• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The band was high and ON! So loud I had to duck down a few times when the amps were clipping. The swagger of Jerry tearing it up. Phil's bass bombs physically shaking the rocks and we thought they were causing a rock slide but it was just people climbing up scattering gravel! (also not allowed anymore) The other-worldly Other One still gives me goosebumps every time. Bill Walton backstage on crutches. (or was that the August reprise shows) Donna being served a whiff on a platter discretely backstage hiding under a kerchief. (like we couldn't tell what was going on) Ah, those were the days! Thanks to this thread for suggesting the '73 scary Other One. Going there now.

Thanks DaveRock, Alvarhanso, Estimated-Eyes and HendrixFreak for the thoughts and shared memories. E-E, I definitely appreciate the roadmap to appreciating 7/8. Will be playing tonight and following your signposts.

Also agree that Arrowhead is a fun one. Dig having the frontloaded cowboy songs, only to go psych full on in the second half. Little something for the Willie fans, little something for the heads, and plenty for those with wide-ranging appetites.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I think these shows are my favorites from the entire year! Each one is hot, and the Arrowhead and two Red Rocks turn up the heat even higher!

Perhaps a listen is in order this evening... hmmm... Omaha or St. Paul? Who am I kidding - both!

@ Jim - when I was scrolling through the posts of scary shows, just knew that RavenSpace was bound to come up. Def. a freaky second set, but oh my, what a show :) Here's a good AUD copy, but it is missing the Brokedown encore :( https://archive.org/details/gd82-04-19.aud-martin.warner.19420.sbeok.sh…

Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Certain songs just seem to stand out above the rest in some of these boxes. For the July '78 box it was Estimated Prophet that just seemed consistently amazing, a high water mark for that song in my book. For the first May '77 box it was the Scarlet-Fire sequences that seemed a cut above, particularly the start of Fire. For the PNW '73 &'74 box it was the performances of Eyes of the World that just seemed perfect as I prefer those slower, jazzier Eyes which seemed at a peak in '73-'74. It's not that there aren't other versions of these songs that I enjoy just as much from other releases, just that there often seems to be a particular song that stands out in some of these box sets. Curious if others have a similar experience with a particular song just standing out as being at a peak in a particular box.

I would say the Greatest Story Ever Told stands out for me repeatedly on the PNW set. Also, I was just reading the Winterland 73 notes, and McNally posits there that Big River stands out for him in the same way you mention.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

CampaignShoutin, I suspected that others might have different songs that stand out for them in a particular box, I'll have to pay attention to GSET when I listen to the PNW box again. For me I think the GSET from 3FTV 2/19/71 is my all time favorite, just something about the way it lopes along does it for me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Agree on Estimated on the 78 Box. Not only are they all well played, but they seemed to use it quite affectively as a launching vehicle into never, ever land.

For the PNW, I wouldn't call them standout versions, i.e. best ever.. but the 74 China Riders are spectacular. Agree with all the comments on July 78..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 4 months

So I've noticed in the past with box sets that a lot more info was given as to the contents other than set lists and dates. Anyone know more about what magic this Pandora's box may hold?
On a bus riding tip I've been reading these threads for a long time. Just started posting but have to say to all that most of us were truly lucky to see some of these shows. I got on the bus in high-school as I saw the Dead and the rich bluegrass and funk/GoGo scenes as the same as the DIY punk scene in D.C. where I grew up. My first show was Merriwether '85 (last shows with Jerry '93 Capital Centre; kinda full circle as my life lead me all over and to many other shows). Been rolling ever since. It's been great to get these Betty shows I've been told I was at and had a great time. Damn I'd give anything to be at a 3hr+ sultry intimate summer show dancing on the lawn with beautiful mamas and lightin bugs!

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

You nailed it. It is a job problem.

Yesterday, no work, listened to all 3 of the NO 1970 Busted on Bourbon St shows. At that clip I could finish all the shows in like 3 years.

Today, work, (not just work, but in a training all day where we got to break up into little groups and do fun activities! and it lasts two more days! KILL ME NOW)
0 shows listened to.

