• 7,706 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Hit it over the weekend in the car 1st Show. The Scarlet was always a little funky when I first listened to it, but it has definitely grown on me over the years. I think the Half Steps in 77 and into spring 78 were fabulous. Just rocking versions that you didn't want to end.

Would have been a fun show to be at. Love the banter.

• 1stshow70878

Going to start DaP 12 & 25 today, maybe a soundtrack for The Players golf tourny, lol.
    Never had any K2s but I loved my Dynastars, almost sister company to Rossi. Tried the 2004-07 K2s, loved the Recon, hated the Crossfire. Best ski in '04 was a Rossi Z-5 for me. Carved like a dream, all you had to do was think about turning and they did. I used to find, tune and try lots of vintage skis in the pre-parabolic era and those K2 fours from 1970-72 were awful. I don't know how we ever got better, lol.
    Cheers

• bluecrow

An iconic ski for sure. Some interesting photos of retro K2 assemblages/arrays to be seen with an easy search. Not that I skied all that much but I plunked down hard earned money for a pair of long/narrow/stiff Rossis - man, skis back in the day were such a different concept from nowadays and not in a good way for most of us. The Steamboat family history came up because another brother was going to join long time friends to ski there this weekend. That storm(s) put the kabosh on that - one guy arrived early but everybody else near and far got shut down.

Got distracted from Baltimore '77 yesterday so finishing that up this morning.

• 1stshow70878

Probably still on K2s, lol.
    Those red, white, and blue K2 Fours were the stuff BITD. An incredible racer who defined an era, and a great asset and ambassador for Steamboat.
    Cheers

• bluecrow

music and clean sound - simple pleasures that bring a whole lot of happiness. and who can't use more of that these days? not an "audiophile" by any means but its increasingly important to honor those pleasures and make the occasional strategic purchase.

Cristo Redentor was Mandel's first solo album. He had played on Charlie Musselwhite's first album and Musselwhite plays harp on one or two tunes. Only came across it a few years ago. CD I've got is a reissue by Raven that also includes a selection of bonus tracks from a large slice of his career. Title track is pure dreamy late night gorgeous summer of youth - hauntingly beautiful. What I didn't know until now is that Musselwhite covered the tune on his first album and it was signature song he played. just listening to it now, with Mandel playing the guitar line. And its gorgeous (of course).

On a snowy Colorado note a brother reminded me today of when us kids (4 of the 5), along with a couple of brothers from another family (that we've totally lost track of), got to meet Billy Kidd at Steamboat ca. 1972. Billy graciously met with us little squirts (plus the Dads) and signed some swag for us - all gone now - lol. Fortunately still have a handful of faded photographs that our Mom had in an album. A real blast from the past. Looking online - Kidd is still there at Steamboat over 50 years later - very cool to see.

• 1stshow70878

New audio equipment is the best.
    Saw your post on "listening to" and you stumped me again. I thought has that not funny OCD Canadian comedian from AGT released an album? Oops not Howie, but Harvey Mandel lol. From John Mayall, Canned Heat and auditioned for the Stones. Not bad creds!
    Cheers

• bluecrow

Got a big bee day coming up fast and treated myself to new headphones - Sennheiser HD 650. Most of my close listening at home is on headphones. Still in the break-in period but boy-oh-boy they sound awesome to my old ears and both the build and fit are a noticeable step up from my old Senns. And they were seriously on sale. Right now on DaP 41 Baltimore 5/26/77. Beautiful day here after some solid cold rain (no snow at our elevation) over last couple days. We really needed that moisture. I know the mountain dwellers among us are snow fatigued but there sure will be some happy trees and mushrooms in the high country this season.

Onward!!

• TN John

I started the day with DaP 33 10/29/77.
    Now, I switched to Phil's 50th birthday show.
    Cap Centre 3/15/90
    That Spring '90 tour was so much fun!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Interesting you should mention 11-6-77 DV. While listening to DiP 34 yesterday I had planned to go to the neighboring shows on DaP 12 & 25 soon.
    That filler on DiP34 from 11-2 Seneca was jarring at first when it popped up with Might As Well since the sound is so different. So I played all that last to keep the continuity. Good stuff!
    Oro, you dug out yet? Too many storms in a row for old bodies.
    Cheers

• DeadVikes

Love it Jim! I want it. My money is ready.

Yes, 1st show, totally agree 28-36 are great. Hard to believe at the time they didn't sell well so they decided to close up shop. Always makes me nervous when the Dave's don't sell out.

