• 7,805 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • 1stshow70878

Did the first set again this morning.
    Love it! Seems like a show where the 1st set might be as good or better than the 2nd. Nothing wrong with that though.
    Have not met a '78 show I didn't like.
    Cheers

• Oroborous

5 3 79 thru 7 1 79

Dedicated to GODV!

Tour starts out decent, but nothing special.
    Every night seems to gel until late first set on 5/7.
    From then on things take off, especially with the second set Shakedown opener.
    The next 2 nights, 5/8 and 5/9 are the shin dizzle!
    Both shows are ripping good! Only Auds, but not bad. Don’t let that keep you from enjoying these hot shows!
    Bill Ricka I heard before and didn’t need to rehash.
    The twelfth is good, and Maine perhaps better to close the tour.

6/28 had Aud first, SB second, but not the best show, a bit mellow compared to the previous fireworks. Similar on the 30, but ending on a better note, and a nice HS matrix on 7/1. Probably the best recording of the bunch, but again, the 8 and 9 are must hear shows if you dig 79!

5/6/84 thru 6/14/84 up next
    Onward!

• TN John

4/22/78
    Today's the anniversary of this show.
    Peace

• DeadVikes

Love Dave's 21. One of may favorites. Sound quality is A++.

6/10/73- I think may third time through this show and it is so good. Probably my favorite at this point from the box, but I need to listen to the other shows some more. That Eyes is wild. Some really interesting work in the last part of the song. Of course the third set is really fun.

Hope that tracking for #50 hits soon.

• daverock

Speaking of shows that bloom in the presence of shorter songs ( although 4/21/71 may not actually be that particularly), Daves 21 - 4/2/73 is a good listen. Beautiful playing, but for the most part within the confines of more structured songs.

• Forensicdoceleven

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was RIA on 4/21/71. The force was with them. Or was it something in the water? Similar in tone to its hard rocking predecessor Cortland, but with “expanded content”, this is an underappreciated, quasi-classic that actually doesn’t get talked about a lot outside of “1971 aficionado circles”. Things get nicely weird early, five songs in they laid down the big jam sequence, followed by a wonderfully crunchy Hard To Handle. Things continue crunchy in set 2, with a non-drum solo Good Lovin’, a nice NFA suite, and an unusual two song encore which is sweet AND rocking. Highly recommended!

Rock on rockers!

Doc
    I frequently hear music in the very heart of noise.....

• 1stshow70878

At least that 4th disc.
    Saw Dickey with ABB twice.
    Mile High ('74), Red Rocks ('89).
    Cheers
    Diggin' the That's All Right!

• JimInMD

Sixtus' birthday also, if my memory is correct. Good choice. I've only got one listen from that box. Fingers crossed that keeping this short get's it through.

• DeadVikes

RIP Dickie Betts.

Hitting 6/10/73 from last year's glorious box in his honor.

Probably should mix in a E72 show at some point as well this weekend.

• JimInMD

No my first concert, but I saw the brothers with and without Dickie Betts many times (although sadly not with Duane).

As for 4/28/71. One of the greats. Listened to 4/14/78 yesterday. Certainly not the best in the tour but put it all together and Spring 78 was sort of grate.

It's got to be Friday somewhere, so here's to that. Time to start acting like it's going to be a great weekend and hope the planets and stars align accordingly.

Edit: Wow, this is the first post that went through on the first try in a very long time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Not the one from somebodies collection, I think it was the first one?
Yes it’s a ruff, but kinda fun in a way, and not many weird yelling in inappropriate spots etc, lot’s of clapping, but hey their mostly in time! Perhaps not the spaceship of some of its neighbors, but it is fall 72 non the less.
I bet the whole dealy made an impression on young HFs juvenile brain lol. Kudos to you senior freak!

9/16/72: actually hit that one via GOGD awhile back, I marked that I liked it…maybe I’ll hit 9/15 tomorrow as I’ve not yet.

