price, (Second Hand or Job Lot, or Overstocks)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

It's great to see "old" guard bands like The ALLMAN BROS, THE BYRDS, CCR, AND PAUL BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND called out for great American Band even if CAPTAIN BEEFHEART is passed over. It gives my heart great joy to see PATTI SMITH GROUP, MEAT PUPPETS, YO LA TENGO, SONIC YOUTH, and DINOSAUR JR. called out as well.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Thank you, Direwulf for addressing something that aggravates me to no end. YES, Canada is in America!I get that common use is part of language and I know what people usually mean when they say, "American." Not sure why I can't just let it go but it bugs the hell out of me. We need another word to specify US American. Well, most people don't seem to need a new word...just my own hangup. So yeah, The Band and Neil, great American artists. I agree with Claney, best STUDIO American band is Steely Dan. Bob Dylan is right up there with the Dead for me even though he's a solo artist. I would also throw Los Lobos into the conversation although they're probably not among the true heavyweights. They're pretty damn American...AND from the US ;) I liked the Doors a lot as a teen, part of the interest was sparked by the very readable book, No One Here Gets Out Alive, but my opinion has waned significantly as I've aged. I like some of the songs but don't think all that much of Morrison as a singer or a writer. I thought I read somewhere that Jerry didn't like Morrison's manipulation of the crowd during their performances. Didn't Jerry refer to that as a "power trip" on Morrison's part?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

They said exactly what I tried to say, "To sum up, plinking bad, no-plink '79 good.".79 is top notch in my book and I would really like to see a Dave's pick or mini box of 79 (no plink of course).
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'm pretty sure Nigel's accent is British. Wasn't Plinko that game on the Price Is Right, where the big round chips slide down the board bouncing off the pegs? I'd agree with the statement that there is no evidence of Keith's playing declining on any of the shows I have from '76 - '78, up to and including 12/31/78. There is actually some great stuff on that Closing of Winterland show (Ramble On Rose, Playing In The Band, Big River come to mind), but yeah, the problem with Keith in those years is that he was confined to playing tedious rhythm for large sections of the show (like 20 minutes of Not Fade Away), instead of improv with the rest of the band for huge stretches of experimental "let's see where this takes us" segments in the shows. If you listen to songs like Bertha, Promised Land, Wharf Rat, Cold Rain & Snow, etc - he's pretty much playing the same way he played them in '78 as he did in '72. The delta between a '72 and '78 show is in that the large stretches of improv don't exist in '78. It's a much more straight-forward 1,2 rhythm section that leaves little space for the talents of Keith Godchaux. It is what it is, that's how the folks in the band other than him wanted the music to sound. No need to be bitter about it, Keith's in a way better place now, playing with Jerry, Moon, Lennon, and Entwhistle. What a fucking band that must be!
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey all, I just discovered that the 2015 "30 Days of the Dead" downloads are now streaming on Spotify. This makes me happy as I don't like downloads, but especially because it means the band actually gets some royalties from my listening of these free downloads they provided. It's wonderful hearing them all together like this - and I even resisted the temptation to listen to them chronologically - it's great hearing them in "random" order. The Dark Star holy crap. LoveJerry - I'm all for debates over things like whether Keith's playing declined. But I don't understand why you want to tell someone to "shut the f--k up" or to call someone an asshole. I just don't get it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Rob Reiner is American. Do I get partial credit for that? Just having a little fun.. somebody has to keep this party alive or it might just turn into buzzkill Sunday. Help me people..
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey Jim, I'm not funny, but I'll try to help you. Just not by being funny. I saw a list of "Best American bands" once which had the Jimi Hendrix Experience somewhere in the Top Five. Now that's pushing it... Question: You see three flies in the bathroom. How do you know which one is the Deadhead? Answer: The one on the pot.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

