• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Just drag the whole folder on top of your iTunes icon. The show should show up there, in order.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

There is a lot that can be said about this or that band member's contribution, how good this show was compared to that show, which show that people who are really in the know like (oh, you like THAT show?)... But in my limited experience: These shows are a blast! It doesn't matter if you were there or not, you can feel it in these recordings. Church is in session and Jerry and the Boyz bring us to our knees. (And if you were there, what a memory, eh?) My recommendation is to follow the advice of Obi Wan Kenobi: "Let go your conscious self, and act on instinct." These shows have what you want, and you can believe it if you need it. Share and Enjoy!
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

Words of wisdom Lloyd, words of wisdom
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Thanks One Man. I'll try that next time.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Great job. Beautiful set.
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

can i get some EUGENE please and not so pretencious that its all EAST coast, the woods and tree forts live , peace
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

can i get some EUGENE please and not so pretencious that its all EAST coast, the woods and tree forts live , peace
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

If your box set is like mine, have you noticed how difficult it is to remove the discs the first time? I know that it is always hard with this type of package, but yikes, for this box it is difficult not to crack them!
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

I watched the package unveiling and it is a very well done Box set, looks sturdy, the cd covers are just like the ones I like, with the plastic CD holders, and nice books ,pictures and laminates. Good Job Rhino.JIm
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

The Set looks very nice with everything done well, I hope everyone is happy with their setsJim
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

My box arrived this morning in France with French post via Germany.Nice box with a defective CD: 3.22.90 Hamilton CD1 cracked in the middle. so I need a replacement disc.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Looking for an easy way to remove the discs without breaking them. They're in tighter than a blank blank with a blank.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Phew...thought it was just my set that should have come with a tube of KY! But, once they're out, it's all good - no longer a tight fit (intone Michael Scott, "that's what she said...")...actually, any way you try to describe the removal process pretty much sounds like blatant sexual inuendo WOOT pried it, rotated it, talked gently, took deep breaths
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years

Perhaps this was already tried, though it sometimes helps to press down on the center 'teeth' (gently) while lifting the disc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I just (finally) got my box today in France. I'm really stunned by the mix; Brent's tinkly-tink keyboard is very loud and distracting. At times it's louder than the voices, or than Jerry's guitars. What gives? Frankly, I'm not a big fan of late Dead, but this is simply appalling. I think I'll be putting my box up for sale on Ebay.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

By the way, I ordered on the very first day, and I got #8477. No big deal, but I'd have expected the numbers to go out roughly in order of purchase...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

True, the mix is unbalanced at times. I'm surprised it's as good as it is, considering no budget was dedicated to mixing from the available multi-track tapes. If you are bothered by the loud keys -- and this solution is counterintuitive -- try turning up the overall volume until the things you want to focus on are loud enough to satisfy. Yes, the keys will also get louder, but it may be easier to listen "past" them if you can adjust your brain a little to grab more Garcia or whatever you want more of. Good luck!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

kirkmc, I think the mix varies show to show. At least that's been my impression (though I haven't directly compared them). 3/16 and 3/19 seemed more Brent-heavy to me, but maybe that's just because I was getting used to him. By the way, you should give 4-2 a spin before putting anything on Ebay. Also, the same thing happened to me with the numbering.
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

if you're gonna sell one of the best produced box sets ever because the keys are a touch overwhelming at times, you might as well sell Dick's Picks 6 because the drums can be distractingly loud, or Dave's Picks 2 because Donna's howls are...well, they're Donna's howls.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Please disregard my request for help.Apparently, while I was being told they couldnt ship because ofbackordered tshirt, both were already shipped! Got them today and all is well. Sorry to bother you. JohnL (order 8888313)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Kirkmc - Not sure I get it... the Dead's standard 89/90 "mix" is fairly well represented on these discs, and you confess to being no fan of the era. So why buy this box? (IMO, compared to the outrageously up-front keyboard onslaught of Vince+Bruce, early '90 sounds pretty dern good. Of course, the two-keyboard configuration was designed to cover deficiencies in another area, but I digress!)
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have a solution for removing the tight discs the first time without breaking them, but as previously noted it is difficult to describe the technique without sounding sexual, sorry. First, you need a screwdriver. Most men have one of these, but the longer it is the better and I know this might present a problem for some. Second, slide that thing underneath the disc all way in to the g-spot and lift until you achieve the desired release. I'm referring to the center gimbal hole of the disc where the center "teeth" hold it. BUT WAIT! Don't be premature and blow it, you fool. You need some protection so that you do not scratch the delicate membrane as you go in. I use a piece of medium weight paper card stock, about 4" x 4" in size (that's about 10 cm for you backward Euroheads). Slide the paper in first and then insert the screwdriver (or similar instrument) under that so there is no contact with the disc. Pry upward at the center point and the disc pops off free and clear! Now that you know this, I don't want to hear any more reports of cracked discs. ; )
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Instead of getting disc 1 for 3/19/90 I got an extra disc 1 for 3/22/90............they said they would mail me disc 1 for 3/19/90.......it has been two weeks so far. I just hope they live up to their word.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I can't complain with the S90 box it has been a real pleasure to listen to. I think maybe a good idea for a future release would be a group of shows from one venue over several different years. I'd love to have an Alpine Valley box with 20 shows during the 80's to choose from. You could make a great box set out of that! and throw in some video. Or maybe shows from one city. A Philly box? Chicago Box? How good would shows from the Electric the Auditorium theatre (DaP3), The Uptown, the UIC pavilion (there's a great radio broadcast show from that run.) The Horizon and Soldier Field be? And all in one box covering 68' through 95'. Just thoughts and wishes. Keep the music coming!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

