• 7,734 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

Yes lol

Luv me sum 7/76 Orpheum shows!
    But

I’m rolling through spring 69, getting into ridiculously good April.
    Next stop, the Ark!
    Onward!

Cheese and rice John, everyday for ten years!
    Not sure how you do it, guess no choice eh?
    May the force be with you!

• DeadVikes

Good idea, I think I will join you in the bonus disc from Dave's 18. It has been a long time.

Then, Dave's #30, 1/2/70.

• 1stshow70878

Not as much a suggestion as a question.
    Is it King Solomon's Marbles or Stronger Than Dirt?
    Did 1 From the Vault today and was chasing blues for Allah stuff.
    Cheers
    Think I'll just do the DaP 18 bonus disc which does not list the Stronger Than Dirt between Playin' and Cosmic Charlie (or the Samson after) even though Deadbase lists it.
    Edit - It's more like a stronger than dirt jam but could just as easily be called part of Playin'. Love this disc!

• TN John

Thanks Jim and Oro!
    We've been dealing with this for 10 years now.
    Unfortunately, it has become normalized for us.
    Daily chemo tablets, and occasional phlebotomies.
    We are fortunate compared to some of the other people we see at Ingram Cancer Center.
    "Once in a while, you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right"
    Vibes to your family as well Jim.
    Peace

• Oroborous

Cancer!
    Work!
    and ESPECIALLY Greedheads!

Good thoughts coming y’all’s way, we are everywhere!

PT, you’ll love this one. So since I’m not fired, just PT, the bastardos try to call me up Friday so I could give them info that would make their life significantly easier lol
    I texted next day saying you folks are shameless and “sorry, too busy reassembling my life after the cowardly sucker punch” to worry about helping you
    Ok, too much pain and too much sorrow here, (hopefully) won’t be the same tomorrow!
    Back to my spring 69 project, should be through February by end today
    These short shows are beneficial to major box checking!
    ONWARD

• DeadVikes

Will do TN John.

Roberts Western World was a cool spot.

• PT Barnum

yeah, I was also mistreated by employer(s) doesn't matter if you are the best at what you do, if the cost of keeping a talented individual outweighs the benefits of keeping that same person, then, everytime, the powers that be will cut you, and sometimes that cut is deep.
    Just the other day I was saying to my better half, "work sucks and I don't want to do it anymore". She said, "quit, the world won't end" so I did but not before telling the twit who was the immediate supervisor just what I thought of her. Lazy, stupid and crazy, that's what they picked over a vet who worked ass off. So, I just went in and quit, felt quite good actually. Now, I am officially retired. Time to veg out, relax and smoke em if you got em.

• JimInMD

A tough weight to carry, sending good wishes to you and your son. We've got a bit of that going on in our family too. We are half in denial and half accepting what's to come.

• TN John

You were right up the road from me in Nashville.
    My son's Oncologist is in Nashville.
    Give me a shout if you ever head this way again.
    Peace

• billy the kiddd

Great show, I was fortunate to have been there. The Dead played great, seeing Garcia play pedal steel was worth the price of admission.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

The Vikes have been winning ugly this year OB, so winning in Buffalo will be a tall order. Should be a good game. Enjoy it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

A win is a win!
Still not sure what the hell happened, but the Bills did everything they could to lose and the VIKS did what they had to do to win. On top of everything else I have going on, the Bills lately ain’t helping my mental health.
No tunes aren’t helping either!
Did get 11/9/73 in and some southing Jazz, but I’m way behind : (
Man I love fall 73!
I hate having to choose, but IF I was forced, I’d probably claim fall 73 as my top dog? Woof!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

What a game OB, probably one of the best games I have seen in years and what a crazy finish. A huge win for the Vikes on the road.

It definitely could have gone another way.

The Bills still have a great team, hang in there.

Just finished 11/11/73 today. Hard to pick favorites with this three show run, but man, the 11th is really enjoyable.

The WRS, Half Step, Big River into Dark Star into Eyes, is pretty hard to beat. Love it!

Thanks for pointing us in this direction Jim.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Grate Box.

