• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Thanks for the reminder of the TAMI show. I had a VHS tape of it a long time ago, really enjoyed it. Just ordered the "collector's edition" from Amazon.

Dang might have to drop to take away fear of heights...

I couldnt go there if it has height and no hand rails.

One of the best things about the 50th Anniversary release of that David Bowie show from 1973 is that it is of the whole show. It includes the "Jean Genie" with Jeff Beck that has never officially been released before. I haven't bought this yet - but hopefully the picture will be a bit better than the dvd, which I thought was a bit grainy.
A good recent live concert on blu ray is "Meltdown" - King Crimson Live in Mexico a couple of years ago.

VGuy, the Chase Center in San Francisco is also very steep. We saw D&Co there for NYE and I was stunned at the height of the nosebleeds.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by nitecat

....the upper bowl at T-Mobile is also pretty steep. But after about ten minutes, I don't even notice.
The Miami Marlins can punch their ticket to the post-season today btw. October is a sports fans favorite month.
Plus, Halloween decorations are awesome.
Chase Center. Heard it's steep as hell with a three foot barrier apparently. A person at a Phish show there in 2021 jumped off it. A bunch of spun fans there witnessed it and decided to leave. Look it up.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

PFoot I am a big fan of SCTV. Recently bought most of their dvds. silly stuff, but really out there. John Candy.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

When the world is running down, you make the best cup of stew around.
Police fans will know.
Loved the Dylan Farm Aid appearance! Mike and the lads were sublime in backing the Bard. He threw a few curveballs. Old ass Bob playing a lot of electric solos - the old bastard found his way around the fretboard and for a guitar player it was an absolute joy to see him get reacquainted with his instrument. I don't think he spent weeks shredding to prepare for this event. It was clumsy as fuck but so endearing. Like an elderly uncle who one cannot get enough of even if he does tell the same stories over and over and certain details change...

Bob is old. The Stones are old. Most of you are fucking old. I'm 54. I'll carry the torch for the Stones and Bob and U2 until the cows come home. Anyone see that U2 thing in Las Vegas at the Sphere? Jesus Christ. Christ himself may book a residency and Elvis and Frank Sinatra and the Stones and everyone else will - just watch. The Beatles were the guinea pig with "Love" and that didn't hold a candle although charming. Orb will be booked solid months in advance. This, my friends, is the future of the live concert experience.

It's not like artists of this caliber or genre are coming along again. It is what it is. Be glad you lived through the golden era of the finest rock musicians that have ever taken the stage.

And btw... what are the chances of a Jerry Garcia led Grateful Dead residency there?

\m/

....for the first time in twenty years.
2020 doesn't count. Shortened covid season.
Been a fan since 1993. Because I didn't have a favorite baseball team then. But I was a Dolphins fan.
Figured I'd get in from the ground floor.
Watching some more of Sphere videos. You want cameras and chompers? You got it. I get it though. Sign O' The Times.
There appears to not be a lighting truss.
At least for The Edge & Co.
The sound sounds good on cellphones though. I will reserve to pass judgment until I witness it firsthand.
It's only a matter of time. I will walk though. There's a secret parking lot less than a mile away that's free. I could use the exercise anyway.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The Jays just made the playoffs by their chinny chin chins.
We once saw a guy fall from the upper tier of the old Buffalo Aud at a Dead show. No idea how badly they were hurt. Help Is On The Way!
Eight more sleeps until puck drops, boys!
(Sorry DaveRock)

Very impressive. I think at first it will be a novelty. The vids from U2 were nice, but I don't need to see landscape shots while listening to music. This is gonna take someone with vision to show us what it can really do. Pink Floyd could do some wild stuff. The Dead could be awesome. If you could make a moving tie-dye that varies to the music that be way cool. A screen that big should have motion and NOT distract from the music.

The video for With or Without You was cool when it got the part of entering "the eye". The one for streets have no name, so so,,, very nice picture, but, a landscape?

What were tickets going for Vman?

