• 545 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

The video seems too big and distracting. Might be better in person though. Will wait for the full report from Vguy.

• Angry Jack Straw

I completely agree. Watching the videos online may me question even more whether or not it is worth it. Leaning more towards not.

It seems like a glorified omni-theater. I go to concerts for the music. The emphasis seemed to be on the visuals, not the band. If I want something visual, I'll go to movies. I'll take Red Rocks all day long.

The coolest part for me were the images of Barton Hall. However, I have been there recently and it is not nearly as nice as they made it appear.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has actually attended.

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

True about 94 Bucket and the Vegas run - but there is also a Candyman from 1980.. Maybe vol. 51 will be Vegas 83 plus the 1970 "leftovers" from vpl.48 - to push the Vegas stand ?

• wadeocu
    Default Avatar
    Question for DeadCo at the Planetarium attendees

This looks neat in a lot of ways but I am debating if it is really for me. My show routine involves finding a place that sounds good toward the back of the floor with dancing space. I pay little to no attention to the stage and screens and often just have my eyes closed. Seems like this sphere thing is not really about that. Is there any groove element to it at all or is the crowd just in movie theater mode for the show?

• alvarhanso

Think that may have been an online only release, I searched for it and only see playlists, no physical media. I guess it was timed for and themed with the Sphere residency of Dead & Co? Might explain the 2 oddball Vegas tracks from unreleased shows. Hell in a Bucket from '94? Not my first choice for a song for a Dead live compilation...

• billy the kiddd

I was there at the Aladdin Theatre , along with alot of other great people who post on this forum. Crazy times for sure.

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

Is this some sort of official thing.. ? Vegas 1983 would be sweet..

• alvarhanso

Suck it, Hey Now!

• alvarhanso

By the way, anybody see this newest live compilation? It's up on nugsnet, haven't seen it anywhere else, or really looked, but just came across it again, and thought to ask. Mostly stuff previously released, a couple strays.
    Deal Cornell 5/8/77
    Loser Lyceum 5/26/72
    Half Step English town 9/3/77
    Jed Paris 5/3/72
    Day Job Richmond 11/1/85
    Hell in a Bucket Vegas 6/26/94
    Stagger Lee Hampton 3/27/88
    HCSunshine Vancouver 6/22/73
    Ship of Fools 5/12/74
    Jack Straw Vegas 3/26/83
    Ramble On Rose Lyceum 5/26/72
    Candyman Springfield 9/3/80
    Doin That Rag FWest 2/28/69
    Me & My Uncle Family Dog 2/4/70
    Dire Wolf 100 Yr Hall Frankfurt 4/26/72
    Scarlet Begonias Cobo Hall 10/3/76
    Truckin' Copenhagen 4/17/72

• alvarhanso

Listened to the Sugaree yesterday, doing some comparing to 5/3, 5/26, and 5/28. 5/26, which was on DaP 41 2 years ago is very good, Jerry is more ambitious, but I would put it at the bottom of the four. 5/28 from the tour closing To Terrapin release is the champ to me, so sprawling and multi-faceted, and the band works it really well in the ebbs and flows. I had forgotten about 5/19, and it's a great one, probably my second favorite, pushing 5/3 to third, but it's an important template creator. I skipped 5/5 New Haven, may get to it tomorrow. 5/3 and 5/19 both feature my favorite high note walk downs from Phil at the end, 5/19 is longer and just about perfectly executed and a perfect summation of why Phil is so different, adding a part that would probably be played by cellos to help resolve the piece in a classical context. Also, I noticed it was Jerry doing the Walk on the Wild Side type stuff on 5/3 as Bob is doing his harmonic chords underneath. That's another thing he started really doing magnificently, and I'm struggling to think of other rock type songs that use chords with harmonic notes like that. You might hear them used for flourishes in solos and things, but as a skeleton rhythm is really fascinating. Sorry if that whole experiment is nails on a chalkboard to some denizens around these parts. 😉

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

This show definitely has more spunk than 5/3. I can just feel the energy in the room.
And I really like that disjointed Half Step opener!
Purple Pyramids? Takes me back to the summer of '80. Had some real good times.
Camping in the Blue Ridge Mountains, body surfing at Hattaras, or just hanging out and reading Zap Comix with good friends and good vibes.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Yesterday I was reading the June issue of ‘The Wire’ with an article about Shellac and today I see that Steve Albini has died. Bad timing with the new album.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

This release is exceptional. I never post but could not resist. Hearing for the first time made me lol at how good it is. Thanks to the team for getting it to us!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Spring '71
Fall '79
YES a coupla great shows indeed!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....did no one on the "popular" board wish Bill The Drummer a Happy Birthday yesterday?
We all slacking yo.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Happy Birthday to Billy! Hellava Drummer. 78 sun trips now, I will remember that from here on out as I was jamming to Boston 5/7~1977 Yesterday & of course some Cornell today. Dancing in the Street!

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Some one should've cast the blame on the "Hey Now" about Bill's absent B~Day wishes. Now seriously, I've got a theory. Every time I try to post some "T.M.I." about my futures speculations on Dave's picks. I get the Hey Now.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...STEP BACK...
...AND THEN YET ANOTHER STEP BACK...
...Doesn't that feel better...

for today's listening enjoyment, backin' up the truck to 1977-05-07 boston garden, this should get me thru my almost 3 hour grass cutting chore for today :]

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

Happy belated Birthday Billy!

