• 7,734 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

Yes lol

Luv me sum 7/76 Orpheum shows!
    But

I’m rolling through spring 69, getting into ridiculously good April.
    Next stop, the Ark!
    Onward!

Cheese and rice John, everyday for ten years!
    Not sure how you do it, guess no choice eh?
    May the force be with you!

• DeadVikes

Good idea, I think I will join you in the bonus disc from Dave's 18. It has been a long time.

Then, Dave's #30, 1/2/70.

• 1stshow70878

Not as much a suggestion as a question.
    Is it King Solomon's Marbles or Stronger Than Dirt?
    Did 1 From the Vault today and was chasing blues for Allah stuff.
    Cheers
    Think I'll just do the DaP 18 bonus disc which does not list the Stronger Than Dirt between Playin' and Cosmic Charlie (or the Samson after) even though Deadbase lists it.
    Edit - It's more like a stronger than dirt jam but could just as easily be called part of Playin'. Love this disc!

• TN John

Thanks Jim and Oro!
    We've been dealing with this for 10 years now.
    Unfortunately, it has become normalized for us.
    Daily chemo tablets, and occasional phlebotomies.
    We are fortunate compared to some of the other people we see at Ingram Cancer Center.
    "Once in a while, you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right"
    Vibes to your family as well Jim.
    Peace

• Oroborous

Cancer!
    Work!
    and ESPECIALLY Greedheads!

Good thoughts coming y’all’s way, we are everywhere!

PT, you’ll love this one. So since I’m not fired, just PT, the bastardos try to call me up Friday so I could give them info that would make their life significantly easier lol
    I texted next day saying you folks are shameless and “sorry, too busy reassembling my life after the cowardly sucker punch” to worry about helping you
    Ok, too much pain and too much sorrow here, (hopefully) won’t be the same tomorrow!
    Back to my spring 69 project, should be through February by end today
    These short shows are beneficial to major box checking!
    ONWARD

• DeadVikes

Will do TN John.

Roberts Western World was a cool spot.

• PT Barnum

yeah, I was also mistreated by employer(s) doesn't matter if you are the best at what you do, if the cost of keeping a talented individual outweighs the benefits of keeping that same person, then, everytime, the powers that be will cut you, and sometimes that cut is deep.
    Just the other day I was saying to my better half, "work sucks and I don't want to do it anymore". She said, "quit, the world won't end" so I did but not before telling the twit who was the immediate supervisor just what I thought of her. Lazy, stupid and crazy, that's what they picked over a vet who worked ass off. So, I just went in and quit, felt quite good actually. Now, I am officially retired. Time to veg out, relax and smoke em if you got em.

• JimInMD

A tough weight to carry, sending good wishes to you and your son. We've got a bit of that going on in our family too. We are half in denial and half accepting what's to come.

• TN John

You were right up the road from me in Nashville.
    My son's Oncologist is in Nashville.
    Give me a shout if you ever head this way again.
    Peace

