• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is this the same boxe set that came out a few years back?
user picture

Member for

8 years

Pretty sure the stand-alone cornell show was never limited to a certain number, so thatll be around in the future.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Last Thursday I spent 6 hours like an ahole, re entering all my info, credit card, paypal etc to no avail, at one point for unknown reason I had 13 copies in my shopping cart, but only wanted one, still could not check out nor reduce items in my cart, so I called repeatedly, at least 5x on 2017/02/16 and was placed on hold only to be disconnected after 20 or so minutes each time. The system was flawed at best. I took a break, had a cold one or ten and tried at 11:30 pm est that night. At that point the website flipped to Rhino and I was able to order a solitary copy, thankfully. With that said, I feel for all of those who were shut out. At this point I am grateful but still pissed off. Like most of you, I'm not getting any younger and the frustrated hours I wasted trying to give my hard earned money away I will never get back....Goddammit I fucking miss Jerry! And the simplicity of the 70s.... Peace from my pipe.....
user picture

Member for

8 years

No, its not. The one from 2013 (? i think it was 2013) had shows from May 11, 12, 13, 15, & 17. This box hold shows from earier in May. Some might call it redundant. Id call them uninformed.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

You ought to consider a pre-sale that runs a month or more and then establish a limited edition number based on those sales and projected future sales (e.g., amount sold + 1,500). That would give everyone a chance to buy a copy at a more leisurely pace to avoid website crashes, and would keep the Limited Edition number more in tune with demand. It would still be Limited Edition but without the risk of selling out before demand is met.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

this is a new set of dates preceding those included in the initial may 77 box. the new may 77 set is from recently returned to archive betty boards not available at time of earlier may 77 box. although with the outcry here today, i could see how you would think this is a reissue of that first may 77 box.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

chiming in ...I'm kinda glad the AME is the same price. It means I did not pay a lot for the extra stuff or a number. I just get a little bonus for being 'first in line(?)' It happens, some call it incentive. Anyway, just got around to listening to the nearly 25 min. apparently included 'DL of Scarlet>Fire' [01_Scarlet_Begonias_Fire_On_The_Mountain_Live_at_Barton_Hall_Cornell_University_Ithaca_NY_5_8_77.mp3] and it caused me to exclaim WOW on several occasions.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

No it's the 4 shows that preceded that box. IMO the four best of Spring 77, at least 3 of 4.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

I am down with the 1-2 order minimum. Or at least next time let us know what exactly is available. nobody here can honestly say that you believe Rhino came up with this in the final hour because of demand........Cornell and Buffalo, come on man. ### Does anyone here know if the GD re-signed with Rhino??? I thought their contract was up.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just received a reply from Dead.net that my order last week didn't go through. :(
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

