• 7,807 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

• DeadVikes

Did you say 79 OB? I think I have poked around a bit during that time period and noticed a lack of SBs. Reminds me a lot of 1980, where the SBs are lacking. Hey anyway, I will check out some of the audience recordings OB. Nice job and bring on a 79 Box before we all get too damn old.

No shipping notice yet over her for #50.

• 1stshow70878

Did the first set again this morning.
    Love it! Seems like a show where the 1st set might be as good or better than the 2nd. Nothing wrong with that though.
    Have not met a '78 show I didn't like.
    Cheers

• Oroborous

5 3 79 thru 7 1 79

Dedicated to GODV!

Tour starts out decent, but nothing special.
    Every night seems to gel until late first set on 5/7.
    From then on things take off, especially with the second set Shakedown opener.
    The next 2 nights, 5/8 and 5/9 are the shin dizzle!
    Both shows are ripping good! Only Auds, but not bad. Don’t let that keep you from enjoying these hot shows!
    Bill Ricka I heard before and didn’t need to rehash.
    The twelfth is good, and Maine perhaps better to close the tour.

6/28 had Aud first, SB second, but not the best show, a bit mellow compared to the previous fireworks. Similar on the 30, but ending on a better note, and a nice HS matrix on 7/1. Probably the best recording of the bunch, but again, the 8 and 9 are must hear shows if you dig 79!

5/6/84 thru 6/14/84 up next
    Onward!

• TN John

4/22/78
    Today's the anniversary of this show.
    Peace

• DeadVikes

Love Dave's 21. One of may favorites. Sound quality is A++.

6/10/73- I think may third time through this show and it is so good. Probably my favorite at this point from the box, but I need to listen to the other shows some more. That Eyes is wild. Some really interesting work in the last part of the song. Of course the third set is really fun.

Hope that tracking for #50 hits soon.

• daverock

Speaking of shows that bloom in the presence of shorter songs ( although 4/21/71 may not actually be that particularly), Daves 21 - 4/2/73 is a good listen. Beautiful playing, but for the most part within the confines of more structured songs.

• Forensicdoceleven

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was RIA on 4/21/71. The force was with them. Or was it something in the water? Similar in tone to its hard rocking predecessor Cortland, but with “expanded content”, this is an underappreciated, quasi-classic that actually doesn’t get talked about a lot outside of “1971 aficionado circles”. Things get nicely weird early, five songs in they laid down the big jam sequence, followed by a wonderfully crunchy Hard To Handle. Things continue crunchy in set 2, with a non-drum solo Good Lovin’, a nice NFA suite, and an unusual two song encore which is sweet AND rocking. Highly recommended!

Rock on rockers!

Doc
    I frequently hear music in the very heart of noise.....

• 1stshow70878

At least that 4th disc.
    Saw Dickey with ABB twice.
    Mile High ('74), Red Rocks ('89).
    Cheers
    Diggin' the That's All Right!

• JimInMD

Sixtus' birthday also, if my memory is correct. Good choice. I've only got one listen from that box. Fingers crossed that keeping this short get's it through.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

It seems like Bob's guitar drops out of the mix as the show goes on? Which is a fairly big problem. May be the case for next night also?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I can't get to it today BC. I quote have to unquote stick to official releases. The universe is currently pointing me towards 12/28/79 and I have it lined up. If anyone has anything else official I should call up, or another direction I can point I have a lot of time with the FLAC player today. Thanks.

Stay Grateful all and :-) :-) :-) today. :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Just background music, not a deep dive. Got distracted by chores.
12-28-79 A six night run in Oakland. How could one survive that much fun? Sugaree start is unusual.
9-20-74 Love the Mars Hotel era setlists.
Good picks! Cheers! Remembering family veterans this weekend.

