• 7,807 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

• DeadVikes

Did you say 79 OB? I think I have poked around a bit during that time period and noticed a lack of SBs. Reminds me a lot of 1980, where the SBs are lacking. Hey anyway, I will check out some of the audience recordings OB. Nice job and bring on a 79 Box before we all get too damn old.

No shipping notice yet over her for #50.

• 1stshow70878

Did the first set again this morning.
    Love it! Seems like a show where the 1st set might be as good or better than the 2nd. Nothing wrong with that though.
    Have not met a '78 show I didn't like.
    Cheers

• Oroborous

5 3 79 thru 7 1 79

Dedicated to GODV!

Tour starts out decent, but nothing special.
    Every night seems to gel until late first set on 5/7.
    From then on things take off, especially with the second set Shakedown opener.
    The next 2 nights, 5/8 and 5/9 are the shin dizzle!
    Both shows are ripping good! Only Auds, but not bad. Don’t let that keep you from enjoying these hot shows!
    Bill Ricka I heard before and didn’t need to rehash.
    The twelfth is good, and Maine perhaps better to close the tour.

6/28 had Aud first, SB second, but not the best show, a bit mellow compared to the previous fireworks. Similar on the 30, but ending on a better note, and a nice HS matrix on 7/1. Probably the best recording of the bunch, but again, the 8 and 9 are must hear shows if you dig 79!

5/6/84 thru 6/14/84 up next
    Onward!

• TN John

4/22/78
    Today's the anniversary of this show.
    Peace

• DeadVikes

Love Dave's 21. One of may favorites. Sound quality is A++.

6/10/73- I think may third time through this show and it is so good. Probably my favorite at this point from the box, but I need to listen to the other shows some more. That Eyes is wild. Some really interesting work in the last part of the song. Of course the third set is really fun.

Hope that tracking for #50 hits soon.

• daverock

Speaking of shows that bloom in the presence of shorter songs ( although 4/21/71 may not actually be that particularly), Daves 21 - 4/2/73 is a good listen. Beautiful playing, but for the most part within the confines of more structured songs.

• Forensicdoceleven

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was RIA on 4/21/71. The force was with them. Or was it something in the water? Similar in tone to its hard rocking predecessor Cortland, but with “expanded content”, this is an underappreciated, quasi-classic that actually doesn’t get talked about a lot outside of “1971 aficionado circles”. Things get nicely weird early, five songs in they laid down the big jam sequence, followed by a wonderfully crunchy Hard To Handle. Things continue crunchy in set 2, with a non-drum solo Good Lovin’, a nice NFA suite, and an unusual two song encore which is sweet AND rocking. Highly recommended!

Rock on rockers!

Doc
    I frequently hear music in the very heart of noise.....

• 1stshow70878

At least that 4th disc.
    Saw Dickey with ABB twice.
    Mile High ('74), Red Rocks ('89).
    Cheers
    Diggin' the That's All Right!

• JimInMD

Sixtus' birthday also, if my memory is correct. Good choice. I've only got one listen from that box. Fingers crossed that keeping this short get's it through.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

We danced, laughed, and got our blaze on at both of these shows. They hadn't played Roanoke for 13 years when 1987 rolled around, and even though I was stationed at Ft Bragg, doing my 4 years as an enlisted infantry paratrooper with the mighty 82nd Airborne Division, I wasn't going to let this show pass without being there.
I still remember driving in to Roanoke, on 581, and having some dude in a car pull up beside us at 70 mph, and making the universal sign for Uncle Sid, by touching his outstretched tongue with his finger as he looked at us through our car windows. We were used to being under Uncle Sam's constant watch, so we just laughed to ourselves, and waved back.
I distinctly remember a very emotional Candyman, as Jerry had only recently recovered from his diabetic coma the year before, and it seemed that his rendition had all of the weight of a funeral procession, but of course, beautiful and endearing at the same time.

2/4/79 - Dane County, Mad Town. Final weeks of the Godchaux era. There's a new Clugston audience available. Sampled it at Shakedown Set II opener and it sounds pretty darn good to my ears. Had a chance to see this show, buddies had a ticket for me, but, oops, took a pass on it. Maybe had a big test or something, maybe just screwing up, maybe both.

