• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

nice release.. does anybody know if this is a charge the your card and keep the funds, or does it fall off and recharge when it ships?? looking forward too DSO 8/3 in buffalo..thanx
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Your opinions chime pretty closely with how I perceive Mickeys impact on the band. He added so much during his first tenure, from September 1967 to February 1971-they were basically a different band after he joined-incredibly powerful and innovative. I think there was a bit of a lull in creativity during 1971-up until when Keith joined in October. And this to me-from October 1971 until October 1974 is the second-and best-great era for The Dead. Simply countless incredible concerts and jams that I don't think I will ever tire of listening to. No one in so called "rock" music comes close to the agility and dexterity they showed in their jams during this era. And they occurred in virtually every concert I have heard during these years. I can remember reading once that there were uneven concerts during the 1972 European tour-I have heard all of them, and I have yet to hear one. Unfortunately-to me-it all went dramatically down hill when Mickey re joined-for all the reasons you mention. Sure, there were good shows-but on the whole the magic had gone. Occasionally I enjoy listening to a post 1974 show-I played the October 1989 show from 30 Trips a few days ago, and enjoyed the second set jam there-sounded a bit like new age music to me-but in no way was it in the same class as the space jams in the pre 74 shows. Post 1974 shows have been grossly over represented in official releases-especially recently. I think they were okay at the time-and even more so if you were actually there. I only saw the Dead in two years-both in London in 1981 and 1990. So I would be interested if shows from one of those three runs were released. But listening objectively-from a purely musical point of view-none of the shows I saw hold a candle to any of the shows they played in England in 1972. The best release this year, again, this is purely subjective, has been the 1971 box set of dubious provenance that came out about 8 moths ago. 7 complete shows from July 1971-December 1971-FM sound-no in depth liner notes-just solid gold all the way through. And very inexpensive.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

My wife & I had a blast watching the show last night. We both love watching the band play. It's cool how many nuances and random moments you catch when you can watch them do their thing. It definitely adds to the experience. Jerry's grin is worth the price of admission alone! I'm one of those folks who buys everything that's released and I've already ordered this box set, so I'm hoping this doesn't come off too whiny. PLEASE consider releasing more DVDs because they are so fun to pop in and watch. VFTV IV, Downhill From Here, New Year's '78, and Sunshine Daydream are a few personal favorites. With all the shows that have been in the theaters, I'd think they could be easily released as DVDs. I think I remember reading there are licensing issues with the incredibly killer Europe '72 Beat Club performance, so that's understandable. Anyway, still very grateful to be able to see the band at least once a year and on a big screen with great sound, no less. Thank you to the powers that be for getting this stuff out to us and please consider releasing more DVDs if possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

Really cool analysis on the "two drummer" problem. That's the type of thing I keep coming back to these threads for. Usually when I listen, I'm too spellbound by Jerry and Phil to notice nuances about the drumming like that. I'm going to have to do a side by side track comparison and see for myself. I picked up a big DVD set called "All the Years Combine" recently. I popped in "Truckin Up to Buffalo" last night because I couldn't make it out to the movie. During the Drums sequence, Mickey grabbed this thing that looked a giant air filter, and was banging on it with something that looked like a glowstick crowbar. What is that? It didn't sound as weird as it looked. Cool sequence regardless. Someone awhile ago said that the Drums / Space sequence is a lot cooler seeing it than just hearing it. After watching that video last night I have to agree. MOAR DVDS!
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

We too had sound problems at the start (sounded very quiet and muffled) but they figured it out quickly and cranked it to 11! Overall I thought it was a good show and the crowd was really vibing well. Can't wait for the release in November!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

