• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

What's become of the baby?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...fuck yea...
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I listen a lot of this serie and I highly recommand The Legion of Mary, and the Lion's share.I were very disappointed by vol 7 wich I found very low.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

I wonder if Trump had to settle for the ALL MUSIC EDITION!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I was the 1st one to comment on this thread. I sort of feeling like St. Stephen right now.3/2/69: Dark Star> St Stephen> The Eleven> Lovelight. Disc 8 of Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings. Is it early May yet?
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey there cbgd, buried in the midst of the Great Debate, I saw your question about the July 78 Box. My answer is an unequivocal YES. I love everything about that box. The packaging itself is gorgeous, CD's are well protected in nice sleeve (unlike the original May 77 Box sleeves which have some issues). The box is the "DVD" size, which I like - fits nicely next to May 77 and others. Artwork is primo. The sound quality is world shattering. All five shows sound perfect. Phil's bass in particular is crystal clear and loud. Take the Arrowhead show for example, Phil sounds like Cliff Burton at times in this show, spitting out thumping metal riffs and shaking the confines of Arrowhead. The 7/1 Arrowhead show was the big revelation of the box - I've listened to that 2-disc wonder more than any other show over the last year. And then there's the Red Rocks shows on 7/7 and 7/8. Yeah, I'd heard them, but never been as impressed as most people, until I heard the Normanized versions. Red Rocks 7/8 is not overrated. So yes, it's more than worth it, and I can't believe it's not sold out yet.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

As with any conspiracy theory (as opposed to actual history), there is no evidence that Rhino engaged in deliberate deception. It might feel like it to some, it might be "fishy" in some way, but there is no evidence. What does happen, when people cast aspersions about conspiracy, is that actual, honest, individuals who are doing their best are being accused of being liars. Not some faceless "company" - but human beings. You are saying, "You, Mark Pinkus, you Dave, you etc., you are a liar." It's just mean. The evidence I DO see points to an honest mistake in estimating the number of boxes. They released a bunch of Veneta limited editions I remember being in a panic that it would sell out in days, but got my order in, phew! And now it's still available. Same with the July 78 Box - I mean, Red Rocks is almost as vaunted as Cornell. And that one hasn't sold out yet. So, if I'm in the shoes of the folks at Rhino and the GD, trying to figure this out, I absolutely can understand their reasons for thinking this would sell out in weeks, not three days. But do I know what was in their heads? No. Therefore, unless I see evidence to the contrary, I can believe what I want, but it's pretty cold to accuse the individual human beings who worked on this project - people with families, people for whom this is their daily job, their life, of being deceptive liars.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

I'm just going to put this out there, I think the celtics should trade Kelly Olynyk and a pick for Andre Drummond
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

You're just plain wrong. If Rhino were making 2x as much as they are now, they would be releasing a lot more music annually. The amount of music they release annually is directly correlated to the amount of revenue they produce annually. That is called supply and demand. If nobody was allowed to buy more than one copy of everything, Rhino's annual net profit would be reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. So follow the logic and follow the history of Rhino's marketing of the vault. The resellers DO factor in to the revenue that determines the release schedule. If Rhino could sell 16,500 a month, rather than quarterly, they sure as heck would. Because they want to sell as many as they can while the demand is still here. No, they're not scalpers. Not even close. Whatever "Dead Protocol" you think is being broken is something that exists only in your obtuse mind.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Florida Gym 11/80? Awesome show. Was in front; sets saved by bf in student gov't.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I usually stay off the debate team, but I can't help but say Claney makes a very valid point; one person even suggested that the system crash was "part of the plan". All I can say about that is: yeah ..... what about Gainesville?!?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

On February 21, 2017 - 10:15pm bolo24 asks: One question yet unanswered... What about Gainesville?? Is this show, 11/29/80 University of Florida at Gainesville's Alligator Alley Gym, in the vault? I don't know that type of information. But I like the show! Time for me to air it out, give it some playing time today.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