Edit - Oro, the Great Dane Box, so many good box set names available, just need the box sets themselves, e.g. Box of Rocks, Baked Alaska ..... and I had that same crazy thought re Roanoke release.

Now, just riffing here: as we’ve noticed a ton of Healy/Pearsons, especially some 87s being added, BUT, not these awesome Roanoke shows? Perhaps their saving em for a release sometime? Hey, just a thought ; )

But speaking of since I’m totally just f@#$&&ing off at work today (SLACKER) LOL
Let’s finally discuss those (hope I can remember).
7/7/87: right outta the gate has that “it” vibe and never really looks back. A Finiculi, Finicula always a good sign, sweet 1/2 step, even the Walking Blues which can sometimes be a buzz kill is good. Candyman, Esau, Push, all good of course Bob has to get the wanna be cowboy fix in, followed by a Bird Song, which I think was killer, but having trouble recalling, with a spirited Promised Land, not just a quick and dirty time for a piss and a drink version.
Unusual West LA set opener, , and it’s got a Cumberland, and a hot second set one to boot! Overall good but nothing unusual second set including a good but I wouldn’t say great Dew? Splitting hairs as I’m sure it was great if you were there, which I can’t believe I could have been but wasnt, Dooaahh! I’ll have to call BOO469 tonight and get his memories as he burnout and company were there.
7/8/87: starts out with a ripping Bucket and good Sugaree, and All over now to keep things rolling instead of some buzz kill Bob ad nauseam blues repeat. I took that as another sign that they were into these shows.
Duprees I seem to recall was maybe not quite as tight as the rest but always a fun ditty. Even Good Times seemed above average in the band vibe department. Masterpiece good but perhaps not comparable to what it and all the Dylan tunes Bob hit hard in the late 80s? A nice Big Railroad which I don’t believe git a lot of play then so a nice surprise, followed by a sweet Let It Grow!
Second set starts with a good if not mind blowing S/F, Estimated and Eyes, but we get a really nice Crazy Fingers outta space and then another pleasant surprise of Truckin to give that late energy boost. But then yet another pleasant surprise, Comes A Time as the boys seem like thier trying to one up each other with the crowd being the winner!
Rock Star Bob to bring it home, and a nice Muddy River to bring folks back to earth and out into the night!
Wow, if you didn’t know you might find it hard to believe this is 87, but 87 it is and perhaps at its best?
I saw 14 shows from spring and summer and kinda got turned off. I mean I liked em and as always had a great time and glad I went, but? Part my BS, part the scene, part expectations. So between that and not digging the only big east coast venues on the fall menu skipped the rest of the year, well, bad on me!
Yeah I’ll be checking these out again fo sho!

4/7/78: from the newly discovered (for moi) great spring 78 tour. Good show with many hot spots, but comparatively to what I’ve been able to check out from this tour so far, I’d say this one is more middle of the road. So far that sweet surprise that was DaP 37? one that I was nonplussed, until I heard it! Is my benchmark, that and others from middle tour of the awesome sounding Beatty board variety are perhaps the cream of the tour (much more research needed) but that’s like comparing Porches to Beamers.
Since there’s complete Beatty’s in the vault, I’m thinking we’ll get a box someday, but as always who knows when/if?
I mean ole Dave seems to get easily distracted by birds and things lol, so can only imagine how he gets in the vault ; )

3/19/77: gave this a superficial listen. Believe y’all did this one awhile back so thought I’d sneak it in while folks catch up and/or wallow in the 74 majesty that is DaP 42! Got a decent full treatment in on that last week too. Man that HCSS and disc three are fantabulous!
Ok, hoping to skip out early so might try and hit 6/24/73 and/or Dicks 68 at home with a ice cold summer brew as it’s gotten hot hear all of a sudden, as is often the case here.
Hopefully Mr Jimmy isn’t working too hard on those cabinets or playing ball in the house ; )
Happy Friday amigos!
ONWARD

OH, if your out there Mr Smith, is it warm enough for ya yet lol, stay cool and have a great WE

Edit: BC big time son, big time as The Hawk used to say!

DBL Edit: Pearlysbeentrue, nice to meet ya, thanks for stopping by and contributing. The more the merrier!

