• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

I wish I had enough hair to bring it back in style! Bring on Dave's Picks 11!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I hear you Kate. It's a difficult pinnacle to reach for me, but it happens. The last time, I had Fuego, Los Lobos and Ween to fall back on. But that phase passes and I'm back on the bus at the next stop. Thank God that route winds around on a consistent basis. I have a lifetime pass!! As far as the mullet topic....I had one as a teenager in the early '80's. Not to proud of those old pics my mom still has. Thankfully, she doesn't Facebook.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

what a great thing to do. Good work, whoever started the process. (I didn't slog through all the posts to find out.) Enjoy, Spacebrother!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Too much… I'll vote with dollars for a lower costing yearly box without a limited amount available. Maybe pick up the downloads down the road- kinda feels good to not play into the whole limited garbage. I hope more heads do the same and a message is sent.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

@deadegad I think most of us will be rolling change this time next year. Dave has stated that there is some nice stuff on the way for 2015. I'm looking forward to it all. I'll answer your questions and try not to go overboard. 1.I would love a really good 70's Tour box with DVD's. Maybe a really cool print for the 50 year Aniv. Nothing that would cost 650 bucks. Maybe a Dave's Picks surprise Bonus CD, or extra release. I'm a sucker fo a Bonus CD. Like many others, the fake tickets and trinkets is not necessary for a nice release. Lots of multi track single show releases would be ideal. I'm sure Dave will not disappoint us. 2.The next box? It's really a roll of the dice. I would never have expected another Spring 90 Box so soon, maybe in 4-5 years. Maybe Fall 81 Europe Tour. Part of the magic is never knowing whats coming around the corner. Anyone think maybe Dave is punishing us because someone leaked DP10? Peace Deadheads
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

...thought about it, a bit. Decided.......Yes, of course, what was I thinking?! I'm in Spacebrother, hbob!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Haha, touche! Or should I say, toupee?
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I can't believe you guys are all serious about the spacebro charity. Sheesh. I thought surely the posts that initiated it were sarcastic. Sorry, it doesn't give me "good vibes". It seems kind of creepy to me. It does remind me of 80's dead- and the "miracle seekers". Surely there are hundreds, if not thousands, of others out there who would also love the box but "can't afford it". What about them? Sorry, if everyone feels good about it - have at it. It's all good. I'm just a cynical old grouch.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Not to change the subject but I just picked this up and it looks like they are down to 6 left. (shopping cart thing)
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

All the free box charity reminds me of the phony we are the world campaign…. donate some money to make you feel better for having more food than others, or lashing out at someone who always has different opinions, and can't afford a box set... In the spirit can we get a Dave's pick '85? I think thats when we are the world dropped- not sure though… oh well- just another sarcastic gen x deadhead here...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have a proposition for all of us. But first. --to Palmer: I sympathize. Gifts of this sort are always implicated in economies of gift-exchange that might have implications and presuppositions that we are generally unaware of and that we might not support. Gift--in German and Greek--also means poison. No gift without poisoning. However, I think that attempting an economic relationship different than the individualist capitalistic one we generally live in... well, I think that it's worth it. I would also argue that the gesture doesn't seem to fit easily into structures of charity that can end up marginalizing the poor and being an excuse for less sweeping governmental reform and redistribution. Now the proposal. Maybe we could try to centralize and regularize this sort of operation. Perhaps Rhino would even be interested if we could show it works (which it might not). This is what I'm thinking--but I'm open to many suggestions as I'm making this up off the top of my head--... Someone who has been around dead.net a while and who we trust can pool donations from people who are able to give donations once a set over 100 dollars is released. Then people who have been around and who we trust and who don't have the means can have all the gathered money redistributed. If the money is two little for some to be able to afford, we can ask some of the donees if they can take a little less for the people at the bottom economically. For something like this to work, I imagine a few of us would want to form a regular (but not necessarily exclusive) group. That way we could gather more trust and knowledge about each other. Thoughts???
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