I'm not a rafter but I got to do the Upper Salt in AZ when I worked for R.E.I.
Rode Maytag rapid like Slim Pickins rode The Bomb in Dr. Strangelove. Front of the raft waving the free hand like a bronc rider (still peaking about then) as the 15 foot wall of water with a curl coming back at us came up. Most of the class 3-4 was mellow that day as the river was high that spring. My only raft trip. Unforgettable.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Sorry, another diversion, but had to chime in: Been a while since my canoeing daze. Did a memorable Ponca to Pruitt run on the upper Buffalo River in Arkansas in February (BEFORE the river was declared a Nat'l Scenic River and became a Six Flags affiliate). It was a dazzling winter day following a couple of days of snow – ice stalactites chomping down from frosted limestone bluffs. My girlfriend and I were the second canoe to let a then unnamed rapids flip us – remember changing to "dry" while standing naked in the snow. In 22 years since I've been in west Texas, I've never made the Rio Grand's Santa Elena Canyon run, and now the river's dry as a bone. The times they are a changin'.

er, Tim. You guys will be just down the street. Wish the situation was different I’d come meet up, but the situation is the boss. TIP: the weathers been a little seasonal so I highly advise warm and waterproof gear! That amphitheater is a relatively unknown jewel, in some ways I like it better than the Rocks! Should be awesome time!
So glad yer still around and doing well! Don’t be a stranger!

5/26/72: did the first half at work, and that amazing second half while FACing. Proper!

WHITEWATER: unfortunately only three times. The Cheat in WV at peak, The Numbers and Browns Canyon on the Arkansas during extremely big water, and the Arkansas through Royal Gorge early season, but we ended up swimming after playing a gig and up partying all night.

5/25/95: rolling as we speak.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

so good it left our Senator speechless

me? I'm "speechless" 'cause a musical eagle landed in my mailbox on Saturday and only discovered it just now!! holy guacamole!!

hope everyone had a solid good fun weekend all things considered.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

A bit behind. I had my TB IPod out over the weekend and tried to hit 9/20/74, but did not have my reading glasses and selected the show in poor lighting. So I made it through To Lay Me Down before I noticed I was listening to 9/18 Dijon.

I'm gonna try this again today (after I finish TLMD, I just love that tune)

Onward..

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Looking at 7/2/87 from Rochester today. There is a Miller transfer from 2021 out there.
OB might be interested in this one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Interested to know thoughts on this show. Jim being particularly predisposed to 1974 (aren't we all somewhat) I'll watch out for his comments more keenly. Alas, another 'officially released' day for me, so maybe I'll hit VFTV IV and something else jammy I think. Yesterday for me it was 11/10/67 and 10/12/84 twofer. The primal stuff really packs a wallop. Best wishes all for a Grateful Day! Jeff :-)

P.S. Traffic lights (to pole or not to pole) and Motorcycles?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Speechless, not this frog mouth, more like a day late and a dollar short!
5/25/95 was enjoyable though. Not sure I have the same enthusiasm BC, sure ya had to be there, but if I had been, I would of been pleasantly surprised by the playing etc. Just goes to show there’s good GD to be found elsewhere.
Ok Stranger and Bertha. Not sure how I feel about Schoolgirl? Nice novelty, and they did ok with the different arrangement, but not sure if I like the arrangement, er, not sure how I feel about messing with ghosts of sweetness past? Made me fell kinda dirty lol, like we was cheating on Pig? Decent Cassidy to close.
Second set, Though it was good for the times and definitely not bad, I wasn’t able to quite get as much as you out of it, BUT, that Drumzpace was a real doozy! Overall solid show and I’m glad we checked out something completely different!

9/20/74: another of thus not as bad or as good as you may have heard shows. Overall I found it to be mostly status quo 74. Definitely noticed some occasions were someone was, a, ahem, getting a little ahead of the rest of the band, some rhythmic fluctuations etc, but nothing was as bad as one might be led to believe by some of the reviews or even comments from inside the organization over the years.
I don’t recall many stand out big highlights either, except some nice weirdness and jam outta Truckin’ Oh, and that Scarlet caught my attention too, sweet stand alone version! Another I’d not heard that I’m glad we did!

7/2/87: ok DV, rolling. New pull sounds good! FYI, there’s also full show on the tube of you.
Don’t recall much: really really crowded, hell that whole tour seemed overcrowded, except for Canadaland (killer S/F).
It was first time at an old ball park in the middle of a neighborhood (old school), so quite the scene. For the most part the locals were into it selling beers and partying on their front porches.
It was one of those extremely muggy mostly cloudy Great Lake summer daze.
You could feel the lectricity in the air, er, maybe that was sumpthin we snorted ; )
Think we were left side of SB? So sorta left if that video? Big blur…
Outta the 14 shows I saw on the spring and summer tours, this one might be the best?
The energy was big at this show (listen during Bertha!) huge, cranked crowd with beer trucks on the base lines for good or for ill? Alpine, here, and worst of all Foxboro, things were just getting too big and crazy, so didn’t hit any of the fall shows. Didn’t dig the venues they picked and thought that would just compound the crazy madness that happened that year when they hit the big time lol.
Do remember the Step Back and “Who do you thinks playing bass” banter.
This one really gets mixed up for me with the next year? Cept the Green Onions of course!
Think I’ll have to check out some of these on blewtube this summer, thirty five years ago…where does the time go?

