• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • schumertour

Hey noww i placed my order for the RFK 89 set on Saturday Nov 21 and received confirmation that it will ship with Ups (tracking # provided) today Wednesday Nov 25 2020. I was reluctant to order considering the comments about delays in receiving the goods, glad it seems they’re on it now. Nothin left to do but smile smile smile!!!!! Can’t wait to fire up and crack that baby open to relive the moments missed.

• InfiniteJest

Is this 100% still in stock?

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

Try contacting Marye at the 'Got Issues With Your Store Order' forum; it's further down on the topics page. She might be able to help as she has in the past. I can understand your frustration. Also, remember the mail has been slooowed down. Good luck.

• Thetentman

This service is the worst. So slow and unhelpful.

• Thetentman

I ordered this in Feb 2020. It is now the last day of August 2020 and I am still waiting. Last week they notified me it was in stock. 2 days later they said it shipped. Except the Tracking number they provided does not work. They have not replied to 2 requests for info. My Dave's Picks subscription takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. So I guess I will start looking at the end of September. BTW when I ordered it never mentioned that it was not in stock. It is too bad that the DEAD trust this Mickey Mouse operation. We deserve better. FYI there are many choices and bootlegs on Amazon with MUCH better service. Caveat Emptor.

• That Mike

Sorry to say, but the problem is Dead.net itself. They take your money, and you are your own. No response to e-mail requests to Customer Nonservice, and phone calls promise to “escalate” your very important message to the Warehouse, which is double talk for “We will pitch your request in the garbage”. Too bad - a musical legend, that produces the sonic masterpieces it does, and it leaves Shipping and Customer Service in the hands of the Keystone Kops.

I wish you well, but welcome to the Matrix.

• StevePaulos
    Default Avatar

Ordered on 6/4/2020. What’s the hold up?

• Thetentman

I ordered in May. It is on backorder. No one can tell me when it is due back in stock. Love the Dead But they leave a lot to be desired with their merchandising arm. How hard is it to put a banner across the web page with the product status?

• truckineric

My order for RFK 89 is still in pending mode. I ordered on 12-22. Is it sold out? I hope not because I need more 1989 in my life :)

• truckineric

Is this sold out? I purchased on 12-22. My order is still pending. Please help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

Love that place. DTE Energy Amphitheater my ass. Never saw the Dead there (or anywhere, sadly) but saw the Allmans there in 96. First time seeing the Allmans, and first time seeing any show without being chaperoned. A seminal moment in the life of a young Rogue. Me, my roommate, and the cute blonde who lived across the hall all piled into his Chevy S10. It had no backseats, so Cute Blonde had to sit on my lap. How unfortunate :) Since then, I've probably seen 50 shows there. And Cute Blonde is now Mrs. Deadguy. Any Michigan peeps going to see Mule tonight at Meadowbrook ? (Another great Michigan venue).
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Saw many many shows there. It was where my Grateful Dead journey began in '84, the first of around 50 over an 11 year period that ended with the final show at Soldier Field. Saw the Allman's there in '90, '91, '92, '93, not in '94 because I went to the State Theater in Detroit in the Spring and Val-Du-Lakes HORDE Fest in the Summer, then '95 through '99. Skipped a few years then back there again in '05, '07 and their last one there in '08. Looks like icecrmcnkd and I attended a lot of the same shows. Went to all of the Palace Dead shows as well as that '91 Allman/Feat Toys For Tots benefit. My buddy and I even taped that one until security busted us confiscated our batteries in the middle of the Allman's set (Warren Haynes sitting in on Dixie Chicken is something to behold). Speaking of Warren Haynes, Gov't Mule is actually playing at Frederick Meijer Gardens tonight and I'll be there. Galactic opening! It's in my hometown. About to head down to get in line for a good spot to sit as it's a general admission venue. The show is sold out. The venue only holds a couple of thousand people. Great place to see a show.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That's quite impressive. I saw 5 myself. Well-4 and a half. At the middle night in London-Halloween 1990-my girlfriend of the time joined me to see the band. She had always been indifferent to them-but on this night-of all nights- she decided she hated them. Well, it wasn't so much the Dead, as the Deadheads. Sorry guys-hopefully it wasn't any of YOU. We happened to be sitting in a particularly smoky and rowdy section, and after the first set ended I decided enough was enough and we left. Otherwise there might have been carnage-she was very beautiful-but you wouldn't want to mess with her. It was a great set, too-arguably the best of the run. I saw them on my own either night of Halloween-both great shows to my ears-but the 31st was the ONE. I have never heard Govt Mule-although I their name crops up a lot. They are playing in London soon, so maybe I should go. On my own.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I hear you Dave. I have been hit or miss on relationship GD love. Mostly miss, but always tolerance, I do expect at least that level of support. It's one of those things you have to discover for yourself, you can't push people into it. My first love was and still is a deadhead.. perhaps I should have stuck it out. Oh well, revisionist history I guess. On a related note.. in my tiny, tiny town (or at least close to it) we are getting the John K Band this weekend playing at a local bar/restaurant/music venue. He's from DC so its only a three hour drive for him. He did some sort of echo tour with one of my neighbors a few years back, so he's no stranger to recreating in the mountains here.. I think it was flat water kayak mountain lake related, the guide is an older hippie but not really a deadhead and had absolutely no idea who John Kadlecik was. It was only after it was over he pieced it all together. Anyway.. sorry for the side-bar.. The local music scene here is mostly bluegrass or shoddy cover bands, getting some better dead related stuff shines a ray of sunshine on the local scene.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

