What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DanielSpace
    I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • lianshu
    adidas superstar 80s femme pas cheradidas Outlet en ligne | Jusqu'à -50 % | adidas Canada adidas zx flux pas cher chaussure de foot adidas pas cher : La boutique 100% Chaussure ... www.vinatrend.com
  • icenine2
    Default Avatar
    When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
  • rolandswan
    Default Avatar
    Are you not happy with your current hosting go with One Euro web Hosting and make your business more profitable .
  • kite
    Default Avatar
    It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Thanks. bathtub pillow
  • aaron1990
    Default Avatar
    When you can drop into the combat on your own, the game is very gaining steam as a co-op name thanks to its profound team features. BattlegroundsArmory.com for Steam platform is a digital product - no field included. It will be released as an electronic download for $29.99 (the same price as the PC version).
  • arunk55
    Default Avatar
    This is i got super cool idea now what let me think about it. paypal money adder
  • lilmaria1212
    Default Avatar
    Solid offer for the music community, although it's a bit pricey?! JUST A BIT! Lol, I'm already spending a bunch of money on music promotion services.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Unkle Sam: “As far as a sound system, had it for years, some parts over 40 years and there ain't too much better out there, it ain't new, but it kicks butt, I won't discribe it lets just say ‘top of the line’.”Translation: My equipment is better than yours, so shut up. Unkle Sam: “I'm not tone deaf so I can hear and what I hear is sub par.” Translation: My opinion is not subjective. Those who disagree should see an audiologist. Unkle Sam: “Now the real argument is will you pay for better sounding releases? I doubt it.” Translation: Y’all just don’t care much about sound quality. Unkle Sam: “I really have no beef with Norman, he just does what seems to be the norm today, just get it done and collect the cash.” Translation: Norman is a greedy hack. Of course, I’m fine with that. Unkle Sam: “Why the beef with ebay sellers? For those of you who think that capitalism ain't all bad, it's a great way to make some cash from yourold worn out cd's and lp's. It's the system that makes these recordings valuable for resale, not the individual.” Translation: I’ll conveniently ignore the fact that – much like mail order ticket scalpers of days past – unsavory characters are sucking up limited releases before they can be purchased by actual music lovers, and flipping them for 100%-200% markups on eBay. Of course, this translation is NOT intended as a personal attack - just my own personal, highly subjective and agitated take on Mr. Sam's antagonistic tone. Why can't we all just enjoy the music?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"why would the powers that be authorize a release if it is 43 years old and has been sitting on a roof or wherever for this long?" 1- How many times have commenters in these threads claimed they were not going to purchase an upcoming purchase because they already have high-qual copies of those shows? Almost every thread has one or more of us, the very-interested-in-new-releases community members, taking this stand. The internet has delivered unto GDM/Rhino both a blessing, the means to efficiently market to and interact with the customer-base, and a curse, the means for that same audience to get widely-available high-qual recordings of many of the Dead's shows. Newly discovered tapes means these recordings were never torrented, treed, or LiveMusicArchived. 2- Ever decide to not buy a new GDM release because you have high-quals already?.... It isn't very pleasing. Some of us have collected A LOT OF DEAD over the years, tape-trading in the 80's/90's and internet harvesting in the later years... People in that position tend to like new-to-them shows! They're fun! Personally, my perfect DaP year would be two new-to-me releases and two upgrades-of-shows-I-have releases. So far DiPs , Road Trips, and DaPs have provided me with many more new-to-mes than upgrades (and, as for 5/15/70, a brutal downgrade!), but I do enjoy first listening as much as when I was a young'un! Your experience may vary...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Seems like a lot of negative vibes have crept back up on this upcoming release. We should all be grateful that these releases keep coming. No other band has an archive like the Dead. They had the foresight to tape and archive their shows. We as fans are treated to many releasees a year, nice quality CD's, made to sound the best they possibly can. I just don't see why so many attack Dave for his choices, or fuss over the sound quality. We will continue to receive these releases for many more years. I for one am grateful for anything released. Some I like better then others, but we all have our favorite periods and songs. Lighten up folks and just take it as it comes. Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