....Gainesville has a rich and storied past, but around these parts the question was first asked back when Dave's 8 came out. Since that time it has become a reminder of more important and enduring questions when the discussion gets bogged down with the trappings of commerce and angst. As for the tapes, word is that is was not in the vault but at one point some sbd selections turned up on 30 days of dead (or was it the tapers section?) and I, for one, have been hopeful ever since. If it does indeed come out it really ought to be matrixed like Daves 8 because that aud tape has a lot going for it!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Totally agree - I couldn't get into the site the other day. Now when I can, the limited edition is sold out. However an inferior version is available for the same price. If it's not limited then I am not rushing into buying this now ...
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

did not know what this meant so I looked it up "an overly happy/friendly person. Thank you danc, you are right, I am overly happy. Happy that I did not buy into deadnets ripoff advertising. On a separate note, Happy Birthday Vinnie, one day late but still, Happy Birthday. Now, you want to read a very sad story, read about what the surviving members did to Vince, and why he took his own life. I had the good fortune to meet Vince when he was with the Tubes and this guy was nothing but smiles and good vibes, a perfect fit with the band and a great human being. Too bad being the "new guy" in the Grateful Dead meant being the brunt of all their jokes and pranks. Then being left out from the Grateful Dead Family reunion at Alpine was the final straw. RIP Vinnie, you were loved.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Given that it is widely acknowledged among those in the know that Cornell never happened, I would have thought that ATMEGATE would be the least of the worries of those inclined to feel cheated.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

This release is going to be very welcomed. There are some opinions that are conspiracy inspired and quite negative all of which is laughable. These ridiculous notions about "money grab" and its not the "70's with Jerry still alive" and all that nonsense reminds me of the same attitudes of those people that wanted the concerts to be free and would gate crash thus ruining the scene. The Grateful Dead and putting out some great shows and this process of purchasing is a choice so why get so bent out of shape about it? If you get confused listen to the music play.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

thats whats on the onkyo over here this morning. I like Garcia Live 6 A LOT and 4 a little less, my two cents.... looking forward to 8 the new one. As far as looking forward to this new collection, OH yes. 4 new shows of historic vibe, Im in fo sure. Happiness in Listening to ALL you heads, every single one.............. Loo..... we gone
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I appreciate Bolo asking "What about Gainesville?" But you really need to raise a practical question at this point. Are we going to do Stonehenge tomorrow?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Thanks for the follow up! I knew I shouldn't have asked bc I damn well knew what the answer was going to be! Now I have to scrounge up more $$$!
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I don't think there was anything nefarious by GDP/Rhino with the roll out. Once again the system in place could not handle the onslaught. I think Dave and the other deadheads in the organization were pushing for a larger number to be released but the business people and accountants said no, no, no - each of the last similarly sized boxsets (S90, S90TOO, May 77, July 78) did not sell out immediately. Potentially forecasting out double the inventory of the other runs for May77 GSTL probably got nixed as a business decision. But Dave knew what the demand was and probably came up with Plan B, the All Music Edition. Dave probably queued up production so that the cd printing run would probably run after the announcement and that queue could easily be increased. The only hangup I could potentially see is committing to a specific number of books to an outside organization that's included in the original offering. I give Kudos to them for making additional product available. Also, I would not be surprised if more of the first run editions become available closer to the release date as our credit cards are billed and people notice in the haste to purchase one during that initial chaos they bought several more. As these adjustments occur that sold out banner may disappear. I am so stoked for this release. New Haven Set 2 was my most played tape from my limited tape collection. When I heard the soundboards from the other shows (Boston, Cornell, Buffalo) I was blown away. This release is so awesome we should be thankful and joyous that it was able to happen!!! Peace!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I gave a listen to the Spring TOO first show from MD on my 1991 Onkyo receiver as well a few days back. Very enjoyable. I do not often pull out shows from those 90 boxes because I have so much else to get to. It took me 18 months to finally get through 30 Trips box. I kept revisiting the 1967 show & a couple others but finally made it through. Also got seduced by the somewhat underrated DaP 18 over and over. I got my GTSL order in with no problems last Thursday. I just knew that 15k would go quickly, I really do not get how Rhino did not know. They must have planned this all along & I guess they really are trying to keep an artificial value to all these limited sets. Seems to be working as they have me completely hooked. Though I like being able to respond to my wife & say that I do go overboard with all these purchases that are scattered throughout the basement, but they happen to be something of value and worth. I know it's really all about the music but I like having all the ephemera associated with these GD releases. If I was forced to buy the GTSL All Music Edition like I had to with E72, I would not be happy about that. I guess they basically should have had a higher run as it is somewhat unfair to spend the same amount on 4 shows without a cool box, book, etc
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

