• 7,816 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Really strong show. I always really liked Hey Pockey Way. Last Esau?
Almost 20 years ago they released a portion of this show as bonus material from VFTV 3.
Why not put out the full show, it smokes.
Yes, Maggie's Farm into Cumberland!

I am with you Oroborous, let's get some more releases out. We aren't going to live forever.

Billy, another stellar show for you to be at. I would have loved to see them at Shoreline, kick it back and watch the Dead.
How many shows did you see?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

BTK stories almost always make me giddy. Man.. to be able to set the wayback and see a portion of these. So many shows, so little time.

I always wonder if I miss a song out if I am missing one of the versions when that song really comes alive. I have just played 2/27/69, and felt tempted to skip Lovelight - but it's only about 17 minutes long so I gave it a whirl. Power house drums and, in the first 10 minutes or so- smoking guitar.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Yea, it's not always a skip. Even some of the tunes that fall into the run on sentence category, some of the early Good Lovin's for example.. I find if I am not in the mood and it's just an average or a going through the motions version, sometimes I do skip but when I am in the mood or if it folds right into the flow and I give it a chance, there is a reward.

For me, it depends a lot on my mood and what I am doing. But I hear ya.. Love those Feb 69 shows though.. wow, so glad they not only hit the record button but brought in the multi-track truck. One of the best decisions they ever made. ff to E72 and hit the redo button. What a joy these old recordings are. Treasures.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Nice, tight little show, cool list, and another notch on the proverbial bedpost!
Might hit Road Trips 2.1 again, that Dark Star, oye!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

As good as it gets in my world. Listening to music, anyway. I probably listen to more shows from 1972 each year than shows from any other year. I'm off the point...I'll leave you to it!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Who has a pick for today?

We haven't heard from Otis, WTJones, Slowdog Noodle, Rockthing, Fourwinds and GOGD in a while on this thread. Hope all is well.

In the meantime I have 5/23/72 going.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was tempted to chime in the other day when y'all were checking out 10-3-87. Looks Like Rain (not always a highly rated tune) is a keeper for me on that show coming out of that sweet Maggie's>Cumberland combo.

, that’s all you had to say bra!
Rolling!
Saw the next three. Big stories from that trip: stinkiest weed ever in the Miami airport, the huge Lincoln towne car, being woken in the wee hours by night crawlers tapping on the Lincoln windows, The Detroit hotel in St Pete’s (Not!), hot naked lil Deadheads taking public showers courtesy of the local St Pete authorities, Our homeboy almost turns permanently blue with his three tanks of medipure in the back of his van, and the infamous driving the huge Lincoln with a ballon saga. No wonder I don’t recall much about those shows.
Aaaaa, the good ole daze!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

More 1988 please!

How does 9/24/76, Dave's Picks #4, strike you all? It has been a while for me.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

what a gas they were, those St. Pete shows will always be some of my best experiences at dead shows. Shrooms and doses everywhere and that weed was stinky. I remember wandering around the lot which was huge and spread out all over the downtown area elevated about 4 ft above everyone else having done the last shrooms from the summer that afternoon. Great day and what a nite, Bobby's birthday, sweet little deadheads everywhere and one shows up at my hotel room after the show spaced out and lonely.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for the shout out. I'm still lurking. My laptop died and I need to get a new one to get the last year's worth of releases onto my ipod, so i'm behind the times but i'll be back around soon.

Sorry my hapless lions had to get off the losing streak on the Vikings account.

Happy holidays everyone!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable holidaze,
and a Festivus for the rest of us!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Glad we could help out Slow Dog Noodle. I would say you have three pretty pathetic teams in the North with The Lions, Vikings and Bears.

Happy Holidays all.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Gave me a chuckle.. glad to see when duty called someone stood up to and met the challenge at hand.

I'm back. I guess it's my turn to pick.

I tend to be on the move, and streaming from the archive is not always an option. Sometimes the released stuff is what I have on hand electronically. So how about 06/29/76- Auditorium Theater - Chicago, IL?

Not sure if we have done this before.. but a good show or me to get back into the thick of things.

