• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

.... you just cost me money with Marching Flower Children. On the Pros,,,, cheapish at 30 bucks for 3 cd's,,, Con's coming from England,,,, will take as long as a Dave's Pick coming from Merica :-).

You further complicated things,,,,, I checked the list and my eyes locked on the Vanilla Fudge doing You Keep Me Hanging On. Ran upstairs to hear, because. While checking found the stock versions was 3 minutes,,, on boobtube they had the uncut 7 minute version. Stop the presses,,,, had to download that copy and label and add to Vanilla Fudge's - Psychedelic Sundae - The Best of Vanilla Fudge. Hard to believe it wasn't on that album? But now my copy has 19 cuts instead of 18 :-)

Speaking of money,,,, Joni released Vol 3 of the Joni stuff (The Asylum Years 72-75),,, since I have the first two....... guess I got the cd's and vinyl coming.

Oh what the hell I throw this on the pile,,,, they want to start me on Humira,,,,, my end after deductible 8K!!! Why make drugs no one can afford? Also it seems their selling smack,,,, once you start, you can't stop!

Ok, sorry rant off

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

... you probably want Kenny Rodger's Quick Pickin' and Fun Strummin' music course.

....singing mussels and cockles alive, alive-O

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

My apologies for the oversight. I should have included you as well. After all, RJ was one of yours. Buffalo only adopted him.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Jack - I prefer to think RJ was “Ours”, the best of both sides. I’m sorry he will be missing his team this year, because they are my definite Darkhorse in the East this year. Going to be watching this Bedard kid in Chicago closely, too.

Dennis - I’m glad to hear your Mrs’ credit card is still working great! I’m going to be ordering that set, too. You can never have enough Vanilla Fudge. Sorry about the cost of the meds, wow! Come to Canada, much cheaper.

Proudfoot - Full marks - “ March of the Flower Children” is a Seeds song. My favourite of theirs is “Pushing Too Hard”.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

There's a real treasure trove of psychedelic compilations that have been released in Britain over the last few years. This "March of the Flower Children" looks good, and I noticed there is another U.S. one called "We're An American Band" which features heavier bands ( I would think) from 1967-1973.
A lot of these comps are on the Grapefruit label - 3cds, nice informative booklets and not to large in size - about as big as a single cd. Top stuff!

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

I am excited about Bedard as well. The Blackhawks need to become relevant again.

On the day of the draft, some of the fine folks Chicago called it CBD. Connor Bedard Day. Let's hope so.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Looks like a nice compilation

GD Golden Road

Cool

It's too bad they can't include some "listening enhancements" with the collection. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

BTK, knew you had to have been there! With all the fantastic releases we've all collected (Dicks, Daves, Road Trips, Boxes, 30 Days of), I rarely take the time to dip into some of the shows collected in the old taping days ... and for sure haven't seen video of any of it (except may the US Festival) ... thanks for the u tube tip... I'm on it!! thnx much............tcc

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....yup. Tropical depressions aren't something you see every day in the southwest. Expecting anywhere between 1 1/2 and 3 inches of rain, which is a lot for here. SoCal expecting up to 5. Today's high was 103. Sundays high projected to hit 77. '77 was a grate year.
Edit. Just dropped like 15 degrees here in an hour. Dewpoint is 66. Humidity also 66. Now I ain't no meteorologist, but thats some unstable atmosphere.
Anyone got some choice Weather Report Suites to recommend?
Edit. Nevermind. Found one! Seattle 5.21.74 from the outstanding PNW box. I turned 6 that day! 🥳
It's already coming down hard here. Massive thunder and lighting. I doubt I'll see my female pittie for a few days. She hates loud noises. Camped under the computer desk for now.
My male dog could care less lol.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I really like the one from 10/17/74 Winterland.. but in truth, there isn't a WRS I do not like.

Hang in there Senator. A Hard Rain's......... Gonna Fall.