First, I ennjoyed the watch party last night. Saw some familiar faces I hadn't seen in far too long. That is the point, yes? Second, I generally favor more releases from 1989, so I'm glad on that score. Third, however, this is not one I would have chosen. The RFK shows are the worst of July 1989 by a rather large margin. The Alpine shows (all 3) are far superior. As are both Giants Stadium shows, Sullivan Stadium, JFK, Rich Stadium, & Deer Creek. Not to mention the Shorline shows from late June & the Cal Expo shows from early August (Hey Pocky > Playin > Rider > Terrapin one night & Truckin > Wang Dang > Crazy Fingers > Cumberland > Eyes the night prior). I think those picking the releases focus too much on the quality of the recording rather than the quality of the performance. These are average shows in every way save for the brief cameo by Hornsby.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

the band did what they did. take it or leave it the lineups change and so did what was going on off stage. 1965 - 1995 thats a lot of time people want it to stay the same or when they found to be the best. that is not how life works "The wheel is turning and you can't slow down You can't let go and you can't hold on You can't go back and you can't stand still If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will ...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

The muther flaming video disks! C'mon GDM, we know you have them. I just lined up and paid to see one on a theater screen. I cannot imagine why they couldn't just add those in and charge us another $100. I guess I'll have to depend on the youtube pirates to find these and load them up. Don't get me wrong, I paid for the box, I just don't know why they don't want to take all of my money...
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

After seeing this I can't wait for the new box. I also do not understand why movie theaters can not figure these things out. If you go to an action film them sound is blasted, but last night it was very low and hollow. My theater did not sound like they had anything but the front speakers playing and the low end was non-existent.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Thoughts on recent posts:- Glad to hear MUATM went well and can't wait to get the release. I had a teenager out for the night, so stayed close to home. Drummers: - Yes in '71-'74 (especially '72-73) the drums had a real swingy feel, and the sound/vibe changed when Mickey rejoined in '75. That didn't have any negative implications, IMO, until '79-early 80's. In '75-'77 it worked very well, but by '78 the drums were overpowering the band, and it was bursting at the seems - DaP23 1/22/78 is a perfect example: Big energy and big percussion, but as a result Jerry and Keith were so turned up that they were distorted - Keith especially. Finesse slowly went out the window in favor of bombast - no wonder Keith emotionally checked out in '78. As time went on, the drums sometimes sounded like two kits falling down one flight stairs. - As for WHO decided to bring Mickey back and WHY, let's not overthink it WHILE oversimplifying it. "The GD was a collection of friends" as Jerry said - no one was calculating the exact musical impact, and no one had our benefit of 40 years of hindsight. I'm sure it was "Hey, Mickey's back! Cool," like Norm walking into Cheers. It just felt right so they did it, and for a while it worked. Who's to say if it would have been better if he never rejoined? 1976-78 (especially '77) might NOT have been as high a resurgence without Mickey - we'll never know. Re: Keith and Donna over the years - I repeat my often-stated, over-simplified view that Keith started the GD with a HUGE bang but struggled by the end (massive drug use, refusal to adapt to the band's evolution from ragtime band to raging rock band), while Donna struggled at the beginning (pitch) but shone brightly in later years. DaP23 highlights how strong Donna was in '78.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My friends and I were driving to Springfield (March 1973) in my dads Dodge Charger brougham LTD. We were so ripped my friend re read brougham as "brew ha mobile ". It was also an LTD (limited). When the rubber hits the road, it's all limited baby. The movie was quite good. Was reminded how good Brent was. Attack mode on the keys. Must have been one intense human being. Neal Cassady didn't die, he just stole another body.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Using Firefox on a Windows 7 machine and your tip fixed my ordering problem. Went in to Tools, Options, Privacy, and added "dead.net" and "gratefuldead.warnermusic.com" to the "Accept 3rd party cookies" list. Taking my money now!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Went to the same theater for the past couple years and the sound was great, the seats are those power recliners, the perfect way to watch the show if you can't dance.the problem was only 10 people in the theater that holds hundreds and a couple drunks in the back row that tried to scream over the music making it tough for anyone to enjoy anywhere in the theater. Still a good night out and hopefully the theater continues next year, but it was the worst attendance of any of the previous shows by a large margin. The show itself was okay, the visuals of Brent and Jerry were the best, starting with the eye rolling and smirks as Bob grabs the slide in Minglewood. The Healy effects, hopefully fixable on the multitracks, were very noticeable but annoying as hell during the FOTD with a heavy dose of reverb to the vocals that made it seem like Jerry was singing in a tunnel. The Hornsby part was really good to watch as Bruce looked to Jerry for queues and Jerry gave him the go ahead when he went to Brent's midi keyboard set on the grand piano sound. This part rocked as both Bruce and Brent on the B3 dueled on the 2 keyboards much to Jerry's delight. For me the show never took off until Estimated, but just like the real shows it gave lots of times for bathroom breaks and trips back to the car for legal green before the fire works began ;) Seeing Tiger is always a pleasure and when he broke out the recently Midi outfitted Wolf for the Space>Miracle segment it was nice as both are such beautiful instruments in Jerry's hands. With that said, it'll make a nice bonus DVD in the new box. Hint Hint And of course THANKS to Dave and The Powers That Be for another fine evening with friends, even if not many showed up, it was a great way to celebrate Jerry's Birthday.
user picture