Goes to show, a 3-show + bonus disc Box can sell.
Boxes that size could be part of the 2-Boxes-per-year plan I’ve been calling for.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Still hating myself for not buying this one!
Back then I wasn’t collecting things, in fact, I was one of those “I have too much already etc.
That plus my cousins used to do business with GDP so they’d often get free stuff that I had access to.
So I thought WTH do I need to buy that for, idiot!
FW was off my radar, E72 I couldn’t afford at the time, but WL 73…IDIOT, especially it was not expensive!
Oh well, if your going to be dumb, then you better be tough (or rich).

Anywho, did get 11/10 on in the background while I joust at greedy immoral insurance companies.
Hoping to give 11/11 a good go mañana.
Fall 73 baby! Boo-yah

Yeah Conekid, that’s what I’ve been saying, put out a big dog, perhaps at lower numbers, and also a small boxes too annually! Think there should be 5 Dave’s a year also, I mean their market will be dwindling rapidly, what the hell are they waiting for!

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day Trifecta:

November 15, 1969 Crockett, California. A beefy show, with a good dose of grease, but currently sonically lacking. We need an upgrade! Is there a “new & improved” copy in those banana boxes? Let’s pray to the gods of reel-to-reels. And for all you Lovelight haters, lol this one clocks in at almost 43 minutes!

November 15, 1971 Austin, Texas. An oh-so-cool show that was officially released back in 2010. Fine Truckin’ opener, sweet first set Star, fierce NFA transition jam. Just plain yummy and certainly worthy of a revisit……………

November 15, 1972 Oklahoma City. Typically fine late 1972 show. Bird Song, Box Of Rain, Cumberland, China/Rider to close the first set (love that position!), jammy Playing, fine NFA suite. Music to our ears!!!

Three tapestries, tattered at the edges and come unwoven to reveal a single mutual thread……

Rock on!!!

Doc
The out-of-tuneness of the triad is part of its beauty…………

As I have been scoping out various unreleased and off the beaten path primal to cowboy transition shows 68/69 (like Bellarmine 12.7.68), here Doc goes with a fall 72 gem just before Dave's 11 and the sweet Hofheinz duo. Keeper show, mandated by discovery there's an extended 31 plus minute PITB. How many more calls for the Ark shows do we need, maybe 2023 is the year. And add the Cl-, the show at Cl-Ark just before that, apparently the origination on 4/20 of 420 tradition.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

in the 30 trips box, second set is so fine. the other one 3 times.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Mornin', fellow rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Albuquerque, November 17, 1971

Obviously, needs no explanation. And by the way, dedicated to Strider Brown.......

Was once the Holy Grail of 1971 Grateful Dead recordings. What's next? Soundboard of December 5 1971? 46??? Say a prayer.................

If you haven't heard this, where you been living? In a cave? Come on out, listen and step into the light.....

It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind............

Rock on!!!

Doc
Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious........

In hindsight, they should have put out an 11/17 mini-boxset. 11/17 from 1971, 1972 and 1973.

Or, they could have gone big and released them all.

11/17/68- Eagle's Auditorium - Seattle, WA
11/17/71- Albuquerque Civic Auditorium - Albuquerque, NM
11/17/72- Century II Convention Hall - Wichita, KS
11/17/73- Pauley Pavilion, UCLA - Los Angeles, CA
11/17/78- Uptown Theater - Chicago, IL
11/17/78- Loyola College - Chicago, IL
11/17/85- Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA

Either way, it would have been a winner.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I always thought they should have put a big Fall 73 box out, especially those unique last ten shows!
Fudge, I’m so far behind, on everything, guess I’m going to have to make a date night with 11/17 lol.
Still have that magnificent 11/11 to get too, let alone the others here I’ve missed.
And the way life’s been lately, going to need a big dose of 12/6, (for medicinal purposes only of course!)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

They played the killer portion of 11/17/72 yesterday on Today in GD History. Those two shows seem to go together pretty well. Just saying.

I'm always behind OB.. but believe it or not.. my backlog of crap I have not been able to do is little by little getting done. I need to get my skis ready for the season but my time is starting to free up. Holy cow.. the options.

In fact.. my morning chores are complete, I am caught up with work and it's Friday. I think it's time to take a little tincture and super charge the beginning of the weekend.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

on the drive back to Smokey the Bear land several days ago got a good night driving listen into Disc 3 of !1/9/73 and full show of 11/11/73. All great fall '73 of course, but man o man that Dark Star > Mind Left Body > Eyes of the World > China Doll is without question one of my favorite sequences of dead music (of course I do have more than a few favorite "children"). Love it love it love it.