It's a little disheartening to see that there are already several ads posted on Ebay for this release at 3 times the price of the original list price. Obviously several lecherous flippers have taken note of the importance of this release and have taken advantage of the fact they could get their hands on several copies. Probably why the box set sold out so quickly. I always thought the music was for the fans. What was that thing Jerry said about "once we're done with the music.."? Anyways, of course I understand that these releases are part of a business that provides jobs and puts food on the table for many people, including the band members. However, the people directly responsible for these releases are not naive and should have put in a better strategy or effort with respects to making sure the music gets into the hands of as many actual fans as possible. A 20 purchase limit makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I find it hard to believe that GDM or Rhino did not understand that by having such a high limit, the "flippers" would immediately hone in on this highly desirable item, and mass purchase several copies. The selling of the "All music Music" edition is a decent move. However, maybe you guys should take the extra step of backtracking a little, and revisit all the orders placed and see if there are many orders placed that included 4,5...20 copies. If there are many such orders, maybe you guys should contact those individuals, offer up a new policy/limit and refund the money for any box sets that went over that new, more fan friendly limit. There has got to be a better solution to these releases, in terms of recognizing your very loyal fan base. Most loyal fan base ever. Also, I understand that you guys had the extra expense of having to buy back the tapes for these shows. However, considering there was no expense incurred in terms of the band actually going through the process of recording new material, I just don't understand why the LP and recent LP releases have been priced so high. The last RSD release was a little much and offered up nothing in terms of extra frills to augment the experience of the box set. Just a box a some incredible music. Yes the music is the most important part, but for that much!? The Cornell LP and the recent Dave's Picks subscription are my last two GD purchases I'll ever make again. The music for every show is available free, always has been and I love the Dead for having such a fact be a reality. I've supported the band with varying degrees of loyalty ever since my first tape in 1986 and first show in 1987 at Kingswood Theatre. My decent LP collection ranks the Dead number 1 in terms of releases, including several studio, Light in the Attic, Brookvale Records and Rhino releases. I love every one of those purchases. However, the price tag and the difficulty of getting these items is starting to ruin the experience. I always thought the music was for the people, regular folk, young and old. Now it seems it's just for who has the fattest wallet. I doubt very much young fans can afford your LP releases. Weird. Hope and serious concern to my American brothers and sisters dealing with the age of Trump.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Rhino/GD - So after touting a "limited" CD release, you're now also selling infinite CD copies? OK.... I guess there's no rush to buy these "limited" runs anymore, since the definition of "limited" has changed. Next, will Dave's Picks also be available as non-numbered CD editions to satisfy demand? (I mean, they sell out quickly as well, right?) There's nothing wrong with unlimited releases like "Nightfall of Diamonds". But either a product IS a limited CD release, or its NOT. You can't have it both ways. Maybe allow downloads, but not unlimited CD's in addition to numbered CD's. Doing so only dilutes your product and your reputation.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Your argument lacks the inclusion of several facts. Dicks Picks was originally released as a mail order but eventually a bar code was added and the discs were sold in stores. I bought several in my local Best Buy. As the record industry declined, this model got outdated. But it wasn't before GDP/GDM went to Rhino for management and a 2nd edition was released. After the GDP and Rhino releases, RGM (Real Gone) released a 3rd edition. And if you don't think you pay a premium for a 1st edition vs a 3rd, not just of Dick's Picks... but go on someplace like Wolfgang's Vault and look at 1st vs 3rd or 4th edition posters. And who wouldn't want 1st edition bragging rights? Now modernize the delivery model for cd's. You want to print a million discs and hold them in a warehouse, to MAYBE one day sell? Or do you want to guarantee you sell 15K? And beyond that 15K.. is that 15,001 to 20,000 going to sell fast enough that you don't lose your profit in FTE costs, warehouse and insurance costs? Or do you do all 15K? They tried a Digital Only model (Download Series). There's a reason they don't do that any more, I guarantee. It's called mega, dropbox, et.al. Even usenet has the Download Series. $$ left on the table couldn't be picked up no matter how hard you tried. So the limited edition not only fills the marketing void and turns product over quick, it limits the exposure and liability. Putting out a set with no limit, leaves too much on the table. Putting out too much inventory, and you're stuck holding it (SSDD anyone??) Putting out too much of a limited edition.... same thing like with Terrapin Limited... OOOH Mine is numbered.... 49,553???? of how many? Dave's Picks and others, it's a science. Rhino and GDP know what they're doing. DP aren't just cheaper than DaP because of the numbers. It's because of the pure volume of DP... the 3 editions...etc. Then again.... a first edition DP will be considerably more in some cases than a 3rd edition. Having 1 million dave's picks one on the market, would make it the same price as dick's picks 1
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 3 months

OK what is up with the Rockplast shows-Germany 1981....would be great to get quality video/audio of this show out there. Anyone?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

yeah, the music is for the fans... etc... It's still a business people. Always was, always will be. it might run differently than a regular business but not THAT much. and again anyone who thinks a limited 15K box isn't going to command more of a price than a music only edition is mistaken... see Europe 72 trunk vs all music edition. And Anyone who thought they'd get rich on grateful dead cd's, is also mistaken. AND anyone paying 3x for this box set now, ALSO is uneducated. See ANY release from the band... a LOT of people buy the boxes and releases, and rip them to itunes and sell them on ebay often for at or below the original selling price. Be patient, wait. You'll be fine... and save money. This conversation is funny to watch though....
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