Wishing the best for all, but especially those in the high country in Southern California. The terrain is not well suited for this type of storm. This could prove to be a big event and a big disruption for that part of the Southwest. ..and it's not like we have absorbed what just happened in Hawaii.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....I've lived here for all of my 55 years except for 4. Elko called me.
But yeah. This forecast ain't no joke.
But some idiots will think, "What? It's only 2"!"
Yeah. You don't understand rain in the desert. Storms roll in and pop up extremely fast. Good luck.
I do know my geography.
And what Jim said.
5.21.74 is nice.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

I'm in SoCal too Vguy ... out in the desert where the rain doesn't soak in much ... had a pretty good gusher 10 years ago (almost to the day) but expect this could be worse... batten down the hatches and strap in .... it's gonna be an interesting couple of days...........tcc

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

having lived in Florida for 38 yrs I am very aware of the destruction a "2" hurricane will cause, and that's in Florida, which is basically a sand bar where back in the day you could set your watch by the afternoon 4 pm rains.
Now I never could read no roadmap and I don't know what the weather might do but if I was in the path of a "2" I'd be stocking up on water ( to drink and to flush and wash a few dishes too) we usually just filled up the bathtub. Power will most likely go out so one should have perhaps a camping stove (propane) and a radio with plenty of batteries. Don't forget about the 4 legged loved ones either, they will be scared and looking for shelter too.
In the past we used to just say "a little wind, a little rain" until we were hit with a direct hit of the eye wall during hurricane Charley in 2004. Trees 40 to 50 ft tall snapping off about 10 ft above ground, crashing all over the place, rain that appeared to go straight, not down, and the worst thing, the howling wind that takes pieces of roof off, a shingle at a time and it if gets a good hold, the entire roof.
Be safe all who is in the path of this, it could be pretty hairy.
Perhaps some good old Grateful Dead to help get thru this, in the past, they seemed to have some sort of ability to effect the weather, so play it LOUD.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Was raised in the Midwest and survived a direct hit by a tornado, lived through a few less direct hits of earthquakes, but never a hurricane, so thanks for the advice .... the bathtub is now full!! Stocked up on water & food, gassed up the beast, cleared anything that could fly through the air (just short of cutting down trees!!), everything's charged, flashlights at the ready, emergency contacts contacted, "go-bag" ready and am about as ready as I am able. Once again thanks for any tips..........tcc

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Radar showed a band reaching all the way up here in W. Colo. last night.
Fabulous lightning show then a quarter inch of rain in like 25 minutes.
That's a drencher for us and we haven't had anything like that since May-June.
Good luck to all in her path.
Cheers
Did a full focused listen at high volume of DaP 37, Wm. & Mary 4-15-78. Total new respect for that one. Felt like I was there. Apparently I need to get up and dance around more while listening to earn the whole effect!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I went from tapes, to archive, to official releases, as many also did. I now realize, I never went back to find/listen to the boards of shows I saw. So that is something on my radar for the next time being, maybe 1 per weekend.

Hopefully Hillary will down grade fast as it enters cooler waters in the next 24 hours or so. (?) When it comes to hurricanes, watch barometric pressure. If pressure dips in to low 29's look out. I think Andrew that hit Miami 30+ years ago had pressure into the mid 28's. But of course, for the desert sw it is all about flooding/flash flooding. Hope all are as prepared as TCC. Overkill is better.

We have had a mild summer for where I am. Sure hope we dont have a 100 degree Christmas/New Year's.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

HOOOWWLLLLL! (Cue Jer bear on the shredding machine)
Yeah similar here last night 1stshow. Huge lightning, first heat lightning all over, then the real stuff bombing the valley.
It’s pretty impressive when the big thunder booms through these valleys and canyons! And very intense but short deluge. Hopefully no fires from all that lazy lightning.

SPRING: 78: yeah that DaP was a real fine surprise. Sometimes you get shown the light…Spring 78 wasn’t really on my radar until that one dropped. Now I wish he’d drop a box from that tour. Really sweet Betty’s too!

