• 7,796 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

No my first concert, but I saw the brothers with and without Dickie Betts many times (although sadly not with Duane).

As for 4/28/71. One of the greats. Listened to 4/14/78 yesterday. Certainly not the best in the tour but put it all together and Spring 78 was sort of grate.

It's got to be Friday somewhere, so here's to that. Time to start acting like it's going to be a great weekend and hope the planets and stars align accordingly.

Edit: Wow, this is the first post that went through on the first try in a very long time.

• bolo24

First concert I ever attended: Marshall Tucker Band and Allman Brothers. So began my personal long, strange trip

• Forensicdoceleven

One of my favorite 1971 shows and a perfect example of “the sledgehammer approach”---loud, fast, bone crunching rock and roll, very edgy, skip the subtlety, fasten yer seatbelts and go directly to “pulverize”. Almost everything is a highlight, but things like Next Time You See Me, China/Rider, Truckin’ (check out the truly fierce playing by Garcia near the end), Hard To Handle, the crazed hyperkinetic Around & Around, and the massive Good Lovin’ stand out. If you like your rock and roll Grateful Dead style, this one’s for you! Highly highly recommended!

Rock and roll is the hamburger that ate the world......

Doc
    I can't wait to crank this up on my way to work!!!!

• Oroborous

A pistol shot
    At five o’clock
    The bells of heaven ring
    Tell me what you done it for…
    RIP Rick, we didn’t even get to meet you

• Forensicdoceleven

Dedicated to Jay Carstens....................

Can one safely critique a venerable classic without having to run for cover? LOL I have no idea. In any case, get ready for THE Pigpen show. Yes, Mr. Pen dominates, especially on Good Lovin’ and Lovelight, where he lays down classic raps while the boys in the band back him up ably with wonderful psychedelic snake music. And the “smaller” Pig numbers work as well, particularly the rare and finely performed King Bee and the typically hard rockin’ April 71 Hard To Handle. Throw in a wonderful Bird Song, heart felt Sing Me Back Home, and the other usual rock and roll and country/western suspects, and there you have it----super solid show. Maybe not the classic it was once considered to be (hey, can I safely say that?), but still highly recommended………………….

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.....

Rock on!

Doc
    Music is well said to be the speech of angels.....

• TN John

Gave that 4/14/71 Bucknell show a listen today.
    That was a really good show with a clean recording off the archive.
    Peace

• Oroborous

JK, of course

I hit a couple hours of chestnuts from this fine release yesterday.
    Thanks for reminding us!

On on to May 79…

• jonathan918@GD

No problem my brother!

I did finish the second half of #28, 2/28/73, and yup, just as stellar as the first half!

I'll give those first six shows a go, as you mentioned, Orob

• Oroborous

28 correct
    I’m blaming Jonathan ; )

• TN John

Understood. lol
    Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

and it was a good one, lots of freaks, downtown closed down and camping all over the bayfront center and all around the venue. Lots of doses, goonies if I remember right. We were dosed pretty good for night one and the place was packed. Started the 2nd set with a cool little spacey thing, a great Crazy Fingers too. Lots of folks there for Bob's birthday the next night and we stayed up all night long celebrating Bob and the Good old Grateful Dead. Stayed at a hotel right next to the venue the first night, the hyatt if I remember right, the 2nd night I stayed at a motel down the road and I partied with strangers all night at the pool until the security guard came out and said "it's 3 am, don't you guys ever go to sleep?" big fun.

Every time I get too busy, all kinds of stuff goes on here, it must be a conspiracy; )

Shatter, or some super high concentrated stuff?
This was more sticky/gooey and we just stuck a little on top.
Well, one of the first times I tried it, I’m sitting on the couch with the other half who is not a partier, has never burned etc. So I felt like oh boy, think I’m gonna have to lay down (mind you I’m sitting on the couch) but didn’t want to freak her out. It’s one thing to be too high, but quite another dealing with a nervous civilian at the same time lol.
So I had to say something or she’d freak out. Like, “I’m ok, just need a time out” lol.
Yeah, that stuff was too strong. Definitely a “it’s only a drug, just have to ride it out” moment for sure.
My grower guy at the time was passing out free grams. He actually snowboarded into this job site (he’s a programmer so only needed lap top in back pack) and started passing out free samples.
So next day or so after all the folks working there who had by now tried it all saying similar funny stuff. Luckily nobody had been driving.

10/9/89: it’s funny you mention that one. I was not tripping much in those days and hadn’t at those shows (unfortunately) but I remember coming out of the Hampton spaceship and feeling like I was tripping.
Maybe contact buzz from sharing Js, but I don’t think so…interesting. Maybe they sprayed us like Shoreline 90?

