• 7,816 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

so slowly dawned on me that there was a DVD also with that very rare animal of live concert video footage. cut right to chase and started in on pure Egypt 78 which is Ollin Arageed. So very cool. Worth the price of admission right there. and then into Fire. Jerry's got a wall to wall grin and Phil is that animated Phil we all know and love. Cameras are a way bit bouncy at times but still pure gold. Got to ask though - did they have to cut out the tail end of Fire? Very much muy ouch. And they did it again on All Over Now. stop that! Phil is singing on Trucking! And new found appreciation for the jam out of Trucking. Really really fine.

50 years ago SimonRob was at Bickershaw in the cold rain and mud. Maybe we should revisit that epic show on its anniversary?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

3/30/90
2/22/74
5/6/70

3/30/90: don’t think I’ve heard this one so much, why that is I don’t know because wowsa what a show!
I listened to most of 3/29 after and I think the 30 is an overall better show! Sure the 29 has the sexy set list and BM etc, but from start to finish the 30th is tight! And a triple shot of Jer bear, fo-git-a-bout-it.
Now Need to check out the 28th soon also? The Healy Miller sounded fabulous too, even on mediocre equipment, great show, great pick!

2/22/74: (bonus disc) starts out a little ruff, but by Loose Lucy things have entrained and the sound is dialed in.
Not sure I’ve ever heard a bouncy Roses. Ruff but fun! Playin is what you’d expect, beauty eh! Has a nice short but clear and concise Slipknot reference too! Can’t recall the Ship off hand (alcohol and listening at night sometimes will do that) but I’m sure it was fine like the rest of it. I’m not familiar with the show, but wonder why he didn’t use some of the more extended stuff? Probably not enough time using using those “first” versions etc.
Certainly great music but will have to listen more, not sure it stands with some of the previous Bonus discs which can sometimes be as good or better than the release itself. But that’s just being more a critic than a fan, and the fan is glad to have it and will enjoy it for hopefully a long time. I do distinctly remember wanting to keep going and get into 2/23, but I know how much I prefer to do virgin listen in the morning, when I’m somewhat fresh, with coffee and a nice light morning buzz, but before the weed takes over the conversation. So that’s what’s happening next, woohoo!

5/6/70: what a surprise! Hit this last thing last night and man what a good show. Sound was a huge surprise (went with the Bill Koucky) SB. I had a tape of this, so i must of liked it, but don’t recall it, so came in thinking it was going to just be another ok show with less than stellar sound, no sir! This was one of the best unreleased 70 shows I’ve heard , so far, since I’ve not heard as much as other years…

Believe this show is historic too. Wasn’t this the one where campus was shut down so they came in a bread truck and/or laundry baskets or some such stealth mode? Sorry too lazy to look up, but I’m pretty sure this is the show, which of course was part of a nation wide campus strike 2 days after the disgusting massacre at Kent state. Michener’s book on it is a really interesting must read for anyone curious about that unfortunate day in American history.
What’s really impressive is how well they played in spite of how cold it was. I’ve read about that, and Phil makes several comments during the show about it. So for a stealth, unplanned (meaning suboptimal logistics) outside gig with less than stellar conditions, it makes it that much more impressive how good this show is!

Wow, what a couple of days of dead. And hopefully we’re gonna take you higher with 42!
Only wish DV hadn’t pissed off Rhino so he had his too ; ) teasing of course!

Oooppss, forgot to mention Egypt BC. Not sure why they slag this so much? Sure it’s not the overall tightest, but I seem to recall Jer ripping at times? Haven’t heard it since the Shakedown Stream (man those were fun and much needed, even the other half was participating and she’s not even a head!).
But I recall thinking this isn’t so bad at all, lots quite good actually. And talk about historic, yeah DV I’ve read a fair amount about the whole endeavor, and it’s quite the GD madness some how they pull it off trip once again, misfit power! I believe Keasey has some interesting stuff on doing recon etc in ? Spit In The Ocean? Somewhere? there’s some good sheet to be had!
Ok,it’s go time buttercup!

