• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Member for

9 years 11 months

This disc is turning into a favorite. Being that I have DP 23 from 72 and SSDD, bookending those with the movie soundtrack in 74, this show from 1973 shows me a clear path between the other two dates.Of course things get really going on disc two with Playin. This is the tune that got me onboard so I really listen sharply to any version on the jam in it. I really enjoy the openness that happens here and then the rest of the disc continues in a like vein. Disc 3 stays strong for me as well. On some of my picks, disc 3 can get a little slow. Long stage sets will do that, but on this show it keeps the energy up and strong. Overall I really am glad I bought this DP to fill in some holes I had in my DP collection. I find myself reaching for it more and more. This and #29 from 77 are getting lots of spins.0
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

First, this new Spribg set looks nice. I'm excited because I love it all. As for the 73 box, this is great and I highly recommend it. This and the 77 Winterland sets have been in and out of stock a few times and have been restocked. But this process is slow. I had to wait on the 73 set the last time and even called the customer service number who said it would be back but no defined time frame. So, anyone worried about missing out may want to check with them. Next topic, is around next years dream set. I love 1974 wall of sound era shows. First, what if they released that entire WOS tour? Broke it up into 4 boxsets or something or all at once? Any one else think that's rad? Minus the already released shows of course from Dave's or Dicks picks. The box could have the picture that came out in the old mailer showing the setup.....pipe dream I know, but I would buy it. Then the Europe 72, Spring 90, WOS 74 would be complete. Also, would I would love a 1977 box covering the gaps we currently have to complete this epic tour as well.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Speaking personally, I've been quite heartened by the spontaneous kindness of people helping spacebro get a copy of this set. The second-guessing and laundry list of "more worthy" recipients, not so much. There is always going to be somebody "more worthy" by somebody's lights, but in my opinion it's kind of rotten to throw disapproval on someone else's generous impulse because you'd rather people gave to someone else. If you want to give money to spacebro's box set, great. If you want to give to the food bank, also great. If you want to sit the whole thing out, ditto. We all make our own choices here, and that's as it should be. Speaking as the forum moderator, I mention in passing that giving away illegal copies of the box set involves being generous with what does not belong to you. Obviously I cannot come to your house and keep you from making as many copies of whatever you like as suits your fancy, whatever the legal status, but proclaiming your intention of doing so in the house of the people who are making the music available -- please don't. Thank you. Mod hat off. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion. As to setting up something more formal in the way of a charitable fund, my instinct is that it would be best to have you guys brainstorm it and set it up; I'm pretty sure TPTB would not want to be involved in administering other people's money on something like that even it it were possible (and hey, I am not a lawyer etc.). But if you guys can put it together and make it work (and figure out how to deal with the inevitable conflicts), I think a lot of folks would be into it.
user picture

Member for

16 years

I'm happy for those that jumped on this box and I enjoy the enthusiasm. I opt'd for the Brandford show and am very happy they made it available as a one off. That show alone will keep me busy for awhile. We are close to the unveiling of DaP 11 and seems we are leaning towards 11/17/72 and I would definitely scoop that up. It's hard to beat anything from 72. If one were to select 2 or 3 shows from the Europe '72 box, pull a date from a hat at random. I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint. I'm curious about the Bickershaw Fest, 5/7/72, Billy's birthday. I predicted this would be one of the best but haven't seen it mentioned by you guys. Perhaps being outdoors the sound is different? Any feedback on this one? 50 years of Dead! Please bring us 1967. It's long overdue. While at the same time, this sunny summer weather has got me in the mood for early eighties. I think DaP 8 was flawless and continues to draw me in. I think a show from 81-85 would do me some good. What do you guys think?

