• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

I have just received an email, 25 September, asking me to be patient re the arrival of S90. However, I emailed on 19 September to say that it had arrived and received a reply on 20 September in confirmation.It would seem that there is a lack of order and organisation. I have replied, pasting the pertinent thread. Hey ho!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Once it arrives, you forget the trepidation, the suspense and the anger. The box is beautifully produced. If I only had the cd trays with cd's and the white book, I would still be satisfied, but the extras are nice, even if you never look at them again. I guess that's what makes one a collector. If the lettering on the cd's is anaything to go by, I received all the right cd's, but I guess I have to test them to be sure. Sound is absolutely fine with me, based on the first half of the first cd.In a way it may even sound more like the 70's than like WaN; a nice mix. With QJA I notice that Bobby sounds really upfront (nice) and the drums sound a little synthetic (less nice, but not really grating to the ears). In the end I may buy Formerly the Warlocks and Terrapin Limited as well; it's still not my favorite period, but it's a testament to their longevity, and really a kind of last hurrah I think. This time I had to pay another $ 40 to get it (VAT + import taxes), a case of tough luck, as simonrob indicated: E72 I got for "free"... Which bring me back to my initial comment: it's easy to forget all the frustration if, in the end (and not dramatically late following the initial September 1 release date) you receive what you ordered and what you paid for. However, considering the loyal fan base, the not extremely low prices and the experience many Dead heads have when ordering from other web sites, there is a lot of room for improvement. I sincerely hope that tptb read through the somewhat offensive language used sometimes and get to the bottom of this. The music selected is generally very good (but that's not your achievement), mastering is fine as well, packaging is great (you listen to customers in this respect). BUT: quality control in packaging (the right cd's, not damaged) and logistics (speedy delivery) leaves a lot to be desired. (BTW, powerful build up / ending of Loser!, May be in my top 5). All in all, a very welcome release!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Just got back from 10 days holiday to find an invoice from ParcelForce for UKP32.01 (18.51 import VAT + 13.50 handling charge) or USD51.75. Paid online this morning and scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Invoice contained a tracking number which revails that the box arrived in the UK from Germany on 14th September and spent around 5 days in UK customs before arriving here in Aberdeen on 20th September. Parcel tracking details Parcel number: EC861775355GB Status: Held Date Time Location Tracking Event 26-09-2012 08:54 Aberdeen Depot Delivery scheduled 20-09-2012 10:49 Aberdeen Depot Awaiting payment of charges 20-09-2012 09:14 Aberdeen Depot Received at delivery depot 19-09-2012 06:35 National Hub Received and processed 19-09-2012 02:53 International Hub Revised charges to be paid 19-09-2012 02:49 International Hub Forwarded for UK processing 18-09-2012 12:10 International Hub Awaiting Customs Charging 14-09-2012 19:13 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance 14-09-2012 19:11 International Hub Received in destination country
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I wish I could've afforded to buy a couple more of it!I Granted, there are a couple of spots where the mix could be a little better but overall, I'm one VERY happy camper! Kudos, and as far as favorite shows, you've got to be kidding, each show smokes!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still diggin' the It's All Over Now from 3/19/90, just outstanding keyboardsmanship by the veteren (10years,10months,26days) Mydland. I hear some of what the audiophiles with their logic plugins analysing each tracks peaks and valleys are talkin' about, there are points where Jer just fades out of the mix but I think it's more of a laying back by Jer to let the band swing and besides he's 10million sheets to the wind at this period of his life so the fatigue is very apparent. But the rest of the band is ON FIRE ! ! ! No wonder the post98 bands have been swingin like it's 1967 all over, I want some official release of the new Further songs especially the triple threat that ends with Big Bad Blues, Yeah Bobby !!
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

.........although there has been some acknowledgement of my continuing dilemma. E-mailed Dr Rhino days ago....no answer !. Got in touch with Customer Service who replied within 24 hours to state that my account will be credited with 20 dollars and a promise to locate and deliver my product within the next 7 days. If both those things happen, I'll hold my hands up and admit that someone cares about the victims of this carnival of errors. Oh, and will all the hassle stop me making future purchases ?.....not a chance....I love the Dead and will not cut off my nose to spite my face. Ian.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