Yeah PT I remember being in SoFla and those “lil” 4 pm downpours…tropical thunder mate!
That’s some rain!

Hang in there boys and girls! and remember…
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!

How could I forget.
One of the all time greats, May the four winds blow him safely home…
Old school, didn’t need to chatter incessantly like they all do now. Like Collingsworth et el that even after decades, still seem compelled to force you to know every damn thing that’s in their thick sculls and prove how smart they are…gag!
With RJ, Always felt like you were sitting with a buddy watching a game, all relaxed and sorta mellow, until WHAM something would happen and he’d weave his magic with one part entertainer, one part emotion.
Yep, unfortunately they don’t make em like that no more : (
Damn, what’s next? No more Anchor beer, no RJ, DTV NFL, women’s rights, etc, etc, etc, oh well, nothing lasts as the pranksters say…
Thanks for the decades of fun and memories, gonna have to dust off the ole RJ Top Shelf video disc tonight.
He was a great guy, “Top Shelf Where Mama Hides the Cookies” to use his famous quote.
Hopefully Tim Horton has a hot coffee waiting for him in the big press box in the beyond!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

La-La-La-La-La-LaFontaine!!!! RJ was quite a character, Oro.
I got to playing some Seeds last night and I forgot how fun these early bands were, including the Zombies and the Blues Magoos, a favourite of my older brother back in 67-68ish. He used to belong to that Columbia record club back then where you would get a batch of albums for a penny, and signed up for a year’s subscription. Then he got hip, and got way into The Doors and some others, but those early psychedelic band albums he bought were a hoot.
I hope everyone in the SouthWest stays safe through the inclement weather. Up here, it seems like half the country is burning with forest fires really bearing down. Stay safe, all.
PS - Jack: I’m glad Bedard went to Chicago, and can hopefully turn that storied team around. This kid should do for the Blackhawks what Patrick Mahones did for KC - make them relevant again.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Growing up in the Carolinas, I well remember my mom driving us to our grandparents through Hugo, and we rode out the storm at their log cabin, which actually had less trees around it than our house at the time. I believe Hugo was still a 3 or 4 at that point. Was surprising to see so many people on the road, especially after watching it tear through Charleston the night before. One of my biggest memories is all the wonderfully strange sea creatures that had been taken on a very, very long journey inland, mainly little bugs, but most still wriggling and writhing. More recently, riding out Matthew, Dora, and some others. We came through unscathed, excepting limbs and leaves. Power went only briefly, which, during Matthew, my dad actually went on oxygen the day before it hit, so we were glad it came back on pretty quickly. But flooding and power outages persisted in town, and even Waffle House closed due to Matthew. My wife, from Jamaica, knows of hurricanes as well, and takes it more seriously than I do, filling tubs with water, because she lived through Gilbert, which knocked out power for 3 weeks I think she said. Something unprecedented like a hurricane hitting California, Utah, and Colorado could conceivably do greater damage due to the unforeseen threat. Another reason we need that new power grid in the East and West.

But hey, it's perfectly normal phenomena, right? Also, I agree with Jim, I like all the Weather Report Suites. DiP 14 features two of them that are excellent, DaP 19 7/19/74 has a really good one, Winterland '73 has two excellent ones and a good one, DaP 13 2/24/74 is really nice, especiwlly the segue to Row Jimmy, and the king of them all is DiP 12 6/28/74 a fantastic one followed by a 29 min jam that features MLBody becoming a proto-Music Never Stopped jam, Dark Starish jam, and then out of nowhere becomes US Blues. Sonically, one can never go wrong with DaP 34 6/23/74, my favorite Wall of Sound 2 track, and everything is played exceptionally well, including this WRS> China Doll. Think 6/23/74 will be my soundtrack for working on my music room today...

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Never knew I would love streaming (Qobuz!) so much, but it gives me a chance to sample TONS of stuff . . .