Member for

16 years 10 months

Rdevil, Thanks a bunch for the shoutout. I couldn't accept a charity box in good conscience even if it were offered, because I've got a decent-paying job and others are likely more in need than me. It just so happens I've got some priority expenses just 'round the corner and I've shelled out for some other hobbies recently (comic book art and a 5th row Steely Dan ticket). So can I really justify another $250 on GD given the bank of releases I've already got. There's obviously going to be must-haves every year, but, wow, does this become a lifetime budget expense? I skipped the '77 box, but still danced around ordering it like a moth to flame. Because everything's limited now (not a complaint, just a business reality), the option of picking up something later, as in the Dick's days, no longer exists. Spring 90 was the last peak of my show-going glory years, when all my core friends were still going faithfully and as a group, etc. And first night Landover was a fine show. It was the first show for one among us, and she came in wanting "Crazy Fingers." I was like, great, though, um, they don't play that too often, but who knows, MAYBE they will.... And then the Crazy Fingers > Playin to open 2nd set. (The song was pretty much a staple after that.) Of course, this same person, being both female & feminist, was less thrilled with "Never Trust a Woman"...! Another rare tune that reappeared in force for Spring '90. Mr. Wilfred, there's only one Dave's I don't have (vol. 1)--but, again, thanks for the thought. As for the 'Bro, just Google Facebook donations, looks pretty easy to set a giving tree up. (Though not everyone's on Facebook.) Or someone could volunteer to shell out and coordinate the donations via PM. I don't see the GD site taking the lead on that, though I shouldn't dismiss the notion either. Spring '90 glee notwithstanding, still hoping for a mid-80's Dave's.... Whitey, I'll raise a toast to Rhino release of the Vintage/Historic stuff!, or a complete show release of the Danish Center (whatever its true date is, Feb or 3/12/66), for which various bits have trickled out on So Many Roads, Rare Cuts, and Taper's section. If vault tapes existed for 5-05-67, that would be something. Lastly, I'm happy to see the Fox back in the neighborhood....
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Thanks antonjo! Rhino was in the forefront of issuing obscure or out of print garage and 60's band material in the 80's and 90's. The Historic/Vintage Dead would be right up their alley. Despite my occasional pre-release gripes regarding the fiscal part of some of these releases, we all know they are doing a bang up job with the Dead stuff.

Member for

9 years 11 months

My dumb slow ass did it once more. I grabbed the credit card and said, OK I'll get the winterland 73 box having just enjoyed the heck out of DP#19. SOLD OUT/ I had to laugh at myself! I let it happen with Winterland 77 and now 73. Im thinking by just a couple hours this time. The last recommendation came in, and I decided to do it!Serves me absolutely right thou friends, I gotta say, I did it to myself. Hesitate and it can happen. Alright so all thats left to do is eat a BIG order of Crow! Um Waiter!!!! Hoping Germany sees the Cup win. Be Well Folks and Enjoy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

Check Amazon. Often they have the same material as dead.net, sometimes for a few dollars less. I almost pulled the trigger on Winterland 73 last week (at Amazon for $88) but read a review that said the sound quality was not so good, especially on the vocals. I'm glad I waited because I ordered Spring 90 TOO as soon as I got the email that it was available. I missed the first Spring 90 Box by waiting too long. After ordering I watched Dave's video and was pleased to hear that these are not just the leftovers, but (according to Dave) every bit as good as the shows in the first box.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Since it's now sold out... does that mean that The Terrapin Station project is now fully funded and we will have a Dead museum to go to? Kidding, I think that was scrapped... would still be cool
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Speaking only for myself and not trying to influence anyone else here, but I felt compelled to answer your question, "so why does it change things now?" as it mostly pertains to me. And let me first say that I respect your opinions, knowledge, and posts here, and am not trying to initiate a debate of any kind, only clarifying my own thoughts and feelings on the matter. So, what changed? I went from feeling like I was selflessly helping someone out who I may have had disagreements with, to feeling like I was merely enabling a spoiled child who constantly throws temper tantrums until he get his way. I don't even know how I got dragged into this thing to begin with. Excluding this past week or so, I probably post less in a month than many do in a day. I think what happened was AJS simply referenced one of my posts, and suddenly I became a major enemy in Spacebrother's mind. I should probably go back to mostly lurking. Best wishes to all, and looking forward to all the great releases the future will surely bring! Peace.

