• 7,815 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

• DeadVikes

Did you say 79 OB? I think I have poked around a bit during that time period and noticed a lack of SBs. Reminds me a lot of 1980, where the SBs are lacking. Hey anyway, I will check out some of the audience recordings OB. Nice job and bring on a 79 Box before we all get too damn old.

No shipping notice yet over her for #50.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

. . . sounds good to me. Despite the fact I love 2/15 and 2/19 I don't really know these shows despite having listened to them at some point.

Oro I hope you don't think i was giving you a hard time. I was just surprised. Lord knows it's hard to keep up sometimes. Almost a full time job to give it all a dedicated listen. There's a lot of music out there!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Sounds good to me.

Sorry I've been amiss. Struggling with time lately. Between my son playing HS basketball and balancing out surgeries for my folks back East I seem to be treading water just getting my work done. It's sort of put me in a music rut. Funny, you sometimes shun the one thing that can see you through. Spring '73 sounds good.

Edit: I guess it's really Winter '73. A very creative year for the boys.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey there rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: The Warehouse, New Orleans January 31, 1970

The events that begat Truckin’, a well known day in Grateful Dead lore. LOL the revolution is over, everybody go home, remember obedience to the law is the only true freedom. We know the history, but what of the music itself??

The Dead start off nicely with their own unique brand of electric enlightment, including a mid set Morning Dew, Mason’s, and a short but greasy Hard To Handle, after which a “severe technical problem” (Phil’s busted amp) prompts an impromptu acoustic set that is filled with nice oddball tunes such as Long Black Limousine, Seasons Of My Heart, Saw Mill, and Bound In Memories. Maybe not classic, but certainly interesting and worth a listen!

Bear travelled to these shows and we assume he recorded them. Are the reels in those still mysterious banana boxes???

Men who wish to know about the world must learn about it in its particular details…..

Rock on,

Doc
The way up and the way down are one and the same…..

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Picks Of The Day: Crystal Ballroom, Portland February 2 & 3 1968

Freedom in general may be defined as the absence of obstacles to the realization of desires….

Let’s continue our primal stroll through the Pacific Northwest in early 1968. Dedicated to the memory of Dick Latvala, who showed that releasing early 1968 shows could be done, and done well……..

February 2: Probably just a fragment, but if there are only fragments, Lord let it be like this. Relatively short, sharp, intense Viola Lee followed by the very interesting CE/TOO/CE/Clementine/Schoolgirl sequence.

February 3: The following night features generous amounts of jamming and a decent dose of grease. Some things have not yet reached expansive lengths yet, but definitely still worth a listen…

The circulating Miller remasters are very nice and highly recommended. Are better quality, more complete recordings in those banana boxes? What are the obstacles? Release the reels!!!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this…..

Rock on!!

Doc
A hallucination is a fact, not an error; what is erroneous is a judgment based upon it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Enjoyed this show. Sound quality was decent. Nice Box of Rain, Sugaree, China Rider. That Half Step Truckin, Eyes, Stella Blue was pretty sweet. Nice Phil funk at the end of Truckin. Moving on to 2/22 next.
Thanks OB and yes, good to see you in The Almanac.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Smoking! Recording is fantastic. A few minor issues during Wave that Flag, but I would give it 5 dancing bears overall.
Good first set Birdsong. Another fine Box of Rain and a good Playing to close the first set. Shorter Dark Star into Eyes is really good. GDTRFB. Good Casey Jones closer. I would definitely listen to this show again.
Nice job OB. What do you all think?

On to Doc's 70 pick tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

This job I gots just a little too hard…

Your synopsis of both shows pretty much covers it.
Can’t get enough of those 73 Dark Stars, Eyes, etc!
I did 2/17 also last WE for extra credit and it’s better than the set list might indicate.
The HCSS>China Cat>Rider is worth the price of admission alone!
Good sheet Mon!

Definitely going to need to fill up the ole dead bank again this WE.
The other one has to work so I’ll be looking for some hi fi Dead like my sanity depends on it…which it does!
Perhaps 45 if the phuching USPS pulls their head outta their arse!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hit 10/1 of Vol 45 with a 1/31/70 chaser.
Quite the juxtaposition! From Hollywood smooth clean dead, to raucous ruff & dirty dead lol.
Interesting show. Starts out ruff but builds nicely.
Good Dew, great HTH! Masons always fun, if perhaps a little sloppy, and the acoustic set was awesome!

