• 7,816 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Looks Good PT!
Currently Unable to listen, but it’s going on the list!
I saw the Richfield shows so interested how they compare.
I think the whole fall 91 tour, including those Oakland shows and specifically 10/31/91 that conekid is jonesing for, would make a great box. Perhaps the last consistently solid tour! I’ve been finding some good stuff in 92, but don’t think there’s the consistency throughout a whole tour, like in 91?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

And I keep forgetting about 10/31. Jerry's voice had it's ups and downs from the mid 80's to this time. From late 91 on, there were some songs he just couldn't do justice to. That's what I recall from this era, he really started to age affecting his voice and stamina. I do like what Bruce brought to mix.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

10-28 10-30 and 31 1991 the last Halloween shows. release please

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Fall 91 is hot!

9-10-91 and 9-25-91 have been released, 11-3-91 might have a problem getting released because of guests (there is video of the show if you haven’t seen it), so what to pick?
So many good ones, probably should just release everything.
I assume that there are DAT masters in the Vault. Send them to Glasser and let him work on them while Norman focuses on analog tape recordings.

Deadvikes,
Was just at the beer store and they had around 25 cases of Bell’s Oktoberfest. Didn’t grab any today but will before it’s gone.
There were also stacks of Oktoberfest from numerous other breweries.
And pumpkin beer which sounds gross.
Has anyone made a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin beer yet?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

That whole run, and several from MSG and more so Boston. 9/26/91 anyone, bueller?
I’m tellin ya folks, fall 91 has some good sheet!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Fall 1991

9/6/91
9/8/91
9/16/91*
9/22/91
9/24/91
9/26/91*
10/31/91*

Favorite/must haves*
7 Shows
66 one time songs: really good selection!
16 Repeats
6 Threepeats
(Not including D&S)

The three peats are: Dark Star, Attics, Let It Grow, Saint, Stranger, and Good Lovin’

The repeats are: Spoonful, Dark Star Jam, Wang Dang, Candyman, Maggie’s, Standing on Moon, Last Time, Stella, Samson, Eyes, TOO, Bertha, All Over Now, Heaven’s Door, Minglewood, and A&A. Hey, no matter how you slice em, Bobs ALWAYS gonna have repeats!

9/17 and other Oakland and Richfield are probably worthy, but then you start getting into more repeats and perhaps too big a box?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Will get 8/17/91 rolling tomorrow. 91 has a lot to offer. I think #44 will be 91 or as I was driving home tonight I was thinking, when was the last time we had an 88 show released? RT 4. 2. Might be time.
Conekid, do yourself a favor and pick yourself up a case soon. As of right now, we have only one store that has it in my neck of the woods. My favorite beer by a long shot. Only down fall, shelf life is 3 months.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Another fine 91 Shoreline show. Nice job PT Barnum. How about a 91 Shoreline Box?? That would be fun.
Sound quality on this one is five dancing bears, so good. Nice start with Help Slip Franklins, Wang Dang Doodle, Queen Jane, end with a great TMNS.
Second set maintains the flow with a great Man Smart, Women Smarter, Ship of Fools. Nice Smokestack Lighting. He's Gone delivers. Short Dark Star out of Space, great Dew, OMSN and close it out with a It's all over now baby blue! What a show.

Let's box these Shoreline shows up.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

8/16/69 & 8/16/91

8/16/69: I’ve heard this one a few times over the years and it seems like each time I have a different thought.
Today it didn’t resonate so much though that was probably because of the goofy banter etc, while simultaneously getting super annoyed at work? The Dark Star is actually pretty decent, and none of it is as bad as has sometimes been said. Someday I’m going to make a disc of just the music…

8/16/91: yes I said 16. Figure might as well tap the whole WE run. Hoping to hit 17&18 mañana, unless I get stuck going back to that damn construction site with only ahem, one kinda music and it ain’t GD!
Didn’t get a great listen in, but it seemed like a solid show. Cool first set DS, interesting second set with a nice Standing on the Moon etc. 91 is fun!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

8-17-91 playing now, version .20696.

Yes Dave, send the 91 DATs to Glasser.