Listened to the whole release today and it is a good show with the Toronto filler. Always interesting to me how much more I like 11/6. Not that the other shows are bad they are not, just not as good as 11/6. Of course just my opinion. Too bad they didn't have any more shows after 11/6 until late December, they were smoking hot.

Hope you dig out of the snow out there in CO. Hard to believe I am playing golf in MN tomorrow afternoon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hopefully we will all have our boxes by the end of this week or sooner.

As we continue to wait, how does 7/21/72 sound to you all? This was download series #10.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I recently checked that show out and it snuck up on me how good it was! I think I actually went back and spun it a couple more times on account of that. A definite sleeper pick in my opinion.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

It seems to be showing up most places sorta on time, and trust me, it’s worth the wait.
Oh, and GO VIKES!
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to prep for a date with a garden hose mañana...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I never got the Download Series releases, which based on this show, I should remedy soon! Whew! Great stuff! The Playin' is particularly strong, though everything I heard (almost all of set 1) is stellar.

I believe that big online box-store has all of the DL series to stream for "free" if you pay for their Primeum service... at least that is how I was listening to it, though I see now that there is a Charlie Miller on the Archive - it is just not the source that pops up simply by searching the date. Anyway, great pick! I plan on enjoying set two when I get home this evening.

Tracking tells me I should have a box arriving tomorrow by 7. Fingers crossed! I am really looking forward to this :)

Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Are they working again?

Ha.. holy hell, my label just got created for this most excellent box set. No delivery time mentioned. Dead.net why do you mock me so...

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Well, I think I sent one. I guess we will see.

Glad you got a label created email Jim.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I've waiting this long, what's another couple weeks... :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Bonus disc...
Well the bastids didn’t kill me this time.
Man that propofol is good sheet man!
I asked the gas passer if I could get some to go and he laughed.
So since I was still enjoying the ride when I got home I figured that awesome 12/6/73 Dark Star was in order!

I might try and start in on round 2 of the box shows with stuff from that list for extra credit...

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Appear to be working Jim. I sent one yesterday and received one back today.

Oroborous, are you thinking the bonus disc for RT4. 3?

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Check your PM.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

You're right about that.. I had a procedure done this spring and woke up feeling (excuse the cliché) groovy. Whatever they used to use decades ago had all kinds of not so pleasant side effects (sodium pentothal?).

So did the anesthesia upgrade get phased in at about the same time as crisp digital soundboards began to replace our sometimes hissy and/or audience tapes?

Cool. PM's are working again.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

This release, I agree with others is fantastic. I remember the first time I heard it I was thinking if someone put this show on and you didn't know when it was from, you might have a hard time coming up with July 72. The playing is top notch and the sound quality is A+. Great versions of Sugaree, BTW, China-Rider, Stella Blue. Second set brings it home, the Other One stands out. The bonus tracks from 7/22/72 are also worth a listen.

Okay, moving on to 73 bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Saw the last Phil show of the three night run at Port Chester last night.
Mofos can still bring it!
My suggestion for POTD (if yer not suffering from new box coma lol) is to stream it on Fans, it’s worth the 20 bucks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Sodium pentathol lol, isn’t that what they use on death row?
What the hell kinda medicine do they practice in those woods ; )

But seriously I’ve known folks who have an awful time with anesthesia, fortunately, I haven’t met a drug yet that I didn’t like lol.

Hey, did you get yer box yet?

Congrats to DV, I see you got yers,, enjoy amigo, we’ll see ya on the other side!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Moonshine works.. Bite on the branch of a beech tree if they have to set a bone.

What ever they were using 30+ years ago was the brown acid cousin of the stuff they put you under with today. Now that we've got that settled.... it's got a Cumberland.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey Oroborous, yes, it showed up yesterday. Decided to go with the first 72 show today. Spectacular! Man, we continue to be a lucky bunch they recorded all these shows. Unreal.

Still up for picks if you guys are?

Must have been fun to see Phil out there in CO. Lucky guy.

And we get a Dave's Picks #40 announcement tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Will Dave give us two 80 releases in a row like last year? Hard to know. I think we have a chance for 1980.
I do think we will see 10/2/77 released for Dave's Picks #41.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

So I will take advantage of some down time and revisit some of the shows tossed out here the last couple weeks that I missed...

You can never tell…
Didn’t see that coming lol,
Technically a 90s, but really another 80s.
Bet that’ll whip up some whining! Lol

JIM, Sorry, hopefully I didn’t sound critical, I thought you were being humorous and trying to put one past us!
Music maybe the best as Mr Ones would say, but laughter needs to be right up there with it!!
PS, it’ll be worth the wait, I think you especially are gonna love the Box.

