Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • marye
    That would be a good place to ask. Welcome!
  • mhammond12

In the Dave Picks 28 discussion for more responses.

• deadheadholland
    Default Avatar

I'm a college student taking a music history class, and I have to write a paper on a band and how it has impacted the culture of America. I chose the Grateful Dead because I know that the band played a pivotal role in changing the way people reacted to music. I would love to chat with someone on their thoughts about this topic...

• rrot
    ...Here. ...Lovely. ...78 min. 9 sec. of bliss. XO
  • rrot
    beats hell out of the Stella>Sugar. Good call subbing it in!
  • Helena Buckett
    Default Avatar
    So according to the email about the bonus disc...
    ...we get the big Dark Star>Eyes, but the disc is still chopped up segments of the concert. Sigh. I mean, it's all good, but why not just fill the disc up with the Dark Star>Eyes>Stella>Sugar Mag? I've heard a traders' tape and it sounds just fine. It's not like there's not a bazillion China>Riders out there LOL. Sorry, hasn't been enough bitching going on lately ;^D
  • Helena Buckett
    Default Avatar
    Yup, this should be the Bonus Disc edition...
    ...guess the bonus disc setlist is gonna be a surprise ;)
  • wilfredtjones
    I see RT 4.3 has now been announced. Anyone know, is this the one that will come with a bonus disc for early subscribers? I am psyched about his one - it will get a lot of play from me. Loud!
  • gerhard
    Default Avatar
    "They" can´t release a 3-CD-set "Denver 73" without the unique sequence from 11/21 "Half Step>Playin>El Paso>Playin>Wharf Rat>Playin>Morning Dew" followed by "Truckin>Nobody´s Fault". Can they? Sure they can.p.s.: Hi Helena, just love your comments!
  • Helena Buckett
    Default Avatar
    That fills up the bonus disc right there, pretty much ;)
    Dark Star> Eyes> Stella Blue> Sugar Magnolia fills up a disc, doesn't it ;)
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

for once Pomo1 would say how he really feels! Love the idea of a subscription, but I am a snob of sorts and do not buy each edition. Please, let us know what they will be and I will pronounce my money pluncked. " Where does the time go? "
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I never quetioned the price of the ticket all those years and I spent may $$$ over those 35 years.Another hundred bucks...I'm in. The faster we go the rounder we get!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Help - these delivery prices are too much (luck US get free) Standard (Varies) $180.11 Rush (3 Business Days (Most Countries)) $89.70
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

yes, we're aware of this and working on the problem.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