Triple edit: BC, I hit that one not too long ago researching my Great Dane Box. (have to credit VGUY with the awesome name). Like all the Dane shows, it’s a good one, for the time at least if not more? So I might pass and hit Jim and DVs picks, but definitely check it out and report back por favor!

user picture

Member for

15 years

Hello David,
I know we are not to request for a specific show to be released and I understand that would be overwhelming. So I’m not going to do that. I going to lobby for a general geographical area ! And that is southwest Virginia. And to clarify SWVa has little to nothing in common with Northern Virginia or the Tidewater area. We are the beautiful and rural part of Virginia. 4 hours from DC and 4 1/2 hours from Williamsburg. With that said the GD played here 4 times from 1974-1987. Three times at the Roanoke Civic Center and once at Virginia Tech. Pick any and all !
The 74 show was a real trip. The civic center was only about 1/2 full but that 1/2 was ready and tripping. It was a great night for Roanoke. It was my 8th show but it was the first for a large percentage of the crowd. The US Blues>Jam>Promised Land was primal. They had done similar sequence a month before in Miami but we didn’t know that. To this day when I hear that jam in the sequence it makes feel like I’m hearing some organic primal stew brewing. Tribal !!
I’m a Hokie grad and Blacksburg is sacred ground around here. So in 1978 when they announced this show we were over the top. And it was a different story this time. The place was packed to the rafters. They were VERY popular by then. I was fortunate enough to see the two FOX Theater shows earlier that week. Just listen to TOO>Black Peter and tell me the boys were not ON this night. The whole show is smoking. A couple interesting side notes we relayed to me by friends on the concert committee. The band got to Blacksburg a day early and a couple of them came out and saw our Hokie baseball team play. Also another committee person took Jerry and Bob in a VT van to a Roanoke theater and they saw Saturday Night Fever. He said on the 45 minute return trip they talked about the movie and it’s music. Those are second hand stories but the people that told them to me had no reason to lie. Something I saw with my own eyes was during the “percussion” segment of the show when all band members were on stage I saw Bob beating on Jerry !! Weir had drum sticks and started playing on Jerry’s back. Jerry looked surprised and then started laughing. One great night for sure.
We had to wait 9 years for them to pass our way again in 1987. By now they were HUGE !! How Roanoke got two nights in July right in the middle of stadium season is still a mystery. This time GD mania and culture took over and overwhelmed out humble little hamlet. It took years for our city fathers to get over this event. But the band did come to the Star City (huge star on mountain top above coliseum) and boy did the band play. Check out Morning Dew as an example of just what a meltdown occurred those two nights. We were blessed and we knew it.........those were the days my friend.
Hopefully you were able to find time to read my scrabble and as I said earlier, I’m not requesting a specific show but I/we think it time for some love for the mountains of SWVa 😉. I saw Jerry 101 times from 1973-1995. These shows hold their own with any I ever saw.

Thanks for being a great keeper Of the vault and the flame.

PLP in Rocky Mount, VA Go Hokies !!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Riverdog

How'd they find us? We've been found out..

Clean this mess up else we'll all end up in jail
Those test-tubes and the scale
Just get it all out of here
Is there gas in the car?
Yes, there's gas in the car
I think the people down the hall know who you are.

Oh, it's just the Grateful Dead Bulletin. Never mind.. as you were.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

A rimshot on the drum for Jim!
Nice "Stealie" Dan reference.
My POD just became my long forgotten vinyl of the Aja album.
Finished second taste of DaP42 yesterday and realized my mistake on the first run through.
More volume was necessary!
Cheers on your weekend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Well duh, that’s what happens when every A frame has your number on the wall!

“More volume was necessary” nice!

RIVERDOG: thanks for joining our little party!
But a, Dave’s not here man!
No, the inmates most definitely run the asylum here…which is nice!

Looks like I will be stuck inside for a while. Have we ever hit 10/31/79? I can't remember, but I think this would be a good show to check out again.
This Nassau run would make a great box. Three great shows, throw in Providence, and the two Spectrum shows and you would have a winner. Yes. I know they 'releaed" 11/5 and 11/6 as downloads, but most people don't have them and 11/5 is a top five show in my book. And I know they released that crazy Scarlet Fire form Nassau as hidden tracks from Dicks 13, but it would be great to have it as a full show. Would to see some variety and this late 79 delivers that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Okey dokey Smokey!
Not exactly sure when, but it’ll be next up on my Dead listening fo sho!

