Grateful Dead

Garcia and Friends 1981 Vine

started by JackstrawfromColorado

Hey now these two unique shows on 4/25 and 5/22 warrant their own vine. I don’t know what you call them but it is something in between GD and JGB. The line-up is Garcia, Weir, Kreutzman, Hart and John Kahn and on 5/22 Mydland joins the fun (I actually wonder if Brent played 4/25 too). Both are short one set performances but as you may have guessed they are acoustic and exceptionally good. 5/22 is seriously one of the best sounding auds I have ever heard. Plus they play some of my favorite tunes. For example, how many times do you get to hear Dark Hollow? I just found these to be very enjoyable and something a little different.

I will include wav and flac files for this one on CD-R’s. Humongous thanks to RaymondMBrown for providing!! Hey if anyone knows the background on these shows I’d love to hear some stories!

jg1981-04-25-jgf.mtx.GEMS.103640.flac16
Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Billy Kruetzman, Mickey Hart, John Kahn
Berkeley Community Theatre
Berkeley, CA
April 25, 1981

Acoustic Set

Deep Elem Blues
Dark Hollow
Jack-A-Roe
Monkey & The Engineer
Friend Of The Devil
El Paso
Babe It Ain't No Lie
On The Road Again

Encore
Oh Boy

jg191-05-22.jgbw.aud.angus-hart.26437.flac16
Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, John Kahn, Brent
Mydland, Bill Kreutzmann & Mickey Hart
Warfield Theater
San Francisco, CA
5/22/81
"Benefit for Nuclear Disarmament"

Single Disc (14) 73:25 - Acoustic
01. Emcee talk & tuning [3:52]
02. Deep Elem Blues [4:56] [0:25]
03. The Race Is On [2:54] ->
04. Friend of the Devil [8:14] [1:14]
05. Cassidy [4:45] [0:31]
06. To Lay Me Down [8:13] [0:39]
07. Monkey and the Engineer [2:55] [0:46]
08. Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie [5:54] [0:07]
09. On the Road Again [2:54] [0:26]
10. Bird Song [6:22] ->
11. Ripple [4:02] ->
12. Drums [8:00] ->
13. Oh Boy [2:11] [1:32]
14. Show Closing [2:24]

"Lazy lightning you say you never strike the same place. I want a double dose in any case ... You got to hear my supplication. Got to hear me now. A little bolt of inspiration"

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
JackstrawfromColorado's picture
We should probably proactively

Remove Smiley (and others who are missing) from any list he (or they) is still on just to eliminate confusion and chances for a vine to be sent to a black hole. I don't think that would be mean in this case. I do however think that contacting a person and getting a response prior to sending a vine is a very good way to cut down on this problem, although I agree it won't solve it completely.

Zep - Do you know which vines Smiley is holding?

"It's got no signs or dividing line and very few rules to guide"

dstache's picture
vines

ARGH!! A return to the never ending problem. People should only sign up for a small number of vines and NEVER have in their possession more than a vine or two. We all think we can handle a bunch of vines at once but then something bad happens in our personal life and the vineyard is out a ton of vines. This is nothing against Smiley Dave. I hope he is ok and that he took off with the vines rather than something bad happened to him or his family. But it has happened again and again and again. Sometimes something awful happens, other times a person just disappears. PMing the person before you send them a vine doesn't solve the problem, though it might reduce the number of times this happens. But it will continue to happen, unless someone enforces some limits, and this is a free-flowing space without many rules so we can't do that. No solution is better than a solution that comes off as mean. It's irritating.

zepthompson's picture
oops

Hope smiley dave is ok too
maybe I should give him call...
he has about 10 vines I would like to get

13. Labrika (out 3/12)
14. SmileyDave (should be knocked down on all list)
15. Noonie
16. TheNuthatch
17. zepthompson

got there

ok says recieved March 12, Hope Smiley Dave is ok, real sorry for the mistake- feel like a Jackdaw :(

mess up

I am so sorry, I posted this off to Smiley Dave last month, I missed Noonie, I am sorry about the mistake, I sent Smiley Dave a message but never heard back, hope evrythign is alright, I can check the P O certifictae to see if it got him, if needs be

dstache's picture
update

I PM'd Riggs, the last person to post as having this vine.

zepthompson's picture
any update on this one?

12. riggsjr
13. Labrika
14. Noonie
15. SmileyDave
16. TheNuthatch
17. zepthompson

Arrived safely!

Discs arrived today will PM Labrika and send in next day or two. Thanks to all who keep this going.

I'll jump on, thanks all!

10. Ripple74
11. Longrifle
12. riggsjr
13. Labrika
14. Noonie
15. SmileyDave
16. TheNuthatch

Longrifle's picture
Out tomorrow, thx

10Ripple74
11Longrifle
12riggsjr
13Labrika
14Noonie
15SmileyDave

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Garcia and Friends 1981 Vine