And so is North Yorkshire. It would be interesting to know how many more heads who ordered right at the start are still waiting..... and waiting.......and waiting!!!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

a grateful dead where jerry is not the focus so sad
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I called customer service about 4 weeks ago regarding my cracked disc dilemma. They said it would take a while. No problem. Called again last night, and they stated that they are still waiting for a 3-16-90 disc 3 replacement, so it will still be some time. No worries, I just hope it gets here soon...... Still love the box, anxiously awaiting Dave's Picks Volume 4, hoping it's either 6-30-85, 7-1-85 or both!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

...by far of this band. I taped the 3/30/90 show off the radio myself and my brother taped 3/26/90 and so these are considerable upgrades of 2 of my favorite tapes. I really only wish they could have included all of the shows - was at 3/28/90 and 3/29/90 is a must also, as are the other Hartford and the other Atlanta shows. In terms of the mix, I think it is true to the mix that was happening onstage. Jerry sounds a bit muted during Picasso Moon at times, for example, but he was using heavy distortion and some kind of compressor and that's how he sounded in the mix when you were there. Doing it after the fact is a bit artificial, although Cutler was in the truck mixing down the 16 feeds as they came in and optimizing them the same way he would now.And everyone's preferences are different regarding a mix - some like a matrix, some like auds, some like more sterile sounding sbds - there's no pleasing everyone so I think they did a great job. Finally just some comments on the period - by convention, all second sets after about 1979 were listed with Drums and Space in them. But if you listen to 3/22/90 at Copps, for example, the last several minutes of Truckin is a clear Other One jam, then into a similarly themed drums, a space segment that again is clearly an Other One jam, and then 7 minutes of the Other One. So even though the setlist reads Truckin>D>S>OtherOne and the Other One is under 7 minutes, in 1972 this whole track would have been listed as Truckin>The Other One with The Other One clocking in near 30 minutes. Anothe thing that is real interesting is the profound difference between the Eyes in Hartford - a magnificent uptempo version to be sure that takes its roots from many of the late 80's versions - and the Eyes that was played just a few days later in Nassau, which was significantly slowed down and frankly ahd a much sweeter groove that the two drummers really jumped all over. And maybe Jerry consciously slowed it down because of the presence of Branford Marsalis, but every version I've heard after that had that same tempo and those booming, low end drums that were so sweet. So sorry some of you have had trouble with shipping but would love to engage in a discussion about the music.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

