• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Yes, I would really love to get this box, and I will, if only the set does not sell out before I can cobble together $160.00.
If it's meant to be, I'll be able to buy it.
Karma. Either way, I'm good with it.
Have a freakin' great weekend Dead Heads of the world (or at least this thread!!).

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

9/20/70

yes

sooooooo unfortunate that there is the skeeviness on Caution. can the miracle of digitalism save the day?

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

What was it with the Dead in the month of June in the 70's? So many GRATE shows during this month for many years. Start of some summer lovin' maybe? I'm all in on this box. Can't wait, love me some '76!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

2 14 70 Early Show: Cold Rain, Dark Star....St. Stephen...Eleven...Lovelight

Beautiful

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

I’m really on the fence about this box set... but, the deciding factor for me is TERRAPIN... because of it, there’s just a whole new and different dimension to ‘77 compared to ‘76... I think the ‘77 boxes and individual releases just offer all of this and a whole lot more...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I know exactly how you feel. For me, '76 felt like '77 without a whole lot of great songs that had yet to make it into their '77/'78 set lists. Used to feel the same way, and then stuff bgg ģTake a listen to DaP 18 Playing in the Band at the Orpheum. The things you get in '76 that began evaporating in '77:

Here's why I'm getting it:

* Improv like you have on the DaP Playing in the Band on DaP 18.
* Piano galore. Really the last year they let Keith stick to his instrument of choice, and it is oh so fine.
* There are 3 of the aforementioned Playing in the Bands on this box set, 2 of which are 19 minutes.
* The Wheel x2
* Sure I'll take another Mission in the Rain.
* 3 Help => Trip! => Franklins just on this 1976 Box Set. Only played 7x at all in 1977, and never in 1978. Considering this is as good as Scarlet => Fire and Estimated => Eyes (all of which were played 20+ times in '77), I am stoked. And one of the Slipknots! is 13 minutes - I'm very interested in hearing what this one's all about.
* Scarlet Begonias was a different beast in 1976. They rocked the hell out of the 2nd half of this song in '76, encore style. I'm not saying it was better than 1977 per se, but it was its own thing to behold.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Zipped you a pm.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Good summary of '76 vs '77. The Dick's Picks, Dave Picks, box sets and other releases are all data points on the Grateful Dead continuum, giving us a volume of material unrivaled by any other band that I can think of, and allowing us the opportunity to hear the evolution of their sound over the years. Some of the songs in this box seem relatively rare, aside from the obvious Mission in the Rain, I don't think there are a lot of '70's versions of Crazy Fingers on official releases, same with High Time and I dig both those songs. There were a couple of Crazy Fingers in the Spring '90 TOO box, but it will be nice to have another one from the '70s.

Gave DaP29 2/26/77 another spin today, and redundant or not, it sure hit the spot. Really dug the Help-Slip-Franklins, which made me anticipate this '76 box even more just for the different versions. Spinning Zenyatta Mondatta by the Police now, sometimes I can't get enough of When the World Is Running Down You Make the Best of What's Still Around, cool lyrics. Turned on my VCR, same one I've had for years...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

so did 6/12/76 Boston already get released or just didn't make the cut?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Part of 6/12/76 shows up as bonus material on disc 3 of Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 5 6/9/76 - Mission In the Rain, The Wheel, Comes A Time, Sugar Magnolia-US Blues-Sunshine Daydream. I don't have the bonus disc, if there was one, so I don't know if there is more of 6/12 if there was a bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

right thanks charlie. i know some of this material came out in one of the 30 days of dead. i myself am getting the box thanks to family as i am currently an impoverished student in a class paying for part of it myself. i dont really listen to '76 much myself so i can understand some of the grumbling and passing on it. but i figure it's better to get it now, and not play it much than not get it and be like oh man, i wish i had that why did i pass on that (like several dave's picks i did pass on) i know people will laugh at me but i myself am hoping for a fall '93 box set. i loved the the spectrum, Madison Square Garden & Boston Garden runs. In time i think there will be

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...if I play I'm Not In Love by 10cc any louder I can float on the sound.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....one the first records i bought with my own money. Why? Because I liked the title. Great record. Canary In A Coalmine never gets old.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

for sure my favorite Police album. Always fun to revisit that one.