Edit: Low and behold, this has not yet been released. I said spring 76 but was thinking spring 77. Hope we can do this, it's a good show and there is a distinct possibility we have done this one before, I forget.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Great idea. I am in on this one and I don't think we have listened to this show. Thanks Jim, a little June 76 Chicago to start the day and it is a Betty Board.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....was good.
But then I had to come home and watch the Dolphins create a record. Only team to lose 7 in a row then win 7 in a row in the same season.
I'll take it for sure, but I'm used to disappointment regarding Miami.
One week at a time I guess.
I know this play.
Lucky 7's.
Thinking some '93 for a Tuesday. 3.24.93 Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Because why not?
Go Tarheels. Warts & All.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I listened, too but wasn't able to give it full attention like I wanted to. Some things to note I guess are the rare Jed opener, there are 2 jam sequences in set II and the priceless Jerryism to begin the encore. 'Red and White...' take it away, Jerry... He sings: 'US Blues'!

Hey now, VGuy 7-7 Dolphins why not 7-7-81 or 7-7-89? Or, to give them good luck 8-7-71 or 8-7-82? :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Nice show Jim. Always love a Mission in the Rain, Peggy O. Interesting second set, with that Playing, St. Stephen, Playing.

You got to love winning Vguy, it always beats losing. Two to go.

Okay, so 1993 on tap for today, I will check it out.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

First set wonders. Nice first set though.. fantastic Mission in the Rain and the transitional Peggy-O was unusual. It carried some of the melancholic loneliness forward from the pre-hiatus slower tempo versions, but you can tell Garcia wants to speed it up and give it a more complex accents and emphasis, this one shows signs of that willingness to bring it forward a bit. So the second set awaits and then we move forward 17 years.

Thanks guys..

This was a good show. Full disclosure I haven't listened to many 93 shows. We get a good Wang Dang Doodle and of course HCS. The Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is not my favorite, but they gave it a shot. They seem to have really slowed the tempo down in 1993, it seems to lack that fire in the belly. Anyway, always good to check out different shows.

Okay on to Alpine 82. Edit: Bluecrow, you were at this show, weren't you?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....one of my favorite '93 shows. Glad you liked it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Yes DV, I was there the first time and been back there countless times since. 8/7 was my 6th show. Truly a magic night. A couple of months ago listened to it late night lights out and the whole sound stage opened up - simply amazing. Favorite post-hiatus China>Rider with sublime Jerry picking in the transition. One of those early Brent years long Playings into drumz (sorta like 8/4/79). Space > The Wheel (again a personal favorite) > Playing reprise and then a gorgeous Morning Dew.

Been a long time since I heard 3/24/93. I think some good boards circulated early because Healy let tapers patch in? Cued up the Here Comes Sunshine. Soft spot for that one. Heard my first one and only later at Eugene that summer. Really nice pre-drumz sequence.

Like Jim was saying (I think) I haven't had much time to stream as of late. Mostly spinning discs in the car and from time to time at home.

Was straightening up the collection last week and suddenly it was a Wait?? Wut?? moment when i came across the bonus disc from the first year of Dave's Picks, Landover 7/29/74. Had totally completely forgotten about that. So that's been in the truck on repeat the last couple days.

Be safe everybody. Onward!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I hit this yesterday, I was on a bit of a roll. I got more out of it on this listen than all the others combined. The Music Never Stopped Sugaree Sammy to start the show set the pace. Love the 82 On the Road Again's.. into Althea and Let It Grow. Hot. Which only leads to the Second Set, which was a notch above.

Enjoyed it.. Many thanks.

Edit: oh, and the second set from 6/29/76 Chicago had that fantastic Playing sequence. The jam from the Wheel > PITB Reprise, although not unusual for the period, delivered the goods. Nice TOO Tease and I swear I heard a Supplication theme woven in. Trippy, gooey, jammy goodness.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

How about an anniversary show for today? This second set is off the charts.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Sounds good to me. I am just getting ready to head outside and need a freshie.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

I really like this show. Five dancing bears 🐨.
Not sure I ever have heard a Music Never Stopped/Sugaree/Music Never Stopped sandwich to start a show. Fantastic. Rest of the show is great with good variety. Second set is fun. Agree Jim. China Rider, playing, Morning Dew. I had a substandard copy of this show going back several years. The upgrade sure makes a difference to me at least.
Another great show to be at for Bluecrow! I think you had the Midwest shows surrounded. A lot of changes at Alpine from 82 to their last show there in 89.

Okay, 12/30/78 for today, let's do it PT Barnum.