Also listened again to the new Dave's from Autzen and just want to say that LLR > Crazy Fingers was magical.

Not traveling with the 11/17's from Albaturkey and Pauley so they'll have to wait. That '78 Rambler Room craziness took place less than 10 miles from the family home - so close. No good soundboards of the first 2 nights, including 11/17, of the Uptown Theatre run taking place at that time, but a sweet SBD of night 3 - 11/18/78. Awesome show - release worthy for me - that I pointed to awhile ago as a POTD. encourage folks to check it out or revisit if they did listen to it back then (why it's a TDIGDH).

Enjoy the weekend. Onward!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I’ve been holding off on 11/11, hoping today might be the day!
After a week of no tunes, got a good night in.

Started with that awesome 12/6/73 disc, but I put the China-Rider after the DS/Eyes, while slamming a Fremont Dark Star Stout to get things going and back toward some balance of sanity. This darkness got to give…

Then ABB Ludlows Garage, then a big session with much of 11/17/73. Yep, forgot just how gooey that jammy Samich is! Crikey mate!
I only hit HCSS, Race is On, and BEW off disc one, but did pretty much the rest, though things were getting a little foggy by the end. But when I came back to I had some beer left so fired up the Dark Star>drums>space>Wheel from 10/26/89. Though I was out again during Wheel only to be jarred awake by NFA.
Still can’t believe I had tix and didn’t go : (
Anywho, good session, hopefully more today,
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Popped in 2/19/71, Three from the Vault, this morning. Sometimes you just need a heavy dose of Pigpen. Multi Track delight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Didn't even know I had this gem.
First Bird Song, first Deal.
Cheers
Edit: Found it next to a mislabeled aud. CD copy of Cincinnati Gardens 12-4-73. Said Dec. 3,1975 but the 5 was blurry. This on one CD? 12 song 1st set, only 4 song 2nd set according to DeadbaseX. Next in the queue.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Definitely my favorite of the run and one of the best of the year!
Love that Smokestack O Snow-lightning!

Getting prepped for 11/11/73

GO VIKS!
I can say that again now that the embarrassment has subsided lol

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

a chunk of the show was released as the bonus disc for Winterland '73 box set - yes there was even a "bonus disc" for that awesome box! Short show because band arrived late from Boston. Ages since I've listened to the disc but did snag it for this session for that reason and might throw it in on the way home.

2/19/71 is always on the menu!

but right now took my own advice and am listening to 11/18/78 Uptown (got snowed out of work today). just now listening to the awesome meltdown at the tail end of Other One - swear to goodness that at one point Jerry is playing the repeated "riff" from the original Twilight Zone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, this run is so great and we are lucky they recorded it in Multi Track.

Dark Hallow, what a great Easy Wind. Why did this song not make it to Europe?

And of course the first Bird Song!

The Vikes are off to a good start OB, that's all you can say right now. It is a long season. The Bills still look good.

Stay warm out there, at least we aren't in Buffalo. Hope they can dig out soon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I recently revisited the released versions of these shows (I wouldn't be surprised if I posted accordingly). I can't believe how good they sound. I realize the band didn't use these shows for Skull and Roses, probably because Mickey had more or less just left and there were so many new songs they were still breaking in.. but wow this is a great run of shows.

Oh, and you are right DV, Blair did survive just barely into the Dave's Picks series. Sort of about the time the Road Trips ended. Missed it by that much.

Edit: Sometimes when I am out and about and the pick of the day is something I have not converted digitally yet.. I go rogue and do a string of released shows. Last month I had such a moment and hit the whole run. I do love how this forum has shed light on some under the radar and not yet released shows, but like a warm cup of good hot chocolate on a cold winters night.. some of these already released classics are food for the soul and joy for the mind. Sometimes it feels like we wallow in an abundance of riches, and I'm not complaining.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey there fellow rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Cal Expo, November 21, 1969

Back in the day we had only a partial copy of this. It wasn’t February 28, but due to the relative scarcity of 1969 soundboards at the time, we did savor it. It had much to recommend it. Later, complete recordings surfaced. It’s fairly “standard” repertoire, and yes there’s no Dark Star or Other One, but it’s still definitely worth a listen.