10/15/88: I’m behind again but I’ll put it on the list. I was at those shows and seem to recall having a good time but feeling the shows were sorta status quo? I’ll have to check them out! I know when I finally heard Miami years later I was kinda blown away, and the 15th does look good. The 16th might have been I was burnt by then so not feeling it?
I also was just hanging out in the back…
Thank god for the archive, I’ll have to check em out!
Man that was a SCENE there in St Pete’s! It was wild how there was all that empty land down there and they basically let us take over. I fondly recall they put in out door showers with no curtains/covers and how nice it was parting at my buddies van watching all the cute lil DH gals getting neck-ed without any hangups!
My buddy who was camped right by a shower had drove his Dark Blue van that had a giant turtle spare tire cover on it. Inside he had three large blue tanks of medipure gas! Which led to the ballon driving incident (already told so I won’t repeat)
I can still see it: lounging in the warm beautiful FLA afternoon sun with plenty of killer Js, cold frosties and balloons just watching the girls frolic in the shower! Ahhh, such memories, Dead dreams to another land!
Yeah, that trip was a gas, literally and figuratively. Three dead shows then a week of Golf and beach down in Naples.
One of those you needed a vacation after your vacation!

4/12/78: hit that a couple days ago. Definitely a good show, but perhaps slightly off for THAT tour?
I haven’t checked em all out yet, but still feel like 4/15/78 (DaP 37), both Fox, especially 4/11/78, and perhaps 4/16/78 are tough to beat? Would love to hear others thoughts about this tour.
Spring 78 has turned out to be a huge pleasant surprise for moi. With all complete Beatty’s in the vault you’d think there might be a box there, though the set lists are really repetitive.

Also gave 4/2/82 and 6/9/92 the quick and dirty at work treatment.
4/2/82 was decent, status quo for that tour which is really starting to grow on me!
And boy 6/9/92 is damn near as good as the previous night, even without the big set list.
That GOGD sure can pick em! Cool still finding good shows after 91.
Have a great WE y’all!
Good to see ya and hear your doing better Gary.

That is kind of sad that I feel well enough nowto realize how sick I got.

GreatStory,saw ur posts over on E72, thought of posting something there but then thought just wait till 42.

As far as1988,did Miami, Pete, NO. It was a nice little run. More tomorrow.
Hope all well your way. Jim talked about 10/15 might get some Phish listening instead. Ouch and Ha Ha!
Sure hope it doesn't disappoint me.

I love Phish,but still listen primarily to Dead related stuff.

Need to go back and discuss stereo stuff.

Am glad you guys are so deadicated.

G

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

First time was at the store one night, co-worker (read kid) says, hey, try? Sure, I say I'm a veteran of the smoke wars, I've burned it all, what the hell. Bathroom, bong and WOW. I stood at the counter just putting price stickers on stock, trying hard to be invisible to customers.

Well that was then, this is now. Just like Carnegie Hall, it takes practice to master the concentrates :-) About all I smoke now. Great item for work since it has virtually no smell. But now I smoke it like it was just rolled product. Hard to beat a big hit off tall glass first thing in the AM,,,, know what I mean? :-)

BTW,,,,, Glass 41 came yesterday,,,, looked very nice. (three more of these glassess and I think they'll look better that an axe!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

anybody get any word about the 3 from the vault in vinyl release. The three should have been released yesterday and I've seen no words.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Was able to listen to this whole show yesterday. Good show. I think the 21 Miller was good. Nice TMNS, Sugaree, Queen Jane. Good second set, with that Crazy Fingers, Playing, UJB, good Truckin Smokestack Lightning, nice Stella Blue.
And you guys were there, must have been fun. Hope they didn't harass you to much at this show PT Barnum.
Hey OB, did you slip in another 82 on us? I must have missed it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Rollin

Sorry DV, the situation is the boss, and the situation at the time called for more shows! ; )
When I get on these show sprees I just go with it. I don’t expect sane people to binge that hard.
Then I just set em out there and see what takes. So what ever way your pleasure tends amigo!

GANGSTER: Dennis “don’t try this at home kids” Superfly!
Hitting big high test tubes for Bfast!
It is all about tolerance isn’t it?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

There is no hate in this house.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

How was it? Is it worth a go?
I will give it a spin.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

No, no, no, amigo, by tolerance I ment like physiological, like when you tripped three shows in a row, by the third night you needed 2, whilst the first night one was enough etc.
like when I was a pro I could go to my folks and eat dinner on fungus, but today I’d probably be afraid to leave the house. I’m not in practice, and I have no physical tolerance etc.
Weed especially is easy to build a tolerance, why I think DUI laws are unconstitutional. Not that there shouldn’t be any laws, just the ones they have are fucked, imho…no offense meant to anyone.

Too funny cause when I typed that I thought “I hope he gets what I’m saying” lol

Ain’t no time to hate!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

4/2/82, Issss ok?
I’d check out one of those GOGD 92s in this case…

10/15/88 was kinda how I remember? The first couple start out strong!
Actually better in that JG seems kinda on, and does some cool expressive stuff. Bob sounds like his voice is getting fucked? When was it he had surgery etc? Overall it’s decent, JG definitely steps it up.
The recording seemed a bit funky too? Sometimes it was stellar, others kinda distorty wobbly? Flutter?
Overall agood show but didn’t seem to go furthur for lack of better description?
I’d call it status quo for the times?
Kinda my recollection of the times: Besides those Hampton 88 shows it seemed at the time like 87, after the big scare in 86, was about laying back a little, regrouping and getting right as a unit again. This built slowly and continued until the peak in 89 or 90.
But that’s perhaps an overgeneralization based on nostalgia at the time? To some it was a big change from the insane roller coaster it had been to the relative moderate vibe of the time?
Perhaps like going from 69 psychedelic to 70 acoustic, good, but a big difference? Energy wise…
There probably is, like we’re finding elsewhere, at least some better then status quo 88 shows?
Just gotta poke around…
It’s funny how much our perceptions and preconceived notions can change after all these years.
Again, thank goodness for the archive, because sometimes yer memory is fucked lol.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I knew exactly what you meant:-)

But if I didn't laugh at it all, I'd cry all the time.