This numbered CD, is blowing me away, I really think it could be the best 2 track recording that Betty ever did, no plangent process,just her 2 track recording with her lovely tweaks and a great HDCD mix, then mastering by Jeff Norman. Actually says recorded by REX JACKSON, who was married to Betty, did so until He died. They would work together a lot, Rex (Ramrod), was Bobby's guitar and rigtech, a job Betty took over herself after RAMROD passed, plus the recording duties. the only jam songs here are PITB,WHICH is a delightful 17 minutes, Jerry is like super on this night,and EOTW IS GREAT at 15 minutes. Bobby is having a great night too. I love that Garcia is on his strat and Weir is playing his Gibson. AND topping it off is Billy K pounding the skins. NEXT stop Barton HALL, there are several versions in the archives, plus about 5 full shows on youtube, including a good Cantor sbd in the archive.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

well said
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 4 months

I'm astounded by how many people are missing the point, or worse, are too self absorbed to care. The point of the outrage is a LOT of TRUE deadheads missed out on this because of people who wanted an extra copy "to store away" or multiple copies to resell on ebay, etc., both of which TAKE AWAY from others getting THEIR FAIR share. Personally, I had the chance to purchase it, had it in my cart Sunday night, but chose not to pull the trigger. No regrets. Especially now. It's just plain this was a marketing strategy from the start. Sell out, then sell a ton more at the same price but bigger profit. I'm not playing. Not now. Not ever again. I'll be happy with the extra copies my friends will now be making and distributing, or hoopladigital.com, or archive.org. I won't support a business model like this, not for Grateful Dead music. The GDP and Rhino/Warner execs can factor THAT into their bottom line! You've made a killing now at the expense of losing long time loyal consumers like me next time. And the next, and the next, etc., etc. The losses, added up and multiplied, will be significant, even though I know that people who only care about today won't be losing sleep over it. I just don't see the logic behind setting a limit on concert ticket purchases as a way to SHARE the wealth but NOT applying that same logic to these releases. Those of you who bought more than you truly need, I have as little respect for you as I do for the ones who sold them to you. But I guess it doesn't really matter, anyway. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Guess it doesn't matter anyway. Though it should.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

while you had this release sitting in your cart August West Wharf Rat or another waiting deadhead may have been trying to buy it. how come you put in your cart and then decided not to purchase?? did you just want to see that you could if you wanted to?? weird. ***wondering if anyone will go to the website, click quickly on the pic (all music) and think they are getting the #'d box set? Funny they dont have a pic of the SOLD OUT box next to the ALL MUSIC box.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

This one is May 1977 PRETOO.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

who purchase multiple copies to sell & deprive others of the chance to purchase a single copy for themselves. I'd have love to seen a limit on how many you can purchase. Still, I'm not sure 1 is appropriate. What if you want to it as a gift for a Head & want it too? I don't get the anger at Rhino for making more copies available. They are doing what they should do. And at the same time, it hurts those who want to re-sell their copies as it incrases supply & thus decrases demand. Those who got in early get the extras, those who want the music still get it. Win-Win.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 3 months