3 24 73 is a monster show listening in car as i type this anybodyelses opinion on this.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Has anyone else who's ordered the limited edition, and gotten a confirmation email,seen their funds returned? I used the order number to check in the order status but it's not there.Thank you
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I wouldn't worry, I had a similar concern but I called customer support, gave my order number and it is listed in their system.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

I remember when E72 came out and sold out within I do believe in 48 hrs the same "do too" came out and the E72AM was the exact price as the steamer. The adding the All Music edition of it did not screw with the resale of the trunk and more than likely the Download edition of these boxes Sp90Too as an example has had and will have a very little effect on the resale of any of these annual boxes. FW69, Spring 90, 30 Trips, and the E72Trunk (especially if it's the personalized trunk) are all special and will keep thier value. I am one of the people that has purchased everything I can get my hands on for the sound, the music, the quality, but also as an investment. I rip CDR's of all of them, slim case all the original discs, and put the annual boxsets back in their box. I do this because 1. to save and keep everything mint. 2. In case something happens. GD Music is a lot like buying a vintage car; if something happens you have resale value. I have no problem with this. A lot of us have paid a lot of coinage to complete certain collections. I know I have, Dave's 1-4wbonus was completely worth it in my opinion because of the music and the joy of looking at a complete run. As for the eBay hate. As a re-seller I don't see it. People pay for what that person think it's worth. I buy a lot of lots on eBay to further my collection. I resale what don't need at whatever the PowerSellers and market think it's worth and take the best offer. To bring this rant full circle. Shortly after I paid for my E72 Steamer that was stamped "FOREVER TRIPPIN" I had a accident. It was a unexpected bill I couldn't pay that came a day before my steamer shipped. By then the All Music edition had been announced. This made it easier for me to do and I sold it for what I felt was reasonable even though at the time was 200$ light of the market value. I'm forever grateful of being given the chance to straighten things out and being able to buy the ALL MUSIC edition. Let Keithfan give you his synopsis. I didn't care about a Steamer; I cared because I got a 2nd Chance to actually own the music only after testing eBay for another Steamer Trunk(I wanted a original stamp like the one I had. Sorry "Ice Cream Kid" wasn't worth it." THE ALL MUSIC EDITION WAS WORTH THE SAME MONEY I PAID FOR MY STEAMER. That's the bottom line on this. We now know that 100 shows returned. Even as NOOB I know this is special. How long have we been complaining to get these back and now we get it; there's no need to be mean. Let's be Grateful. Let's understand every year we buy a piece of gold that gives us so much more. So, let's leave Capitalism out of it and focus on what these 100 shows are. Sorry if I'm being an ass. It is not my intention. Just don't understand the new intention. Keep up the crazy banter and be well. Dave
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