Driven To Tears...
While we still mourn Neil Peart it is noteworthy that Stewart Copeland is an incredible drummer as well. Love that he hooked up with Claypool...
Shadows In The Rain is great too...

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Grateful Dead tribute supergroup Voodoo Dead played the second show of a three-night run through Japan on Tuesday, February 12 at the Bay Hall in Yokohama. The band — consisting of guitarist Steve Kimock, keyboardist Jeff Chimenti, drummer John Kimock and legendary New Orleans funk bassist George Porter Jr. — welcomed Japanese trumpet player Issei Igarashi for large portions of the first and second sets.

Hearing Kimock playing some Dead again really makes me wish that he, Phil, and Jill were on better terms and Kimock had been selected for the Fare Thee Well shows. He is just a near perfect fit into the puzzle. Band really missed an opportunity on when they chose Trey over Steve, and something tells me that was all Phil putting his foot down.

But...this Voodoo Dead thing has got some wings for sure.

Also gotta hand it to the Japanese taper, they got a nice sound throughout the show. Here's the archive link...

https://archive.org/details/voodoodead2020-02-11.akgc568eb.flac

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi, first-time poster here. But just want to report that I was at one of the Boston shows. Honestly don't remember which one any more -- how long ago was that? But we actually got tickets through the Dead's nascent mail-in system -- one pair was fourth-row center. Wow.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

I know the feeling! I'm not going for this one, but so many other of the box set gems have done it for me, especially when I found the out of print ones at a good price in the online markets.

Have been feeling fat and sassy with my collection that I've built up methodically over the past 5 years after taking time off from the new releases for quite awhile there before that.

Decided recently that unless a particular offering really intrigues me, I'm limiting myself to '68-'71 box sets (have enough out of '72 already), plus hanging with the Dave's Picks subscriptions. That means that if the 50 year anniversary boxes come out over the next few years, I'll be jumping on them. Kinda disappointed that the 1969 Ark box didn't happen last year, but it's never too late!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Maybe we can get a '71 box for the 50th ann. of Skull and Roses.

April '71 Complete Recordings Box 20 shows on 46 discs.

Dave could you please look into this thanks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

..2/14/68 is a hot show. Amazing level of progression from being, basically, a covers band 12 months earlier to pushing the envelope in a way it has never been pushed before. Or since.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by kyleharmon

This box has 5 glorious trips around the sun

There is outstanding material here

I think this stuff doesnt resonate with some because Phil is relatively low on the recordings. Kinda like 82.

You could do a lot worse things with 150 dollars than buy this

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Grateful Dead
Avalon Ballroom
San Francisco, CA
04/05/1969

Set I

01 Dupree's Diamond Blues
02 Mountains Of The Moon >
03 Dark Star >
04 St. Stephen > *
05 Turn On Your Love Light

Set II

01 Hard To Handle >
02 Cosmic Charlie
03 tuning
04 China Cat Sunflower >
05 Doin' That Rag
06 Cryptical Envelopment >
07 The Other One >
08 Cryptical Envelopment >
09 The Eleven >
10 It's A Sin
11 Alligator >
12 Drums >
13 Feedback >
14 And We Bid You Good Night

and it was around this time that i started to realize Bobby ain't no slide player

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Bernie Sanders says he will legalize marijuana by executive order in every state in the union. Also to expunge the records of all drug offenders. About time hey? Do I see an end to the stupid drug war? All candidates should join in this decision. We can only hope and of course, vote.

Carlo, back at you.