The Wake Outtakes are on there, but while mistyping a search for K'naan, I stumbled across this band, and I had to check them out just for their album covers--turns out their moody rock music is very cool, too!
Kanaan--Windborne

Then I listened to someone named Grace Potter, who dropped an album yesterday--quite tasty blues rock!

And Zakir Hussain (who I saw in concert this past winter) from Bear's Sonic Journals, which led to a bunch of Ravi Shankar listening. I'll have to check out his performance at the Monterey Pop Festival . . .

R.I.P., Robbie--that first solo release of yours is an all-time classic.

Finally got around to showing our teens "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" last night--still terribly clever and hilarious! R.I.P., Paul. I remember renting the VHS of that (and "Children of the Corn") for my 15th or 16th birthday sleep-over.

And of course, stickered on every VHS cassette was a good life motto: Be Kind . . . Rewind . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

A friend just revealed to me that at the last minute she decided to take her daughter to a Taylor Swift show here in the Twin Cities. The afternoon of the show she paid $1000 per TICKET ($400 "Service Fee" to someone) to sit in the absolute worst seats in the 75,000-person stadium! Their backs were literally against the wall, as they were in the top-most row, behind the stage by about 15 degrees, so there were no more seats behind or to the side of them.

I have always had mad respect for Taylor Swift, as she keeps it classy, writes good tunes, and REALLY looks out for her fans, just like the good ol' Grateful Dead did. Those two, Pearl Jam, and Garth Brooks stand out as musicians who always tried to keep tickets cheap and available. Garth in particular just kept adding shows in a town until people quit buying tickets, so as to appease every fan who wanted to hear him.

I don't really listen to three of those four, but do give them all credit for actually giving a darn about the fan experience.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Funny you mention Grace Potter, DMCVT was talking about her recently (and talked TO HER and Bernie Sanders, too). Also, funny you mention Zakir Hussain, he and John McLaughlin have reunited Shakti, put out their first album in decades, and are doing their first US tour in decades, just began in Boston a couple nights ago with John Scofield opening. Bela Fleck joins the tour as opener soon. Sorry I missed that.

I've never listened to Taylor Swift (knowingly, anyway), and don't really plan on it. Wish she would use her ticketing clout to call for a revamp or destruction of Ticketmaster. The fees are absolutely astronomical, and the higher your ticket cost, the higher the service fee, yet it's the same exact service, for the exact same event, being processed by the exact same people! They lost a lawsuit a few years back and I got emailed some worthless free ticket vouchers that magically never were available when I tried to redeem any of them. Not sure how they could just blithely raise those very fees that got them in trouble, and the new system with ticket exchanges and the killing they make off every single transfer is ridiculous. One of my favorite things about String Cheese Incident is their lawsuit against Ticketmaster over monopolistic practices. They won, Ticketmaster settled, but Cheese had to find funky non-Live Nation venues for some time. I only wish the bigger artists who could effect a change would try it. Pearl Jam spoke out and didn't take a hit, but that was 30 years ago, and this Sisyphean Rock keeps rolling back downhill, with more and more expensive undertakings to roll it back up. I yearn for the days of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and a Teddy Roosevelt to wield it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Check out the geek fest on Meyers D&C Panther system at Light Sound Journal dot ya know…
I haven’t read it yet, but it looks mighty tasty!
PROPER!

....let's just say, I paid a little bit more than that Taylor Swift ticket price re the Golden Knights Stanley Cup winner game. Worth it? Yes. You either want it or you don't.
To be fair, Swift plays for over 3 hrs and her shows look top shelf.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

DTV released today on dreamswedreamed dot com:

Fall 1989: The Dark Star Tour
Dead Head TV Host Open Episode 016 August 1989
Dead Head TV Credits Episode 016 August 1989

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by nitecat

....Angels Share outtakes now "streaming". Impeccable timing.
And incredible stuff. I Am The Rain. Early title for WRS? Pistol Shot.
Early title for China Doll.
I absolutely love learning new dead shit.
Light rain occurring now. Watching the Dolphins/Texans preseason game.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Grace Potter. Saw her for the first time a few months back at a very small theater. Very cool. What a great voice.