YES YES YES!!! I would love a re-release. It doesn't have to be special. I missed this and Dave's 1-4w/bonus so I started a "Cuss Jar." I might be a Lost Sailor but Dave's Pick Series is complete now. Working towards FW69 Box. Help me buy more is what I think GDM. 500+ trimmed down opens my next quest of Dick's or the sold out early runs of the Pure Jerry series. I think if they make FW69 like The Warlocks or the WinterLand boxes I'm so cool with it regardless of numbers.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Typically after receiving my confirmation the Funds show up for 72 hours to make sure I have the funds to cover it then it disappears. I forget what Boxset it was but I had to call them to change the expiration date on the card I used because I was afraid when they submitted payment the expiration date might have screwed everything out.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

1980-11-29 - Alligator Alley Gym, U of Florida - Gainesville, FL - This is up on the archive and the sound ain't too bad. As usual better than almost every tape I ever had. David Duryea quote about stupid people being so sure. I have found in my old age, the surer I am the wronger I turn out to be :-) Limited edition - funny thing about collections. I have two friends that collect and restores cars, one is a Caddy man, the other a Corvette man. Both have the same stories. They have boxes and boxes of "parts", rare things worth money. But both have seen fellow collectors of theirs die and two days later the wife if throwing everything in the dumpster. My Caddy buddy said a friend of his died, the wife sold the cars (cheap) and threw out all the parts, said she was happy to finally have her garage back. I tell my kid about all my "valuable" albums and not to just give them away but to check ebay first for prices. But I can see my wife donating all of it to the library just to get the space back :-) My hard drive I worry more about. I have over 20 years of work in my digital collection and fear my kid will not keep it backed up and in order and eventually it will be lost. Dead sales and website - I always think when "we" (deadheads) all rush to the site at the same time it crashes because they just don't have enough lines coming in. You can't pay for 10,000 lines 24/365 when you only need 10,000 lines 12/12. I said it before and will say again. Seems like dead.net could hook up with Amazon and let Amazon handle all the selling and shipping. Also I don't think anything they've released has been overpriced. I too like the "limited" edition stuff, even if it turns out to be not so limited. I like the boxes and the trinkets. I really don't read the books (I scan thru them), but I like the shit. When I see they are only releasing 16,000 of something I assume they know what will sell. Sometimes that number is too many, other times not enough. Like Mick says "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get what you need" Final note - If you've never seen or have seen, but it's been a while. Watch "Inherit the Wind" with Spencer Tracy. Caught it again (for the billionth time)the other night. What an ageless movie. Play written in 1955 about a 1920 court case rings true to this day and show how little has changed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

I missed the boat on the 15K numbered bells and whistles and books version. Why is the all music addition the same price? Shouldn't it be less
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I believe somebody had a good answer for this. If you offered the music only edition for say 100 bucks, people who bought the 140 box might feel slighted that they didn't have a chance at the 100 bucks. I'm 100% sure there are people out there who jumped on the limited edition set because they wanted the music and could care less about "the stuff". Come out with the cheaper set and they will be annoyed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Great Post Dennis. I completely agree. Wish my argument was this clean.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I think Mr. Wilmont was dead-on with his answer. I do think GDM did something "wrong" by bringing out this AME the without indicating they would when putting the initial Box Set on sale. I also think this "wrong" corrects the greater "wrong" of under-producing the initial release, so I am support their decision. However, if the AME was lesser-priced that would probably piss me off. Yes, it has less content, but a reduced price would effectively penalize and alienate the Box Set purchasers who just wanted the music but thought they HAD to pay for the bells and whistles. The AME release extends the offer of this great music to many more ears. The retention of the full-Box price keeps the peace with "The Faithful". These sets are a bit higher priced than previous Box releases when broken down to a per-disc rate (about $13/disc where previous boxes where in the $8-10/disc range). I suspect/HOPE that part of the price of these sets is money for Betty. Most of us are familiar with the story of her personally perservering in making these recordings without the band's active interest and the story of her post-Dead financial problems. It would be very nice if our enjoyment of her work directly improved her financial situation in this late part of her life.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