Hit most of Dicks 68 for FAC and then select cuts of about half of 6/23/73 Friday night which was awesome!
They both were perfect vibes for the situation, cause as we all know, “the situation is the boss”
The 68 for the Friday energy, and I guess I was really jonesing for an Alligator!
The 73, especially that disc 3, was perfect for first night being able to party on the back patio!
Like a light switch, it’s gotten warm. So the stars aligned: warm out, almost full moon, new comfy patio chair, fully stocked on summer beer, with a sonic collage of spacey dead, all kinds of night birds and critters etc, and the sweet sound of the creek as it’s full run off. Fortunate that our “backyard” is so vast and beautiful (our yards only about 20’ , but beyond is open, mountain rimmed valley. So with the moon this WE its prime time! Perhaps we’ll hit some of that 79 at the pa-teh on da patio baby!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Reporting in. This show is freaking great and should be released if there is a clean Betty Board to be had. Want that humble opinion clearly understood upfront. Maybe part of that Great Dane Box ; )

Like Oro wrote about 7/7/87 - sometimes you know the band is on from the get-go. The opening MIssissippi Half-Step > Franklin's Tower kills it - just a great version of Franklin's. Other 1st set highlights are a beautiful Peggy-O, a stellar Friend of the Devil (always something I look for), and a sweet sweet sweet Lazy Lightning > Supplication closer with Bob and Donna locked in on the vocal exchange. Of note - Donna's singing is really solid throughout the show. You would never guess this is less than 2 weeks til the end of the Godchaux era. Jerry's singing also noticeably emotive. Phil is very much on.

A great Godchaux era Shakedown to open Set II. Samson. Heart of Me. Terrapin > 18+ min Playing. Great laid back Iko out of D/S > Jerry doing his best mournful Black Peter > rocking Around. The US Blues is a solid send off into the February winter night.

The Clugsman audience has a good hall balance for the time. Some talkie and clappy folks are an occasional minor issue. One thing seems apparent in all that - a good time was had by all.

Final assessment - I def screwed up in not seeing this show. And it wasn't the last time I'd do that unfortunately.

If 7-7-87 was good check out 7-2-87 another one must hear from the opener to the end from that era show of quality performance and good set list - is there a good copy of the show ? not really the best copies are sharp with lots of crowd noise, why ? humidity and rain - afternoon concert outdoors with ohio valley and lake effect rain all morning in Rochester ny area - the digital recorders of the era couldn't operate well and the tapers got less than great copies for most palates , i love it - even if the tapes are just good they show was great

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Weidrich

WEIDRICH: nice to meet ya!
Thanks for stopping by.
We actually hit 7/2/87 recently here on Pick of the Day with discussion, and everyone seemed to have a positive overall consensus!
As I was fortunate to be at that one, I can understand your interesting comments about recordings vis a vis humidity etc. It was most definitely one of those Great Lake sweat fests! But man the energy was off the hook!

2/4/79: I knew you’d like that one BC! Yep, it’s easy to second guess all these years later lol, I’m sure everyone thinks about the show(s) that got away, sigh…unfortunately, my understanding is there’s no tapes for these early 79 shows, but who knows with all that’s happened last few years? That Dane box would be sweeeeet!

Ok DV, 10/31/79 Rollin. Ha, Phil sounds wrecked when he first starts telling folks to step back etc, ah, the Heineken years!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Let me know what you think OB. I really enjoyed this one and would love to see the whole run released. They just really seem to be stretching a lot of songs out during this period. Yes, what in the world went on at these shows with the crowd.??
Add in all the new material from Terrapin through Go to Heaven and you get a lot material. Recording is great until it goes into an audience patch during Wharf Rat.
Okay, I need to go back and check out February 79 at Dane County.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yeah we loved 7/2! That was the start of our sonic journey to Roanoke via Pittsburgh. FYI in case you aren't aware there is fairly recent Healy Ultramatrix of the show now circulating thst sounds really nice. You can find it on relisten or the archive.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Monterey June 14 1969

How about a Lovelight sandwich? It’s huge! Subway would be jealous……………

The Dead are still a bit of a west coast cult jam band, so here we are in a gymnasium again. It’s not the Pigfest that Moraga was, but it’s still very fine and very enjoyable. It clearly demonstrates that not only could the Dead jam out on their psychedelic magnum opus Star, but they could do it backing Pigpen’s blues rave-ups.