I would say in honor of Doc we hit up 12/31/71 tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....without looking, I'm thinking #32?
New Years '71 tomorrow for the Doc.
I was also at those '93 Eugene shows as well Bluecrow. They were on fire those shows. Although, Bobby Destroyed His Guitar backstage during Jack Straw, which let Garcia extend his solo (thanks Bob?) My line of sight on the floor caught it in all its crazy madness.
I passed on the 12.30.78 show. Was busy at work. Gotta pay those bills ya know!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today.....

December 31, 1971
Winterland, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Dancin' In The Streets-Mr. Charlie-Brown-Eyed Women-Beat It On Down The Line-You Win Again-Jack Straw-Sugaree-El Paso-Chinatown Shuffle-Tennessee Jed-Mexicali Blues-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Next Time You See Me-Playing In The Band-Loser-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Me And My Uncle>The Other One-jam>Black Peter-Big River-The Same Thing-Ramble On Rose-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Casey Jones

This is deadicated to Scott Wiseman………

Ah, shut the f*ck up for a minute. What happened to the FCC…………..?

For years the Lanum FM was the only commonly circulating copy of this show, until Charlie Miller released his fine FM and SBD remasters in 2018. Both are recommended. And while this may not be a “classic show”, it is, like many Dead New Year’s shows, a “fun show”, and it does have its moments, especially the Dancin’ opener and the fine second set. A great way to end a great year of Grateful Dead music. But was it really the end of 1971………………?

The world in which we were called to exist was an absurd world, and there was no other in which we could take refuge…….

Rock on!!

Doc
That, for me, is the only real legacy: the idea that one has left a lingering trace in people's memories…..

And a fine legacy it is. Thanks Doc.. for providing a years' worth of entertainment, knowledge and enrichment.

Hoping you stick around, but wherever you are and whatever you get yourself into.. happy trails.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thanks Doc, this one is going on today.

Appreciate all the work you put in this year it was a fun ride.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else out there! Hope you all have the best one possible. Here we come 2022.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I enjoyed 12/30/78 last night/this morning. I believe they were playing this on SiriusXM yesterday too.. quite nice of them to check in on our tiny little thread and change their broadcast schedule to accommodate our show of the day by broadcasting it to thousands of listeners nationwide. Makes me feel special.. sort of warm and fuzzy inside. Or is that just the party favors starting to kick in? Either way I will take the win.

12/31/71 it is, and a big tip of the hat to our resident Dr. Dead. Thanks for making 2021 a little better than the shitshow it would have been without 1971 Grateful Dead.

Happy New Year all you fun loving, kind hearted freaks.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today.......

January 2, 1972
Winterland, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Truckin'-Sugaree-Mr. Charlie-Beat it on Down the Line-Loser-Jack Straw-Chinatown Shuffle-Tennessee Jed-El Paso-You Win Again-Big Railroad Blues-Mexicali Blues-Playing in the Band-Next Time You See Me-Brown Eyed Women-Casey Jones

Set 2: Good Lovin'>China Cat Sunflower>Good Lovin'-Ramble On Rose-Sugar Magnolia-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: One More Saturday Night

Deadicated to Charlie Knutson, because was there ever in anyone's life span a point free in time, devoid of memory, a night when choice was any more than the sum of all the choices gone before?

OK, calenderically speaking 1972, but very much “of a kind” with the December 1971 shows.

Let’s clear up a couple of things. First, in the first set, there’s no “Leave Your Love At Home” between Chinatown Shuffle and Tennessee Jed. Second, in the second set, there’s no Know You Rider following China Cat, the band definitely goes back into Good Lovin.

Though not quite as intense as December, it does have a decent dose of Pigpen, and the rare, possibly unique Good Lovin’/China Cat Sunflower/Good Lovin’ sequence. Another rarity----in the first set, two consecutive Garcia songs followed by two consecutive Weir songs. The show is generally well played, but opinions of it seem divided. Many absolutely love it, while others find it lacking because there’s no “big jams”. Decide for yourself, there is a Miller remaster and it definitely worth having…..

Questioning the origin of music is like asking why the breeze is soothing, why you shiver in exhilaration when the spray from the waterfall hits you….

Rock on!!

Doc
Music is my therapy and my straitjacket.......

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo!! Rockers!!!

In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer…..

Dear friends, my work here is done. Mission accomplished. I have carried the torch of 1971 live Dead for a long time, and will continue to do so. But now it will be in the background, lurking, watching, and continuing to listen. In order to understand the world, one has to turn away from it on occasion. It is normal to give away a little of one's life in order not to lose it all. Perhaps a return to normalcy. Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal…..