Still haven’t had time for RT 1.3, and those shows WTJ mentioned are temping too!
Might be able to sneak 11/10/67 in later?

'87 was my most "abundant" year for shows, lots of sweet memories, and 7/2 was really fun to listen to and right in that sweet memory space. Great Pick DV. Second stop after Alpine and kick off for the East Coast leg. 12 song first set - that's a lot and they're having fun. A Dire Wolf!! Esau, Push, Tons of Steel are all songs firmly associated with that year in my brain and all just fine with me. The Brown Eyed Women is really late in the set to my mind (I love that song), and a Cassidy > Deal to finish!! Very nice '87 China > Rider to open Set II. He's Gone is always special. Going Down the Road is an unusual treat \ coming out of space and wow its into Watchtower (3rd ever). I well remember the electricity of the opening riff at Alpine - Holy Mother of Goodness. And then Stella Blue. A beautiful version. For a long time I've been really dug Stella from that era (another great version is Park City 8/20 later that summer). And Black Muddy River for the encore, another song that I really like and that is firmly in that '87 place. For me it was '88 where the scene felt way too crowded at Alpine (and at Buckeye). My only complaint about the tape here is that there were some dudes who would not STFU in the right channel of the audience feed for the matrix. In real life I would have lost those guys quick.

Not that we need to follow a '87 with an '87 but I just noticed that there is a new (to me at least) Ultramatrix of 7/6/87 Pittsburgh, show where the Nevilles dropped in. Last I checked there were only audience tapes in circulation. I definitely need to check this out. That was a fun freaking show (Caution - Driver Listening to Hot Shakedown).

Oro - nice that you lent your ear to 5/25/95. Of course on some level you had to be there and I was on a John Deere time machine with the headphones traveling back to that. The Jerry I saw and heard during those shows was nothing like the one I saw less than 2 months later at Soldiers Field. he was happy, very present. And yep, that Drum > Space was a freaking doozy. And into the final Wheel (a very special place in my heart and life for The Wheel). I would love a SBD upgrade for 5/25. Just listen to the suggested the "extra credit" which was the SBD from first half SET II first night 5/24 which was first broadcast on the Grateful Dead Hour but is available on relisten. Zero in on Want To Tell > Estimated. Very fine and beautiful sounding.

And that Avs - Oilers game sounds like it was a shootout at the OK Corral. Wowza.

Enjoy the day folks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Forgot how good this show was.
Hit that 11/10/67 too. Proof that there is good primal dead in the vault!
So hopefully someday we’ll get a primal box?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Glad you guys enjoyed this one. A walk down memory lane for OB, or maybe a partial walk. Yes, the talking during the show was a tad bit annoying Bluecrow, but agree the music was great. What a first set.
The scene definitely changed when Jerry came back post coma, but we still had a blast, it was just way more people. Would love to say more about the my time at Alpine 86-89, but I will save that for when the big box comes out. Shoot, most of you all on this tread were there as well most of those years. So, I am up for more 87 Bluecrow.

And when do you all think we will hear about the 2022 CD box set?
I am thinking late July.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Did seem to flatten out a little after the initial hoopla etc.
I mean it was already growing steadily, but 87 it was really noticeable.
After, when the initial trend slowed and they had to clamp down on merch and camping to attempt to keep the locals who weren’t there for the music away, it did seem to subside a bit. Plus, If you knew where to go some places weren’t as bad, by the standards of the times anyway.
Hell watched the same thing happen with D&C.
First year of Boulder, Folsom field (+50K) was half full. By 2019 it was damn near full, and I think 2020 would have been packed if not cancelled. Much of the same vibe too: folks who were interested, but not necessarily in the know and still many there just for the party.
People like to dump on the Touchers, and some where clueless, but to me it seemed more just the huge number of people that showed up without tix, or locals just there to party that fucked it up. Unfortunately, that aspect of the scene seemed to get worse…it just got too big for us to self regulate, and the poor band of course didn’t want anything to do with telling folks what do, about anything lol, but they tried, fairly and tactfully in true GD fashion.
Yeah, massive stadiums and ball parks etc, quite a difference from the old beat up 8-10K seat War Memorials up and down I-90 we started going to in the 70s, hell some places wouldn’t sell out, or not until showtime.
My first show was at a small theatre (3K), my last, Soldier field, what 60-70k?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Test

reCRAPTCHA is preventing me from posting a typed message. I copied it, logged out, logged in, pasted, but still got denied.