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

Baseball....the perpetually cruelest mistress known to the sports world

Hockey....two statements: "Let's go Kraken" and "Oh no, not again"

Football....no hate on the Dolphins, but it would be wild if they got shut out today.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

…and for what it’s worth (about 2 cents), I’ve been going to Orioles games since 1968, got ticket stubs to prove it. Go O’s!!
Got my first SERIOUS listen to WOTF bonus disc yesterday. Loved it, but I want to play it at least 8 more times!! I look at it as if it’s an appetizer. Sure , a meal would be great, but sometimes an appetizer is JUST right. Band & recording sound good!!
Let’s go Dead, Orioles, Ravens & Capitals, it’s Fall baby!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Looking forward to this one.

Mr. Ones, we cannot forget the Terrapins, my favorite mascot in all of sports - beware the turtle. A good year for MD all around. Was at the 7th game of the '71 World Series. Roberto Clemente and those damned Pirates; missed it by that much.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Went to The Sphere opening night. Phenomenal! Out of body experience with the the portal during with or without you. Get section 305 row 20. You have a wall behind you to get up and boogie without harshing anyone out. The sound is unmatched for any venue even upstairs. U2 did a fantastic show with amazing visuals. Going closing night too in December. A truly unmatched event. Took a taxi, but it was a pain getting one back to Mandalay Bay, but worth every second and every penny! Shout out to Raphael ushering that night. A really nice u2 fan who came out of retirement to apply and work in hopes to see these shows. A good story for a good guy and a real fan. Better than the Silicon Valley Posers in their special luxury level.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Ummhhmmm, that’s what I’m takin about!
Can you Diggs it!!!
Go Bills!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

ThatMike - hey, don't mind me- I'm just peeved cause I can't join in!

Sphere - is this recorded music played in a large venue with visuals projected on to a screen? If so, I'm not so sure it would appeal to me. I like random images on T.V. while I am listening to music - but I have never been too keen on images chosen by other people to go along with music. I was never too keen when they started imposing vaguely psychedelic images onto the screen during those films of Dead shows in the View From The Vault series. Light shows at gigs are another matter.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

....not worried.
There is this band called Goose playing tonight. Gonna see what all the hub-bub is about. Going in blind. I'll figure it out on the way.
Can you Diggs it. That's the fifth time I've heard that today.
KEMO was present and accounted for.
I do not doubt the sound. I search for it all the damn time. I saw that portal btw. Oh shit.
So many possibilities regarding what an artist/band can put up on that 360 degree screen. It's only just begun.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Someone mentioned the new British Blues collection here a while back can’t remember who. It came today quite nice. There could be a lot of why nots and how comes but I have most of them on old vinyl , The Anthology of BB from the late 60s is a favorite and plays great after 50+ years. Last century and beginning of this they released a lot of stuff on cd. Graham Bond Cyril Davies Tony McPhee JoAnn and Dave Kelly as well as the usual suspects TYA Animals. Anyway this 3cd set has a bunch I don’t have and a nice booklet. Good price and worth getting if you’re so inclined

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I just went to buy a coffee mug no PayPal? What’s up with that

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Jim, my Maryland brother, of COURSE I cannot forget U of MD. Over the last 50+ years, I have rooted for and enjoyed their men’s & women’s BB soccer & lacrosse teams. In addition to football, baseball & softball teams.
Got my 2nd listen of WOTF Disc 2 tonight (saving Disc 1 for tomorrow), and I’m liking it more than yesterday. Nothing negative to say. It’s a much welcomed snippet of ‘73 greatness.
I attended the 7th game of the 1979 World Series, which we ALSO lost to Pittsburgh, and I ALSO missed it by that much. Damn, only 1 series victory since then, but I’m feeling one this decade for sure, maybe this year, more likely ‘24 or ‘25.
Music is the Best!!
Sports isn’t too shabby either, especially if you love constant heartache!! 😭😱🤷🏼

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Experience vinyl (and others) are offering a 5 lp box of GRATEFUL DEAD - TRUCKIN UP TO BUFFALO: JULY 4 1989.

Looks like it originally came out in 2015,,,, but it's back again. Supposed to be limited and numbered.