DV: I’m still gorging on Fox. Working fuel for building a bed. Put our big log bed in guest room so have been sleeping on a “temporary” plywood pallet for almost 3 years…my other half said if I didn’t get this done by thanksgiving I’d be sleeping in the garage!
Well it snowed, and its winter here already, and it’s cold in that garage, so I better get to it, hup, hup!

Gonna jump on the Doc 71 train again next week, but starting back to work so not sure what my listening situation will be. I really need to get a personal set up. Not only to dig more/better dead, but to drown out the construction racket. Man I hate construction jobs. Give me a nice big empty mansion with some whole house audio system any day!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Snow already out there! It didn't make out to us yet, which is okay. You don't want to end up in the garage.
Been super busy the last couple of days with work and family, hoping to continue to listen to the new box. Loving it.
Surprised Dave's 40 hasn't sold out yet. What a great way to end October.
So, what are the two other big things that are going to happen in 2021??
I hope it wasn't the garden club stuff.

Stay well out there.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

the only time I ever had triple vision. I see why they call it "truth serum" I had no problem telling everyone and anyone what I thought about anything, including them, unfortunately, being a sodium pentothal a hole only brought the cops who did not act kindly when I told them what I though about them... but that's another story.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The 2 things remaining for 2021 are:
1) 2022 subscription
2) 30 Days of Dead

Unless Dave surprises us with a stealth release. Which would be awesome.

I didn’t see any GD on the Black Friday RSD release list. But there is still enough time to add something.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Need a change of peace before I go back to the new box.

Billy the Kid mentioned this show that he was at and it sounded like one we should check out. 10/20/78. This one is for you Billy. Must have been a blast.

Conekid, I think Dave said in addition to the Dave's Picks? But who knows, I think we are done with any other music release this year after we get Dave's #40, which I am excited about.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

don't forget 31 days of december and the last 2 45's are coming in November

and like the DaP glasses I have all the 45's!!!!

The 45's make a great bragging point when I go to the local biker bar. Some guy will rave about his 52 pan head, or I got a 64 knuckle head. I always come back with, yeah, but I got all of the grateful dead's 45's,,,, so there!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

Missed the last two glasses. Oh well..

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

The bikers respond, “you don’t have a turntable”.

I also didn’t have a turntable.
But then 2-27-69 came out on vinyl and I was able to get a copy. So then I had to get a turntable.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

This is a fantastic show. Five dancing bears! Definitely worth a listen for those that have not heard it. Two song encore. I won't ruin it for you, but I can't remember too many shows that ended like this one. The Dead always maintained the mantra of not being a greatest hits band, that is for sure.

Billy the Kid, great time to be at these shows!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Starting the second set of 12/10/71 now. Incredible music on these CDs... can't wait for the rest.

I will hit 10/20/78 when I come up for air.

First world problems, I know.. too much great music to occupy my time. Thanks for keeping it all going you guys (and gals???). It's been a really weird week here.. call it spooktober, I don't know.. but the planets seem slightly misaligned and life is tossing curveballs. Such is life, at least we've got this newly delivered sonic nectar from the gods.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

.... just when I thought that was it for the end of the year,,,,, the Garcia album drops!!

BTW - when the biker mentioned the lack of a turntable, I cut em three ways, wide, deep and repeatedly. (old richard pryor line!)

I have been keeping up on the really good LP's.. but no space to set up my turntable.

Perhaps this thread will pick up again after we get our first listen in for #40. We are busy preparing and digesting the harvest.. and what a harvest it is.

I might need to order Light Into Ashes.
That sequence sounds so awesome on CD.
But, the thought of it being broken up into 4 album sides has made me a little hesitant.

Got my DaP 40 shipping notice today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...just for the sound! So much smoother and more powerful, especially the bass. There seems to be better staging, a more open sound too. If I had a super high quality CD player it might be different, but I always prefer the sound of good vinyl. Crappy vinyl, I'm probably better off with a CD as I have proven to myself replacing some old chestnuts with new CDs. But to your point the disruptions between album side flips is annoying and there is even a start-over on one flip of a couple of minutes of material. That one felt weird for sure. I should have gotten the 5 LP whole show on vinyl is my current regret. Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Vinyl ordered.

Wonder how long it will take to arrive.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I'm very glad I got it. I haven't compared the sound to that on the cd, but it sounds exceptional to me. I like the fact that the jam has been seperated off, and been presented in this way. The whole show is great- but the sections on this L.P. collection are unique in their own right. Pity it's nor available to Joe Public.