Sonuvagun you're right. Mule is in Grand Rapids tonight, not Rochester. Obviously I didnt have tix yet, but I was going to bust out of work and head right down to Meadowbrook. None of my usual concert buds wanted to go, and I was wondering / hoping someone from here might be there. Guess I dont need to bother. Have fun, man, tell us about it tomorrow. Mule and Galactic, dayum! I shoulda been more on top of it. Meijer Gardens is a great venue, small and intimate, like a club, but outside. As I recall they're kinda stingy about smoking there, tho. Saw Umphreys there a couple times. Jim -- thx --- I like to use the story of me, Mrs. Deadguy, and my roommates old S10 to help explain to folks who don't understand why I love going to shows so much, why they're such a big part of my pursuit of happiness. Figured most folks here would appreciate it.
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

It never worked well for me. Especially outdoor shows in the Florida heat. At The Who's 1982 tour stop in Orlando, my date dropped from the smoke( Maui wowie high grade) and the heat. She had to be lifted over the front of stage barricade. After the show she wandered out and looked like hell. Poor lass! Another time at Rush in Lakeland another date decided to puke all over the guys ahead of us. Red jungle juice all over this dudes tour shirt. Total calamities. I had to buy the guy another shirt to keep him from going ape shit.Had yet another date at Pink Floyd in Orlando mid 80s try and get back together with her ex she spotted in the crowd! I just couldn't win! Now with my wife of 24 years we have no issues as she is a non partier and likes to stay away from the insanity. Suits me fine. Oh yes The Stones Tattoo You tour 82, and a different girl. She passed out in the heat and had to go to the first aid station for fluids! Only to get in my Trans Am on the way home and fill the passengers floorboard with vomit that was so nasty, the smell refused to leave the car and cost me a nice chunk when I traded it in on a new ride. Like in Seinfeld that smell could not be erased. The salesman actually asked if someone had died in the car! Thanks Babe!!!

