• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

I, like some other Heads here, was very surprised when I got this email blast. I figured they'd make us wait years before releasing Part II of Spring '90. I figured Rhino would pad the years between with lack-luster releases of lesser material. After too many Road Trips and Dave's Picks that really should have (IMO) been edited and after Sunshine Daydream which (for me) is primarily only of historical value, I decided to limit myself only to later releases. And here it is: Part II of Spring '90. Amazing! This is my vintage. Everything (IMHO) that happened to the Dead before this tour should be seen as a preparation for this tour. I saw the Dead for the first time in '85 and really came on board with "In the Dark" and "Without a Net" so I suspect that this is the end of the road for me and the Vault. I don't really think there's much left in there that I will be interested in. For me it's '76 or later and that only in multi-track. The only thing down the road that I would consider dropping money on is a box of Dylan & The Dead. Please, the god's that be, open the Dylan-Dead Vault! Or an Alpine Valley box! Or maybe a Red Rocks box -- even if it is in only 2-track.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Grate day started by knowing it was my Friday=HootieHoo!!Peddled to the P.O. before work and picked up my mail which included Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions & Throwin' Stones/Push Comes To Shove '45,both in stellar condition. Got to work and pulled up the site,and 5 minutes later,with a big smile on my face clicked PURCHACE on the new box set. WHEW!! Now off work for 3 1/2 days and starting with a mntn. bike ride this evening and going from there..... Happy days for Deadheads,eh? Have a grate weekend everybody........ :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Been fun following the chats on the DP 10 board the last few months. Love the passion that so many have for the band. Excited for the folks waiting for another release from this tour and later Dead that many fans have been begging for. Not my cup of tea, but seeing it's summer festival season a savings that I can rationalize going to one more with my savings on this release.For those folks that attended these shows it should be a great time bringing back those memories. Have fun with this release. Thanks as always to Dave and the crew for their continued efforts to bring more and more great shows to the light of day and keep up the great posts folks, good, bad, angry, whatever, usually lightens up the day on a regular basis.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Not many who bought the first Spring '90 (myself included) will feel the need to pick this up... but that 3/29 gig should sell like crazy. I suspect this box will fare much like May '77... maybe 6-9 months before it's toast. It'll be interesting to see how Dave et al time the announcement of DaP 11...
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I get that the Rhino folks/TPTB want to sell the physical sets so they aren't stuck with excess product as folks say. Just wish there was a little more transparency with some of these box releases. Digital downloads: Will individual shows be available? Will we have to wait awhile before they are on itunes? If at all. Will 3/29/90 be the only separate show available download? If available as download. Why can't they just lay it all out on the table and save folks some piece of mind.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

You guys are slick! Thanks for the shininess. I hope it doesn't break things.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Another stellar box from one stellar tour. Love this stuff!!! I think Fall 73 box for 2015
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I went back and forth, had the order submit page up for some time before clicking submit, but all of the "Crazy Fingers" of the Spring '90 tour are on this box. Fingers is among, if not my favorite Dead tune (still surprised none have showed up during 30 Days of Dead, yet), and the Brent versions are very nice. So, I did it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I counted them on my hand! Very under-rated, under-played song. Not on THIS tour though......
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Jayburg, you are correct, the Warlocks Box was mixed from multi-track and thus should sound stellar. But it doesn't. Jeff Norman did not mix that one for unknown reasons. I find it harsh to the point of pain. Too bad, because there are some great moments there. I don't know what went wrong, but probably something in the analog-to-digital conversion. It completely lacks the warmth that should be present, given modern technology. There really is no excuse for it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...that Shakedown, Bucket-> Sugaree opener in Atlanta was pretty kind...
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Maybe not really remorse, but kinda bummed the first box cost more per show and was only remixed in 2 track vs TOO remixed in the 24 track knowing that TPTB did not choose the 24 track for the first one knowing it was available. On the other side of the coin, this box has three Crazy Fingers and a couple of Shakedown Streets... Might have to jump in - probably won't see Oxford 88 or RFK 90 for a while after doing the end of the Brent era pretty strong with the Spring 90 releases. Have to admit, been listening to a lot of the Keith years between the Dave's releases, May '77 and the two Winterland boxsets, have neglected listening to the first Spring 90 set. Knowing that I can get the Branford show independently of this boxset, for those that really know this tour, how do these shows compare with the first boxset. (Don't include the Branford show since I can get that separately). Also is there any audio quality differences between downloads and the cd's? I have one player that plays HDCD, but I usually rip it to Apple Lossless to play via Sonos or play the CD in my car... I don't think there is, but wanted to get real life experience... Thanks
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