• billy the kiddd

Great show, I was fortunate to have been there. The Dead played great, seeing Garcia play pedal steel was worth the price of admission.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Wanted to hear that third IIHTWTG so I went to the Bertrando/Sacks that starts at the post-Supplication Jam which without it's connection was fairly hard to guess but it sounds like Jerry was just noodling and trying to get to Playin' already. Then Drums into more pre-Playin' then shuffles right into a good Jack-a-roe. Playin' starts for real and abruptly shifts to a bouncy and funky Shakedown and has the crowd clapping along in time. Slow shift to the IIHTWTG with an almost silent (confused or maybe just respectful?) crowd. Fairly different from the debut which was as-written-clean (was this ever on a studio album?) including Bob adding some slide that turns into whale song (Jim, the gift that keeps on giving, lol) while Jerry fans the ending. Tough song to sing with lots of chord changes. Maybe that's why it was dropped? Then Playin' reprise with Bob trying to go elsewhere, but settles nicely before the slam into Around & A.
Glad I got to hear this and thanks to Oro. Will try that 11-21-78 on your recommendation.
Cheers
Edit: Duh, of course! IIHTWTG was on the Shakedown album. There's a ut-oob of the Cleveland IIHTWTG with good sound but no video. Lots of interesting comments there. Lots of love for this song. One guy suggests this was a tough one to sing as it stretched Jerry's vocal range a bit. Same guy has a great detailed logical argument for why they dropped Cosmic Charlie, well reasoned. Another poster said this was their wedding song - cool! Another said it was a dedication from her hubby who has passed on. And a strange number of people said they liked/loved Bob's slide on this. No accounting for taste I guess. Oh and one said Bob had issues at start of second set which may explain some of that weirdness with the "Jams". (as Oro has already documented in his review a few posts back)
Doc, you know what happens when the going gets weird. If not see Hunter Thompson.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Many people discovered Chuck Berry through listening to The Dead. The Stones served the same function in England.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Thoughts Part I - Not sure if i ever listened to Set I, but Set II caught my attention many years ago. In part because of the obvious set list weirdness (thumbing through Deadbase) and as part of that set list weirdness the first Jack-a-Roe after the initial handful in Spring '77 (previous 6/7/77) (Jack-a-Roe can be my Cumberland) - its the only one in '78, before being brought back in rotation final month and a half of Godchaux era from 1/7 to 2/17/79. So, as Oro mentions, the word from Healy to a head was that Bob was "sick as a dog" (see IA), so not on stage beginning Set II but, trooper that he is, does make it back. Sounds like Jerry was going to open set with Shakedown but given circumstances slowly leans into what could easily be a jam out of Playing. Pretty freaking cool.

[Edit] - Thoughts Part 2 - What a unique and amazing Set II. Total "Wow". As Inspector Clue notes, despite an eyewitness account, Bobby is back on stage for Jack-a-Roe and rest of set. The intro and outro to World to Give are otherworldly haunting and gorgeous. In that way they remind me of the atmosphere of Days Between. I think Jerry struggles on some high end vocals, maybe that's why the song didn't last. On the outro Bob's not so much playing slide but making whale calls and it sounds fantastic and beautiful. Tough to have the board cut during the Playing reprise because that Reprise is a beauty but being in the audience from there on out its clear that its a big old party and the Around and Around is a full on swinging-from-the chandeliers closer. Maybe, just maybe, the end of Set II was in fact recorded at the board, we can only hope. Would love to have Set II released.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Mornin’, rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: Academy Of Music March 26 1972

Yes, I know this was briefly discussed recently, but I compose these things well in advance, so here we are……

Back in the day, in the crazy daze of tape trading, there were no commonly circulating soundboards of this run yet. It was rumored that they weren’t recorded, there was a flood in the vault, perhaps the building had been struck by lightning. Our audience recordings---much like the Port Chester 71 run----varied from borderline listenable to truly wretched. We dreamed of better quality………

Well, apparently, maybe they had been there after all, well guarded, well protected, top secret material. The official releases started in 2003----can you believe it’s been nearly twenty years already?---and were a revelation. While perhaps not up to the creamy scorching brilliance of the E72 tour, the entire AOM run is excellent in it’s own way, looser perhaps, but all worthy!

I always wondered what exactly was the AOM run? Open, paid rehearsals? A tune-up for the European tour? A week long musical party to pay for their fun across the pond?

The March 26 show was released in 2015, and while appearing “standard on paper” does have a good mix of grease, jamming, and rock and roll. What more could one expect of the Dead at that time? Absolutely worthy of a revisit!!

The past is the beginning of the beginning and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn……

Rock on!

Doc
Nothing leads so straight to futility as literary ambitions without systematic knowledge……

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

about how these tapes came back. ( Dead Essays 3-26-72 from deadessays dot blogspot) Very interesting and a tidbit of copyright law that allowed him to get them back where they belonged. The guy who had them wanted a million dollars and the office basically told him to eff himself. He owned the physical tapes but not the music on them. So Dick's 30 and Dave's 14 + bonus disc it is. (and bonus disc for Rockin' The Rhein if I have it) Thanks Doc.
Cheers

Edit: so now I want to find out how/why the Bettys came to auction in 1986 in various lots. Was she gone by then? Why wouldn't she have gotten these back to the band? And interesting to hear a good portion of this lot was JGB and Saunders and some Jerry and Howard Wales too.

Firstshow, I believe she left the band in the early eighties after a relationship with Brent that went bad. She fell on rough times and had some of her recordings and Rex's recordings in a storage locker. She could no longer afford the rent and the locker was sold off to three different parties. I thought it was actually in 1986 before Jerry's coma. Anyway, she informed the band about her situation and the music in the locker. They did not act. At the time, I don't think they saw the value.