To a great DEADHEAD! Have a great WEEKEND!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks 44Moose. By gong through the 4 albums you listed, I was able to put together the complete set list for the one show that was missing. It fit perfectly onto 2 cds. Now I will have the complete tour come Sept. I could not afford the complete E72 box, but at least I will now have the second longest tour that has been released in its entirety.Rock on
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...I averaged a high C low B in business back in the day, but Luke's presentation is a valid one. I'm still on the fence on this purchase. Spacebrother didn't ask for this...it sorta came out of nowhere. (Kinda like a sweet China Doll), but still, it materialized. Kind Heads are still around. I can't really afford it either. Food prices are outrageous as it is. As were beers in the lot back then. Sierra Nevada's anyone? But it's tantalizing. (sigh). Logistics say it's possible, but for someone to tackle this project, they will most likely want to be paid. And therein lies another hurdle. Bands of Brothers (and Sisters) must unite for this to happen, and God willing, it may just bubble to the surface...nice post...
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Hey I am also one of Jerry's kids. I would love to have gotten the Europe 72 box through the kindness of strangers, but since I could not afford it I had to simply miss out. I think it's admirable that people are willing to help someone out. Even if we are helping a guy out that calls a bunch of people on these threads "dicks". But perhaps we really should rethink our priorities. Let's pool together the $300 or so already raised, & I will gladly add a 20 to it and donate it to a real cause like a food bank or whatnot. Then I will gladly burn 1 of the shows on 3 discs for spacebro. I will also mail it out at my expense. Another 7 guys can each burn a show for him and then we have helped out a real charity and helped out a true diehard late era GD fan. Everybody wins
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I sure hope the 73 box is not going out of print; it's just too good to not be available anymore. Bobaloo, did you say you ordered this recently? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm still looking for suggestions on which two Europe 72 shows to buy. WharfratTX, you're right about the close your eyes and pick one thing...it's all really good. But the suggestions have been great so far, and very entertaining. It's a tough choice to make knowing that a purchase from this tour next year is unlikely for me with all the possible official releases coming. Rednow, you mention some really hot shows from the Midwest and an Alpine 89 DVD box would be great. I'd like to add that I really don't think there's very many "80s haters" on these boards, maybe a few. But just because some of us prefer the earlier stuff doesn't mean we don't like the 80s stuff too. Not trying to put you down for your comment, it's just that a few people seem to be using that term lately and it doesn't seem to be an accurate one. And yeah, I had a mullet at various times, but like you, I find myself follically challenged these days.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Reijo, you've got me thinking about the Franken and Davis skits about Jerry's kids, nicely done. I'm also picturing Al saying, "Just make out that check to me, Al Franken." Actually, you seem to have come up with the best plan yet to help a brother out. None of us knows how much money anyone else on these boards has. Some people who don't have much may have just planned ahead and scrimped and saved. I love the idea of helping someone who is truly in need and then burning a disc or two for someone who can't afford the box. That's a bandwagon I could jump on. PalmerEldritch, I totally get your point. It doesn't even seem all that cynical to me, although maybe I'm equally as cynical as you. Is this guy really the most in need out there, or just the loudest? Antonjo, for example, posted a few pages back that he's not sure he can spend the money for this release. He's mentioned many times that he'd like to see more Brent era releases but he's always done it in a positive way without putting down other eras or calling people names--but no one's starting up a fund for him (not that he asking for it, of course, and neither is Spacebrother for that matter). Having said all that, I do think it's great that so many are willing to help out a fellow head. But I think Reijo's plan is the best way to go.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If I can have the new Jerry. It's so close I can taste it. C'mon let's do it. I want to open my mailbox and take the '78 Jerry from the packaging and put it in. If no one wants to trade, fine.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

