• 1,823 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • giantnerd
    I'm trying to order this from my phone but I can't as the "first name" field won't stay on the screen and I can't access it. I pull it down and it skips right back up.
  • Kayak Guy
    Not a mention of limited editions or other qualifiers this seems to be a real release for the masses. They should put in the DVDs too, you know they have them... Where's the Dave's seaside chat?
  • GratefulJedd
    Is Rhino going to get this release right? Bc we know creating CDs now counts as rocket science. I can't wait to see how they screw this one up.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

RFK Stadium 1989 Box

LESS THAN 5000 LEFT

The Grateful Dead battled the elements in July 1989, enduring drenching rains and stifling humidity during back-to-back shows at Robert F. Kennedy Stadium in the nation’s capital. In spite of the bleak weather, the band thrilled the massive crowds both nights with triumphant performances that rank among the very best of a busy year that included 74 shows and the release of the group’s final studio album, BUILT TO LAST.

ROBERT F. KENNEDY STADIUM, WASHINGTON, D.C., JULY 12 & 13, 1989 includes two previously unreleased concerts taken from the band’s master 24-track analog recordings, which have been mixed by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser. The collection’s colorful slip case features original artwork by Justin Helton and a perfect-bound book with in-depth liner notes written by Dean Budnick, editor-in-chief of Relix magazine. The set will also be available as a digital download in Apple Lossless and FLAC 192/24.

When Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, Brent Mydland, and Bob Weir rolled into D.C. in July 1989 for the Dead’s two-night stand at RFK, the band hit the stage running with a stellar rendition of “Touch Of Grey,” the group’s biggest hit from its only Top 10 album In The Dark, which was released in 1987. The following night, the band returned to its double-platinum commercial breakthrough when it opened the show with a fiery version of “Hell In A Bucket.”

“RFK Stadium '89 fell right in the middle of one of the best tours of the last 15 years of Grateful Dead performances, with these shows being the sixth and seventh of an 11-show tour. This tour is widely considered the start of a nine month period of sustained excellence, which ran from Summer '89 through Spring '90. The RFK shows are as good as any of the more famous shows from this period, including July 4 in Buffalo, July 7 in Philadelphia, and the Alpine run,” says David Lemieux, Grateful Dead archivist and the set’s producer. “When Bob Weir has asked me to provide copies of Grateful Dead songs to give to his bandmates to learn and rehearse, he almost always requests Summer '89, and I've often drawn upon the RFK shows for this purpose. It's really that good!”

Both shows feature standout moments, but the July 12 show is notable for a few reasons. Perhaps the biggest is that the first set featured at least one song sung by each of the band’s four lead singers – Garcia, Weir, Lesh and Mydland – something that rarely happened. Another surprise came when the band opened the second set with “Sugaree,” a song that almost always appeared during the first set.

Pianist Bruce Hornsby — who briefly joined the band between 1990 and 1992 — is featured on both shows. He played accordion during “Sugaree” and “Man Smart (Woman Smarter),” with a touch of keyboard-tinkling, on July 12, and then played more accordion the following night for “Tennessee Jed” and “Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.”

For fans of Mydland’s tenure with the Dead – which began in 1979 and ended in 1990 with the keyboardist’s tragic death – these stellar shows capture that incarnation in peak form. Among the long list of highlights are performances of live staples such as “Eyes Of The World,” “Wharf Rat” and “I Need A Miracle,” along with rarities like “To Lay Me Down,” which was played only a few times in 1989. The July 13 show also features the band road-testing “I Will Take You Home,” a track Mydland wrote with Dead lyricist John Perry Barlow that would appear later that fall on Built To Last.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Is Rhino going to get this release right? Bc we know creating CDs now counts as rocket science. I can't wait to see how they screw this one up.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Not a mention of limited editions or other qualifiers this seems to be a real release for the masses. They should put in the DVDs too, you know they have them... Where's the Dave's seaside chat?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I'm trying to order this from my phone but I can't as the "first name" field won't stay on the screen and I can't access it. I pull it down and it skips right back up.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Did they forget about the 70's...geez, if they'd only release more shows from the 70's.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Love those multi-track mixes so keep 'em coming! Though with this release and the previous July 4 Buffalo release I'm starting to doubt I'll ever get my Alpine '89 Box:(
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I caught these.. I think I have just one listen since, years ago.. so this is a pleasant surprise. yea.. where are the DVDs? You're not holding out on us, are you Dave? :D
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Yes, where are the DVD's? Add the DVD's and charge more. Everyone will be happier!
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Also for Garcia's bday today, NPR's The Takeaway used all Dead for its interstitial music. I know I caught Peggy-O and Don't Ease Me In. Not sure what else they included.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Awesome! "Why not 2 box releases per year, Spring and Fall?" I recently commented. And here we are. Balances out the '70's-centric Dave's picks series, so releasing stuff from all eras. If we plodded along at 1 box/yr it would take forever to release gems like Ark box '69, Winter/Spring '71 box, Feb 73 box, Spring or Summer '73 box, Summer '76 box, Fall '77 box, Jan '79 box, '83 '84 Greek boxes, '91 Boston box, etc.... I guess they figure this box won't eat into Dave's Picks subscription sales. Given the recent outcry about DaP selling out so fast, I'm guessing they're not worried about this cannibalizing DaP sales. Yes, interesting that they are only releasing the audio, not the pro-shot video. Still waiting for the optimal video format/delivery method I guess.
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