I believe Dave has written about the returned reels in the Summer 78 Box and a couple of Dave's Picks.
Also, there are a couple of good articles out there on the Betty Boards and ABCD LLC and their quest to return the reels to the band.
I believe Dave's #21 was the first release from the returned reels and the 78 Box was the first box set from the returned reels.

Oh, and wasn't that your first show?

Edit. The write up from Dave on the reels was included in the GSTL Box, not the July 78 Box.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

The story confused me a bit as I knew only part of the Betty tapes story. So this million dollar guy must have gotten one of the lots from that auction. I can just see Rob and Dick up all night listening to crusty, moldy reel to reels in Petaluma. Rob was genius to DAT them even though the guy forbade it.
Found my Rockin' The Rhein bonus disc (burner) and It's possible I've only listened to it once. What was I thinkin'?!? Rolling now starting with a Playin', Sunshine Daydream, and is that Caution starting? Cool.
Thanks again DV and Doc and cheers!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

So while you fine boys and girls were (hopefully) getting yer 78 and 72 on, I was cheating on y’all.
On Friday, I hit 7/14/85, the other fine show from Ventura that year. Needed the Friday energy and had not heard that one though have ment to for a while. Interesting show. Not quite the rocket sled 85 can be. Just a nice solid evening of GOGD! Then I revisited the video from the Giants box on 6/17/91. Forgot how much I like this show! And that audio, oye!

Today I’m going to pick 7/15/89. The show between. The one show I’ve not heard from this tour, and never heard anyone mention it?

Yeah, it’s quite the tale about the tapes journey back home where they belong!
Here’s to Betty!!
🥂

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Good ideas OB, I don't think I have ever listened to this show.

Rob Eaton, there probably should be more written about him and all the work he has put in preserving hundreds of shows and his big role in helping get the Betty Boards back to the band or Grateful Dead Productions/Rhino. Well done Rob.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sure thing. And BTW, now Dave's reading your mind - final songs of 7/15/89 1st Set are on Tapers Section this week. Funny synchronicity how first Deer Creek show immediately before the last Alpine run. Passing of the beloved midwest summer venue torch.

JamoftheWeek is Dillon Stadium 7/16/72 starting with Trucking (no more spoilers). Mistakenly listed as Roosevelt Stadium, which is 7/18. Appears to be only one "circulating" copy/upload (sbd/aud composite from the comparative dark ages) of this great, relatively obscure, total big time show. First post E72 show on the East Coast, with members of the Allmans joining them for closing Set II jam (not on JOTW unfortunately.) Don't miss this one!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

It’s like that bumper sticker: who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me?

7/15/89: decent one/two opener, though it appears Bobs having tech issues. Blues, nice PEGGY O, but Jer?, something seems not…quite in snap..? Micro synapses not syncing? Not bad, but…Hard to describe, just Queen J for instance he’s just…not..quite…usually owns these songs? Maybe I’m reading into too much? Whatevs?
That’s how part of this show seemed: good show, but perhaps not quite summer 89 good?
BIRD SONG they do a great job of nice unhurried swelling as a band in sync, smooth, not forcing it.
Subtle but very nice.
JG comes out second with Foolish Heart but again, ok, but…maybe trying too hard, holding the stick too tight?
Same with Victim, ok but….
Then Crazy Fingers it’s like Jer steps it up and they start to really, then…ooopps, then yeah…but by Truckin it’s like they know they have to catch up and from Smokestack onward the show rocks! Cool Drumz/space with Close Encounters tease, sweet China Doll, definitely felt like Jer was trying to make up for things, and to prove it he throws in a sweet Stella after a smoking Watchtower in the middle! Big R&R mags closer, and JG throws down again with a Brokedown, though not flawless, it’s a nice finish. Interesting show. Not quite sure overall how I feel about it? I can see why it has maybe been passed over? Good but again, perhaps a step back from some of its lofty neighbors?
Of course still have Alpines and that cool Foxboro show, not to mention the Cali shows, and several fall tour nuggets, all just sitting there in multitrack glory…?