I made it through the 50th anniversary year relatively unscathed. This really isn’t the best forum for detailed analyses of every show, but every show did get its due. To all, enjoy the wonderful music that the Dead left us that year………….

I’ve tried to acknowledge everybody I encountered during my long strange trip here. If I left you out, sincere apologies and no offense intended….

I will continue to be a resource for all those interested in the music of the Grateful Dead in 1971. Or any other year. Or any other band, because, after all, no one can live on Grateful Dead alone. Believe me, I’ve tried! No limits, no restrictions, no questions asked. I’m just a pm away. Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present. Your successes and happiness are forgiven you only if you generously consent to share them.

There is a life and there is a death, and there are beauty and melancholy between. Thinking is learning all over again how to see, directing one's consciousness, making of every image a privileged place.

I look forward to lurker mode. For anybody who needs or wants some light reading material about 1971 Dead shows, you know where to find me…….

Since the day of my birth, my death began its walk. It is walking toward me, without hurrying…..

Rock on!!!

Doc
This man is freed from servile bands,
Of hope to rise, or fear to fall,
Lord of himself, though not of lands,
And leaving nothing, yet hath all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I thought you were going to grace us with '72, too. Maybe you can chime in a couple now and then. :-)

Happy New Beer! I mean...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

I already tunneled into the vault and cleaned it out. They can have most back for free, but 68-72 is gonna cost them big time...................

KeithFan is responsible for the 72 reviews. Well, at least the Dark Star shows. That was like every other show in 72, yes?

Off to the morgue, gotta work for a living............

Doc

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, this one is for Jim, 9/24/72, Waterbury CT 30 Trips.

Time to crank it up Oroborous!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I was hoping someone tossed something rando into the ether.

I've been selectively hitting Dave's #40, a few songs at a time in between shows for a palate cleanser. That Terrapin, for example, is a powerhouse. In one of my devices lined up next to it are the Giants Box shows. I think I might have a similar strategy going forward the next few weeks.

I had weirdness affect my digital world.. my old laptop is on the fritz, but I had a new one handy to slide into. I have a ton of shows either in wav or shn believe it or not.. so when we start throwing around non-released shows that I had not previously transferred, scrubbed, created metadata for, etc. I have to go through process of getting a lossless version that is exactly perfect. I usually save the best copy in wav, flac and alac. I used to edit metadata, specifically the ID Tag information (show, song, track, year, etc. ) I used to use a feature of DBPowerPowerAmp that let me right click this from File Manager. With Windows 11 this is a no go. It took about a week to stumble on something that it semi-automatable and quick. I am back up and running on the non-released shows now too.

Ahh.. what we have to go through to get practically perfect, lossless copies of our favorite band that slide into our libraries, are easily read and accessible across all our devices and play perfectly exactly when and where we need them. First world problems I realize.

If you get confused listen to the music play. Onward....

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Supposedly you can use VLC (traffic cone video player) to add metadata to audio tracks.
Consult Google for instructions.

I use iTunes to add the info. Then, select all the tracks of a show (in an iTunes playlist) and drag them to a folder (labeled with the date of the show) located on another HD. The folder then becomes a playlist and the info displays on the screen of a music player (doesn’t have to be an Apple product).

I’m not a robot but I still can use metadata.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I've used ITunes before, but it will not work on wav files (or flac I believe). I found some freeware called Mp3tag that seems to work alright. I prefer to tag the source wav files, the metadata seems to stay intact through the conversion process so you only have to do it once. My goal.. at the end of this process is to have the best sounding source of every show that circulates in wav, flac and alac.

Baby steps.. but it's progressing.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Same here Jim.
Except I use AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, AAC-320.
And many HD’s as backups, and backups of backups.

The lossy AAC-320 is because my car stereo will play those files from a USB flash drive. Otherwise, ALAC for portable music players, AIFF for uncompressed storage copy, FLAC for future use on a USB flash drive in my next car (my current car manual says that it won’t play FLAC but I got it to do it a few times but the infotainment system doesn’t like it and gives error messages sometimes, so I use AAC-320 which fits almost twice as much on a 256 GB flash and sounds about the same considering the noise of being in a car).

For those who do torrents, check out the Fries remasters of Miller. I’ve compared a few so far using computer speakers but haven’t done a comparison on the stereo yet.

There's a big lake for cars that don't play lossless GD. Makes great habitat for the lake trout..