The warehouse, okay what was this venue? Recording is really good. As you said OB, raw is a good way to describe it, until the equipment blew.
Enjoyed the show, good Dire Wolf, Big Boss Man, Morning Dew. Different acoustic songs in the mix to close the show. Interesting show.
Thank you Doc.

Like the new picture OB. Sweet poster. I hear you on the work front. Hard to squeeze them in sometimes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hit 10/2/77, thinking set one of 11/6 for comparison and/or jam section of 10/18/72 since y’all were sniffing around there recently I believe?
Representing DV after my 15 seconds of fame lol.
Poster came to me outta left field like much of the better things GD over the years!
In 85 I believe my cousin saw it somewhere, snagged it, then later gave it to me for Xmass.
One of my most prized possessions.

EDIT: first set of 11/6 rocks, definitely a difference.
10/18/72 Disc 2, Magnifico! That’s just what the Dr ordered!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey OB, did you notice any distortion on 10/18?

I think 10/17 and 19 sound spectacular.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I only listened to disc 2, but yeah, now that you mention it…
Seemed to get more noticeable near the end?

I notice occasionally on 71-72s…some is just the actual distorting of the amps from playing loud…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks for looking into it OB.
I have noticed it on all three CDs from 10/18. I don't hear it on 10/17 or 10/19, which I think are both smoking!

I have to revisit this.. but I think I recalled thinking something similar and attributed it to someone spinning the master reel a couple times too many before they locked it away. All three nights are good, but 10/18 is probably my favorite of the bunch, it would not surprise me a bit that someone on the inside thought so too. That and the BCT shows a month and a half earlier are both special runs from a special year.

For kicks and giggles.. check out the Morning Dew from 5/26/72 at the Lyceum from the E72 box and then listen to it from the version on Europe 72. There is static on the box set version where the original sounds crystal clear. The masters degrade especially when people with two left thumbs (like me) handle them. A lot of the early shows suffer from this, listen to 4/18/70 (the Mountain Girl returned reels) sound and frankly a lot of 69.

Well, at least someone remembered to hit record. Didn't Sony or one of the other music houses have their entire archive burn down a decade or so ago? Image the horror if GD masters were lost in a fire.🔥🔥🔥😭

Been gone a bit lately.. spending quality time in the hospital with my aging parents. They seem to be on the mend though, which puts me back home and in good spirits. I hope to participate more as I get back on line with work and fun.

Thanks for keeping the train a rollin' guys.

The '72 shows from the not quite the Fox Box have been in and out of the disc drive several times the past few weeks. All great for sure. I know first run through that it was the 10/19 jam that really kinda floored me. Yesterday listening to 10/18 again with the sound quality question in mind. One thing that struck me was that Keith sounded muddy and almost sort of kind of out of tune. I pay a lot of attention to Keith's playing, especially the "earlier days." Something was off and my guess was it was a SBD thing, how he was miked, and not Keith. (Edit - or as Jim suggests maybe some tape degradation.) Bobby's guitar also sounded a bit fuzzed in a recording artifact kind of way, though not unpleasant in any sense. But none of that stopped me from a thoroughly enjoyable listen. There was a point during the Dark Star where I was suddenly in a zone of complete wonder - a place that reminded me of my first deep "now I understand" listen to the Rotterdam Dark Star (on my weird balance SBD many many years before the box.) A really very cool place to be inside the music. So yes, that Disc 2 is some serious magic. One thing struck me as funny is Donna's yell in the Playing Reprise. I have no issues with her singing in those early days, truly dig it. And that Donna Playing ROAR was maybe the most primal vocalization I've ever heard from her. She was feeling the "Holy Spirit" big time!! Loved her quick soft little "Thank you Thank you Thank you" after it was all said and done. Another truly epic jam sequence.
Listening to 10/19 Disc 1 right now this morning. Keith is hard right - i think he was slightly left of center 10/18. A little lower in the mix, tone sounds better to my ear. I'd have to do a hard A / B to be sure that my thoughts are correct on that. Now on Sugaree and Keith's piano and Jerry's vocals have now moved to center of the sound stage. I think Keith sounds a little better than 10/18 but still a tiny bit muffled? Maybe its my brain, who knows.
Thanks DV for suggesting 10/18 awhile ago. I feel like these are my first really good deep listens to the '72 shows from that box. Like you said, great stuff. I ran through '73 a week or so ago and need to revisit that. At the time I remember thinking that the '72 resonated with me more and given that '73 is generally a big fat sweet spot for me I know that my head may have been ever so slightly out of alignment.
To echo KeithFan over on the 45 thread - I'm really really digging Dave's 45. Spectacular sound. Great playing. Boy are we some lucky Deadheads. It was 10/1 Set II that really got me first run through. The Black Peter is so freaking gorgeous. And then the "random current" of that CB or whatever for a couple seconds and its like oh my freaking goodness. I can only laugh. Really, Universe? I first heard 1/31 NOLA last year while exploring a little around the 2/6/70 Fox (personal favorite.) I remember being very pleasantly surprised to find that they played that acoustic set. I think every single acoustic set they have in the vault needs to be released. Gave 1/31 acoustic another run through Sunday morning. Woke up from a short nap late Sunday afternoon and had Sawmill chorus running through my head again and again. I"m like "What is this song? where do I know it from? Oh Yeah, Bobby sings it on 1/31!" Talk about a poor boy, talk about a poor boy, let me have a dollar bill.
Nice Poster Oro!! Your first show! Glad that the Almanac shone a light on your post - hadn't seen it. Another beautiful day here in paradise. Always loved this time of year in the high desierto. Onward!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Man I wish I had time….for anything lol
I’ll try to check some more of these audio anomalies out this WE.
Hit me with examples if ya got em.