PS, happy happy joy joy to Mr Bill

yeah Oro -a lot of fine music there. I never took part in those Shakedown Streams. my mistake.

one of the reasons i compulsively don't get rid of stuff, say the music at hand, is that I'm a firm believer in coming back years later and "seeing" it anew. and that's the case here.

my specific case in point - a n-th generation board of Rotterdam 5/11/72 Dark Star through Trucking. Huge level issues, one side pegged out and the other non-existent. yet somehow balanced but way way way hissy. got it in '82. other tapes in that trade were way better to me (and they were really really good too). one fine summer mid--summer day '87, after midnight one or so, I pulled the Rotterdam tape out of its forgotten drawer purgatory and spun it in the dark listening with the crappy headphones I had in those days . and it blew my mind. a complete and earth shaking revelation about the Europe Tour.

will admit that the compulsive behavior behind that may-need-to-revisit makes for a cluttered house.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Yep, using the server to listen is mucho convenient, but it’s nice to have the original stuff, not only just in case, but it’s fun to look at and hold and read etc.!

If/when I get time, I can probably help you with some of those missing items you’ve mentioned…

Happy Birthday Bill, and thanks so much. To have a drummer be the leader of such a great band is awesome to all of us wanna be drummers.

Yuck Yuck

And happy 50th Simon, spinning Bick 3rd time this spring. Love it. They showed how much strength they had in this show, super troopers indeed!

G

Agree with what has been written here these last few days, a few spectacular shows in a row. I was also less familiar with 3/30/90 than I was with 3/28 and 3/29. All three are spectacular, Nassau and the Knickerbocker were two great runs on that tour. Anyway, a testament to how consistently good that tour was from start to finish. The last great tour.

5/6/70 was another classic. Reading through what was on the archives yesterday, it looks like they put together a free concert at MIT to support the national student strike resulting from what happened at Kent State. I think the Bread Truck was Columbia University in 1968, the students were on strike there too, I forget why.. something obscure. Anyway, 5/6 was a great little show, the Morning Dew in particular shined.

Great picks.

As for Egypt, I haven't hit that in a while either. One night, probably 15 years ago or so I put the DVD on when I had people over asking about the Grateful Dead.. probably not the best pick for a bunch of newbies, but I enjoyed it. I think there are many good parts, it suffered a bit from consistency and Keith's piano might have been out of tune??

Anyway, you guys are on a roll.. and little by little I am getting caught up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Everyone call your mother, if you're lucky enough to still have her around.
And know she's thinking of you too.
Or at least play some Mothers of Invention.
Or like the corny commercial, buy her a bottle of Crown Royal.
Cheers
My pick is gonna have to be The Mosque vinyl today.
I need the workout, getting up to flip or change the record 10 times.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I swear on my dead mamas honor that I was thinking “maybe that was Columbia “ while I was writing that.
Remember, listen to that little third eye voice, it’s often the right one!

I wish I could call my mother, but maybe I’ll just have to spin Ry Cooder since Jesus is on the mainline, perhaps he can tell her how much we miss her!

GARY, the ole JBLs/subwoofer is gonna get a Philfercise workout from 42!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not sure if we ever hit this one, but it looks interesting. 6/21/89 Shoreline. This was a big pay per view show at the time. Clearance Clemons joined in the second set I believe. New 2021 Miller Pearson Healy is out there

Enjoyed the Egypt release. Yes, Bluecrow that Shakedown is really good. I also really like the Stella Blue. The Truckin is a little funky. Very early Stagger Lee, definitely gets better.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

There's a decent YouTube also. Good pick DVikes. I will at least be able to hit the highlights

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Can't wait for Philfercize (if I spelled that right). Have to be on Friday.

Wondering: I see posts from others to OB, I am guessing that is you?