What follows below is a letter I sent to the vault. I was inspired to write after reading the comments on this board and the trouble I had with my Europe '72 purchase. Dear Dave, Years ago i spoke with Dick Latvala who told me that things were taking an uneasy turn for the worse, but I bet he NEVER suspected what would eventually become of the Dead organization. I've been mail-ordering tickets and merchandise since the 80's, always a wonderful experience. I've got EVERYTHING EVER released except for "greatest hits" compilations and the Spring '90 box. (more on that below) I'm a subscriber of YOUR series, and I must say, I'm loving it, especially Volume 3! Damn, Keith sure could tickle the ivories when he wanted to! I completely respect and almost always agree with your opinions on the music, and I LOVE the videos - keep 'em comin! I think you're serving the memory of Dick pretty well. Now, here's my issue. You're going to lose me as a customer. Actually, you already have. I didn't order the Spring '90 set and as much as I love 'em, I won't be ordering next year's subscription to your series. I WANT TO! But I can't. The customer service and product quality has gotten so bad, I can't gamble with my money anymore. I would be writing them this message (actually I have, they never respond) but I thought since you seem to be a sincere, decent person who actually cares about the music, much like myself, I thought I'd take a chance and write you. I've had my Europe '72 set for a year and a week. Still haven't received my replacement discs. I call now and then, drop customer service an email here and there, but nothing. No one cares. They have my money. Why should they respond? This is where YOU come in, Dave. See, When I spoke to Dick 15 years ago, (I had burned him some CDs and he called to thank me.) he lamented the fact that big, bad "corporate" folks were trying to muscle in on the sacred organization he had grown to know and love. It was coming, he knew it. He assured me, however, that if/when that day came, there would still be people who made sure that the fans were treated right and fair, and that the music would be respected. And whether he knew it at the time or not, it was people like YOU he was refering to. YOU are now carrying that torch! Which is why I'm writing. People are angry and hurt. They feel ripped off. Have you read the message boards for Spring '90? What's wrong with Rhino? YOU know there's a problem yet you champion them in your videos and defend and promote products like Spring '90 when you know that many people will be ripped off and cheated out of their money! YOU are a good person! PLEASE don't let the powers that be get away with this. It's a disgrace the way customers are being treated by Rhino and in turn, the Dead organization. Other music mail order companies don't do this! I order from Zappa, Phish, Allmans, String Cheese, NEVER a problem, or if there is one, I'm confident they'll provide service. I'VE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THE DEAD ORGANIZATION. Ask yourself...What would Dick have said about the disgraceful way fans of this music are being treated now? What would Jerry have said? Other than my conversation with Dick, I don't know him or Jerry, but I do know that they would have been appalled. I believe you probably are too. PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!! MAKE A PUBLIC STATEMENT THROUGH ONE OF YOUR VIDEOS OR SOME OTHER WAY, BUT MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT THIS TRAVESTY WILL END!!!! IT HAS TO!! I want to resubscribe to Dave's Picks, but I won't do it now, not with things like they are. PLEASE - MAKE DICK PROUD!!! Do the right thing Dave!!!!!! Sincerely, John Coley P.S. - Even though this would have been the perfect opportunity to release 8-27-72 audio & video (40th Anniversary), thank you for not doing it now, while it would have been subjected to poor quality control and customer service. Save it for when things get better. And they will - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

What follows below is a letter I sent to the vault. I was inspired to write after reading the comments on this board and the trouble I had with my Europe '72 purchase. Dear Dave, Years ago i spoke with Dick Latvala who told me that things were taking an uneasy turn for the worse, but I bet he NEVER suspected what would eventually become of the Dead organization. I've been mail-ordering tickets and merchandise since the 80's, always a wonderful experience. I've got EVERYTHING EVER released except for "greatest hits" compilations and the Spring '90 box. (more on that below) I'm a subscriber of YOUR series, and I must say, I'm loving it, especially Volume 3! Damn, Keith sure could tickle the ivories when he wanted to! I completely respect and almost always agree with your opinions on the music, and I LOVE the videos - keep 'em comin! I think you're serving the memory of Dick pretty well. Now, here's my issue. You're going to lose me as a customer. Actually, you already have. I didn't order the Spring '90 set and as much as I love 'em, I won't be ordering next year's subscription to your series. I WANT TO! But I can't. The customer service and product quality has gotten so bad, I can't gamble with my money anymore. I would be writing them this message (actually I have, they never respond) but I thought since you seem to be a sincere, decent person who actually cares about the music, much like myself, I thought I'd take a chance and write you. I've had my Europe '72 set for a year and a week. Still haven't received my replacement discs. I call now and then, drop customer service an email here and there, but nothing. No one cares. They have my money. Why should they respond? This is where YOU come in, Dave. See, When I spoke to Dick 15 years ago, (I had burned him some CDs and he called to thank me.) he lamented the fact that big, bad "corporate" folks were trying to muscle in on the sacred organization he had grown to know and love. It was coming, he knew it. He assured me, however, that if/when that day came, there would still be people who made sure that the fans were treated right and fair, and that the music would be respected. And whether he knew it at the time or not, it was people like YOU he was refering to. YOU are now carrying that torch! Which is why I'm writing. People are angry and hurt. They feel ripped off. Have you read the message boards for Spring '90? What's wrong with Rhino? YOU know there's a problem yet you champion them in your videos and defend and promote products like Spring '90 when you know that many people will be ripped off and cheated out of their money! YOU are a good person! PLEASE don't let the powers that be get away with this. It's a disgrace the way customers are being treated by Rhino and in turn, the Dead organization. Other music mail order companies don't do this! I order from Zappa, Phish, Allmans, String Cheese, NEVER a problem, or if there is one, I'm confident they'll provide service. I'VE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THE DEAD ORGANIZATION. Ask yourself...What would Dick have said about the disgraceful way fans of this music are being treated now? What would Jerry have said? Other than my conversation with Dick, I don't know him or Jerry, but I do know that they would have been appalled. I believe you probably are too. PLEASE DO SOMETHING!!! MAKE A PUBLIC STATEMENT THROUGH ONE OF YOUR VIDEOS OR SOME OTHER WAY, BUT MAKE PEOPLE AWARE THAT THIS TRAVESTY WILL END!!!! IT HAS TO!! I want to resubscribe to Dave's Picks, but I won't do it now, not with things like they are. PLEASE - MAKE DICK PROUD!!! Do the right thing Dave!!!!!! Sincerely, John Coley P.S. - Even though this would have been the perfect opportunity to release 8-27-72 audio & video (40th Anniversary), thank you for not doing it now, while it would have been subjected to poor quality control and customer service. Save it for when things get better. And they will - I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