....... and 1 should always be enough for the first show!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

This written format can be misleading and often gets me in trouble as my intentions are misinterpreted.

But that’s exactly it, if we can’t laugh and joke around with each other then what’s the point anymore?
I know, Keeko would say the point is on top of my head and if I’d grow more hair I might cover it up!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Family Dog April 18 1970

Even a dedicated rocker like myself sometimes needs a reprieve, a gentle respite from the raucous high volume electrical intensity of amplified rock and roll. That’s what you’ll find here……….

This apparent stealth acoustic performance struck like a bolt from the blue when released in November of 2013, has it fallen off everybody’s radar since then? Here the Dead channel their inner psychedelic acoustic warrior, covering traditional folk, country/cowboy/western, and tasty Hunter originals. And it’s capped off with six---yes, six!!!---consecutive Pigpen tunes, some never heard before or after. No other show, before or since, is quite like this…..

It appears that this was one of a group of tapes returned to the Dead by Mountain Girl, one wonders what else may have been there……….

When was the last time you gave this little gem a listen?

Doc
A gentle heart is tied with an easy thread……

Nice lil change up. And yasss it was due for a spin.
Bob getting all Agro with Bear, and “someone go knock on the door and get Pigpen”
Marmaduke and/or Nelson with sweet harmonies. Pig should have played solo more often…

Ok, anyone up for extra credit, how bout we heat it up with 7/4/90?
I’ve never heard this one and am more intrigued by summer 90 after the Dave’s release last year.

Tomorrow I’d like to request a special pick which I’ll reveal later, if that’s ok?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Songs from this show make regular appearances on Sat Radio.

What's not to like? There's a little hiss on the recording, but it's old and quite rare. A little nugget from history delivered to our mailbox or doorstep.

The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 documents the most destructive flood in US history affecting 630,000 people. Nice of Pigpen via Johnny Lee Hooker to give it modern day meaning.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Sitting courtside under one of the baskets at Warriors/Nuggets game tonight

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bolo24

In honor of Jim’s 40th anniversary.
If you’ve never had the pleasure, grad some nitrous and check it out ; )

I can't honestly say I remember the Pigpen version - despite having the cd of 4/18/70. But that John Lee Hooker record is unforgettable. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds cut a thunderous record based on this theme, and with that title, in the mid 80's.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I can't say no to that. A pivotal moment in the life of Jim.

The drive home (including the arduous task of finding the car) was perhaps scarier than that moment when they derailed into discord and mayhem shortly after drums. The driver, the older brother of the friend I went with, was totally straight and a taper. The two of us had never seen the dead before and we both indulged - two each. Making it through space intact was the first challenge.. then we had to live through it again on the drive home. I was given very strict instructions which I followed as if my life depended on it, "He cannot know." So we hop in the car, he takes out his newly recorded master and fast forwards to that very moment it all began.

"Quoth the Raven Nevermore. ....It was a dark and stormy night.... Wasn't it?" and the laughing and the sounds of nitrous.

Listening to this again for the first time in a while, that laugh at the beginning of space that sounds remarkably like the laugh repeated over and over again on a loop cycle during the excellent Space from Dave's Picks 40, Deer Creek 6/18/90. It's the same laugh whether recreated or brought back to life from this recording? Not sure.

Looking back on this 40 years later, I have to think maybe Larry wasn't as straight as he was purported to be. How could he not have known we were holding on for dear life on that fateful drive home? Perhaps he fast forwarded to that space because he knew and approved? A test? Questions that will likely remain unanswered.

If you haven't heard this check it out, there's a brand spanking new Miller on the archive that reeks of an upgrade. On a similar note, Lemieux has been playing stuff from this tour this year. I recall him referring to it as "a most excellent tour", perhaps foreshadowing things to come?

To me, the sound is better than some of the 82 that's found it's way to CD.. When the sweet chords of the Wheel finally broke through the madness that came before it.. I realized things were going to be ok after all. And they were. But the half hour before that and the half hour drive home took some time to make sense out of. Thankfully the Wheel and Stella Blue were there to provide support and ground us after our travels.

I'd like to think we both passed the test. ahh.. well, onward.

Edit: Two additional comments.. the discord probably started with Feel Like a Stranger, also that Brokedown Palace was sweet. 81 and 82 have some really nice versions of these songs, Jerry's voice was in good shape during this period. a real highlight.

Knew we were getting close. Still love the Raven show. I am a huge '82 fan.