You too, brother. Have a good one!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...too bad the powers that be didn't price this box at $199.95. Just like gas stations that price their fuel at $3.79/10, a drop of a single digit, whether it be a dollar, or a cent, makes the general public think they are saving a lot more than they really are....just me thinking out loud....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Have you decided about what you are getting for E72? I agree with the love for 5/10/72. An old classical music venue, I think it is the best sounding show in the box. You could do a lot worse than getting 5/10 and 5/11. Something like 7 hours of music with very different set lists, and including great TOO and Dark Star jams. Fun to have back to back shows as well. As someone who doesn't post very often I hesitate to do this, but... Spacebro has been down this road. In August 2012 he posted that he couldn't afford the first Spring 90 box. Later that day a 'friend' got it for him. I don't know Spacebro, and have no knowledge of his circumstances. I have only the best wishes for him, and I hope he manages to get this box. But as for me, when it comes to charity, I will give to JDRF or Make a Wish.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I just missed out on the first 2 jerry's and I'm stoked for this release from the same time period. sorry if I seem like an excited puppy. The Bay area release is like $7 mln. The Warner clocking in slightly less at $4.5 mln. Someone start me a fund!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The May 77 Box page declares that downloads will only be available as a complete set. There is no such statement on this page.I expect that on release date, the downloads will be available both as a complete set w/some sort of pdf swag and as individual shows. Albany, I'm a wantin' you! I looked at the S90pt1 Box page earlier today and there was a statement that those shows would never be released on CD again. There is no statement about downloads. I would not be surprised if the previously released S90 shows (Box 1, 3/15, and maybe even a complete 3/24) are also offered. After a few drinks, I might even think the Box1 show downloads might be new masters from the 24-track sources! I did see the Albany shows, and I have longed wished that Dozin' (and Ladies And Gentlemen, too) had been redone as a whole-show box (you know, those 3-4 show/$100 boxes GDM USED TO do). I am hoping that I will soon be purchasing the requisite FLACs to make it happen!
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I own 4 of the Europe 72's. They are all special. My 3 picks are 4/8, the second show of the tour that flat out rocks. 5/10 is a 4 disc incredibly warm sounding gig. Lastly 5/26 another long monster gig that was the last night of the tour. I'd be willing to dupe one of these for you.

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hey hey. Actually I did not order the winterland 73 box. I'm reading there are only a few left so it's running through my mind right now. I did get a DP, I think 19 from 73. The reason of not getting the box is just that, I've got so many cd's. For me it's like too many! Maybe 6000 cd's. So buying big sets is just something I'm trying to chill on. I'm 54 and have been buying music since the 60's and in a nutshell, one room of my home is a music store. I try and weed out stuff I don't or won't listen too, but I only end up replacing 50% of the gained space with more music. I'm sure it's an OCD thing. Oh and then there's the vinyl. So rdevil, I haven't pulled the trigger. As a relief I have been on the archieves and have heard and put a lot of 73 shows on my pod. I love it! Hey and as far as the Bro box goes, I think it just happened. Angry Jack Straw had written down his idea and a bunch of folks just jumped in is my take. I think it's very cool. And I think it's a real good idea if people want to take the idea and run farther with it too. In my old brain, I believe people helping each other out is what makes exsistance into living. I think it would be a grand thing to build a network of getting music to folks that are in a tough spot. Legally I will add. But that's just me. My mantra this year is, "In 1000 years from now, none of this will matter, but today you gotta make it count." All the Best to you Good People.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I agree with all the criticism of my proposal. Mainly Reijo's that it is not a priority, not even close to being close to a priority in the scheme of things. As to Reijo (or rdevil's? ...I can't remember), is the idea to start a trading tree? The ethical dilemma is tricky: 1) it's okay My guess is that Rhino engages in the capitalist mode of increasing profit in order to grow and survive, and ultimately, increase more profit. In that case, whatever percentage of their profit they donate (I'd be interested to know) would probably pale in comparison to the percentage of profit that is given back to charities were the company attempt to survive in more creative and less exploitative ways (when profit becomes its own end, it cannot be exploitative). 2) it's not okay practical, ethical, political reasons? If we can decide that it's ethical, i say lets do it. My guess is that enough people want the physical Digipaks and CDs (I, for one do), that people will buy it in similar numbers. A person's ability to afford would then have to, in good faith, be determined by whether or not they can afford the download option. (We would hopefully be able to Rhino more up front about this.) It'd be nice if we could actually talk about this with Rhino: how many people download, how many want the packaging? Just thoughts
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