Member for

16 years 10 months

Omigosh, man, that reminds me of me, though your stories win by some miles. For me it was just one girl I was hopelessly, helplessly enamored of and kept thinking that seeing a great show together might spark something that was, in hindsight, never going to happen. Our first "date" was Jethro Tull ~ fine show until we couldn't find my car for about an hour afterwards. Then came Pittsburg '89, which we drove to together from Baltimore. As recently recounted, I never did hook up with my ticket connection ~ I gave her the one we had in hand, and watched her head in while I eventually had a front-row seat to the nationally televised riot after ticketless heads rushed the gates. Next came JGB that year, when she spotted her most recent ex and spent the entire post-show having a heart-to-heart with him as I waited nearby (after hurrying us along with "I'm tired" when I'd tried gushing with my own friends minutes earlier). Spring '90, third night Landover. Pre-show, she took a nap in my car rather than hang out with me in the lot. As soon as we got inside, she ran into yet another ex-boyfriend and left on the back of his motorcycle after the show. That's okay, at least I saw the Black-Throated breakout from the 9th row ~ where she'd refused to join me, having already told ex she'd be sitting behind the stage...just before my friends offered us the upgrade. There's yet another entry, 3rd night Nassau a week later ~ but you've heard enough. Yes, I was a sap. But we remain dear friends to this day. Spacebro, Appreciate the shout-out for 6/14/91. The finest post-Brent show, and stadium show period, that I saw. Pre-drums was to die for (Help > Slip > Franklin's > Estimated > Dark Star...are you kidding?). Then again, I missed RFK the year before, which by all accounts was the bomb. But backpacking in Europe that summer (and Asia that Fall) was a pretty great excuse....
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Seriously funny stuff.. completely cracked me up.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I had been trying to decide whether to post this but seeing y'all post about hippy chicks or girls and the dead I guess I will. I truly do believe in the universal cosmic mind or group mind. As I have been sick and very sick for a big chunk of 2017, I had to have home health. Of course, part of it was insurance based but part of it was private pay. Family and friends use one gentleman as a handyman for various homes, farms, etc. His lady was tasked with being my private nurse as she is retired (right now, could change as demand for nurses is out of control). As she was connected through the family/friends it was a discounted rate, in case you think I live in the King's castle. But I was so sick that my family could not handle all that was going on with me. Well not going get into all the details but she started to visit me when I was staying with family as I was in and out of the hospital 4 different times for a total of 40 days. When I finally got home on March 18th and quite frankly scared of being alone, she showed up the next morning. I had just had final surgery on March 16 and when I woke up in the middle of the night, two of the wounds were not properly sealed so my night shirt with cap (ok not that) but my underwear and sheets had a lot of blood on them. She did not panic, thankfully, and kept me calm and contacted the surgeon. That all worked out. The first few weeks she came every day, 2-3 times a day. She was so kind. She came and checked out wounds, changed dressing, and flushed drains that I had in me. She also prepared 2 meals a day for me. Turns out I worked for her father's law firm as I worked my way through undergraduate school. So I knew her dad. She knew my folks as well. It is a small southern town. One day as she was fixing me scrambled eggs we were talking about our youth and all. She is actually 9 years my senior but a drop dead gorgeous blonde. We were just talking about life and Karma and all, like is my illness the result of something I was being punished for? I told her I used to be wild, but do not believe that Karma played a reason for illness. We continued talking about traveling and stuff. I told her I have traveled a pretty good bit as I was a Grateful Dead fan when I was younger. She responded, oh, I was a Grateful Dead fan when I was younger too. Well ding ding ding. We now had that instant connection. This was still in late March. Her last medical visit was Friday. In that interim we spent so much time together. She saw me at my worst, the weakest physically with open infected wounds and all. We had profoundly deep conversations. Around the end of May I started to show her some of my musical collection to which she was floored. Understandable since most of us on here are kind of in that 1% of deadication. I finally got my first shower in late May. And man, 5 months without a shower makes you really appreciate something so simple and how pleasurable that is. Of course to shower, I had to have her there as I was and still am a fall threat (label of medical community). So as I showered, I would play her various eras of dead music. Last Monday I played the acoustic set from Radio city with the Ripple and all. So here I sit on Monday really conflicted. First of all, she has a man. However, they are not married but do live together. Before I met her my sister had been asking me some questions about life and I told her that the wierd thing is I have had more than a few married females make it clear that they enjoyed my company. But single ladies I seem to run off. Of course, we all know the strength and weaknesses of the female dna (how is that for tact) so I am not going to speak more on that. So I can tell that she seems to want me to press on this issue. There in lies the dilemma. Her fella is a family friend but he is 10 years older than her, a workaholic, kind of running out out of steam but is supper kind. (Btw, her man saw Hendrix at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival). So I am all melancholy over what to do. I had written when I first came on this board that there were few if any heads around here. The ones I have met are all in there early 20's so they never saw them. All have been kind but as I am 30+years older do not have a lot to talk about. So to meet the first female head in my area has just floored me. Of course, I am also trying to rationalize my thoughts as it relates to reverse Florence Nightingale syndrome. I really do not know what to do. You all have pointed out the opposite of "tragedy narrowly averted" when it comes to ladies and concerts and all. I am ordering for her Reckoning Expanded for her personal kindness. I am also ordering her the book "The road less traveled" as it is a great book on healing. So I know she will be back to receive those gifts. I also will need some additional surgery later this year so I am sure she will be helping me with that. Just cannot decide to speak honestly about my fondness for her or not. I have been trying so hard to not allow my fondness to grow for her but she is so sweet, patient and loving that it is hard to do. I know she has a fella but like I wrote earlier, I have had several married ladies press me. I know it is because I am kind (and usually have the kind, smile). So I know that usually I speak more to a woman's heart than most of their husband's and her man does. I know it all starts because I actually listen to them and respond accordingly. I know none of you here are this way but a lot of guys take what they have for granted. It is easy for me to connect but I have never stepped over the line. All I can ponder is the discussion with my sister and how it was my sister that got this cute little deadhead to be my nurse. Now I really do not know what to do. I think I am just going to present her the gifts and let her know that she will always have a very soft spot with me for all of the help that she has provided. Sorry for the rambling. Does anyone have any advice?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Don't do anything that could possibly cause regrets. Don't do anything that could ruin what you already have with her. She's in a relationship. Let her know how much you appreciate her but don't cross a line. She's in a relationship. If there's something there the next step should be her's. I always told my kids "A moment of stupidity, a life time of regret." To your continued recovery my friend.
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

