• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Finally received my Pick 3. Ahhh....Although no '90 yet and I'm concerned that I never got the follow up email clarifying that it was sent international as opposed to USP Ground as other people have. As far as I am still aware, overseas incorporates the ocean and not the ground/sand underneath (snide;sorry) Regarding Dave's latest pick: Of course, now the first thing I do is check the discs and the music for defects. Ouch. Just wondering if anybody could tell me if the slight click/skip/glitch(?) at about 4:20 on 'Bertha' from the transition from Jerry's solo to the chorus is in the original tape and hence everyone's copy or just mine? Thanks in advance, Deadnoggins.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Not received mine yet but others in the UK have started receiving theirs. They are being delivered by Parcel Force via Deutsche Post's international distribution centre in Niederaula, Germany. Signature required upon delivery but no customs charges. For information, Deutsche Post are owners of DHL so it would seem that the shipping method was DHL Global > Deutsche Post (Germany) > Local mail services.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yes, that "slight click" at 4:19 is on everybody's copy. On another topic: Many people have reported that they have been promised replacement copies for various single-disc problems in their copies of Spring 1990... Has anyone actually received a replacement disc yet? Please pipe up here when/if you get your problem solved -- Especially if you bothered to complain publicly, it's just the decent thing to do to publicly say "they made it right."
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey rrot - I recieved two Copps set one discs, and no set one for Hartford. I emailed customer service, they replied right away that they would mail a replacement. About 10 days later I emailed them again, and they emailed back almost immediately saying the replacement shipped on 9/5. I haven't recieved it yet, will post so others know what to expect. In all fairness to dead.net, this is the first problem I've had since I began ordering from them in 1998. Well that, and I still haven't recieved Dave's 3. I still haven't listened to the box (except Crap Centre disc 2 - I was there!) because I want to hear it all the way through, you guys are making me fiend.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

... safely in Leeds (UK) today. Looks beautiful - roll on Christmas when I can listen.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Ahhh...The good ol' negotiations with the other half, eh? I can empathize. It ain't easy for us music freaks to juggle finances/family and our obsessive need to devour the eternally discovered music we simply MUST buy!The Torture Never Stops. (poor us)
user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

I've listened to 3/16-22/90 and cannot find Jerry in the mix. He was well then - minus his diabetes, yes? Where did you put his vocals? Seriously: you put his voice primarily on the left channel but I find he is buried in the great music you created. David, I'm certain a whole host of folks have told you this! How could you NOT notice? To wit, Foolish Heart on 3/19/90! Where the hell is he? I have to admit, I haven't listened to the rest of the box. I am shocked. I am disgusted by a technology that can produce great concerts the way I always dreamed of but would leave Jerry buried. The surviving members and whatever corporate assistants they've arranged want to hit the "next generation" of kids who haven't heard of the band, and it's true, that age group tends to have the most disposable cash. If you really have 1500 more concerts that will ultimately get mixed down like this for more and more money, count me out. For the crazy price of keeping my seat on this bus for this kind of music, I'm on the last step out.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I received my box the day before my fiance and I left for a long drive to Chicago. I quickly ripped all the CDs at 320, put them on my iPod, and couldn't wait to listen to Copps on the drive. I found that I couldn't hear Jerry hardly at all without increasing the volume to uncomfortable levels. Being that I wasn't driving alone, this wasn't possible since I had to balance volume for reasonable listening and conversation. Still, it seems the only way to hear Jerry is with headphones.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi Rogo, I'm also in Leeds, UK and I'm still waiting for mine to turn up (along with the Dave Picks 3). Who delivered yours ? was it Parcelforce ?I've just had another wasted phone call to Dead.net and the girl said it was UPS Worldwide saver (but it might also be DHL !) .... basically been told to wait another week. Tony
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

An undertaking that does not know how it has sent goods. At one moment states that they have been sent by UPS and gives a tracking number and then, oops, no we really sent them by another means. If deadnet does not even know how the goods have been sent, it must leave a doubt that they have been sent. deadnet told me to wait 12 days, then 15 days and now ignore me. Thank heavens that there is always section 75 of the Consumer Protection Act, which for UK residents also covers purchases made abroad and over the Internet.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