The announcement for the fourth and final installment (this year) of Dave's Picks is well behind schedule based on the trend for the previous three. I have no doubts that this is due to the quality control issues. How it embarassing it must be to have the fourth installment ready for release when a percentage of purchasers haven't even received the third installment yet (if ever)!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

To those waiting for a replacement disc, hang in there. Mine arrived on Tuesday, hopefully everyone else gets thiers too. Thanks to Marye and the others who helped.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I agree - Jerry was beginning to pull back at this point, which is why I much prefer Summer '89 to Spring '90. There's a Not Fade Away on youtube (I believe from 7/17/89) that fully captures the mood of that magical season. JG and the others were TRULY on fire - as animated and energetic as during any of their last 10 years.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Still waitin', I'm STILL waitin'I ordered the box the day after it was announced,Customer care sent me a mail on Sept 2 telling me that the box had left the building,and here I am,still no dice. Received a mal a week or so ago asking me how did I like my boxset. I replied,what boxset?,they got back to me apologizing and offering a full refund since they didn't have a spare box set to send... But WAIT! The next day,new mail telling me that,no,they did not intend to offer me a full refund but only a 10% rebate,since after all people were sill receiving their boxes and they were investigating on the matter. It is sept 27th. True,I live in Europe,and it takes a while,but 25 frigging day? What a debacle this has been..I've purchased many many items in the past,from dead.net and never had a problem,but this is just terrible. It's like,they don't WANT our money... The music is available,in excellent quality around. We buy what we buy because we like to have the artifact,and maybe,at least for me,because it seems the right thing to do,given the amount of music shared freely elesewhere. You nderstand that,right? Please,get your act together,for the love of the music... Peace out, Dario (I'm sure if/when I'll finally receive the box I'll be so awe-struck that everything will be forgotten,and I'll keep buying,like a moth ever closing in to the light...)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Still waitin', I'm STILL waitin'I ordered the box the day after it was announced,Customer care sent me a mail on Sept 2 telling me that the box had left the building,and here I am,still no dice. Received a mal a week or so ago asking me how did I like my boxset. I replied,what boxset?,they got back to me apologizing and offering a full refund since they didn't have a spare box set to send... But WAIT! The next day,new mail telling me that,no,they did not intend to offer me a full refund but only a 10% rebate,since after all people were sill receiving their boxes and they were investigating on the matter. It is sept 27th. True,I live in Europe,and it takes a while,but 25 frigging day? What a debacle this has been..I've purchased many many items in the past,from dead.net and never had a problem,but this is just terrible. It's like,they don't WANT our money... The music is available,in excellent quality around. We buy what we buy because we like to have the artifact,and maybe,at least for me,because it seems the right thing to do,given the amount of music shared freely elesewhere. You nderstand that,right? Please,get your act together,for the love of the music... Peace out, Dario (I'm sure if/when I'll finally receive the box I'll be so awe-struck that everything will be forgotten,and I'll keep buying,like a moth ever closing in to the light...)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