Member for

9 years 11 months

Bobaloo. SCORED Germany. SCORED. WON Spacebrother. SCORED, Wine will flow.......................
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

May 1977 was 15,000 copies, this release is 9,000 copies. May 1977 did take a while to sell out but it eventually did. I wonder why the reduction (over 1/3)???
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Go Germany! As a tribute I may bust out Hundred Year Hall over the next week. 1972 keeps popping up doesn't it? Random...maybe it's the weather, the fact that 4th of July has passed or maybe I have the Sunday blues...I rocked the Dead and the Mamas and the Papas this afternoon, imbibed on a few brews and things suddenly seem to be not so bad...
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Yeah. My guess is because it's nearly $250 out the door. They may find this one doesn't sell out in record time but who knows it is a cool release. Maybe they are going to offer individual show downloads and are banking on digital download sales. Who knows anymore. The rhyme or reason to releases has been that there is no rhyme or reason. I tend to see more live music in the warmer months as I believe most other do. I buy more music and stuff online during the colder months. The preorder sales of this set couldn't have come at a worse time for me. I saw Phish in Mansfield and Jamey Johnson in New Hampshire in the span of a few days and man I'm out. It's a hard balance. Shows and the night out in general aren't cheap anymore. I'm a deadhead. And like a crackhead I need my regular fix like the next guy. So if releases like Spring 90 TOO are available as individual show downloads I can live with that and pick away at my own pace. Peace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Story of my life, Terrapin and Winterland 73 sold out while trying to save up. Maybe next time...
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

May 1977 was 15,000 copies, this release is 9,000 copies. May 1977 did take a while to sell out but it eventually did. I wonder why the reduction (over 1/3)??? I think for the same reason that there are more '71-'77 releases than '89-'95 releases: Because TPTB analyze actual sales more than they analyze the strength and frequency of a few vocal opinions here, and feel that there is more demand for the former than the latter. I imagine that they try to guess how many they can sell in a reasonable amount of time and produce around that much. Limit it too much and leave money on the table. Make too many sets and have to sit with them in inventory for a long time. FWIW, I don't think the '73 box, which I have, was advertised as being limited to a particular number. They may make another batch of them at some point, so I wouldn't go paying eBay prices unless you know that they will never be available here again. Just my opinion.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Regardless of which era you may think is better, let's remember the first Spring '90 box sold out in less then 2 weeks, and DaP8, the only DaP after 1979, sold out in two days. Many of the fans who came to the band a little later then the original fans have proven that they will jump on the later date releases from the era when they first saw the band and got on the bus. Let's face it, regardless of what is your favorite era, the Spring '90 tour is excellent. The past few posts here have mentioned folks getting shut out on releases. Don't make that mistake here. Spring '90 TOO will go fast so don't be one of the ones lamenting the fact that you got shut out. Buy it now while you have the chance.Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Why the difference in edition size? Price for one thing. Also the fact that many who purchased the first box (and Dozin'... and Terrapin Limited...) probably won't bother with this one. But mostly because TPTB have folks on staff who know the actual numbers (demand, margin, and risk) better than we do. I'm thinking they'll milk this cow for all it's worth through 2015 and then abort CD releases entirely in favor of digital downloads. The Big Library in the Cloud, so to speak. Which pretty much ends things for those of us with an affinity for tangible media. As repugnant as it may be to some purists, I like the idea of a 50th anniversary box with one or more tunes (or one disc??) from every year of the band's existence... something genuinely career-defining, with a lot of goodies that might not see the light of day on full-show releases.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