One VERY VERY WISE man!
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Take the friendship and quality medical care for now....
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Great story about cute blonde. But, considering that you live in the land of Bell's, Founders, New Holland, and others, why do you waste your time with that Rogue garbage?
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Haven't watched it in years.Just put it in and started at MNS, now on Help. We need more video released!!!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

oh course you all are right. Mhammond12 I appreciate it. It was a nice gentlemanly slap to the face like, snap out of it. I was hesitant to post but of course could not discuss that around here. So the advice is very much appreciated! G
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

First.. man, I knew you were a bit sick, but I had no idea. Feel better man.. its great to see you posting again, but take care of yourself. About your dilemma.. your wish is.. well, we felt some urgency on this one, so without too much discussion we decided the best course of action was to have her 'partner' relocated. To Guam, effective immediately. Come the morning light he will be completely out of the way. I was hesitant to recommend intrusive intervention like this. These things sometimes get away from you and before you know it.. its witness relocation time again. Still, I just had to do something to help you man. I'm sure everything will work out alright, in fact, I'm starting to feel good about this one. Edit: Shit.. just read the comments below. I wish I would have hit refresh on my browser. I guess I didn't think this all the way through. Crap.. mm.. to make matters worse, the guy turned out to be..nevermind, I think I have said too much. See you guys in a few months, hopefully this will resolve itself before the next release. crap..what's that buzzing sound... zzzkdkddddddddddzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Back when Mickey still used drumsticks.Those brushes he uses now with D&C don't make any sound. What's the point? For those going to D&C in Mexico, hope the alcohol is safe by then. http://www.newsweek.com/mexico-10000-gallons-illegal-alcohol-seized-ope… Considering that you can't drink the water, alcohol was supposed to be the safe bet..... Oh yeah, for any future video releases we don't need the cheezy graphics, my iTunes can do better than that. Just show us the band.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....i don't whether to laugh or shake my head. So I'll do both at the same time (yea. I'm a man of many talents). And to Gary, I'll keep it short but sweet. She has a man already. That's a good way to get punched or shot. My wife is a home caregiver. Has helped a lot of good people that she now calls friends. She has also helped the parasites that take advantage of the system. She sees the forest through the trees on those leeches though, and asks to be taken off them right away....mend well my friend. '82 Dead anyone?
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Jim, you crack my ass up again. Thanks so much. I find it fascinating you can find sound advice and levity off the same post. Really helped make my day. Vguy - thanks also. And yes 82 Dead. I have always loved the Greek 82 shows. That one has my favorite Lazy Lightning on it. Icecream...unfortunately the graphics are embedded. They set up a video tape to record what was actually showing on the large screens. Unfortunately, it can't be removed. I do also wish I could just watch the band. I do however like the graphics from Ticket to New Years, particularly during Bird Song. The drums graphics are wild on that one.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