Ive noticed this phenomenon with other recordings, think mostly 71-72s.
Definitely could be tape degradation and/or perhaps a little oversaturated originally, but I think there’s amp distortion going on too? They were still mostly using dirty fender power at this stage. So like any real Rock and roller by the end of the night the amps are on 11 etc and with those old tube power sections/power supplies their easy to overdrive.
By 73 they had pretty much fully switched to big McIntosh power amps, though they were still using the Fenders for pre amps. Like your pre amp at home though, you wouldn’t be pushing the pre amp that much (let the power amp do the heavy lifting). Think overworking a small car engine versus barely stepping on a big V8.
Could be compromised cabling somewhere. Could be dirty and/or insufficient venue power too? That’s the problem with E lic tri city though, could be a number of things. Probably a bit of all the above…

Yep BC, glad your digging the nice February weather. These days where it’s sunny and up in the 30s, “it’s gold Jerry, gold I tell ya! I should try to check out the ole St Louie, Louie, box, another I’ve barely been introduced too.
Hoping 🤞I might be getting a little quality time off soon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

So I saved.. squirrelled, pinched pennies for 45 years and finally dropped the dime on my dream system I have been planning for all these years. I went completely with Fender Amps on the recommendation of some guy named Hal and now I read this.

What are these McIntosh items of which you speak?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Appreciate the insight Jim, BC and OB.
I have found sometimes, for whatever reason I hear differently after the first go around with the Dave's and the Box sets. Most of the time, I think damn this sounds so good, once in a while I think, this sounds a little off. Sometimes I panic and think my speakers must be blown. I need to go out and replace them.
Of course, yes, we are lucky they recorded almost all these shows. We all know there are all kinds of different results of the shows and recordings for various reasons. I would think there is no way Norman finished mastering 10/18/72 and texted Dave and said you can't believe how good this sounds. I could be wrong.
I totally hear what you are saying on the 71 shows OB. Some of them definitely have a different sound to them, Dick's 35, RT#1.3. Great, but different. And then I compare them to the 71 Port Chester shows which sound incredible and are some of my alll time favorites.

Jim, sorry to hear about the issues you are having, definitely hard stuff to deal with.

Let me offer up Charlie Miller's 100th show for tomorrow, 6/16/90. There is a newer version from the man himself from 2019 and the version from VFTV III.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

For me there's a certain point where both the right brain and left brain agree that it's kick ass Grateful Dead I am listening to and recording anomalies fade into a blissfull background.

Let it be known i am a recording snob.. so it hurts by my left and right to commit to great performance vs. great recording.

I still think so highly of this run. Warts and all, it's classic Fall '72 GD.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

That image that shows either two faces or a chalice depending on how you look at it.
If I try to hear those anomalies I can, but if I just crank up some tunes and don’t try, then I only notice when it gets bad, if that makes sense. Another variable: plangent etc. Those old Road Trips and Dicks didn’t have the benefit of Plangent.
Capitol 71 bonus disc did, AND, their multitrack so if say Bobby had some weird noise issues on his line, it couid isolated and messed with. Wood really love to hear some of that deconstruction tech they used on the Beatles…

St Louie: going in I thought I was going to dig the 73 the most, and that one disc probably is my pick of the litter. I thought I’d dig the 71, but comparatively not as much as the other 2 years. But at first the 71s really stood out to me.
I love when that happens!
I think I recall thinking the music was great overall, but that there were some unfortunate anomalies.
I guess to get full shows that’s going to happen sometimes especially in years that have been mined more extensively.
To me when it comes down to it and your properly prepped and ready, once you settle in it’s all about the music!
Like the band entraining, after a while it all becomes one…