May 1977 took a longer time to sell out because they offered more physical copies and they also had a download option.Since they are offering a download option on this box as well, they probably thought that a lot of people would go that route and not shell out the extra dough for the tagible box. Seems to me that they learned buying habits from the May '77 box.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Here is what I want for the 50th anniversary. Video footage and lots of it with great sound. What I want most is a c. 1969-71 show with Pigpen in his prime, doing Lovelight, Good Lovin' and others (Hard to Handle in 1971). For those of us too young to see it, I have long wanted to actually SEE Pigpen doing Lovelight, doing his rap and prowling the stage. Other than that, Alpine 89 box of DVD and multi-track mix, please. Interesting thread re: giving Spacebro a box. It is a personal decision for all how they want to donate their money. Some would rather help an individual while others give to large-scale charitable organizations. I am not going to judge how people give their funds, to each their own.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I understand the whining about limited editions, but come on guys, but nothing in this world is infinite. I thought Dicks Picks were going to be available forever. In Best Buy even... now cd stores are dead, best buy doesn't hardly carry Skeletons From the Closet, let alone Dicks Picks...2 years ago I had #14, 15 and 16 only. I figured one day I'd go out and get the rest. When I realized they were going the way of all good things, I went out and it took 2 years but I got them all. Winterland 77 came out in 2009. 5 years later, you really can't bitch that it sold out, and expect it to carry much weight. Slam me if you will, but I'm sorry, we all complain when the things we love go away, but when we miss out, we have no one to blame but ourselves. Nothing lasts forever. Jerry didn't, Winterland 77 didn't, and Spring 1990 (2) won't. Regardless of whether I buy 1 copy or 5 for selling later,... everything sells out or goes out of print. Save now if you want something... if you can't afford it, prioritize and pay for food and stuff first. There's enough free music out there to enjoy from the band... I dunno, I mean, I missed out on bonus discs. So now I'm paying $100 to get some of them. But I'm a completist. But it's my own fault. I'm not bitching... as much as I'd like to...
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

This thing is gonna sell out. No worries there. And no worries about stuff not selling out. The folks at Rhino take care of us and themselves. Every release seems to have an orb floating around it. Good and a little less than good, but never bad. The orb for this Spring 90 TOO might be the timing. Going back to February-DaP10, April-RSD Hampton '79 & Garcia, May-DaP11 w/bonus, July-JGB, Spring 90 Too, 3/29/90,Meet Up AT Movies, August-DaP12. I know they haven't got anything to do with Jerry releases but man there is a lot of new stuff out there. They know the demographic. Is it overkill?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Great discussion here about physical product versus downloads. Maybe I'm just old and in the way, and, admittedly, I lost my powers to see the future around the time that I stopped doing hallucinogens at Dead shows 20 some years ago, but I think that predictions of physical releases ending after 2015 are a bit premature. The fact that collectors like us can purchase the physical product and still take the music with us on our iPhones and such, I think, bodes well for the future of the CD. While the decline is inevitable and has already begun, it's not going to disappear that quickly. I'd be interested to hear how many people chose the download option for May '77 for a savings of, what, $40 or something?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

It doesn't seem that vinyl is dying out. Might be just a fad though. But physical media with digital info? They're obviously trying to keep the "pay for music" business model alive with limited edition pre-orders and box sets that appeal to collectors. I don't know how well that's working, I can't imagine that replica tickets are the answer. Maybe limited edition art prints and so on? I think the future is gonna be in streaming, though. A future where you don't get physical media or digital files without paying a huge "piracy" premium.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

First of all, I see a lot of posts where folks are complaining that other people are "whining". I do see an occasional whine here and there but not much. Its an internet forum ... the point is for people to voice their opinions. If someone simply says "i'm not buying the release as its too much cash" ... that is not someone whining and they are just telling us all what they think. And, that to me is valuable information. I don't know why but I wanted to comment on this matter. Now, turning to Spring 1990 Too. I am not a completist and I don't feel the need to buy all releases. I have a decent amount of later era Dead (warlocks, buffalo, RT, etc). For me, that is enough. I reach for that later era of the Dead maybe 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time, i'm listening to late 60's and 70's. So, I find the price of this new offering simply too expensive based on the amount of times I expect to listen to it. I do agree with others, a box set of $100 or under would have been much more appealing to me and at that price range, I may be bought it. I am certainly not rich but if I HAD to have this release, I could spend the money for it. My lovely wife wouldn't be thrilled but she would be ok with it (eventually). So, not complaining or whining ... just letting you all know my opinion on this. I find it interesting to hear others view on this ... so here is mine. Its not that I don't like late era Dead, I do. In fact, there are a lot of times when its really hits the spot. I actually like Brent's era a lot. But, I just tend to reach for 60's and 70's more. That all being said, I may pick up the stand alone Marsalis show. Also, was looking at the Terrapin release and now its gone. So, was now thinking of picking up Crimson, White and Indigo. I read some reviews on that release that weren't good. Can someone give me some feedback good or bad on that CWI release? I actually have the Buffalo release which was few days before and I like it very much. How does CWI compare to Buffalo? How was band playing (was it a good show) and how was sound quality? thanks
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