Wristshot. Thanks for the post. That is really cool, you were there. Would love to hear more about the show. Mail order, those were the days. I used the mail order in the eighties. Loved it. Prices were never crazy.
I checked on prices last night for Dead and Co for Wrigley and stop looking when the prices got to $300. Not sure if the Dead are getting this money or if it is already resale. Anyway, too much for me to think about, no Phil and no Jerry. I will leave out my comments on John Mayer.
One thing we can say, Bob Weir has spent his life touring in all sorts of bands since Jerry died. It would be cool to see him one more time.
Of course if I win the lottery, I going for those VIP packages. And you are all invited.

If you don't have the Download Series#4, check it out. It is from the Capitol Theatre in June. I believe it was the middle night. The show is awesome and the sound quality, without Plangent, from 15 years ago is A+. Can't wait for this box.

Peace folks!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Currently listening to the 6/9 Road Trips, in the middle of Crazy Fingers, and I personally LOVE the laid-back sound of 76 - I've always thought of it as the sound of GooBalls (remember those?) Up next, I think I'll go with that Download series release mentioned earlier - June of 76 is a sweet spot for this head (admittedly one of many.)

Cheers to all of you excited about this release as well, and I hope those of you who are not so psyched get whatever you're jonesin' for soon! Chances are I'll order that one too, as it will undoubtedly be from another sweet spot!

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I love June 76 . . . that relaxed, easy, loping vibe fits perfectly with the time of year. It just sounds like summer.
Already have a nice board of 6/19 but I haven't listened to any of these others.

Weren't we just talking about needing some new merch on the Dave's 33 thread ? Yes, I did need a new set of coasters, how did you know that dead.net?

In conclusion, take my money.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

After a lovely Valentine's Day dinner with the Mrs., drinks at a 15th floor cocktail bar afterwards with friends, and a safe RideShare home, I did make it a point to blast all of Dick's Picks 4 in honor of the holiday.

Yeah, I like the sheer power and raw edge of the earlier stuff too - another sweet spot :)

The Grateful Goddamn Dead!

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Greetings Heads! Every time I tell myself I have enough of the Dead, something likes this comes along and I cannot help myself. Pulled the trigger after just a few minutes of thinking about it. I do know for sure, if I don't get it I will regret it. I have a boot of one of the Boston shows from years ago and I always figured there was a good chance a better version would get released. Plus how can you pass up ANY Betty boards?

I caught the Eagles last nite at MSG and all I can say is OMG! If any band harmonizes better then these guys I have not yet heard them. Vocally Vince Gill and Deacon Frey covered Glen perfectly. And you want guitars? Joe Walsh brings it in spades. Go see them if you have a chance. 3 hours of musical bliss!

Rock on

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

6-9 RTv4n5
6-12% RTv4n5 filler
6-17 DaP28
6-18 Download Series 4 (includes filler from 21,22,28)

Really need 6-29 at some point to round things off.

June 76 is awesome. It may not be a supermodel to some people, but it has its own uniqueness and beauty. Blues For Allah is my favorite studio album (Anthem is a studio/live hybrid and is the best ‘studio’ album the band released). I could be biased as those are the first GD CD’s I bought in the late 80’s when CD’s cost $20 or more and really cut into my beer, cigarettes, and greenery fund. Thus, I didn’t buy a lot of CD’s back then.

Anyway, there are a lot of good new songs in June 76, and the return of some oldies. All the shows in this Box are burned into my synapses because I got them on decent sounding cassettes in the 90’s and played them extensively (along with 6-29 and 10-9 set 2). When 9-25,28-76 DP20 came out I was underwhelmed, probably because of the expectations I had due to June and 10-9. I was quite excited though when 10-9,10-76 DP33 was announced. DaP4 9-24-76 and DaP18 7-17-76 didn’t seem to do too much for me either. Probably because June is the supermodel of 76 to me. I will revisit all of the previous releases prior to arrival of this Box.