Plus it has another cool version of He Was A Friend Of Mine……………

Scott Clugston put out a very nice---and pitch corrected---remaster of this unheralded show last December. We should be grateful, and it’s worth a listen. And while it may never be officially released (there’s a couple of edits), it does reveal that, given modern sonic technology, some Summer 69 shows are potentially releasable……………………..

So what are they waiting for????

Doc
I’m a couple sandwiches short of a picnic…..

6/14/69: I’m in!

10/31/79: didn’t get a good listen, but most of what I heard I liked!
Don’t recall much of the first set standing out, perhaps the newish Sailor/Saint, but the second set definitely had some big moments. Seemed like the medication factor both helped and hindered at times? I’ve always liked it when they get a little over the top and taking chances. Sure the slop quotient can go up, but more so the X factor and interesting directions and variations.
That’s how this cool Shakedown seemed to me, as especially noteworthy near the back of the jam if you listen to the unique sorta one note pounding foundation that Phil’s laying down. It’s a good representation of the sort of full throttled boozey, cocky, machismo vibe that permeates much of this show.
Sure it’s not pristine, but it’s what makes this a great Shakedown.
Same with Passenger. Not always pretty, and Bob fumbles early, but full on roaring R&R!
A nice Ramble On in an unusual (non 70s) second set slot, followed by Estimated Eyes. I like that Bob hasn’t started to scream so much in Estimated as the screaming nonsense has not aged well for me at least. Funny I never realized just how much screaming went on BITD. But unfortunately today it is sometimes hard to take, for moi anyway.
Perhaps one of the coolest parts of this show for me was the sweet jam outta Eyes, with a drums/space perhaps more indicative of the future than the status quo? That whole sequence was a highlight for me, landing in yet another Rat, but Bob brings it up again with another of those aforementioned rowdy and jammy rockers, Truckin, which ends up being the big closer. Of course a rowdy rockish night like this needs a R&R finish, and what’s more R&R than JBG!
Interesting show, good, but not sure I’d call it 11/6 or 12/1 good?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It would be interesting to nail down precisely when they started in tunes like LL Rain, Estimated, etc. Was it a gradual thing or did it begin in a specific tour or show?

To the archive! :-) Stay cool all...

Misty watercolor memories...

Just sittin (on top of the world) here.

Reflecting back 35 years. Sitting on the rail right in front of Jerry. Dosed to the tilt. Only around 3,500 present, beautiful late spring day. Palm trees swaying, fronds crackling with electricity. Very nice show to reflect on...as is the whole weekend.

Been spending a pretty good amount in deadbase. Just a wealth of info. Sometimes, just chasing rabbits and thinking statistically. Just in case, thanks to John, Stu, Mike.

I remember getting the two big binders xeroxed, pre-publication, and just spending countless hours reviewing and playing fantasy dead.

Hope Dead & Company have a great show tonight. Thought about PPV but show wont start until 9:30 my time, I am too old for this sht. I am sure I will grab one or two PPV before all over.

Dead and company have now placed a + in their logo, good job. Way back yonder, in days of old, when trade was by camels and caravans, that is what company meant. Caravan. So by adding the plus sign the fellas are giving an inclusion of the travelling caravan, the heads who keep pushing this bus forward.

Saw 3 panic shows a couple of weeks back. Then ordered 3 PPV/on demand of the same weekend with Phish. Just a lot of great music. Really noticed on Phish, wow, average age is late 20's to early 30's. Was a bit shocking to me, especially seeing the one old deadhead there. Man, more power to you Sir!

G

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

6/14/69: another hot but dirty 69. Recording a tad oversaturated, but not bad and a fine 69.
Thanks to Doc for being our primal concierge! Boy it’s a shame they didn’t break some of these tunes out years later: Doin that Rag, Friend of Mine, and not here but Mountains of the Moon etc. can you imagine, well at least Phil broke em out eventually. The Eleven too! Interesting early Dire Wolf, sounds like Bobs sitting out and Phil’s playing very basic accompaniment. Cool sheet Mon.