I wish @wharfrattx and @whupumpkin the best. I hope you to actually receive your order, and wharfrattx to get Dave to read his letter. However I think the chances are slim to none. I had my 5th phone call with dead.net customer disservice today to find out where my refund is, more than a week after they told me Spring 90 was never going to be in stock, and I would get a refund. Today's clueless CSR said my account was notated with "sending replacement" - A week ago I was told definitively that there were no more, yet my order is still active? Again, and I hate to vent dirty laundry and beat a dead horse (and whatever other cliches apply) but this has gotten beyond ridiculous. DEAD.NET/RHINO customer service has moved into the category of one of worst customer service experiences I've ever had. I've been ripped off on the internet by people that were more reliable than DEAD.NET/RHINO. This has to stop - I will never buy another recording from this joke of a company. Sorry guys, this isn't the Grateful Dead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I just received the Garcia/Saunders set of the complete live Keystone recordings from 1973. For those complaining about Jerry's sound/commitment in 1990-go get this box. About 7 unreleased tracks added to the previously released material and all music well remastered. Some goodies in the box also for us collectors. don't get this wrong-I'm liking the 1990 set just fine but 1973 was amazing and the Merl/Jerry symbiosis is very unique and was a big formative experience for Jerry(and Merl also apparently from David Gan's excellent notes). The box is available at the usual sources-surprised NO MENTION OF IT HERE. Oh well it isn't a Rhino product-it is Concord-home of many great jazz issues/reissues. Check it out if you haven't discovered it yet.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

if you take away the box and all the extras that nobody really cares about all that is left is the shows right? so why still charge the same price ?just download for free from frostwire lol
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

eBay is always a good indicator of fair market value of an item. It seems that $200 may not be all that exaggerated after all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well it took 28 days , but it's here.I had to pay £28.00 in VAT & other charges , oh well some you win some you loose! I've checked my discs are all correct , & bingo I've been lucky. This box & contents look fabulous , it's been constructed with a great deal of thought & attention . It's really quite something , lovely. I've not had chance to hear a note yet , but am looking forward to ploughing through. I hope those who are still waiting get theirs too , this so called organisation , needs to learn a lot from this shockingly poor shipping system (lack of) that they operate . My previous order for Daves picks took a mind numbing 53 days to arrive!! Things have to get better , the whiff of the backlash from these posts can be smelt from the UK & it ain't nice. My emails have however all been answered , though no proper solutions or answers were in their contents. I hope things are better next time around. Good luck to all you other 'heads , hope it all works out for you all..... I'll leave another post once I've listened to this beast of a box
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

if the problem persists, please send me your order details and I'll see if a better result can be produced. Thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

I just got off the phone with customer service. I had called last weekend after first discovering the cracked disc. Apparently whoever I spoke to late Saturday night had never put the request in. When I called today I got worse news. They have no idea when the disc will be replaced as they would have to have the manufacturer which I guess would be Rhino press it. With the box sets backordered it's obvious there are no replacement discs lying around. The CS agent said I would be contacted in 48-72 hours with a more definitive answer. I asked about contacting DrRhino and CS said they are handling all box set problems. I said simply this if the disc can't be replaced in a reasonable time I would want to send the box set back for a complete refund. Discs cost near nothing to make, a couple of pennies if that. If your selling 9000 box sets there should be minimum of 90 duplicates for each disc should there be an issue. That is a 1% failure rate which is not unreasonable. The fact that they are having problems delivering the remaining sets tells you that the pressing plant is having issues.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

