• 7,793 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

A pistol shot
    At five o’clock
    The bells of heaven ring
    Tell me what you done it for…
    RIP Rick, we didn’t even get to meet you

• Forensicdoceleven

Dedicated to Jay Carstens....................

Can one safely critique a venerable classic without having to run for cover? LOL I have no idea. In any case, get ready for THE Pigpen show. Yes, Mr. Pen dominates, especially on Good Lovin’ and Lovelight, where he lays down classic raps while the boys in the band back him up ably with wonderful psychedelic snake music. And the “smaller” Pig numbers work as well, particularly the rare and finely performed King Bee and the typically hard rockin’ April 71 Hard To Handle. Throw in a wonderful Bird Song, heart felt Sing Me Back Home, and the other usual rock and roll and country/western suspects, and there you have it----super solid show. Maybe not the classic it was once considered to be (hey, can I safely say that?), but still highly recommended………………….

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.....

Rock on!

Doc
    Music is well said to be the speech of angels.....

• TN John

Gave that 4/14/71 Bucknell show a listen today.
    That was a really good show with a clean recording off the archive.
    Peace

• Oroborous

JK, of course

I hit a couple hours of chestnuts from this fine release yesterday.
    Thanks for reminding us!

On on to May 79…

• jonathan918@GD

No problem my brother!

I did finish the second half of #28, 2/28/73, and yup, just as stellar as the first half!

I'll give those first six shows a go, as you mentioned, Orob

• Oroborous

28 correct
    I’m blaming Jonathan ; )

• TN John

Understood. lol
    Peace

• jonathan918@GD

yes, #28 not #26.

I was a little excited!!! lol

• TN John

The '73 release y'all are conversating about is Dick's 28, right?
    Some of y'all have typed 26, and had my old muddled brain confused.
    Don't take much.
    Peace

• Oroborous

Yep, some kinda algorithm.

Gonna pick some chestnuts for Sunday afternoon pleaser listening from 28!

I liked 4 14 71, but the next three nights were some of my favs from that hot month. I seemed to have especially enjoyed 4 17!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I’ll give 11/1/79 a spin

Wooooster? Ya mean Harshford?
Mexican dirt weed. Hey, that’s about all we could get BITD.
But hey, that’s what double albums were for, cleaning your weed! My original go to was Skullfuck which still has the stains to prove it lol. Until recently, my vinyl was still at my folks. One time after decades of them sitting there, I happened to check em out and lol, there was still a little left in the bottom!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ooopps, sorry Jim, forgot about Boxilla Wooooster show? Thought maybe you were losing it, but once again it’s me who’s ahem, “confused” “damn kids, get off my lawn” but Pedro, those aren’t kids, their prairie dogs!
I need to hit that one, (10/21/83) but since I’m at work I’m gonna keep on the DV 79 train and finish the last of these Nassau shows from 11/2/79.
Perhaps 11/1 was a bit more consistent, but hard to tell when not back to back listening etc? 10/31 was perhaps a bit more fun? But on 11/1 loved the jam outta Scarlet, Fire, Playing etc.?
Good shows so looking forward to this last one.
Happy Friday peoples, remember to keep the blue side up!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

oh yea, it was 30 Trips not a Dickus Pickus. My bad.. still, I am pretty sure it only had one listen and was fun to revisit.

Ended up hitting the Spectrum 83 Dave's Picks. I might be starting to get this period out of my system.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey OB, glad you are digging these shows. I mean, I think these are so good, five dancing bears. Sound quality is fantastic. Nice Jack Straw opener. Really good Peggy O, Jerry nails it. Easy to Love you. The epic Scarlet Fire is a fun ride. Terrapin, Playing, what a combo.
Okay good to hear you are moving to 11/2/ OB, I was waiting on that but will keep it going and don't forget Providence on 11/4. I would think Bluecrow would enjoy these shows and Jim.
Better yet box all these shows up and they will fly off the shelf.