Ahh, OB-wan. Teach Us!

G

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Have chimed up that I wish Dave would give the Shoreline Pay-per-view an official release. I have my old VHS tapes of the event. Usually watch the youtube instead ogatesf the tapes. But there is almost an hour of deleted footage. They start off by showing what it was like going thru the gates, and the strict security (yeah right). Maybe BTK could shed some light here as I have never been to Shoreline, huge mistake. Still would have preferred a Frost show. Any way, the area around the amphitheater is large enough to allow for a Shakedown Street within the gates of Shoreline. So there is a lot of footage of people shopping. Think I remember a prankster sitting there playing Deal on a lute during set-break. The Deal to close the first set is still my favorite. I think the next Deal was the Alpine "Down Hill from Here" which was about 2 weeks later. Great contrast between those 2 deals.

Come On Dave, give us a break. Release it. Or maybe meet up at the movies and then release.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Don’t take any wooden nickels…

(OB, Oro, whatevs, just don’t call me late for supper!)

Then,
Play Dead!
6/21/89: I remember watching this on pay per view with my young cousin, sneaking outside to “check the air in the tires” with such a youngin lol.
So FM simulcast watching on the tiny little tv I owned at the time as I wasn’t much into tv in those days, but with Big XR 7 speakers, powered by C 28/MC 2300 combo. I still have the tape I made, which unfortunately had too many of those annoying station IDs at the worst possible times! That and some bad tape flips etc. and I think I dozed off for a couple minutes near the end or something?
I was so bummed, but it did sound awesome!
The show itself I used to feel was sub par comparatively, no offense to anyone. It seemed like Bob was having a hard time getting it together for a while and Clarence to me was a distraction more than a sweetener? Honestly never felt any of these sit in guys added that much. That’s not a knock on the Big man or any of the guests, it’s just hard to play with the dead since their so unique in everyway. So to have to try and get inside with them couldn’t have been easy for “normal” musicians. I do really like CC on that Garcialive release from Popular Creek 89!! Think it was a lot easier for him in that format.

But over the years this show has grown on me, though compared to the rest of that awesome summer tour I still would rank it lower. But hey that’s like comparing an entry level Ferrari to top of the line: it’s still a Ferrari!
I think seeing it again on Shakedown Stream led me to a new understanding, like many shows over the years, so that I have a new perspective about it. So though Ive heard this one a lot, a new Healy/Miller is catalyst enough to give er a spin.
And yes Gary, Shoreline or the garbage heap as it’s know, is a pretty cool venue. Bill Gram of course made sure there was ample ways for you to spend money, so it does sorta have that Shakedown vibe, only inside the venue.
I still liked Cal X better though it was more bare bones and beat up. Something about the whole Cal X layout etc.
But alas, no Frost or Greek for me either : (
So nothing to it but to do it,
Rolling!

I must have missed this when it was a Shakedown Stream. I will have to go back and find it. Do you still have your recording OB? I think we finally disposed of your VCR maybe five years ago.
Hey, this is a good show and recording. Good first set, Hideaway, Box of Rain! I enjoyed Clearance in the second set especially towards the end with Morning Dew, Lovelight and the Brokedown Palace encore.

Wan:

I need to research your stereo set-up sounds excellent. I saw 9 shows at the Greek. Years and years later, it surprised me that the Greek was where I saw the most shows, followed by a lot of venues with multiple years/shows.

My pay-per-view of 1989 solstice is free of any interuptions and sound very very good. Did they use this on a Shakedown Stream? If they did, I went, sad but can't remember...that stinks. I did the PPV alone at home, highly medicated...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Yes, it was a decent set up for the times, old but clean and powerful. Big old woofers to quell the Philistine!
But hey, I lived at home again, free, had a 16 year old car, kick ass Bass and rig, and not much else! Which I’d do it all the same again, priorities my man, priorities!