And release some 91 video too, please.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Looks like Fall '91 made the GD Buellerton email. It's a good thing we were dropping Phil Bombs instead of F Bombs..

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

What I like about '91 is the toned down nature of the Ultra Matrix and the introduction of DATs. I think I am right on this, but happy to be corrected if I am wrong. Don Pearson played a larger role and the cassette master was gone. Plus, there just seems to be much less audience noise pumped into the mix than the late 80's.

Still, a step down from the analog reels of the 70's and digital storage was in it's infancy. Just having Pearson look over Dan's shoulder seemed to help keep things from getting too wild and wooly on tape.

Oh, and ole Brucey sitting in on keys.

Not sure if anyone else has thoughts on this or not. The recordings finally started to improve from the low point. I'd say in 87 was rock bottom for the ultra mix.

Back to your regularly scheduled Dark Star Jam out of Space into Morning Dew to close the show. Wow.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Deadbase IX has a funny review/story about the first night - 8/16. Dude had 3rd row seats and for some unfathomable reason (to me at least) decides to wander up to the lawn during Desolation Row (I mean really??). There he gives his ticket to a friend so she can catch the rest of Set I from up close. She skips on down the stairs and moments later Jerry plays the opening notes of Dark Star!! I had forgotten they finished it the next night out of space with the Dark Star jam > Morning Dew.

It's both lots of fun and something of a fool's errand to try to guess the next DaP but for some reason I'm thinking that a '91 Bruce show makes "just exactly perfect" sense.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I've been bouncing around the country this week – sorry I missed chiming in on the hallowed day. . . Doc's offer of the GD set is generous as usual. Also the entire 416 tracks that were part of the sold out 38 CD box were eventually released as a high-def, 96kHz / 24bit download thru HDtracks dot com as "Woodstock — Back To The Garden — The 50th Anniversary Archive". The monumental task of herding all the artists, record companies, and assorted stake holders was more than equalled by the painstaking efforts of Andy Zax (producer), Briam Kehew (mix), Dave Schultz (masters). The historic 50+year old recordings will probably never sound better. Check with Doc or HDtracks.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

There's a funny clip on the Archive of Buck Henry going to this show and filming the adventure for whoever he was working for at the time. I think most know a bit about the writer/director/funnyman perhaps most famous as co-creator of the TV Program Get Smart with Mel Brooks.

In the beginning he is bemused and uninterested, sitting in his seat while others go nutz around him as Help On The Way kicks off the show. By the end he is twirling with the best of them and continues to do so after the band is packed and gone dancing in circles with streamers in his hand. I'm sure they were trying to capture getting on the bus or dosing and melding into the fold.

Anyway, an amusing curiosity. I always had a lot of respect for Buck Henry. A comic from a bygone generation. Perhaps more like us then one might expect.

Bluecrow.. "(l mean really??)" Totally agree, lawn over 3rd row? The GD did Dylan better than Dylan did Dylan. Sorry if I offended anyone with this take, I'm a big fan of GD's Desolation Row. How did Bobby remember the lyrics when he couldn't seem to get through Truckin' clean twice in a row?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I do remember his somewhat dark skits on SNL.
He fit in perfectly with that storied crew.
Wasn't until later that I realized his many writing credits.
Kinda reminded me of a Hunter S. Thompson in those skits.
As shocking as they were hilarious. Typical for SNL back then.
Cheers
Edit: He passed in 2020. Look up his writing credits. You'll be surprised.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Wife and I are spending a few days in Tahoe. Coming back from dinner the other night around 8:45, there was some pretty loud music coming from a nearby condo. She thought the volume was pretty high for the time of night.

I responded, "It has to be played loud. That's the Dead playing 'The Other One' from November 17, 1971 - Albuquerque."

She stopped walking, an incredulous look on her face. " How can you possibly know that?"

"Easy. Dave's Picks 26. That one is in the CD player in my car."