conekid - I had that happen once with a lengthy post. Best I could figure was use of the word "yah**s" which was close to something you might find in a certain lynq. Took that out no luck and no matter how I reconfigured and rewrote the post it would not let me pass. I too gave up. Somewhat maddening. Though the problem being solved is real, whatever detection system they're using seemed like a blunt instrument.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

sounds like its a go then DV with 7/6 and Nevilles and a "newly" circulating Miller transferred ultramatrix? for years I figured a sbd of this show would never see the light of day. surprise surprise surprise.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I finally finished 9/20/74 and for extra credit fit in 9/21/74 for context. I like 9/20, it's very Jerry and Keith centric, the solo's are bright and inventive and there's some high moments. In Let it Grow, for example, Jerry and Keith are both going at it during the climax, both firing on all cylinders and having an active conversation bordering on argumentative dialogue. You can hear Bobby play at points, certainly in the beginning of WRS, but I agree.. he is almost lost in the mix which is unfortunate. There is also some interference on their turn on a dime well oiled machine.. some are turning on a dime, others on a penny and others yet on a quarter. I think in Skully's book he mentions there were opiates involved at this stage of the tour, but I certainly wasn't there and I doubt if anyone else is talking about that. That's my take.. another good show but there was some interference, haze and a lost bobby that make their mark. Both the 20th and 21's were most enjoyable to me. The start of Morning Dew on the 21's is so subdued.. it's like, oh.. did we start, yea.. well, let's not fire into this too quickly, we don't want to wake up the baby.

As for reCrapatcha.. I think they have some sort of history tracking in your posts, something that once a no/no character is placed in a post, they will never let you send it no matter how well you clean it up.

Frustrating, there's some bad code in there that they don't feel any need to clean up.

I'm out and about today so unless a show is already loaded in Podzilla (which 7/2 and 7/6/87 were not) I am not sure I will be able to partake. Perhaps I can catch the highlights tonight.

Onward..

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Iron City Phillies start looking good. Sounding great so far Bluecrow. Nice call on this.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Has become one of my favorite shows. Such a great energy from start to finish. One of the best Shakedowns IMHO

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Good show!
Wasn’t sure I was in the mood for Neville’s/guests, but yeah, great energy, good for the work at hand aka banging my head against the wall today!

Shakedown goat, easy now!

Curious if anyone has heard the Roanoke shows? Can’t recall why I didn’t go, but BOO469, and Burnout etc went and said the scene and the shows were awesome? Never checked them out as I was afraid they’d be real good and I’d be bummed I didn’t go lol.

Hitting 4/5/82 for extra credit, hey, my head ps not gonna bang itself!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

On the road around midnight after escaping Pittsburgh, stopped in a rest area and was chatting with some heads who asked me if I was headed to Roanoke. Nope. Major mistake. Word later was both shows were excellent. When I first landed in this hot stinking desert got to know a sweet gal from Virginia who saw both. She was downsizing her collection and gave me some tapes from Roanoke and 88 Spaceship Hampton among others. Been ages since I've listened to Roanoke but I was pondering those yesterday at the same time I saw the upgrade for Pittsburgh.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

glad folks enjoyed this. the ultramatrix is pretty darn good, a very welcome upgrade, and this was one fun show. Desolation Row is a definite first set highlight for me. Over 50 shows I rarely drew the Shakedown card, only 5 times (first at UIC 4/10 that year). All the others were show openers - this is the only one that is burned in my brain. Phil's base line at times is crazy (listening on the Sennheisers this time around I was like wowza Phil) and the whole thing had this ever building electric tension that Jerry's scat singing brought to this sweet let er rip peak. Whew. Jerry is tearing it up on Samson. Having the Nevilles show up was like a dream, even more so as they dropped into the Banana Boat from Iko. Great Drums > Space into a Knocking on Heaven's Door that was sublime and beautiful. Still remember the lights as band and guests drifted back onto the stage - blues and greens. Seemed like Dylan himself might be out there before they started singing. This is the first Knocking by the Dead without Dylan and maybe the only time it wasn't an encore. Again, whew. A special night.