6/21/89: as I stated, been growing on me over the years. 89 summer tour is a high bar to compare too, so I still feel like it’s more middle to back of the pack, but a good, interesting/different show to be sure. And yes DV I agree, CC gets better as things get going, especially songs that are more blues based i.e., Lovelight.
Thought the pull sounded really good, even on what I’m listening on at work. (iPad >>> Integra AVR >>> Sonance ceiling speakers)

So, since no one’s ventured a pickus, howsa bouta another Nitecat: 6/14/80 Spokane?
I know DV is always down with some 80!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That would be a Roger OB, Spokane WA, 6/14/80, let's do it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Full sounding audience, powerful Stanger to open the second set.

I'm treading water here, mostly keeping up and poised to get ahead of the game once more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

On a roll so how bout a quicky for extra credit?
This is another off of Dave’s list, so perhaps there’s more of it in the vault?
In the mean time, it’s Miller time!

6/14/80: another solid 80 show. Checked out the Miller for the first set and the Nitecat for the second, both sounded great! After hearing several 80 shows it’s funny/interesting how Jerry is still struggling a bit with Saint. He hasn’t quite found his solo groove yet. I remember Phil sorta same thing with Playing in 71. You don’t always catch this stuff but when I did most of 71 in a row last year it was fascinating to follow how certain players on certain songs sometimes take awhile to find “it”, what becomes their regular line on a song.
With Saint I don’t think it’s just a muff as I’ve noticed it on several versions. Cool sheet!

All good things…Jimbo
Don’t think the archive is going anywhere ; )

PS, I do still have my cassette tapes DV. Thought I might try to do something with it being first gen FM and utilizing the ML 9600, but it’s just to chopped up and with the archive not really worth the effort : (

EDIT: yowsa! Truly hope there’s more of 1/20/68 in the vault. That was a major tease!
Levels a tad hot, but from what little there is you can just tell this was a hot show.
Haven’t heard Clementine in awhile, very ABBesgue.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

1/20/68 is a new one for me. Jerry's vocal and guitar contributions are stunning.

Clementine
I don't know why, but this song gives me goosebumps. Perhaps because I cannot figure out the songs meaning and the melodies take on a mystical quality. Performed three times with three studio attempts and then dropped.

New Potato
Just love this song, always have. Frantic ending jam on this one and the ending crescendo is spot on, great segue into...

Born Cross Eyed
The sound of thick air. Another great tune off Anthem. Short but powerful.

Followed by a nice 12 minute Jam and three minutes of Dark Star before a reel flip

What's here is great, what was on the reels that did not survive, we will never know. Whatever we missed.. I have to think it was epic.

Enjoyed this show as well. What always amazes me about the audience recordings is the constant clapping and yelling out song requests. Such rabid fans, love it. Love these early versions of Far from me and a Big Railroad Blues. Nice Estimated Eyes and Lost Sailor SOC out of Drums . Great finish. Thanks for the pick OB.
Makes me want that Baked Alaskan Box Set.
My #42 finally arrived yesterday, so I have this going now. Sounding great so far, the Grateful, Grateful Dead.
Have a good one out there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hoping mine comes tonight

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

DV, they figured they punished you enough lol
So glad you received yours, now hopefully Jim’s will arrive!
I’ve only been able to get one listen in so far, but the other half is working this WE, so the electric bill is definitely going up, because those mono blocks will be pumping! Get a little Philfercise in!
It’s all pretty damn good, but that Other One/Eyes alone is worth the price of admission!