3.14(!)3.21(dying to hear this one...) 3.25 4.3 & 3.28.90 is underrated & often overlooked b/c of the other 2 Nassau nights... but, this is a killer show... has sorta a west coast show vibe... this should sound EPIC... unlike the 1st one... ...which has great shows, but they're just poorly mixed :~[ 3.14, 3.24, 3.28 & 3.29 have always been my personal 'top 4 of the tour' so, this is a multi-tracked no-brainer ♤ ps... boblopes check you PMs, please...
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Thanks - the disc list font and layout is so irritating to the eyes. Step it up web layout designers, you're almost as consistent as the cd disc name checkers... This weekend is now officially back in the 90's - starting now... Ace - got your PM - totally stoked! Looking forward to it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

After all of the conversation on these boards about wives' reactions to our obsessive tendencies, I have to share that I was on the fence about this release. Actually, I was pretty sure that I would pass and just order 3/29. $250 is a lot of money for two teachers! But at dinner tonight, my wife, who likes the Dead but can't really fathom why I would need to own an ENTIRE TOUR, actually talked me INTO buying it. "It's your thing--you should just suck it up and spend the cash," she said. I am not worthy. I guess I need to stop bitching every time she turns on one of those Real Housewives shows on Bravo. LOL.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Who can stop what must arrive now? Something new is waiting to be born
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

144 page book? It's like a novel. We really don't know how many more Box Sets there will be. How many unreleased multi-track shows are in the Vault? The audio standards for box sets are very high- there's only so much in the Vault that meets the criteria. And will there be another box set of the magnitude of 8 shows? Still hoping one year 5/4 thru 5/9/77 becomes a box set: May Of '77- The Heart Of Gold Band. And 5/8 is treated much like 3/29/90. Spring of 1990 kind of dwarfed the impending announcement of DP11, hopefully this is revealed soon. 2 of the things I'm most looking forward to with this box (besides 3/29): The sound quality and the first set closing sequences of 3/21 and 4/1.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The single biggest dream release and at the very top of my wish list, and now I can't afford it. Particularly painful because I was at the that Omni run of shows and they were all awesome and still riding the Branford energy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Spring 1990, I ended up at The Omni on April 2 after hitching from Detroit to Atlanta down I-75. I was in a really weird place as I had just run away from a nasty little treatment center in Plymouth, MI. Not quite 17 with nowhere to go, I was compelled to seek out the Dead, even though it was the end of the tour. After arriving at The Omni, I found a parking lot out back where folks were camping even though camping on site had been recently banned. Met a really great couple who brought me into the fold, fed me and gave me some floor space in their bus so I could get some sleep. I spent all day hanging with them on the 3rd, most of the afternoon spent in the atrium of the CNN Center. I had finished a beverage and the cup was sitting next to my knee. Damn if the suits going to and from work didn't start instinctively filling my cup with spare change. It was odd since I wasn't soliciting it and I'm not keen on receiving handouts, but hey, I was broke and money is money. Made about $40 in 2 hours. As show time approached, the folks who had "adopted" me and I started looking for tickets. This loser scalper was haggling with my new friends, asking for $50 for one ticket. I offered him $30 in change and he agreed to sell it to me so long as I gave it to the girl. Since these two had shown me such kindness over the past 24 hours, I agreed. She gleefully ran for the gate and her boyfriend and I spent another 30 minutes or so looking for tix to no avail. He decided to bag it and go party in the lot, but told me to keep looking since I had miracled his girlfriend, he was certain I'd get in. Not 10 minutes later, there's this girl standing next to the main gate with a serious stack of tickets in her hand. She had jean shorts and a tie-dye on and looked really clean cut. I simply asked if I could have one and she said "Sure, have a good time". I was in a seat about halfway through Shakedown. This was my last opportunity to see Brent, I ended up back in Michigan shortly after this show. Strangely enough, the last show I'd seen before this was exactly one year ago in Pittsburgh. The boys didn't disappoint. Solid show, definite great moments like Scarlet -> Crazy Fingers, the standard NFA tour closer, Bid You Goodnight encore. The vibe and weather were awesome, the band was playing great and there was no other place I'd rather have been at that moment. Thank you to the ticket lady, the suits who throw away spare change, the couple who befriended me, the strangers stopping strangers just to shake my hand during Scarlet, David Lemieux and Rhino for making these shows available to the masses. Releases like this really make me miss the band, the community and all the great times we shared. Enjoy everyone, Fall '89 through Summer '90 is about as good as it gets for heads born in the early 70's, aka "Touch Heads".
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...was also dusted off and placed on the mantle in Atlanta.....waaay under-represented tune.....the band was jellin' very well that spring...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Let's make this happen,ok?Check your PM in a few...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Congrats on a dream release for you! You'll manage to get it somehow. Keep the faith.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