I always loved Garcia's line on how Billy got in the band. Something to the effect of I couldn't understand a word he was staying so we asked him to be our drummer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Good call Proudfoot. I love this rockin' raw period. And a great quote from Jerry "We have Pigpen with us but we forgot to bring an organ..." How I would love to go back in time and follow these guys.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hey rockers!!

3/24/71: Weir’s cryptic “Code Seminole, check 3 check 3 check 1, Red Dog over, proceed plan Dakota…”

Actually, a very solid show, especially the Pigpen material, organ or no organ. Also the Truckin'/Other One is crunchy. Always worth a listen and would make a nice official release some day..........

Inner space is so much more interesting, because outer space is so empty.....

Rock on,

Doc
Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it......

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

… two primo picks my brother! For 71’ and 11/24/79 is a favorite of mine!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

So I guess it’s Sheldon Keefe’s fault that Marner doesn’t back-check.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

...that this is a really great release. This show is as good as anything from the tour. Actually, that applies to both shows included in this release along with the bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Has been a favorite of mine for many years. My all time favorite Hard To Handle. Crackles with energy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Started listening to the RT series a while back when it was the hot topic. Lots of good music, and I rarely listen a Bob cowboy song, so worked out for me. <Hey Now Test>

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

37 years ago today I was at Laguna Seca Raceway having a great time with the Good old Grateful Dead. Great show! Bill Kreutzmann dedicated He's Gone to the memory of Paul Butterfield.. The Dead came out after the show and filmed the Touch of Grey video.

GD87 is a year I rarely listen to

I will try 5 9

only show I attended in 87 was 7 19 87

GD were so so

Dylan and Grateful Dead together was priceless

....Dave's 38 - Nassau.
Metallica-....And Justice For All
Pearl Jam - VS
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Fishing For Fishies (vinyl)
BOC - Secret Treaties (new 180g vinyl release)
All bangers imo.
Stop what you are doing. Right now. And find BOC's Flaming Telepaths. Somewhere. Anywhere. And tell me what your thoughts are on that song.
Soooo good.
Edit....Let Me Sing Your Blues Away from DaP 38 just started. Surprise!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I did very much enjoy DaP49. The first disc of 50 to my ear was a bit slow and sloppy, if still good (is anything from 1977 NOT at least "good"?). Then the Might As Well starts a bit slow and sloppy, only to find some real energy towards the end. Then Estimated gets quite lovely and suddenly--SUGAREE! Wow. Then everything is just top-notch, with a stellar Wharf Rat. Good stuff, Maynard!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I bet most of us got the email from the G_D today, this week at D_ead Ne_t. I noticed they are not steering readers to this site for the first time in a while on one of these emails, my guess is because of the Hey Meow banter and dissatisfaction with their web policies.

A missed opportunity during a time of declining sales.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 3 weeks

Love it.. love it.. love it.. great show(s), great sound - moore may 77.. BW from Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

. . . but very cool. "The Clubhouse Sessions - Episode 1" (google it!). Fly-on-the-wall-view of Phil rehearsing with Grahame, Nicki Bluhm, Daniel Donato, John Molo & Holly Bowling . Keep on bombin' Phil!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just never stops, can't even finish my post, think I'm done here

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

You think someone would wake up and say.. hey, maybe the kind heads on dread n_et actually know what they are talking about and our new IT director and brainchild of the new web architecture Bozola the clown aka Dr. Hey No_w is smoking a bit too much crack.

You're right Burnsy, it's a shame to see some of the really good-natured fun people get fed up and leave. People best at spreading infectious enthusiasm that fuels this place and surely improves sales.

It just never stops.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It would help if we just knew the rules which are way past you can't put in a web address, etc. The randomness is very frustrating. Which word is getting me HNed?
Cheers
"It's got no signs or dividing lines and very few rules to guide."

I agree 1,000 percent that we should have either resolution or some goddamned actual rules about what words can or can't be posted. What symbols will be flagged. Don't just piss off your literal customer base by making us deal with this shit for literally months. We put up with some ridiculous excuses on Warehouse migration issues that affected releases years after the warehouse was moved into, so at some point it would be nice to get a sense of what the hell is going on, and why it cannot be fixed easily and more quickly than months. As an act of protest, I am getting Mars Hotel 50th and zoetrope disc from Jeff Bezos.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

This Hey Now stuff. Hey now seems to have started as a fun play on Iko, now it can be torturous.

We got the crickets and cicadas singing like crazy. Wonder what it is like around Illinois where they are getting the double brood. The mighty locust chomp then the birds get a double meal.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Who the phque is in charge name please

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

short answers

cd player make model

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Received on April 27th.

First listen on anniversary dates, Niiiiice!

And love 1989-05-07. The first true dive to go deep in Midi with D/S. Just listen to D/S intro into the other 1. Amazing Sounds and transition. It was a big deal back then because it was the first time Phil played the opening bars of The Other One in a long while, if memory serves...

Billy's 43

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

We’re going to finish up and send you on your way with one more “Other One intro” show, but one that’s a little less widely known. It’s actually the last of the 14 Grateful Dead shows in the intimate, forest-like setting of Frost Amphitheater on the Stanford University campus in the 1980s. It just so happened to be Kreutzmann’s 43rd birthday, and this Sunday afternoon show was solid and enjoyable. But makes the cut here, though, because of 12 shining minutes in the second set that showed that the band still knew how to experiment, explore, and blow a few minds in the process.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Hell Noed

Can look up title, ill keep trying

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

will liveformusic

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html