Seeing this was gonna sell quick, I jumped in for the box. Now we've got the All Music ed, whats to stop this being sold on Amazon at a big discount?
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Read my post from laSt night. GDM has it exactly right. If it were not for the resellers, the extended Vault program would not have been able to provide as many releases for us in the past 10 years. They are not looking to take product away from resellers who buy up to 20 or more copies. They are looking to get as many resellers buying their product as possible so that they can produce more and more with each release. This is how went from 12000 to 14000 - 16 and a half thousand. Like it or not the resellers are the people who keep the releases come in Fast & Furious. Don't begrudge them, thank them. And get your subscription early. That way you get a bonus disc and you're guaranteed not to miss out. This is business son, not charity.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

i disagree 100%. also, your "son" comment to iko iko is like a Trump handshake. +++Due May 5th, we anticipate that this revelatory boxed set will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks. Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. ---doesnt say anything about more cd's. anyone that wanted this could ALWAYS have gotten it. bs about the "masses" not getting this. *** i hope i get #1977 or #5877 or #5789
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think these msg boards are very funny, borderline crazy?? Sooooo much fake outrage in the world today, why don't you organize some fake protest and march on Dead.net headquarters.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Over the years I wasn't always able to swing the cost of these box sets when they were released. In fact the timing of this one caught me off guard with limited funds in the bank. (I'm rather poor and probably shouldn't be buying these in the first place.) I've missed out on Fillmore 69, the two '90 boxes and July '78 (though I believe that one may still be available) I was able to grab the '72 trunk! :) That being said I'm curious if anyone around here is willing to discuss parting ways with any of those three? If so let's chat. Like some of us I've checked Ebay but don't want to shell out that kind of money. I know it's a long shot but just thought I'd try. And if July '78 is still available, is it worth it? Thanks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

What do the limited edition sets have that the AME doesn't? It does seem shady to urge people to get the limited # of sets claiming they'll be gone, then releasing more right after the sell out. At the same time I'm sure a lot of people couldn't grab it in time & are glad they can still get packaged officially released sbds of these shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 4 months

Hahaha, well played, dr. shakedown! But I see nothing "weird" about taking something out of my shopping cart and putting it back on the shelf. You never done that before? I decided I didn't need it that much, plain and simple. I'm not a completist. Better that someone who is should get a copy. That's my prerogative, is it not?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Folks here is the deal. Rhino has the GOODS. We know it, they know it. So just like back in the days when someone has the GOODS. There was not much we could do but be nice to them till we could leave with the GOODS. Some things never change. I could easily change Rhinos system to allow Dead Heads to get the stuff before Ebay. But Rhino does not care at all about that. It is obvious. THEY HAVE THE GOODS. Which means they have all the POWER. The fact that the Dead gave it to them, or that they bought it. That is the bigger question. We just have to deal with it and get used to it. As in life once you learn the rules you can adjust. Anyway on to something else. I bought a DAT player at auction a couple weeks back. It did not work. So I took it to my tech and it is repaired. Can not wait to get it back and have some fun. Might record this box on DAT so I can keep the CDs in killer condition and just play the DATs. Not the itunes but the DATs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