Member for

14 years

David Lemieux once stated in a seaside chat years ago that mastering and producing the vids for DVD release is very expensive and they do not sell nearly as well as the CD releases...
user picture

Member for

14 years

Pretty good size crowd in our regular theater this year (and our city had locations). Like a microcosm of a show complete with a couple isle dancers, the inevitable show talker, wooers etc... Biggest highlights IMO were 1/2 Step, FOTD, Promised Land, Man Smart Women Smarter. Just a lil extra in those and maybe one or two more. Good times!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

I went to the meetup last night, and I did not like the show. There's only a handful of Grateful Dead songs I don't like, and they played six of them. Garcia chose slow song after slow song. Talking about a slow night, only Bob Weir made any attempt to wake me up - I literally fell asleep over and over again in the theater. This is the first Grateful Dead box set I won't be buying. At $65 I get the audio of a show I don't like, and the other show has five other Grateful Dead songs I usually skip. Looks like another slow night, with even Bobby joining in, plus they perform my all time least favorite song, "Terrapin Station." Any show without Terrapin is a good show, generally. No thanks, but I'm glad they put all the stuff I hate into one package so I could safely skip the whole thing.
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

our sound last night was good, except <50Hz...i really didn't expect this quality for a regal cinema...volume level was r&r loud...now, fair warning, i'm really not screamin' here but THEY WERE ON; ELECTRIC, DEAD SILENT, FULL BLAST, YET CLEAN...DID I MENTION THEY WERE PUSHING EACH OTHER?...my favorite songs were woman/man with that reggae-clave feel, and lovelight
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Cant tell if youre being serious or not... Slow songs= bad? Terrapin= bad?! Id love to hear the thought process behind that. This show was rockin. But I guess that goes back to opinion... what do you gravitate towards, set list wise? That Man Smart Woman Smarter was a blast, Hornsby sit in is always welcomed in my book. Ship of Fools>Estimated>Eyes>Drums... really the whole second set was a heater {in my opinion}. Also got a huge kick out of that Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues, Phil's rendition had a cool flow to it. 'Started out on Heineken but soon hit the harder stuff'. The crowd in our cinema was super into the whole show too, clapping and grooving. A real good time, on the birth date of the Captain himself. Thanks to everyone who coordinated the show! Cant wait till next year!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Howdy...I was shocked at the RFK boxset announcement, seems like the flood gates are opening up...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