Okay back to more 79.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yep, good sheep Mon! I’m not sure I have quite the same level of enthusiasm as you, but that’s nit picking personal taste BS. Like I liked, but perhaps not 5 star liked (no offense intended).
We should definitely do Providence, but would like to please wait until Monday or Tuesday so I can listen at work if that’s ok? Hoping to get some stereo time in this WE so would like something more high fidelity. Perhaps I should hit that Wooooooster show? Or…? Maybe hit another E72 Dark Star disc, think I left off on 5/7? Yeah, I’ll probably graze a little rather than trying to cram whole shows in?

Stay cool up there DV, paddle on Jimmy, good vibes to all,
Be well, play dead!

PS, maybe Doc will give us another history lesson during the week?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Monday or Tuesday definitely works for Providence OB. Hey I hear you, opinions always vary and that is okay, in fact encouraged. But I do like to give praise to the underrepresented years. Come on, when will we start to see some more variety with the official releases? So many great shows out there.
Maybe 4/7/72 is up next?
You all enjoy the rest of your weekend.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey there rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Providence June 26, 1974

I hadn’t planned on venturing outside my current comfort zone, and yet here we are. Is that not also a form of deception?

My second show. High school graduation present from my brother, he and his best friend took me and my bestie, we sat in the back of his old Cadillac on the way there, on arrival we were closer to the outer rings of Saturn than the Providence Civic Center………….

We went in one way, and came out………..shall we say…………changed?!!

The unusual and unexpected Big River opener. The very tasty, jammy, pre-Fire Scarlet Begonias. The Race Is On, Half Step, Let It Grow, the lovely short jam leading into the fine China/Rider, the big, big second set jam, and the mind boggle Eyes Of The World encore.

This was art, strong liquid sonic magic, deep and wide, mellow, but with an edge, much unknown to our ears, jams from the depths of the cosmos drawing us in to things we could not yet comprehend, the music truly playing the band. And tho’ it was night time, sunshine shredded our young minds…………..

While my first show had been the previous December this is the night I got on the bus. And just as we chased Augusta after October 12, 1984, we chased Providence for over ten years after this night of wonders….

A big chunk of the second set—and the encore—was officially released as part of Dick’s Picks on October 15, 1998. There are also very good circulating complete soundboard copies, including a Miller remaster. Venture forth, and listen!

I believe music is like medicine, like a good tonic, it can open your mind, strengthen and possibly even cure you.

Rock on,

Doc
My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey folks!!!

Apologies and gentle reminder to read the fine print. Providence 74 was my second show, Boston Music Hall December 1 1973 was my first show. LOL that much I remember............

See that the imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man........

Rock on!!

Doc
An apology might help, but you can change your life without one..........

And what a great second show it must have been.

Two PCs down in a very short period of time.. makes my digital library sort of inconvenient. I streamed the first set from the archive, I cannot remember the last time I have listened to it. So glad they started releasing complete shows. Very nice so far, especially the WRS.

Been listening to a lot of 74 lately, which is not a bad way to burn through the longest days of 2022. I have the second set from Dickus Pickus 12, so it's grab and goable.. so off I go. Great pick.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, because this thread is still not Grateful Dead of the Day, moving on to 11/4/79 for those interested.

6/26/74-I have Dick's 12 and listened to the Miller for the first time and the full show is outstanding. What a ride. Wall of Sound.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

With both PC's on injured reserve.. I can't get this to any of my devices. I will do a winter 79 show in it's honor, perhaps DiP 5.

Hoping to get the PC situation resolved this week.. Onward.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Congratulations OB. Champions! Great finals. Hope there wasn't to much damage to the Cup.

Hope you are able to get those PC issues resolved Jim. Those issues can be changeling.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

No Bueno! Not a fan, but a necessary evil. You didn’t lose your music did ya?

DV, rolling through 11/4/79. Another beauty.
Really dig the space and weirdness jams on many of these fall 79s.

Hit that 10/21/83 Worcester yesterday from Boxilla Jim brought up. May have sorta heard it once but gave it a sit down, er lie down on the couch lol yesterday and it was really good. Pretty tight for 83 and sounded pretty darn good all things considered. Interesting how different TOG is even after a year. That was one that seemed to take awhile before they all got together on it.

Then, Only had time for the Dicks section of 6/24/74, but good sheep to be sure. I think those awesome weird jams would of gone over my head as a tenderfoot starting out, but nowadays, that’s the stuff!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Or, where have all the flowers gone?