Le Mobile unleashed and released !!! 24 track analog source. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !!! I remember the first time I put Without A Net in the cassette deck of my "68 Dodge Dart. Also my first time hearing it. I Just sat there for at least a half an hour with a grin on my face before I put her in gear. At the time my car stereo was worth more than my car. Now this Box Set costs more than my car stereo did then. 24 track Grateful Dead mixed down at TRI studios, PRICELESS ! I miss that Dart.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Can I get mine with all the Brent tunes deleted? Ouch!!
user picture

Member for

11 years

read the rollingstone article, says the HD downloads will be available day of box set release. wether or not they will make them available singularly??? would be nice! but at least you know it will all be available (as a whole, so far) day of box set release.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I'm trying to put this in some kind of perspective...I just spent almost exactly this much for a ticket to see Paul McCartney. When in the world did I turn the kind of corner that enables me to justify to myself (let alone to my wife, who doesn't know about this box set yet) plunking down over $500 for a ticket to a concert and an album? Hey, you don't take nothing with you but your soul! Dig! (Sorry, Lennon reference, not Macca, best I could do this morning.) But I do agree with some previous posters, the around $100 boxes are a little easier to swallow. Looking forward to this one, though...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Another over-priced offering from the GD/Rhino! Save your money for something important!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I had thought No Way they do another 90's box, but I guess if they can release 22 Europe shows a once, then these 2 boxes over 2 years isn't so crazy.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

For the record, Hunter Seamons confidently posted on the Internet Archive board about three weeks ago that this was going to be released. In addition to his matrix recordings, he is definitely "in the know".
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Why do I always have an overwhelming urge to go pee after I watch these seaside chats...?!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm glad they went with 24 track this time-prob. should have done it last time also even though I'm not really complaining-the sound on box one is clear and transparent. The brightness can be tamed a little with tone controls on the amp if need be. But this box should have stellar sound as the original recordings were very good to excellent. What will they unleash upon us next year for the anniversary? Price concerns-I tend to try to keep it in perspective-there are 2-3 disc boxes being released by other groups from archives that are priced in excess of $50.00. This is a big box with several extras and a lot of labor to mix the shows so the price to me is reasonable and to me at least it is worth it although I will have to economise to justify the expenditure. I have said before-I don't care for downloads-I'm old school so when I lay out the bread I want a physical object. I'm a sucker for the artwork and essays as well. I collected posters in the day and enjoy them immensely as they hang on my walls in the college dorm listening room I have maintained as my sanctum(Ha).
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hopefully, he and DL can consort on some more Matrix recordings! Does anyone have good examples of shows that have terrible sounding soundboard mixes that are ameliorated by filtering in from Audience (or other) sources?
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

