• 82 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Two complete acoustic sets from Warfield shows in October 1980, celebrating the Grateful Dead's 15th Anniversary. A perfect blending of older cuts from Dead's extensive repertoire, these two sets include such classics as Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Bird Song, Monkey and the Engineer, and To Lay Me Down, amongst many others, with each set ending with Ripple.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sun King

got up this morning and decided to spin these 2 lp's. beautiful acoustic dead.

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday....."

• Thetentman

Of course, I knew that posting a comment yesterday would lead to another email today and I was right. This site still sucks.

• Thetentman

I was going to let this go. The company reached out to me and made things right. BUT, they keep sending me emails saying this CD is going fast. It is not. It is out of stock since at least December of 2020. This is the third email I have gotten in the last month. And I already have it. What would Jerry do?

• Thetentman

I just got my third email this week from Dead.net saying the Warfield show was going fast and I should return and buy it. Uh-huh. It is not in stock. It is not going ANYWHERE fast. This is the worst place to buy the Dead. Amazon, eBay, and Etsy are all better. This place is FUBAR.

• wilfredtjones

If the chocolate ice cream is sold out, opt for a scoop of Butter Pecan. :-)

• Thetentman

Today I got an email from Dr. Rhino, apologizing for the screw-ups and giving me a 15% coupon. I replied and thanked him. I thought that was nice and it was over. WRONG! 5 minutes later I got an email from Dead.net saying to hurry back and buy it cause it was going fast. It is, of course, not there. WWJD? What would Jerry do?
    Caveat Emptor

• wilfredtjones

Maybe they are just messing with you at this point?

P.S. Me no robot

• Thetentman

Once again the morons that run this site sent me another email saying it was here and going fast. It was not and it is not. They are MORONS. Buy your Dead anywhere else but here.

• Thetentman

The CLOWNS that run this clusterf##k of a company just sent me another email saying that this was back in stock. It is not. They are idiots. Buy anywhere else but here.

• Thetentman

Thank you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month
Two complete acoustic sets from Warfield shows in October 1980, celebrating the Grateful Dead's 15th Anniversary. A perfect blending of older cuts from Dead's extensive repertoire, these two sets include such classics as Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Bird Song, Monkey and the Engineer, and To Lay Me Down, amongst many others, with each set ending with Ripple.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Glad to see this available for all who missed out on RSD.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

And sorry for suckers like me. My record store got shut out, so I took RSD, Rhino, et al at their word that the 2CD version was limited to 6K copies and bought one on eBay for more than double the 19.95 price. I know nobody in the merchandizing side of all of this gives a rat's ass, but credibility and consumer confidence are extremely difficult to try to regain once you've lost 'em, which you most certainly have.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Glad Deadnet/Rhino is releasing this 2CD version now that RSD is over. The RS got folks in the door on 04/13 for RDS sales. Now anyone that couldn't make it for 1 reason or another does not miss this excellent acoustic release. Nice move DL2.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Because I thought they opened at 10, instead of 8. So it was on me really. I'm glad this is available now through the usual sources. JeffSmith is your copy numbered?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

The record store I went to didn’t have the CD because, as the guy behind the counter told me as I was buying the vinyl and asked for the CD too, “we don’t have the CD, we’re a record store”.
I got the last Warfield vinyl at that store.

Jeff, that sucks.
But, they might be selling unsold stock. Stores place orders in advance, they may not have had orders for 6000 CD’s.
2-27-69 vinyl was available for several months after RSD, and at the same price (not on this site, record stores were selling it online).

Here’s the RSD 2019 description.
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10707

MORE INFO
Two complete acoustic sets from Warfield shows in October 1980, celebrating the Grateful Dead's 15th Anniversary. A perfect blending of older cuts from Dead's extensive repertoire, these two sets include such classics as Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Bird Song, Monkey and the Engineer, and To Lay Me Down, amongst many others, with each set ending with Ripple. Limited to 10,000 LPs and 6000 CDs.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

The copy I bought for 49.99 is not numbered. Not sure if any were numbered. I know I am being a buzz-kill and I am really sorry. This is a GREAT release – right up there with Reckoning and maybe better sound quality. Everyone should have this. Too bad the roll-out didn't live up to the billing. You try to play by the rules, support the system, and then bite the bullet on eBay as a last resort, only to have TPTB decide to move the goal post after the fact. Silly me. . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Went to three different stores on RSD and got shut out of the CD. Did get the cool poster. Was bummed to miss out on what I believe to be unreleased music from one of the most important runs of their career, then ended up hooking up with a copy off Ebay for more than retail.

Glad it's available here now. If these are leftover stock I'd order now.