Well see,,, coming in two weeks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

I think it would have to be; 26, Albuquerque - epic show - plus a disc with Pigpen.. 29: Swing - great, great 77 show with the possible greatest "Dew" of them all as bonus.. and (drumroll..) 37; William and Mary 78 - only "dew" of that year and some strong bonus - my farvorite Sugaree..

user picture

Member for

8 months

having recently defected from the working world, I am beginning to appreciate the need to spend some time & space filling that void; I've spent many a year (lol decades) collecting "live dead", and appreciating the only band in American covering all american music genres: blues, country, disco, folk, jazz, ragtime, rap, rock...my friends always busted on me when I would tell them to listen to Pigpen's rap...so hey now, "the time is right" to join, and maybe share some interesting or laughable comments, remarks, or just utterances. Peace! PS always have enjoyed reading members "last 5"

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I see 3/2/69 and Pure Jerry 8 are being vinylised for Black Friday release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Not sure where else to put this, but I am looking forward to 30 Days of Dead almost more than Dave's 48. Let me smoke about it for a while, then I will decide. I've kept my records the past few years, and I usually average about 33%. I don't use enough of the available tools, but I just enjoy the ride.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Great news that 3/2/69 is coming out on vinyl.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Excellent catch on the when the world is running down...had to chase that rabbit.

I always thought (when I was a kid) that it was..."you make the best lover still around."

Dang now "Canary in a coal mine" in my head.

Havent listened to Zenyatta Mondatta in many years.

DR: when was the Police's first English Tour? 1976? or maybe 1977...

Sure the Cramps were full of piss and vinegar. We have something sort of similar: A Band Named Southern Culture on the Skids. They are touring east coast. I saw them several times in the most dive bar you can imagine. Basically a bar around here that I would say, reminds me of CBGB's. Fun as hell, nasty as sh!t.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....the s comment make me laugh.
Goose? They are pretty good, but tend to noodle just a wee bit much. No offense Sixtus. The peaks, however, were very.....peaky and the bass player can drop some legit Bombs. I can appreciate that.
Was talking with a younger couple from SLC. Told them it was my first Goose show, however, I did manage to catch the Dead sixty times. Blew their minds. Older music fan telling tales. I felt like Galdalf. We talked until the start of the set. Hello Anthony & Jacqueline. Y'all cool as fuck.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Gary - I think The Police formed towards the end of 1977. Curiously the three band members, together with Mike Howlett of Gong, played as Strontium 90, and supported Gong at their reunion gig May 1977. So I would think they chnged direction and renamed the band towards the end of '77.

The other day I was listening To Curved Air's excellent Live, from1974. Stewart Copeland was the drummer at this time, as well as being married to stunning vocalist, Sonja Christina. I don't know if Curved Air were well known in America - they were a prog band from the early 70's. A few great tracks-"Vivaldi-Everdance" from this live album is great.

Truth be told, I was more interested in The Cramps than The Police. I saw them in 1981 for the first time, and then about another 6 times after that. I remember the name of Southern Culture On The Skids, but never got round to checking them out. Maybe my job for this morning. It's great when you're retired !

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Hi Dave - first 6 songs from 3/10 - 87 were on VFTV 3.. when do we get the rest of that show.. ? BW

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

AMEN!

Just a note - I have an extra copy of 3/1/69,,,, not so much for sale, but I trade for something good,,,,, Like 5/9/77 Buffalo!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The remastered 50th Blu-ray looks and sounds great.
Haven’t listened to the CD’s yet.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Elvis Costello-All This Useless Beauty
West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band-A Child’s Guide To Good And Evil
Grateful Dead-Wake Of The Flood-Disc 1 (see my enthusiastic review in WOTF thread)
Blind Melon-Nico (a fucking great album and artifact and loving tribute)
Miles Davis-Live Directions (boot of ‘71 Swiss concert)

And for the record, I also LOVE when y’all post your last 5’s-sometimes it gives me a direction to go in.