DV with a call for 6/16/90. That sounds good, just not sure if I should wait and watch it, or just fire it up now?
Thinking I might dabble this WE with the Louie…still have some primal Doc to catch up on too.
Finally getting a few extra days off, then one last push at this job swapping out net and installing new Cisco stacking tech. Owners are supposed to be gone so maaaayyybbbeee I can catch some tunes. I really need to get a portable personal rig but I’m such a snob that would get pricey and more importantly I don’t have time, err, if /when I do have time I’d rather just sit and listen to tunes!
So 6/16/90, think that was my 86th show, weird/cool vibe, you had to be there, or maybe it was the roses ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Howsa bouta a little 83 energy for a Fri yea?

6/16/90: good call DV! Haven’t heard this since the Shakedown Stream, man those were fun.
Needed some kind of ritual at the time, even TOO watched and she ain’t really into the dead.

Always dug a good Good Times Roll opener, usually a good sign. Fun Truckin if not mind blowing, solid Touch O,
Nice FOTD, hot Cassidy, fun but perhaps trepid Big Boss, but fun non the less, and another slightly unusual and fun OMSN to close a fun set.
Though the first might not of been thoroughly consistent, the second set gets going nice, good versions of most songs, and a nice China Doll in spite of Jerry struggling a bit. Rousing Mags and and always welcome sweet Baby Blue encore. But!…But, to me that whole sequence from Estimated, terrapin and all that awesome psychedelic goodness that follows is what makes this show stand out for moi.
For a while I was thinking “this shows ok but..?, “ by half way through the second those thoughts were gone baby gone. It’s a shame JG didn’t fully nail the China as that would of really took it up a notch overall.
Good show, even better in person, first trip to the promised land, hot 20 year old GF along, tripping the light fandango in the cool California night sea breeze. What a trip that was, sighhhh.
Dems we’re da daze…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have always liked this show and the video. And you were there OB, that is great. Sounds like fun. Are you in the video?

Yes. the first two songs get the show off to a great start, Truckin, at the number 2 slot! That second set jam/space after Terrapin is interesting. Charlie Miller has the whole sequence as Terrapin, but I think it moves out of Terrapin. Anyway, great stuff. Love those Baby Blue closers. If you stay tuned in after the encore they have some great bonus footage from 10/2/87 from Shoreline. Another great show.

Alright, count me in on the 83 show!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Though 3/29/83 is a decent enjoyable show, it unfortunately was only a mediocre aud, not a SB as advertised?
Liked the Miller a little better than the other one.
Ok Jack, and Bird song in cool spot, some status quo first setters, interesting early, alternate lyric 4th Easu, another Bob song I always liked but perhaps didn’t understand fully, lol. Nice Big RR, though not quite like those ripping 81s! Into GSET for another interesting fun set.

Second we get the second time out for H/S/F since 77. Good, welcome effort but all three songs had some ruff spots.
Rest pretty typical for the time with still sorta new feeling Stones and haven’t nailed the slick Segway into NFA yet.
Rocking JBG and another sweet Baby Blue. 83 has some nice ones!
So not a mind blower, and the Aud might scare some off, but hey, that’s what happens sometimes “when we just ride”
Some times you eat the Baaaarr, sometimes the Baaarr eats you. But nothing ventured, nothing gained…
Going next night, 3/30/83 for extra credit since it appears to be a SB…maybe hit Docs primal I’m behind on later?

EDIT: DHB hat trick?…technically probably not, but did complete 3/29/83, 3/30/83, 2/2/68, and 2/3/68!
All were dug, some more than others. 3/30 seemed a step up from 2/29/83 and the 68s were proper, forgot how much Clemtine has an ABB vibe to it, good sheet Mon!

Don’t think I’m in the video? We were center lawn in fairly close.
Went with the CD this go round…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Shoot OB, you were busy this weekend. Nice work. Yes, the aud recording for 3/29/83 is an okay audience recording. A little rough.

I have been digging into some past box sets. Enjoyed the tour through LTTR. I really like the MSG box. I keep listening to all six shows periodically. Love them! Such a different time period than all the past box sets. Hope we get more of these in the years to come.
Going to hit 5/19/74 from the PNW box today. Interested? I think this might be my least played show from this box.