Well, for those that need something else in the mean time, I was thinking I’d finally get to the “other” 78 Red Rocks shows that I’ve not heard. Im interested because the vibe has always seemed to be that these were not so good, not as good as the ones released at least?
So if so, thought those blissing out on 42 will not mind missing? At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it ; )
So 8/30/78 and/or 8/32/78,
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Oro, bless your heart. I know 8-30,31-78 well and can't wait to hear what you all think of these two. 5 or 6 new or reworked songs and the complete opposite of the raucous, soaring end of the previous tour 7-7,8-78 shows. I think we were simply blown away that they wanted to come right back to that cool venue after recording Shakedown. Very much a surprise, almost unannounced turn-around. Not sure the tickets were even available by mail order for these. Place wasn't even sold out I don't think. I have never found another Deadhead that has tapes of these either, but I'm sure somebody taped it. I'll bet a local taper Deadhead Ed from Crested Butte was there! And Rob C. and my buddy Wheels too. You guys still out there? Two shows so I better get busy. Not quite the hat trick as I'm finishing The Mosque vinyl this AM.
Cheers
Edit: My 8-30-78 ticket stub says $8.25 (including $0.75 tax) + $0.60 service charge. And our cheapest beer possible choice back then was a case of Blatz longnecks for $3.99. The deposit on the bottles was more than the beer at $5.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hope you get yours soon Jim. Do you have an ETA? If you continue to have issues you know where to find me.

It is spectacular!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Looks like tonight. Hey.. I'm in it for the weekend, good enough for me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Should go to Wilfred. His birthday I think. He's always helpful and informative. Thanks Wilfred.
And cheers!

Any feedback on Aug. '78 Red Rocks? Just curious.

5-15-?? For tomorrow works for me. Let us know.

How about today!

I was thinking about 5/7/77 Boston Garden of nothing comes up. I have not listened to this show in a while.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That's pretty easy, 1981 Rutgers. I'd go with 1977 St. Louis, but I can't deal with the incomplete St. Stephen. 1970 FE is too obvious. 1980 Nassau is also tempting. I wonder how much of that made it on to Go to Nassau. Anyway, Rutgers 1981 if given the choice for me. Preferably an AUD or matrix recording. :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Rocks 78 part 2: after first listens I thought the 30th was a dud, and the 31st was better, but not spring 78 better.
But that didn’t seem quite right and it was nagging me. So I decided I needed to poke around more, including another go round.
Second time, at home, under better conditions all around, things were like they often are: not as good or bad as you first thought, if that makes sense? Sure these can be a tad understated compared to say, the July shows, but they often have that more west coast energy, compared to some of the manic conjured energy, ahem, that could be evident in 78, though there certainly are peaks and flourishes. And yes there are moments of misfires/miscues, but that can be found in almost any show.
Anyway, as I sat and was able to more enjoy and get inside the music and vibe today, and get more of what makes these shows. I’d call them good if sometimes inconsistent? I’m sure these were the had to be there type shows, ala Hartford 83, Hampton 87 and 89 etc. that perhaps don’t fully translate from recordings?
The new songs are pretty tight for firsts, the board pulls we’re decent, the aud sections ok but sometimes suffered from crowd exuberance.
The highlights for me were; the Ollin Ageed jam I’ll call it as it’s not the fully formed song and no vocals via Hamza etc.; and the biggie was World to Give! Man I love that song. It’s like Believe it or Not, such a shame it didn’t take. But at least we have three versions and this one’s not perfect but pretty decent for a first. JG gets into it, in fact there are many outwardly obvious instances during these shows where he gives it the extra power drive, both vocally and on guitar.
Yeah these are kinda sneaky shows that can perhaps get glossed over and missed, definitely worth furthur review!
Perhaps not spring 78 good, but that’s just a theory?
Though I’ve been fortunate to catch many post GD shows at the rocks, I can only imagine how sweet it must have been, especially back then when shows many places didn’t always sell out, or often not until showtime. I’ve been to shows there that were not and again, can only imagine how chill it all must have been, especially before word got out and it became a thing. Used up much of my listening time lately, but the situation called for it, and the situation is the boss!
Sometimes ya just gotta poke around…

WTJ with the audible from deep in the heart of Bong recreation, 5/15/81 sounds bueno!
Mañana amigos!