I notice the liner notes mention the same people who supplied the returned Betty Boards. Wonder if these are returned 2-track 7.5 ips recordings or multi-track? Maybe a Warfield/Radio City Music Hall mega box is on the horizon? I'd love one, but that's a lot of shows, would be a whole lot of discs and wouldn't be easily affordable.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

...Remember my brothers & sisters, “who would like to buy this thru the Grateful Dead website”
🙏❤️😉
...ps / warfield tapes are Not sourced from multi tracks, they are from the returned Betty tapes. I posted this before I can’t remember when ( Daves pick 29 board I think) but anyway, I hope that answers some questions...

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

... I have to say this is by far one of the best sounding Listening Parties since being made available lol ha ha I don’t stream music but I gratefully enjoyed this releases samples!
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

..."The long run of shows the Grateful Dead performed in the Fall of 1980 at the Warfield in San Francisco featured some of the most exciting, dynamic, and talked-about concerts of the Dead's performing career. During this unprecedented 15 night engagement, each of the shows included three full sets of music, the first being acoustic Dead, followed by two electric sets. Remarkably little has been released from these shows, and never a complete set. Our 2019 Record Store Day title features two complete acoustic sets from the run, on back to back nights, containing 19 spectacular acoustic performances." - Archivist David Lemieux
...15 shows celebrating 15 years of the Good Ol Grateful Dead!... 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

so i bought the vinyl, and i think it sounds just great. ice cream, how do you think the cd compares to the lp???

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Sun King

I ordered the CD today.

The vinyl sounds great and I doubt the CD will sound better. I grabbed the CD so that I can put a copy on my digital music player.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Spacebrother, I did not notice that these tapes were provided by ABCD Enterprises until I saw your post. That is a great catch! I looked again and it is hard to read but it is there. So, this is great news. More returned tapes. It appears the list of returned tapes is much bigger than we originally thought. I remember reading an article a few years back that listed all the returned 77 shows, 70, 71, some 78. I don't recall seeing any 1980 on that list. So this is big news. I wish they would release the list?

So man, this may be the year we do get the famous Warfield/RCMH?

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Thanks for the link on the returned Betty boards. I have never seen that second list. Interesting that the Warfield dates indicate acoustic set 1s only.

We should have some information within the next month.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

A good number of years ago, sometime in the early '90s, I bought a 1 disc boot called "Celestial Synapse" Teddy Bear Records, TB40, Made in Italy.
Not long after I was ripped off by this boot, I was able to acquire an audience recording tape of the whole show, or at least most of it. It served me well and the artwork was cool, far easier on the eyes than this Warfield release. However, the sound on the official release is far superior to the sound on the boot, and the sound of the LP is out of this world.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

My Warfield 1980 CDs arrived yesterday and all I have to say is a grateful, heart felt "thank you". To the band, to the crew still giving us the music, and to the Heads who's loyalty still fuels this whole damn thing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Can anybody tell me if these are different tracks than were included on the Reckoning expanded edition, and 30 days of dead 2018?

TIA

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by D_MCK

...the Grateful Dead release uses the unreleased Betty’s tapes from the performance. Hope that helps. 🙏❤️😎

*Sold Out folks...

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Yes Bettys, and these seem to be her 2 track sbd recording. There would also have been a 16 track multitrack recording made, and she was a producer on Reckoning, as was Dan Healy, so she could have been running a personal tape which ended up in the storage unit, while the multitracks went to Club Front to make Reckoning and Dead Set. The vocals here are very hit and miss, particularly Jerry. Could be mic issues, but think it's that these are 2 tracks, so you get what you get. Though what you get is stunning on the instruments, especially Cassidy, both Bird Songs, China Doll, and Heaven Help the Fool. Bringing home all the Bettys was a spectacular move. Especially as it has meant a trove of riches not even predicted to exist. Plus the Rex tapes in her collection like DaP 21 4/2/73, and PacNW box 1973 shows. This is a fantastic release. Wish I'd picked up the vinyl when I had the chance on RSD...

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

...sourced from Betty’s 2 track is correct. 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Saw someone post that this was available on Amazon, couldn't make it to a record store that day, so I ordered one from them. Now it's available here, then sold out, now my order from a month ago on Amazon says delivery will be July 5th. Am I getting screwed on this or what? Anyone else having an issue with this? I saw others ordered through Amazon as well.