She went inside and hugged the dog wistfully.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

If she's anything like my girl.
Perfect story Bolo!
And I can only give her an approximate year, not the details.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Check a roo!
Bad news is I mostly only heard these on my device : (
Good news is they were still very enjoyable! ; )

Not much time now, so I’ll just say I thought the 17 was perhaps the top dog overall, perhaps with the 16 close at its heels. The 18th had a fun set list with some unusual fun placements and was a good show, but I thought the others flowed better overall? Another fun run from 91 and 3 more notches on the proverbial bedpost!
Ok, FAC time, gotta cold one waiting, toodles!
Y’all have a great WE, and once again the talented Mr Bolo with the story!
Good job boss, lol, my Other One would have just gave me the look and probably said: “idiot” lol

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I was there in the 3rd row, The Dark Star into Promised Land was one of the coolest things I ever saw the Dead play. Fun times!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Most is new to me. Most enjoyable what I have listened to so far.

Thanks guys.. nice little rabbit hole and a pleasant diversion from 69, adds balance.

Definitely impressed Bolo.

Jim, yes, can't say enough good things about Don Pearson.

Must have been a great show to be at BTK.

I was just hitting my stride with '91. It's good to be off balance though.

There's a new Chris Hazard of this show on GlueTube. I think this is the one where Jerry and maybe Parish helped out on drums. Yes, likely a Betty Board.

I'd like to know what ever happened to the tapes the grumpy guy in CA bought at auction and would not cough up. I wonder if they ever landed back in the vault. We can only hope...

I didn’t get to the anniversary listen yesterday, but might try tonight.
Good show. There’s video of it too.

Listened to 8-16-91 last night, 17th the night before, so I Might As Well play the 18th too some time this weekend.

Bolo knows his tunes. You should take your wife bowling at King’s Beach Bowl (I don’t know if it still exists).

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I love this show. So much fun to watch the student filmed video and the playing is awesome. A diced and sliced VHS came my way shortly after Jerry passed away. The vibe of complete joy Jerry radiates during Eyes is so very cool. Drums is a hoot and the Truckin simply shreds and damn it Phil is singing!! Been hoping for this show to be released for awhile.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I typed the right date but wrong venue, Dooaahh.
4/12 is a goodin, and this one’s from the 14 is decent, comparatively. Meaning, after listening to most of this tour at least once, I still think 4/15 & 4/11 are up where mama hides the cookies!
Now that should not imply the others are not up to par, just that imho the 15/11 are Tiger at 12 under comparatively.

The 14 starts out rippin, then JG has a slight miscue. It’s sorta the same story throughout, good energy and overall tight playing, but with perhaps a more noticeable number of slight miscues etc?

So though I have just a few more unreleased from this tour that I’ve not hit yet, I think Dave got this one right! Meaning #37.
Since I sometimes question if he went to the right city/street but wrong house, let’s give credit where credits due!
I haven’t heard a bad show on this tour yet, which is good because with all those particularly sweet Bettie’s that are complete and in the vault, ya know we’re getting a spring 78 box at some point.
But I think ole Dave hit an in the park homer with 37!
37 was perhaps the biggest surprise he’s given me. I was not really familiar with spring 78 when this one landed, but man what an awesome surprise! 43 wasn’t really a surprise, I mean ya knew if he went to 69, chances were high it was going to be fine! But early 78, yawn, what, no, wait, what, wait a minute, yowsa!

So, yep, nice to change it up a bit, but apologies to Jim. Didn’t mean to pile it on, and hopefully won’t disrupt your 91 dive, as that year has been another pleasant surprise. I’m just trying to stock up on show fixes while I can to make up for the days I’m unable lately, like a squirrel with a jowl full of nuts.
So Besides several of the summer tour, so far I’ve checked out everything from 8/16 through 11/3, and man I tell ya dars gold in dem dere hills! Spring 91 is still a vast wilderness for me as it’s one of two tours I didn’t see any shows between 84 and 92, and though I’ve heard a few good ones here on POTD, that’s another hill that needs to be mined.