I was amazed when the email for this showed up. I was lucky: redirected to Rhinostore Thursday evening, got in the order, got a confirmation, got a "pending" transaction notice from AMEX, and there it sits in order status, "not yet shipped." But given the experience, I thought of trying to order another, to be "safe." Glad I did not succumb to the high speed wobble that was going on in Deadland. I don't know what a "true" deadhead is. I do know that, having let several boxes slide by and later deciding to purchase them from 3rd parties, it is not done on the cheap, especially for unopened boxes. I did pick up all of Europe 72 via single purchases, most from dead.net, with only 3 or 4 going at ourageous amounts. Winterland 73 goes for not much over original retail; Winterland 77 and the first 90 box are painful, but I made the decision and did not regret it. Got Fillmore West 69 when it came out; that's also very pricey now. May 77 may be a relative bargain compared to those I mentioned. I may be sacrilegious here, but I never liked tapes, going back to mid-60's, due to all of the potential problems with magnetized heads showing up for no reason despite de-magnetizing, and other stuff that could turn a good tape into something that sounded as if it had been recorded underwater. So, I like cds, and they have gotten much better in sound over 30 years. Plus, I have not gotten to the point where I've tried to add a bunch of software to be able to download stuff from archive.org., partly because, as the audiophile store folks here say about digital music equipment, Apple does not play well with others. I can manage the indulgence and the cost, although I won't pick up everything. No "30 Trips" for me, because it seems to be a bit of a contrived concept, although I get the anniversary thing.The Dave's shows aren't any better than the Dick's shows, of which I have the originals, and which came from a more low-key time for the entire dead.net set-up. In fact, Dick's 3 and Dick's 29, from the same tour as the new box, sound damn good, even without the plangent process. The quality of playing on this tour is simply consistently excellent, and I expect the new box will only reinforce that belief. Being from the 71-78 concertgoing era, I have an obvious preference for that, but, as with Dick's, I discovered there is plenty of good stuff in the entire body of work. This AME does seem a bit cynical, though. Not sure how long it took for the Europe 72 tour to return as individual shows; was it the same, almost immediate, deal? At least there you could pick and choose the ones you wanted. And half of them are still on the site. Have to agree with some who favor a limit on number of purchases. The limited edition, generally very high-sonic quality, releases will be a fact of life for Dead music, given that so much of it is readily available in varying quality for free. Despite Garcia's lovely comment about what happens to the music after the show, the fact is the Dead are the artisis, and it's their art. When you buy on EBay or Amazon 3rd party, it becomes obvious what the seller's motivation is, despite friendly transactions. I will say, I did wonder, if I had bought another, how crummy would I feel trying to gouge someone for the music? Wasn't worth it to find out....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I believe the Betty Boards of these shows are worthy...the flac24 does the music justice, sorry I don't have a hard copy CD to offer.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

Ok, can someone please tell what this means " in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase. " What is a "folio" ? And what do they mean by "simple slipcase" - a visual of this would be nice .
user picture

Member for

8 years

In my head, I think the folio is going to look a lot like the July 78 box set shows inside the box, as well as the previous may 77 box set. Those tall, almost DVD case looking things. As far as the slip case, Im not sure I know where theyre going with that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

who knows. it can't be too bad though, because the artwork is also part of the spinoff all music edition.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm in the UK, I was lucky to get the Limited box ordered without too much hassle. Looking forward to it, and this news about the AME doesn't change anything for me ..... I've been able to get all of the boxes over the years, including FW69, Europe '72, Spring '90. I opted for the USB version of 30 Trips, rather than the box, and couldn't be happier, and I have all the Dick's and Dave's Picks, Download Series et al ..... (you get the picture)However, I feel GDM could avoid all the real or perceived grievances by offering all these releases, in different formats, as do many other bands: 1. Limited Box, with all the trimmings 2. Limited USB, with Special packaging 3. Special Vinyl Versions 4. All Music Edition, with the basics 5. Digital Downloads, in FLAC, ALAC, AAC and MP3 formats (as Bandcamp do) You then takes your choice
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

folio * an individual leaf of paper or parchment, numbered on the recto or front side only, occurring either loose as one of a series or forming part of a bound volume. re: PRINTING the page number in a printed book. a sheet of paper folded once to form two leaves (four pages) of a book.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 4 months

...is pure gold. It's transparent. It's respectful. It's the way deadheads deserve to be treated. I would only add that LIMITED editions should still be LIMITED to 2 per person, at least for the first month.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

What does this have to do with Trump iko
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