I haven't bought the vinyl 12/10/71, though. The sound of those cds exceed my expectations, and I can't honestly see how the vinyl could improve on it. Maybe if it drops substantially in price I will get it. Or if I happen to log on in the early hours of the morning when rational thought has gone to sleep for a while.

Have been concentrating on keeping my place on the Doc 71 train.
I’m a bit burnt on the dead right now, at least early 70s.
Been listening to a lot of jazz to mix it up.
Looking forward to 40 for something completely different.
Soon I’ll check out some of those picks that Bluecrow and others suggested…

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Maybe someone should set up a Deadheads Anonymous Group for people who have become addicted ! He thought he could handle it...
Just fooling - no disrespect to A.A., N.A or any of the other 12 step programmes out there.

Looking at RT 4. 4 for tomorrow. 4/6/82 and portions of 4/5/82. I see Glasser mastered this one. Time to get back at it.
Oroborous, were you at this one?

I always liked this show.. had part of it on tape and was happy to replace it when the Road Trips was released.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Had 82 on the brain for some reason?
Nope DV, missed it by that much…saw the 8th and 9th.
Definitely do that up first chance I get!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have not listened to this release in maybe 4 years. Sound quality is fantastic. Great show and great bonus material. There are several great shows and parts of shows released through this series. Need to polk around in 82 a little more. I know we hit up Jim's show in Maryland with that crazy raven space that scared my family including the dog.

Doesn't look like #40 will be here this weekend.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

10/27 presents a lot of choices for shows from this day, but I'm feeling 10/27/91 in light of the fact I have to visit Bill Graham Civic Auditorium today. It's a different sound from '82 but the show contains a great setlist, greater guests, even better playing. Hope this show doesn't disappoint :)

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JoshByTheBay

Hey Josh, thanks for the pick. I am going to check this out.

Jim, the Baltimore 77 show is getting released. Congrats. Didn't we hit this one up here recently?

More 77!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

For 10/27, I think I like the Miller. This one seems to have Hornsby in, right?

I think we hit Baltimore '77 early in the process.. it might have been me that suggested it. Not normally a hungry for more '77 but I always respected this show. It's funny.. I had put it in the same mental box as the Richmond show that become Dave's Picks vol. 1 and Dave must have looked at these two closely together also. They have the same vibe and same great sound quality. The recordings are absolutely pristine, top pocket finds.

Anyway.. it's a good show, a great recording and it was destined to be a Dave's Picks, and so now it is.

Good pick on 4/6/82. I caught the highlights but couldn't digest the whole thing. I love the energy of the short but dense TOO > a wonderful '82 Morning Dew. For me, that's the meat of this show and Jerry still had that delicate voice in '82.. it had not gotten course and haggard yet. Onward.

Just finished this show up this morning. Thanks for the pick Josh. Nice sounding recording. Standouts for me were the Iko Iko, the Mona was interesting. You can really here Santana in those two songs. Nice Althea and China Rider. Bill Graham to die in the crash at 60, too young.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

now who’s behind lol.
Work situation has ment no tunes, well, there’s plenty of Mexican accordion music on site lol.

Well, at least caught 10/27/91 back when I was on a tear. Good show! Enjoyed that whole run. Would love to see 10/31 out someday. Think ole Conekid suggested these.

I did manage10/26/71 and into 10/27/71 today trying to catch up to the Doc train.
Haven’t hit 4.4 YET, but will soon!
Haven’t had that one very long and thus only a few listens. Feel like some 82 is needed!
Keep the mother rolling DV and company!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

We all do what we can. I am taking a small palate diversion by catching some Phil at the Capitol at home on my couch. Which isn't helping me catch up.. I am hitting the highlights though, Great Althea from 10/91 and an interesting second set.

What a weird world we live in..
It's raining so much here I thought it wise to build an ark. Speaking of Ark.. have we hit any of these here recently?

Ark Ark.

Nicki Bluhm is belting out Easy Wind as I write this. It's a hard life.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thinking of keeping going on the 82 train. No Dave's #40 for me yet.

5/23/82 the last night at the Greek Theatre. Let me know what you all are thinking.

Stay well.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Steve Miller 8-3-77, good show and good sound.
Get it if you’re a Steve Miller fan.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm in. Both Millers are good.. the sbd and the Dr. Bob audience. I am going with the Soundboard but the Seamons matrix is appealing.

A Shakedown opener, a fast Eyes and a long second set. A nice 1982.