Ok BC, trying this 7/16/72 but so far the tape is so so aud…
Holy crap Weirs killing it on this Playing jam!

So, funny. While grooving on tunes today I per chance was perusing that After All Is Said And Done book, and don’t cha know there on page 173 in the minutes from band meeting on 7/11/84 are several very interesting things. Among other things, First, was how ole Betty was suing both GDP for $25,800, and Brent specifically for $45,000, not insignificant for the times.
Says GDP does not owe her, but does not mention about Brent. Guessing having to do with Brent’s solo album that they had been working on. Hell I probably knew what and have forgotten : (
Also, item 12 discusses approval for additional lighting/projector for “Friday 13 July—Dark Star, second set”
Berry interesting…
I need to check this book out more. It’s been sitting here in my Xmass book pile and ive picked at it but it appears there’s more here than I first thought? Same with that Dylan Modern Song. Just been occasional picking at it, but great book non the less. Little bit on Truckin’ too.
Onward!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Pretty damn funny that Dave had a slice of Deer Creek '89 up this morning. I haven't had a chance yet for that show but couldn't help but notice that set list from Crazy Fingers onward which is def my kind of sequence.

I was only suggesting the Jam of the Week for 7/16/72 because of the lack of a recent circulating copy and knowing the vault source would be cleaner. I actually had the one circulating source as a POTD over a year ago. I know it starts with that somewhat weird unbalanced audience, had to have been recorded near/in front of a stack, which I could dig but others not so much, before it off and on transitions to the sbd. A crazy thing about the audience source is that all instruments and vocals are pretty well represented. The show isn't quite 7/18 but its solid '72 and which means some really really good music.

Edit - And now going back to it, yeah I seem to remember that Playing absolutely rips, only 5 songs into the show. God I love it! Like I said way back when, there is something about this audience source that puts me right there! Wowza!! Maybe my favorite straight-into-the-heart-of-the-sun '72 Playings.

And I love love love the Cold Rain and Snow that is song 2 of that audience ; ) And the Black Throated Wind that follows.

Edit 2 - awesome closing jam of Not Fade Away >Going down the Road>Hey Bo Diddley with Dickey, Berry, and Jaimoe.

The first set started out good, but yes, there appears to be weirdness going on with the recording. Peggy O and Queen Janes were good and I thought the Bird Song was great.
What happened in the second set? That Crazy Fingers seemed to be a struggle and don't know what happened to Jerry or the recording? But, there was a something going on.
They sure bounced back at Alpine a couple days later.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Wake up rockers!!!!

Picks Of The Day:
Carousel Ballroom March 29 1968
Ice Palace, Las Vegas March 29 1969

So soon, another Daily Double? Thanks Doc, I’ll take Primal Dead for $1000……

When you go into the realm of a double role, you have to take it to another level to make it believable. With these two shows, the Dead clearly take it to that other level…..

March 29, 1968: There’s a nice Miller remaster out there, is it a soundboard, or stage mics? Either way, quite listenable. Kick it off with some major grease. Death Don’t second song in. Stand-alone Dark Star. Greasy gooey jammy grand finale. Can we hope that there’s a “new and improved “ copy in those banana boxes?

March 29, 1969: The band scorches Sin City with a wonderful psychedelic masterpiece. Grease and big jamming, what could go wrong?!! We had tapes of part of this way back in the day, and it was cherished. Now, worthy of official release, is it in those banana boxes too? Only time can tell…………..

I have doubted myself on several Daily Double answers……

Rock on!!

Doc
I have so many personalities, I live more than a double life………….

Okay, looks like we need a pick. How does 9/16/87 from the Madison Square Garden sound ? The 18th was the 30 Trips show.

Unrelated, I was watching Dead Ahead a few nights ago and kept it on and watched the credits. First, they filmed both 10/30 and 10/31 nights. Would love to see the two full shows.

Second, as I was watching the credits, it listed recorded by Bob Matthews, John Cutler, Wizard and Don Pearson. Those are some very interesting names for the time period as I did not know Cutler or Pearson had any affiliation with the band in 1980. I also didn't know Wizard or Bob Matthews were still working with the band on recordings at this point. Seemed to indicate this was a professional recording with a professional crew?