I think those numbers speak for themselves.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

So my wife and I flew down to New Orleans last Wednesday to visit our daughter at Tulane and catch some Mardi Gras parades over the weekend. We were walking around a bunch in Uptown and I am really not on my phone that much. We stopped into a store on Magazine street and I checked my email as my wife shopped and there it was!!! So unexpected.. I quickly ordered the 76 Box, careful not to mess up like a did back in October 2018 with the Dave's subscription and order two... 6/14/76 Beacon to me is so perfectly clearly recorded!!! I am a big fan of June 76!!! Got back last night around midnight and have been reading all the comments.... sort of like catching up with old friends and it was only a week... bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I dont always love Lovelight, but day-um the one from 2-1-70 to close out that run is a banger. Its 39 minutes. Its like they played the one from Live Dead, and then played it again, and then played a normal one, and then Pig was like "alright now I'm good". Its nine minutes longer than even the Dicks 4 version which I always regarded as peak Lovelight.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I just received an e-mail announcing Primus : A Tribute To Kings-performing the Rush classic "Farewell To Kings" in it's entirety.
Sounds interesting. I've always enjoyed the Claypool musical perspective. Might have to see this one...

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Saw Dirty Honey last night at the Bluebird in Denver. They're pretty good, and they have an amazing singer, the real deal not like that whiny punk from GVF... but, I digress.

Sunset Strip hard rock without the glam and makeup. They're a little short on original material, still, what with a drum solo and a guitar solo coming mid-set, as well as a classic Aerosmith cover "Last Child."

But there's a lot of industry buzz about them. If you're into that kind of thing, go check out their current club tour before they explode.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Drove seattle to salem oregon

5 12 74 discs 1 n 2 yowzah
10 23 80 all three discs yahoo
7 25 72 discs three and four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return tomorrow
5 12 74 disc 3
10 30 73 disc 3
11 17 72 disc three
11 19 72 disc three

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Grateful Dead - 5/11/77 St. Paul. That Lazy Lightning - Supplication and the Scarlet-Fire were highlights, but as with most of those May '77 shows, there really isn't any weak song performance in the whole show.
Jerry Garcia - Garcia. Classic. Been a while since I listened to that one.
Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobin - Self Titled. Dig that Baubles, Bangles and Beads, but the whole bossa nova vibe of the album makes it seem almost like a drunken Mrs. Wormer should be rolling through the door any minute, ready to party.
Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter & Tompall Glaser - Wanted! The Outlaws 20th Anniversary. The Jessi Colter stuff on that album is fantastic.
Chris Joss - Sticks. Some pretty cool instrumental stuff.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I was going to pass on this box set on account of it seeming like a watered down version of 1977, but then I listened to road trips from Boston June 9th 1976, and I thought it was really really different sounding from 77. Count me in.

76 is a fantastic year for the boys and of course overlooked due to 1977.
The 6/9/76 show is one of my favorites and the second night of the Capitol Theatre is excellent, so I am excited to hear these five shows. For me, what makes this so fun is that every year was different, different sets lists, different versions of songs, the recordings, sound quality, etc.
We are a lucky bunch!

Pulled out July 12, 1989, from the RFK box the other day. Really good stuff, love all these shows from summer 1989. Hopefully Alpine someday. If you are into the Giants Box set, you would love the two shows from the RFK box and it is still for sale here.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by MendoFog

MendoFog, appreciate your ref to the harDCorer scene. Came up in the DC scene of the late 80s, early 90s. I've always been fascinated by the parallels between the Dead and Fugazi. Which, if you know both, seem pretty unexpected. They're both completely of their own scenes; allowed taping before others got onboard with that idea; no setlists. Even admonishments from the stage to take care of each other on the floor, and finally two drummers.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

'76 fills a void for me too, scratches a certain itch. Listen to 12/31/76 on a good system at a good volume and enjoy it in it's spectacular glory. 1976 is different, which has the ability to ooze into a particular mindset. Plus, for the most part, it was very well recorded (thanks Betty).

I found myself listening to 10/26/89 the last few days, only the second time since 30 trips came out. I am enjoying this go around much better.. great sound and recording (thanks Jeffrey).. anyway, scratches another itch and did I mention it sounds really flipping good with the right system?

Grew up in the DC area myself.. Merriweather was walking distance until I moved out from my folks house. My first serious GF was a dead freak and by dead freak I mean Grateful Dead and the Dead Kennedy's. She was way into punk, so I caught a bit of a punk contact buzz. We also caught tons of shows together over many years from sea to shining sea. Great memories..