Looking forward to this year's box. Wish we didn't have to wait so long to find out what it will be. Not sure where Dave is going this year. I do think they will release the October Winterland shows for the 50th anniversary next year (at least I hope it happens) Enjoy your Superbowl Sunday out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Fo sho.
That’s the by product of too many shows…

I’m actually half way through 3/15/73, but I’ll hit some 5/19/74 after.
So far this show is good but maybe not great, though after a nice HCSS and now this sorta frenetic jazzy PITD, things are picking up!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Carousel Ballroom, February 14 1968

And the early Grateful Dead, primally speaking, were very good at it. Dedicated now, as it was then, to the memory of Neal Cassady……

I only said I would try to avoid the classics. It’s open to debate, but this may be one of, if not the first, classic Dead shows. Sorry but I couldn’t resist. Back in high school Anthem Of The Sun was some of the first truly weird Dead we ever were exposed to, and this show is Anthem in extremis…..

Back in my tape trading daze, excellent copies of the second set circulated widely and were revered for their primal stupendousness. Flash forward to March 21, 2009, when the complete show (along with some crazy good “bonus material”) was released as part of the Road Trips series. That series gets shit on a lot, but actually featured some really excellent releases, this perhaps first and foremost. In fact, this may be one of the most important Dead releases ever. Of course, just one man’s admittedly biased primal opinion……

Cue it up, find a comfy chair, add some green leafy material, and voila!! Happiness!!!

To understand a name you must be acquainted with the particular of which it is a name…..

Rock on!!!

Doc
In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted…..

I'm in.

Been busy lately and gone a bit. But I'm home today and queueing this one up.

Thanks doc and thanks to all. We truly have a lot to be grateful for.. I was just reading up on the history of Valentines day. Most of these ancient holidays seem to end with a beheading or crucifixion. I guess we have evolved a little, although it doesn't seem that way when I watch the news. Baby steps over the centuries. Whoever invented the electric guitar and recording devices needs a medal.

Can't leave 2/14/70 off the list of classics either. How cow, February packs in a punch. Nothing wrong with the classics, in fact.. I kind of like them. 2/14/68 is certainly one of my favorite all time shows, wowwow stuff.

user picture

Member for

11 years

In reply to by JimInMD

Might as well add 2.14.1969 into this mix, Electric Factory show with a nice Dark Star just a couple weeks before the grand daddy FW shows. Hmmmm, maybe this is the year we see a 68/69/70 box?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

and the Big Rock Pow-Wow are the only 2 road trips I purchased. Both are excellent releases.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

What I love about this one are the liner notes/booklet where Bob describes coming up with verse "bus came by and I got on...." , and also this is the first show this verse was performed. I love the RT series but only have 2 also......Big Rock Pow Wow the other.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Shoot, you only have two? You need more. Real Gone has re-released them all, minus the bonus discs. So much great music to be heard. Season 4 is fantastic with 5 mostly full show releases,. I like the compilations as well, 1.4 from Egypt with Love is so unique and the only release from this time period. Not a dude in the bunch.
Love 3.3 from 1970, four CDs of great acoustic and electric Dead.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

This is a great show, minus the 3 1/2 song vocal drop out in the first set. The first set is really good, with a rocking Half Step, Big Railroad Blues, Scarlet, solid China Rider. Really like the WRS, Wharf Rat, Big River Peggy O into a killer Truckin, long Jam that is really fun. Great closing songs to a great show.

Hard to believe this Box is already five years old. Put me in the camp of wanting more 74.

Okay, all this Road Trips talk makes me want to que up #3.4 from Penn State and Cornell 1980.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Rest of 3/15/73 seemed to get better as it went. Sweet jam in there.
5/19/74: man I need to listen to this box more.
Awesome jam!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Portland... Funny, I just did 5/17 Vancouver recently. I'll hit Portland, it's been a while. I might have tossed this show out on this forum sometime in 2020. Hot hot, China Rider and that second set is interesting and pretty hot.

1974 in the air I guess (isn't it always somewhere close?) as out here in the high desert I was reaching for DaP 42 and DaP 13 (Winterland Feb. '74) .

The Road Trips series is chock full of gems. Happy to say I picked up all of them at the time with lone exception of Cal Expo '93. Of course I would love to see some of the partial shows released in full show glory (and run through Plangent) just like some of Dick's Picks need a revisit. But don't take that as a complaint, just a wish.

Edit - DV I need to revisit the Penn State and Cornell volumes, plus the April Fools 88 show - they've been sitting there wondering if they're the chopped liver of RT. They haven't gotten the attention that the early years in that series have.