My box was supposed to have been sent on 23 August to the UK. However, no sign of it. Parcelforce also has no sign of it. Is anyone else in the UK still waiting?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Actually no-one has got the S90 box in the UK yet. Boxes have turned up in France, Italy, Germany and Sweden over the last few days but nothing here. It is not clear how they are being sent as there seems to be no tracking data, however if it is by normal post then we could be getting them in the next few days. Based on the info in the despatch letters sent out we should give it until Friday before dropping a line to query the whereabouts. Despite all the evidence to the contrary I remain optimistic on this.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just wondering who plans on picking up the first volume of the new Jerry series over at the Jerry Garcia.com site? show from 3/1/80, with a great line up at the time. Could be the start of a really cool new series!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

Every day I log into this website, I find it harder and harder to fight the $199.98 price sticker of this box set. Did I pre-order "Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It"? Sure! But it's just so...just so...PRETTY!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Call of a stripped down set for $100 with just the book and shows might have been sweeter. At least, the music is great and the mix is good. This set piqued my interest enough to take 'Without a Net' off the shelf to compare. On disc 3 of Copps, they botch that 'Hey Jude' a little (it's 'tentative' in places) but you have to hand it to them. They were bold enough to take chances, so I can't fault 'em for it. They sure were in a good spot for this tour...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

These shows rock just listen to blow away from the first show Brent leading the band almost reminicent of pigpen. The band sound like they are enjoying themselves and everything seems to gel. This is not 70's or 60's dead this is the dead 30 years later and still having fun Great stuff
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I orderd a copy of Jerry's Vol.1, went for the poster/shirt combo. If their is truth to the writing then we are in store for some solid releases from Jerry's Vault. I hope it is true, really love the Pure Jerry stuff. I also order the Keystone Berkly shows with Merle Saunders from Amazon. No mention of it on Dead.net. I'm sure Jerry's vault has some amazing music. Hopefully all the legal stuff has been put to bed and the music will play. In the meantime, Spring 90 will keep me jamming until some new stuff arrives. Hate to read that some folks still don't have DP3, massive "Charlie Foxtrot" The band and its managers did something amazing for all of us, they taped and preserved their shows. Bet they never thoght it would become an empire. Folks like us will never have enough Grateful Dead~JGB. Being a Deadhead is a big part of my life. Peace. Phil
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have seen several folks here ask for just the music without all of he acoutrements. I am all for a lower price, but just how low do you think Rhino would go? Based on Dave's Picks and other releases, the lowest you could possibly see is $150. That is $25 per show. So at $200 as is, still a fair price. Worth every penny IMHO.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

recieved my spring 90 box in scotland on 07/09/12.very happy with it indeed.everything in perfect condition,no damaged cd's etc.however i would much rather have boxsets like the style of winterland 73 and 77.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

What a perfect opener for the Spring 1990 listening adventure!! The entire package is sweet and full of goodness like a box of chocolates !! The big book of photos and those GDTS concierge letters that used to come with the mail order tickets (way back before the internet) bring back tons of wonderful memories : ) Thank you Dave and Rhino !!! Thank you Jerry and Brent !!! The sound (so far): 3/19 is the finest sounding live Dead recording I have ever listened to. 3/16 sounds flatter , maybe because they captured the sound of each hall? There is also less Phil and more drums, which is rare for live Dead recordings but welcomed because it's easier to turn that up than down. Both 3/16 and 3/19 sound brighter than Dozin at the Knick. I am listening to Spring 1990 with the turnover on my amp set to 2.5khz whereas I use 5 khz for Dozin because on that recording both Jerry and Bob's guitars get obscured by the midrange. Hey now - if it looks like rain better check your doorstep, porch, patio, or courtyard. Ordered on 9/04, received here in West LA on 9/08 while the order status was still listed as "processing". Shipping notification emailed on 9/10 : ( Arrrived in perfect condition & 100% complete. Are people really using screwdrivers to remove the CD's from their cases? Could they be the MP3 (or even LP) generation?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

bryso wrote: "recieved my spring 90 box in scotland on 07/09/12"Not yet arrived in my part of Scotland. Shipping confirmation received from dead.net on 23rd August stating sent by UPS 2-Day International with a UPS tracking code that does not exist. 20 days later and still no sign. How did yours arrive? Royal Mail?? Courier?? Any customs charges??
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