First night Paris- 5/3/72- Funky! Last night, London- 5/26/72- Epic Runner up (3rd) - First nt, Copenhagen- 4/14/72 Favorites of mine, and incidentally ones that have also polled highly for that tour in online forums.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I started the thread. What concerns me is that once the offer was made, none of us have heard a word back about how to donate despite multiple inquiries.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

bnewton, thanks for the input; I'm going to place my order Sunday night and will post what I choose here. Some people may not care but that's fine, no one is required to read everything here. I'm probably getting 5-4 but my second choice seems to change with each suggestion that gets posted here. Reijo, 4-8 is the only show I have (other than Rockin the Rein and Hundred Years Hall) and you're right, it is special to say the least. Bobaloo, I'd love to hear what you think of DP19. That one is right up there in my book with the Winterland box. I know you're relatively new to the Dead's music--it took me a couple years of tape trading to really discover and love pre-hiatus GD and the second set from OK Fairgrounds was a big factor in that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Perhaps he's shy. I mean, after all, receiving a gift of this sort without asking can be a confusing experience. I sure would have complex emotions of extreme gratitude and guilt. Especially since it's become such a topic.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

not 5/10/72?
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Not sure yet, but that one has been mentioned quite a bit. The Dark Star from 5-4 is what intrigues me, at least one choice will have to have a Dark Star. I have to admit that the cover art for 5-10 makes me want to hear that Bertha.My wife would be laughing hard if she were to read this thread. She often comments about how I have to look at every option before making a major purchase (if $60+ is considered a major purchase).
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Is this what you mean? The post by space in August of 2012. Fricken Sweet! Being that initially when I first got news of this release today, I was kind of bummed at the limited status of this, the cost of this release and my current limited fundages, and the prospect of missing out on another FW '69 quality and historically important run of shows. That is until a friend and true brother-from-another-mutha has ordered an extra copy of this set for me! Sweeeet! Especially so because 4/2/90 was such a great show, and I was there! Even though I am getting this box set, I wish tptb would reconsider the limitations of 9000 units and that these shows won't be available individually. I also believe they would easily sell more than twice the 9000 units number of these particular shows.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hello dead nation This is a quarterly ritually we all enjoy. Guessing next release, hoping for a tour or a show. In reality, we probably all have more than well ever be able to listen to. But like the sports fanatic, music guru, we crave more, and it's a healthy way to stay in the game. Statistics, clues, And general community is the takeaway. Some generous folks have offered to donate $$ to support a guy. That is awesome. I am encouraged by spirit of the folks on line, that may simply look to this board as a source of connection. I don't post often at all, but love the build up and anticipation we all get, like Christmas morning to the next release. It's fun, and allows some great dialogue. Thanks to the a Dead mgmt Dave and the folks that fill a nice void.... As Yogi Berra said Deja Vu all over again, because I hope as the shows get released these boards will allow us to express opinions on music and lifestyle that has clearly defined us in our adult lives, and do it again. God bless our wives. Peace, and Enjoy every sandwich. 44Moose
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Yeah, well, that revelation kinda rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I'll be helping Spacebrother out this time around.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

The 4/8 Wembly show is awesome... If you like Caution, then that would be a great pick. The Caution is incredible.Also, 4/26 - Hundred Year Hall - Nobody mentions it because it was a mass release many years ago but that show is a top ten show all time for me. My favorite GDTRFB ever. The way Jerry's guitar breaks in on that version raises the hair on the back of my neck. The full show version of that show that is in the box has the full intro leading up to GDTRFB. Part of that intro is edited out for some reason on the mass release. That's a desert Island show for me...
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Oh yeah... A few people mentioned 5/10 as a favorite. I agree... That's in my top 3 for that tour. All around great show.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

... Terrapin Limited finally sells out. Unbelievable! As someone else reported, the Winterland '73 box is almost a goner as well... same with some of the Road Trips (including the excellent Big Rock Pow Wow). They're dropping like flies, just in time for the 2015 deluge.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

"Can you afford it? Big deal, we are all on the internet, have a credit card, pay for it over time." Some people don't have credit cards but use bank cards and you have to have the funds immediately available to place the order. This plays into why some people might not be able to afford it right now.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