This was the same time as my first drop, April 1982, what a life changing event, as I know 4/19 was for you.

First 2 drops were Orange Sunshine and Purple Haze. Not too bad for first 2. Man, there is a lot to write about with those 2.

Thanks Jim for being such a solid rock of posting here, and again, Congrats.

G

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I was there.. It was so hot at the start of the show... Close to 100... Really enjoyed the long scarlet>fire popping up in the 4th slot.... Drove straight to Louisville after the show... why oh why.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I listened to 1988-10-15. Once Friday, Second Saturday. Two different sources although both said the Ultramatrix board, the first was much muddier than the second. Best highlight was the deep garbled voices toward the end of drums. Really bizarre, and reminds me of garbled voices during latter Star Wars during broken transmissions, and reminds me of the fellas ties to Lucas, the lightgiver.

I was very disappointed in both versions as the show is missing a whole lot of data/music. What I mean by this is, I am wondering if there is fallout from the phil zone? I am positing that as the Phil Zone expanded, Healy lost control of the overall sound. If memory serves at some point it seems I remember maybe Phil using 18" woofers onstage. For sure he was using 15's (plus 12's and 10's). Now I loved my bit of time I spent in the Phil zone, but generally when I got up close, it was Jerry side. As Phil blasts his horn, this means Healy had to bring Phil down in the overall P.A. mix. In my humble opinion, I believe this led to the bad tape sound, lots of data/music missing. When I focus my ears, I can tell that much of the overall lower sound waves are missing or nonexistent. Even worse, the frequencies that are there are very muddled and indiscernible.

Now as a way to test my theory, I listened to 1988-03-27, Hampton. Another group of shows I saw in 1988. I did see 8 Dead shows there and fully know the quality of the sound that can be obtained within the mothership. (Also saw the shows that make up "Hampton Comes Alive..") When I listened to March 27, the sound is very good. However, although not as bad a St.Pete, there is again a large amount of data/music missing as well. The imaging is excellent but that is because the imaging comes from the higher frequencies. Bass frequencies are much more omni- directional, whereas high frequencies are unidirectional. (Want to press on these concepts furthur, later on. I want to go back to some discussions back in October regarding HDCD.) If my hypothesis is correct, then the tape anomalies concerning extremely muddled low frequencies will test out thru other 1988 shows. Had not heard or noticed this until this past weekend. So for St. Pete, it not only causes Phil to be muddled (deep booming bass with no clarity to individual notes played), it also means some muddleness from other players/instruments. I believe this may be the reason why 1988 recordings may all need matrix recording.

Just one man's opinion, would like to know what others thought.

Both Hampton and St. Pete were excellent shows when you factor other aspects than just the quality of the reproduced sound on tape. One reason I love the later shows is because the P.A. quality produces a much more full bodied, across frequencies, sound than do earlier performances. Early performances are fire from perfomance, latter shows have more depth and clarity in the frequency spectrum, hence DaP#40.

Ok enough for now.

G

As of late 82 or early 83 Phil was using 4 Meyers cabinets: (4 -18”, 4 -15”), 2 per cabinet powered by custom PIE amps, until they started not using speakers on stage in 92. (Which I didn’t like).

Not sure I get all what your saying? I agree that Soundboards do not sound natural for many reasons.
Perhaps your referring to the phenomena of Microphones not having frequency response to accurately record bass waves combing sub sonic frequencies at those kind of SPL levels?
Mic location can also make a big difference and was partly why Dan started the tapers section. Unless you have the right knowledge and equipment chances are a recording made too close will mot sound good.
Plus you have the physics: the lower the frequency, the longer the sound wave. If your too close you’ll not hear the fully formed bass note etc.
In fact if your too close much of the PA sound will blow right by you. You’ll also not properly experience stereo imaging. That’s why usually, the sound board or just before it was THE place to be. It was a trade off going up front: yeah you were up close and could see and hear their stage sound, but the PA mix was so above and beyond you that you missed a lot of info. Eventually they added little Meyers boxes, usually sitting on the front of the stage to add some vocals etc for those up close.
Nothing comes for free! Personally, like Bear, I didn’t like the stereo set up because of this. Unless you were in the right spot, you missed a lot of info, especially if you were sitting on the side!
This was the main reason Reserved seating sucked: nobody could sit where they wanted so if you were a sound nut like us, you often had to endure less than perfect sound/mixes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

thanks for the write-up, input. Need a little time to read again and ponder. Think again we are speaking the same language but as 90% of communication is non verbal, some times the written language let's us down.

It seems I have the dead's equipment book, need to track that down. Not necessarily for this discussion but just to find it again...

Should have figured Phil would use Meyer systems. Using 18's onstage, wow!

Hope all well your way!

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Home version. 18"'s and 4"'s. If I move some things around, they should fit.

That’s what chain saws are for!

