• 80 replies
    marye
    By request--a place to talk about our plans to hit the road and pitch the tent in the quest for great tunes.

Furthur's playing a lot of fests this year, and so are lots of other bands and artists we know and love. Talk about it all here, as Furthur Fest is just around the corner!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • culliganman007
    Heading to the Peach Festival this year in Scranton PA. This will be a classic fest this year with all that has been happening with ABB. Of course, Bob will be there as well. Can't wait.
  • LosAngelesGraff
    Default Avatar
    maybe hiting it twice. any one going there or any one know about the kinds setlists they been playing so far??
  • splinteredsunlight
    i have a ticket to the first night furthur plays redrocks (sept 31 i think?) and it needs a good home...
  • Gypsy Cowgirl
    although I was supposed to go in 1967 for Monterey Pop.....(grrr-still regret that one)........maybe Phil's side @ break? idk-it's a ways off still......:)))
  • Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    Maybe somebody who has been there could suggest a place? Otherwise, right of stage or left of stage?
  • Gypsy Cowgirl
    where would be a meeting up place? I doubt there's a totem pole, like @ Shoreline.....:)))
  • Gypsy Cowgirl
    where would be a meeting up place? I doubt there's a totem pole, like @ Shoreline.....:)))
  • playdead
    for the heads up Lamagonzo and Gypsy! Looking forward to these shows....hope to see you all there! "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery...none but ourselves can free our minds"
  • Gypsy Cowgirl
    http://www.montereycountyfair.com/our-facility/rv-parking
  • Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    ...that this venue is extremely friendly and the town is a hippie hang-out. Hey, it's near Santa Cruz, how can you go wrong? I'll be there with bells on after coming up the PCH from la-la land.One of my favorite rides in the universe. Hey, Hey Monterrey! Be there or be square! Hope to see you, Playdead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

By request--a place to talk about our plans to hit the road and pitch the tent in the quest for great tunes.

Furthur's playing a lot of fests this year, and so are lots of other bands and artists we know and love. Talk about it all here, as Furthur Fest is just around the corner!

user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Have a great time, guys! Wish I could go to the all-in-one fest, like Frogtown, East Coast style. Hope you blow a few brain cells for me =) from the music!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

does anybody know of some good fall music festivals going on near Illinois? Was not able to make it to the Further shows and am itching to get to a festival this year.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

See Daves post on a fine little festie in Elgin, IL this weekend....gonna be lots of skeeters but they do allow an above ground campfire (you know those raised campfire thingies) also Schwagfest is coming up, but that's kinda far. ♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Sorry Doug's post.♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