You know, I was thinking (dangerous, I know!) about buying a Road Trips subscription, then I decided to just relax, mellow out and just listen to the 02/11/70 Uncle John's Band from the 30 Days contest. The lyrics sounded different this time from what I remembered so I wrote 'em down the way I heard 'em. :) Well, the first sales are the hardest sales, don't you worry anymore. But when life looks like Easy Street there is danger at your door. Think this through with me, let me know your mind. Wo-oah, what I want to kno-ow, is are you kind? It's a Buck Chaser's Choice, my friend, better take my advice. You've got all the tapes so now -- sort the fire from the ice! Will you come with me? Won't you come with me? Wo-oah, what I want to kno-ow, "Where'd pitch control go?!" Goddamn, well I declare! Have you seen the like?! The vault is filled with lawyers' balls, their motto is, "Don't Publish Me!" Come hear Uncle John's Band, by the riverside. Come with me or go alone, don't want to take subscriptions home. It's a lame story the CEO told me, it's the only one he know. With the chopped up sets he come, thinkin' with my cheque he go. "Order now, don't wait!" "Bonus Disk? Too late!" Wo-oah, Europe wants to kno-ow, "How much is ship-ping?!" You live in the silver mine that was called "The Beggars' Tomb." You bought all the violins, thinking, "I got all the tunes!" Everybody's choice! You don't hear our voice! Wo-oah what I want to kno-ow, "Where'd the great shows go?" Come see Uncle John's Band, by the riverside. Got some things to talk about, here beside the rising tide. Come see Uncle John's Band, playing to the tide! Come on along or go alone, I'd love to take some movies home! Who-oah, all I want to kno-ow, "Where did the songs go?" Come hear Uncle John's Band, by the riverside. Got some things to talk about, here beside the rising tide. Come hear! Uncle John's Band! Playing to the tide! Come on along or go alone, I'd love to take some music home! Scott
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It's nice the updates to the subscriptions page...will they publish also the dates once they have that finalized? I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion is that we'd like to know the dates BEFORE slapping our money down...
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I will be watching and participating in this topic, seeing how this is a new idea. I think it should be discussed amongst the fans....thanks Marye!♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...is the Big Rock Pow Wow that's been up for a while. At least we know 1/4 of the shows to be issued. But for those of us who have chosen NOT to buy this release, it becomes a $25 payment for the bonus disc and "free" shipping to have the subscription. Not worth it, imo. And what if the other three releases are 88, 93 and 94?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I over-reacted, but I still don't like the ploy of inducing me to purchase a blind item in order to get "previously unreleased music." I think the incentive of waiving shipping fees is a nice and sufficient inducement for a subscription. Don't withhold music. Of course, I could probably get it elsewhere. That's not the point. I would rather support Rhino, but I do not like being taken advantage of. "That path is for, your steps alone."
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I'm pretty sure NONE of the RT selections for the subscription have yet been published. The Big Rock Pow Wow will NOT be the first item to be included in the subscription. That was RT 4.1, and the first selection in the subscription will be RT 4.2.PTB - PLEASE TELL US THE DATES (even in generalities is ok with me : like the first will be from '76, the second from '84, the third will be from '67, etc.) Thanks...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I agree that an indication of the dates would be a fair exchange for having our money up front.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

At least there is 2 months to make a decision. I feel this is very reasonable. This gives plenty of time to get questions answered and to get the bugs worked out of the ordering process. Has there been any issues with ordering domestically?Another question, when will the credit card be charged the full amount? When the order is placed or when February's Road Trips ships? If I remember correctly, my card has not been charged until the order ships.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

In order to put down money for 4 RT's. In general I am only interested in complete shows. I would imagine that they won't be able to give out specific info like that so in that case I'll have to pass on the subscription. "It's got no signs or dividing line and very few rules to guide"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Please read the subscription details on this site. It clearly states: "We're just putting the finishing touches on the next couple of Road Trips, and all we can tell you at this point is that they'll both be complete shows (with plenty of additional material to round out the 3-CD format!). "
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

And it only (sort of) describes 2 of the 4. "It's got no signs or dividing line and very few rules to guide"
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I placed the preorder almost immediately and there appears to be no issues with the charges for me. I like the idea of a RTs subscription for a variety of reasons. I would purchase them seperately anyways so it's like killing 4 birds with one stone....and $95. 13 discs (3x4+1 bonus) of music for $95 comes out to roughly $7.31 per disc. Thats a pretty nice price in my book.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....after missing out on the FW '69 box, I won't make that mistake again. Maybe they can start a box set subscription starting with the re-issue of FW '69 complete recordings with a different bonus disc.....;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

At first I thought the same as everyone else: "why lay down a hundred bucks for 4 releases I may have or just don't want?" THEN tonight I thought, "I shelled out over a hundred bucks to see the two Furthur Chicago shows and didn't know what I'd get...and think of those shows that I went to in 92 (2 at Deer Creek and 1 at Buckeye)- didn't know what I'd get then, but I shelled out the money.....and in all above instances, I was happy!" Maybe the subscription won't look so bad when you think of however many times you have bought tickets to a full run of shows (91 Garden/MSG, the last 2 Chicago shows, Red Rocks with Furthur, or the Alpine return shows).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

