• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

LoveJerry. The more you post, the more I like you. Call it Plinko or whatever you want. The keyboard sound circa late 70s renders the band virtually unlistenable. Shakedowns and Dancin in the Streets are total abominations to my ears. Yes, I understand the recent posts about their merits, but I just don't get it. If nothing else, you need to applaud the band for continually striving for a new sound. I personally can't handle the later stuff, most of which I saw live. As for under the radar bands. Freddy Jones and From Good Homes (the prior incarnation of Railroad Earth)
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Off the top of my head, I'd say my three favorite post Keith shows are 10-27-79, 9-18-87 and 7-17-89. I'm in the minority in that I struggle with some of Brent's playing on DaP8, especially during Stranger and Around. I love Brent but prefer his later work both vocally and on keys. But I enjoyed the '80 and '81 shows from Boxzilla so I should give DaP8 another listen soon--it's been awhile. Not tonight, though. I try to listen to JGB Warner Theater show every year on Palm Sunday.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My Spinal Tap joke fell flat. It was a good attempt you made, as always, to smooth out the bumpy vibes, and it worked (as always). Cheers to JimInMD for never having a bad thing to say about anyone or anything. THAT's the Dead vibe. Packaging for July 1978, hmmm. I like the Winterland packages, and would pleased with an exact replica (tri-fold digipak style covers, booklet, etc), but somehow I don't think that's what it's going to be. I wasn't too jazzed with the May 1977 artwork and packaging. The box was cool, the way it snaps shut, but the covers fell apart on me, and the pages of the book came unglued and separated from the spine. Rdevil, funny you mention not liking Brent on Stranger from DaP 8 - it's my favorite version! I like the minimoog he uses for the main Stranger melody. He got away from that in later versions... Edit - LOL rdevil, that was awesome (i.e what the duck are we listening to?)
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Hadn't heard the one about the flies, not bad.I'm always interested to hear more Dead jokes. I've mentioned a couple old ones in the past and will repeat them here after Jim's plea for levity. What did one deadhead say to the other when they ran out of drugs? A: What the fuck are we listening to? Why do the Grateful Dead have two drummers? A: In case one of them falls asleep. Anyone else?
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

How many Deadheads does it take to screw in a light bulb?A: 501.One to screw in the light bulb,one to tape it and 499 to follow 'em around. What did the militant horses demand? A: HEY NOW! ;)
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Betty boards and werewolves of London was all you needed to say for me to add this bad boy to my cart. I do agree that Keith was in a rythumick stranglehold in the late 70's but I don't agree that he was in any kind of decline before he left the band. Favorite Keith year is 74 and he absolutely smokes on Daves 17. On a side note I love the way Keith would look when he played. Was he pissed off or was he in deep concentration. Occasionally a smirk but never a smile and always a cheap domestic beer on top of that piano. A very mysterious and quite man indeed but what he could do on those keys. He was a true artist and definitely not a rock star.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Fantastic show. Bid You Goodnight makes a comeback with Johnny B. Goode as the encores. The last GDTRFB>NFA. Channeling 1971. Summer '88 to Spring '90 was smokin'. Best of Brent, though '87 adn '85 were also strong, ditto '79/'80. For an excellent Brent show, check out 4-8-89 Riverfront Coliseum (I think I have the date right). Best Blow Away ever. LTGTR. Fantasy>Jude. Great Brent night. Cold rainy night, also a nasty Looks Like Rain from Bob. Jerry contributes a nice West LA, China>Rider, Eyes. And a nice Box of Rain encore. Everyone involved. Plus, I believe there was stage jumper.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I can't wait to get my hands on this box set. It wasn't that long ago that DP 18 & 25 were the only two Estimated Prophets I had with that kick-ass Jerry solo that goes on for a minute and a half to 2 minutes, and the DP 25 version isn't that good. I didnt realize this was a 78 thing until after I bought May 1977, which to my dismay, had 5 EPs with no 2 minute solo. I picked up copies of the Egypt and From Egypt with Love bonus CDs and doubled my EP 78 collection, but neither of those blew my mind quite like DP 18. Two more versions came along with DaP 15 and 30 Trips, and now there are three more coming in this July box set. Can't wait to get my filthy Deadhead hands on it. Also looking forward to two more 78 Music Never Stopped. This one developed a bit in late 77 / early 78 as well, with a 2 minute mind bending jam around the 3:45 mark. I also never grow tired of new Scarlet / Fires, you just always get something nice there (DaP 7 let it burn, let it burn, let it burn), and the Egypt stand-alone Fire on the Mountain is one of my favs. Two more of these coming,look out! With any luck, something will click on the Eyes of the World fast version...I can't say it's the best new direction I've heard them take a song, but I understand! Cocaine is a powerful motivator.... DL's comments about the Werewolves at Red Rocks is encouraging; feels like they didn't quite get it right on DaP 7 or DP 25. Peggy-O on the Wolf - yes please. Cassidy - got a little better every year between 76 and 78, culminating in my favorite on DaP 7. The Wheel too, but alas, I'll need to throw DP 18 in there. Bertha / Good Lovin' also consistently better in 78, and I attribute this mostly to the Wolf. The 77 versions are a little too "sterile" if that's the right word, and Bertha always seemed to have an audio drop in the one slot, so hopefully the new one will rock ass like DP 18 and DaP 15. And also looking forward to two new Terrapins and Samsons, which will hopefully contain something remarkable, although with Samson, it might be tough to beat 77 (5/28/77 is a face melt with all the fixins - great God almighty talk Wooo). A couple new Wharf Rats too, and the Wolf was good for this song too.
user picture