But, I expect this Box, in all of its Plangentized and Normanized glory, to be a Shining Star in my collection.
I love the slow 6-14 Cosmic Charlie, can’t wait to hear that show, one of my all-time favorites.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

With releasing all these wonderful Betty boards, why has she never been asked to write any linear notes? I would love reading what she recalls as being part of that infamous road crew and how she made her boards so unique. I guess this could be Dead Net's #metoo moment as I don't think a woman has EVER contributed linear notes to one of these big projects.

One of my favorite show reviews from Dead Base was from Zea Sonnabend and her 9/26/91 review. She also does an excellent job with the Paris shows from 1990. Come on Dave let's get some new women voices on these releases.

Another bone to pick is the price of the high resolutions version. I am very happy that this one will be 192/24, I bought both the CD and high resolution versions of the Giant's stadium boxed set as I can preserve the CD set for posterity, plus I wanted the Blu-Ray too.

That being said is the price of the production costs of issuing the high resolution vs. the cd set. Is it really only $30 less? I am sure a bit file is much cheaper to produce than a CD boxed set. Plus you don't get the linear notes at all. I think they should start offering the linear notes to us high rez customers as well. It is only fair.

As for the release I thoroughly enjoy this period, as it is quite unique in the Dead's history. Many different arrangements and the set lists are much funner and less predictable than the next two years plus so many cool jams. As many have stated the vocals are really special with Bob, Jerry, and Donna really hit a peak during this year, I am listening to Road Trip 6/9/76 as I type this and it is sweet. Mind you I myself would have preferred the entire Opheum run from July, the second set from 7/18/76 says it all, over these shows....but hey we get the cards we are dealt with.

On a completely different but related note I just got the NRPS Bear's Sonic Journals boxed set, I have only listened to the first two disc but it is really quite unique and is it raw as it offers clear glimpse into a part of Jerry's work that has not ever seen the light of day in a official release, plus for only $40 bucks for 5 CDs it is a wonderful bargain.

Happy Trails!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

@Deadvikes Those are all MP3's especially through Amazon. They should update them all to 96/24 then I would be interested.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

VGuy, you may be right. November's in the 70's are quite stellar.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by amdew122

Check out Nugs.net.

They have them in ALAC and FLAC for $24. A steal. I bought ALAC. Agree, I am not big on Mp3.

Nappy....I share your views on Bob's slide playing...but is it Bob playing slide at this show or Jerry? I think Jerry played slide on Hard to Handle and Lovelight occasionally during this period. Not his finest hour, it has to be said - but it was worth a punt.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I was just emailing one of the regular posters here my experience ordering this box set. I was out of town on business last week with no extra time to look at dead.net. I was in the most unDead looking city one can imagine, and I flew home yesterday. When I was putting on my good 'ol Grateful Dead t-shirt for the plane ride, I wondered how many odd looks I would get from the locals.

Don't you know DeadHead sits right next to me, sees my shirt and immediately strikes up a conversation. Forgot to help his wife put the suitcase in the overhead compartment and everything. So we're there on the tarmac and after some Dave's Picks discussion, he asked me if I was going to buy the new box set. I was sure he must have been talking about Giants stadium. It seems like that one just came out right. I didn't think we'd have a 2020 box set this soon, so I was relatively certain this guy was just a little behind on his info. He doesn't post on this site and he couldn't name a year for the box set; he had heard about something through the Widespread Panic message board.

So I took my phone off of airplane mode and ever so slowly loaded up the dead net homepage. Sure Nuff the 1976 box set is on the front cover with a post that said twelve thousand copies. I had been away from the dead net homepage for probably a week or so. In my mind it was a life-or-death situation because I had no idea when it might sell out.

Then we started taxi-ing down to the runway, so is in a race to beat the Wi-Fi disconnect clock. And of course all the pages were loading slowly, probably because I was out in the middle of an Airfield. I got the payment screen and of course the numbers are all worn down on my credit card and it's dark and cramped on the plane. Give the dude my card and asked him to read off the number. Plane lifted off while the order was processing... After a very long 30 seconds it went through successfully. No....I took the card back before it was time to put in the three digit security code on the back. Besides, I figured if they can afford to raise four kids AND go to Palm Springs for a "long weekend" I was in good shape. He even had the presence of mind to read the number off quietly.