"First of all, she has a man." I read that as, "First of all, she was a man." Changed the whole tone. Thought her name might be Lola.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Twas a good show. First time seeing Galactic. I acquired a few live recordings of them from the mid-'90s. They had a male vocalist then. Now they have a female vocalist who killed it. Mule played a great show. Nice setlist. They played a few Allman numbers as I guess they have been throughout the tour. Come And Go Blues, Dreams and a Mountain jam tease in the middle of their song Trane, which also quoted the usual St Stephen, Eternity's Breath ect. The venue itself is intimate and located in the middle of a scenic garden and sculpture park. They are strict on smoking, though not a total deterrence. On the other hand, good excuse for edibles. They do allow coolers and lawnchairs. It would be a great venue for Ratdog to play hint hint.
user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

icecrmcnkd -- as soon as Founders or somebody comes out with a puny beer name that also works as a handle on a Grateful Dead forum, I'll make the switch. How about the Long Strange Tripel? Brewery Vivant up in GR should be all over that one. Or the Oddside Other One? Dragonmead Dark Star? Founders Fire on the Mountain? So many great Michigan breweries. I'll have my people get on it. Spacebro: sounds like it was an awesome show. I've gotta get Galactic on my radar now. I saw them at the Intersection in Grand Rapids many years ago, mid 2000s maybe. I remember it being a solid show but their sound kind of overwhelmed the place. Rock-ier than I expected. Don't have to get Mule on my radar. Already there. I would go see Sr. Haynes play a children's show with Barney the dinosaur if that was the only way. GaryF: Sounds like some wise heads chimed on about your dilemma. When I first read your post, it took awhile to process it all and I wasn't sure what to say in response. I was listening to Two From the Vault as I was reading; and the first word that popped in my (dead)head was . . . CAUTION! Oooooh, how about a Stella Blueberry Stout? Maybe Right Brain Brewing up in Traverse City could run with that one. Mmmmm, I'm feeling thirsty for some reason.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

LOL - dude, I read it the exact same way!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

You need a job naming beers. The Intersection (previous location in Easttown) - saw No Doubt play there in '95 before they were huge. In the early '90's The Intersection had a Wednesday night beer special: pitchers (48 oz?) of Busch started at $1 and went up $0.50 every 30 minutes (or something like that). You had to get there early because the pitchers would run out. Yeah, I drank crap beer back then, but there wasn't a lot to choose from. Back then 'premium' beer was Michelob, Lowenbrau, St. Pauli Girl, Heinekin.... It was an epiphany when Bell's showed up around '92/'93.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Looks like the Dutch youth have discovered nitrous. Laughing gas sales balloon on Dutch party scene http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40861070 Still amateurs though, just doing whippets. Simonrob, grab a cylinder of medical grade and show those kids how deadheads do it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I am ashamed to admit... but its pretty funny. At some point in the late 80's I did a climbing trip with my brother and a high school friend that ended on the top of Devils Tower. We did stop in the Tetons for a few days since it was on our way.. met up with a college buddy of mine that was living there and filled up our goodie bag at the local head shop. We got some balloons and a box of those small nitrous cylinders. So there's picks of all of us at the top of the Middle Teton donning essentially winter coats and hats in the middle of summer riding out a storm passing the torch and sucking on Nitrous balloons. These same, cursed pictures seem to surface every time I run for Senate.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