I've mentioned this story before during an earlier POTD listen - I left Chicago at something like 5 am to drive to this show. Got a speeding ticket coming into Ohio from Indiana when the speed limit dropped from 60 to 55 I think ( not on the Interstate and i was going like 62) and if the Statie had known I was heading to a show I'm sure my car would have been disassembled. A long day's drive. Found the stadium by following cars with heads in them. As I wandered the lot prior to showtime I saw this bumper sticker -

Caution - Driver Listening To Hot Shakedown.

Ironically it was after that speeding ticket that I decided it was best to remove all Dead bumper stickers from my ride as they occasionally attracted unwanted attention.

I definitely want to check out Roanoke at some point - the second set list from night 2 really got my attention BITD. Simply loaded. I mean - Space > Crazy Fingers > Trucking > Comes A Time ??!! Are you kidding me?? As before not saying it has to be now . . . .

Happy Friday everyone. Onward!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Yasss, did enjoy that Shakedown, and the Banana Boat song was a fun highlight for me, fit nicely into the flow.
Did not know that about Knockin, just figured it was because of the Neville’s as they seemed to always do that one when the Neville’s were visiting.
Have noticed Phil playing extra melodic during these 87 shows we’ve hit. Sounds like we need to hit Roanoke, perhaps next week we do a twofer?
Since no pick today, and it’s Friday, and almost summer depending on where you hale from, how bout a summer show from 6/25/92? Cool guests and summer tour fun, perfect to get the WE going and thoughts of summer!
Been meaning to hit this one for some time but waiting for right vibe.

OHIO STATE PATROL: gulp, yeah, too many close calls over the years. Unfortunately many of the touring years was when the limit was 55 (god how lame that was) and those bastards would pull you over for like one over the limit, and yeah, they loved the “full cavity search”. Funny, once you were in Indiana you good fly, but not Ohio. Things are a little different now, but I still don’t like cruising Ohio, no offense to our fine Ohio bros and sisters.
Funny, did the same thing with my stickers after a narrowly averted tragedy in Maryland. It was after JGB 89 at Merriweather. Long story short, total BS profiling as we weren’t doing anything illegal!
Luckily, the douggie houser punk ass prick who pulled us over didn’t know who he was dealing with. In my prime channeling Neal years road warrior, and luckily, a reasonable veteran cop came along and eventually shut down juinor.

After that, I only had one of those earth stickers with no writing etc, so you really had to be in the know.
My car after that I only had a Cats Under the Stars sticker, again no writing and not too obvious.
Nowadays, no identifiable markings as cops are out of control (probable cause, WTF is that?), and besides, I drive too damn fast. Hey, it’s one of the good things about living out west!
Love the folks who blatantly drive around with 420 this and weed leafs that etc, wonder how often they get jerked around?
Imagine if the cops actually went after REAL bad guys instead of most of the non critical chicken shit BS that they waste most of their time focusing on? Ahem but I digress.
K, happy Friday amigos!
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

sure thing on 6/25. '92 was a gap year - my only tickets were for the big deal anniversary in Veneta which got canceled just prior. very much a disappointment though no doubt Jerry really needed the recupe time.

Went back to DeadBase to be sure my memory was good. First Knocking was encore with Dylan on 7/4. Then 7/6 out of Space. After that Heaven's Door was always an encore, except for 7/24 with Dylan when it was last song of Set II. Last time played 7/23/94.

A good friend totally rebuilt a 21 window bus back around '90. Found it abandoned in the woods of NC with a tree growing through the roof (I think). His work was impeccable. A thing of beauty inside and out. It was all lit up so to speak - no doubt it was a Dead Head vehicle. Drove it cross country to Eugene in '93. Never got stopped once, on that drive or any other time. I marveled at that. It was like it had a cloaking device when it came to John Law.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I haven't gotten to this show yet, but I was there. I have a little catchup to do..