Bernie. He was the mayor of Burlington when I was at UVM. You would never know it. He was always walking around town dressed in blue jeans and would speak to anyone. Vermont is like that. People are down to earth and approachable. At least they used to be. I was at a good friends outdoor wedding at Stowe. They are big croquet players and had a court set up to play. After dinner I grabbed a mallet and started whacking some balls around. This guy walks up and asked to play a match. Just the two of us. About half way through I asked him what he did. Oh, I’m a Vermont State Senator in Washington. Jim Jeffords.

So Taylor S. Good Lord. If her Eras tour didn’t open people’s eyes to just how despicable Ticketmaster is, nothing will. As someone else said. Their fee is a flat percentage, so the more you pay for the ticket, the higher the fee. Plus the seller pays a fee.

Deadhead is correct. I went to Cincinnati. Ticket prices the day before the show, behind the stage with no view. $900. A few hours before the show, $1,000. Many of those went unsold and you had thousands of young kids (and parents) outside unable to attend. Forbes did a study and the average aftermarket ticket price paid was $1,605. Before fees. That puts you at $2,000 a pop.

Vguy - I would have dropped that kind of cash to see my team win the Cup without even thinking twice. Well done.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Yes

Gooood stuff

I listened today while driving to Oregon. The post-Drums is especially special.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Angry Jack is right - I would have paid the same to see my team win the Cup, like VGuy did.
But hypothetically, if we could go back in time (using Jim’s Time Machine) to see one concert that stands out in history as significant to you, what show would you pay big bucks to see knowing what you know now? The Dead at Barton Hall? Would it even be a Dead show? How about the Beatles on Sullivan? Dylan going electric at Newport? (Or in Manchester, for the “Judas!” show?). The Last Waltz? Bowie’s last Ziggy show? The Stones with Brian Jones? An artist long since passed? (Gram Parsons’ era Burritos would be one I’d consider)
Which show would be “The One” that you would go Swift for, and break the bank?

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

I might have some other choices when I’ve thought about it but here are a few places I’d like to have been:

SF/LA in the late 60’s - early 70’s as several of you were
Jamaica mid to late 70’s
Watching The Beatles in Liverpool in the early 60’s as my brother did.
I’d like to have seen Robert Johnson live.
In Bristol in 1927 to see the sessions recording Jimmie Rodgers and The Carter Family.
The premier of Stravinsky’s ‘The Rite of Spring’

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

But here's a few:
- Grand Old Opry, in the Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs era
- My almost cousin "Cousin" Kenny Vaughn taking lessons from Bill Frizell
- Allman Bros. with Duane, I didn't catch them until 6-23-74
- The Will The Circle Be Unbroken recording sessions
- The first time Leftover Salmon played together, with my good friend Joe Jogerst on accordion. I'll bet they amazed themselves.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Confining myself to England, three that come to mind are the Jimi Hendrix Experience during the first 6 months of 1967, The Dead at The Lyceum on 5/26/72 and that infamous Iggy and The Stooges gig at Kings Cross in 1972.

Robert Johnson might just be my favourite musician - without question my favourite blues man.I think it might have been a bit dangerous seeing him live, though. But in a perfect world..

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

I hope Dave is ok and not anywhere near the BC wildfires!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

Frank - Dave L is in the Victoria area of BC, on Vancouver Island, at least 500 kilometres from the heavy fires in a place called Kelowna, and across a body of water, so he should be ok. One of my kids lives in Vancouver, BC, which is roughly 400 Kilometres from the fires, and he says the skies his way are extremely hazy with smoke.

DaveRock - Hendrix would be hard to pass up, no doubt.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Thanks Mike. Hope your kid is ok too!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....in SoCal. Ventura area.
Felt it here.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

Heavy wildfire smoke here in Salem Oregon and the NW (blame Canada)

Rains in the SW

and now an earthquake?