I thought your story was going to end with you saying you did the balloons on top of Devils Tower and then couldn't remember how to get down.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The balloons were long gone by the time we got there.. The top of the tower has its own story, but doesn't lend itself well to telling here. For the record.. there is this colony of very hungry biting black flies up top.. they are blood thirsty-satanic villains.. vicious.. The Tetons are much higher though.. the Middle one (not the tallest) tops out at almost 13k ft., so the gas takes on a wicked edge at that altitude. Probably not the smartest thing we ever did... I have not seen the college buddy we did that end of the trip with since. We woke up at 4am, it's something like 6,500 feet of vertical to the top.. went up and down in a day. I don't think we peaked until after 2:00 pm.. at some point after lunch, I asked my buddy Marty how long until we get to the top.. he said, "I don't know.. this is the only time I've done this when I wasn't high on acid." We didn't get back down until well after dark only to find our car would not start. Luckily it was a stick and we were able to push start it. If you're out there reading this Senator... thanks man.. thank you for a real good time.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Hey Man, that was an honorable and gutsy thing to do - to share your tale and that which tugs at your heart. I hope you recover in due time and with ease. I, too, had no idea of the extent of your illness and I only wish you all the best. I will also say I think you've gotten some very decent advice from others here, so I won't lump on. BUT, i will also declare, being a kindred spirit of the heart-on-the-sleeve-type, I can understand and empathize with your predicament. In the end, best to be strong and take the road that will lead you to what are probably the morally correct avenues. I think you already know that though. Life can definitely take you by surprise in many, many ways. Stay strong - on all fronts, my friend - and Be Well. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

@icecrmcnkd: I had read that BBC article about an hour before I saw your post! I know exactly what you mean by a cylinder of medical grade - when I worked at a university I came across such a cylinder (blue, about 4-5 feet high) standing in the middle of a hall. Unfortunately the necessary apparatus that attaches to the top was absent so all I could do was look longingly at it. As for the inhalation of interesting substances, those days are sadly behind me now as I suffer from COPD but you can be sure I made full use of my lungs when they worked!
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

re your health: I sincerely wish you good health and recovery and everything good. re the lady: nope, nope, nope. femme fatale.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

If 6-10-73 is ever released, I think the price for the show will be over 100 dollars. I just bought the Allman Fox Box which is going for about 100 dollars. Both sides are going to want the royalties and with any kind of special treatment it will not be cheap. The price for this set is not bad. I'm just glad to get the extra release this year.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I have been thinking about your post, and what a difficult position you are in with this lady you mention. It can be very confusing when your heart is telling you to do one thing-and your head is telling you to do something else. Advice is a thorny subject, though-what is right for one person may not be right for another. But for what its worth... I have experienced similar dilemmas in my life. When I was much younger, I got on very well with my best friends wife. I had just come out of a relationship-she told me she had made a mistake marrying my friend...and we had a relationship. Which dragged on for many years. After about 5 she left her husband-he has never spoken to me since. 5 years later we split up, and are not now in contact. I have made many mistakes in life-this was the biggest. Later on, I became a social worker, working with people who had drug problems. I loved the job-and I loved the clients. I spent a lot of time with them-helping them get off drugs, stay off, or use less harmfully. And I helped them get housing, furniture, jobs , get on courses etc etc.Sometimes I worked intimately with a client for years and years. Occasionally a client would tell me they loved me. And although I loved them all-generically - there were some I felt more of a natural affinity for than others. But to have had a sexual relationship would, to me, have broken all professional and what were now my personal, boundaries. So I never did. If you told this lady how you feel, she may withdraw her support, or she may say she feels the same way and your relationship becomes more intimate. Or things may carry on as they are. I don't know. All I can say is that I am sorry I broke boundaries when I was younger, and glad that I didn't when I was older. I am single now at 60-but that's the way I feel. Whatever you decide, Gary, I wish you well-you sound like a genuine person.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I do thank all of you for your input on my situation. I rambled on too much but some things were not all that clear. When I was younger the married females were basically wanting affairs. That is fine, those are the ones I decided it would best to not go there. This lady made it clear, sort of, that she wants to be married. Again being in the southern USA, there is still that stigma about a female living with a male unmarried. One of those things where that is what she wants and what he refuses to do. I had no plans whatsoever to make a pass at her, although there seemed to be a few opportunities to do that. I was just planning on talking to her, slow and steady so as not to make either of us uncomfortable. Alas, for now, those thoughts have been laid to rest. Right now, as she sometimes helps my parents with there medical issues, I should have never even entertained any of those thought. I also feel bad that I posted it. I feel bad because I got the sense I was discussing a kind of taboo subject. So I apologize if I made any uncomfortable or have thoughts about there own situation. Now this is a joke, saying that upfront. But haven't we all failed the test. I mean Bobby's test. Shouldn't I be "stealing women from their men." At least I passed the more crucial test. wink! I do truly respect all of your opinions. Thanks for your kindness Sixtus. I know we are kindred spirits. Daverock thanks for your post and story as well. Life can be joyous and wonderful but it will always throw us a curve ball. Hope all are well, and thanks again! G
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Which Lola? Kinks or Manilo. Oh, not going to pull on that string...
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I never thought Stoltzfus was a name but yesterday I was watching morning business news and a gentleman was being interviews and his last name was Stoltzfus. Cool. What is the origin of that name?
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