First of all, I see a lot of posts where folks are complaining that other people are "whining". I do see an occasional whine here and there but not much. Its an internet forum ... the point is for people to voice their opinions. If someone simply says "i'm not buying the release as its too much cash" ... that is not someone whining and they are just telling us all what they think. And, that to me is valuable information. I don't know why but I wanted to comment on this matter. Now, turning to Spring 1990 Too. I am not a completist and I don't feel the need to buy all releases. I have a decent amount of later era Dead (warlocks, buffalo, RT, etc). For me, that is enough. I reach for that later era of the Dead maybe 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time, i'm listening to late 60's and 70's. So, I find the price of this new offering simply too expensive based on the amount of times I expect to listen to it. I do agree with others, a box set of $100 or under would have been much more appealing to me and at that price range, I may be bought it. I am certainly not rich but if I HAD to have this release, I could spend the money for it. My lovely wife wouldn't be thrilled but she would be ok with it (eventually). So, not complaining or whining ... just letting you all know my opinion on this. I find it interesting to hear others view on this ... so here is mine. Its not that I don't like late era Dead, I do. In fact, there are a lot of times when its really hits the spot. I actually like Brent's era a lot. But, I just tend to reach for 60's and 70's more. That all being said, I may pick up the stand alone Marsalis show. Also, was looking at the Terrapin release and now its gone. So, was now thinking of picking up Crimson, White and Indigo. I read some reviews on that release that weren't good. Can someone give me some feedback good or bad on that CWI release? I actually have the Buffalo release which was few days before and I like it very much. How does CWI compare to Buffalo? How was band playing (was it a good show) and how was sound quality? thanks
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

dantian - nice post, and right back at ya. i'd rather err on the "help a brother out" side, but there is no debate here - I totally respect your well explained opinion. I hope you keep on posting.... Cheers....

Member for

9 years 11 months

Meet the Beatles.....vinyl. The startIn between, 8-tracks, reel to reel, cassettes, DAT, minidisc, CD, download............ I MISS the record store. Kids today are robbed of that experience. But they don't know, so how could they care? The whole damn industry is completely different now. Truthfully, a band like GD, if they came out like they did in 67. You think they'd keep their deal? You gotta ship platinum today to have a chance of a career. Bands do radio station tours before the first album is recorded! It's nuts. Buts it's about money, it's the music business! BUSINESS. I'm not a fan but I understand. Hell I still have my mom's 78's! It started with Eagles Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and good ole Frampton Comes Alive. A&R depts, began to vanish. Developing an artist, that's history too. But hey what ya gonna do? Little Johnny can make a CD on his computer with Pro-Tools and become a star on YouTube! *disclamer..... This is the rantings of an old guy who no longer matters, please take with the proverbial grain of salt.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I will say for me, I prefer physical product. Money savings or not, I will always buy physical. I have never bought a single issue in digital, other than the Download series. I don't plan on changing that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Yeah, man, preaching to the choir on that one. Went to my local record store last week to pick up the CSNY '74 boxset. Was a little PO'd that they didn't stock enough and sold out in the first day, but went back the next day once they had restocked. I'll gladly give my money to my record store over internet sales any day, even if it means a slight inconvenience. Sad to say that some people don't have that option in the age of Amazon and iTunes. Maybe I'll adapt, but right now I would never spend $250, or even $50, for a download that I can't hold in my hands. I don't care about the ticket facsimiles or other shwag, but I do go back and read the booklets that come with these things, and I deeply appreciate the artwork and photos. I assume most people who post on these boards have similar feelings, and that's why I think dead.net will continue to offer physical products for some time to come. PS: I still see young kids in the record store, so all is not totally lost. I caught some scraggly-haired teenagers the other day thumbing through the vinyl and was mightily please.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

