• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

Thank you. I think?
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I brought out Dicks Volume 2 this past weekend. Short but definitely very sweet... The Dark Star>Jam is one of my all-time favorites. Also recently listened to England '74. Can't remember the number off top of my head. Very good.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I also have always been led to believe tht the band we all know & love so much got there start in 1965. So imagine my surprise when I found this pic while looking at some old photos of the Fillmore Westhttp://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/769/MI0001769217.jpg?pa… It clearly is labeled Oct. 23, 1964! Can anyone comment on this? Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

you're welcome? I think?not sure why i'm saying you're welcome... but you're welcome
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

I think just placed an order with you on ebay. Didn't know it was you until I got the reply.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Don't know where you came across that photo, but I wouldn't put too much stock in the printed info at the bottom. The photo itself looks to be from a 1990 show, and look closely, there are TWO Bobs in it! Fairly easy to type onto a photograph these days. Check your Deadbase. No shows in October '64.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks Wharf. The photo certainly confused me. Guess I am too gullible! I trust people too much perhaps.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

Look at the setlist on that bootleg. UJB PITB Ripple It sure isn't from the 60's.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Well, the first Playing in the Band was 2-8-71, and the last King Bee was 12-15-71 (with PigPen). So, if this is all from one show, it would need to be between those dates. I checked and cannot find any shows (that we know of) that have all of the songs in the list for this CD at one show. It is probably songs culled from shows between those two dates. If anyone else wants to check, the song list on the cd is: Uncle John's Band NFA-GDTRFB Morning Dew Playing in the Band Ripple Sugar Magnolia Casey Jones Me & Bobby McGee King Bee. Interesting puzzle, though :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

oh you did... ok? Then that's your road trips i just put in the mailbox. just a heads up... hit me up ahead-of-time next time via email.. I sell stuff there, but if you contact me, i will knock money off it if I know you're from here on this msg board.. can't do it after the fact though... but in the case of some folks here who buy a lot, it adds up
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

Thank You. You can keep your mod hat on.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got your PM... you got one back. I'll send you my email too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

That was quite a morning read over my yogurt and granola. The best part of this cyber-community is that it helps me to stay connected to a great time in my life. The music and conversation sustain me on many fronts. Even the arguments and diatribes have their place (had some very intense discussions in the hotels, arenas, campgrounds, etc). The reality for all of us tied to this band is that we share a passion willingly with others. Some of us are nuttier than others (why I have the same show in four media formats or five different recordings is very hard to explain to the uninitiated). To get too serious or angry about any of this makes no sense. The music and memories should transport us to higher places in our minds. Sure it is personal, very very personal. In sharing the experience we need to give each other the space and respect we would give our neighbors at a show. Experienced plenty of true idiots there ( getting pissed on at calaveras 87 or having my girlfriend's head split open by a quarter thrown from the upper reaches at Nassau 85, trampling gate crashers, etc.) I like to think of these forums as being free of the idiots, a gathering of folks into it for the right reasons. I hope we can get back to this place. Thanks to Mary E for cleaning up the mess. Let's try to leave nothing but educated passionate footprints.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

That was quite a morning read over my yogurt and granola. The best part of this cyber-community is that it helps me to stay connected to a great time in my life. The music and conversation sustain me on many fronts. Even the arguments and diatribes have their place (had some very intense discussions in the hotels, arenas, campgrounds, etc). The reality for all of us tied to this band is that we share a passion willingly with others. Some of us are nuttier than others (why I have the same show in four media formats or five different recordings is very hard to explain to the uninitiated). To get too serious or angry about any of this makes no sense. The music and memories should transport us to higher places in our minds. Sure it is personal, very very personal. In sharing the experience we need to give each other the space and respect we would give our neighbors at a show. Experienced plenty of true idiots there ( getting pissed on at calaveras 87 or having my girlfriend's head split open by a quarter thrown from the upper reaches at Nassau 85, trampling gate crashers, etc.) I like to think of these forums as being free of the idiots, a gathering of folks into it for the right reasons. I hope we can get back to this place. Thanks to Mary E for cleaning up the mess. Let's try to leave nothing but educated passionate footprints.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Garcia Live, Vol 4. Start the spin this evenin'. BTW-saw Robert Hunter is appearing at Newport Folk Festival. Saw him last time around in Boston-great show. Listened to the CSNY 74 1 disc compilation from the new box set. Nice versions of some of the more well known songs on this 1 disc version. Ironically it makes me apprec. the Dead all that much more-less hype, more jams, more chances taken, less politics, more timeless IMHO.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Mary Ramon(e) Tommy Ramone passed recently...hooray for the Ramones! or, Gabba Gabba Hey! Revolver sounds REALLY good right now :))) I recommmmmmmmmmmmmmend Love or Confusion by Jimi H Exp. Wanna blow your mind? Read Beloved by Toni Morrison. CREEPY. HARTFORD 83!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

you missed the original post that started it all...so, yea that should be removed as well... peace to you, Brother Seth... ♤
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Does anyone remember the Blair J and Big Donnie smackdown on the Europe 72 thread a few years ago? That was something to behold.Speaking of BlairJ, you never see his postings anymore. Could BlairJ be posing as Bolo24? Just wondering.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That does make a lot of sense, indeed. Oh that mysterious Bolo...
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