Garcia chose to perform nothing but slow songs after a strong opening - 5 in a row: the slow inferior version of Friend of the Devil, Sugaree, Ship of Fools, Black Peter, and Black Muddy River. Any of these alone are fine, but a bit too much. Why not play something fast like Deal, Alabama Getaway, Don't Ease Me In, U.S. Blues and countless others. And yes, I absolutely hate Terrapin. It starts out OK, but then degrades into a totally repetitive riff that bores me to death - and also unforgivably takes away time from a long jammed out tune that would normally be in that slot, like The Other One or Not Fade Away.
user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

This set is definitely not for me...the flow and the song choices as previously stated kinda leave me cold...and as for the Billy/Mickey thing, I always felt that eventually it turned into Billy playing his kit while Mickey played his ego...just my two centavos worth...enjoy all...
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Sounds like it's always a lull for you. Anyway, you got your time slots mixed up. And you still get The Other One you wanted, it comes a while after the Terrapin you don't want (7/13 show).
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

this set makes me happy as i love the late Brent-phase as much as the Pigpen-timesSongwise....huhhhh....why complain ? It`s deep and wide as the Dead ever are... thumbs up
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Thanks again to Dave and company for putting on another great show. Of course I will be buying the CD set as I love to support the people who are working hard to keep the music alive. The Man Smart was incredible, loved seeing Bruce with the band. Bobby rocking out to Estimated was awesome :-) Lots of good moments in this show, looking forward to the rest! Thanks Dave!
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

The sound at Marcus Addison, IL cut out periodically, which was a disappointment. I don't know if that was a technical difficulty or the film itself. Additionally, in my humble opinion, not a great show for Meet-Up. But all enjoyed and danced the night away. As being addicted to the Dead, I am biting the bullet and purchasing the set. Hopefully the audio is in its entirety there.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

That sounds like an isolated anomaly, the sound at Marcus (Gurnee, IL) didnt cut out or fade at all, it sounded awesome. So I think its probable that the release is going to have some good sound. Thumbs way up!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have most all official releases, subscribe to Dave's Picks, plus countless concerts on CD, flac (prior my collection was on cassettes). I have so many 1989 shows (many of the surrounding shows in July 1989 including Giants, Alpine Valley). I have Nightfall, Buffalo, RFK, Hampton official releases, yet I still feel compelled to buy this set. Why? What have they done to my brain? I could take two years off from work and do nothing but listen to nothing but GDead and JGB and still still not hear all that I have. Why am I going to plunk down $75 (ship and tax) for two 1989 shows? I suppose there are worse vices that I could have, but I need someone to explain this to me.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

If you put one in your cart and click proceed to checkout, then get the message 'your cart is empty', do the following: Click 'continue shopping', then at the top of the screen click on the shopping cart (it should have a 1 on it). Worked for me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....It's pretty rampant on these boards, so don't feel bad. Still better than meth....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Just decided to order RFK STADIUM 1989 BOX, maybe it will somehow help me to stand missed latest Dave's Picks set! Been listening Dead since -74 .... Never been in the concert since they never visited Finland.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

Spoken like a true deadhead neveralul.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Two things: 1) You gotta spend your money on something, you can't take it with you. 2) As you said far worse things to spend it on.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

got meth? :-) Looking forward to this release, less memorable than Foxboro, Buffalo or Philly....but they were mighty fine memories....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Nothing like kids in college to cure the addiction. Fall tuition.. means a pass. Half way through college bills, I've skipped quite a few things I can't justify spending on. I was at the show, remember it well.. and don't feel the need on this one. it is all personal taste, so enjoy if you're ordering. If they want all my money and my kids left without education, they ought to re-release old stuff. Maybe in the future I can get the stuff I'd have liked and couldn't afford in the past.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