Member for

8 years

I heard it as:Q: How many dead heads does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: None. They let it burn out, then follow it around the country for 30 years.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Not much can kill my buzz on this wonderful deadhead Sunday, especially after reading the write up on the Arrowhead stadium show that Claney posted the link to. It's got me more stoked than ever for this box.About the worst thing to happen to me today was the cork breaking in the wine bottle; I HATE when that happens. But it's all okay now. And is there anything that goes better with a nice Syrah than Warner Theater '78? Sounds so good...and every note is familiar. Truly an old friend from the cassette days. I know Jerry thought having two "old ladies" in the group was at least one too many, but man, I love Maria and Donna together.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....Worcester '83 30 Trip. Laser beams!! Don't miss it!....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

We have this... LoveJerry says: "It's a spiteful argument from ignorant parties..." ...and... "So shut the fuck up about a "decline" in his ability until you can provide some kind of evidence other than heresay. Closing of Winterland has as good a playing from Keith as anything since Mickey's return. Ignorant mule. You have made your case that you don't have a clue about 70s Dead. Stick to what you know asshole." ...then... Angry Jack Straw encourages such behavior and says: "LoveJerry. The more you post, the more I like you." Then we have that... claney says: "LoveJerry - I'm all for debates over things like whether Keith's playing declined. But I don't understand why you want to tell someone to "shut the f--k up" or to call someone an asshole. I just don't get it." ...and... muleskinner_blues says: "That aside, I welcome any posts from the 80s / 90s diehards, wish it didn't have to get down to personal insults, I love all the input besides that garbage. Please keep posting and hope everyone can stay respectful along the way." "Also, there are no ignorant mules, only ignorant questions. Wait.. My take: I like all era's, mainly the '80's. I'm truly sorry if others find it impossible to accept that and sorry for those who disrespectfully become hostile towards any criticism regarding the merits and amount of evidence suggested in the quality of Keith's post-retirement playing and Donna's pre-retirement singing, or the level of intellect for pointing that out.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