Sort of almost the weekend. Onward!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I forgot about this one.. haven't given it a listen since release time. I'll have to change that.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey folks.
Whew! Wall to wall autumn (deliberately avoiding the overly-insistent rhyme) and have taken the new year winter decompression to track a lot of the transfers of old vinyl I'd made back in August. Thanks to that, The Dead have taken something of a backseat in my listening during the new year as I've now got all of these other things in a convenient format.

While tidying up an old hard disk, I came across a James "Blood" Ulmer show I must've torrented over ten years ago, but for whatever reason never unpacked. No info file, and so far various Googling can't even prove that the concert even happened. The directory is only listed as ulmer2_27_86. Anybody have a suggestion where I might look to find some more info on this? I checked out the taper forum, and the "Looking for..." forum, but there hasn't been a lot of activity over there.

One new Dead show in my library, however:
6/8/74 FOB which I've only had on once, but wasn't giving my full attention. I think I found it also unpacked on a hard disk while "house cleaning". My (slowly) ongoing exploration of Wall Of Sound audience tapes. Any takers?

There is also a trove of late 60s shows that were binge torrented and then never unpacked. Can't wait to get to those.

Well, I'd wanted to recap, but I'm not even out of August, so I'll spare you the flashbacks.

>Oroborous>
Thank you for the acknowledgement so many months ago.

● Just put the 2/24/71 Port Chester show on. This one I'd transferred from an old cassette. Haven't heard it in a really long time, and don't have as many specific memories of it, like the 2/18 tape.

Oooh. This Bertha. Bump! Bump!

Either my cassette was running slow or this is the most mellow Hard to Handle I've ever heard. Dig it.

I love these really slow early Losers, too. It seemed like it might be vying for a spot in the Dew rotation in those days, but they eventually picked up the tempo to a slow trot as the years went by. This being transferred from a tape, it may just be a media issue. I sometimes cover this on acoustic, and always do it real slow and always only ask for 1 gold dollar, not ten. To me, these are the archetypal Losers.

Epic Good Lovin' drum solo!

Thanks for that ranking of that Feb '71 run. Found AUDs on the Archive for the 19th and 21st. Back in the day, I ended up with only 2/18, 2/23, and 2/24 somehow. I was trying to explore as many different eras as possible, I guess, so didn't go for a completist approach... I guess... who knows what I was thinking back then?! lol. I'd take whatever I could get. Those tapes accompanied me on many a road trip cause that period is just fantastic driving music....

● A good buddy lent me the 3/9/81 discs. I don't think he got the MSG box, just the single show on offer. Those were on in the car for quite a while last fall.

My buddy was, like, "Dude. Check this China Cat," and he was not wrong. For me, because I'm less familiar with this era, I felt like there was some really unusual interplay between Phil and Jerry in there. Brent's synth work is pretty novel, too. Sounds like he'd been listening to some Steve Winwood. I could stand for a bit more of it, if I'm honest.

Bird Song was the first tune in this show to really grab me, though.

An electric Deep Elem? I'll take that.

Uncle Johns is kind of a mixed bag. There are some really cool things happening, but it seems a little ragged at times too. That's just how it goes, but that's how I hear this one. No disrespect for hanging it out in front of a huge crowd.

The Drums > Space > Other One is also fantastic. Sounds like someone (I'll guess Mickey) is playing with some microphone feedback, incorporating it into the jam.

That Stella Blue seems to start out a little unsure of its footing, but by the end is soaring. That's a real highlight... I mean, I love Stella Blue pretty much any time you'll give it to me, but after a few listens this one really grew on me.

I think I'm still a little partial to 3/7/81 at U. of Maryland, though.

>bluecrow>
Cal Expo rang a bell, but I've only got 5/26, 27 from 1993.

5/26 is a 3rd gen cassette 1st set and a 4th gen 2nd set AUD. Not sure how that happened. Couldn't tell you anything about it off the top of my head other than that there is a heart mark next to Playin' > Drums > Space > and I tracked that all as just Playin' because that's how I roll.

● 5/27/93 is a partial board, but 7th gen cassette... only the 2nd set. I was doin' postage and blanks, so ended up pretty far out on a limb a lot. I'm not using headphones, but there's not a thing wrong with the sound quality. Might have just lost the first set, or maybe never had it.

Pretty worthy Scarlet/Fire.

Might skip Wave to the Wind so I can get an ear on the Cassidy > Uncle Johns > Cassidy Reprise > Drums segment. Nah. Wave to the Wind is 7 minutes long. There must be some sort of jam in there. Better be. Certainly are a lot of changes. Jer's on top of 'em. That's about all I can say.