This is fantastic and also caught me off guard. I love me some '89, '90, '91....damn all of it. But '89 had some interesting setlists and the bust out of the MIDI, which I thought helped to bring everyone to new directions. Very happy to see this. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Of all the 2 night runs this is what you go with? Still, nice to venture out of the 70s. Maybe these are better than I recall. From memory these nights weren't very remarkable. No matter, no holes in my collection, ordered. Shame about the lack of DVDs, that's almost criminal negligence right there.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Yea.. they should offer the DVDs. I pushed Dave on why they don't release DVDs a few years back. I didn't get a direct answer, but I suspect if sales of prior DVDs were more robust, we would have gotten more DVDs released. Perhaps its a Rhino decision, not sure.. I can't help but think Dave would be all in.. I mean.. they already have the video for these shows. Perhaps a slow but steady drum beat would help? DVDs please.. DVDs yes.. :D On the bright side.. at least they remembered Jerry's birthday!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

For $65 right? Isnt that steeper than usual for two shows? Im thinking the video will be included.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Dave is all about the DVD's...so, if they aren't included, its above him. I'll still remain optimistic that we'll see another DVD release, of whatever show, eventually.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

It seems like a rush job on the page and lots of info left to be filled in later.Warlox 89 had the nice rolling tray and other schwag as part of the box and just recently sold out. The Buffalo and Philly 1989 Summer releases both have DVDs, the meet up at the movie tonight is one of these shows and probably a special announcement of the release will be part of the movie tonight. Maybe they just haven't told us about the DVDs yet, C'mon add some special surprise bonus DVDs Mr Pinkus. On the other hand with no preorder bonus this will probably be available in a lesser cover on Amazon like the Sunshine Daydream set with "exclusive" dead.net slipcover the only difference.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

You fixed it!!! Thanks!!!
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

GOOSEBUMPS when i think about 7.13.89 "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" "To Lay Me Down" here is comments from Dave's Picks 22 page !!!!! KEEP EM COMING RHINOS, I COMPLAIN A LOT, BUT STILL APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TAKES TO MAKE THESE AVAILABLE May 30, 2017 - 6:50am #1082 mbarilla mbarilla's picture Online Joined: Aug 8 2013 Send PM "Go get one" ~ the Last 5 would love to hear these shows !! http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19680530.html last 5 ~ 11.22.68 ~ https://archive.org/details/gd68-11-22.aud.cotsman.10088.sbeok.shnf/gd68... ~ Ladies and Gentlemen April 1971 compilation ~ lots of graduation parties over the weekend and neighborhoods full of people. Perfect time to cruise around and blast this one !! HAHA one huge party had cars lined up the street for as long as the eye could see got treated to a special serving from the MAN himself ~ PIGPEN !!! "Uncle John's Band -> Turn On Your Lovelight" ~ 4.27.71 , served em up just as PIGPEN was staring his "Pocket Pool" rap on the recording. Really hope to see the May 1971 RSD (anniversary today) release on CD, that one never really gets mentioned. ~ 12.30.86 ~ start of 2nd set Grateful Dead Hour ~ WCBE 90.5 ~ 7.8.81 ~ Tapers Section from yesterday ~ 7.13.89 ~ Tapers Section from yesterday , sweet 1st set and this combo was a real treat for me, certainly not the best but i could only imagine for the newer audience at show , must have floored a lot of people ~ Skull Splitter stuff "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again ; To Lay Me Down" BRING ON THE 1980's RECORDINGS and RELEASES RHINO !!!!! ------------------------------------------------------------- *+*+* ~ TO LAY ME DOWN ~ *+*+* *+*+* ~ LET THE WORLD GO BY ~ *+*+* *+*+* ~ To wait beside you *+*+* ~ my love still sleeping *+*+* ~ to tell sweet lies *+*+* ~ one last time *+*+* ~ and say goodnight
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Haven't spent money for dead in a LONG time - we usually just stream shows. But this is part of my history - I think I need it!
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

There must be something lurking under the surface. As it stands I'm definitely not going to get this one. I may be into The Dead-but its nice to at least try for a bit of discernment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks; have ordered. How about a deluxe set of the '73 Dead/Allmans RFK shows. Include the openers Wet Willie and Doug Sahm too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 7 months