Ok, we’ve had a taste of 74, a nice lil 79 binge, how bout 8/28/82, the other Veneta!
Somehow ive not checked this one out so since nobody’s ventured a pick, I say we spend some quality time with ole Babs & Co.
by the by, hope Babs is recovering nicely from his medical setbacks, and is back to his normal shenanigans soon!

EDIT: ooo doggie, anyone digs 82 should check this one out. No crazy standout stuff, but Phil is on! the sound from the Miller was good (pitch maybe a tad off( and the band plays a solid, good energy show! Interesting early West LA too!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, late to the party OB. Been crazy busy trying to finish a ton of work before the annual summer vacation, but no excuses, will get this going tomorrow.

July 1 already on Friday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

the time is right, for Griswalds to hit the streets.

Yep, busy time, hopefully that’s why it’s been quiet here?
But work still needs to be finished, which requires heavy heavy fuel, or in our case Grateful Dead!
So since we’ve been digging 82 this year, and I loved 8/28 yesterday, figure we’ll forge onward, through the fog, like a headlight on a north bound train with 8/8/82.
I’m sure most are familiar with the previous night from Dickus Pickus etc, but I’ve never heard anyone speak of this one. Well, maybe Bluecrow as he’s a resident mid west aficionado?
Either way, it looks good on paper and via review, so without Futhur ado…
Rollin!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Thanks for keeping us rolling OB and I will absolutely hit this one after I finish up Oregon 82. Not the usual amount of shows for the Dead in 82 but man there are a ton of riches in this year. Good to see you Bluecrow. Where is Otis? School must be out.

Did not get much of 8/8/82 in yesterday as life just won’t let me be lately.
So going to be kind and rewind today.
Yeah, where’s Otis!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

What a great show. Really enjoyed it. Sound quality is fantastic. Good first set, Minglewood, Althea, It's all over now, great China Rider to close the first set. Ken Babs and Day Job to start the second set, hey I liked it. I like these early versions of West LA Fadeaway. Great run out of space with The Wheel, The Other one, Truckin, BP, Playing reprise, OMSN and close out with a Dupree's encore. Man, what a show. Thanks for picking this one OB.
Okay. Alpine here I come.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

They opened the second set with it when I saw them at The Rainbow 3/24/81. I was perched up in the balcony, and I can remember people moving out of their seats to dance. Great stuff. They also played a good version at Essen Germany a few days later.

Wrong section! Never mind.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

We love a good Shakedown here too! I post things in the wrong place all the time..

I remember early on in my tape trading days I scored a good sounding tape of the Essen W. Germany show.. this one circulated pretty freely, so it really wasn't super special.. still, a school buddy managed to talk me into 'trading' a box of tapes with him, he rummaged through my collection and took this and a few others, one being a great sounding 6/29/76 with the last and arguable the best Mission in the Rain they ever did. He talked me into forking up my originals and promised to return them with a box of his own. That was the end of that, I never saw him again. This was the last time I forked up originals. It took me until the archive came out to replace some of them. Live and learn..

Still, I liked that show even the Complete Pete sitting in on the second set.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I made the mistake of going upstairs before posting to check the date of the Rainbow show in Deadbase. Then when I came down I somehow ended up in the wrong place. For some reason I can never remember the dates when I saw them in March and October 1981-every time the subject comes up, I have to go and check. I probably didn't even know the dates on the days of the shows.

Quickly before I go - the first set of Essen was broadcast live on British television - I can remember this girl coming up to me in the pub earlier in the evening to remind me. The whole show was broadcast on the radio, so it was one of the first tapes I got. Good Sugaree if I remember rightly.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Got my main PC up and running. No data loss.. I am back in business and plan to catch up on a few of the shows from earlier in the week.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

8/28/82 ,Crazy fun times had by all! 1982, what a great year, Greek Frost , Ventura & December Oakland shows, BIG FUN! Back to the bbq.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

The complete show was broadcast on German TV and Radio in Stereo. I think this was a very good show of the Grateful Dead, not only Sugaree, but also Shakedown Street, Looks like rain, Deal … the whole second set …

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Fellow rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Reed’s Ranch, Colorado Springs, Colorado, July 3, 1969

The Dead played some odd and interesting places in 1969, this fits that bill perfectly. It appears that this was a one-off event, and also featured Holden Caulfield (a late 60s garage band), Zephyr (a hard rock band from Boulder), and Alice Cooper (at the time relatively unknown, although they had put out one album under that name already). Admission was $4. Preliminary research suggests that this may have been the only concert ever held at the ranch. It appears that the concert was held in a large barn, lots of people got in for free, and the enterprise lost money. Apparently the ranch itself no longer exists, possibly replaced by a housing development.