They all rock and held their own one thing is for sure, they are way cooling than me and I won't be critical of any of these guys anytime soon, not sure how these guys rubbed people the wrong way ? Someone get some bad acid from one of these guys lately? mentions of a Pigpen box ? Is that a box centered around Pigpen heavy shows or suggesting a stash of solo material ? Song I would like to see in a Pigpen box - "Smokestack Lightning"
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Keithfan - I found myself eye-guzzling the setlist myself, anticipating the Betty-bomb to come. The setlists could be from any '77 show, but you know the execution is a little heavier and fuzzier - a little more dangerous. I too hope the Eyes isn't too fast - that is my biggest hang-up with the '78 - fast Eyes - Ugh. But every year has different strengths - ya gotta know what to listen for - listening to '78 this weekend, I found the Estimated Prophets and Other One's from '78 are monsters. And Wharf Rat also in '78 seemed to hit its full potential. What do you feel are the songs that really peaked in '78? I think the addition of the Wolf guitar contributed a lot in the difference between 77/78 sound. Jerry couldn't find a off-the-rack guitar he liked, so you know he was digging the new custom-made "Wolf" axe in '78 with fat humbuckers - really contributed to that '78 sound. I love '77, but when the band is "ON" in '78 (which is truly sporadic) they really freakin' deliver. I'm glad to hear they had a good run of 5 solid shows (though even Dave seems to hint that set 1 from show 2 or 3 is kinda iffy...). Bring the Betty-box!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

I'd love to see an April 71 box set...not the well documented Fillmore stuff, but maybe something like 4/5,4/6, 4/7, 4/8...and 4/17 just so we can really capture Pigpen at his best!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

I'd love to see an April 71 box set...not the well documented Fillmore stuff, but maybe something like 4/5,4/6, 4/7, 4/8...and 4/17 just so we can really capture Pigpen at his best!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

not sure why my last post appears 3 times (must be the ghost of pigpen).... in addition to April 71, i'd also love to see: Ark 1969 Fox Theater (72) Fall 73 (10/21-10/30) the full 74 retirement run (just take my money already) Stanley Theater/Uptown Theater (11/30-12/5 1979) 3/9-3/10 81 Full Alpine run in 89 I doubt we'd ever see a full warfield/Radio city release, but would love to see maybe 1-2 of each in a box set (maybe 10/4, 10/14, 10/31, etc) And as many have mentioned, best of frost and/or greek would be killer A man can dream (clearly i am this morning)
user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

If you are pining for a '69 show, a '72 show, and two runs from the '70s along with a few '80s shows, maybe you should change your name to "fan." :-)
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

....I have a parrot who is pining for the fjords. What else can you think when you hear pining.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 3 months

Did everyone get charged at time of order on this box? I did, but I spoke to someone else who did not. I called customer service and was told I would be charged when it shipped. I told her it was on my statement (not an authorization, an actual charge) and she said that should not happen. Just pokin' around to see who else got charged up front.
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Lots of great bands, we should just be mindful when we say "great" bands, we mostly mean favorite to me. I saw some said "old guard" and Allman in same breath. Old is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder. Lets not forget real "old", like Louis Armstrong's Hot 5 & 7's. Or, Red Nichols and his 5 pennies. I think Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman should be there also. For real old, how about some Sousa Band music (still with us today). More recent, Bob Willis and his Texas Playboys. In the same vein Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks. The great bands Sinatra stood in front of (nelson riddle). We are living in a time when there is so much great music available to us, maybe more than any other. Stuff that in large part has just been gone and now is back. Ever search the archive for old "78" stuff and the orchestra/bands you will find. But still, the dead were the greatest! :-)
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In between the release of more Betty boards and the MG missing tape stash, let's indeed have a few lovingly curated April '71 shows! (Then fall '72 and summer '73.) I kinda suspect that Dave's pick for the 30 Trips 1971 show (March 18) was made with this thought in mind. Keeping his options open. Anyone hear even a whisper about progress on the GD documentary that's in the works? We knew they were going to blow through 2015, but I always hoped it'd be ready for July 2016 MUATM.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