Was thinking maybe sparking up some 91 video tonight. Can’t decide if I should go with the ridiculous sounding 6/17, or 6/14? Tough choice!
Conkid I’ll try and catch a little 8/19/89 for extra credit since you say there’s video. Still frosts my ass I had to bail and missed the last night, but, the situation is the boss…

So, the question is, what now?
Hmmmm, maybe some 11??, perhaps later as I may get a DHB in…
Perhaps back to 82 and 9/9/82 from Nola?
NEXT!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I was at the three-night shows in Orlando April 7-9 Good times, a nice Ruben on the 7th one of the best later year Eyes on the 8th and a good TOO>Wharf Rat on the 9th.
Bolo, she may not be impressed but I am. Great call.
4-14-78 I have not heard this show, will have to check it out. I'm gonna stay in 91 for a while with 4-8-91, can't get enough of that second set. Usually when a show starts with Mississippi Half Step and ends with Johnny B Goode, it's a scorcher, and this one is. Then I will check out the 78.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Ooo, 4/8 does look interesting!
Looks like good Sunday show, so mañana, on the list!

I know we hit 4/7 on your recommendation and was a solid show.
We’ve hit some good ones here on POTD: someone picked 3/25, DV gave us 3/31, Bolo 2/19, and my fav from spring (so far) a fine outing from 4/1 via brother Conekid!

If/when we do get a 91 outta Dave, I’m guessing 6/22/91 or 9/26/91 since there on his “list” that he’s been chipping away at fairly regularly over the years. Plus, when he goes to these “not Betty, 70s etc” he tends to pick a place with a high population and often shows with big crowd capacity: Giants, MSG, RFK, Boston Garden etc perhaps figuring even if the pick doesn’t fly off the shelf, there’s enough of a potential base that it’ll sell out?

9/9/82: interesting show, sounded great except a couple of splices, and the speed may have been off, at least at first.
It seemed a little fast, so perhaps recorded slow, but I don’t think that’s the whole story. I think their playing super fast and the tape just adds to it. Whatevs, their on a mission. Interesting set list, some occasional misses, like the transition back to Uncle Js, but it’s a cool idea and nice variety, and from there on out status quo but generally well played..
perhaps not the best of the year, but another interesting solid outing from a year of the same!
Really enjoy these early Strangers, and especially the West LA’s with the alternative lyrics, and hey, a Day Job for good measure.

Ok, gonna hit a little 11/2/69 before the Other One gets home. Then hopefully some video tonight…
ONWARD!

EDIT: VERY GRATEFUL DAY yesterday!
4/14/78
9/9/82
11/2/69
David Bromberg: tge best of DB out of the blues
Grover Washington jr: Mister Magic
Wynton Marsalis: Standard Time Vol I
6/14/91: Vault View II (video)
8/18/89: m/o 2nd set on youstoob
Thanks Conekid, hadn’t checked any of 8/18 out. Was really enjoying it!
Funny cause I read your post, but thought 7/18, which is what I lamented about missing, so then at 11:30 or whenever I went there, of course I started watching 7/18 before finally remembering (had to go look lol) that you were digging on 8/18. I’m blaming it on age, not the Pioneer Gold lol. So I got a couple tunes from 7/18 too.

8/21/72: meh, heard that a few times, maybe at work? Nice Dark Star!
Ooorrr maybe I’ll hit the 22 as I’ve not heard that one?
First I’m having my morning Joe with PT on 4/8/91!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I was there, so was Spacebro.

There is pro-shot video of that show.

Dave,
CD/Blu-ray combo please.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!

Pick Of The Day: Berkeley Community Theater, August 21, 1972

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is……..

The first night of this very solid four night run finds the band in fine form, playing well, with the usual 1972 gooey Dead goodness, rock and rollers and cowboy songs. The major deadness is the oh-so-interesting Dark Star. I don’t know scales from whales, but interested readers are referred to Henry Kaiser’s spot-on analysis in Deadbase X. The band channels its focally dissonant, focally atonal, A mixolydian selves to produce what might humbly be classified as magic.

Not as famous as the 24th, and not officially released like the 25th, but a show without illusions, and mighty, mighty good for the soul……

Therefore trust to thy heart, and to what the world calls illusions……

Rock on,

Doc
Our experience is composed rather of illusions lost than of wisdom acquired…..