The show itself is interesting and typical of the Summer 69 shows: Green Green Grass of Home-Slewfoot-Sittin’ on Top of the World-Morning Dew-High Time-Me and My Uncle-Casey Jones-Hard to Handle-He Was a Friend of Mine-Lovelight

Some old things retained, new covers and originals being worked in. An unusual 69 show, without a Dark Star or Other One. In fact, there’s almost no jamming to be found here at all. Even so, worth a listen, especially if you like oddball Dead. And the Miller remaster itself is quite listenable.

And for all you Lovelight fans out there (lol all three of us!), this one is solid and runs for about 27 minutes before the tape ran out just before the end……………

I can't wait to get back to the ranch and go back to easy living.

Rock on!

Doc
Well, I can do certain jobs because smells don't bother me, but that means I'm usually the one at the ranch cleaning up all the manure……

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Pretty sure this was on here a couple months ago as a Tapers or Jam-o-week.
Maybe I just looked it up after finding that Denver show my sister attended.
The Slew Foot reminded me as I hadn't heard that one in like 10 years or more.
And didn't even know they had ever done Green Grass of Home.
Cheers and happy Independence Day

Hey Wolf1905, yes, I have seen that show several times. Great show. I believe this is the one with Pete Townshend towards the end of the show.
Hope you all have a good fourth.

We definitely will have a Dave's announcement for #43 the second week of this month.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

That one was not on my radar. Love Essen too.. since there isn't too much interest and people are probably out and about why not hit Essen W. Germany today and pick something fresh tomorrow?

Happy 4th all.. for those across the pond or down yonder.. have a little extra fun, summer's here and the time is right for dancing in the streets (1970's style). Hey 4.15.70 would be a hoot too..

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

..was nice. Like food for the soul. This one has special meaning for me simply because I had it when I just cutting on my teeth on GD/life/munchables and coping with it all. The Shakedown rose a little probably because there is so much attention on shakedown.

Ok.. I am oscillating from a deep 74 dig but came up like the working man I am leaning on some 80's for energy and productivity. In addition to Rockpalast, I bit off the Hartford 87 shows from Dave's Picks (36???). Lots of crowd noise but good outdoor working man's music. I got a lot done.

Any aversion to pivoting to 7/1/85 followed up by 11/2/85? Two off the radar shows. Nothing spectacular here but I recall both being very good in relation to the tours they were nested in.

So two, pick your fav. no need to do both but they fill a void, are good shows and off the beaten path.

Or not.. feel free to listen to whatever works. Summer's here and the time is right.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I watched the video of this show again. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Yes Jim, the Shakedown is really good. The video and the sound of this show is great. Townshend seemed a little out of place in NFA and Jerry shows his stuff in Wharf Rat. Great high energy 81 show.
I am traveling today so can't access Relisten for those 85 shows, but will hit them this weekend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't see one listed for today so ho about 7-10-90, Carter Finley Stadium?