Gary, I think besides trying to keep up with Garcia, Phil was using that big system on stage to help fill in those near field areas (up front etc) we were discussing, the areas that didn’t get proper coverage from the PA?
What some refer to as the Phil Zone, though to me that’s was where both his stage sound and the PA sound merged and acoustically coupled.
But yeah, My spine tingles and can still feel rather than hear those sub frequencies in my DNA. (By sub I mean below the threshold of hearing, not a subwoofer). Those Meyers 18”s in the PA were ridiculous in the right spot, in the right venue etc.
Plus, it’s the Grateful Fucking Dead so why not go big!

PS, that Grateful Dead gear book is great, though a little dialed down.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Can you imagine writing the real equipment book? With the constant upgrading of the system, that book would be multiple enormous volumes. Hope the Meyers have logged a lot of their research.

No 18's here. Of course not needed.

Back last year, Oro, you asked if I was running multiple subs. I am not. I have a 12" SVS Systems sub with built in Sledge D amp. It is like the rabbit, it is a thumper. Goes down to 13 or 15hz, so below the 20hz of human hearing. That is, if all memories about frequency response are still good. Starting to get the old enough to question my own thoughts at times.

I am still hoping for the day when we can listen to WoS through a system that takes us to the "Fare the Well" P.A.. Would have to be software based, but I look at it like 4K upcoding an HDTV signal.

Wow, FTW PA is now 7 years ago. Bet the Meyers' have gone way beyond that. I almost applied for a job at Meyer 7 years ago. Was in my career field. POTHead.

That 2015 system had multiple flying 18's. It also had a load balancing system. This was done by having 2 systems, intake and outake. That is, they had 100 microphones throughout the stadium to push into the analytics software. Of course, the output systems was not connected except thru analytics, to the input system to avoid feedback. Brilliant. The analytic input system could then be used to balance the PA by section of the of the stadium.

Sorry for interruption but I wanted find the article on pro sound web about 2015 FTW PA.

I did actually find it, but not by searching pro sound web, but by searching internet at large and it found it on the pro sound web site, even though pro sound web could not find it in its own search.

Let me know, maybe I can send lynk thru PM here, not sure if they cut that off.

Any way need to do a little work after lunch. I mean a little work.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Neanderthal's use chain saws.. a sophisticated audiophile attacks their living rooms delicately with a sawzaw.

I'm totally jealous.. I am blasting with my 20 year old Denon, similar age speakers with no intents on upgrading anytime soon. Budgets be budgets..

Ah the sounds of my earliest fun dentist. "You dont need no gas!"

All my stereo stuff is old, always fussy. Running all old Yamaha into JBL (plus svs). Trying to get stuff cleaned and parts replaced. When it is on, it is quite the stereo indeed. I have an old yamaha eq that I hooked up when Dave's first show was released. Goes into Pre amp, then to a yamaha mx-830. The MX-830 is powering 4 jbl g300's and 2 jbl LX 600's. Running 6 speakers means the amp is running at 550 watts at 2 ohms. It cooks. The speakers all have same tweeters and mid ranges. The 300s run 8" woofers and the 600s have 10 inch woofers. It is old but as you say "in budget." Smile.

edit:
Then the svs has a 550 watt continous, 850 watt peak sledge. The svs I picked up a few years back for $399. I had to have a sub with an internal crossover. So out of preamp to svs (rca cables), then back into the preamp, then to amp. Having old yamaha means older connection points. Modern amps control the crossover themself and pump sub out already crossed over. I happen to run my internal sub amp at a cutoff of 82 hz. George Lucas uses 80 hz crossover in his THX sound systems. So I am slightly above that. I did some sampling of the room using the preamp features.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

You are kind soul.. I appreciate all you provide here. Same goes to Oro. I think it would take a face to face to catch me up on all the technology (old or new) that the two of you bring for me to truly understand. As for old.. and I am sure you both know.. in either late 73 or early 74 (I think 73).. the GD got into a scuffle with DOD over equipment they were ordering that was desperately needed for national security. Apparently, the Macintosh amps they were buying in unprecedented numbers were needed both in general and more specifically by special, top secret subs that needed the clean sound and amplification to either detect enemy interference or better hear and make stealth the noise they were making. So they called the GD and tried to work out a way to either stall, postpone or barter a purchasing arrangement that would not jeopardize national security.

I think this is well known, and I apologize in advance for going on memory and surely confusing some of the information listed above as fact. ..but what is written is pretty close, if someone can clarify and correct it would not offend me in the least.

Hope I didn't write anything that was incorrect or in any way interpreted as insulting or offensive.

As for chainsaws and sawzaws to clear way for our living room WOS.. what could possibly be more fun.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Isn't the goal here to be lighthearted? I try my best to not let the craziness of the world/media not get to me here? Isn't the goal here to be a kind prankster? They ask, "Are you kind?" Most of the flamers I look like as children, either actual age or not. Many are so deep in social media and issues that result thereof, they cannot see what it is doing to them. They are being handled, manipulated, and unwittingly abused by the profiteers. I try to stay away.

Jim, had no idea of the McIntosh amp issues. Thanks for that piece of info. As much as I love the music, it is just how they were. So real and fun which someone wrote, "creating their own iconography." The richness of their traditions and internal musical dialog that we love is an unending source of comfort as they lived it everyday for 30 years. I wish I had a shot at hearing even 50% of their music, but as I have written before, my OCD makes me wear out a great jam over and over instead of looking for the next one. Need to work on that for sure.