That the guys and Gals at Dead.net can fix that postage issue with RTR subscriptions for us overseas peeps ASAP. Kinda wanna give my best friend a real Yuletide gift, but..well, heck..it`ll probably be sorted out on Jan. 30th 2011...;-) I really think that this subscription thingy is a GREAT idea, just get those gremlins fixed, please. Peace and Love Oddleif
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Knowing what I'm going to get. I subscribe to magazines, who knows what to expect? But...one difference there generally is with magazine or newspaper subscriptions, you are buying at a significant discount compared to buying issue-by-issue -- so I'm not concerned about paying in full upfront for the "unknown" (this despite having a couple of magazines go belly-up in recent years in the middle of my subscription). Absent that deep discount, I'm more likely to bite on this one if I know that I'm going to be charged as the volumes are shipped, rather than everything upfront. Since the subscription comes with a no-refund caveat, it's not like I can decide to pull out at some point. Think of it as cell phone contract where you still pay monthly instead of a prepaid "subscription." Am I making sense?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Roughly $7.31 per disc and people are complaining. Go figure. But then again, people were complaining about selections on the 30 days of free music. I repeat, complaining about free music. It goes to show, even if the Road Trips were given away free, there would still be complaining.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Is not complaining, it's called making a choice. "It's got no signs or dividing line and very few rules to guide"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just speaking in generalities. When the music’s over, turn out the lights
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

We're trying to figure out exactly what we're buying and how the process works. As I've mentioned elsewhere, and a previous poster here, we've got a couple of months to figure this thing out. Personally, I'm just looking for a terms and conditions statement to help me with my decision. Since I have bought the entire series so far, the subscription idea is attractive. I just have to decide whether the subscription format is worth it for me to have my money in Rhino's bank account in January waiting on a November release, or in mine to be spent when the November volume is actually issued.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I usually order the entree after perusing the menu. Knowing what concert date(s) will be released in the RT package will have a direct impact on my willingness to participate in the offer. Thanks to Rhino and dead.net for listening and, most importantly, making these recordings available.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

... on the postage charges to the UK being sorted out before I make my order, looking at what it's telling me I'm going to be charged at the moment!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hopefully the next few RT's will contain shows from 1988, 1984 and/or 1986. a few suggestions '84 - 7/1 Pine Knob, 7/13 Greek '86 - Alpine Valley '88 - Alpine Valley, Oxford, Laguna seca, I say Pine Knob '84 for a few reasons, not only my first show, but listening to this on Archive.org and it was a ripping show from start to finish. The jam out of He's Gone is particularly tastey
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

"We're just putting the finishing touches on the next couple of Road Trips, and all we can tell you at this point is that they'll both be complete shows (with plenty of additional material to round out the 3-CD format!)." (from the Road Trips subscription announcement 3rd paragraph) The 'all we can tell you at this point' part gives me some hope that they will be giving us some more info. on show dates eventually, if not soon. I am holding off on ordering for now in hopes to that we'll see some show date announcements before Jan.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Well now us international buyers have the option to take advantage of the subscription offer. US buyers get free postage and the rest of us still have to pay full shipping of $12.00 per Road Trips without even a discount (in fact an increase of 1 cent) Well I suppose we should be grateful..it's better than $180.00. But now we know that we are still second class customers. Thanks a bunch.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Well it seems that they are not going to relent on the shipping charges, but there is some good news. If you order the international version of the RT Subscription, you will find that anything else you order at the same time comes with free shipping! Yes I know it means spending more to save what you should not have had to pay, but if you do have any other wishes from the store and have the money, it is worth bundling them with the Subscription Now Rhino, about that 10% commission..really...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I for one, like this idea of a Road Trips subscription. It's kinda like a "Dead Show of the Every-Couple-of-Months Club". As cousin Eddie would say, "It's the gift that keeps on giving, Clark."
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Is the RT sub billed when you submit the order, or is it billed when the first RT ships? I'm waiting until the last week of January before I submit my order for this since I figure it is billed immediately.
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Howdy all.Mine was billed when I placed the order.
user picture
Default Avatar