5/5/90: aaa no offense to anyone, but I thought they weren’t prepared this night?
Just Talking out me arse: but after the sick spring tour they were off for a month and might not have practiced etc, I think some of these Cali gigs were considered practice some times.
It has moments, but for a 1990 show I was surprised how inconsistent they were.
After a couple nice soundcheck songs (openers), they had me stoked for a hot H/S/F, and they even sound itching before hand, then…Phil is not on it lol, and Jer steps off the gas and just lays down some chords until they can at least entrain. Perhaps an ambitious choice considering? But hey, I wasn’t there, that’s just what it sounds like…
By Queen Jane the drugs seemed to have settled ; ) and their more dialed in. Rest of the set is ok, but again, I’m comparing to early/mid 90 status quo, so wouldn’t say it was great.
Loved the spacey Playin, Crazy Fingers, but Uncle Js has another big Wiff, and yeah, I’m glad I heard the show, but more so the next night!

5/6/90: this to me, is more what you expect from early 90!
They shook the previous nights cobwebs off, and they sustain that consistent peaceful easy feeling that you’d expect from 90. Glad I finally hit these. I’ve thought the 6th or perhaps 6/24 would make good possible BTL 50th shows since I believe they and Brent’s last on 7/23 are the only shows that sport 4 tunes off the album. From what I recall of 7/23, I wouldn’t think that’d be the one? I know Autzen on the 24 gets love, and it has a good set list, so who knows? (I haven’t heard that one)
Dave will probably pick something from 1988 with 2 album tunes on it lol.
But this Dominguez Hills show on the sixth might work too?

Going to have to hit those Oree gone shows sooner than later…

Sorry DV, I’m running late: supposed to be off and relaxing, but the feed line to the pull out Kitchen facet sprung a leak. Luckily we were here so not too much damage in the finished basement, or gulp, the theatre gear below!
What a racket, have spent good part of 2 days trying to replace a $20 dollar part instead of a new facet for probably hundreds of denaros! But they list no model numbers or any identifiable info, and of course you need the info, because of course there’s no universal type parts, FFS! Oh well, time to prep:
Go Bills!
Go VIKS!

Vguy, yer Fish are starting to scare me! Should be a good one next week.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Another solid night for the Bills. Yes, I can totally see why we didn't want Diggs around anymore?

Yes, a little rough.

Been thinking about 76 and want to offer 6/3/76, the official return of the Dead. Paramount Theatre Portland OR.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

DVikes, Going for a strong start right out of the gate with their first official show after their hiatus... I'm up, have two cups of strong black coffee running through my veins. Nothing but random tasks (not to be confused with odd jobs) scheduled all day which means I can most certainly fit this one in.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Not sure I’ll get tunes today?
That’s ok, I’ve hit those shows somewhat recently.
First night was ok, but like the Dominguez shows perhaps a little Rusty, but by the second night the bugs are gone!
We’ll see how my memory is?
I’ll prolly get a little on in the background…

Sorry bout dem VIKS. Did they play that bad or are the Eagles that good?
I thought the Eagles were in decline, but I don’t know much about NFC?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....don't worry. They're going to suffer their first loss this Sunday when they visit Miami. You heard it here first. 🐬

You maybe right!
Fish are looking strong and their a bit behind the rivalry after last few years, so probably will be pumped to bring it.
Ballers!
Should be a good game!
Whatevs happens, just hope it’s a clean game with no weirdness or the refs mucking it up…

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I used to live in Buffalo. There isn’t a city in this country that is more deserving of a championship than the city of Buffalo. Such great people in that city. I really hope that this is the year.

Edit: not to offend any other city. It’s just that Buffalo has never won a title in any sport. Minnesota at leasrt won with the Twins and Cincy had the Reds in the 70’s just to name a couple

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Wait now, don’t forget the Bandits lacrosse team won a few championships ; )
But yeah, we’re due lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Oroborous, I’m also forgetting that the Bills did win a couple of AFL championships in the mid 60’s, so to rephrase, Buffalo hasn’t won anything in the “modern era” of sports………except for lacrosse of course Ha!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by adedhed68

I've hit this before, but it's been a while (years?). Honestly, I don't think they were rusty as expected, in fact they sounded rather rehearsed. A lyric flub in Wharf Rat, some timing misques, nothing big really.

What I liked was the ethereal swank they settled into, what a groove. And how about JG's tone in the opening jam in Dancin' in the Streets? Opening with a strong, partially audience Might as Well seems appropriate. Love the early Help>Slipknot!>Franklins too. I think we got more in 76 than any other year (or it at least seems that way).