So Jim and Oro and many others, thanks for passing the test.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I was close... if you google it you will get an answer pretty quick. Here is a quick quote from my first google land.

Rosie McGee was cracking up at her desk when Dennis "Wiz" Leonard walked in from lunch.

"What's the story?" Wiz asked McGee, then a receptionist and bookkeeper at Alembic, a California-based custom electric guitar, bass, and pre-amp company where Wiz worked as an audio engineer.

"Well, the Department of Defense just called me," she told him. "They were asking if we could defer the purchase of our next four 3500s, so they could get four."

Those amps were in high demand at Alembic. The 3500s, in particular, would be used in the Wall of Sound's vocal array tweeters, drum tweeters, and for Jerry Garcia's guitars. But was it just Alembic buying them up? A rumor was going around—a "urban myth," Wiz told me—that the US military was using Mac 3500s for sonar, specifically to listen for Soviet submarines.

That is another interesting story in their history. I spent a little time on archive today. Haven't done that in a long time. Amazing the amount of stuff that shows up over there. A totally different subset of heads. I am just now getting to understand that there may be more than I can image to come out yet. Got on a discussion board there and it was an eye opener.

Any way, I plan to watch the 42 discussion. I actually prefer being hidden back here. Of course everything in public domain. We are everywhere. Or is it, we are the marketing department.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

4/19/82
Baptism by fire?
I forget, first dead AND ?
Great story, I can’t imagine, well, actually I can lol.

Pretty darn good first show eh!
Starts out a tad slow as can be the case, but built up nice throughout the set, with a nice set list: On the Road, Roses, Women Are, Might As Well, AND! It has both a Cumberland, and a PEGGY O!
Stranger perhaps not the beast it would become, but nice opener here directly into Franks, Nice Estimated, but then into Terrapin instead of status quo eyes. Were you familiar with the music yet?
yeah sweet first show, but wait kids, there’s more!
That wonderful crazy space, man I remember getting a tape of that set, and Hartford, played the hell outta em, rents probably knew for sure then we’d gone nuts lol.
But yeah, slides back to earth on The Wheel, with a interesting Truckin’ for lack of better term, and a very nice Stella.
Then a double shot of Bobster and a fine end of tour Brokedown.

Sound was good except the vocals were out front a tad for my preference, and the usual splice or three, but totally enjoyable, best version I’ve heard. Also, it was nice to hear the whole space segment, I’d only ever heard it in progress, so that was cool, no tank here but some tasty, potent Golden Goat had me laughing on the inside.
Made for a needed, very nice, relaxing afternoon after a couple weird days, including no tunes : (

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

I said I wouldn't be posting about 71s for a while, but I shall make an exception for April 21, 1971. And what a fine exception it is...............

No bells & whistles, no frills, no midi. Lacking subtlety, bacon greasy, crunchy, hard edged, a thunderous example of the "sledgehammer approach" on display in April 1971. Rock and roll, Grateful Dead.................

Oh, the shows I missed growing up!!!

It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder; we need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.

Doc
I am a being of Heaven and Earth, of thunder and lightning, of rain and wind, of the galaxies...........

great write up. Guess I need to go back thru that video. Havent watched in a few years. When was the meet up with the movies for this show? Of course, going by memory may have things confused.

Found yesterday on archive forum, then to a posted new video of 1976-08-04 Roosevelt Stadium. Posted about 3 weeks ago. It is not complete, made of form multiple sources, SB plus video. Looks like they have almost all video when I ran thru. Video goes to 3 hour plus marker but did not do but a cursory review, under 3 minutes or so.

So youtube, then GD, then date should allow you to find. Got a lot of music building on my plate.

G

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Gary----

I think you misunderstood, you're thinking of 4/21/1972, while I think of 4/21/71. And other 71s, of course...........

Doc
We are infected by our own misunderstanding of how our own minds work.............

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

the Meyer sound article on fare the well. Just copy and paste instead of a lync.

The Grateful Dead Bids "Fare Thee Well" at Levi's Stadium with Meyer Sound LEO

Derek FeatherstoneDerek FeatherstonePhoto: Jay Blakesberg

4 of 8
July 3, 2015

John Meyer's 1100-LFC loudspeakers empower the rhythmic voice and enable percussionists to manifest new ideas. They are sonic tools for reliably transmitting vibrations that affect neurologic function in a special way we are only beginning to understand, enabling us to explore healing properties embedded in low-frequency sound—a dream come true for us all.”

Mickey HartDrummer/Percussionist, The Grateful Dead
Featured Products
1100‑LFC, 700-HP, CQ-1, Galileo Callisto 616, LEO, LYON, MICA, MILO, MJF-212A, UPJ‑1P

Fifty years after forming their band at a Palo Alto music store, the surviving founders of the Grateful Dead kicked off their end-of-an-era “Fare Thee Well” mini-tour at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. with a Meyer Sound LEO linear large-scale sound reinforcement system driving a quadraphonic surround setup.