While I gently poked him then, I now graciously acknowledge that my Magic 8 Ball was wrong. Bad juju. Incidentally, the Polar Vortex makes a better summer houseguest. Here in the eastern mountains we're looking at highs of 70 and lows of 50...yum! / kate
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have purchased every box set but I will definitely pass on this one. As many people have already said when this was leaked a few weeks ago by way of the Meet Up at the Movies announcement, “to soon”. I really have only listened to Spring 1990 less than 2 times. Couldn’t really make it through the 2nd listening. Listened to the last box set May 77 near a dozen times and it keeps getting better with every listen. I would have been on board with an early 80’s box but was really hoping for an early 70’s box. As someone has already stated that these are the shows that didn’t make the first box. I might have been more receptive if the offering was paired down to a size similar to the Winterland or Warlocks box but I will definitely purchase the Branford set at my local record store. I really should thank Dave and company for saving me near 300 dollars that I can use for the CSN&Y 74, Garcia release, Allman Brothers release, and the huge box set that I feel will be released next year. My guess it will be on the scale of the Europe 72 box. This new Spring 1990 might take a while to sell out. I think many fans like me who purchase everything are having second thoughts on this offering.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

How about a box set of the Dead playing 'Turn On Your Love Light' with Gregg, Duane & Peter Green????????????
user picture

Member for

15 years

I am looking forward to this one!!! This was such a Grate tour! The stuff with Branford is SICK!!! I am not sure what all the complaining is about, if you don't like it, don't buy it. We are very lucky fans to have such a weath of top notch live releases, not to mention a vast amount of FREE music available. You haters need to move on. Find something that makes you happy and relish it. I LOVE THE GRATEFUL DEAD, and am apprecitive and receptive to anything they throw my way. To the GD family and all the grate people behind the scenes, thank you so much for all that you do, most of us are apprecitive everything you do! Keep up the amazing work!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Like the first box of Spring 1990 , usually they do a video of dead.net employee exhibiting the digipacks and collectibles. Really liked the way each show had a different graphic. The cover art from this box is excellent. I think I'm going to take the plunge today and pull the trigger.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Pretty funny, can't afford, but I skip fast-forward on all Brent tunes... sorry, but true confessions. But he does some nice backing vocals! "All good Can I get mine with all the Brent tunes deleted? Ouch!!"
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Personally, I love all the kvetching on dead. net :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The actual cost per disc of this set is actually a little less then the first Spring '90 box and only a bit more then the May '77 box. I think for what you get, it is a fair price. Sure, I could go for them eliminating some of the bells & whistles to knock the price down some, but it is what it is and some folks love all of that stuff. I like the book but could do without ticket stubs, etc. But ultimately it is ALL about the music and the music here is awesome! Great shows that will sound phenomenal. 24 track mixing is surely the way to go. This tour is the band at the top of their game. Regardless of which era you favor, this is great stuff for all Heads. I have been tracking the comments here and it is running about 80% positive which is really pretty good since it seems that some folks are never happy with any release! I feel for the folks who will not buy because of the price. I also cannot really afford it either, but if I did not jump on this I would only be kicking myself down the road. I bought it the minute it was announced. I will scrimp & sacrifice, but this is a MUST have. I contacted DL yesterday to tell him to keep up the great work and I said that he cannot ever please everybody with a release. He said "Bitching? Who would bitch and why"? I think that answers once and for all the question of whether he reads the posts here! Anyone who is even slightly familiar with this sight know about bitching! Unfortunately I think some live to bitch. Bitch away if you must, but please keep it civil and do not attack anyone just because they do not agree with you. I myself love the whole 30 year span of the band. I think there is grate music to be found in any given year. I think DL does his best to find that music and to release it. I am glad to be a fan of a band that continues to release grate music in copious amounts. After all, don't we always want more? Hopefully a music addiction will not kill us! We sure are lucky. Much more lucky then what fans of other bands get. So jump on this offering now or you will be sorry down the road. I will be eagerly waiting for Sept. 8th. Rock on
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I've read negative stuff about his release. I thought the original Spring 1990 box was great. Can't wait to fill in the blanks for the rest of tour with this one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