I've heard David say on Sirius XM that the RFK shows fly under the radar, and that they're every bit as good as Philly, Buffalo, or Alpine. David was half right. RFK flies under the radar because the RFK shows don't measure up to Philly, Buffalo, Alpine, Deer Creek, Giants Stadium or JFK to start with. The show last night was fun in the theatre, and they really did perform great versions of Minglewood, Half Step, Cassidy, FOTD. The second set was ok and well played but sometimes you can judge a show by the song listings, and that's the case here. The real treat was SEEING the band interact...something this boxed set won't allow us to do. As Summer 1989 shows go these shows had to be toward the bottom of the barrel (which means it was still pretty darn good.) I'm still debating if I will purchase this set. I've got good confidence this won't sell out by the time the ship date nears. But when you release Alpine, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INCLUDE THE DVD'S OF EACH SHOW. There are no finer DVDs of the Grateful Dead than Summer 1989 (as a total collection). Please release them. If a higher price for the boxed set is warranted because of the DVD releases, we get it. Or...what about with DVD's/without DVD's as a purchase option ??
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

I watched the show in Ft. Myers, FL (not the place for Dead Heads to flock in case that wasn't obvious). It was amazing! There was a crowd of about 20-25. I got the feeling that most of us knew the majority of the songs. I didn't get to see a Dead and Co show this year. While this didn't make up for it, it was my only chance to listen to the Dead with other Heads. I thought every song rocked... even the slow ones. Jerry and Tiger were on fire. Bob was out of this world. Phil doing Dylan was sweet. Brent knocked it out of the park. The Devils did a fatastic job. And Bobby's shorts! Need I say more. Right.. Bruce on accordion was hilarious. This put me in the best mood. I wish there was one once a month. Happy 75th Birthday Jerry!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Since this does not appear to be a limited edition I'm guessing this will go into the catalog for Apple and other music services. A tad pricey I feel. I'm gonna wait this one out.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Wasn't planning on going due to work, but schedule cleared up so I got to go. Got there late, sound was a bit disappointing at first, but they eventually turned it up. Thought Phil was dropping bombs early, but realized it was Dunkirk playing in the theatre next door. Hope the low-end is better on the release than the movie theatre. Had a good time, no pause in film between sets, so hit the head right before drums was wrapping up, ran into a couple of friends in the hallway, since I was late, did not see them ahead of time. Figured one might be there since he lives nearby - Happy Birthday Steve! - He shares a birthday with Jerry. Loved seeing Wolf during Space. My only gripe is that there should be two screens - one with the film as presented and the other screen with the Jerry and his guitar close up. When Jer's on fire on a solo, I really don't need to see the back of him to get an audience shot, I want to see the fingers move, strings bend, the guitar sing. I know - first world problems, but wouldn't it be cool... Looking forward to this release. Glad to see a nice-price box for the post 70's heads out there looking for a little more parity. Loving the latest DaP and the May GSTL box - strong shows, nothing left to do but smile smile smile...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Anyone else notice the Land of 1000 Dances riff that Bob plays after far from me? He goes over and says something to Jerry about it, Jerry cracks up , they start playing Cassidy. Then, about 3:20 into Cassidy, Bob repeats the Wilson Picket riff. Jerry actually looks a little miffed, like he lost a bet or something. I was at this show, have listened to it many times, never noticed the nah, nah nah nah nah bit in the middle of Cassidy before. Pretty cool.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I will never forget walking out of RFK 7/13/89 and one of my brothers going I liked the second night better, we all agreed. I never even listen to these on the archive so I will pass. Stuck at a business dinner last night so I could not go meet up at the movies, the 1/2 step and Estimated I saw as the teasers looked great. Anyone who sweats like that must be alright!!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Bob.. was in town and thought I'd stop by and see if you were going to the MUATM's.. trying to make up for missing you at Fenway. But you were not home, looks like you were working late. I let my guard down for just a minute and that damned dog of yours violated me. At first I was ashamed and blamed myself. I dunno. Just trying to make sense of it. I guess I will leave it at that for now.. I have some scheduled therapy starting next week, I'm sure its no big deal. Sorry to trouble you with this. ____________ Edit: Ooops..meant to send this as a PM. How do you delete these things? Damned mac.. hate these damned things. Argh.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

It will be there until the universe explodes
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html