On the topic of Keith: I'm a big fan of the era spanning Keith joining and Mickey returning. These are the golden years as far as I'm concerned. The Dead didn't need two trap drummers. Maybe, just maybe, if Mickey had focused more on ancillary percussion for more texture (hey Dark Star from Live Dead, I'm looking at you), that would have been made a difference, but two drummers on straightahead rock or cowboy songs? No thanks. Two drummers in the wonderful improvisatory, exploratory ensemble that the Dead became in '71 with the addition of Keith? Not necessary. That band was a delicious balance of 5 strong players who also listened to each other: Jerry, Bobby, Phil, Billy and Keith. I think of those moments where they're wailing away out there somewhere, balanced on a thread, waiting for a push or pull to take them in another direction, and Keith was as capable of doing that as anyone else in the band. He could hang, musically, in a way that TC couldn't, and that Brent probably never really had the chance to demonstrate, because (as noted astutely earlier), the Dead just stopped playing that way. It's interesting that Billy notes how good he thought that Keith was, as there are a number of very fine Billy / Keith duets in the jams (before Drums/Space became cemented, or maybe calcified into the Dead's routine). Billy got it (yah, I'm a big fan of Billy, too). Obligatory disclaimer: I'm not dissing the band post-retirement (my first show was in '77) or Mickey or Brent or TC or anything else. I saw a bunch of shows with those folks, and enjoyed them all. It's just that the era when Keith was in the band and Mickey wasn't hits a sweet spot with me, just as Coltrane's bands with McCoy Tyner is the sweet spot for his music as far as I'm concerned.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Oh, on the topic of great bands -- yes, I'll echo Talking Heads and REM, both of whom I saw in the Cumberland County Civic center in the 80's (twice for REM - great shows). The Doors -- kinda meh. I had the LA Woman LP in high school (won it at a school dance, yay me!) and liked Light My Fire, but once I hit on the Allmans, and then the Dead, I never really looked back. I also had Iron Butterfly and Grand Funk Railroad LPs, ditto. If you want to go in the direction of jazz, you'd better look at Miles Davis' electric ensembles of the 60's -- think Bitches Brew. For the folks hung up on the 'America' thing: if you wanna go there, remember that the US and Canada are in North America, but there's also Central and South America to add in as part of the Americas. But colloquially, we Americans use 'America' as shorthand for "The United States of America", and nobody's really confused about that usage.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

We are thinking the same in terms of Box thoughts. I was kind of thinking of a different base reason for it, however. I'd like for them to think about completing shows/runs that have been released partially. 1) The Alpine '89 run (Downhill, GD Meetup at movies) 2) The '74 Retirement Run (Steal Face, GD Movie + Soundtrack) 3) April '71 (Ladies & Gentlemen, the Grateful Dead) 4) February '70 (Bear's Choice, DP 4). (2/13-14 and 2/11). 5) At least 1 full show from the acoustic NYC/Winterland run (Dead Ahead). I know there is sometimes good reason the whole show wasn't released, but let's go back and fix that. If there isn't enough for a whole release for one show(s), then throw several songs on as filler on some of the releases. It always bugged me that 12/29/77 (DP10) and 5/22/77 (DP3) weren't full shows. The missing songs could fill one disc at least (PeggyO, Minglewood, FOTD, B.E. Women, Good Lovin, Sugar Mag. IMHBTR, Sunrise, Johnny B. Goode).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

This may not be the best place to ask this question, but does anyone out there know anything about the original Rhino version of Dick's Picks vol. 29 containing "hidden tracks". This assumes that the Real Gone edition does not have these bonus tracks. I would appreciate any information on this rumor.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Lots of great bands mentioned. I would have to go with the Band and Dylan. Its American enough for me, remember.. they morphed from the Hawks.. Ronnie Hawkings and Levon Helm are both from Arkansas and the songwriting rings true from deep Americana. Also.. they got their name from being Dylan's band (which they were). Lots of love for Los Lobos too. A different twist on the melting pot that is Americana. You cant ignore the delta region too. I highly recommend Dennis McNally's book On Highway 61: Music, Race and the Evolution of Cultural Freedom. If that doesn't get at the core of what is American Music.. I don't know what does, and it ends with Dylan and by extension the Band.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

I heard the latest Dave's for the first time this past weekend. Really do love it, despite my shock (and no awe) at the big fluffs/miscues here and there, e.g. climax of He's Gone... garage band stuff! How fabulous to NAIL U.S. Blues in the middle of the second set, in the middle of the Summer of '74, as the essay notes. Them old U.S. Blues -- Trump won't win in a landslide per Nixon's second victory, however the U.S. is staying very '72 it seems, or perhaps worse. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

@ Raindead: See my post about 130 posts prior to yours. I got charged already and took up the matter with customer service. Their reply is in my earlier post. @droidmec: The original Dick's Picks 29 had 5 hidden tr. all from Lloyd Noble Center, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK - 10/11/77. Whether they are also on the Real Gone reissue I know not.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

that the Real Gone reissue does indeed include the hidden tracks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I heard once that Italians refer to Canada as "Upp-a U.S."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