Nice show, a rut remover if ever I have heard one. Thanks DV.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Love the laid back groove of this show as well Jim. First time for me, and I definitely will come back. Sound quality on this 2017 transfer from Miller recorded by Betty is really good. 4 1/2 dancing bears.
Might as well gets it going, good Row Jimmy, great TMNS, really solid Scarlet, Dancing to close the first set.
Crazy Fingers, Wharf Rat into Let it Grow, is this the first version without the WRS? Great stuff. I like this It Must Have Been The Roses. Help Slip Franklins, fantastic. Really nice extended Slipnot here. OMSN and close with the Wheel!
Could be a release at some point?
They played some really good shows at the Paramount in Portland.

What is next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yep, Rusty’s not right. Super mellow, yes.
The third wasn’t quite how I remembered, but I still think you can hear subtle differences the next night as they’re past all the comeback/opening energy etc, and back in the saddle!
Glad I rehashed them, they were a nice enjoyable change, and the space I was in yesterday I appreciated the mellow.
Still can’t believe how mellow the crowd was. Like Phil say something about glad to be back, and there’s almost no crowd. If that had been NY, the place would have gone nuts!
Perhaps that’s why they choose mellow sorta out of the way Portland: to use as warm up shows without as much distraction/media etc? Rehearsal fir the big east coast tour that probably was a media circus, 76 style anyway.
Whatevs, 2 interesting but perhaps slightly different kind of shows, from a different kind of year.
Some old polished chestnuts and some cool new songs that unfortunately didn’t stick around much.
If only they’d thrown in the occasional DS in 76. Can you imagine a DS via that mellow groove…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

And I need work fuel, imma gonna go with more box prep ala 3/7/81 and 9/17/82.
I figure I’ll hit a couple more of these shows this week, then since the release day is supposedly the 27th (which means at least another week before it’s probably in my grubby little hands), next week we fully cleanse!
Looking at more fall 79, more 76 and 77, some 73 or 74, maybe something later, and most def some primal. Nothing cleanse better than some full on primal!
After all the Dicks talk elsewhere, perhaps we can fire up one of those awesome fall 72 DPs on the WE to enjoy under proper conditions? Or,…? Chever way your pleasure tends!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Unusual sets, early versions, good energy. Been really digging this region, looking forward to the box!
Both worth a listen.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

3/7/81 OB?

I will get it going tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Like a north bound train.

Yep, you’ll like that one DV, the 82 was good too.

Today I’m powering my labor with 9/13/83 and 6/30/87.
Somehow I’ve not listened to Manor Downs, and since we were digging on some 87 back aways, I thought we’d dip into the 87 summer tour again.

Tomorrow was thinking to end box prep we’d go 9/18/82 & 9/24/83.
Maybe the Frost 82 this WE?

Next week full cleanse, anything but 81-83 lol.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Cole Field House - March 7, 1981
"Uncle John" tease after "Saint"

setlist

Alabama Getaway
Greatest Story Ever Told
Dire Wolf
Me and My Uncle
Big River
Candyman
C.C. Rider
Jack-a-Roe
Passenger
Bird Song
Looks Like Rain
Deal

Iko Iko
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance
drums
Truckin'
Black Peter
Around and Around
Johnny B. Goode

One More Saturday Night

Madison Square Garden - March 9, 1981
"Wheel" tease before "Good Lovin

setlist

Feel Like a Stranger
Althea
C.C. Rider
Ramble on Rose
El Paso
Deep Elem Blues
Beat it on Down the Line
Bird Song
New Minglewood Blues

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Samson and Delilah
Ship of Fools
Estimated Prophet
Uncle John's Band
drums
The Other One
Stella Blue
Good Lovin'

U.S. Blues

source: dead.net

P.S. I am not a robot

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ok, continuing with box prep 2022 with 9/18/82 & 9/24/83.

Yep, that 3/7/81 was another one, really getting stoked for this box!
And I forgot how rippin 6/30/87 from Canadaland was: musta been somethin I ate ; )
That and the 84 show kinda blur together. I remember we dropped exactly at the border designation point half way across the peace bridge (so if pulled at customs we’d have nothing on us, only in us lol) so by the time we arrived things were getting interesting. You entered through a amusement park which to me looked like we were in a real life Flintstones episode! I remember during the second set being pretty high and needed to walk it off a bit, so went up to the top of the lawn during the killer S/F. I can remember holding on to the iron fence and watching a sick sunset during a ragging Fire on the Mountain, but not much else? If you dig summer 87 you’ll want to check this one out!
That second set is ferocious.