Gary, you talking bout Ventura? Bet those were fun. Only got there once working Futhur tour in 96 but I was Dead dreaming the whole time. Can only imagine…

WTJ: I’d say the screaming started long before those. Maybe it was because of Janis, or, seemed like it was a thing early on in rock, and hey I’ve heard those Lysergic sugar cubes can give ya a real energy boost too. I think maybe they got Donna doing it too? I also believe I read somewhere once that Bob got all into primal scream when that was a “thing” BITD? But that would of been probably more around when those songs you speak of came round?

I’m sure it’s an acquired taste, and BITD there were times when I loved it. But sometimes…not so much.
Really it’s just more nowadays as at 60 it doesn’t resonate like it used to. An occasional short blast for affect is one thing, but sometimes you think “unless he strokes out he’s never gonna stop” LOL.
Good ole Weir, always good for a laugh, it must of been fun hanging with the crew especially when they picked on the kid!

Wish I had something else on the short side lined up. Don’t think I could get a full show in?
Oh well, perhaps hang it up and see what tomorrow brings…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ok, maybe not over the top rock and roll screaming a la a vintage Minglewood, say 5-15-70 or earlier. I'm more thinking about when the effeminate yelping began in tunes like LL Rain and Estimated. He wasn't pulling that kind of stuff in earlier incarnations of at least those 2 tunes, so I was wondering if anyone really nailed down when those sorts of antics started or was it more of an evolution. He doesn't do that kind of crap anymore does he? Sometimes he can sound to me like Will Ferrell's Harry Caray impression. I forget which tune it was that I hear that in, but it's definitely 80's/90's. :-P

I'm a recovered bobslideahateaholic. After years of therapy, I have finally embraced Bob as the artist and songwriter he deserved to be. In truth, my favorite Bob days were with his Gibson ES-335. The slide and Ibanez never fully gelled with me.. as for histrionics, I think they started with Not Fade Away circa early on, thinking late 70 through 71 might have done the most damage to his vocal chords.

I don't know man.. but at this point, I think he fully deserves his seat at the throne. I have forgiven him for years of slide abuse and yelping that outside of pornhub and the Jackson Five, has never been captured on tape before or since. God love'em.. Bob is ok with me.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Weir screaming on St. Stephen, on Aoxomoxoa, sounds great. Also with Pig Pen on Not Fade Away is a knockout.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

what a freaking screamer of a show. awesome pick. thanks DV.

went with the Dr Goodseeds matrix.

also really enjoyed Doc's rec of 6/14/69. sounded sweet to my ears.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

There are some early Pig Lovelights where Bob's screaming at the end is pretty much unlistenable to me. Some early NFAs are a close second. Not sure how he didn't permanently mess up his vocal cords way early on. And for the record, I have no problems with Donna on Playing. Not even close.

I have no issues with his later theatrics with Estimated, etc.

I think it’s like many things: there’s a sweet spot. Sometimes it works just right, sometimes he just goes too far.
I think that was part of the challenge for DG: she was a singer, used to quiet studio with monitors etc, Bob wanted her to scream and/or she had to in order to hear herself.
Hey I love Bob too, but he can be fun to pick on!
7/2/89 video with barrettes and short shorts anyone ; )

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

His singing seems quite impressive to me in 1971, especially on the more country style material. Not a fan of his rock ' roll singing so much, or his blues/soul attempts. Like Donna, a bit shouty in 1974. But as the jamming went to the moon and back it's a small price to pay.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Don’t think we’ve ever hit 12/12/73. At least I know I haven’t.
That is unless someone is hot for something other?

That works for me. I was hankering for some rowdy 83 or 85 too.. all good things in all good time.

Thanks guys for keeping it going. It's been a really weird two weeks here for a host of external reasons that are completely out of my control. Mr. Toads Wild Ride.

Be good all, and a sincere thanks for being yourselves and providing the soundtrack.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Remember those posters people often had around the office etc with a kitten hanging?
Well, sending a psychic one your way buddy! Can send psychic hugs too if need be ; )

73 today, with something rocking from 83 or 85 mañana to go with the Friday energy?
12/12 has some fun sound check stuff on it and the Miller sounds pretty good.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Sounds like a good idea, I have never heard this one.
Glad you liked 10/31/79 Bluecrow, this run is really hot.

Hang in there Jim!
Bad waters over as well, which I think we are close to the back end.
Stay well all.

yep ventura, as i think back it may be the best venue i went to. Just all around awesome.