An undertaking that does not know how it has sent goods. At one moment states that they have been sent by UPS and gives a tracking number and then, oops, no we really sent them by another means. If deadnet does not even know how the goods have been sent, it must leave a doubt that they have been sent. deadnet told me to wait 12 days, then 15 days and now ignore me. Thank heavens that there is always section 75 of the Consumer Protection Act, which for UK residents also covers purchases made abroad and over the Internet.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I am still waiting for my box set (as well as for DaP 3), have been given a case number (for DaP3), been told to wait (for Spring 90), nothing happens, no further response.Anybody else from Germany with the same problem? What a shame to wait such a long time, finally we get a release of a box set from the nineties and it seems to get lost during shipping....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

"Foolish Heart on 3/19/90! Where the hell is he?" Yeah, I can't hear him there either..........because I don't have that disk! Still waiting for a replacement and wondering if I'll get one at all. I don't trust their canned emails saying it's being sent. They keep saying that.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...are the PTB giving attention to the upkeep of the website? There are myriad bugs, missing features and overall problems that are making the 'upgrade' more of a 'retrograde'. Actually, I believe the problems began sometime last year with the disappearance of most of the Taper's Section archive, September was it? *screaming into an empty cavern* What is going on? Is this some kind of joke or what? Please fix the clunky website! Now back to regularly scheduled programming...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

To the guys plugging JGB below: Sporadically great music, but JG's junkie partner leaves a bad taste in many mouths.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

It arrived by Parcelforce and was left with a neighbour. It had previously travelled by Businesspaket through Deutscher Post.Hope you get yours soon. No customs charges.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

Michaaaaaa, "Lost during shipping"... I think that the reasonable inference is, not sent and that deadnet has no idea what it has sent and to whom. (Re my previous post - should have read Consumer Credit Act, which in an absence of a proper response, I will invoking at the end of next week. Then deadnet can ignore my bank rather than me.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

#8131 has arrived in France, with no additional customs charges! It looks wonderful and all the discs are correct. Many others are now appearing in the UK I hear, also without the customs charges. So the shipping arrangements do seem to be working, it appears they have shipped them in bulk to Germany and redistributed them from there. So well done Rhino/Deadnet for starting to get it right, all we need now is the addition of tracking capability. I really hope that everyone else gets theirs soon. Many of us who reported non receipt of DaP3 have now received a futher notification of the reissue of this for us. So if you are still missing that, get in touch with Dr Rhino quickly so they know how many to press. Now down to listening to those '90 shows
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Hey star dark before you throw stones were not jerry and brent junkies as well as many great musicians. not that brent is
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for the info ..... hopefully it'll come this week. Tony
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

What's this crap? http://musictoday.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/92/p/4 What a pain in the neck! What's the point of this exactly? How does this "protect" the CD contents? This may change my mind on buying them. Ridiculous number of steps and bother to get them onto iTunes. And I don't get the point. Is the point simply that they don't want you copying the songs so they make it difficult to do so? Then why would they give you instructions? Yeah, I just read it again. Major pain. I'm not buying this crap if they are making it that difficult to transfer the CD onto iTunes. They lost a sale to me and I hope others will tell them so also. I wrote to them.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

"... as of 2005!" What's your point? If it's true, it sucks! I've never bought a CD like that before. Dead.net doesn't do that. So are all the Jerry CD's going to have that crap?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I really do not want to defend the decision to NOT mix this box from the multi-tracks. But don't blame John Cutler for the dearth of Jerry's vocal on "Foolish Heart" (3/19). Listen carefully and you will hear that JG was mumbling like crazy. The words were barely escaping his mouth and although this could have been made louder on a more carefully-mixed song, do you really want to hear louder mumbling? I don't. This is why they make a "skip" button on CD players. It's just not a good performance.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Does it say somewhere on the release info that the new Jerry release will be DRM? I didn't see anything that indicated that the new cd uses that technology. Is it noted on another page?I remember around the time of this article in 2005, Sony was having some pissing contest with Apple because Apple was selling more music than Sony. I've never ran into this technology personally as collect mostly jazz pressed in small runs. Hardly a highly pirated market. I don't think it's going to help sales though if it were the case. Can you point me towards where the site is stating this is how they are releasing the New Jerry titles? I'm just not finding it. Thanks
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Today, we are pleased to announce the arrival of the SPRING !990 BOX SET It arrived on time at the precise location requested with no additional additions or subtractions, multiplications or divisions (We're all together on this) As the process unfolded there were squeals of joy from the new arrival. Wooo Sparkle-y ! Now all that needs is to transfer the little discs of joy to a more secure environment in which they may relax and recharge for the next performance. Now that that is done. Hey, Dave Isn't it time for a video chat ? Some new something about a Pick you got to Pick about a Pickin' and Grinnin' Good time. But if the heat is too much just slip into that green wetsuit and shot under water. Then we'll see what's goin' down. To the time of life when the time of life is NOW
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think the reference is to John Kahn (RIP) , who is believed by some for being responsible for leading Jerry astray during their collaborations. I reckon JG was probably capable of making his own choices, however painful they might have been.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