Why aren't the DVDs being released? Especially since you know they already went through the trouble of syncing the audio to the video for at least the first show for the movie event. Please include the DVDs in this box set! It's been 7 years since Crimson White and Indigo and we would love to see another DVD release
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Trying to buy one of these. Added to cart, went to checkout, nothing in cart. Went back thinking maybe it didn't get added and did it again. Now have a "2" in the upper-right on dead net, but nothing shows up, "Cart is Empty" on gratefuldead.warnermusic com. Like dead net isn't comunicatin' with warnermusic. Anyone else having a problem ordering?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It's becoming extremely difficult to find any new hardware that contains a DAC chip that decodes HDCD. This technology is at its end and is subject for debate if it was really any good to begin with. PLEASE STOP USING HDCD and START USING SACD. Regarding the release, this may be the first I don't order. I have a ton of 1989 and don't feel it's necessary for my collection. However, if the DVD's of both nights were included, would be a no-brainer. Miss you Jerry, always; but on your birthday especially. Cheers....
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Daves Picks 23 was made in Mexico. Rhino, really. For what we pay, it should be MADE IN THE USA!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

You lucky people, I only had to pay $10 for P&P but suppose I'll get hit with customs at my end.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

LOVE that this is getting the 24 track mix treatment AND a 192/24 digital download option! EVERY SINGLE RELEASE SHOULD HAVE A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OPTION, period! Looking forward to this!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I don't want the dvd. It would add to the cost and I have no interests in sitting down and watching a video from 89. The Dead music yes but visual in 89 no.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 1 month

For some time now GD releases have been marked as HDCD but no HDCD encoding is actually used, not even peak-extend. The discs will trip the HDCD flag on a HDCD-equipped player (or ripping software like dBpoweramp with HDCD plug-in) but all that means is that a (now old but still very good) Pacific Microsonics Analog-to-Digital Converter was used in the mastering. (You can tell what features are active by playing the discs using foobar2000 with the HDCD plug-in and setting it to display HDCD status.) Playing them through a HDCD player will just reduce the volume by 6 dB. The undecoded files sound the same as decoded files that have been boosted 6 dB to get back the missing volume. It's misleading to advertise these as HDCD discs and that practice should stop but your're not missing anything by not having an HDCD player.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

No mention of a DVD that I can see.? its a 6 cd box set.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....I rarely have the time to sit down and watch a concert, so no skin off my back. I like this release. I like it a lot....
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

All my main players decode HDCD. And you don't need special player to play one. SACD you do unless you have hybrid SACD which has two layers which I suppose most are now for compatibility. Why not HDCD and SACD dual layer disc to cover all modes. Does anyone even make SACDs anymore? I've missed the HDCD mastering on the last few Garcia Live CD releases. Not that the CDs don't sound quite fine played on an Oppo BDP-83SE I have dedicated to my old I guess vintage nowadays stereo system I play this stuff on. (Someone in another thread mentioned folks here probably in their 30s-40s... try 60s-70s!)
user picture

Member for

9 years

This does not appear to be a limited edition numbered set. I'm not stressing about it, but just wonder why? Too much heat about the Cornell box? Thoughts?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

...easily ordered...low overseas shipping...hopefully no import charges!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I thought this was like JFK '89, Crimson, white, indigo with video, but is it just audio? Not to bitch, but...65+shipping, tax for just 6 discs of audio? No, I don't think I'll go for this. If it was Giants, I would, since those were my first shows, but.....none of these big stadium ones are as hot as the first night at Alpine valley was which was one of the best of the year. Think RFK '90, the pre-drums which was released on the RFK '91 as filler is better than the two in '89 also.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I do not see anything about this being limited. Does anyone know if this is a general release? This is a nice surprise from Dave L. who doesn't like the 80's (it is has been reported, but not proven).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

At least it's not limited edition, right? I can wait to decide for when I become the richer deadhead I always imagined myself to be?
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

This is a great release. Summer '89-Spring '90 is the last truly fantastic period for the GD. Every show from Summer '89 is dynamite. Thanks to all involved for releasing these shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Crimson white indigo is on Amazon now for under $29. For viddy and audio. Just saying. For the record, think this is great too, hate when deadheads bitch too much, as I am guilty of sometimes, and am glad it's coming out, especially in mixed multitrack excellence. (Just hope it doesn't mean Giants will never be released!) Maybe the DVD will be a bonus surprise in the package and then won't we all feel greedy.....
user picture

Member for

9 years

An easy purchase :) Great couple of shows here, and Normanized no less! Bummer there's no DVD, but I'm sure some stealth head will film tonight's meet up and post it like they did the Beat Club meet up. All in all a nice Tuesday surprise right before heading to the movies tonight.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I love '89 and attended many shows that year. But I think there's a typo on this page. Shouldn't the dates for the initial RFK box set be June 9 and 10, 1973?
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

If there is no DVD, how much is the digital download?
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

No Jack.. you have that confused with the box that gets announced on August 8th. :D
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

A lot of site traffic, but eventually got it ordered ...... another great release. Keep them coming' !!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/rfk-stadium-1989.html