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Last 5
Buddy & Julie Miller - In The Throes
Byrds - Byrd Parts Vol 1
Jesse Ed Davis - S/T
And some “live” music, because sometimes you gotta get your Ya Yas out:
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Steve Miller Band - Live Breaking Ground 8-3-77
(Recorded in Landover, Mr Ones!)
On Deck: Wilco - Cousins
Reading random stuff about the El Mocambo nightclub, it’s history, past musicians who passed through in its history since it opened in the 1940s. U2, who recently wowed at the Sphere, played the El Mocambo in 1980 right after their first release - “Boy”. They were paid $500, and tickets were $3.50. I’ll bet tix at the Sphere were a touch more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

....are you sure about that Mr. Ones? I list a lot of metal.
Cheapest tix for U2 at the Sphere that I read about was $145 in a lottery. Average seems to be around $300.
Phillies are good. C'mon Marlins seeing as how the Dolphins came back down to earth after facing a legit defense.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Rush 2112 side one (like, 4 times)

Black Sabbath Master of Reality (like, 6 times)

Black Sabbath Vol. 4

Motorhead Kiss of Death

David Bowie Diamond Dogs

I did Diamond Dogs at karaoke last month.

Rant

WHY DOES THE U.S. DO DATES 10/3/87 AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD DO 3/10/87???

is it a metric thing or something? U.S. pride and smugness?

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Pretty much since late afternoon on Saturday, all I've listened to is the first 6 discs of the Who's Next | Lifehouse box, mainly the 5th and 6th ones, the Olympic Sessions from May 1971 and the Singles and Sessions across 1970-72. I listened to the remastered album, then the two discs of Pete Townshend's amazing demos for Lifehouse songs. It is just astounding how fully realized his demos were. And the rare songs that were B sides, like Entwistle's When I Was a Boy, and even Daltrey's Here For More are as much a treat as legendary demos tracks like Mary and Greyhound Girl, but even ones I'd never heard of like There's A Fortune In Those Hills and Finally Over. The Olympic disc features a newly returned tape of Naked Eye with Nicky Hopkins and Pete on acoustic. Which reminds me, the acoustic driven songs and Keith Moon's thundering stampede throughout them is simply delightful. Entwistle's genius shines on his wonderful basslines, great horns arrangements and playing, and love the single tracked vocal versions of My Wife. Notably, the Record Plant Sessions of March 1971 have a lot of the chatter left, demonstrating the fraying relationship with Kit Lambert. After those sessions, he never actually produced the band again. There's also an April 1971 show at the London Vic, and December 1971 at San Francisco Civic Auditorium. The talk on the Steve Hoffman forums has me leery of diving into that. But I must say, the balance of the studio stuff and demos of the first 6 discs, I'm more pleased with the sound than their chatter on those led me to believe I would. But gonna approach the live recordings with open ears. Maybe their audiophile ears aren't as adaptable as mine, thanks to years of listening to the worst Duane Allman era ABB tapes (or Derek & the Dominos for that awful sounding Tampa recording), or even Who tapes (my dad's first in Charlotte November 1971 on this tour), so it sounds good to me. Moon sounds great, as does Entwistle. So, I'm loving it thus far.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

I'm so jealous you saw that. That must've been one of Entwistle's last performances. I have the dvd of the Mike Gordon film Rising Low about that album project and bass legend tribute to Allen Woody. Great stuff. Think there were deleted scenes that made it much better, could only interview that many bass players for so long in the movie. Not a huge Mule fan, but Warren is a great guy, and he's really been a bridge to different worlds of music for a long time, that project brought together guys nobody would ever think of playing together. Unbelievable that you got to see the culmination of all of that! Lucky dog!

GD didnt play Scarlet Fire in 76.

I also see how you put 76 at the front of the date. You clever....

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....habits man. Took out the political rant as well Butthead. Huh, huh, huh. Edited.
I'll shake your hand one day dude. We're in the same time zone ya dingus!

Here's my last 5

World Music - Goat

Real Men's Guts vs. The Smell of Female live 2/26/83 - The Cramps

Classic Early Recordings 1948-1951 - John Lee Hooker

Rubbles Vol. 18 Rainbow Thyme Wynders - Various

The Future Never Waits - Hawkwind

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

The correct way to write dates is year-month-day.
1987-10-03.
That way a computer will keep the list of all the shows on your hard drive in chronological order.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

DaveRock- I saw AllMusic has a review for a newly released box set by Hawkwind, called “Space Ritual (50th Anniversary Edition)”. Per the write up: This massive 11-disc package offers exhaustive evidence of the band's early period, showcasing remastered sound and many bonus concerts.
I personally don’t know their music, had a Prog-loving buddy in high school all those years ago that liked them. Enjoy!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html