PsyKies I received a follow-up email that advised that it was being sent by normal post. On a previous occasion I was advised that an order had been sent and when it eventually arrived the postmark showed that it had actually been posted three weeks after the notification. I regret not ordering the box from Spin, from whom I am getting my Dave's Picks discs.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Non arrival in this part of Scotland (Central) Shipped 23rd August but I am not quite panicking as it is not quite 3 weeks However combined with the non arrival of DP3 it is quite concerning
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Don't use a screwdriver to remove the discs! Gently apply a little pressure to the spindle the disc is sitting on. While holding on to the edges of the disc, gently give the disc a little turn; maybe a quarter turn) while pulling the disc up to extract it. It seemed to come out easier for me when extracting this way, without force. After extracting the discs once or twice this way it gets easier. It doesnt seem to add stress to the disc thus way, and it worked well for me. Good luck and Enjoy.
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Yeah, whoever is using a screwdriver must have had a few too many Screwdrivers. You're just asking for trouble by doing such. I just pressed down firmly on the center spindle, placed fingers on opposite sides, and gently wiggled the discs out. I'm sure some of you have pressed down on the center spindle and tried prying the disc loose from one side, which doesn't work very well and will eventually guarantee a broken disc and a broken heart. The smart thing to do is to pry the discs loose and put them in a CD wallet. I ripped them at 320 and put everything back in the box because I much prefer the instant segue between discs rather than the delay CD changers present.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Great, thanks for pointing it out. I didn't know about it. I don't see it on Amazon yet. I like ordering from there when possible. But I'll get it! Jerry rules! What, no track list on the web site? ;(
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

For those of you unable to find the tracklist for Garcia Live Vol. 1 on jerrygarcia.com I have copied and pasted it for you here Early Show: Sugaree Catfish John How Sweet It Is Simple Twist of Fate Sitting in Limbo > That's All Right Deal Late Show: Mission in the Rain That's What Love Will Make You Do Russian Lullaby Tiger Rose (w/ Robert Hunter) The Harder They Come Promontory Rider (w/ Robert Hunter) Midnight Moonlight E: Dear Prudence The lineup is: Jerry Garcia - Guitar/Vocals John Kahn - Bass Ozzie Ahlers - Keyboards Johnny de Foncesca - Drums
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Who was the shipper ? I've been told first that it was DHL Global, and then (from Dead.net) that it was UPS Worldwide Saver. Tony
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I've been comparing the Knickerbocker discs to Dozin' at the Knick and find that I much prefer the mix of Dozin'. Granted, I don't have a huge problem with the mix like some here, especially nothing warranting complete dissatisfaction or threats to sell my set on eBay or elsewhere. No, I still believe this was $200 well spent. Also, I'm partial to Dozin' 'cause that was my first listening of the Dead ever back in '96 when it was released. Something about that mix is more front and center whereas I feel the Spring '90 mix places me somewhere in the middle of the arena; Dozin' rocks whereas the Spring '90 mix booms. Of course, Lemieux and Norman knew that comparisons would be made between the two and opted for this current mix anyway which speaks volumes.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks for the list.As most of us know this band has another release from this tour (2/28/80 at Kean College) Known as 'After Midnight' which included a bonus disc that had five additional jams, four from 2/29 and one from 3/1 That track is the That's Alright, Mama From the Keystone sessions with Merl Saunders Made famous by Elvis (whose drummer would soon be in JGB). As for the Dozin' v Spring 90 there are also the different nights to consider as the Box set show is not on Dozin' and I have heard variations at multiple shows For example the New Years run in 1983 at SF Civic, the First Night ROCKED and the others were more contained altho extremely entertaining (was dancin' my socks off)
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

Every Mastering Engineer has a different spin on how he masters discs, Arista records did "Without a Net" ,It probably was done by some big name mastering engineer because these labels want that big label sound, ,Good test on your ears that you noticed the difference. Those are bothwell done CDS
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Of course, nothing has arrived. As the first email advised that dispatch had been by UPS and even gave a tracking number and then the follow up email advised that the package had not been sent in this manner, deadnet did not even know how the package had allegedly been sent, it is reasonable to deduce nothing has in fact been sent. I am now fed up to my back teeth. It should be a simple enough matter to post a package to an address in the UK.
product sku
GRA9900088