Relative "newbie" here with a question. Do we think the idea is that it's a returned Betty Board, or would it be too late? I don't know the exact details, but I've seen a few articles that put the last known Betty Board in October 1980. That said, she would have still been with the band by 1981, though, I think (I recall reading somewhere that she worked with Brent on his failed 1982 or 1983 solo album before they broke up and that they broke up before she left the band).
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Right on, I hope Betty sees some of this money. In the history of the dead, that is not one of their finest moments.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

I love your post but this is the same as E72. It came out of nowhere but helped a lot of people work towards completion. I want the same justice done to 69FW.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I just ordered my box yesterday , hence there was only the AME-edition left. Though i am a deeply devoted Head life forces me to work hard - therefore it took me a couple of days before i manages to find the time to order - and what do i read ? there are people who order up to 20 boxes just to make profit of them via ebay - shame on them.. DEAD IS FOR MUSIC NOT FOR PROFIT - at least for us here in Austria. We are just a few Heads , we love all those new stuff , those fine boxes coming across the pond - and now it`s just the AME-edition - that is simply unfair.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Fluffua: Way down this thread there is a post from Mr. Jack Straw that contains the original limited edition statement from the Fillmore West 69 Box release. GDM made a statement that didn't really leave them wiggle-room to go around. They have never made such a strong one-time-only statement again, so they seem to have regrets over the FW69 statement. As do we all, except the merciless profiteers.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Is this the box set 2/27, 2/28, 3/1, 3/2 and bonus disk? I've seen several say they like to see it redone to full norman quality. If this is the box set we're talking about? Mine sounds pretty damn good. I think I'd rather see unreleased stuff before a redo of already released stuff.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

i read somewhere that Norman wished he had access to the plangent process back when he did the FW69, that he could have made it sound even better. so i think people are hoping one day the reissue it with the plangent. i don't think it will happen, either. they just painted themselves into a corner on that release....
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

A quick look at the list - those February 71 Port Chester shows were make a nice box set, one is already released. I have not checked, nor am I versed enough in shows, but, my copy of the Feb 71 shows sound pretty damn good. I'd like someone with more knowledge to pick shows that there aren't good copies available of to master and release. Better to replace a shit copy I have with better copies, versus replacing good copies with a little better copies. The July 78 set had two shows that were much better than the copies I had. I buy the "official" releases regardless of what I have on tap, but sometimes I find my "Miller" copy is damn near as good as the "official" one. Certainly if I didn't have money to piss away, I stick with the free copy I got.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

That list by Relix of known Betty Boards continues to baffle me, because it's so incomplete. An obvious example, Betty pretty much recorded every show from 1977 (with a couple exceptions) and maybe there's a dozen 1977 shows on the Relix list. So, I'm not sure what that list represents, besides a handful of shows Betty recorded. But the list is far from penultimate- And I know that's the wrong use of that word, I just felt like writing it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

that list is incomplete. Fall 80 indeed Also with FW 1969 set, pretty sure this was before Rhino took over i am sure they want to work out the legalities and re-release, but legal road blocks are probably not worth them going down this road. Money money money money money hey Rhinos, release some 1966 April 1982 April and 1984 April you know what I am looking for .
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

I can agree with that. I just really want a cheaper way to this set. Don't get me wrong it's well worth the added price. New technology would be worth a 100$ non marked box. Just saying but I'd take the original recording all music wise. I'd call it a PigPen Premium.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

HEEL YEAH DENNIS I WANT 71!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

Thanks for the response. I'd seen that same list around as the "returned" material, but I was confused because 1) the article just says "here is a list of known Grateful Dead Betty Boards" not "here's what got returned" and 2) a lot of this stuff was released years ago as complete shows (5-4-72, Veneta, 6-14-76) or last year (red rocks 78).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Thanks Seth and thanks to all The Other Posters on here. I love learning something new everyday. As long as it's a physical copy I'm playing ball on FW69.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html