Thanks to Mary (marye) for getting my information to Sam at Dead.net. In less than two hours, they were able to accomplish what 8+ emails and 5+ phone calls were unable to do - get me refunded for the Spring 90 debacle. I with there was more transparency with Dead.net right now, I feel like there are significant issues that us customers with credit-card in hand should know about. Why were Spring 90 orders simply cancelled? What happened to the remaining inventory of product? Why were the tracking numbers all screwed up? And why were so many sets "lost in the mail"? None of this makes sense, and I wish someone would come and explain it to us, if simply for our own piece of mind. I also was given a 25% off coupon should I decide to ever shop at dead.net again...that's yet to be determined. Thanks to those who helped, thanks to those who've been following the story. For those of you still waiting for your set, I hope it works out smoothly. "If you get confused listen to the music play"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Maybe when you are advertising selling only 9000 you assume there will be a higher rate of lost merch or defectibve stuff and make an extra 500 sets or so. Then when you've sold 9000, you ship em all out, give people a few months to get everything straightened out, and if there are some left, you then sell them as non-nnumbered extras. This way nobody ends up without this set who wants it. The other idea - release the rest of the shows as part 2 immediately.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

The only reason they had to cancel is the quality control of the sets. On one hand people like myself are trying to get defective discs replaced and on the other hand by filling orders you are opening yourself up for more replacement discs. I truly believe the goal was to produce 9000 sets and no more. I use to buy box CD sets all the time when Tower Records was still in business. I never saw customers returning defective CD's. The process in making CD's is pretty seamless. There shouldn't be this many defective discs. The message posts don't tell the whole story. How many customers had problems who never posted a message and spoke directly with customer service. I think the issue is twofold. The discs were seated in so tight to the cases that it near impossible to remove them without some of them cracking. This is inexcusable as the cases could have been made with spring loaded releases. Many of discs were inherently weak in the manufacturing process and had small cracks at the center that expanded once they removed from the case. It would not surprise me if Grateful Dead never sold a limited edition again
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

At long last it has arrived and wow Deat.Net you must be pretty pissed with your postal contractors - from the tracking info it took my box over a week to Germany where it was holed up for 2 weeks and then another week in the UK and then I get stiffed for £13.50 PostOffice charges on top of VAT for speedy delivery - ho ho they have a sense of humour. But the box seems to make up for it - well done - and makes me kick myself again - I was in New York at the the time of the concerts and had tried to find out some time before going if there were any in the area - it must have been before the tour was announced as the answer was no - it wasn't until Dozin' At .. came out i found out -- but I caught the Dead at Wembley in the Autumn to make up for it. Carry on Dead.net Mon, 03.09.12 04:39 h IPZ-Ffm, Germany The shipment has arrived in the destination country Mon, 03.09.12 18:12 h Rodgau, Germany The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin Tue, 04.09.12 04:13 h Köln, Germany The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center Tue, 18.09.12 05:12 h Köln, Germany The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: ) Wed, 19.09.12 19:16 h United Kingdom The shipment has arrived in the destination country Wed, 19.09.12 19:20 h United Kingdom Shipment is prepared for customs clearance in country of destination Mon, 24.09.12 05:10 h United Kingdom The shipment has left the import parcel center in the destination country. Mon, 24.09.12 23:21 h United Kingdom The shipment is being prepared for delivery in the delivery depot Thu, 27.09.12 12:46 h United Kingdom The shipment has been successfully delivered
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hey folks at Dead.net or Dead Community, Wouldn't it be great to have i-tunes and whatever it uses to have the artwork, cd title and track titles in a common format for this and all other releases. it would really save a lot of hassle and get some order in the 340 plus Dead CD's I have. Kind regards S
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Most of the delay and "lost" problems reported have been out of the hands of dead.net -- not their fault, though they take all the heat -- but rather the fault of postal carriers and/or customs authorities. Most folks with individual disc problems are reporting that their discs are getting replaced. I will be very surprised if dead.net do not do more limited edition releases. They sell out -- and they are mostly very well received (in all senses of that word). Well, the late Brent-era band has now seen the most lavish release set ever. I suppose that will put paid to the theory that there is an insider conspiracy to focus exclusively on "the 70s" and disrespect all the Touch-era fans. Or not. But it's a fact that no pre-hiatus era of the band has been treated so well release-wise! So we lovers of the '67-'74 band must have something amazing in store down the line, no? Avalon Ballroom box? Avalon Ballroom box!
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