Shazam....

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

cheers to our canadian friends, all fires won't help to improve the carbon balance.
agree with you Daverock for Robert Johnson, just a few songs that sounds so right still in 2023. I reconsidered jimi Hendrix with the mid tempo songs, most of them in Axis and new rising sun. Hey Baby and 1983 a merman...are big favorites.
I eventually download the digital HCS box. as we say here, just matter the wine, not the bottle, even if I miss the usual beautiful boxset art. The issues with cd and taxes took me out of the game. Little boxes like may77 june76 july78 seems right for shipping and taxes. Pacific NW is the gem to me.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

.. but made it thru fine ... estimating 4-5 inches in 3 hours (based on pool level), winds only got tp 35-40mph so minimal tree damage (had to snag a couple of screens that were doing the Dorothy thing). The sand bags around key areas helped alot, given all outside drains were overwhelmed. Have a bit of clean up but otherwise intact. How about my other SoCal friends? Vguy? ...........tcc

Sheik Yer Bones - maybe that's the way to go, buying these box sets as digital downloads. Buying these enormous box sets was alright when I only had about 5, but it's got a bit out of hand over the last year or so. I've still ordered the upcoming "Memphis Blues" 20cd set from Bear Family, though. No...I can't see myself buying digital downloads - although it does make sense.

With Jimi Hendrix, I tend enjoy the music from the last 12 months of his life most now. From Woodstock on, when he was moving into a funkier direction. But it must have been amazing to see him during those first few months after he arrived in Britain in 1966. There is a clip of him playing at Chelmsford on 2/25/67 included in the dvd of Monterey later that year. Nobody in the audience can have seen or expected anything like it. He must have seemed like he came from another planet. David Bowie did in 1972. But David Bowie was just pretending.

Robert Johnson's recordings are immaculate. I've been trying to play some of his slide pieces this afternoon - and although I can play the same notes, more or less, - I sound nothing like him.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

I can only imagine David Lemieux is preparing for the next release video as I write this. It's a good thing he has that new recorder with the remote control. This way he can pause it as he moves the camera shot to escape the flames in the next British Columbia fireside chat release video.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

40 years ago today I was at the Frost for another great day with the Good ole Grateful Dead. They kicked off the 1st set with Cassidy and Dire Wolf, very cool.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Ten wildfires currently in WA state?
That tropical system from Hilary is completely changing the wind patterns all over and will bring CO some of the monsoon from the next system colliding into TX tomorrow. Early fall weather next? It ain't the doldrums, that much is clear. On the bright side all our snow last winter has made my little local creek out in the BLM near us have a waterfall we haven't seen in years.
Cheers
- Doing some of Alvar's choice WRS selections mentioned recently today.
- And after listening to the first Dear Mr. Fantasy from the Brent era on here last week I went looking for a good version of that as it was lame. I came across Steve Winwood himself doing DMF with The Dead on 6-20-03 and it and that whole show were great! Steve has the guitar chops and did it justice. (and he knows the lyrics, lol)That show also just blew away the one I saw at Red Rocks only 18 days later at my 25th anniversary show 7-8-03. Jimmy H. was superb and Joan Osborne killed it with her Lovelight duet with Bob. Why was she not in Dead & Co.? I think it would have helped.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Very hard to pick one date, so Ill pick more then one. I would like to go to Chicago in the early fifties to see the likes of Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Little Walter, Elmore James, and all the Great Blues men . I would also like to be in Binghamton NY on 5/2/70 and at the Fillmore West on 3/1/69 to see the two greatest Dead shows ever played.

Getting better but still plenty thick.

Booooo!

40 minutes later...

Friday looks like smoke again

Blech

A week of rain would be very welcome

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Leipzig in the 1720s to watch JS Bach conduct his cantatas. For me nothing has come close since.

Son House in his pomp. I've never understood the hoo ha over Robert Johnson.

Elvis at the start.

Neil Young at the Fillmore in March 1970.

Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html