Anyway, I know Dave bursted my bubble a couple of years ago, stated there will never be a multi track release of the Warfield/RCMH. However, I wonder if there are recordings somewhere from Pearson, Wizard? Wouldn't that be something?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Will try and fit that in today while I work.

ha.. just noticing the good doctor was up and posting at 4:06 am yesterday steering us towards more primal dead. In this world of trouble, we need more primal dead and I thank him for that.

As to the myriad of sound engineers working with the 1980 multi-tracks.. yes, I was aware but am still not sure what all that means. It looks like Betty and Dan worked the mix and the rest were involved in the recording. Certainly they had a sound truck out back for the whole run. My guess is all that work went into making those multi-tracks that were carefully erased to make room for the new Brent album that should be coming out any day now, I've been waiting a long for this.. it's going to be great.

I suspect there is more than what Lemieux will tip his hat towards, but it is probably true that complete shows from this run might be just beyond our grasp unless recorded on cassettes. Just a guess though, we can always hold hope.

How does that song go..... in this world of trouble, we've got love one another. Keep up the hope fellow heads.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Nice start, then…oh Bob lol

7/16/72: yep, ruff tape, good show. Glad I checked it.
3/29/68: another beauty. Nice recording, always dig a Sitting on Top, Death Don’t, and the usual suspects!
I bet there’s more of these old shows they could use. What gives Dave, WE WANT OUR PRIMAL BOX 66-70!

Haven’t made it to 3/29/69 yet…

HOWDY JIMBO, good to see ya!

DBL EDIT: I think they have cassettes of some of those shows.
Pearson et el were part of the ultrasound crew and involved in the early R&D years with John Meyer. They cobbled together a bunch of stuff over the years, including a hybrid super system for the fall 80 shows. I have an old article some where (I think from modern recording magazine back then?) (shit, I should dig that out ) discussing the crazy stuff they were doing. Most folks don’t understand: technologically, the wall was child’s play compared to the Meyers ultrasound systems of the eighties onward. They started developing stuff way back in the early/mid seventies and we’re working behind the scenes for many years. They often would test new things they were working on in conjunction with the existing stuff. Literal work in progress! No different then pre and early wall shows etc.
They cobbled a set up together for certain test shows when able I,e., I believe 12/31/78 is an example.
The fall 80 shows were another big test run.
Anyway, it was many years of R&D before the fully formed Ultrasound sweetness most folks took for granted from like 1983 onward, but these guys pioneered so many changes and inventions over the course of decades that most folks don’t realize. Howard Danchik is another ultrasound unsung hero. Had the pleasure to talk to Howard and he was kind of enough to discuss some stuff at the one show I worked 7/1/92, while we were under the stage turning amps on.
I’m sure these guys wore many hats during such an important gig!
What a crew!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Jim, too funny! Yes, where is that Brent release. Just think if they recorded over the E72 reels? Where would we be.

Interesting stuff OB, would love to learn more from that article. Maybe Cutler, Pearson, etc. made two track down mixes?

I enjoyed this show. Recording is really good. You get good crowd noise, which I like. Nice Touch of Gray, Scarlet to start. Always enjoy a Dire Wolf, Brother Esau, really strong Let it Grow. Never been a huge fan of the Devil with a Blue Dress, Good Golly Miss Molly, luckily it didn't stay around too long. He's Gone delivers. Highlight of the second set for me was the Truckin, Wharf Rat. Good NFA with a GDTRFB reprise, really interesting. Definitely worth a listen and the 87 MSG run is a good run.

Woke up to 9 more inches of snow here in MN on April Fool's Day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Today

Yesterday:
DHB,
3/29/68, fully dug. Great set list. The real one, not the one in Db 10 lol.
9/16/87. Very nice surprise! Cool/Fun 1,2 opener! Jer sounds like he wants to keep going, but noooooo, we need more tortured cat sounds instead lol.
Nice set lists, Jers feelin it. Don’t recall hearing the medley tunes before? Probably have and forgot?
Never the less, fun and Brentski does a nice job.
Great energy and you can almost hear Jerry smiling.
Good call, nice variety…
3/29/69: starts out ruff, Jer sounds terrible early, but as is usually the way, they settle into it.
Usual suspects song wise, nothing spectacular one way or the other, just another Grateful Dead day at the psychedelic office, 69 style.