I whole heartedly agree that the '89-'90 era has certainly been treated well over the last few years. Don't get me wrong, I love '89 -90 but I would like to see some more '67-'72(late) released. DP3 is awesome, now keep going back in time!:) Fortunately, I have had good luck receiving my products on time here in MA but I have more CDs that skip from Rhino than anywhere else. I have also had good luck exchanging them with cust. service so my heart goes out to those who haven't because I've had that trouble with other companies and it's a real pisser! Anyway, lets hope they have learned from this and things will be better! You can announce DP4 anytime too!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm glad you got this resolved, but in all honesty I had nothing do to with it, coming along after the fact! Meanwhile, I hope other folks are also getting things resolved; if not, lemme know.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

"But it's a fact that no pre-hiatus era of the band has been treated so well release-wise! So we lovers of the '67-'74 band must have something amazing in store down the line, no?" Between the FW'69 box, which I missed out on, the Winterland '73 box, two of the three "From The Vault" sets, 20 of the 36 Dick's Picks, more than a third of the Download Series, and especially the E'72 box, inculding the release of all 24 shows individually and the compilation CD, oh yeah, and more than a third of the Road Trips releases and two out of the three Dave's Picks, the pre-haitus version of the band is more represented release-wise than any other era. As far as '89-'90 goes, there are so many nuggets from those two years alone, that, in my opinion, outshine everything else they did before or after. Jerry was healthy and sober, Brent was on fire and the rest of the band was killing it. Even the worst shows from this time excite me more than the vast majority of the Keith and Donna offerings. Fortunately, in '89-'90, bad shows were far and few between.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yeah, what he said...Gawd I hate these accidental double posts...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My copy of Keystone Companions arrived today. I'm listening to CD1 right now, the sound is prestine quality. I love this stuff, always have. My favorite Pure Jerry is this band. The packageing is really nice and well done. Highly recomended to all. I bet we will find out about DP4 on Monday. Maybe we will get a 30 Days of Dead? I hope so, be a nice bonus. Sorry to read that folks are still having trouble with this release. I have not checked the DP3 thread in a while. They sure have had their share of problems this year. I'll keep on buying this stuff as I'm an addict and have to have it. Keep jamming.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

DICK'S PICKS ON VINYL - Just Announced Brookvale Records just announced the release of the Dick's Picks Series on VINYL for the first time. These releases are an official release between Brookvale Records and The Dead. You can read the whole story at: http://brookvalerecords.com/the-grateful-dead-dicks-picks-vol-1-vol-2-n…
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Very curious here what the cause of the shipping problems have been with DaP3 and the 90 box. Rrot, you state that the fault lies with the US post office. Is there any evidence to support that claim or are you just guessing? I find that very doubtful but would be interested to know what really happened. Dead.net has been fairly tight lipped about it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Not only have Dead.net been tight lipped about the cause of the postage issues, but given the problems with cracked & duplicated discs (which I fear I might still have to face should S'90 ever actually materialise), and the fact that the tracking simply doesn't work, the majority of the issues appear to lie closer to home.The important thing is surely to learn from this release - but I seem to recall that we said exactly the same thing about Europe '72!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