UnderTheVolcano: You are in for a treat... I was blown away by this release.The set list looks very ordinary but the performance is awesome. The sound quality is top notch. Love the background vocals with both Donna and Maria...
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yep. Bolo, same first letter as Blair. J is the 10th letter of the alphabet. 24, or 2 + 4, = 6 6 + 6 = 12. Subtract 12 from the number of letters in the alphabet (26) and you get 14. Take the 4 from Bolo's name, and subtract it from 14, and you get 10 (J!) It's obvious! (The "olo" is just there to confuse us)
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Who cares who or what message started it? Please respect a very good moderator in Marye and just let the back-and-forth end. Marye does a great job and rarely gets involved in these spats between members. She isn't banning you guys, just saying cut it out. Now, where is the DaP11 announcement? The timing of this box announcement really will leave DaP11 little space of its own. I am sure it will get the love it deserves, but I wonder if some non-subscribers will have to forgo purchasing because of this $250 box already announced. Lastly, release of individual shows would be fantastic. My guess on the E72 individual releases is that there was a quick demand for the music-only box, but that did not live up the hype. So, they have them in-stock now. Personally, I love that the E72 tour is available individually-- I didn't get the box, but have been chipping away at shows. Someday, maybe I will have the tour...

Member for

9 years 11 months

Does bolo24 have part of the cover art for DaP11 up as an avatar?Saw it this morning and it's been bugging me. Is that it? So much confusion, so little mind. Bobaloo is curious..............
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

...or the "olo" are not letters, but numbers. Hmmmmm
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years

This is pretty random, but Manuel Neuer is Germany's Goalkeeper. His name is abbreviated Ma. Neuer. And his nickname is "The Horse" Ma. Neuer. That is total BS. Of course his last name is pronounced "Noyer."
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Do we know if more than the entire box and the Branford show is available for individual purchase? I want several of the shows with a Branford hardcopy but not necessarily a complete run...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Very interesting! But I don't think it's BS. HS, maybe.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Dantian, that's it! You've figured out the code. I can't reveal what I now realize though, it would not be fair. PS - “If you go flying back through time, and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact” - Jack Handy PPS - Cosmicbadger - I think Peace, Love, and Understanding are freakin' hilarious.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Great tune! sort of bang it out on my acoustic from time to time
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

...at Bolo's avatar, and you can see (in VERY tiny print) "9/14/82" !
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

nice pick
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

DUDE! I got your PM.I have what you're looking for. 1 left. Check PM for my direct email and info... check SOON though....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

...at anything and you can see anything. In tiny print. I'm really liking the new Jerry Band release. Wonderful music for a long summers day and night.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Looks more like 7/10/81 to me. :-D
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I've finished translating the rest of it. Don't get on that ship! The rest of the book, it's... it's a cookbook!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

cue Twilight Zone theme
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

So, as we sit twiddling our thumbs in anticipation of DaP 11... In heavy rotation: Sturgill Simpson's "Metamodern" Howlin' Brothers' "Howl" Rodney Crowell's debut Hey - music beyond the Dead. Whodathunk?
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Fennario, How does the JGB Vol 4 compare to the Pure Jerry Warner Theatre Release? I love the Warner version of Mission - just bursting of energy and my wife loves Midnight Moonlight, so the second disc gets a lot of rotation in the car. Trying to figure where to spend my grateful music dollar... Music in play: Box TOO, JGB Vol4, GDMovie Soundtrack, SSDD, new CSNY box, Led Zep remasters, E72 boxset - Love it all, but can't get it all. Listening to the Spring 90 shows from bttree/archive, digging what I'm hearing thus far...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

I missed out on the Pure Jerry which is one reason this release makes me so happy. One caveat: It's missing the last few minutes of Midnight Moonlight according to the small print on the CD case if that matters to anyone (tape apparently ran out). I'm sure it does matter to some of you :) IMHO It's worth it for the piano playing alone. Keith and Ozzie must have been competing for Jerry's approval!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

...it might matter to your wife, huh?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

it says "the first few minutes". My eyes are horrible...double vision.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

It's the end that's missing. The song ends abruptly. Pretty ugly actually. Unless I have a defective CD?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Cy Dune - "Shake"Wooden Wand - "AZAG TOTH" People of the North - "Judge A Man By His Fruits" William Tyler - "Blue Ash Montgomery" M. Geddes Gengras - "Ishi" Ghost - "Snuffbox Immanence" When the Sun Goes Down Vol.1 - "Walk Right In: The Secret History Of Rock 'n' Roll GD - "Formerly the Warlocks"
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

If you're thinking of the CSNY box, I'd say go for it. It's fantastic. Sure, it was cleaned up a bit by Nash, but the music is phenomenal. It's a nice portrait of the tour. The single disc version at Best Buy isn't too shabby a sampler, but the full three set summary is worth the cash. I've had it in since I bought it last week.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

I bought the single disc from Amazon and it came with Auto Rip. The auto rip included all 40 tracks - YMMV of course.
product sku