While somewhere in the distant future physical product may disappear it ain't happening anytime soon. Especially vinyl it is skyrocketing (admittedly from a low base) and it's not just nostalgia of us old folk. Young bands and fans are putting out at least the 1st printing on vinal. Add to that that most people like to own things premature is the word. Just look at print books their demise was predicted 10 years ago not only are they still here their doing great ( though the independant bookstore not so great) Just check out book tv on Cspan 2
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I totally agree with you about buying from independants. But and this is a big one. There is a big independant on the Penninsula. back in the 90's I spent at least $10000 (that was when boots NOT Pirates from Europe were big) As time went on I spent a lot less (priorities change) but still ordered from him and not Amazon paying 2 bucks more for each CD. That is untill 4 years ago he made it clear he no longer had time to order the special order CDs or even chat music with me. I may not be able to talk to Amazon but their customer service (remember that Tommy) is great if I have a problem it's fixed immediately with no whinning
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...gets my vote as well. I have fond memories of Tower Records, and more recently, Circuit City. Best Buy, I bet, won't last another couple of years. It's sad. Browsing through records was soothing. Odyssey Records here in Vegas, used to have open lp's of the most current releases to let the buyer sample. Thats how I found The Final Cut and Too Fast For Love back in the day. Good times. Gonna pull the trigger on Spring 90 tonight. Because, if I know me (and I do), I'll be kicking my own ass five years from now if I second-guess it. You have to admit, it was a great tour. Jerry's fingers were flying.

Member for

9 years 11 months

I hear them kids in Colorado are having a real hard time rolling their "ciggies" on them downloads! A few years back I pulled out a vintage copy of Frank Zappa Freak Out to show a buddy. As I opened the gatefold a couple seeds rolled out! I looked at him and quickly said, "Roach Poop". Two old farts laughed a while on that one! Good Night Folks. Hope you all have a good week.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...were good for rolling J's. Of course, seeds nowadays are few and far between in the current strains. Some things do get better with age.....lol
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

For the record, Antonjo, I wasn't implying that you needed charity, I was just trying to make a broad point (and you probably realized that). As Marye pointed out, that opinion was rather judgmental, but I admit that I can be opinionated and somewhat cynical at times... Loved hearing your story about the Spring 90 tour and would love to hear from others on the same subject. Sadly (or happily, depending on your point of view), I didn't see my first Dead show until a few months later. I say sadly because I missed some opportunities earlier as many others surely did as well. Also: love to hear Steely Dan mentioned--they're not for everyone but those of us who like them tend to like them ALOT. 5th row...should be great. My big score this year is second row center for Los Lobos coming to my town this October.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