I listened to the Oade bros audience way back but more or less pushed it out of memory because the audience tapes were a little too punchy and noisy. (I know, I know.. booo hooo soundboard snob, sorry for that)

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Back in the 80's I used to have one dead sticker on my car, a stained glass looking sticker that just said Grateful Dead, from this one sticker I learned to never put Grateful Dead stickers on your car, you are asking to be pulled over, searched and taunted by the cowards who call themselves cops. I don't know any cops, but I did meet a few and they were all assholes.

That was one of the ones I had on when they went fishing on us: long and skinny, believe it had rose vines intertwined with letters? It’s not like I had the full billboard going on either, just a few. Dancin bears on the back probably what did it.

6/25/92: decent show, but was a little disappointed. Everything was good, just felt a tad reserved, especially considering at a big stadium with special guests. Thought I heard it was, which leads to expectations, which leads to disappointment lol.
Also, Had to switch to an aud GASP! (just kidding) because the headphone mix they were using for SB wasn’t balanced enough and way too dry. This show felt much like the ones we saw that tour, though I think pits boig on the 22hd was good. Another decent but not mind blowing show.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I don't typically keep track of this sort of thing but there seems to be veritable shit ton of newly uploaded (relatively speaking) Miller mastered and transfered SBDs. many many Pearson / Healy Ultramatrixes, and I noticed at least one in '94.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

With 2/27/77 Robertson Gym last reel coming back, does this make this the only 77 show with no Soundboards in circulation??.... Listening to set II right now... good set list.... Have a good weekend everyone. bob t

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Fillmore West June 5 1969

As far as official releases go, the Summer of 1969 is certainly underrepresented. One wonders why? Although there’s not a lot of classics---if any---from this period, and while the playing can sometimes be uneven, the shows are almost always at least interesting, many with unusual song sequences, big jams, nice versions of the “recent” Aoxomoxoa material, and early versions of Workingman’s material (although many hadn’t quite found their true footing yet, the kinks needed to be worked out lol).

It seems that this show never gets talked about, but it’s solid. Powerful Dew to open, Weir channels his inner cowboy early on, the band pays their respects to Mark Spoelstra with a long, soulful Friend Of Mine, greasy Hard To Handle, stand alone Charlie, nice CE/TOO/CE to close out a gooey, rockin’, psychedelic first set.

Our heroes kick off the second set with a solid China Cat transitioning nicely into Sitting On Top Of The World, leading into the classic Live/Dead big jam sequence. And big it is!

Miller’s remaster is very nice, perhaps some day this worthy concert will be Normanized and unleashed on the world!

The June 69 Fillmore West run was quirky is as quirky does, check it out!!

Doc
Oh, the summer night, Has a smile of light, And she sits on a sapphire throne……

There are definitely quite a few new upgrades and new SBDs showing up in the last couple of years and I hope they keep coming. The Pearson Healy combos are usually really good sounding shows. Do you think most of these are coming from Healy?
Hey Bob t, yes, the 6/4/77 show from the Forum, not sure if a SBD of that show will ever show up, but it would be a great surprise.
Okay, 6/5/69, I will try and get this one in soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Rolling!

EDIT: nice little show. Can’t add much to Docs synopsis. Thanks for another old school nugget!

Bob T with 6/4/77: Rollin’ for extra credit!

Anybody up for hitting Roanoke 87 tomorrow for a two fer Tuesday?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Sure thing, though I may well need Wednesday to complete that.

Enjoyed 6/5/69. Thanks Doc! low-fi listen on the laptop speakers but still feel the power. someday with the Senns.

Oro - I agree that 6/25/92 band and guests not quite in sync / hitting on all cylinders. Schoolgirl seems like the principals are trying to figure out what the others are going to do and it never takes off. A little bit better on Watchtower and Lovelight. I really was digging the sound of Cotton's harp and given the special opportunity of a legend of his stature on stage the featured songs needed a whole bunch more of his harp playing IMHO. Miller didn't really seem to cut loose either, unfortunate also. Overall I think Jerry was sounding a bit fatigued. But I have no doubt that the Gloria encore would have blown my hair back. Enjoyed hearing So Many Roads though they stumbled into it out the Wheel. So Many Roads is such a beautiful tune. I only heard it live once - that last night at Soldier Field in '95 (16 rows out pretty much DFC) and it was so very powerful.

And as a side note re Schoolgirl - I have no idea what Bobby was thinking with that new arrangement he sang in Seattle in '95. I was puzzled then and puzzled on recent relistens, It simply doesn't work.

edit - and damn Eric Nesterenko died today. Legend. Played over 1000 games with the Blackhawks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Are you thinking 7/8/87 OB? I am in.