Does anyone out there know what eras, years, shows etc...were recorded using a multi track process ? 16 track, 24 track.? A list of shows already released that were from a multi track source ? A lot of us have collected great sounding soundboard recordings. Releases like this box set take the sound quality to another level.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hi everyone,It´s my first post here so a big HI from Sweden to all of you! Was wondering why there´s no option of an bluray only audio in the boxed set, Imagine all 8 concerts on on disc, each concert with out interruptions, it´s so annoying when you come to the drums/Jam and have to change cd. I think the extra cost would be easy to cover in a box like this one, I still ordered it bur feel disappointed that they didn´t make the jump this time. Saw that the the CSNY box is including a bluray disc, same with the division bell box. I´m I the only one here who would enjoy that? :) Let me dream big... Next year the complete 72 Europe tour, now available on bluray disc, no extras only the music, actually all the boxes that are already released will be available as bluray disc... Are anyone from Dead.net on these forums and maybe they can take it for consideration for the 2015 mega super fantastic box of all boxes release next year. PS. Still it´s an privilege to be part of this community and being able to get all this fantastic music..!
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Edit: I just saw 44moose's post from yesterday. For others wondering: Desolation Row is on Postcards and OMSN is on Without a Net. ****************** I'm all over this one. One question though, they say between the two boxes, Dozin', and the Terrapin releases all of Spring tour has been made available. I might be missing something, but where is the Desolation Row and OMSN from 3/24/90? Ultimately it's not a big deal but the completest in me wants to piece this show together in one folder.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Desolation Row is on "Postcards of a Hanging" and OMSN is on "Without a Net". This is a handy sight for finding release information - http://deaddisc.com/
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I hesitated, but finally took the bait on this one. I'm a 68-74 guy. I needed to consider the fact that in the 2 years since Spring 90 pt 1 was released, I still have not listened to probably half of it. I mean probably half of it I haven't even heard even once. Too many short songs with no jams. But what I like I really like. I love that Birdsong with the MIDI and all of the Space jams. I'm starting to listen to the Drums sections and am thinking they are as good as the Space jams. I think all of the PITB and Other One jams are just fantastic! They're just always so short- damn! I made a compilation of the space jams and listen to it often. This new set will have at least 80 more minutes of space. Now if I throw in the Drums and compile everything I can get over 4 hours of drums-space! I wish I could make a compilation of the PITB and Other One jams but don't know how to "cut out" the jams from the vocals. Surely there is software for this but is it difficult to use(?). I also find the kvetching here enjoyable. There's always the inevitable kvetching, followed by the kvetching about the kvetching, followed by the defenses of the original kvetching.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Wow ! This Box Set looks very cool, but for $275.00 might be tough to justify. As for the stand alone of 03/29/90 Nassau Col. might have to be the way to go for me. Looks like the original Meet Up @ The Movies announcement was correct for the new Box. We're looking forward to seeing this next Thursday, and as the pictures of this come on the "Big Screen". I am sure my wife won't be the only one that asks "So, did you order this already ? ... ruff choice, guess I'll wait till next Thursday night to decide.Weve
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

you can take that as a positive or a negative PTB, no matter what, I appreciate your efforts. You put out a lot of great GD. This release, I'll be sitting on the sidelines. I AM gleefully looking forward to DaP11, whatever that might be. Grateful for life, stoltzfus
product sku