Hey now WTJ, welcome back. How was the road trip in that new buggy?

Ok, big anniversary looming: Frost 10/9 and 10/10/82.
I was thinking of doing them this WE since by Rocktober perhaps we’ll hopefully be in full box immersion and/or be needing to move on etc. But would like to hear some thoughts on that?
So, do we hit the Frost before the box, or wait until, Rocktober sometime???

Sounds like a plan OB. I also want to check out that June 87 show. Looks like there is a relatively new Miller out there.

Gave 3/7/81 a go yesterday and wasn't really in the mood for an audience so went with 5/23/72.

Hopefully we will all have the new box next weekend, but I am not counting on it.

Enjoy yourselves out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Since so many great sources and newer ones always coming in, input on sources for the POT day choice is always appreciated.

Trip with dad in the new ride was bittersweet OB (I'll shoot you a line in a bit). Thanks for asking and Keep the Grate Picks Coming All. :-) :-) :-)

P.S. -edit- From the Seamons: Rule 1 'If you're going to be boogieing, be careful about the level you're at.' Oh, and do stay out of the trees. :-P

Pharoah Sanders opened and his set was uploaded to the utoobs yesterday 9/24 following his passing. it's a pre-FM source, just listened, and it sounds beautiful. Pearson/Healy Miller master of the Dead's sets is available and sounds way good also as I dip my toe into that. maybe do the two-fer. just saying.

Home, so want somthin completely different to hear on actual stereo!
Was thinking 9/27/72 or DP 11?

Have enjoyed the pre box dive, but need to cleanse hard this week so if/when the box shows were ready!

I’ll revisit the last couple days shows right after this commercial break!

Ok, where we’re we?
Frost. 10/9/82, somehow I’d never heard this one but sure glad I finally did.
Definitely a fine show and good recording (Miller though the other SB I tried was just as good)
But as is often the case with a first show after a break, it’s off in spots and is sorta the warm up show.
JG especially seems to be having some troubles, which going by Bobs teasing him about his rig not working (guessing that’s because Bobs gear always seemed to have issues so I bet the band/crew gave him endless crap).
So, first day back to work and your shit don’t work etc. But the occasional snafus certainly do not mean this is not a top show, I just don’t feel it’s consistent enough for release. Big Powerful back side and all, but the next night is a different story!
10/10/82: by the next night all cylinders are firing, Bob especially is having a big night! Best LL Rain? Well, perhaps not the GOAT but…! They come out rocking and rarely let up. This, and excerpts from the 9th would make a nice DaP!
The Miller was good, but I’m not sure about the mix? It seems to be mixed more for the venue as the instruments are often back in the mix comparatively. I should relisten with a good aud as I bet the live sound was fantastic!
Perhaps with the full “treatment”, and/or if there’s another mix somewhere, this one could be spectacular?

Ok, BC, perhaps I’ll try the 5/21 twofer mañana at work, but I needed something different and really needed a official release of something as I’ve been binge streaming on crappy gear or even just my iPad so my ears need it!

So that’s we’re I’m at, hope DV (and you too) are fully digging the Frost shows. If you’ve never, you must!
Onward!

Go Viks!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Still working my way through the Frost shows and really like 10/9/82 so far. Love these early versions of West LA Fadeaway. Fun on the Road Again, Big River, Dupree's, yes! Recording is really good. Nice groove to the show.

Way behind but Dick's 11 sounds good as well as the 92 show from Bluecrow.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Stanley Theater, September 27, 1972

As the man said, ”Morning Dew to open the first set???” And a He’s Gone to open the second set. And a 30 minute Dark Star, into Cumberland no less. And a rare Attics of My Life. It’ll all dew quite nicely…………

Dick’s Picks 11, released June 9, 1998. Is this one that fell through the cracks? Dust it off, it’s dew for a revisit………………

OK yes there’s a patch, but it’ll dew just fine………………..

The dew of compassion is a tear…..

Rock on!!