Wanted to hit 5/13/78, another show between, looks like only second set board? So going with 5/6/78 which so far is a hot show, recording not a Betty, but not bad. Went with the costman…

EDIT: good news bad news. I found my Modern Recording and Music Vol 6 #5 from February 1981.
You can google the mag name and date and shows possibly some on black market, but not sure you can see past issues anywhere? Bad news as this is the one DV! All about the Frankenstein PA, recording set up etc, for Radio City 1980 shows! Not sure it will give you the answer you seek, but fascinating read, total geek stuff, not “so Jerry, what kind of toothpaste do you use” BS.
I’ll try and read it and report back. If you really want I can try to scan it for you…

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Definitely want to learn more about their recording process for RCMH OB. I will also see what I can find online.

I will check out 5/6/78 later today. The second option on Relisten appears to be the one to go with. Charlie Miller wasn't too keen on the first option.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yeah, I’m gonna scan it…

Yep, second source for 5/6/78.
Some might argue perhaps a tad much unbridled enthusiasm on this one, but I’d call it kick ass rock and roll!
Even LL Rain is hot, though at times DG is not : (
I really liked this show just for the overall energy and excitement more than anything specific.
I then hit the second half of 5/13/78, my initial target, but it only had a second set SB.
Another solid outing but I think I enjoyed 5/6 better!

Not sure if I go dead today, or dip heavy into my new huge pile from uncle bozos using my Xmass gift points.
Big score this go round, several big jazz albums, some yacht rock that we’ve been having fun with, Floyd, Hendrix and that Santana Caravanserai, which holy crap, how have I ever heard that one before!
Onward!

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Good morning, fellow rockers!!

Pick Of The Day: Avalon Ballroom April 4 1969

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad………….

The Dead kick off an awesome three show run with a dollop of psychedelia that’s sure to please. It appears “standard on paper”, which means greasy Pigpen and big jams. And while it may not be as expansive as the second night, or as ethereally crunchy as the third night, it is absolutely worthy of your consideration!

Happiness is a hard master, particularly other people's happiness……

Rock on!!!

Doc
Every man's memory is his private literature………

Aaaaa the Avalon. Thought I’d heard these but only have the last night marked, and as a POTD via Doc?
So another fine must hear 69 to check off the list.
Sweeett Dark Star, always diga Rag, and the usual suspects, played well and a nice recording, except the jarring cuts lol.
We’ll have to finish this run off with the 5th mañana!

But next up I’m going to continue with the fine fall 83 tour some of us have been digging.
10/18/83: …into Dupree’s now, nice energy, Jer sounds good, Ooops, lil vocal miss at beginning DDB, so far so good, and a fine Eaton board,
Onward!

What the hell is it with Maine? I’ve certainly not heard them all, but don’t think I’ve heard a bad one outta several that I have.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Good show, really liking this 6/23/93 so far. Jer sounds great.
And ya just know 4/5/69 will be better than fine!
So much goodness, we’re so spoiled!

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Afternoon, rockers!!

Today's double shot of love should properly be 4/5/69 and 4/5/71, but I didn't have time to write that up. I shall endeavor to do better in the future................

If I were a doctor, I would prescribe that you addict yourself deeply and irrevocably to music and never, ever seek cure outside of more music.........

Rock on,

Doc
Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end......

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Looks interesting…
Think Jimbo was there? Lucky dog.

6/23/93: Fun LTGTR and Bucket to get er off the ground. Sweet Lazy River Road, haven’t heard one in fo ever, nice Memphis, Loser and Broken Arrow. Phil doesn’t go too over the top and the harmonies are great!
The ist half of second is ok, Samson, Wave to the Wind, which I’ve heard but not familiar with: it’s not terrible but doesn’t really resonate? From here on this show is awesome! Terrapin, jam and with a even for the nineties magnificent rave space that goes fully outside, but comes back in with Dark Star, into a nice wheel to fully integrate back to terra firma, and a rocking Good Lovin to celebrate it all. But their not done having fun yet, so we get a LSD encore!…which is nice ; ) These 93 shows are starting to grow on me a little. Of course cherry picking we haven’t heard a dud yet lol.

