Grateful Dead

1296 replies [Last post]

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
must have been jet lag

Bruins win game 3 ,8-1

zepthompson's picture
NHL

Gr8fulTed,

I'm going to assume you are a Vancouver fan...
and say I bet you are glad they didn't show it.

:(

Gr8fulTed's picture
Game 3 not on?

Geez, Vancouver vs Boston is on a channel I don't get !!! Arrrgh!! I still have the Royals....: -(

what the f**k ?

We just learn that Japan suffered 3 total meltdowns but NBC news chooses to lead off with a tweeting-tom congressman, and it doesn't look like they are going to mention it ! Maybe if the other 3 reactors that were being maintained at the time had also melted down it would've deserved a mention, but I doubt it.

Gr8fulTed's picture
11 seconds into overtime

Canucks ended game 2 in quick fashion w a wrap around goal 11 seconds into overtime!
Back to Boston for game 3 tomorrow ( jet lag?)

marye's picture
well, out here on the fringes of Altamont Pass

birds getting killed by windmills are an issue, though one that apparently can be somewhat designed around. And the mega-solar installations in the Mojave are starting to raise a few eyebrows with the enviros. Again, better design can mitigate this but not fix it. Not unlike nukes. There's always a tradeoff. Probably someone other than a human is paying the worst of the price, too, but there's always some human deciding what's disposable in the interest of getting that power.

NONE of it's free, perfect, clean, easy, beautiful, etc. Some of it's less bad.

johnman's picture
Ha!!..Klaatu barada nikto..!!!

Always loved that line....Am not sure how I feel about the most recent version of the film. Keanu's interpretation of Michael Rennie's character seems a bit too dark, and unforgiving, for my tastes. Didn't the Prius have a recall notice a few days ago? I dunno much about fusion except I have heard it's alot cleaner, and I'm not sure I understand how solar panel affect the desert....guess I need to do more research....

lamagonzo (not verified)
Not necessarily the case...

....that all alternative forms of energy are messing things up. I remember several people whose job it was to maintain wind turbines saying: "Raptors, what dead raptors? The only dead raptorsd are the ones that hit my truck!". I think that a lot of the debates, in comparison of the long-term footprint of nukes, are way overplayed.

It may be more correct to say that all existent forms of alternative energy (to nuclear) have downsides. We are probably in a race with ourselves (a la The Day The Earth Stood Still) for a solution like fusion power that has no drawback.

Meanwhile the more practical debate debate is: Does Toyota Prius have a bigger carbon footprint than an all electrical Nissan Leaf?

~ Gort, Klaatu Brata Niktu ~
(not a mantra or a lyric)

johnman's picture
Messes up the desert?

I had no idea......and if we use turbines in the water, like has been suggested for use under the Narrow's Bridges here in Puget Sound, then lotsa fish suffer...once again, it's proven that our greed will get us, eventually....Dang!!! I wonder if some sort of fencing would decrease bird and/or fish loss.....

marye's picture
so yeah

it ain't simple. Also, hereabouts they're finding that massive wind installations kill a lot of birds and massive solar installations really mess up the desert.

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind: Still More Current Events