One I always see is the citation of Keith only mimicking Jerry's lead in the later years. Is there any evidence of that? Keithfan - Nice post and from what I've heard, I would concur. There was some good discussion awhile back, and it was probably you, about how Mickey's return was the beginning of the end for Keith due to the change in sound not his own abilities, and I would likely agree. That aside, I welcome any posts from the 80s / 90s diehards, wish it didn't have to get down to personal insults, I love all the input besides that garbage. Please keep posting and hope everyone can stay respectful along the way. Me, I am just wrapping up the Playing > UJB > Morning Dew > UJB > Playing from the '73 Winterland set.Picked that one up early in my Dead listening (err..2014) from Mill Valley music (BJ Hunnicutt?) on Amazon..really cool, I see some verbiage online how they did the same sandwich elsewhere that year? Love the Butterfield Blues Band mentions too, I know I'm preaching to the choir but if you haven't heard their first album (and I'll lump in the 'Lost Elektra' sessions too) then you need to remedy that immediately yesterday. Also, there are no ignorant mules, only ignorant questions. Wait..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

Don't have a quote on hand... but Im pretty sure that that info about Keith following the lead came from Jerry himself
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I would treat it more like a failed relationship. Lets let them have their peace and give them all the respect they have earned. Brilliant musicians, brilliant band, add some demons and 800 lb gorilla's on peoples backs. Thank you Betty for taking such great notes.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Well said, Jim. Moving on, I know at least a handful won a 'golden ticket' in the 30 Trips set..has anyone redeemed and shared the details? Just curious. A little Elvis up on random now..I'll Remember You (not the Dylan song but I'll let it slide) with the Jordanaires, 1966. Not one I know, but always pretty. I got into Elvis but had no ambition to see Graceland before we ended up going. I was really surprised, enjoyed it immensely. Peter Guralnick's two part biography is a fantastic read, too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

It's all been said. Jerry complained, but I've never heard any evidence of mimicry of the lead guitar lines (ironically, except by Brent sometimes). There was no significant "decline". He didn't plink. He probably got out at the right time, given the substance problems. I'll always regret not seeing them sooner, while Keith was still in the band. Actually, I didn't know about the personnel change until Brent walked out on stage in Portland, ME on his first tour. I was open minded and enjoyed many a show. But the 70s flavors will always be my faves. There's no accounting for it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

I get that Brent/80s shows can be tough to adjust to, but how anyone can have any problem with the 1979 30 trips show is tough for me to wrap my head around....that show smokes from beginning to end (and is probably the best show of the entire year)! Every sunday i load up my car with the shows that i'm going to be listening to during my long daily commute each morning. This week i have the 79, 83, & 85 shows from the box set, along with dicks picks 13 (may 81)....going to get my fill of Brent this week! on another note, i'm super excited for the 78 box set - placed my order this week and will be but a short couple of months before it arrives. life is good -
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years

Should be interesting to get a glimpse of the packaging...It kind of seems like the smaller the box, the better the cd cases. Unless slip cases are preferred- and to me slip cases are kind of the Slugworth of Wonka's chocolate village. Oompa Loompa- that's obviously the best packaging- those little guys do it right. This Box is such a sweet score- and some masterwork behind the scenes to spring this one on us- Just when I thought it's getting tougher to surprise us.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Right on Zuck. I want an Umpah Lumpah... I am hoping for a smooth, high quality, defect free box.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Does anyone remember Dave mentioning a Pip Pen boxed set in one of his seaside chats? I hope that becomes a reality, maybe in September? I was listening to a show from '71 today where he was smoking on the harmonica during RR Blues. What are y'all favorite Pig songs that would need to be included in such a box? I was also thinking another cool idea for a boxed set would all the NYE shows. What would be the top 5-10 shows that y'all feel would need to be included? I too am excited for the current boxed set!! I have not been disappointed in any of the offerings so far. 30 Trips really opened my ears about about some of the underrepresented years. Another peaceful Sunday night....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html