4/5/69: first set was exquisite! Weird HTH, Jer playing a bunch of slide. If noticed a lot of slide with these 69 shows? Maybe all that ABB crossover influence back then? You can tell it’s JG cause there are no whale sightings in the bay. Cosmic Chuck, stand alone China Cat, Rag, Cryptical suite, the 11, this one has a who’s who of 69 songs!
I didn’t get a full immersion into set 2, so though I think I caught some slippery moments, not sure. Good show, but not sure about top shelf playing wise? Perhaps the myth/hype thing? Will need more time…
Onward!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yeah lol, if you get confused actually LISTEN to the music play. 4/5/69 that is!
Replayed that second set after my half assed treatment yesterday…so why hasn’t this one (these?) been released?
Proper! I think I’ve not hit these before as I assumed they’d be out by now and love it when I get virginal listens to official releases…

9/3/88: generally felt this was a good show, but with perhaps some occasional vocal inconsistencies and maybe not always firing on ALL cylinders?
Really enjoyed the well played first, with a almost Dark Star like Birdsong.
Solid Box O Rain. Victim and Foolish Heart are most definitely still in incubation mode. Victim’s ok, but not the swirling beast it would become, FH flows and bops along nice, but Jer struggles with the lyrics. Some usuals, (though what was Brentski rappin on in Women Are lol) then Drumz etc, then a nice vibe out with GDTRFB. Miracle steps things up, and Jer repents for his occasional missteps with a big Dew, though not flawless. Rocking One Mo, and surprise, Ripple! Jer sounds good though Brent’s harmonies are off at times, but a big sweet treat non the less!
It must of been quite the thrill to have experienced that outta left field! One of only 2 after the acoustic runs, almost 7 years since last played, and perhaps most surprisingly, the last one played! Big night, fun show, just perhaps not up where mamma hides the cookies?

Yes, 10/18/83, I fat fingered my previous post. Sorry. I like this show, good recording, nice energy and playing through out. A real Bobby Dazzler?
Enjoyed the Jack Straw opener, Dupree's, CC Rider, Althea. Nice China Rider, Estimated, He's Gone. Good finish out of drums and space with BP. US Blues encore , yes! Good call on this show OB.

I am having hard time keeping up this week, but will definitely add 9/3/88 to the list.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thanks Bolo!!

Was out working in the wilds of the southwest past week with little time for listening up until last night. A lot of fine shows to choose from on this date. Was listening to 4/6/71, Definitely need to hit the whole Avalon '69 run.

Oh and ConeKids first show was at the Crisler 4/6/89. On the list.

Yes, three years! Good work. What a run. Thanks for the reminder Bluecrow. Revisited #42 again a couple weeks ago and yes, fantastic release. I think it took them a couple of songs to get the audio tuned in and it took off after that.

Where is that Bolo?

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Hey rockers, here we go again!!

April 7 1971, Boston Music Hall
Crispy. Great venue. Greasy. One of the most painful tape cuts in 1971. Always worth a listen.....

April 7 1972, Empire Pool, London
Kick off the greatest tour ever. Super solid show. And it gets better from here.......

Day off, too much free time................

What I really have in my head, my imagination, my understanding of music, I never really get that out......

Rock on!

Doc
There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience........

Visions. I always liked that rendition even more than the one on Fallout. 2nd set opening Eyes and I think there's an Unbroken Chain in there, too... :-) :-) :-)

Yup, I would agree with that. The trouble is, once you realise this, how do you keep your pecker up for the shows that followed ? Best not to try - just buy the E72 shows again on vinyl.

I bought this one, 4/7/72, a few weeks ago in this format. I wasn't sure whether to or not ...surely the Newcastle show a few days later, also featuring a Truckin-Drums Other one jam would have been a better release. No..I'm glad I did...it's a great show in its own right. The second set is the one to write home about, but for me, first sets on this tour were also the best they played with Keith in the line up. Partly because with Pigpen still hanging on in there, they had a blues/soul connection, which varied the repertoire. Sadly, when he went, he took it with him. 1973 first sets, by comparison, seem really, really long without this variety.
And hopefully the Newcastle show will also come out on vinyl in the fullness of time.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

Let's continue our stroll through the past, daily double style...............

April 8, 1971 Boston Music Hall
Solid and crunchy counterpoint to the previous night, maybe a bit jammier? Or was it jellier? The first Second That Emotion, a rare April 71 Star, and a hot Good Lovin' to close the show. Absolutely worth a listen!