deleted
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Yep. I was kinda pissed at Jerry for his stupidity that killed him. Don't get me wrong, I loved the guy, he contributed a great deal to my life, and he was the greatest musician I've ever listened to. But even though he had diabetes he didn't exercise at all, lived on the couch, ate potato chips, and shot up H. Suicidal or what? Jerry was capable of making his own decisions and the biggest bad one he made was to not break up the Dead by the end of the '70's. I'm convinced he would have lived if the GD broke up back then. From all the articles and interviews I've read and heard, he wanted to do a lot more off shoot smaller venue stuff but he was too nice of a guy and saw that the GD organization grew into a behemoth that needed his life blood to survive. If he quit, there would have been a lot of people out of work. He was supporting a huge weight on his shoulders and got relief from it from drugs. Jerry would be alive today if the GD went away in the '70's and he just did his off-shoot smaller stuff, and I'd be very very happy with that.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Man I hope not, that would be a really foolish way to kick off a new Jerry collection. I really hope this is just rumors. I remember Trey Anastasio put out a CD with DRM that was produced by SONY, he really got slammed. Go check the reviews on Amazon, I think it was "Shine." A lot of Ipods would not load the music. Music companies know folks will share, they also know that any JGB stuff put out will sale well. Trying to muzzle it would be really stupid, other readers here are right. A huge backlash would come along with it. Phil
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

I wrote to them but haven't heard back. I suspect it's an article on their web site for some dumb reason but does not apply to the new Jerry music. If it doesn't apply, they should remove the article.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

Yes Im still waiting for the box. I see other people in europe have also been waiting, and it appears it may be slower to take delivery as there is no customs charge. I've had a regular rattle on about the extra charges for the first Daves Picks, so it would be great if thats to be no longer the case. However, it may be the ultimate irony that by not paying the charge it means the delivery gets lost. Hypnocracy lives on it seems! Anyway, I hope it does get through. Without a Net started it all for me and anything from 89-90 is welcome.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

I am enjoying this box set very much! Brings back a lot of memories as 3/19/90 was my first Dead show and its great having it on CD finally! I remember everything Dave talked about in the book as far as the weather(Bitter New England COLD!!), the ticket sales , tailgating in boring Hartford etc.... After listening to all the shows I'm glad I bought this! I think the Cap Center and the Knick(been there too) are my favorites! I also realized I didn't have the Winterland 77 box set, so I ordered that too! Let me ask, my copy came with a Bonus Disc, did they all come with that? Anyway, check out Scott McDougall's art website, Its awesome! There's a great painting of Pigpen which I hope will be the cover of DP 4! We need some more 60's Dead!! Take care folks and keep on Rockin'!!!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Where is Jerry???????? I love Brent and the drummers but for god sakes Cutler........WTF.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Has anyone received any replacement discs for this set yet. I am missing disc 2 from 4/2. Called right after i opened the set and was told 10 days called back 2 weeks late told its on its way another week later still no discs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