The two Silicon Valley shows were a landmark occasion with more than the 60,000 devoted Deadheads in attendance each evening. It was also a milestone in the band’s decades-long association with Meyer Sound CEO John Meyer, a relationship spawned from a shared passion for audio experimentation and audience experience. The Grateful Dead’s original sound engineer, Owsley “Bear” Stanley, first tapped Meyer to create acoustic solutions for the legendary “Wall of Sound” system in the 1970s.

The Meyer Sound LEO system with its accompanying 1100‑LFC low-frequency control element delivered an immersive fan experience in the large football stadium and supported an experimental segment devised by drummer/percussionist Mickey Hart. Using the Meyer Sound system to transmit ultra-low frequencies in surround sound, Hart probed how the brain perceived audible and below-audible rhythms.

“John Meyer’s 1100-LFC loudspeakers empower the rhythmic voice and enable percussionists to manifest new ideas,” says Mickey Hart. “They are sonic tools for reliably transmitting vibrations that affect neurologic function in a special way we are only beginning to understand, enabling us to explore healing properties embedded in low-frequency sound—a dream come true for us all.”

The Meyer Sound system comprised four front arrays of 17 LEO-M and three MICA line array loudspeakers each, with dual side columns of 14-each 1100-LFC low-frequency control elements and a center column of 22 700-HP subwoofers in an end-fire pattern. Side and offstage coverage was supplied by 32 LYON and 32 MILO line array loudspeakers, respectively, with an additional 30 MICA loudspeakers providing behind-stage coverage.

Filling in the far ends of the stadiums were four delay towers with a total of 56 MILO loudspeakers and eight 700-HP subwoofers. Two additional towers of eight LYON loudspeakers each faced the stage for quad surround effects, with six CQ-1 and four LYON loudspeakers providing front fill. A Galileo Callisto loudspeaker management system handled drive and optimization, and 16 MJF-212A stage monitors provided onstage foldback.

Following the Levi’s Stadium shows, Grateful Dead continues its tour at Soldier Field in Chicago over 4th of July weekend, using a nearly identical LEO system for three shows. Audio requirements for the shows are handled by Martinez, Calif.-based Pro Media / UltraSound, with system design accomplished by the company’s Derek Featherstone, vice president of touring and rental and the band’s FOH engineer since 2005.

Additional equipment support for the five shows comes from Blackhawk Audio, Rainbow Production Services, Show Systems, and Solotech.

“The LEO and 1100-LFC system can handle everything we put into it,” says Featherstone. “We are also very impressed with the quality control of the Meyer Sound self-powered equipment. Being able to acquire 650 loudspeakers from several different vendors located in multiple states, assemble the large system on site, and have it work seamlessly is no small feat.”

Matt Haasch, audio crew chief for Pro Media / Ultrasound adds: “I was impressed with how well the LEO system handled the physical acoustics of a big stadium. Coverage was smooth and practically seamless, with precise imaging for all seating areas.”

John Meyer’s work with the Grateful Dead extends to the mid-1970s when the band’s concerts were heard through McCune Sound Service’s JM-10 systems designed by Meyer. The relationship continued through the band’s last tour with Jerry Garcia in 1995, supported by Meyer Sound MSL-10 loudspeakers. Meyer Sound systems have been a staple for tours of reunion and spin-off bands during the interim, including the 2005 and 2009 tours equipped with a Meyer Sound MILO system when the core members were known as The Dead. In 2011, the band’s Bob Weir installed a Meyer Sound Constellation acoustic system in his Tamalpais Research Institute (TRI).
Copyright © 1979-2022
Meyer Sound Laboratories, Incorporated

You got that right.

I am noticing more and more my mind struggling some. Not sure if it is age, partying, or maybe a sign of damage done with the covid vaccine. Just can tell my short term memory is starting to suffer. I am starting to believe it might be the vaccine. Of course, with appendix rupturing and living thru it, a little memory loss aint to bad.

Thanks for the correction! Sorta, a year in my life got shortened (?) by having the wrong year. D'oh.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

but ...damage done with the covid vaccine? You're not supposed to snort it or smoke the stuff.

Saying in jest.. hoping to god all holy hell does not break out here. Tread carefully and perhaps consider safer topics like religion, politics, or Donna wails. I'm just not sure this one belongs here, actually I'm pretty sure it doesn't. There are many who read these posts that have lost loved ones and it's not a passing comment that will elude attention.

I don't believe you meant any ill will and no offense meant in my comments.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Been locked out of posting for the last four days. Nurse!

So, it is working again. Was it something I said?

How about about 6/13/80, from Seattle taped by our own Nitecat. Full disclosure I have never heard this show but it is getting rave reviews elsewhere. I believe he is Wiseman.

Oh and 7/4/90 was a good show. Vocals a little funky Bob t was there. You saw a lot of good shows that summer Bob. Great Scarlet Fire.