First of all, I clearly stated that I understood that this is a business and am absolutely not asking for charity. Where oh where did you get that from my comment is beyond me. Also, to suggest that I should thank the flippers for getting in the way of my purchase of any product via mass ordering upon INITIAL RELEASE is asinine. The flippers are NOT the people who keep releases coming in fast and furious. The hard working and quality conscious group headed by Dave and THE LOYAL FANS are the ones keeping the releases coming!! Oh, and these same flippers are ruining RSD. By your theory, the flippers are the ones that helped bring back the LP and made RSD so popular. Wrong! The music fans, bands and ever vigilant record stores did that. Another thing. I clearly stated that I thought their move to make an all music edition was a nice touch. However, right now, there are flippers suggesting that "1 in every 1000" deadheads will get their hands on the music and ripping heads off. Or, with respect to the cornell CD, that it is already sold out. This is what you think GDM had as a vision?! With respect to subscriptions, guess what? I subscribe when I want something like Dave's 2017 picks and the Cornell LP. I'm fine with the price point for the CDs, but am not impressed with what it costs to get their LPs anymore. It is very clear through my experience purchasing LPs over the years of many groups and styles of music that there is an absolute premium being placed on the Grateful Dead's recent releases via Rhino. Every time I visit my favorite record store, we have a good and frustrating conversation about the unreasonable practices of some people involved in the marketing and selling of LPs. It's like the collusion and ripoff session of the initial CD years all over again. Finally, I absolutely and totally resent the end of your comment. To add such a condescending tone is just plain rude and uncalled for. Obviously you have forgotten one of the most endearing qualities of the band. Their relationship with their fans. I haven't. Anyways, I'm moving on. Tons of fairly priced music out there for me to discover. My loyalty to the band will no longer be acknowledged by my wallet. That's the real world right? It's a business decision on my part to not fall for anymore marketing schemes or pay any extra premiums on anymore GD products. Tons and tons of music out there to be had without being put in a position of being gouged because of my interest in the music.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In a surprise announcement today Grateful Deaf Merchandising revealed that the All Music Edition will not be the actual Grateful Dead concerts included in the Get Shown The Light numbered release. Rather it will be exact live concert recreations of all four shows by the rock band Fish and will be titled "Get Shown The Flashlight." An anonymous spokesman for Grateful Deaf Merchandising was quoted as saying "Hey we had to make good and this was our best option, the only other being Bobby over dubbing slide guitar solos on every track, and that just wasn't cost effective." Three Anchovies, lead guitar player for Fish, was quoted as saying "Hey we're excited. After all, this is what we do best you know, exact recreations of other people's music!"
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Thanks Dr Shakedown for thinking of me! I would have bought the box if I could have gotten it to move from my cart to 'purchased.' I had one in my cart quite a few times since Thu, but the site did not let me 'run for the roses' and cross the finish line. So I am currently paying the 'stupid tax' for multitasking by taking care of my mother in law while trying to order online instead of taking the 20 mins to make the call Sat night and Sun. I also hate giving personal info to an operator, which is another issue. Anyway, when I called Mon morn at least I was able to order the 5LP issue of Cornell 9and give a lady w/ an Asian accent all of my info, the numbers and letters were fun getting perfected. However, I just realized that they digitized/Normanized betty's tapes before putting Cornell on vinyl. UGH! So doesn't that kind of defeats the purpose, may as well just listen to the $30 Cornell CD that I ordered (out of despair) when I was told the box was sold out. So can an audiophile explain to me why they did NOT just go analogue tape directly to vinyl? Considering canceling my LP order since it really isn't pure analogue anyway. Hmmmm
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

I just wanted to send a shout out to express my compassion to the US population having to deal with a demented administration. That's all. I made an assumption that the majority of the Dead community is not happy right now with your present government. I thought that was clear.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Yessir or madam....The transfer and sound reproduction of the flac24 of July 78 on my system is incredible, and Donna isn't in Heat.... ;-) Ohhhhhhhyeahhhhhayyyyayyyyyyyahhhhhayyyyy! These are outstanding Betty Boards.....
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I guess my mistake was going to bed early thu night when I could have made a drunken call after a great local dead cover band show! By Fri it was shifted to rhino check out and I also ended up w/ 6 accidental copies in my cart that would not go away or be deleted nor could I complete a purchase. Signed out and tried on another computer, same deal. I got frustrated and popped in July 78 and had a guiness and said to myself, I said 'self' .. it won't sell out b/c no one can get through! Boy was I ever wrong. Like that Bobby joke about the short, squat, fat ugly lookin' yeller dog.... the joke was long and meandering and the punch line was a doozy!!!! left me w/ nothin' but an painted tail-less alligator.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html