These various box set releases sound good to me but I am no audio expert. Tuesday is coming -- and I cannot wait to unwrap this one. Christmas, Hanukkah, your birthday in June!!!!!!!!! Gravy, Baby, Gravy, with Bacon!!!!! A good early 80s box would be welcomed by me. Maybe a 79 box, you know, early Brent. Spring 80 from in and around "Going to Nassau."
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Man, I love this China Cat Sunflower->I Know You Rider->High Time and you can hear everyone in the band just going nuts.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The box set has landed - made it all the way across the Atlantic ahead of time - #11555. No time for listening yet, but oh, what a beautiful box! It's much smaller than I imagined it would be, just right for a bookshelf. Big kudos to Dave, Jeffrey and Rhino.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Dancingdear.dk -- Did you receive an email notice that May 77 was being shipped or did it just arrive? Are you in Denmark? Enjoy!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

oh, sure, it has just arrived - in Denmark.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Hi Dancingbear. Did you receive an email from Dead.net saying that your order for May 77 was shipped to you? If yes. When did you receive the email notice?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 6 months

Glad to hear that this is starting to arrive on folks' doorsteps! I'll be awaiting my copy in New Hampshire. This thread has indeed taken on a bad vibe, and I find that it often is useless to argue with those who are impossible to please. My advice is, if you think that Rhino, Norman, et. al. are releasing a poor product, check out what other bands are releasing. Has anyone heard the Allman Bros. archival releases, for example? Some are pretty much unlistenable to me, a real shame, especially considering that the Brothers won't allow their shows to be shared at places like etree. In fact, one of my favorite live Allmans release is the one from Feb. '70, recorded by Bear, that GD merchandising released many years ago and is now OOP. If you don't like what the powers are putting out, don't buy it. No need to get vitriolic.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

@deadegad: OK, I see what you're getting at. And the answer is NO, I did not get an advance notice, by e-mail or otherwise.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

My credit card hasn't been dinked yet, so I'm sure mine hasn't shipped. Hoping for tomorrow!
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Just an FYI for everyone. You can check your order status and it does actually work. Just make sure you use your order number and FULL 9 DIGIT zip code. Hope that helps some of you. I know for spring 90 I sure as hell could have used that information. On that note, my May 77 is still listed as a preorder and my card hasn't been billed so here's hoping for tomorrow ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

Just got my shipping notice, May 1977 will be in Atlanta tomorrow afternoon! This set is sure to be outstanding!Its almost time!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

... to EU (Greece) and wonder what the import taxes and duties will be. Better with USPS... Anyone that had to pay these crazy DHL fees? Thanks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just got my email confirmation Things are moving and shaking!
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I recently obtained a decent set of CDs of the May 9th show, and have been listening to it in preparation. I'm looking forward to hearing how the jams evolved throughout the shows in the upcoming box. How fun that some European folks have received theirs while mine has aparently not yet shipped to Colorado. Kind of makes up for some previous box sets which had trouble getting to Europe. I once ordered a box from dead.net and sent it directly to a fellow in Australia because he was having difficulty with dead.net shipping, but that was a few years ago, and I think I heard that they have a newer outfit for "fulfillment" which I think means "order taking and shipping."
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I wonder what a pile of 10,000 - 15,000 of these boxes looks like in the shipping department warehouse... Do they have a few warehouses, or just the one in Kentucky, or what? And where's the factory?
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

I'm so glad I'm not intelligent enough to notice the problems with sound quality that others seem to.I am stunned by Dave's Pick 6, sound and performance. I'm intensely grateful that they patch up these old masterpieces. And it seems to make sense that these get done before much of the later stuff gets released.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