I think I like 76 better than 77 or 78? But hey, “I’m silly that way, they call me rubber neck!”

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by P Hill

Endorse all bands with Brendan drumming, and eager to hear the full Coriky album. In college in Virginia, most of my friends would be playing hackysack in their Birks, talking about the latest Dischord release. Will try not to overstay my welcome on this topic, but for those interested, the Trap Set podcast had a great Q&A with Ian. Very interested to hear him talking about listening to Hendrix bootlegs.
http://www.thetrapset.net/202-ian-mackaye-minor-threat-fugazi-the-evens…

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by campaignshoutin

another one is lungfish get everything you can from them
amazing band

The moment may have passed for mentioning it, but there's a stellar version of Estimated played on 9/15/78 at Egypt. Its on the bonus disc of Rocking the Cradle, and for me its always stood out as one of the best tracks on any of the cds.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Yes.. They are an interesting band, she had seen them and had a couple t-shirts. I never saw them, but they were in her car and they played a lot downtown in the early to mid 80's, then I disappeared, off to school. 9:30 club comes to mind??

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...greetings and a grateful day to all my brothers & sisters out there! I hope all is well!
I’m really looking forward to the beacon theater shows. I’ve seen many many concerts there over the span of my life. One of my favorite shows I saw at the beacon theater was the Black Crows on a Halloween in the late 90’s mane 1996 or 1997 I can’t recall the year, an amazing performance, they whole band started the show dresses as Elvis, the whole band did; it was amazing night. I saw so many great bands and I love the theater . Always sounding primo in my Deadhead ! I always been on the lookout for an official release from the Dead from this venue so I’m doing little jigs around the house waiting for the box to arrive so I can once again relive an amazing series (5) performances from the Grateful Dead from 1976. Another favorite era of the good ol Grateful Dead 2976. Not a favorite with all dead fans but every release from 1976 released is primo in my book, not a dud in the whole lot, ect. Dicks & Daves Picks , Winterland and the spirit of 1976 Bonus Disc also come to mind and also the 76’ Release From The RoadTrips Series... a very special time in Dead history for this Deadhead fan & collector!

Also speaking of Boxsets , I was able to add the Complete Europe 72 boxset back into my collection. I sold my original for medical bills about 2 years ago if I remeber correctly . I found an all music Edtion of 72 boxset, the whole set complete and still sealed, every one of the 22 shows still sealed and in Primo condition on all 22 shows, just perfect condition. Very greatful to be blessed with this release back in my collection. Rock on deadheads! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹💀🌹
I recently sold a few Record LPs to a record collector. No Dead LPs, I sold a couple of original Beatles LPs and a couple of Elvis Records from my personal collection.
I was given an offer for the two Beatles LPs I couldn’t refuse, one being the white album on white vinyl. Excelent mix/mastering on this pressing. One of my favorite sources for the Beatles White Album. I have two more sets. It’s one of my favorite of their albums!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Ahhh, the 930 Club....quite familiar with that venue, saw many bands there back in the late '90's/turn of the century: Widespread Panic, Medeski Martin & Wood, Wilco, Dark Star Orchestra, Carl Denson's Tiny Universe, The Samples....tons of good times. I remember toking on a J in one of the dark/side rooms and getting busted yet claiming ignorance...

One of the coolest shows I saw there was the Medeski Martin & Wood show; they put chairs on the floor and it was very limited in terms of number of attendees. Had never seen it like that before but made for a very intimate performance.

Bring on the June '76 Box. So happy this is like a month away and not having to wait until the Fall or something for it to land. It was a sneaky close announcement of the release this time around and I'm not complaining at all. This is probably one of my all-time favorite eras - I mean this very particular run of shows in early June - they sound very different than even later in the summer. I Love the genesis of this sound and it's gonna be all totally Normanized!
What I AM curious about is Jerry's volume level on the 6/10 show; any version I've heard has him down pretty low in the mix. Given these are apparently 2 track tapes, my thoughts are they wouldn't be able to address that too much given the limited number of tracks - but I could be wrong. Curious if any others had recognized this or opined profusely on this point, as I seemingly have.