4/19/82- I hit this one not too long ago per a Jim pick. Great show and that Raven space had my dog hiding under the couch and my wife coming downstairs wondering what the hell I was listening to. Just Raven space!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I can't for the life of me see how anyone could take offence at Gary's last post. Surely its the intention behind what we say that matters, not the accidental outcome - and there was obviously no harm intended.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

yeah DV, let's jump on the John Deere and join nitecat in Seattle. I listened to Set II but it was just on my laptop speakers, which are decidedly not optimal so it would good to listen on my old Sennheisers. Wild that you got locked out. I find that as of late Recaptcha will suddenly get a wild hair and its just wave after wave of challenges.

Bonner Springs makes me think of the next show on that tour - Lousiville 7/6/90, and specifically the He's Gone > jam. IIRC good friend's brother was front row in front of Jerry and was eyeballs deep and way way out there. Brother told my friend that Jerry was locked in on him during that jam and had the most gnarly crazed look about him as he played. And years ago as I listened to it I could feel the complete holy shit energy about it. That sequence got released as bonus material on View from the Vault I, which I don't own (low on funds, pick an choose guy back in the day.)

Found myself listening to the Ken Lee source for electric set for 6/24/70 Capital Theatre. Yowza. I can't recall doing that show as a POTDWD but feel like it had to have happened given what a monster show that is. Whole show with all the acoustic material is up in a Hance/SirMick transfer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Glad your back. Sorry, just saw the PM. Haven’t had time for here lately.
Great minds think alike though. I was going to inquire about checking out that 80s show of nitecat.

Yeah, sorry but I’m with Jim and I think he handled it fine.
Misinformation is not opinion, and it’s getting out of control.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I'm all over that. Just back from couple days in the hospital with one of my parents in their mid 80's, so an 80's show fits that bill. Also excited to hear the new price placed ever so gently on Archive.org. What a gift.

Thanks all.. lots of good stuff these last few days.

Over and out.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Down on the farm. Sounds like a hoot! (Just teasing as one who’s been there)
Hope they’ll be well soon!!

Bluecrow: 6/24/70, I’ll mark that down and we’ll have to slip it in…you say it’s listenable?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

So just now recollecting that I in fact saw another June 13 Seattle show - 6/13/94 Memorial Stadium. Some might see the year and shrug their shoulders and turn away. So be it. Stadium was maybe a little over half full. It was cool and misty - I think there's pictures of Jerry Set I wearing a leather bomber jacket. Jerry was bringing it all night long. Huge Scarlet > Fire to open Set II. And the Morning Dew that finishes Set II is pure Jerry's cup runneth over with love.

Only the first 1/2 of Set II circulates as a SB (and it sounds really good), but there are good audience pulls available. If not a POTD maybe extra credit for those who aspire to the DHB hat trick. Next night didn't have such big jams but was really well played also. And it had a That Would Be Something. At the time I didn't realize it was a Paul McCartney tune and my thought was that Hunter had written a beautiful but lyrically simple song that Jerry could easily remember!

Sorry to hear about the hospital "stuff" Jim. Best wishes. As difficult as being in a hospital with a loved one can be, it's good that you can actually be there with them. So often these past 2 years that hasn't been an option for many of us.

Oro - yes, what i heard of 6/24/70 was very much listenable. I'd go with the Ken Lee source, but if that wasn't available I'd still listen to the others. Amazing show. A SB holy grail - sadly almost certainly not recorded by the crew. The Not Fade Away that opens that last set is crazy good and segues into a kick ass Easy Wind.

Second booster 2 weeks ago. Vaccines are a "miracle."

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. Onward : - )

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Second booster yesterday. Sore arm and other aches for me but the wife had much tougher night with aches and little sleep. An unvaxxed neighbor down the street almost died from it last month. Poor guy can't even drive as his fog is bad. Lucky for him there are more life saving treatments now. My buddy from Crested Butte who was one of the very first wave still dealing with long haul. He was in the coma for weeks and had to relearn walking, talking, eating, etc. Thankful we played dead and hid out. Found out you really cannot die of boredom. So I'm with you fellers (like Delmar in Oh Brother) and just plain thankful. My fog is definitely from Connoisseur shelf products.
Jim, hope the folks are OK. Had to look up the McIntosh amp story; priceless.
Gary, great write up on the Meyer sound equipment. Amazing tech in modern sound reproduction. Wish I understood more of it. I'm an analog guy in a digital world I'm afraid.
Cheers to all!
Last 5
- Marty Robbins, Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs: Couldn't resist getting this if only for the original El Paso, but the Big Iron tops it!
- Renaissance, Ashes Are Burning
- RT Vol.3, No.2: Austin 11-15-71
- Debussy, La Mer (always crack myself up when I see his name and remember the yutz in my college music appreciation class that wrote his essay on that guy "W.C.")
- George Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue and Other Favorites. Very interesting album played by an amazing Steinway-Duo Art "player piano" from the Aeolian Company's 1913 invention. From 1916-1925 all the major artists made rolls for this incredible machine that you could play like a regular piano or it could play without assistance the actual performances of those who have played upon it, even reproducing the dynamics, pedal effects, method of attack, and many other subtleties of expression. It really does sound like Gershwin playing it! Found this album (in stereo no less) at the Salvation Army store for $0.50 in pristine condition; Priceless! Wonder if the artists got royalties when it was used, LOL.