For those of you scoring at home I ordered my two Europe 72 shows tonight. Ended up going with Newcastle 4-11 and Paris 5-4. I felt like I had to pick a show with Dark Star and was intrigued with what I read about 5-4, a show I've never heard. That made it really hard to narrow down the next choice but what I read about the jam at the end of the Other One from Newcastle sold me on that show as well as the universal opinion that the show is hot from start to finish.5-26 is probably the most "essential" show of the tour but I'm pretty familiar with it from the old cassette days and opted for two shows I haven't heard. It was REALLY tough to pass on the two Holland shows and when I first looked into this 5-3 was the one I was "sure" of. It was a lot of fun looking into this and thanks to everyone for their input. 4-8 is the only show I own other that the two mainstream releases and I'd recommend it to anyone. As many of you have mentioned, any two shows from this tour would be just great but I spent a lot of time researching anyway. Speaking of physical product, I pulled down my copy of The Taping Compendium Volume One for the first time in several years. I still use my Deadbase often but finally reached for the Compendium tonight before making the final call (it's great, by the way). I had to laugh a little, though: this is a book about tapes! Tapes are already obsolete and books are heading quickly in that direction. I'm old though, and still prefer actual books and CDs. With a couple releases selling out recently, I wonder if other folks here had the same buying strategy as me. I had some money set aside for a possible box set, but when it wasn't in my price range I was free to spend it on other music I really wanted. In addition to these two shows I was able to preorder the Branford show and the new Jerry release as well as Miles Davis A Tribute to Jack Johnson as the cherry on top (thanks for the suggestion, Crispyrob if you're out there). One last note: if you like Truckin' Up to Buffalo, you will probably like Crimson Light and Indigo.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Takimoto- I agree 100% with your post. I have both Truckin up to Buff and CWI - I would have to say on the overall and Jam side CWI is better. The second set really smokes although Brent's vocals are low in the mix. I think Truckin has a great first set with great versions of Bertha, Cold Rain and Snow, and Row Jimmy (really good). Second set starts fine with touch (really good), ship (flub verse, buts till good) and man smart but really (IMO) loses steam with Playing reprise, Terrapin, and I will take you home - normally I would love the Terrapin but it feels out of place and the watchtower was never a favorite, morning dew is alright and the NFA with Brent and Jerry trading licks is cool, but the set as a whole never seems to gel into those classic storyline type sets. CWI is solid just wished the Brent vocals were a little higher in the second set. Great starter Hell in a Bucket, and Jerry is really taking it to another level with the Iko- adding the chief phrase. Let it grow jams as the sun goes down. The box>scarlet/fire>estimated is the meat of the second set and doesn't disappoint. Jerry is not filling time here - there is some really inspired playing (highly suggest getting the video). Standing on the Moon is also well played. The rest of the set has a really good flow. Hope that helps-
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I loved spending time in record stores and used to go to Vintage Vinyl in U City near St. Louis pretty often in the early 80s. I distinctly remember picking up Revolver and thinking, I should probably check this out...30+ years later it's my second favorite studio album of all time, behind Abbey Road. Used record store were a lot of fun and so were used book stores.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Also good for the pin and glass trick. We used to hash out which album would be best to use.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

On the subject of crimson white and indigo, my favorite blow away and one of my favorite versions of standing on the moon.Working down in Mobile, AL today. 5/17/77 Tuscaloosa on my stereo! Y'all have a great day!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

Not certain if this was discussed before, is there a reason why the first Spring '90 box was the 2-track and not the 24 like this new set?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I, too am catching Steely Dan at Taft Theatre in Cincy. I saw them last year at the Louisville Palace, and it was a great show! Steely Dan is a common favorite band of my Dad and me, so it's always fun seeing them with him. Thanks for the heads up on the Los Lobos Fall tour. I am going to try to catch them for a late September outdoor show in Ft. Wayne, IN. There is a band touring this summer and Fall called Brown Sabbath, an Austin band of Latinos playing Latin spiced Black Sabbath covers. One or two tunes have Alex Maas (Black Angels) on vocals, at least "Hand of Doom". Their version of "Planet Caravan" (one of my favorite Sabbath tunes, although not the representative Sabbath tune) is stellar. I just ordered my vinyl copy, on brown (my favorite color) vinyl, and I am going to see them in Indy in August. I can't wait; should be a great live band. I always appreciate the asides about other music on these boards, so there's my contribution for the day.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

But my guess is as good as yours. First box may have not had the budget and time. The second box Dave mentions it took Norman nearly 5 months, with a rate of 1 song per day for the 2nd box. I'm guessing the client feedback and clear conscious told them to do it right. But who really knows?? some seem to like the sound of the 1st box. A buddy of mine and casual fan of the Dead noticed right away with the sound. He owns Dicks 12 and 17. And only listens when I'm around. Another question, Dave stated the 5 out 6 shows he picked for box 1 were changed close to the last minute before production or processing. Why ?? As the archivist that seems to an awful lot when he already had his mind made up. Who overrides him when it comes to that point in the planning ? Just a few thoughts, I guess my Fox Box will have to wait till another day. I do think a 79-85 show is cooking and in the works at some point this year. I'm banking on 3 more release this year from GD and Rhino. The final 2 Dave's picks and a double dose of vinyl and CD for RSD Black Friday. That's the big commercial holiday. 1971 has a good chance. With April or Dec shows fitting the bill ,, 12-14-71 comes to mind
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

@RMD: I can only assume money and/or time constraints. Just this morning, I had a discussion with a friend: 1990 the first one should ne worse than Terrapin/Dozin'/WaN, but, on a good system, I find the differences slight, to 'say the most'.
product sku