Cassidy is mellow and starting to jam out, but...ah, well, nice try. The seque into UJB comes across pretty forced. A bit more patience, and cooperation might have helped that jam. Good idea.

The UJB jam, however is goin' off! Love how it is deconstructing toward drums. The band is showing a lot more patience here... oh, and the brief reprise of Cassidy is smooth as silk. You can hear Jerry hinting at it for a while. It would have been magic if they'd pulled that off on the way out of Cassidy.

Drums could always be counted on to deliver in the 90s. I'll expect no less here. Nice beam drones. More like space.

Oddly, Space just seems to stop and Jerry's there playing TOO on his own for a bit. Cool super distortion Bobby cutting is the perfect ground for Jerry's crystal clear lines. Don't appear to be any Martian vocal effects on Bobby's voice, which is a shame. I always liked that. Jer digs in to some overdriven runs after the first chorus which are now weaving nicely with Bobby's stabs and dives. Good mix. The drums are touch lost behind the guitars, maybe. Vince is real low in the mix. Say what you want about '93, dudes are goin' for it. Some heavy echo on Bobby's voice for the second verse, which immediately diffuses into Wharf Rat. Coulda dealt with a bit more TOO, but that was as smooth a transition as you can ask for. The thing about this era is that they have the in-ear monitors, and intercoms, so they didn't have to hint at anything musically. All anyone needed to do was call a tune into the ears of the others. Makes the transitions a lot more succinct, which can be both smoother, but also sometimes a little less thrilling.

Wharf Rat is a tune that suited Jerry any day, any year. This tune is gonna be solid no matter what... at least as far as I know. Tape starting to sound a little muddy at this point for some reason. It was fine earlier. Love that Bobby is well-represented in the mix to add his coloring throughout. Is this after they fired Dan Healy? Well, I spoke too soon. The Life I Should found the limit of Jerry's voice on this particular night.

Sounds like Jer's starting GDTRFB, but maybe it's just because this Sugar Mag slides out of Wharf Rat as easy as can be before Bobby takes the lead. Even Bobby's sounding a bit froggy at this point. Musta been something in the air. (Can't imagine what!) Nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about, either.... Jerry's lettin' some overdrive licks fly throughout the Sunshine Daydream section. It's interesting because it's like you can still hear his clean tone at the core of his distorted effect. Pretty aggressive, if short. No encore on my tape, unfortunately.

● My only May 91 show is Shoreline on the 12th and it's FOB probably available on the Archive. Couldn't tell ya anything about it off the top of my head.

>Forensicdoceleven>
>JimInMD>
>PT Barnum>
RE Woodstock

Perfect back yard recreation. Hahahaha. :)

Just listened to my old, old vinyl copy of the Woodstock Soundtrack a couple weeks ago, and even that excerpt of Hendrix is totally face melting. If I recall correctly this wasn't The Experience.

I'm not sure I've ever heard the Dead's entire Woodstock set. Last year I was surprised to learn that CCR, Mountain, and Johnny Winter had also played Woodstock. I'm pretty sure I'd never known that. They were also not part of the soundtrack or film. Jerry, at least, makes a memorable cameo in the film.

PT Barnum> RE Fall '91
Near miss. I've got 8/16, and 9/17 in the library. Couldn't tell you anything about them off the top of my head. If there's one thing this group always does, it's fill in the gaps. Cheers.

JeffSmith> RE HDTracks

DUDE! Thank you! I've been looking for a site where I can get minimum 16b44.1 quality downloads. Being on the other side of the world, shipping even CDs is murder. One of my favorite things about nugs net is that you can buy, not hi-res, but at least CD quality downloads. I think downloads sound better than CDs, tbh. Something happens during the CD manufacturing process, or at least it has begun to seem that way to me.

There was a good cd of CCR's set that came out a couple of years ago. Apart from Hendrix, possibly my favourite set of the whole festival. "Lovelight" was included on a dvd as an extra, on one of the celebratory reissues of the festival. I don't think I'm being controversial when I say that it wasn't there finest hour. It's about 37 minutes long, but it seems more like an hour when you watch it.
The Dark Star, I've just remembered, was included in the 6 cd 40th anniversary release of Woodstock, too. That's okay. But it's not a show I would suggest as a contender for an official release.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

>DAVEROCK>

"It's about 37 minutes long, but it seems more like an hour when you watch it."