You should get a dfree NYE ticket! (from his post) Goddamn, well I declare! Have you seen the like?! The vault is filled with lawyers' balls, their motto is, "Don't Publish Me!"
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Well we now have details on 4.2, and I am all for 1988. Definately an under represented year and this makes me excited about purchasing my subscription in the next week. I noticed in the email I recieved today for the new road trips that they had included the date for the performances to be included on the bonus disc. 12.6.1973. I take this as the next release will be some fall '73 and though well represented with a official releases I dont think I have enough fall '73 till I have it all. Bring on the subscription, Im in.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

when you click on 'Add To Cart'it takes you there you can edit in that screen as needed
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

That's the one that's on Postcards of the Hanging. Nice to see pricing on the individual RT release hasn't gone up. If I email Customer Service does anybody think they'll be able to answer my question about how changes of address will be handled for a change six months into the subscription? happy new year, btw ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

As mentioned above, what a great release for 4.2 - 1988! I'm completely happy with this release, and certainly 1988. Brings me to my point, the email for RT suscrip gives away ( I think ) that the May'11 RT 4.3 will be from Fall '73...this probably will keep from buying the full year subscription. My reason I decided a few weeks ago of course has to do with the time periods. I just feel like they have covered way too many Dicks Picks & ROAD TRIPS (already) from the '60-'70s. I love the 1979 releases we got from RT, but they have just not put out enough 1980s-early '90s with either series. I am "Brent era" music lover, and i'm hoping for more 1980's in particular... I know Jerry had issues for alot of these years, BUT COME ON?!?!?! Where are more releases from '81-85?!??! GREAT YEARS. Would also like a RT this year from 1991 with Hornsby in his prime( some great Jack Straws)...Anyway sorry to ramble, I am very happy with 4.2- 1988!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Happy I didn't get suckered into ordering the subscription by the cheap marketing ploy of withholding music unless you blindly purchase four RTs in advance while they earn interest on your purchase. Kind of reminds of the NFL. Anyway, I would not have purchased the 1988 Meadowlands show. Nothing against those heads that like that era, but it is just not my cup of tea. Plus, I already have a very nice copy of the Cleveland 73 show which apparently will be the bonus. If you don't already have that show, it features a 40-plus minute Dark Star! "The sky was yellow and the sun was blue."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

...of buying into the subscription. That bonus disc won't have much in the way of packaging, history tells me, and good sounding copies of the complete show are pretty available from what I've been told. My copy should be arriving from a friend in a few days - he was surprised that TPTB would use that show to cherry-pick a bonus disc with, said it was good enough for a complete release. There is a shortage of "official" late 80's Dead releases though, happy to see this release...wish there would've been enough quality Dylan/Dead stuff to make a box set.
user picture
Default Avatar

Just looking for info on what next release might be, anyone?? Have really enjoyed 1988 RT pick...they need to KEEP THE 1980's GOING!!!! Please dont hit us with 1973 ( as hinted in bonus disc), we've had PLENTY of releases from all series from 1970's. HERE's HOPING FOR A 1981 , '84, or '85 ROAD TRIPS release in MAY '11!!!!!!?!?!?!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Anyone know when we will get some details around the third issue of road trips for 2011? Year of Show, expected ship date? Looking forward to it. Bought the subscription and have been pleased so far. Cheers!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

the picture u see as my personal image is the new cover of the Denver '73 road trips, the new one, i think it'll be available for the last week of april...maybe sooner...if u go to the Store, in the last RT, the april foolsone , u'll find the new cover...think is sort of an Easter egg!!cheerzz....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

...do we know which night it is, 11/20 or 11/21? Checked the store today (4/2) and all the Road Trips photos are the regular ones, maybe it was some kinda April Fools teaser just for the day. Hopefully it will be announced in the next couple of weeks if the Subscription is supposed to ship in May.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Maybe it'll be a best of the 2 dates....usually when they don't call it (4ex) 11/20/'73 but just Denver '73 it's a compilation....hope it 'll be out soon...can't wait another month!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

The last edit of the Subscription sales page stated something like "the four shows hadn't been finalized but they could say the first two would be complete shows", so I'll bet it'll be the complete night of one show and use the other night to fill out discs like they did the RT 4.2 April Fools show.