From wikipedia: In 2005, Sony BMG introduced new DRM technology which installed DRM software on users' computers without clearly notifying the user or requiring confirmation. Among other things, the installed software included a rootkit, which created a severe security vulnerability others could exploit. When the nature of the DRM involved was made public much later, Sony BMG initially minimized the significance of the vulnerabilities its software had created, but was eventually compelled to recall millions of CDs, and released several attempts to patch the surreptitiously included software to at least remove the rootkit. Several class action lawsuits were filed, which were ultimately settled by agreements to provide affected consumers with a cash payout or album downloads free of DRM.[47] Sony BMG's DRM software actually had only a limited ability to prevent copying, as it affected only playback on Windows computers, not on other equipment. Even on the Windows platform, users regularly bypassed the restrictions. And, while the Sony BMG DRM technology created fundamental vulnerabilities in customers' computers, parts of it could be trivially bypassed by holding down the "shift" key while inserting the CD, or by disabling the autorun feature. In addition, audio tracks could simply be played and re-recorded, thus completely bypassing all of the DRM (this is known as the analog hole). Sony BMG's first two attempts at releasing a patch which would remove the DRM software from users' computers failed. In January 2007, EMI stopped publishing audio CDs with DRM, stating that "the costs of DRM do not measure up to the results."[48] Following EMI, Sony BMG was the last publisher to abolish DRM completely, and audio CDs containing DRM are no longer released by the four record labels.[49] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#Audio_CDs http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2008-01-04/sony-bmg-plans-to-drop-d…
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Yes both Winterland box sets still have a bonus disc included in them. At least the two that I ordered years after the release date did. It was kind of a nice surprise to see them in there!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Yes both Winterland box sets still have a bonus disc included in them. At least the two that I ordered years after the release date did. It was kind of a nice surprise to see them in there!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I wonder if something was adjusted mid-production(?!?) JG's guitar is plenty loud (though not overly so) on my set.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Absolutely - he was a grown man, after all. But that doesn't mean we must embrace the choices, behavior, etc. of his long list of sycophants, hangers-on, and enablers(!) And no, the irony is not lost on me - I understand the role fandom played in his protracted demise.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Kindly check your replacement discs to see if they are actually what you needed.Mine arrived today, except the wrong disc was sent. Ugh......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

My replacement disc was waiting for me when I got home from work.....Same thing right show wrong disc now have 3 disc 3 from 4/2/1990 no disc 2
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

Yes, in fact I did receive the correct replacement disc 3 of 3/16/90 today,and in fact do continue to enjoy the tunes. Thanks dead.net, rhino, and Keep'em Comin'!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I just received the replacement of disc 3 of 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum. I also got the email today that the disc had shipped, so I kind of expected it would arrive today. Checked the disc with EAC and it tested fine. When I saw that wrong discs were sent out I did a quick listen to make sure the music matched the label. Everything seems fine on my end at this point, although I'll have to listen to it tomorrow.Too bad some of you got the wrong replacements. Bummer, after the long wait. Hope it works out for you guys.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

This may be nitpicking but as far as Jerry's vices are concerned I'm pretty sure "shooting" H was not one of them. Maybe I'm looking back at out-dated material but from what I read he didn't like needles and rather smoked the shit (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). AND (this really does fall into the nitpicking category) it wasn't potato chips so much as the Hagendasz ice cream, at least from what I've read. Does anyone out there think that his diet played as big a role in his death as his heroin habit?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

I am now told that a "replacement" box will be sent. As the website indicates that a final delivery of the product is awaited, who knows when this will be? If something does eventually come it will quite possibly be when I am out of the country; sorry I cannot arrange my life around the failures of deadnet. It is difficult to credit the incompetence of the system. One person in Leeds gets a delivery, another person does not. In my case, there appears to be a fear of crossing the border into Wales. My long experience of both Parcelforce and Deutsche Post tells me that the failure has nothing to do with them but whatever half arsed system deadnet chose to use.
user picture

Member for

16 years

Neither have arrived in New Brighton (Wirral) in the U.K. as of yet despite having received despatch confirmations for both weeks ago. I e-mailed Customer Support who advised me to give the box set until 23rd September. The matter of the DP Volume 3 is more cloudy....i was told that hundreds of copies went missing in the mail and the item is being re-pressed...a copy will be despatched mid-October ???. Plainly and simply...there is no logical reason why there should be such a foul-up sending parcels from country to country. I just feel highly embarassed for Rhino and GDM....they just look like a right old laughing stock !. Waiting, Ian.
product sku
GRA9900088