Looking forward to getting it when I get home from work today!! Hmmm, maybe zip home @ lunchtime? hmmmmm...no CD player @ work though and no way to rip 14 CDs in 15 minutes...Still a pretty happy day!! Nice job on the shipping Grateful Mission Control!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Just checked my order status on this site. It states "backordered". Guess that answers thismikebenz question about what does 10,000 - 15,000 boxes look like in the shipping department. There are no 10,000 - 15,000 boxes in the shipping department. Hopefully this is just a mistake on the shipping status.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I called the 877 332 3638 24 hr order info line. The words "back-ordered" threw me too. However I was told that my order with the standard Free Shipping offer would ship in the next 24 to 48 hours. It's Tuesday morning June 11th. When I call back Thursday morning I expect to hear that my order has left the store and is on it's way to me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I got the shipping notice half a day after the package was delivered.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Here as well. Whatever that means, at least I know that I'm not the only one. Just out of curiosity, I just added a set to my shopping cart to see what it would say -- status was "backordered" there as well. Was really hoping that the package would arrive this week in time for my birthday...if it does, by some chance, it'll be an excellent surprise! Happy listening, everyone!
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I'm with nottwo... I must not be very cool, smart, or discerning. I must have really low standards, as I have almost always been somewhere between happy and totally blown away by the fact that I can wiggle my fingers on the keyboard of my computer, have my bank account dip a little, then at some point BOOM some pretty amazing music that sort of accidentally got saved from when I was a baby {I was born in '67} will show up at my door, having been restored and made suitable for CDs. I have been sharing this video clip from Louie CK with lots of folks lately, My wife and I love the perspective suggested in this 5 minute clip. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/86296/ "Everything is amazing and nobody's happy" WHenever these CDs make it to my door, I will enjoy listening to them, and thankful that in this way, I can stay connected to the international brother/sisterhood of fellow Dead fans. I am so grateful that the music vaults are accessible, and that there are enough of us still around that can support the Dead industry nearly 20 years after the band itself stopped touring. I'm in BOulder Colorado, so I am fortunate to go to a lot of close-by Furthur and MIckey Hart Band shows every year, and that makes me happy too!
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Thanks thismike. Nice post. My feelings exactly. Enjoyed the LouisCK clip, too.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

we are really lucky to be still getting all this "licorice" all these years-keep them coming. I may like one release more than another one for any variety of reasons but I'm happy to have all of them. ditto with the Jerry releases. Man am I happy to have those too. Its not the same as being in the crowd 10 feet from the big guy but it's the next best thing at this point in time. Buy some for gifts to your friends who may be in the dark about all this.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Like others, my status switched to ''Backordered'' last night. I feel good about shipping times, though, since both Europe 72 box and Spring 1990 arrived at my door BEFORE I received shipping notice or was dinged on my credit card. Rest assured, they're getting these things out as fast as they can -- though for almost $12 shipping, it seems like they could get it to us "same day as release" via FedEx.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

'However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.' - anyone found where this is yet?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

i expect nothing from these people other than that i'll like the music when it arrives. sometimes it takes an email or two. sometimes it requires a returned disc. sometimes i get shipping notices, sometimes i don't. sometimes it arrives 3 weeks after people post about receiving theirs. sometimes it comes before the release date. sometimes the deliverer wants more money. sometimes i get that money back. i used to care about all of this, but nothing changed, so i did. now i don't care and i just wait for the music, because that's what it's all about. you can complain about rhino, but really, the provision of hard-copy product is a dying industry. nobody but collectors and people over about 35 buy CDs anymore. hell, i'd lay odds that the amount of people who steal this boxset by way of bittorrent will exceed the amount sold tenfold. what's left of record companies is outsourced and understaffed to preserve profitability. we'll be very very lucky if there are GD boxsets being released in as little as 7 years' time. enjoy it while it lasts.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

you all are. Mine said backordered this AM and then I got an email saying it shipped today and now it says shipped. They're all on the way, I'm sure. The term backordered is probably just how they need to enter it into inventory before it gets shipped from a different location or something logistical like that. Can't wait to hear these. And FWIW DP #6 is a total prize.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