Thanks. Keep the train rolling. We need some action on this site.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DV - I think both nights 7/7 and 7/8 for "two-fer extra credit" but only the second night available as a SBD, and interestingly its not listed as an Ultramatrix.

Good question as to who is source for all the new Ultramatrixes.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I can fit these in today, it's raining which puts me indoors.

I've been in the mood for an oldie, pre-released show that I have not hit for a very long time. When the battle is fought and the victory is won for 87, any interest in livening up the middle of the week with 2/23 and 2/24/68 at Kings Beach Bowl, Lake Tahoe?

I'm in the middle of a big outdoor project and I don't always have my devices loaded with everything from the archive. I guess I should start using relisten on my phone.. but I purposely separate myself from my phone or it's quite possible (probable) I wouldn't get stuff done. People have a way of finding me when what I want most is to remain lost.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Wow, just finished the seventh. My buddies weren’t kidding. Bet the laid back fun scene and not the big stadium/Dylan/press BS gave them a chance to relax, let loose and enjoy.
To me, you could sometimes tell right from the get go, and this one gave me that impression.
Great Aud that enhanced the vibe. Playing, set list, and vibe all wonderful.
Yep, can’t believe I didn’t go with those guys! Besides the great shows, I hear the pool party was worth it itself! Not sure why not, but in hindsight, I think I would have dug Pittsburgh and Roanoke better than Alpine?
Ce la vie!
Ok, onto 7/8 though I’m not sure I’ll get it all in today.

Dicks 68: not sure I’ll do those at work (streaming only : ( , but thier due so at some point this week I’ll fire that up!

user picture

Member for

1 year 10 months

Hello good question brother from androtekno.my.id

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Dri

Good to see Dri back online.

Gave the 7/8 SBD a shot. I will have to check out an audience as I was not feeling the SBD. Will have to go back and check out the 7th. Both shows need some upgrades. Hopefully there are some out there, love the energy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

What Oro said. On from the get-go - Finiculi-Finicula into a ripping Mississippi Half Step. '87 Jerry (which I really dig) at his finest. And whole band is there with him.

Went with the Dave Cohen source on the headphones. Really nice sounding pull.

I was reading in the comments on the Archive that these shows were added on to the tour - no mail order.

How’s bouta 4/7/78 from that great Spring tour. Something with a 7 in front for some variety.
More on those wonderful Roanoke 87 shows later…(if you like 87 and haven’t heard them, YOU MUST)

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, sounds good to me OB. I have never heard this one. Will get it going tomorrow.
Thanks.
Yes, 87 is hot.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think y’all did 3/19/77 awhile back and I missed it?
So going to forge on with that.
Hopefully I’ll get time for the discussion part of these last few shows…
ONWARD!

Nice show, great recording. This is one Pretty Petty-O, I would surely Marry-O. Tight, powerful and fun. If I had a complaint, it would be that they did not seem to leave the solar system in the second set. The Terrapin>PITB>..., ...>PITB tango was fun but walls remained rigid and nothing melted, exploded, imploded and nobody was walking bow legged due to an alien abduction. First world problems, I realize. 78 has a lot of those, and post drums seemed to be shorter overall.

Still, excellent show, most enjoyable and a great pick.

I might relisten to the PITB and see if perhaps I missed something.. I was sanding and finishing some cabinets outside and that part of the show transpired just about the time the 14 year old ignored the no ball in the house rule. Predictably an errant lacrosse ball went through the front door window. If I hadn't done (almost) the exact same thing myself when I was his age, I'm guessing I would have been pretty pissed off.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey enjoyed this show. Great recording. Longer first set for this time period. Yes Jim, Jerry hits it nicely in Peggy O. Great Minglewood, TMNS.
Enjoyed the second set, the finish with NFA, BP, Playing reprise. JBG.
Good pick OB.

Thinking of going back to the PNW box today with 6/24/73 Portland. Let me know.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

June 22 GD Bulletin just hit my inbox and at the end there is this:

"1969? 1992? 1987? In Pick of the Day, With Discussion, the spotlight seems to be turning to Roanoke, 7/8/87, so come on down and join in."

To which I would add, if you're just tuning in - Welcome!! And don't overlook the first night at Roanoke, 7/7/87, cause it smokes!!

Onward!!