A stunner with a beautiful and melodic Other One.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I was just about to buy Terrapin 90 show today and now he's gone. Oh well. For those on the fence for Winterland 73' ,, get it now !! A must have. And dead.net might even include the bonus disc. when I ordered Winterland 77' it was surprisingly included although it is not a big deal since May 77' came out and has that portion covered. Europe 72' is hard to choose. I always picked shows that did not have a bulk of songs that were released on other formats. I own Europe 72' vol. 1 + (bonus material) and Vol. 2, Hundred Year Hall, Rockin Rhein, and Steppin Out. So that eliminated some good candidates for me basically all the England shows. Because I didn't want to pay for pieces or portions I already had. The two Dutch shows, Dave mentioned could have been a box if not for the entire tour release. I think both are 4 discs and excellent. If you want a Jam almost like no other go after 4-16-72. Donna was absent from this show, I love Donna, but some others are not too fond. 4-17-72 : Dark Star > Sugar Mag is worth the price of admission. Continues into Caution. 5-4-72 2nd night in Paris Dark Star beast And last but not least is 5-25-72, A fierce Playin in the Band. And no tracks represented on any other release, plus a Garcia triple threat with UJB > Wharf Rat > Dark Star.. I think I own 4-11 Newcastle 5-4 Paris May 10-11 May 18 Munich and May 25 It's a hard choice to just pick 2. Good luck !!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I agree with Shakespeare. I have been picking my way through the complete Europe '72 and 4/11/72 stands out to me as being a very tight show. Almost surreal in that risks are taken in the way the band plays yet there aren't many flubs and the guys all end up back in the same place. The whole show is fantastic but for me starting with Playing through the end is the best. Cheers.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I've always been fond of this German show. A great performance and a great set list. Both 4-17 and 5-18 are really good as well.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Rijo29 that is an admirable and worthy proposal which I would be happy to help with. Thanks for your input CocnutPhil. Some here are much better at reading the Tea Leaves and predicting what will come next. For the 50th Anniversary, your ideas are sound. An extra Dave's W/Extra bonus disc would be real treat. There are a lot in the 'know' in these parts about what is in the vault, but, I wonder if some shows have been recovered and kept secret. We heard about that great batch awhile back. With that in mind, some Primal Dead would be a perfect fit for the 50th although perhaps not enough for a box. If the Radio City/Warfield tapes were recovered that would, likewise, be a good fit for the 50th. Wall of Sound box? This could be more all consuming than who was in Dealy Plaza? GHW Bush! OMG! I would love to see an MSG NYC Fall 1979 box and have expounded and pontificated on that one frequently. Another poster suggested an Alaska 1980 "Land of the Midnight Sun" Box which is another good idea. Europe 1981 was suggested. There are some nice clips from Germany's "RockPalast" tv show from that tour on youtube.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Long overdue for Primal Dead. Historic Dead and Vintage Dead would make a great reissue. You know the two LPs released on the Sunflower label. Not sure if any of that material made it on Birth of the Dead or elsewhere.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

deadegad - that was me :) I've been keeping a low profile in this thread - summer, busy, outside, no smartphone, etc. But whenever someone mentions that Alaska Box idea I have to chime in, 'cause I want TPTB to give me royalties when (WHEN) they produce it. Heh. While I'm here: No complaints at all about S90-2, and I love the S90 releases I have (Terrapin Limited, Dozin... ) but I'm not going to get it. I'm thrilled for those who are excited about this box! If money were no issue I would buy it, natch. I'm with those who don't want all the gee-gaws included, but again, not a complaint, just my reasoning. As somone else said, too many family obligations. I'm very happy they are releasing the Branford show (and I bet there was a lot of legal work on that one) and I'm getting that for sure. Also happy with the apparent trend toward downloads as an option (for those who want them). Finally, I don't get what is wrong with the fact that Spacebro shared his lack of funds in 2012, and in the same post told us that a friend had already helped him out. He wasn't asking for help back then, so why does it change things now? Sounds to me like he just doesn't have much money, period. And he ponies up for the DaP sub, possibly at greater relative cost that it is to others here. That thought line gives me more empathy with his frustration with the 70's bent of the DaP. (Sorry to speak for you Space, correct me if needed) Okay, back to summer activities and occasional lurking. Cheers
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

AJS - no worries, I know :0 In fact, thanks for sharing that 2012 post, which showed how innocuous Space's post really was. And I should have also mentioned how cool iI thought it was that you started this off in the first place. Deadegad, I'd be all over either a Fall 79 or Europe 81 Box! EDIT - unless it's 8 shows and 240 bucks.
product sku