No cops no dea.

I sailor outside was saying loudly, help me smoke this, i have to be back on base soon. He had an ounce, we stayed for 15 minutes or so. Eight miles high. It didnt take him but maybe 45 minutes to an hour and he's gone.

Then one guy was holding up above his head a 12" mushroom. Had to buy that as we were heading to Berkeley after those shows.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I wasn't able to fit this in. I did make it through the first half of 12/12 though. The first Peggy-O. Get the Miller with the soundcheck songs.

I'll get the rest of this in tomorrow and with a little luck, 10/31/79.

Jerry singing Sleigh Ride? Get autta here. What a great sound check.. hope we get an official release with sound check as the bonus material, this would be a good one.

Love Ventura.. made it there once. Would love to go back.

OB, told the tale of hang on baby on the 42 thread. It's been a wild ride.. I'm a big exhausted.. love the kitty w/ claws in the branch reference. It's not too far from truth.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Best wishes and best of luck for you, your Dad, your brother, the whole family.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Good pick OB. Yes, enjoyed the sound check, those can be fun.
Sound quality was good, would love to hear an official Norman version at some point.

Early versions of Peggy O, always good.
I could be wrong but I believe they debuted this one two days earlier on 12/10/73, which was also part of the download series. Really solid show Eyes Dew!

Did I hear an 83 pick for today? What do you have for us?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

With all this Ventura talk lately…
Newish Eaton supplied SB available.

Looks like might be short show so 7/31 for extra credit, please show your work! ; )

EDIT: Dooaahh, forgot about 12/12/73. Long interesting show, cool/fun sound check stuff!
Fall 73 always good, but perhaps this one was a tad laid back comparatively?
Maybe just this trying to listen while working situation mucking up my perspective?
Now that doesn’t mean I didn’t like it etc, just they all can’t be the best, and this tour arguably one of the top GD tours ever, well, not being number one doesn’t mean much then. What is the best of fall 73, pphhhhh, I’d get a headache even trying to start thinking about it lol. 10/19, 11/11, 12/18 or 19, their all pretty damn good imho.
But yeah, early PEGGY just for Jimmy ; ), I love those early Love Each Others, sure the “regular” versions are awesome, but these early ones are so fun! Playing etc, and that cool sequence from GSET onward. Of course Bob just has to play Uncle damn near every show lol. Yeah, cool set list, from cool show, from one of my favorite tours! Sweetness!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Did we ever do the Santa Fe shows here? It's super high on VGuy's lists.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Their real, and their spectacular!
But we can go there, or wherever you like amigo, It’s a buck Jimmies choice my friend.
You call the play, I’ll run the pattern!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Let's stick w/ 7/30. If I get a chance for extra credit, I will hit up Santa Fe.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Definitely hit those when you can, VGUYs right on bout those!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

While watching the US Open.
Bound to be a Me & My Uncle in there.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Rolling! Thanks. Enjoy the weekend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Did catch 7/30/83 but no time to discuss, though I’m curious what y’all thought?
Been listening to other stuff and really digging this new GarciaLive 18!

ISTSHOW: curious how you liked those 83 Sante Fe shows?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Aud. from a friend of the 9-11-83. Good reliable source of quality shows. Poor recording but thoroughly enjoyable. It had the Mexicali reference to Sante Fe I had remembered. Wispy outdoor sound like windy? Reminds me of the poor Telluride tapes I have. The energy was great! Wasn't this a Grateful Dead Hour clip not too long ago? My friend said the taper was chiding his friends for not going after Red Rocks.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

All righty then sports fans how bout 10/12/77, with a 7/12/87 chaser?
Following my anniversary methodology of this year being 2’s and 7’s…and 10/12/77 is a new one for moi, so a, I mean, why wouldn’t ya?

ISTSHOW/Santa Fe 83: VGUY turned us onto these and I loved em, top shelf 83 fo sho! Glad you liked them!