HAHAHA

I'll be on the lookout for that CCR set. John Fogerty strikes me a somewhat difficult man. Brilliant songwriter and producer, though. Never get tired of Cosmo's Factory, in particular. Gotta get reacquainted with the first album. I recall it being more psychedelic.

Got a trove of stuff to listen to after yesterday's catch up. Thanks!
Not sure where I'll start, but probably with something that already has ID tags. lol.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by rockthing

I've got a beta-max transfer of 2/24/74... which stayed in heavy rotation for a long time when it first hit my library, but low and behold Portland 74 has collecting proverbial dust in the old hard disk, too. Time for something brand new (to me).

A Pat Lee master cassette passed down the generations.

It's a little hissy, and I'm not getting much Phil at the start, but Jerry and Bob's gutiars are crystal clear. Jerry's voice coming in a close second in the mix with some occasional Keith flourishes wafting to the fore. Billy's cymbals sound crisp, if somewhat thin. Getting a nice Jamaican dub sound when he switches to the highhat. Kick is in there, clear, but with with a soft tone, and none of the hyper-compressed abrasive contemporary festival sound. Donna's harmonies are on, and blended well with Jerry and Bob for the Across the Rio Grande-oh finale of Halfstep. Jerry plays an aggressive outro solo.

Mexicali: The mix and tape quality remain consistent. It's mostly a guitar oriented sound, but Bobby's voice is clear, if slightly too far back. Even in '74 they could do this one in their sleep. Have you ever heard a real train wreck during Mexicali? I can't recall one. A fan let's out a hoarse, "Whao!" apparently feeling the southwest polka vibes.

Big Railroad Blues. Love me some BRB. There are short pauses in the tape where Pat Lee is clearly well aware of the need to conserve footage. Could do with A LOT more Phil in the mix. Might fiddle with the EQ in a bit.

Black Throated Wind: Awkward song that I sometimes really like, and other times can do without.

Scarlet: Crowd gives Donna a big cheer as the song reaches it's finale. Of course they egged Bobby on with some of his crazy antics, too, but it's nice to hear that early 70s audiences appreciated her contributions.

Beat It On Down The Line: Always love this one. Nice double vocal from Bobby and Donna. Some unfortunate microphone feedback during Jerry's solo. Phil's backing vocals are there. The bass frequencies either never made it onto the cassette, or have evaporated through the generations of open reels and cassettes.

Tennessee Jed: Nice bounce to this laid-back rendition. Another one of my favorite tunes, as I've mentioned before. Another nice, appreciative response from the audience who are almost completely unnoticeable for the majority of the time.

Bobby McGee. I picture the audience mostly having a lie-down on the lawn during this first set. Just a nice day in the park with some live music in the background.

Ok, well, that's as far as I'll get in this sitting, but really looking forward to that big Truckin' jam at the end of the show. Now spoilers! 😉 Just kidding.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by rockthing

Hey Bluecrow, #13 is definitely in my top five. Love this show. Listen to it quite a bit. #42 hasn't resonated with me as much as #13, don't know why. How do you all feel?

I will throw out Dave's Picks #7, 4/24/78, for our old buddy That's Otis. I believe you are fan of this era. Hope all is well out there for you and the rest of the crew!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by rockthing

I haven't played it this year yet, but it has become one of my most played shows from this year - mainly because I bought it on vinyl. But it is really good, too. To me, it's better than its song list suggests - the songs leading up to the Truckin' jam are well played and forward moving, and that final jam is superb. It has been castigated in some quarters for the vocal drop outs. A price worth paying, in my opinion. All three 1974 shows in the box it was culled from are top notch.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In my experience, any show that starts off with Mississippi half-step uptown toodleloo is usually a great one and 5-19-74 is no exception. That pacific northwest box grows on ya, for sure.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

That's good to read - they opened with Mississippi Half Step - Franklins Tower the first time I saw them 3/24/81. A great start to the show for sure.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Dream Bowl February 22, 1969

Relatively speaking, the yang to the yin of February 21, 1969. True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist…..

I have the space, you have the time, let’s revisit. Officially released in October 2015 as part of Thirty Trips Around The Sun, one almost never hears about this show, possibly because it gets overshadowed by the blazing white hot glare of the Fillmore West Shows of February 27th to March 2nd. This is very much “of a kind” with those shows, featuring the typically sweet Mountains Of The Moon (always loved that song!), a long exploratory Dark Star, a fierce, crunchy Other One, a deathly Death Don’t, a fine Eleven, and a greasy Lovelight that clocks in at a mere 21+ minutes.

Great music, great sound quality, I suggest you find the time…..

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once…..

Rock on,

Doc
There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there…..