EDIT: Dooaahh, ment to add but forgot: Bill had broken his hand before these shows so that certainly had to affect the feel and grove of these shows. It makes sense that the first night seemed ? at times as this would have been first gig trying to deal with that and how it would of effected all of the band.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Insightful Oro! Thanks! That World to Give gave me chills remembering how heartfelt Jerry delivered it. Standing on the Moon makes me feel like that too. And don't get me started on Days Between, already welling up.

Boston 5-7-77 makes you remember why these boxes are so vital. Every show a winner in Get Shown The Light.

Onward to Rutgers. Which lead me to another 5-15 that I don't know, Greek '83. Quite the guest list with Airto & Flora. But what really hooked me was Billy Cobham sits in on the Drums segment? Wait, what?

Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

:-) 83 Greek slipped my mind. I have Space rolling right now. It's a long one with valued guests, too. Healy's B-day no less (and no soundboard available?)

'93 Vegas slipped my mind, too. Any others?

Anyway. Rutgers '81 packs a punch. Little surprised no Lazy Lightning for the light show. Eyes, Jerry grabs on to a riff and runs with it for almost half the song. Bob comes up with a part, too. :-)

-edit- Wait a second,..............................if 5-15-83 Greek is HEALY'S B-day, so is 5-15-81...and it's his today, TOO! :-) DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....slaps head.

Happy Birthday HEALY :-) :-) :-)

-edit 2- Caps added. My birthday is in Dec. :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Hey,Happy Birthday WTJ.

I will get the 81 show going.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Rollin!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My mistake. I must have seen that post in Dec. about 5-15-81 and misinterpreted your birthday comment.
Either way we got 'er done, and Rutgers indeed packs a punch.
Like your cat avatar WTJ. Two of my five have been black cats and they are not unlucky.
Good Sunday on 'ya!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Taking a side trip for Winterland '74. The box that could have been.

I wonder, would this have been better as a box set or are we well served seeing these shows (mostly) released as Dave's Picks?

After ripping, I rearranged the songs to the correct order and spliced together the 'best' sounding versions of the songs on 2/22, again putting in the correct order, etc. (major pain in the...). So in a sense, I have the box set we were all asking for 5 / 10 years ago (or more). Hat's of to mhammond, the first one I recall asking for this to be released as a box and the one who asked for a WOF Box Set. Coulda shoulda woulda..

In any case, I'm doing down the rabbit hole.. holding my nose now and jumping right into the deep end. I'll at least high the highlights of the shows mentioned here too. Hope all is well with you guys (and gal?), have a great rest of the weekend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It may not be my birthday today, but it's still a special day because it's both drummers' birthdays. :-)

P.S. Got all the persistent bikes!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Moraga, California May 16 1969

In August 1969 the Dead played for 300,000 at Woodstock. Three months prior to that they played a gym at Campolinda High School. I’m not sure that was such a good idea. It sounds like a night of bad acid and problematic acoustics.

Well, we always did forgive the Dead their missteps. The recording itself isn’t half bad, but the music itself is challenging to listen to. Garcia sounds like he’s on another planet, and I don’t mean that in a good way. Doin’ That Rag is a mess. Pigpen tries to step up, but stumbles badly during this very early version of Hard To Handle. The drummers flail away beneath the chaos. Where’s Phil? Weir’s Me & My Uncle seems to work best, which says a lot and captures the weird essence of this very unusual show.

We all know that the Dead played some sublime shows in 1969. This is the other side of that coin. Yes, I got it out of my hard drives, listened all the way through (hey, I should get some brownie points for that!), and then dutifully refiled it back into my hard drives. Even “bad” shows can be a valuable reference point for the good ones…………….

At high school, some got the Grateful Dead. We got Aerosmith, who played our fieldhouse before they were famous. LOL that was the biggest thing to ever hit little Wayland, Massachusetts……..