Doc
But see, Orion sheds unwholesome dews;
Arise, the pines a noxious shade diffuse;
Sharp Boreas blows, and nature feels decay,
Time conquers all, and we must time obey…..

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I'm down with this one. Grate pick Doc, this is just a wonderful show and a really good recording. I have a little smiley face beside this Dark Star, that means that it's mighty fine. Thanks for reminding me how far out this show is.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Monumental show! Really got your money's worth with that huge set list. Sound was VERY good and I had it cranked for Phil's descending bombs in that opening Dew. Loved Paul Grushkin's notes in the liner. Good chronologic description of how it feels as the rush commences. Classic DS>Cumberland and a high energy finish to top it all off.
Glad I got to dust this one off. So much just sitting there waiting. I'm sure I have some Dave's I've only heard once or twice. So much GD, so little time.
Cheers

Good idea OB. It has been a while. Such a good pick Doc also gave it the nod.

24 years later and it is still good. I mean, any show that starts off with a Morning Dew, Bird Song, Brokedown Palace, China Rider Playing all in the first set. Yes and of course that second set Dark Star, Cumberland, Attics? Come on. Easy to see why Dick wanted this one out. What a fun ride.

No box shipping notice yet for me. I did buy my tickets for MUATM for November 1.
2-3 weeks out for the #44 announcement.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It's got a Cumberland.. Honestly, I had not listened to this in a long time also. In the abundance of riches.. so many good shows have been released. I should listen to some of them more.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Wow.

May the four winds spare your safely home.

Did we do 8/3/82 Starlight Theatre KC? Was looking for a hot, not 1972 Cumberland Blues??

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey Jim, sorry for the delay.

I don't think we ever hit 8/3/82, so let's do it. I think OB is keeping the list so I could be wrong.

It doesn't look like we will have the new box this weekend, so let's keep it rolling.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think I hit that this summer when I was bingeing out. Not at home so can’t check my DB, but the set list looks familiar, especially that Shakedown Samson, which spoiler alert the transition is nothing special.
But hey don’t let my overindulgence hold ya back. Fire it up!
I just went too far with the early eighties binge so staying away until box binge.

Enjoyed DP 11 Monday at home in big speakers etc, always loved that whole DS>Cumberland>Attics thread, and a decent Dew opener, yep, definitely a big Dick!

I did hit 5/21/92 yesterday. Ok for 92, perhaps a bit anemic early on but the second set gets going and hey, always enjoy a nice SOTM.
In general, I’m cutting back on Dead a little as I’m kinda burnt lol.
But supposedly the box arrives Saturday by 7:00? Good news is it’s moved rapidly and more efficiently than usual (no criss crossing the state passing within 1.5 miles of our house) bad news is they went with this lane ass sure post garbage so now I have to stress out worrying how they labeled it and if then the PO will except it or send it back, uuugggghhhhhh, why, WHY?? Every other box we’ve gotten has been straight UPS no BS USPS chaser!
It’s bad enough we have to worry about weather Dave’s makes, at least the box’s usually come right to the house!
Sucks not getting mail at home but, Oh well, all good things in all good time!
ONWARD!

Oh, ps Hey Bluecrow, couldn’t find a Pharaoh Sanders on archive?
Where ya find that again?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - search "pharoah sanders 5/21/92 utoob" on the goggles and it should be top result video or near top. It is an audio only source however. It sounds beautiful.

as for the Dead's sets - yeah, it's '92. I thought set I was pretty good sorta sparked by the Pharoah Sanders set. Only made it through the Scarlet > Fire in Set II so far then got distracted. I actually thought energy dropped a little for that but not bad for that year. I thought the source ultramatrix sounded really really fine.

DiP 36 was awesome. Right now listening to Baltimore release from Fall' 72 (DiP 23).

I know some of us have have hit 8/3/82 at at least 2 different times. Not sure if it was ever an "official" POTDWD. Great show from a great tour. Excellent Set I including a Big Railroad and a Might as Well. Then that Shakedown opener Set II plus a To Lay Me Down and a Let it Grow before drumz!! Casey Jones encore says a lot.

No shipping notice yet on box.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Dark DV with laser eyes

Can't remember the show but that sounds like Bob.