- Seventy-Sixtus

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...Grateful Dead - Buffalo 5/9/77 5LP
🙏❤️😎💀🌹
May 9, 1977 – Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York
First set:
"Help On the Way" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Slipknot" > (Garcia, Keith Godchaux, Kreutzmann, Lesh, Weir)
"Franklin's Tower" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Cassidy" (Weir, Barlow)
"Brown-Eyed Women" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Mexicali Blues" (Weir, Barlow)
"Tennessee Jed" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Big River" (Cash)
"Peggy-O" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead)
"Sunrise" (Donna Jean Godchaux)
"The Music Never Stopped" (Weir, Barlow)

Second set:
"Bertha" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Good Lovin'" (Clark, Resnick)
"Ship of Fools" (Garcia, Hunter)
Disc 3

"Estimated Prophet" > (Weir, Barlow)
"The Other One" > (Weir, Kreutzmann)
"Drums" > (Hart, Kreutzmann)
"Not Fade Away" > (Petty, Hardin)
"Comes a Time" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter)
Encore:
"Uncle John's Band" (Garcia, Hunter)

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

...321 Blast off!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The only band i'm into more than the dead. I love MMW. Rumor on the streets is a new album and a tour in 2020.

Tonic is one of my desert island albums. I also thought End of the World Party was way ahead of its time. And now that it's 15 years later I guess it's just about perfect.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

Its a Jungle In Here was one of the soundtracks to my college years. End of The World Party is great too, like Slow Dog says. Anything they do with John Scofield is extra juicy.

Their live sets are trippy AF. if you get a chance highly recommended.

I had a long day and saw your Jerky Boys reference....and decided to fire up a little JB....I'm looking for paintwork....
what do you say we get together and paint each other up...Yeah forget about it

LAST 5

Who By Numbers
The Samples Blue album or first album
Quadrophenia
Eric Clapton live in Budokan Japan 2009
30 Trips 1988

Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

....but I'm eager to learn.
I only have so many ears and so much time to digest it all.
Edit. From Wikipedia....
"In 2016, John Medeski formed supergroup Saudade with Chino Moreno of Deftones, Team Sleep, Palms, and Crosses; guitarist Dr. Know of Bad Brains; bassist Chuck Doom of Crosses and Team Sleep; and drummer Mackie Jayson of Cro-Mags and Bad Brains."
....full circle giving recent conversations here. Amazing.
I know of, and enjoy the hell out of Bad Brains, when the mood suits me.
Another edit. The Cro-Mags. Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long, long time....

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I know 2/19 falls in the Capital Theatre 71 anniversary run. But i love the February 73 tour. He's Gone>Truckin>Other One Eyes Of The World>China Doll.... 4th Eyes Ever.... sign me up doc.... bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I know I'm probably repeating it to much but this 2nd disk is just sublime the more I hear it. The franklins tower is hot. All around smoking set.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

Good to hear some earnest enthusiasm.. Bring it!

Giants was surprisingly good too, plus the way far under the radar Get Shown the Light box and the wee, tiny mention 3 trips around the sun. Life is good.

did we miss any good ones?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Sublime smokes, love that 40 oz to Freedom album from start to finish, the original 1992 Skunk Records version with the song Get Out and the Rawhide cover. Get Out is just about the highlight of that album for me and I dig the whole thing from Waiting for My Ruca to Thanx. If you like Sublime, check out the Long Beach Dub All Stars, includes some of the same members and has some cool stuff. Particularly dig some of the stuff on their Right Back album, especially the song Righteous Dub.

Gave 5/12/77 from the first May '77 box another listen today and man does that disc 3 smoke. So good I may have to give it another listen tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...is the song currently playing as I spin Tame Impala's album Lonerism. Mind Mischief does it for me a lot, but the whole album grooves along nicely.

user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

for international shipments, why not take directly the customs fees, and allow us a shipment other than the standard one.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

….. Bad Brains suck! I had never heard of these guy until this recent thread. I was surprised/not surprised I have two of their albums. Not my cup of tea. But MMW, oh yeah. Never unhappy when I play them.

I don't think I ever see him mentioned, but once again he's been hot in my player, Steve Forbert. Those first couple of albums were great, Alive on Arrival and Jackrabbit Slim.

Never see Southside Johnny mentioned here either.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html