The Allman Brothers: The Atlanta Box Set. I have been pondering whether to buy that. I have the original Instant Live recordings so I was wondering whether to get that box. I am sure it is worth it. Does it have any suprises like photos or anything? I happened to attend those shows and stayed across the street from the fox at the Terrace. Came out Saturday morning and all the brothers were standing outside after just finishing breakfast. I was wearing an old ABB shirt and had my truck pulled from the garage. I could not stop, so I waived and said, "Last night was great. Keep it up!" It was a great weekend.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Amish/Mennonite "proud foot" stoltz = proud fuss = foot what is every Amish woman's fantasy? Two Mennonite.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Great joke, took me a second to figure that out.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Increasingly difficult not to pounce on every release coming out..ooh capitalism
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Simonrob had the blue cylinder within his grasp,But it just slipped away....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....been there. Had fun until I did a whippet while standing in the Irvine Meadows lot. Passed out, knees locked, fell back like a sequoia. Crack my skull. Blood everywhere. Luckily, there was a guy parked across the lane who was a medic. Took off his shirt and wrapped my head. The lot medics showed up shortly after. Said I had a concussion and should go to the hospital. I waved them off. Went to the show with a makeshift turban from some stranger on my head. They played Tenn Jed that night. Dropped four flights and cracked my spine indeed. Still have the scar. My humble claim to fame. Listen kids. Don't do nitrous while standing. Haven't touched it since... .I know I've told that story here before. Or not. Could be because I had a concussion....
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Made it in to the show wearing a parking lot bandage turban.I salute you!! Yes, kids. ALWAYS SIT DOWN when enjoying balloons.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The Surgeon General recommends people over 6'5" sit down before playing with balloons. How's that song go, the taller they come, the harder they fall? Sorry to hear of your gravitational woes.. Sometimes yesterday's calamities become today's wisdom. I usually avoided the balloon trailer at shows. It never felt right... Edit: Oh, except that one time in Tacoma. I'm not sure that was my idea though. ..and we were being aggressively stalked by troll squirrels so there was much duress. ok, enough about that...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....height x angle x gravity ÷ oxygen depravation = blood. Bright red blood. Good times. Jerry pulled out a pretty kind Stagger Lee. Only saw two. This was the first....
user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

So my ole buddy turned 50 and we were doing the glory days rehash. I felt extremely jubilant so when the green Jack Daniels got to me, I lifted it up and guzzled a third of the bottle. A couple big tokes and some birthday cake and I was sliding down the kitchen wall like a melting scoop of ice cream. Upon waking up and looking at the kitchen ceiling, I knew that wasn't a good thing. Slowly getting on my feet and having another huge swat, I looked over at my buddy who was starring at me with concerns. In my best drunken Britney imitation I sang OOPS I Did it Again. !the crew busted out in laughter and fixed me a roast beef sandwich, and I was back!I do hope that's the last of those occurrences in this life. Getting too old for that shit!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

It's always the alcohol and the ether that does you in.. Man.. we seem to share some of the same vices. The song Mama Tried comes to mind. I love the Phil Banter "Thanks Mom" from Cornell. I usually crack up a little when that comes on or at the very least it evokes a wry Grinch-like grin.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html