Oh by the way, did I mention there’s some decent greasy goodness as well?

The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness……..

Rock on!!!

Doc
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure……

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Thanks BC for identifying my mystery disc.
It is the bonus disc from the Winterland '73 box.
Couldn't figure out the chopped up set list to find it in my Deadbase X.
I mistook it for the bonus disc for RT 4 No 3 Denver '73.
It got shuffled around when I moved my collection to a new CD storage rack earlier this year. Relabeled and correctly shelved now. Oddly no scorch marks on it like Vguy's and Jim's adventures.
Cheers

Edit: That research showed the RT '73 bonus disc has a 43:33 Dark Star. Wowzer!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

looking forward to rediscovering that 12/4/73 disc!

saw your post under Rosemont 3/11/93 jam of the week and Ken Nordine. Did you know he was part of "Oregon Trail Mix" a fundraising sketch for the local public radio station that was broadcast at the 8/21/93 show at Autzen. Healy played it over the PA before Set II(?) or maybe before Set I. It was a definite WTF am I hearing at the time. See my comment on that thread if interested in hearing it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Was he also at a New Years broadcast?
That sonorous baritone!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Well one of them. Just gave all my 85 GD Hour tapes to a novice Deadhead to listen to on his commute. Good indoctrination as David Gans has all eras and digital masters straight from the vault. That way we won't bias the guy right off the bat, lol. GD Hour on radio is what brought me back on the bus in the early 90's. Thanks other David!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

The GDHour was like a gold mine for many of us back in the day. I can still picture myself listening in amazement to the 10/19/73 Dark Star sequence released years later as DP 19 (show 245 as it turns out from end of may 1993). 368 was "rebroadcast" on this site week of 4/15/20 and can still be found and streamed here. it includes a backstage conversation with Garcia, Nordine, and Jack Ellis from 12/31/91. Not sure if I ever heard it, and for all purposes at this point it would be new to me even if I did hear it back in the day.

edit - it's a great little convo!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Here is a change of pace for you all, 6/12/80, Portland Oregon. I am diving in.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.
We had two yesterday, busy day, so no Dead yesterday.

I would recommend 6/12/80, great show and a good recording.

What is on tap for today?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'll be sure to check it out. i knew this show was associated with an ash plume from Mt St Helens that reached Portland, legend had the eruption occuring during Fire. I always thought it was from the big one but turns out a secondary eruption ~3 weeks later.
Yesterday's 30 days was a Might As Well > Samson from Oro's home country (Rochester War Memorial 9/27/76). Kept streaming on relisten from that point on and found it highly entertaining. Recommend no peeking at the set list. Not sure if this was ever a POTD but new to me (so it seemed). A case where I didn't realize '76 was just what the doctor ordered until I listened.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

6-12-80 from a Tapers, Jam of Week, or GD Hour not too long ago?
I remember the reference to the eruption during Scarlet>Fire. A hot one, lol!
Agree with BC that 9-27-76 needs investigating after hearing the Samson.
Love Jerry's noodling on that one. 30 days has me engaged more than usual.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Hey 9/27/76 sounds good to me Bluecrow, thanks.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey rockers!!!!

Pick Of The Day: San Antonio November 26 1972

This is dedicated to Phil Carson, where ever/however/whoever he may be…….

The Dead close out their November 1972 tour in typically fine form, although one rarely hears about this specific show. Oldies, rockers, cowboy songs, Europe 72 material, all presented very nicely indeed. Due to “sonic issues” this is a challenging listen, but worth the deep dive. Ear candy, for sure…………

Clearly, the highlight is the Dark Star. I’m no Dark Star expert (KeithFan, we need ya!!) but this one is real nice. Its starts out somewhat gently, true exploratory mode, perhaps even subtle. After the first verse we get treated to some thunderous Leshiana, followed by a well formed “Feelin’ Groovy jam” before the band diverts into deep space before it all dissolves into Me & Bobby McGee. Very good copies of this sequence do circulate and are certainly worth a listen!!!