Well well well, we have a metric fuck-ton of good music coming our way. I'm enjoying yeah October 29th Dave's Picks more and more each time I listen to it. I can't wait for the 6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fonton show + Bonus Disc. And now to hear that this 1976 box set is just a month away... Is that even right? Did I even read that right correctly, March 20th release date? I thought there was usually a typical 3 month delay between the ordering and shipping of these box sets. No complaints here.

I was pondering why they don't interview Betty Cantor Jackson about any of these releases that she recorded. The only thing I can come up with is that they're still a little sore about the thousands of dollars they lost when that storage unit she kept the tapes in went unpaid and up for auction. I don't know... Maybe it wasn't her personal responsibility to make sure it was getting paid, just a guess.

P.S. - good call on the 6/11/76 show Sixtus. You gave us a heads up on that show over a year ago. And username "Cousins..." was passing on the good word about the 1977 show from October 29th years ago. The closest I've come to calling a show is the Jai-Alai Fonton show, but that doesn't really count because I call that one and Chicago '74 every time there's a new Dave's Picks, just on the grounds that it's time to release the last two Dark Stars from that year. I guess I only consider the So Many Roads version of Dark Star from 6/23/74 "semi-officially-released", because there's only about three-quarters of it there.

Love the idea of a 1971 box set. Maybe they did this 76 one so early in the year so that they can have a second box set out before Christmas. 1971 Portchester anyone? Multitrack multitrack. Fillmore East in April? Multitrack multitrack. Pay all the guests their royalties and put it out there. Ladies and Gentlemen is a sick release -- can imagine getting the whole Casino?

Based on KeithFan's rationale, ordered this box set! Thanks for the insights!

Another part of the reason came from "The Big Interview" that Dan Rather did with Bob Weir. He asked what song would you want played at your funeral. He thought for a awhile then quoted the first several lines of "Cassidy". That pricked up my ears and after reading those lyrics have since been a huge fan of that song. Seeing as we have several versions of Cassidy in this box, that sort of was another bullet point tacked onto KeithFan's thoughts on this box.

If you haven't seen any of these interviews, gotta endorse this show. Dan Rather is a great interviewer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

https://youtu.be/oH47JZmr2HU
....guitar teacher reacting on songs. Seems like a cool dude. And I actually learned a thing or three! He does Zappa and Phish too.
"Sounds killer" and "so cool" are some of his frequent statements. Couldn't agree more!!
The faces he makes when he hears a legit moment of ripping reminds me of the faces im sure i make. Stealing faces. Lol. Some of the YouTube comments are GOLD.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

I think you be right...I thought of that as i hit the save button and I was too lazy to edit and redo the statement...what might of put me in that frame of mind was as the first notes hit I thought of all the butchered little red roosters...

The "Guitar Teacher reacts" video you posted is one of the best things I have seen in a long time. So cool to watch someone in the process of "getting it."

Thanks for the light, brother!

Now, time to dust off "Trucking Up to Buffalo"!

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

....Oysterhead is playing West. I jumped the gun. That's what happens when one assumes. My bad.
Deadheads reacting to others new to the fold reacting to them. It becomes a vicious cycle.
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-942682835/sets/oysterhead-live-at-1stbank…
....i love it.
Their tour is all over the place. Dates and cities. Random collective.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....speaks volumes.
Witnessed Claypool and LaLonde shredding the "encore" with Phish at the Aladdin Theatre in Vegas on 12.6.96. Forever burned in my membrane. Fun fact. Larry LaLonde started off in a death metal band I liked a lot called Possessed back in the day. I have them on vinyl....
Metric Fuck-Ton. Band name. Called it!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html