hey wheres the cali heads?? any one hiting this show??
user picture

Member for

15 years

As the Grateful Dead song goes, Bob Weir has been playing in the band - one band or another - his entire adult life. But never a band quite like the one he'll be playing in for one night this fall. Appropriately enough, the singer-guitarist plans to open his unprecedented Oct. 22 performance with the Marin Symphony with a new orchestral arrangement of the Dead's classic "Playing in the Band." "It's something I've wanted to do since forever," Weir, who's 62, said from his home in Mill Valley. "I've wanted to do something like this since I was in my teens, or even younger." Billed as "First Fusion," it will be a history-making concert for the symphony, never having shared its stage with a rock musician before. And it's about time. Not 'It s something I've wanted to do since forever,' says musician Bob Weir, about playing with a symphony. (Provided by Susana Millman) to jump on the bandwagon, so to speak, but I've been after them to take on a collaboration like this for years. And now, in these lean economic times, they finally have. "The folks at the Marin Symphony are in pretty desperate financial shape," Weir said. "They need a big show, but they also need to bring in a new audience. That's a constant concern for symphonies. They want to get fresh ears in there because those people will come back. They do great stuff, but nobody knows about it." The plan is for the evening to be divided into two parts: In one, Weir and the 41-piece orchestra perform symphonic arrangements of Grateful Dead songs. Other than "Playing in the Band," Weir wants the other tunes getting this treatment to be a surprise. Advertisement "We wanted to be kind of ambitious," is all he would say. "We took some of the low-hanging fruit, and we went climbing as well." He's working closely on the arrangements with Italian composer-arranger Giancarlo Aquilanti, director of the Stanford Wind Ensemble. "We've been doing a lot of work at my home studio with synthesizers and scoring programs with sound libraries attached," Weir explained. "We talk down the arrangements and then mock them up. Along the way, I have to learn Italian because the spoken language of symphonic music is in Italian. Don't have to learn that much, but it's a fair bit." The other half of the program will showcase Weir and four or five rock musicians from his bands - Furthur and Ratdog - playing improvisational pieces with the Grammy-nominated chamber group Quartet San Francisco as well as symphony musicians picked for their ability to improvise. The Dead pioneered improvisation in rock, but it's not all that common in classical music. "Classical musicians often times do not improvise," Weir said. "They're technicians. But what I want to do is get some interaction happening. I want the soloists from the orchestra to be able to take off a little bit, if they can. And we're finding soloists who can improvise and do call and response and that kind of stuff. I've got a couple of instrumentalists I can trade licks with. We're hoping to salt that in there because I have not heard that done before." Rock musicians collaborating with symphony orchestras has been done before, so this isn't groundbreaking in that sense. Sting is touring with a five-piece rock group and the 45-member Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, which he calls "the biggest band I've ever had." What Rolling Stone calls his most exciting album in years, "Symphonicities," is a set of orchestral remakes of songs from his solo and Police repertoires. And let's not forget Metallica's deafening 1999 collaboration with the San Francisco Symphony, which I described at the time as "like playing a Stradivarius with a chain saw." "I've seen the Metallica-San Francisco Symphony video and learned things from it," Weir said. "I've learned that I don't think the band can play quite as loud as those guys were playing." Stylistically, rock songs and symphonic pieces aren't as incongruous as you might suspect. Weir and his late partner in the Dead, Jerry Garcia, began as folk/bluegrass musicians, and many of the Dead's songs, particularly the ones written with lyricist Robert Hunter, are essentially electrified contemporary folk music. "For hundreds of years, a great deal of classical music was flights of fancy that composers took on folk songs," Weir pointed out. "Bach was famous for that. So was Mozart." I would add Dvorak to that list, Copland, many others. The symphony offered this gig to Weir and his Dead-Furthur bandmate, bassist Phil Lesh, who wasn't up for a daunting project. Whether Lesh will play on the night of the show is up in the air. "I'm thinking of using two bass players, both of whom play for Ratdog," Weir said, mentioning stand-up bassist Rob Wasserman and electric bassist Robin Sylvester. "Lesh passed on the project early on, so what I'm trying to do is plump it up so that he can't refuse, but I've got some work to do." After a successful summer tour with Lesh and Furthur, Weir's focus is on "First Fusion," and what the collaboration will do to open doors for future projects like it. "If this goes well, I'm sure I'm going to have all kinds of offers from the Wolftraps and the pops orchestras back East," he predicted. "That will be fun, and that in turn could turn into more ambitious projects that would come back locally. But, for now, I'm pursuing it one step at a time." IF YOU GO What: "First Fusion," Bob Weir and the Marin Symphony When: 8 p.m. Oct. 22 Where: Marin Veterans Memorial Auditorium, 10 Avenue of the Flags, San Rafael Tickets: $50 to $350, on sale Sept. 1 Information: 499-6800; www.marinsymphony.org Liz OO play on- KEEP LISTENING
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

ok well todays the show, ima leaving at 12pm, the show starts at 6pm. asigned seating, sounds like that might suck. well cheers
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Have fun all you kind SoCal Brothers and Sisters!!! Sounds like a blast....see you in Red Rox.♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

]♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

1 Week From today....I'll be seeing the best festival this side of the Mississippi....WANEE FESTIVAL!!! ♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

See you all there...can't wait to see Billy and 7 walkers, JGB, and Friends of the dead family @ ABB festie! ♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥ Twirly Banner
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

I will be at the Raleigh, NC July 28 show...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Anyone else going to Monterey County Fairgrounds for Furthur in October? If so, do you guys know about the venue? Is there camping similiar to Furthur Fest at Mountain Aire? I'm planning on going both days and wanted to find out more about the venue. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery...none but ourselves can free our minds"
user picture
Default Avatar

...that this venue is extremely friendly and the town is a hippie hang-out. Hey, it's near Santa Cruz, how can you go wrong? I'll be there with bells on after coming up the PCH from la-la land.One of my favorite rides in the universe. Hey, Hey Monterrey! Be there or be square! Hope to see you, Playdead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

for the heads up Lamagonzo and Gypsy! Looking forward to these shows....hope to see you all there! "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery...none but ourselves can free our minds"
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

user picture
Default Avatar

Maybe somebody who has been there could suggest a place? Otherwise, right of stage or left of stage?
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

although I was supposed to go in 1967 for Monterey Pop.....(grrr-still regret that one)........maybe Phil's side @ break? idk-it's a ways off still......:)))
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

i have a ticket to the first night furthur plays redrocks (sept 31 i think?) and it needs a good home...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

maybe hiting it twice. any one going there or any one know about the kinds setlists they been playing so far??
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Heading to the Peach Festival this year in Scranton PA. This will be a classic fest this year with all that has been happening with ABB. Of course, Bob will be there as well. Can't wait.