There's a nice official video on youtube that they rolled out last year i'm watching/listening to.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Dove into summer 92, which no one seems to like, so went solo.
Why you say? Why not! Lol.
Actually, started because I wanted to hit my 30 year anniversary of my one and only show employed by the GD, sorta.
Long story short, I was able to work production for the 7/1/92 tour closer. Amazing experience!
I recall the show being sorta typical of the times slow build into good but not mind blowing etc., but had never checked it out.
So listening all these years later, I stsrted out thinking “this is not a good show”, but as was often the case it starts morphing and by the second set I was enjoying it. The jams with Steve Miller and Norton Buffalo were great, actually augmented/added nicely instead of the often awkwardness that happens with guests. The West LA is definitely a cool version. Not a bad tour ender and glad I finally listened!
7/1/92
6/26/92: since we hit 6/25 recently. Ok, status quo, perhaps a little disappointing considering? Great Crazy Fingers during this era!
5/29/92
5/30/92
5/31/92.
A fine little WE in the desert. Nothing mind blowing, but nothing bad either, just a nice solid run of shows with an overall nice build up. To me highlights were the ridiculous mid show raves as centerpiece with the accompanying songs: Crazy Fingers>Playing>Rave>Watchtower>China Doll, Smokestack>Terrapin>Rave>Spanish Jam, Rave>Attics>Spoonful, and really, the rest of the last night.
I’ve been finding i like 92 for what it is and a nice sorta change, especially from the 70s repetitiveness. Vince dosent bother me me as much as he used to, though I’ve noticed a few habits that can get old. But to much of anything makes Jack a dull boy, so gave 7/3/69 a spin, followed by 7/1/85. The 69 was ok, perhaps a little ragged early, but interesting different material. By LL I was ready to move on. Another interesting snapshot from the less traveled summer if 69.
7/1/85 was a little slow to gel too. By LIG things were moving, and the second set was a bit of a rager. Sorta good bookend to 69: not always the cleanest, but hang on! Forgot how great those 85 spaces can be!
Might try to catch Essen this WE, but now SDN has 7/10/90 up on the board, so who knows?
For now, just drifting and dreaming…

Overachiever and proud of it! Good job, OB.

I can do 7/10/90 today (I think)..

I only made it through 7/1/85 from my list earlier. I agree with OB's comments, but I do like the revisit of the early arrangement for Dancin' that surfaced in this time. Not a best of show by any means, but there's something about 1985 that's different. It's like taking a break from French Roast and dipping into a double expresso. Love some of the song selections and their willingness to throw new songs and ideas into the ether, especially songs like She Belongs to Me, Comes a Time, etc.

Up early, drinking some strong, strong Italian Roast.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey rockers!!

Pick(s) Of The Day: New York State Pavilion, July 11 and 12, 1969

And you are the easiest person to fool. That being said, there’s not a lot of fooling around here. It can be challenging to explain…….

I lumped these together because they were some of the first “bootleg” 1969 recordings I ever heard. Which means, they’ve been around since the dawn of time, since I am, after all, as old as dust………………..

What to make of these little gems? Difficult to digest, but rewarding. Unlike Reed’s Ranch, there are big jams here, to go along with new material being worked in, good doses of Pigpen, and two Lovelights. Plus a reminder that Mr Robert Weir shouldn’t try to tell jokes………..

The recordings themselves are pretty decent, maybe not “great” and I’m not sure they’re “official release material” (especially the second night, for which only a large fragment circulates), but they served us well back in the day, as they do now.

If I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel Prize.

Rock on,

Doc
I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there……

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Okay Conekid, 7/12/90 sounds good to me. I have never heard this show. Thanks. #43 Announcement coming tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Tap, tap, tap….is this thing on?
Ok, where we’re we?
Watched 3/23/81, and most of 7/10/90 over the past WE, back to back.
Both good in different ways, but man, the level of overall professionalism etc on the 90 video was eye opening.
I just don’t understand how some folks don’t like 89-90? But hey that’s their prerogative and all good!

Caught the 7/11&12/69 shows. Decent, interesting, nice look at JG messin with the pedal steel etc. sound was variable. Nice Live Dead suite etc.
Free ranged 10/6/77 (think y’all did that one awhile back?). Some solid 77. Had a King Biscuit tape early on.
A good show but perhaps more run of the mill comparatively?
Did 7/4/81 on the fourth, and 8/11, 12, and 13/87 recently.
Enjoyed them all. Not a bad one in the barrel, nothing spectacular sticks out either. All are worth a spin, but not must listens. Sorry, everything’s been a frickin blur lately, so not many notes etc.

Bastids are dragging me back to work soon, so I’m sure I’ll be rolling accordingly.
But today I’m enjoying this fine show (so far) from 9/23/82.
Figured a) it’s an 82 which we’ve been focusing on this year, and really enjoying! , b) it’s the show before the Cuse Dome show we were at, and c) since it’s the night after the second MSG night from the upcoming box.
I’ve only heard the 3/9/81 show from said box (it is a goodn), but like to have virginal listens of released shows when possible, so I won’t hit any of the actual shows, but will sneak around some of their neighbors etc to catch the flavor and perhaps some perspective?
Oh, gonna try and watch 7/12/90 this WE on the big screen!
Ok for now. Now if only that dam bear hadn’t filched our beer!