April 8, 1972 Empire Poll, London
We had a portion of this absolutely amazing Dark Star on the Glastonbury Fayre bootleg LP decades ago, we cherished it. Fine example of how the music would truly sometimes play the band. And a Cumberland Blues that even JimInMD could love. In fact, it's my favorite version ever!!

You'll excuse me while I check out and take a deep dip into that Dark Star...........

Music should always be an adventure......

Rock on!!

Doc
To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable..........

It wasn't actually a bootleg when it first came out. It was a lavish limited edition set put out by the organisers to defray some of the costs of putting the festival on. I was lucky enough to buy one of the original copies when it came out - and stupid enough to sell it about 10 years later. It was like a trip to another planet for me in 1973 - the overall freak vibe of the presentation and the music. Gong and the Pink Fairies were the highlights for me at the time. That side by Gong still sounds deranged.
But all the artists on the album donated their music free of charge as far as I am aware.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

sure was a great date in Dead history, E72, that great run in Orlando in 91, the only stadium show of the 95 spring tour, all great shows, anybody else got any 4-7 or 8 for that matter great shows from other years? Digging 4-7-91 now, a great Ruben in there and that Crazy Fingers to open the 2nd set. So good, I was lucky enough to attend all three of those shows in Orlando that year and also the show in 95 with that exceptional Visions and the really cool Unbroken Chain.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Tried to give this one a go yesterday and wasn't able to find a real good source, which is a bummer.

Hit 4/7/72, not too long ago, fantastic start to an unbelievable tour and how fortunate we are they recorded the whole tour in multi track.

You doing the whole tour this year Doc?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Since this has unfortunately become “today in GD history” and I’ve heard those shows a million times, I checked out the actual, existing site that does that already, and 4/7/88 was their pick (with some noise about best show of tour?).
Well it was an awesome show, but best of tour….I think not.
Definitely a need to listen for those whose ears can hear past 72…

I Really enjoyed those FLA 91s when we did them.

Edit: 9/3/88 went with Healy/Pearson. Thought it sounded great except for a few times it got a tad hot?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I have probably played every show from the E72 tour every year since the trunk came out. But I don't necessarily play them in chronological order, or on the anniversary dates. I take all year over them. Just a couple of shows at a time, then move on to another landscape.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Mornin’ rockers!!

Picks Of The Day:
April 11 1969 University of Arizona, Tucson
April 11 1972 City Hall, Newcastle Upon Tyne

Speaking of the Dead, here we are again with another daily double, which seems to occur a lot in the Grateful Dead world……..

Tucson: In July 2021 the kind folks of the GEMS network put a great sounding copy, from Bear’s cassette master, into circulation. And while it’s incomplete, it does include It’s A Sin, an early Hard To Handle (with Garcia on pedal steel), and the big jam sequence. And for all you Lovelight haters, this one clocks in at a mere 19 minutes. Absolutely worth a listen!!!

Newcastle: This was one of the first Europe 72 recordings I had, long before the trunk was issued. Rough and greasy, not without its faults, yet with depth of charm. Great China/Rider, fine Playing In The Band, cool Good Lovin’ to open the second set, fierce Truckin’. I loved it way back in the day and still do, although I admit its not the best show from the tour. Always worth a listen……

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting……

Rock on!

Doc
For the sin they do by two and two they must pay for one by one…..

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Sounds good WTJ. I really like this release, another good change of pace and I believe the only 84 show released besides the 30 Trips Box.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

My friends!!!

Where is the rest of 4/13/69? Is it in the banana boxes?????

We have to stop and be humble enough to understand that there is something called mystery.......

Rock on!

Doc
Evil being the root of mystery, pain is the root of knowledge......

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

TGIF rockers!!!

Today there can be no other..........

Bucknell. The ethereal. The sublime. The acidic. The hard rockin' Bucknell................

There's only a step from the sublime to the ridiculous, but there's no road leading from the ridiculous to the sublime......

Rock on!!

Doc
It is the mark of a great man that he puts to flight all ordinary calculations, he is at once sublime and touching, childlike and of the race of giants.......

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Giants 87 is where I'm at, but sounds like Bucknell may be one of your favorite shows, Doc. I'm going to have to add that to the mental rolodex.

Thanks, Doc and Have a Grateful Day!!