• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

Since there isn't a page for this particular box set anymore, anyone around here have an idea when "Winterland June 1977" box set will be back in the store? Thanks!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I doubt that's coming back. It's been sold out for many months. It sold out around the time Winterland 73 sold out and that one is probably not coming back either.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

I'm afraid I don't have time to read 34 pages' worth of comments right about now, so I'm hoping that someone can answer this for me (with apologies if it has already been asked and answered somewhere in this thread): are the Hi-Def files seamless, or are there fade-outs (and fade-ins) between drums and space like there would be on the Apple files? I instinctively want to believe that they would be seamless, as they can't be burned to discs but I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this for me. Thanks in advance!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

I finally talked myself into picking this up the other day. Came today, I am just starting disc 2 of 3-14 and I am already so glad I picked this up. The sound is incredible and the band was killing it. The box is on another level. I am now thinking I wished I had bought the first box when I had the chance. I won't pay $900 and up for it, i guess i will just keep my eyes peeled for a deal. Thanks for the push fellow heads.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Johndrano, You can now get the first box set as a lossless download. You don't get the book and other bits and pieces and you will have to burn your own cds if you want to listen on a cd player but the cost of the ALAC version from dead.net is way cheaper than $900! Here's the link http://www.dead.net/store/1990s/spring-1990-volume-one-box?intcmp=store…
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Was listening to the Nassau 3/28/90 show earlier and when thinking about the cover artwork-- the wolf, raven and gold crown piece-- couldn't help but think Jessica Dessner had Game of Thrones on her mind. Or... maybe I just do!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 4 months

I really wish these downloads were available piecemeal, show by show. I would definitely pick up each show individually over time, but dropping $200 all at once can be difficult for some people. Love that the FLACs are in HD though...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I am not sure if i get this,people are saying that the recordings are not that great for one reason or another but what it comes down to is these shows will put you to sleep. The overall energy is almost invisible 7 minute Halfstep,8 minute playin's, 17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL. A 8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove or a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts. How is this for an idea lets forget the '90's forever plus there was a million tapers if you want that MIDI bullshit. Why not jump to some shows worth listening to like march of '73,fall of '73 with horns,6/22,6/23,6/27/74,10/15,11/1,11/6/77 or 4/12,5/7/78 or 2/17/79,1/5/79 i could keep going but one thing is for damn sure NO MORE'90's please. Am i the only person that despise's that freaking midi-sound?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Ya know, I'm not the biggest 80s or 90s fan either. But I gotta say the 3/21/90 show kinda blows me away. There is a ton of energy here and little MIDI. I saw 30 or so shows in the 80s and none of them were as good as this one. Maybe it's an acquired taste. Give it a few spins and see if you don't warm up to it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

A reply to the poster from 4/30. Besides being a very poorly written post and wandering to the point where I don't know exactly what they were trying to say other than they don't like GD after 1979.. I simply disagree. I love '67 - 74 too, but if you don't like later day sound, no one is holding a gun to your head to get this, please have some manners and show some respect. There's plenty of energy in the shows in this box. I am half-way through a second listen of this whole tour and added in Formerly the Warlocks and Nightfall of Diamonds for good measure. The song selections, recordings, performances and mix are peak, later year GD. I especially like the song selections and performances contained in this box. I am happy to disagree with the rant two posts prior to this and dig the mix on Spring '90 TOO. My experience is more in line with One-Man's. Enjoy.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Just received my box... its awesome. Used my cancelled FTW monies..looks like some cold rain and snow will start here soon ..peace
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Have fun on tour! Good choice,enjoy!:)
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I've been a loyal fan since '76. Had tons of tapes, now CDs, bought all the Dicks, Daves, and box releases. This box, in my opinion, has the finest quality live Dead recordings I have ever heard. You really feel like you're on stage with them. Well done guys!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Piggybacking on @rdrewr's comment, this box set will in the end prove to be money far, far better spent than getting the Fare Thee Well set. The sound quality/mix is magnificent. And as much as I enjoyed watching & listening to the Chicago shows they do not in any way have the repeat listening value that this does. Also, I love me some Trey Anastasio -- I do -- but Jerry is here and he plays pretty damn well on these dates, with a band that is tight with him and vice-versa. It's really no comparison.
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Such good $$ spent here. Mix clear and in my face (yep, very loud, haha) Blessed that one left for me. rrot.. your right. Peace to all. Jerry, happy Bday my friend, miss you tons :((
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm listening to a few of these gems for the last week, 3/14, 3/21, 4/1, WOW these have awesome sound. And the band is ON every night, almost, on this tour. I can't believe this isn't sold out. Jeez, this is some of the hottest later dead around! Thanks to those who made these great recordings, and mixes. I am truly grateful! nitecat
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm also surprised this hasn't sold out yet. The quality of the recordings and performances are top notch. I revisit this release more than any other. The unconditional generosity by many people here to gift me this treasure trove makes it all that much more special for me. THANK YOU!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Maybe not sold out because they have made an awesome hi-res download version available ... it is what I bought.

Member for

9 years 11 months

It's really a great sounding box and the shows are very good. Very glad I bought it after all
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I bought it unopened on ebay, and the tray that holds the book was damaged (smashed in and torn where it says Spring 1990) when Rhino put the set together. Not the end of the world, the music still sounds great, but I'm now looking for a replacement of that piece. If anybody wants to sell just the box, please PM me. I don't even need the extras or the book..really just need the tray. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

If you haven't got this by now and want it.. There's less than 100 left, bet it disappears just about the time the first tax refunds start to appear.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

Incredible performances. Something about these 1990 shows really let your mind melt into the music. They're so polished and smooth sounding. There's so many aspects to attribute to the sound here and it's absolutely mind blowing. Just to name one minor piece, I know some people dislike the use of Jerry's MIDI equipped guitar, but I personally think it adds something truly unique to the performances. Maybe even a touch of surprise at times. The goodies that come in the boxed set are great as well. Definitely a must for Dead enthusiasts.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

I just ordered this box set. I have volume 1. Love it. I guess I didn't realize that there was a volume 2 until a few days ago. I don't come here a lot. Looking forward to Xmas. For that price, it's an Xmas present to me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I'm down to only two 30 trips to listen with virgin ears (72 & 74) and saw this box was 15% off yesterday. As my wife likes to tell me, "It was on sale, I just saved you money!" We'll see if this man smarter.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

This man smarter! The music is great! You will be so happy!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

Quality is first rate. Sound and workmanship of the cases, printing on the CD's All First rate. I wish though that iTunes didn't make it so hard to gulp these down onto the computer. Inconsistent album titles. Inconsistent dics numbers. Of all the CD's it took longer to sort them out in iTunes than it too to rip them. Grrr. I understand that this is Apple/iTunes fault and not the CDs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I find it incredible that this box is not sold out. The sound is first rate and Jerry's playing and vocals are strong. While some have complained about the MIDI, there were only two or three times it didn't work for me. In fact, I found it a nice change in LLR which is always a buzz kill for me. Touch is bouncy, Man Smart very good (although the attempt for audience interaction doesn't cut it) and Althea one for the ages. Have fun!
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
user picture

Member for

8 years

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.

Member for

16 years 10 months

purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
user picture

Member for

11 years

Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
product sku