Turns out I did get a shipping email on the 28th. Missed it in the flood of junk mail. Box is in Salt Lick as of last night. Hopefully it gets here before I have to skip town for some work. Mail innovations works just fine for me when its shipped out of Cali. From Kentucky? Now that sorta sucked. Having said that the FedEx version is far far worse for those of us who depend on their SLC hub. A package can sit there for weeks before FedEx manages to get it to USPS.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I know where to look now.

DV, shit, I remember that, I had that tape, but can’t recall the show? Definitely Bob lol.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yes, it is definitely Bob.

5/13/77 and a great show.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Springfield Civic Center, October 2 1972

The last show of the wonderful 1972 Fall East coast tour. Worth waiting for? Absolutely!!

Fourteen song first set, twelve song second set (with much jamming and a Dew), the rare Tomorrow Is Forever, and a two song encore. Lacking only a Star, this is about all one could expect from the Dead at this moment of time. In other words, very fine and thank you very much!!

AND there’s a very decent Miller remaster out there. Perhaps an official release one day? We can only hope!!!!

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish……..

Rock on!!

Doc
Have patience with all things, but, first of all with yourself……

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Do you get all this wise advice from books or come up with yourself? :-)

Thanks for the grate picks as always...maybe hit us with an 80's 90's again sometime...:-) :-) :-)

Make it a grateful day all...

I didn't remember that DV. I was thinking maybe a Fillmore East show. Been a long while since i've checked 5/13 out. The first set is a doozy - got the first of those amazing Spring '77 Jack-a-Roes plus that Scarlet > Fire. Last Dead show in the Auditorium, which was a pretty proper place, I think they had Andy Frain ushers working there. After that it was the Uptown which was a bit more tolerant of the scene. Only show I saw at the Auditorium was Garcia and Kahn summer '82.

That Springfield 10/2/72 show is new to me and sounds like a must do.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Word is circulating backstage and pretty soon we will have a full band on stage.Calling Doctor Shot. Dr. Beechwood you are needed on stage immediately. Billy and Mickey played some sort of Prank and the full band wasn't on stage ready to go for TMNS. Funny stuff, of course I wasn't there but they always seemed to have a good time out there.
In a sea of great shows, 5/13/77 and 5/12/77 have been somewhat neglected by me. They shouldn't be. Both are great. There is something about these Peggy Os and Terrapins. Yes, Bluecrow, that Other One from 5/13 is hot. Love the 77 Jack a Roes. Stella Blue GDTRFB.
Of course Phil back in 77 no longer singing but giving us the Thank you and Goodnight!
Did you guys get your MSG Box Sets?

Mine is showing a Thursday delivery date. Looking forward to it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I sure don't remember that from my FM tape back in the day! Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be either! I'm sorta in the same boat DV, my attention's has been on other shows in this tour and it's been ages. I have that box, but was streaming it today, jumped in at FOTD. Just now going back to the opening songs. A fun listen.

edit -went to the official release and the Dr. Beechwood "banter" is edited and a good portion is missing.

scheduled for delivery tomorrow but figured UPS handed off this afternoon, so went and asked before the PO closed

I like it

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

A portion of it was played on GD Hour at some point in the 90’s if I recall correctly.
I taped it and that was the best sounding copy of that show (partial) that I ever had, until the Box came out.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Been a bit occupied, but I like the prospect of revisiting 5/12 and 5/13 tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, for those of us still waiting on our boxes, how does 4/11/89 sound?

There is a Miller from 2019 recorded by Pearson and Healy.

For those with your boxes, I understand and enjoy.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

They played 4/6/89 Ann Arbor on Sat Radio tonight and I was unexpectedly stuck in my truck waiting for almost the entire show. Rolled it into 4/11 Rosemont when I got home making it through the end of the first set.

Solid, typical spring 89. I'm a sucker for Memphis Blues and the deal was hot as was the Shakedown opener. I tend to gravitate towards fall '89 over spring and summer '90 but that's just personal preference. Spring was the warm up but it's quite solid, typically well played and as the year progresses the songs and shows begin to show their legs. For me the turning point is 9/29 Shoreline but the whole year is really quite solid.. it just grows and grows.

Hope to hit the rest menyata.. Wasn't able to side trip on Spring 77 as planned. Life is unpredictable. Sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Looks as though tomorrow I'll do pretty much the same. Good pick.