"you state that the fault lies with the US post office" No. I didn't say the US post office. But several international posters have given the specific information about the travels of their packages. That information shows pretty clearly that delays approaching 2 weeks have been due to postal authorities. (Interesting that this calls for "evidence" -- but assumptions about GD/Rhino holding back copies, not having any allowance for bad discs, etc. are all stated with authority and no evidence is ever given or asked!) ... "the pre-haitus version of the band is more represented release-wise than any other era" vs "no pre-hiatus era of the band has been treated so well release-wise!" What that means, obviously, is that no era has ever seen such a lavish, beautifully polished set. Yes, there have been better, more attentive mixes (sadly, we may never again see something as careful and detailed as "Two from the Vault"), and there have been releases in greater quantity (1977 and 1972 have probably seen the most shows released, I'd guess). But nothing, not even the Europe '72 box, has really touched the overall treatment of this single release. In. My. Opinion. (And, though I love it, I could never agree that there is much from the '89-'90 band that puts in the shade everything else the band has ever done. Frankly that sounds crazy to me -- or just overstated for dramatic effect. I feel just the opposite is true: There are vast amounts of fabulous, compelling material from 1969 to 1977, full-band interplay that shows clearly how hard they were listening to each other, that can't even be touched by almost anything that was done in the Brent/Vince days. But again, just an opinion.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 9 months

The delay on my receipt of the product was certainly nothing to do with the postal service. Deadnet would also appear to have caused confusion by not putting a value of the product on the packaging. Without this, customs authorities cannot levy the appropriate IVA/VAT. It is still completely unclear as to how the goods were brought into the EU; they clearly were not sent directly to the home countries of the purchasers. The goods were liable to IVA and so either some of us have not paid IVA and should have, or others have paid IVA twice. The simple thing is for Deadnet to actually explain how the goods were sent to the EU (and to avoid using the same system).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well After 2 weeks still no replacement CD's as promised. This after the incorrect replacement CD was sent to me. I keep the faith that they will get it right..... :) Positive Focus!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well After 2 weeks still no replacement CD's as promised. This after the incorrect replacement CD was sent to me.I keep the faith that they will get it right..... :) Positive Focus!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

It's just arrived up here in the darkest corner of North-East England, and, looking at the stickers on the outside of the package, it was sent from Germany "premium" (no date) and received and assessed for additional charges in the UK on 13 September. Whilst it's a little steep to incur $35.95 postage for an untracked package, at least the bulk of the delay was not down to Dead.Net. Got stung for £19.77 value added tax (just a little contribution to the cost of David Cameron appearing on "Letterman") and £13.50 "handling charge". There was no sign of the value of the set on the outside of the parcel and the VAT charge is less than it should have been so things are finally looking up! Beautiful beast of a box...just about to write off the rest of October in a darkened room turned up to 11!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

A few points I would like to make after listening for a week: 1. I had March 24 already, but I believe that, with DitN plus the bonus tracks on this set, we now officially have the complete March 24 concert, except for Desolation row (a pity, see below) and OMSN. 2. I always thought that I was a 60's/70's Deadhead, but I listened to the whole box (and parts more than once), and I still have not listened to every E72 release that I have for a year. This is confusing, and slightly worrying. They are playing SO well, SO obviously having fun and sounding SO great, it's easy to see that this period is considered a late 'hurrah'. Although I liked the Marsalis bit, I never cared that much for WaN, Dozing, Nightfall, DP9 and even DL 9, Crimson and Truckin'. I never even ordered Terrapin Limited and Formerly the Warlocks. RT2.1 had me start reconsidering, but amazingly I feel slightly ashamed that there really is so much good music here that I kind of ignored. 3. Setlists are setlists, but what I would like from this period (please?) is more Dylan, an Althea, TLEO and more Eyes (and I could do with less Victims and Easy to love you's, two really awful songs, but that's me). Cheers
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

"1. I had March 24 already, but I believe that, with DitN plus the bonus tracks on this set, we now officially have the complete March 24 concert, except for Desolation row (a pity, see below) and OMSN." Desolation Row actually appears on "Postcards." Therefore, the full 3/24 show has been released...just in bits and chunks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

if the problem persists, lemme know.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

"Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It" will be released as a 4 LP set on 180g vinyl by Friday Music on November 27. Less good news is that the "Dick's Picks" vinyl reissues are mastered from the 16-bit CDs as the master tapes are not available to Brookvale Records.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I stand (happily) corrected!
product sku
GRA9900088