Shouldve bought one here too, I knew better than to trust the fiasco of the new Dead.net and moving warehouses. Anyone got an extra to sell?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by direwulf

I haven't got a spare one to sell, unfortunately, or one at all, come to that. But I have noticed that it seems quite easy to get RSD albums after the event. I have bought them off Amazon, but also, and more in the spirit of the event, off independent sellers via ebay. I bought the 5/21/74 Paying in the Band on vinyl in this way last week. Which is, should there be any doubt, well worth buying.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Ebay markups are usually too rich for my blood, especially since the product never probably made it to a sales floor for MSRP sale to begin with. I ordered another copy at cost from a different seller, one of them will show up and the other shall be gifted!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by direwulf

...you can sometimes get them cheaper on ebay. Occasionally one will turn up with a low starting bid, and nobody offers much for it. Having said that, I am not sure I've got a Dead release in this way. I got Elvis Presley's The Complete Louisiana Hayride, an RSD release from 2016, on ebay a few days ago for half the price it was going for on Amazon-so its always worth having a look.

I often check the Discogs website, too, to see if there are any tasty morsels going. Again, I got an amazing bargain on a non Dead box set just last night.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by D_MCK

Releases covering the Radio City/Warfield shows are (as far as I can tell): Reckoning, Dead Set, Dead Ahead, and this one.

Reckoning has only one song from Oct 9th-10th, and it is Jack A Roe from the 10th. This included the double CD re-release (which is mostly from the 23rd).

Dead set has a couple 9th-10th, but they are electric. Greatest Story from the 9th. Samson, Minglewood, Row Jimmy, & Jack Straw from the 10th, with the last two songs from the double CD re-release.

Dead Ahead video is all 30th and 31st.

I highly recommend the Grateful Dead Lyric & Song Finder for this sort of stuff. Go to the discographies section, check out by year. Or by song.

https://www.whitegum.com/intro.htm

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

Though I hate using Amazon. Usually go Discogs. Had to go through a 3rd party vendor to get it, however.

Well worth it so far, as I cruise into Ripple on the 9th.

Really hope we get some more 1980 dead. No full acoustic show has ever been released. Dead Ahead has a lot from 10/31 but this is a glaring omission from the catalog. Not to mention 12/31 (also with an acoustic set) and 10/10. Non-acoustic, 6/20 & 6/21, and 9/6 are also excellent.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

and here we are, so you get no argument from me on that one. I tried and failed to get Warfield tix. If I'd had a better idea what I was missing, I probably would have tried harder. But it all worked out okay.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...RSD Warfield CD is back in stock my friends. If you missed out, nows a good time to grab a copy... 🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I tried to purchase this, but it was out of stock. So I signed up to get an email when it was available again, And then, today, I received such an email! Saying it was back in stock! Hooray! But there's still no way to purchase it on this page (no "add to cart" or anything). I can only sign up to receive emails when it's available, which I already did, which is why I received an email saying it was available... But is it really?!? I also already purchased this same item from Amazon, but they can't confirm when (if ever) it will ship. Seriously, why do you people make it so hard for me to give you my money? Don't you want my money? It's good and green!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was notified that the Acoustic Warfield set CDs are back in stock. Cant buy one though as no way to add it to the shopping cart. Bummer. Please fix so I can spend my money!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...sorry to read you two missed that ‘open window’ time period, it was available for only a short while. When it’s Available/ back in stock again I will do my best to post a message as quickly as I can.
As Daverock posted, I don’t think it’s diffecult obtaining a copy thru ‘Amazon’ or ‘Ebay’. I have no idea the cost, but it’s worth looking into my brothers & sisters. 🙏❤️😎
Have a grateful day everyone...

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...it’s back in stock folks, if anyone missed this 2019 RSD release, this is the time to grab one my friends...
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Back in stock, we can read.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

Your last post was intended for me, I get it...please stop with the digs. If you don’t like my posts please ignore them or pm me if you wish.
I don’t want to be apart of any negativity on the Grateful Dead board. Please respect my request and more importantly respect ‘OUR’ message boards request. There’s a good time for All here if you seek it...
Peace be with you Carlo. 🙏❤️😎

Has anyone else had issues with their order for this show? My order went through, cc has been charged.. and I'm still waiting after a month. This is ridiculous.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by TheDude77

Hey Thedude77, I also ordered this about a month ago now and I’m still waiting for a shipping notice. I also ordered the 50th anniversary edition of Aoxomoxoa about a week after this one & just received it the other day. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got email from Movie Mars, lp dropped off at Post Office, have tracking number,,,, should be soon!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 9 months

Mine hasn't even shipped yet after about three weeks, according to the order status. I wonder if it sold out, and they somehow forgot to remove it? They'll know it when all the cancellation requests come in shortly!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

tracking says it's in Chicago now and should be here by the 11th.

The cds should be coming from the dead organization. They are showing not shipped yet.

Hard to understand why these are taking so long.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

I received mine last Monday, July 1st. I received the shipping notice a couple days before that.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/the-warfield-san-francisco-ca-10-9-80-10-10-80.html