#10804 has arrived in Atlanta!! First off, I love the packaging and the artwork. The case is about the size of a DVD set. The CDs are easy to removed from each sleeve as well. Like the spring 90 set, may 1977 was shipped in a nice decorated outer box. I really like that touch. I think everyone is going to be pleased with this box! I know I can't wait. I started working at 4am today in Birmingham AL. After putting in a solid day I rushed back to the ATL because my tracking number said the box would be delivered today. I get home and beat the UPS guy by 30 min. The kids are gone for 2 days, my wife is still at work, it's 90 degrees outside but cool in the house, and it's time to crack open May 1977!! You can't beat that on a Tuesday! I'm working in Mobile AL later this week, 12 hours round trip of drive time, May 1977 came just at the right time and I think everything is just exactly perfect. Thanks to Rhino, Dave, Jeffrey, Betty, and anyone else who in any way, shape, or form was a part of this release. I love everything y'all release for us and I gladly purchase them all. The music enriches my life is makes it a little easier to get by day to day. Thank you
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Hmm, I had a problem getting a couple out and I usually don't have a problem getting them out. In fact, whoever put the discs in looks like they might've had a slight problem too as there were a couple of slight creases. Still, very pleased with the set so far.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Link should be up now, at the top of the page right under the link to buy the box set. Speak up if you have difficulties!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

is here. (This is for all downloads, not just this one which will be with us shortly...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

Great stuff!! I checked out the Sunrise Scarlet--->Fire on the way to pick up Mrs from the train, it sounded great...I'll rip to my computer but very pleased with what I'm hearing here, out of the crappy speakers on my computer, until I'm done ripping...uh oh, project halted, itunes not finding disc 3 of the 05/12/77 set. :-( 05/11 is smokin' though! Great bar band stuff, more lively drums than Winterland 73 w/ the extra set of hands and a real crisp, clear mix.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

05/13/77 ripping away fine...hmmm....what to do what to do...last fair deal in the town...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

#14709I just finished classes and am glad to get this for some summer fun. The Mix sounds LIVE, crowd noises, sounds good. Late 70s Garcia-guitar has always been a favorite for me so I am happy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Many thanks for offering these as downloads!!! I hope you continue to embrace the digital age in future releases! Very much appreciated! Unfortunately, this is too much for my blood. Please continue with the digital releases. :) :) :) :) Much Love!!! XOXOXOXO Greendude :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Surprised no 2 CD set is offered in the May77 store as were done for the last 2 Box Sets (Europe72 & Spring90). Boy, they do have everything else from tee shirts to coffee mugs.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The tracks are showing all their info (title, artist, album) for us in both formats. What player are you using, if you're still having this issue? Also, link to cover art now listed above.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I see folks saying talking about ripping their cds from this set like, right away. I wonder, how many of you are like me and plan the first listen to be on a CD player which can take advantage of the HDCD process, and a decent amplfier and speakers? Of course it will make it into my Dead-only Zune 120 (it's a dinosaur, but is reliable, and only has Grateful Dead and alums on it) foroffice, car, and headphone use. However, in our living room, bedroom, and basement workshop, it's CDs all the way. I will actually do a test with these new discs, and play mp3 player of a song then play the CD, through the same home stereo, and see how muh difference there is between the HDCD and the 320 Zune and ipod MP3. (wife uses iPod) So anyway, how many of you plan to really enjoy listening to the HDCD? Also, does anyone know whether ripping a 320 MP3 from HDCD differs from a 320 MP3 ripped from a standard CD? I'm a little worried that if everyone's just ripping and iPodding, they'll figure it's a waste to make the nice HDCDs, and start offering download only.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Oh, and I know that I am somewhat ignorant about some of the technology involved in digital sound files, so I hope that those who know more about this sort of thing than I do will chime in with lots of advice and discussions. However, I ask that you please be nice, and not be snotty or condescending. I'm trying to learn about it, and am already paying you respect by seeking opinions. I know I am ignorant.
product sku