People (me included!!) have been clamoring for a Texas 72 box set for quite some time. Can the vault tapes be brought up to official release quality? Therein lies the challenge for the esteemed Mr Norman. A mini-box of Austin-Dallas-San Antonio would be oh-so-cool. Part of first Houston was officially released already (hell ya, check that out too!). I’m guessing they’ll hold back the sublime second Houston for a single release----maybe 46????

The definition of insanity in Texas is so insane that it's impossible to be insane in Texas…….

Rock on!!!

Doc
One thing about Texas people, they're very passionate about their Rock N' Roll, and I love it…….
P.S. We were at the 76 Rochester show and had a blast. Especially the second set......

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Doc and others, what do you know about the mini TX tour of:
2-20-70 Panther Hall, Ft. Worth
2-21-70 Civic Center Arena, San Antonio
2-22-70 Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston
2-23-70 The Auditorium, Austin
Got nuthin' in the Deadbase
Thanks and cheers
P.S.There's a frequent poster here who knows Mr. Carson well, but there's no telling where he might be. Check remote wilderness areas and unmapped dirt roads. You may find him on his tailgate serenading antelope.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Not sure if I’ll get any Dead in (I know, I know, but ya don’t have to throw shit)
But I’ve noted 6/12/80, 9/27/76, and 11/26/72 into the record.
Which reminds me I need to document the last couple weeks…
The 72 I might try to get a taste of, I bet the 80 is good, and that Crotchfester show might be argued one of the years best! It’s surprising how under the radar this show is?
I have older friends like BOO469 who say that was the best show they ever saw! Front row of course!
You Definitely want to check that one out and yeah, don’t peak! Well, peaking is good, no looking lol

6/12/80 is the only show between 6/7 and 6/21 I haven’t checked out, but will try since I’ve liked these shows!
It’s definitely a nice tour, need to hit the first 4 some time too.

Phil Carson? Does Phil Carson even KNOW Phil Carson?
But hey, what would be the answer to the answer man?

GO VIKS! Hellava game! 2 roller coaster affairs, Daaa Bills and Daaa VIKS! Proper!
Now if only I could source my 10 case years supply of Anchor Xmass beer, down to my last 12er from last year : (

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I was hoping to hold off on commenting about this show until February 23, 2023, but lol, somebody has apparently forced my hand.......

There is a pretty good circulating soundboard copy of most of the February 23, 1970 Austin show. Lineage is SBD>MR>C>DAT>CDR, Vernon remaster through the Music Never Stopped Project back in 2002. The first electric set and the acoustic set are very decent quality, second electric set has a bit of distortion.

Here's what's there:

Electric Set 1: //I Know You Rider>High Time-Dire Wolf false start (PA adjustments) > Dire Wolf

Acoustic Set: Yellow Dog Story-Monkey And The Engineer-Little Sadie-Me And My Uncle (some distortion on vocals)-Black Peter-Seasons Of My Heart>Uncle John's Band

Electric Set 2: Not Fade Away > Good Lovin' tease>Mason's // Children

Anbody who needs/wants, you know where to find me.

I have never seen or even heard rumor of circulating recordings of any kind of the other Februay 1970 Texas shows, and I've been looking for over 40 years now. It's my understanding that Bear travelled/recorded up through the NOLA shows in early February 1970, so maybe all those are in those banana boxes.

One is never afraid of the unknown; one is afraid of the known coming to an end.

Doc
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.......

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Talk about synchronicity..............

Charlie Miller just put out a complete remaster of the November 26, 1972 show. Anybody who needs/wants, drop me a PM......

LOL fair warning, it's VERY bassy................

Doc
We do not create our destiny; we participate in its unfolding. Synchronicity works as a catalyst toward the working out of that destiny........

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey rockers!!!

This just in from my spies at TPTB:

New for 2023 will be a megabox. TEXAS. It'll be big, just like the state.........

Texas February 1970 (banana box breakout)
Texas November 1971 (minus 11/15)
Texas November 1972 (minus 11/18)

Preoders accepteed through next April 1. It might just sell out, call now!!!

A friend should be a master at guessing and keeping still: you must not want to see everything........

Rock on,

Doc
I like keeping people guessing. I like to have fun with them wondering if I'm sane or not.......
P.S. I will go shut up now. Unless Phil Carson calls.............