I listened to the official 8/25/72 last week and was really impressed - short by the standards of the day but powerful. I guess maybe they had lost a fair proportion of their set list with Pigpen, and hadn't quite figured how to fill the gap yet. So I went to the second set of 8/21 straight afterwards - great Dark Star with Keith leading at one point. Pity they couldn't have slipped this in with the relevant Dave's Picks.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

My brother went to 8/24/72. It would have been nice if they would have released this whole run as a box set.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I asked Lemieux about this years ago and he replied quickly that not all these reels are in the vault. ..but they do circulate in high quality. I'm not what to make of all this, clearly they were recorded and someone in modern times went through the trouble to clean them up and get them in circulation.

Dave's Picks 24, 8/24/72 came compliments of ABCD Enterprises, so even though Bear recorded them the master reels must have somehow reside with Betty. Perhaps ABCD still has a little life to give and a deal can be extended to these source tapes? Maybe they are already in the vault or in a banana box on the top shelf somewhere? They are Bear recordings after all. I'd love a box of the remaining three shows. This is one that should be released all at once and not cobbled together as Dave's Picks.

Would these shows make a better box than ones from the following four months though, if you had to choose one 72 run over the others? Maybe they would be just as good - I have it in mind that they re-started a bit hesitantly in July, gathered pace in August, then peaked in September and maintained this on through to the end of the year. I haven't checked this theory out listening to all the shows, though, just a sample.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

I'm partial to the BCT shows, I think they are great.. but truth be known, I have big holes in my Fall 72 listening. The Texas stuff is fantastic also.

Good points, time will tell I guess. Owsley recorded a lot of the late 72 shows, and now that the Banana Box mystery is starting to unravel.. we might get our answers. Of the great stuff we know exists, there are a lot of 69 shows that were recorded and have not been released, but most do not sound as good as the last Dave's Picks, and there are a good bit of 72, 71 and 73. 68 and 74, not so much.. 67 almost nonexistent which brings us to post hiatus where 76 and 78 have a lot to chose from and beyond that, enter the cassette / PCM era.

Still, I stand by the BCT shows. They are worthy. I thought the BCT and Fox were the unreleased gems of 72 from the shows I had listened to anyway... This being before the STL box and Dave's Picks 24.

So where were we?

Edit: I really have to wonder both how many times these master reels were played back in the day which would lead to degradation. On the other side of the same coin, I wonder just how much better Mr. Norman is to spinning 50+ year old polyester tape into gold. To me the turning point in his prowess of all things GD was the 5/15/70 Road Trips, adding in the WOS and Big Rock Pow Wow for good measure. He stepped up his game during this period. I have to wonder how good Dicks Picks 1, 3 and 16 would sound if he remastered them today, god forbid E72. These later day releases are like pennies from heaven to me. 43 wowed me. It was an in the park home run.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'd still buy it in a shot, of course, and it would be great news if it did come out.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!

Pick Of The Day: Fillmore West, August 22, 1968

Clean cut but morally corrupt, the Grateful Dead………..

If 8/21 wasn’t primal enough for your ears, wait a day and try this on for size!

On paper, short. In music, long. “Only” ten songs, but such much!!! Especially the gargantuan Alligator, more massive than the ones in Florida. Dark Star, The Eleven, Midnight Hour, I shall take it all in and give thanks!!! You should too!!!!!

The esteemed Mr Miller did a fine job with this one, check it out!!!

In morals, truth is but little prized when it is a mere sentiment, and only attains its full value when realized in the world as fact…….

Rock on,

Doc
I don't necessarily set out to teach or say anything in particular in my writing, morals and themes come out as I'm telling the tale……

Thanks for the pick yesterday Doc.

Looking at 5/5/78, Dartmouth for today. I don't think we ever hit this one.

Unrelated note, we are driving to a family function last Saturday night and I can only take the local radio station music and ads for so long, turned on Dave's #25 from my hard disc drive in my car. Friend of the Devil and my 13 old daughter singing along. I love it. She likes to tell me she doesn't like the Dead, but when it is on in the car, she seems to sing along quite often. It gets in the bloodstream!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yesterday in the car and the wife saw a Tennessee plate.
I started into T. Jed and she jumped right in on the chorus.
Unusual as she doesn't listen to my Dead sessions anymore.
But it is fun to hit that high note! Fun harmonizing too.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Sunday 4/8/91 Enjoyed
Monday 8/22/72 Hit this one instead since it was the only one I’ve not heard from the run
Tuesday 5/5/78 Decent, seems a little less than some of the April shows? Could be my listening conditions?
Tuesday 8/22/68 Nice little taste of primal. Having heard a New Potato in a while!