EDIT: 9/23/82. Solid, Most enjoyable. This, and the next night (that I saw), perhaps hopefully being a good indicator that the 82 shows at least are going to be sweet! We’ll poke around the carcass more over the next couple months as (some of us) anxiously await the box drop.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

scene - "tumbleweeds rolling by - only sound, the wind"

awfully quiet in this here town last little while (guilty as charged)

unlike Senator Oro, not much dedicated listening on my part last little bit. got caught up in other stuff. hopefully getting back on track.

that Essen Set I video was awesome (still haven't gotten to Set II). A few years ago in regards to query as to Jerry using a pick vs. finger picking, someone over on archive lynkd to a concert video clip of Jerry playing Althea where he switches between the two techniques at several points in course of the song. He finger picks the main Althea "theme", while using a pick throughout bulk of it I think. The transition is like a magic trick, he tucks the pick between two fingers (index and middle finger stub?) almost like a card sharp - you really don't see the move unless you're laser focused and then you "might" see it. A year ago I tried to contact the guy to find out what show that was (I forgot) but no response. And now I think the video shared to illustrate this might be Essen.

Senator, glad to see that you are picking up the listening slack for the Intermountain Conference. Nice that you got in the '87 Red Rocks shows. Was 2nd row center Night 1 with "extended family" of 10 (personally staked it out after sprinting past the security dude despite his call to stop when they let us in at the lower entrance - I think an impressive uphill run at elevation over 6000 ft.) Was reading that Touch of Grey article via That Mike this morning and thought how freaking lucky I was to get mail order tix for that Red Rocks run (plus Alpine and Pittsburgh) plus Hampton '88 (all while living in rural southern Indiana/Ohio) given how the scene had changed in those days.

Also want to add that both DaP 43 and the Garden box are like manna from heaven. Woo doggies!!

Hope everyone's doing well. Hot and dry here - need some rain. Scene - bluecrow holding a mass produced cheap 16oz cold beer - "Onward !!"

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey OB, yes will give this one a listen tonight. Thanks for the pick. New Haven.

Hey Bluecrow, yes super excited about the new box. Dave is giving the audio an A+, I have never heard him say that before and he could not with last year's box. I think it is great they are giving us something new this year. I would have thrown in the 79 shows at the Garden as well, but hey, that is just me.

Enjoy it out there. Enjoying an Oberon right now as well.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I still have not caught up on my digital media issue after losing a couple of PC's in a couple of weeks. I am back up and running, but.. I still have some work to do getting all my software installed, tuned up and working the way I like.

So I have been listening vicariously through you guys.. and have been hitting a bunch of released shows on my own on devices that are already loaded when I cannot keep up. I'm on a bit of a post hiatus roll.. I did do the 69 shows doc tossed out, Essen and a few others. I also hit the entire May 77 Box (the first one) in sequence, both Hartford 87's, the whole Giants Box, and Deer Creek plus a few others. I've been venturing out into a new hobby which has kept me outdoors a lot, so less PC time and I have always tried to avoid being too attached to a cell phone.

So that's my excuse.. but I am still here and will participate more when the planets are properly aligned. Speaking of planets.. holy crap, what about the James Web telescope.

As you were.. up next is the YouTube of the 90 show. Looking forward to that.

Good show. Sound quality is good. Nice Peggy O, Althea, you get a Touch of Gray, Sailor Saint, good stuff. Nice finish and It's all over now baby blue to end the show.
Good pic OB.

Anyone have an official release suggestion for today?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Anyone up for Dickus 16 from 11/8/69?
A little taste of the future…

Yep DV good sheet. The next night at the dome they played good too, so I’ll take that as a good sign for the 82 version of the new box. Funny, now that I’m thinking about it, I was at shows 2 shows later in 81 and 82, and at the next 2 nights of 83 (after the garden shows). Once again, missed it by that much ; )