Doc
What I remember most about high school are the memories I created with my friends…..

The first 4 months were incandescent - but from May onwards the shows seem a bit more variable to me. New material and a different approach creeping in - Rome wasn't built in a day. The extended Lovelights are a bit of a chore, too. Probably alright if you were there.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Okay WTJ, not your birthday, but the Rutgers show is really good. Very good sounding recording, not perfect, but it delivers. Strong start with Half Step into Franklins, I never get tried of this opening. Nice Dire Wolf, Jack a Roe. Second set Scarlet Fire, great versions of Estimated and Eyes. Great finish, BP, US Blues. Definitely worth a listen.

Jim, yes, the February Winterland shows are great. #42 sounds as good as #13.
Glad you got yours.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Cats on using us as warm furniture: 1st cat Roxanne (Soyzie), the only one we chose, said meh, would rather lay on the dog's tail or try to curl up next to her belly. And it was the dog's 1st cat too so some whimpering and sidelong glances ensued. 2nd, Jezebel (Little Bit), a kitten found living under a dumpster and would hide from the sounds of trash trucks and UPS her whole life, not much of a lap cat but did prefer to be near. She was scarred by a tough early life. 3rd, Delilah (Li-Lo) Japanese Bobtail stray who could jump to the top of 6 ft. fenceposts. Independent at first then took to the lap readily. 4th, Dinah, (The Kitten) pitiful scrawny stray vet said 3 days from death when we found her eating spiders and bugs at an unused rural bus station. Would not do the lap until she saw Delilah do it and said hey wait, get off my human. Would sit on the arm of the chair. Adapted to between your seated legs but just could not do the lap. 5th, Phoebe, local stray, all in but not until the others had all passed. Now a dedicated lap lover who demands a good chin scratch too. That's a 40 year compendium of feline unconditional love. Thanks Crow Told Me for the reminder of how good that is.
Cheers
Oops again! Meant to post this on the 42 thread on the pets discussion. As you were.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

So true. If you let your house get cold enough.. they all become lap cats. We've got two, both will take a warm lap on a cold day, first one to jump up gets the warm seat. Hot summers, not so much.

Just finished the first complete listen to 42. This show is not a stranger to me but it's funny how many new catches I found on this listen. In truth, it's been a while since I listened last so it's not surprising I am getting lots of nuance with this listen, but still.. a solid release. Next time I am going to listen to the whole run start to finish. That would make for a good weekend project.

So I have a little catch up but I'm back on track.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

5/15/81: decent show, unfortunately set list was real similar to several shows I’ve recently listened to.
Guess I’m just suffering from burnout?
5/16/69: with Docs intro I was expecting something way worse. I didn’t think it was THAT bad?
Loved the GMLSG, only Pig would open with that at a high school dance! I can just see the “adults” getting nervous in the corner lol. The comments on archive are great: several from folks who were there. Favorite is about the Principle not letting Garcia smoke in the gym, tossing his axe in its case and storming off to smoke, priceless! Or the guy who got to burn out back with Jer in his beater car. Fun stuff.

Tried another round of 42, but the world conspired so only superficial. Glad Jim received his and has been digging on it!

Today thinking I’ll try 4/3/82 again. Started this yesterday but again, wasn’t able to get a good listen. Sounded like I need another shot so that’s where I’m heading. This is the last show from spring tour that I’ve never heard before.
ONWARD

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Missed your post yesterday OB, but yes, 4/3/82, Virginia, let's do it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

4/3/82. I admit I looked at the setlist. What no Promised Land in Norfolk? Imagine, no El Paso in El Paso. Guess it's too obvious.

Isn't this the show after Jerry and Phil switched spots on stage?

Another Scar>Fire, Estimated Eyes right after we called up 5-15-81. 'Twill be fun to compare. Back in the day for me, 4/3/82 was considered a unique and somewhat storied version of this particular pairing.