7/27/82: Rain Rocks. Going to hit all three: today and tomorrow…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

5/5/78 is definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet. I thought the performance and sound quality of the recording were both really good. The show rocked. Promise Land, Dire Wolf, Candyman,Passenger, all good first set versions. They start the second set with Bertha, Good Lovin, the Estimated Eyes and Stella Blue, Around and Around are the highlights of the second set. I like these Werewolves of London encores, good way to close it out.
Glad you gave it a go OB, the equipment we use always makes a difference. I typically listen to these shows through my Sonos play five.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Equipment can matter, but I’m suffering more from work distractions.
Sometimes I can really get in the groove and both the music and the work flows in tandem, other times, and unfortunately this seems to happen more as o get older, it’s more in the background . Maybe I need some entheogen therapy to defrag the neural pathways?
Either way I can usually get a good feel at least for the show. I might miss some of the specifics, but I can usually feel the vibe etc.
5/5 was good, I’m just hung up and thus comparing to some of those top shelf April shows, like DaP 37!

Same with 7/27/82: not the best listen, seemed ok, but not up to some of the August shows…
Hopefully today I’ll have better luck with the 28&29?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Yummy

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I hear you OB, sometimes it is hard to get them in with the old job. I run in to that a lot.

I remember when I was 18 in 89 and wanted to join the circus and keep touring after Alpine and then reality set in, I didn't have the money to do it. Regrets.

82 Red Rocks, 7/28, I will give it is go. Do you have a good source you are looking at?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I’m going with 4 of 11. CM transfer, doesn't list who taped?
The Jim Wise/CM sounds ok, but I think this one might be more balanced frequency wise?
Doesn’t seem to be a good SB.

I think part of my lackluster attitude toward the 27th was the sound of the SB I went with?
It was pretty thin and perhaps overly tinny?
I think the rain put a damper on things too (pun intended).
There is a fun On the Road Again, and that whole second set extended stuff is good, but
I think the August stuff is just so good comparatively…

EDIT: 7/28/82: I liked this one much better, but I was able to pay better attention etc?
Not a GOAT, but a fine Shakedown opener, BIODTL (luckily I never tire of this Bob song), a rocking GSET (listen to Phil hit those opening cords), followed by more standard fare, but then a hot Big RR (another I haven’t grown tired of), with a nice Lightnin/Supplication, and a Deal to end a great set. Second first half part is a little different set list followed by more normal order post drums, except with a Spanish Jam, always a welcome song, along with a fine Baby Blue encore!
The Aud was pretty decent but I realized it’s this cobbled together set up I’m using on the job site that’s thin/tinny, so perhaps dont let my comments about the 27 scare ya off. I do think the 28 is better though?
Ok, onward (through the rain & Fog) to the 29, going to try the Frank S Aud as no decent SBs here either…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have trouble with that too.. I seem to always be doing something, well.. complicated, in environments where I either get questions or really have to focus.

But I cannot complain, I get in enough.. Got 8/21&22/68 Fillmore West in on the 22nd, something '74 yesterday on the river and most of 10/8/89 Hampton today on SiriusXM radio (was at that one). I thought about doing Two From the Vault, 8/24/68 at the Shrine Exposition Hall in LA today.. might get to it, but I am seeing some local live music after dinner tonight. Free at the local ski resort every Wednesday.. lots of GD cover type and Bluegrass. Typical mountain music.

Anyway.. yes, listening environment is key and the more responsible I become (not purposeful), the less control I seem to have on my listening situation.

Hey, I’m a toys are us kid: I don’t wanna grow up, old, etc etc, sigh.
It’s tough suffering from both old age AND arrested development; )

Hmmmm, set and setting…sounds familiar!