EDIT: if our ole buddy GOGD we’re still hanging round he’d be able to answer that lickity split, but alas, he went away and left our dead ass here by the side of the road.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

In for 10/12/77 OB. A little fall 77 in Texas.
Can't make any promises on July 87, but I will do my best.
7/30/83- Decent recording. Funky Esau. Great Sugaree, not your uncle's Truckin. I got my start with live dead with 83 tapes. So many different lives these guys lived. Love it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

On the DaP42 thread. 1-22-78.
Only my second listen.
Damn, I love '78.
Always looking over the edge of the abyss.
Cheers, and happy summer!
Dance in the streets if you feel the need.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yep, the 83 was ok, funky sound, mostly really high end and on Bobs vocal the Eaton version?
Cool trucking, but your really gonna love Truckin from that 77 show. Whole shows good, but that last section after drums is stellar! The 87 was good, especially the first set, but it’s sloppier than I recall?

Cool story about Canyon lands. Been there a few times and the Needles, think we off roaded to some remote Native sites? Awesome trip! Never been to the Maze though.

Four winds blow to an old buddy that we got into plenty of mischief and a few Dead shows together BITD.
Unfortunately he had issues that manifested over the years and he was not living a good life. Supposedly he passed in his sleep. Hopefully he has peace now. Here’s to The Weasel!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks Oro. Appreciate it. Here's to the Weasel as well.
Guy from Gunnison BITD (Les Lloyd?) was an amazing solo hiker who had done a lot of time in The Maze and had a map marking all the springs where water could be found. I believe he did a lot of climbs there too. I too have not gone there. Takes some commitment that I certainly lack now. I do have a copy of that wall sized map of his though. 5ft.x 4ft. topo 1: 62,500 Canyonlands and Vicinity, Utah 1968. I wonder if they even print those big boys now. Made a great college wall hanging under the filtered light from an Indian cotton tapestry hanging from the ceiling. I can almost smell the Columbian.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The Fine Colombian...

Fast forward 50 years.. Cuervo is now the tequila with a nose that reminds you of the last time you puked after drinking it and Colombian was the last weed people smoked that commonly was packed with seeds and stems and sometimes twine that held the bales together (none of which are good to smoke).

Does anyone remember paraquat?

My how times have changed.

As much as we like to complain, you gotta admit we have it pretty good. Betty boards, (almost) legal, high quality weed with zero chance of seeds, stems and nylon twine. You get a computer read of what's in it and the concentration. Edibles are a plenty.. and we get some ridiculous amount of cleaned up, fully restored, amazing GD music each and every year.

Spent a good bit of time in Canyonlands and Needles too. Don't overlook Needles in SD and Needles in Ca also. Cool places, all good. Some really mind bending rock climbs in Needles SD. Holy cow.. ah to be young again.....

Been gone a bit, having a bit of a difficult week but things are progressing. I had to leave in a hurry and just had time to grab podzilla before I left. So I had to hit stuff that I had either already converted or officially released stuff. I did not have 10/31/83 or Santa Fe.. so I hit Boise and Worcester from 83 and kept the party going with the Spectrum 84, all Dave's or Dicks Picks, all high energy stuff. Itch scratched, the only thing missing was some 1984 cocaine which I probably have not done since 1984 - nasty stuff, not a fan but I love high octane GD when the mood suites me. I might not have listened to the Dicks Picks from Worcester since the month it was released. It was great but man.. you cannot unhear that snare drum. Philly and Boise are a big step up (although Worcester was on fire). It was all good.

....but now I have more ketchup to do.

Had a big family health issue to contend with.. all are recovering, albeit slowly and there is some loss of function but I am calling it a win with another month or two of rehab to contend with. Still.. JimInMD sighing a big sigh of relief. They made it to the other side.

That's all I have.. I tried pretty hard to keep up here but I had a handicap. I will hit Marin and Santa Fe this week. I hope you guys won't wind a belated reply.

Back to your previously scheduled Cumberland Blues > Cassady

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Enjoyed 10/12/77 Texas. Old transfer that dates back to 2004. I would have to think an upgrade will come out at some point. Spring 77 of course gets al the accolades, but you got to love fall 77. It seems to rock a little more, not as precise and we get the return of Truckin, Casey Jones, Dire Wolf, Dupree's and eventually China Rider in December. If you haven't listened to 10/2/77, it is worth checking out, I think we hit this one at some point last year. I hope it becomes a future pick. Casey Jones opener is so good.

Thinking of continuing the 79 Nassau Run, with 11/1/79. This is the show with the crazy Scarlet Fire that appears as hidden tracks on Dick's 13.

Good to hear things are progressing Jim. Hope that continues.