:-) :-) :-) all and Have a Grateful Day! :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Looks to be another gem hiding in the Spring of '82. I am going with the August 2018 Miller. Looks like it was Dave Schools 1st show, two weeks and a day before mine. Just checked out a few songs to pick the best source, man.. Jerry could shed some emotion when he wanted to.

Nod to Oroborous for mixing it up.

aack.. it's that nail on chalkboard demonic slide guitar again. I think the rooster won't crow for day because it's owner kept him up all night butchering the slide guitar.. again.... Other than that.. very pleasant so far.

Edit: Love mid 80's Let It Grows. Checked out the venue, looks to be another space ship in the general Hampton, Norfolk, Newport News vicinity. The Pentagon should include this building and the Hampton Coliseum in their UFO investigations. Would have loved to see the dead at this venue.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes WTJ, I’m pretty sure this would have been the second show they switched sides? I don’t think they had at any of the early 82s, and I saw them that way on 4/8&9/82. I’m at work or I’d look it up.

I’ll have to replay some of that Rutgers show to get a better take. Most of May 81 that I’ve heard is hot. I still say 5/17/81 was one of the best of the year, but I’m extremely biased on that one. Jerry was so loud and fired up at that one.

I think they purposely didn’t play “obvious” stuff just to mess with us lol. Like outta 8 Buffalo shows we saw, I believe we only got Truckin’ at the 7/16/90 show.

Yeah, ooopps, here I’m whining about similar set lists and burnout on some things and I suggest a very similar set list to 5/15/81 with a S>F>E>E>D/S>NFA etc, at least there was a Never Trust A Woman for variety lol.
JG does have some scorching moments, and yasss, alas, Bob once again just had to torture a live cat on stage, harumph.

Not sure it’s quite up to some of the later shows of the tour, but seemed like they were warmed up and ready to rock after the 4/2 “warm up” show. Often the first show was a gamble: often they’d approach the first tour show they way I often approach work Monday’s! or you might get a real burner if they were really itching to get at it?

Hoping by now most everyone has gotten 42, and the weather is changing etc, so I know folks have stuff going on.
So I’m going to hit the other bookend of that fine Nassau 90 show DV picked recently and check out 3/28/90.
I figure for those busy, behind, or still in a 42 coma with drool on their chin won’t mind skipping this one.but if not, looks like a sweet Cutler pull down mixed from multitrack. There’s a Healy too, but I’m curious about the Cutler.
I’ve been critical of his live mixing (too clean and quiet) but I always thought he mixed the Dead best in the studio.
Whatever one feels about the music on In the Dark, to me, the mix/sound on that one is the Gold Standard!
So for those who need working man’s dead, 3/28/90, for the rest of ya, onward, and we’ll see ya on the flip side!
Forward, never straight!

The Scope, I think this would have been a good place to see a show. 4/3/82 is another fine April 82 show. Can you imagine if Dave gave us an 82 Box?? Okay, not this year.
The recording for 4/3 is outstanding, really enjoyed it. Great first set, the Peggy O, CC Rider and Birdsong are well done.
Another solid second set, Scarlet Fire, Estimated Eyes. Interesting second set Never Trust a Woman. Great finish.
So 3/28/90 sound good to me OB. I think I will go with the official release from the 1990 Too Box Set

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I haven’t had a good listening session in days as work has had no flow with too many distractions. So I’m going to finish 3/28/90, and re hit some of those 81 and 82 shows.
Schlater!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

3/28/90, another great spring 90 show. Nice call OB.These three Nassau shows are so good, well okay, the whole tour is A+.
We get a High Time in the first set, great Queen Jane, Loose Lucy.
Second set Foolish Heart, LLR, Cumberland, The Weight, Hey Pocky Way. HPW is such a rocker. Love it.
Nice transition out of space into TOO and a Revolution encore.

Looking at going back to 82 with 5/23/82 Greek Theatre. Let me know if guys have any interest in this one.