Theoretically he could have been spinning tape until 7/15/70 when he was fully incarcerated. His bail was revoked on 2/22 after the Nola bust, but he somehow yet again got out until 7/15 when he was remanded and started his sentence with his return being the August 72 BCT shows…
I guess only Dave knows for sure and he ain’t talkin!

EDIT: enjoyed 11/26/72, though the hiss was tough at times. Status quo fall 72 with another awesome Dark Star!

Enjoyed this show Bluecrow. Recording is really good. A few patches here and there, but nothing major. Great second set sequence. I have always been a fan of extended Franklin's.
And you were at this show Doc. Must have been a blast!

76, such an interesting return and so many great shows. I always wondered what they were up after their last show at the Shrine on October 15. They return of course to the Cow Palace on 12/31 and deliver an unbelievable show, still one of my favorite releases.

Those were some great games on Thanksgiving OB, go Bills. They are looking good.

Hope your Father is doing better Jim.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

glad you enjoyed that DV! I love those Phil heavy Help intros from this era. On that first exploratory listen I was blown away by the move from Slipknot into the Other One > Wharf Rat. One of those classic '76 twistin and turnin segue fests. Great show all around. Keith is really digging in from the get-go. Doc and Boo seal of approval. Just now cuing up Set II from the that last Shrine show of the year 10/15. Hadn't realized this show has the post '74 return of He's Gone, and then it didn't show up again until late May '77.

That mini Texas tour February 1970?? Had never noticed that in the old Deadbase. That a partial SBD from Austin circulates gives hope that the rest may surface.

Speaking of Texas, still need to check out 11/26/72.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Managed to sneak in about 3/4s of yet another solid show from a good tour yesterday!
Think I’ve checked out all, including Nitecats fine Boulder Auds, except the first four shows, and they’ve all been at least good, not a dud in the bunch!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Snowy day here in MN.

How about a Dr. Bob Wagner/Miller 1/10/79 Nassau Coliseum?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Not sure if I’ll get to it, but I’ve heard it and it’s a beauty!
Wish they had tapes as this plus highlights from my first on 1/20 would have made a great second of the year Dave’s.
My understanding is no tapes?
Oh well, maybe someday…

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Thanks Oroboros for the kind words about my Boulder 80 recordings. Bluecrow, I was at the show in Portland 6/12/80, and after the show, the ash storm from Mt St Helens was so intense the whole city got dusted, including their rose celebration decorations. In our hotel room, TV news reported that everyone should stay indoors, and that the airport was grounded and the state bridge was closed. We had air tickets to fly to Seattle the next day for the next show. We hung out in the greyhound bus station, and at about 3 in the am they decided to send a bus to Seattle, and we took it. Driving on the freeway was like driving through a serious blizzard. You couldn't see very far in front of you. The driver took it real slow. We arrived in Seattle at something like 6 in the am.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I think it was Nitecat that asked for any info about 31 Days of Dead 2022. In any case, I just got an email from Ed Martin, and looks like he's gonna do it again this year:

Hello my friends!!! It's that time of the year again. I’m very excited to bring you another installment of the 31 Days of Dead. Most of you know the drill, but for those who don't here is some background...

Similar to what dead.net does in November, I pick a live track (or tracks) for download each day in December and do a quick write-up. Unlike the “Official 30 Days of Dead,” there is no contest here. Instead, the prize is the music and the winner is the listener.

I started these annual projects in 2010. I had no idea where this would go, nor did I care. I did it for no reason other than my own personal enjoyment - I still do. To my surprise, what started as daily email blasts to a small group of friends has grown to an Instagram account that has over 35k followers. I am grateful to every single one of you for the love you have shown. Follow me on Instagram at @31daysofdead

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Any interest in either of the Nov/Dec '79 Stanley theatre Shows in Pitt? 11/30 and/or 12/1. A great little Vaudeville theatre with impeccable sound.

I always liked these shows when compared to some of their peers.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim, absolutely!

I will get started with 11/30 tomorrow.

Check out that 1/10/79 when you get a chance. The audience recordings bring back a lot of memories for me in the eighties. I sometimes forget how these sound due to all the officially released material I normally listen to. Anyway, enough babbling, it is a fun ride.