5/19 - NOT FADE AWAY WHARF RAT AROUND AND AROUND 5/21 - DANCIN' IN THE STREETS DIRE WOLF Estimated > Eyes and the hidden tracks make up the 2nd set if anyone cares.
user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

10/11/77 (Sorry, took too long to post)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I am intrigued by 71 w/Keith vs Mickey's return. I never really noticed any marginalization of Keith with the return to two drummers but I will now compare and contrast Keith 71 vs 76-78 and The Two Drummers. I had always loved the two drum.space extravaganza. Yet I am very, very keen to pay more attention to the 'lost improvisation' of one drum and Keith. Of course I have heard shows from then but just did not pick on what was lost. The 'polish' so often mentioned of 77 still had me thinking 'wow what improvisation!' And maybe they were just phoning it in, or beginning to( calcify). To the more educated ears here, to the more tuned into this dynamic, could you recommend some 71 song sequences which demonstrate Keith's improvisatory element to compare to similar song-sequences where it is lost? Thanks. I learn a lot here. Conspicuous in its absence?!
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Stan Kenton was a band leader from the 1940s up to his passing in 1979. Famous musicians came up through his band (Maynard Ferguson, Peter Erskine, Dick Shearer). Kenton and his band had a rabid following like the Dead in the 1950's. Devoted fans were referred to Kentonites, according to my father-in-law, who was a huge Kentonite. After my father-in-law passed, I borrowed his 80 cd binder of kenton material. Pretty progressive stuff - lot of latin beats with horns. Good stuff.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I really like all the music being mentioned. As Jim said Americana is the perfect description for The Band. I got to see Levon up at his barn in Woodstock awhile back and I'll never forget it. For anyone who's curious about Little Feat here's a link one of my favorites of theirs. It's tasty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qnn_B0xILU&list=RD1Qnn_B0xILU
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I've also been charged the full amount, appearing on my statement two days after ordering. (I've always been charged up front on past orders so thought nothing of it).
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Had to second the emotion about the Estimated Prophets coming in this new collection as I am definitely an EP junkie. I concur with the sentiment Keithfan expressed (he and I seem to always be on the same page), that the 78 Estimated outro jams were where Jerry really took off. If memory serves (I don't have the tape anymore) a fine specimen to be had is the 4-8-78 show from Jacksonville. It gets downright SPOOKY! But don't minimize the 77 Estimateds either. Just spun DP3 from 5/22 and it's a doozy as well as DP 34, 11/2 & 11/5. Both of those have Jerry tripping the light fantastic, especially 11/2, coming out of a smokin' Might As Well going into a groovy St. Stephen. And I'd be remiss not to mention the filler on DP10 from 12-30. We all know how the badassidity from that one just drips as Jerry relentlessly burns! As for the 1-2 drummer discussion, I can dig the two drummer attack, which is all I ever saw, but I have to admit, as someone else pointed out, two drummers for the cowboy tunes often ended up sounding like a pair of sneakers tumbling in the dryer. I definately prefer the 5 piece 71-74 jazz extravaganzas. Only one drummer could successfully pull that shit off properly. Kreutzmann was a beast back in the day! BOBALOOOOOOOO where are ya Brother! Peace to all.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I would have to assume it is the same as the physical CDs. That is why there are no bonus offers anymore, the CDs are the bonus because once they sell out it's digital only.the first 15,000 get CDs, the rest get files only. I don't remember what the 1977 box cost, but are the HD flac download copies any cheaper than the CDs were? We'll find out in May when they go onsale.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Speaking of the missing, where the H is wjond?? He promised a hi-res digital listening test.
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Keithfan hit a chord (so to speak) with me. I began keying in on those extended "Estimated" jams late last year and made notes when I came across one. I don't think anyone's mentioned DP5, and Download Series 5, 7, and 9. There also are the 1989, 1991, and 1993 shows from "30 Trips", although my impression when I listened was that Bob finally cut Jerry off during the '93 show.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html