• 647 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • billy the kiddd

42 years ago I was at the Moscone Center for a great night with the Good old Grateful Dead. A benefit for Vietnam Veterans, Country Joe, Boz Scaggs, John Cippolina, also played.

• JimInMD

Good riddance.

• TN John

...to Angel Hernandez
    It's sad MLB had to bribe him to retire.

• icecrmcnkd

My first view of this page has Tim The Tool Man as the top post, but when I hit ‘recent posts’ he disappears.

• Vguy72

....Angel Hernandez retired. If you know, you know.

• marye
    Yeah, I removed him so all good. Moving right along...
  • TN John

That news really sucks.
    Never met him, but did spot him in the crowd at several shows.
    Peace

• JimInMD

My comment referred to the spam post by tooltime. Glad they removed it! And quickly.

Thanks dead net or MaryE or whoever removed it.

• Vguy72

....six more shows added.

• Oroborous

May the four winds . . .

Saw him seems like every post GD show at Red Rocks in the VIP section., right in front of the SB.
    Usually, that ment all six eleven of him, arms flaying above his head, leaning precariously over the flimsy section rope, like a moth to flame, like he needed to be as close to the music as he possibly could.
    The year he was on crutches we thought for sure he was going down lol, but nope, true warrior still Dancin and dreamin, and ALWAYS with that ecstatic shit eating grin!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Thx Icecrmcnkd, that WAS an LP, not a CD. I nabbed a sealed copy.

Maybe I need to get a turntable now.... I can see the domino effect cascading and becoming a vinyl slut.

Oh well, HF

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Sorting

All man shows

found

Buffalo Chip Campgrounds

doesn't sound like a nice place

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In case you haven't heard, Real Gone is going to issue a vinyl version of Dicks 12. Which is a killer diller, some of jammiest jams ever. It's a run of only 3000, goes on sale Thursday. You've been warned.

Also, I've been trying (trying and trying) to post something to say how grateful I am to everyone who helped sort out my problem with the defective disc. Thanks Doc, Mary, and everybody else!

And also to thank everyone who sent kind words and good karma after I posted about my mom's dementia the other day. There's some very nice humans around here.

Hope this doesn't get Hey Now'd. To the best of my recollection, I am not now nor have I ever been a robot.

....this slut already spent his allotted record $ this month. Thanks Crow, I guess.
Then again, my birthday is next week.
So I have an excuse teacher.
Just listened to 12 a couple of weeks ago. Stays in semi-regular rotation, as it should be in all of our homes.
BTW, this is what I bought at the record store Sunday after seeing my mom. King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana. Phish - Fuego. My Morning Jacket - Z.
I got a little high last night and was totally absorbed in that Gizzard record. Good stuff.
Careful HF. It's a helluva drug my man.
Edit. Good excuse to get 12 Joey. It's for sale on Real Gone. CD that is if you're not the slutty type.
Edit again because hey nows aren't effecting me yet. My father passed from Alzheimers Crow. It's a rough road that one. Peace.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Vguy.. sorry to hear about your dad.. think you said he was from Denmark.. my dad died from Alzheimers 8 years ago - maybe it is in the genes here in the North E.U. ? BW to you and familie.. Danehead..

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
🍻
It's all good y'all.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Problem is, Vguy, I'm already a CD slut, a concert slut, and a just plain slut.

That's the upside....

Cheers, HF in Slutland (should be a board game...)

P.S. Anyone here heading to Joe Russo's Almost Dead at the Rocks, June 1?

P.P.S. My dad went out two years ago with dementia. Anyone suffering from it or being a caregiver has my complete support and best wishes. Truly.

In Seattle there is the South Lake Union Street Car

But many refer to it as the S L U T south lake union trolley

Quote unquote ride the S L U T

Nyuk nyuk

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Really hoping to get this one, trying to be ready precisely at zero hour. Missed DiP 1 by that much. I think 11 minutes, and they were gone like Keyser Soze. But as much as I love that Here Comes Sunshine, I love the China Cat from 6/26/74 more. And my favorite Eyes. Phil's solo is as good as either of Jerry's solos in it that night, and as an encore, it was super tight. Then Phil suddenly at the mic with a hearty, "Good night folks, see ya on Friday!" And that Friday is just a monster. Well the Weather Report Suite - Jams - US Blues, is the real monster. Dark Star hints, Mind Left Body Jam morphs into a proto-Music Never Stopped Jam, and so many peaks and valleys until US Blues meanders out of the ashes. Too bad the most recent DaP vinyl was #2, #34 6/23/74 would have made a killer companion. When that one comes out on vinyl, I will be all over it. Oh, and the etched last side? Wow!

Now, fingers crossed I am able to go into a room and no wifi issues strike, and I am able to get this motha tomorrow at 1pm, EST. And good wishes to all those joining me in the online queue.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Alvar-there speaks my mind. Slut is a shoddy word, no doubt about that, either.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

is on Amazon currently for 134. I dont know if thats good...

Edit: its actually less on ebay.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Yesterday was Wavy Gravy's 88th birthday, Happy Birthday anniversary to the pied piper of phun.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by PT Barnum

Gave up on a couple posts due to Hey Now, hope it's fixed soon, THANKS MaryE for letting us know. Looking forward to Jims report on JRAD, have tickets to their show August 1, Jerry's birthday in Burlington. Alzheimers, ALS, my heart goes out to those whose families affected, have lost friends and family to both. To say it sucks does not begin to express the devastating effects which many of us know too well.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

134 is a little less than what I ended up paying up paying from a record store online. That's not bad. It's worse right when they're released, then things seem to calm down, until they've been sold out a few years, then they jump above 200. Or so it seems. I saw the Talking Heads RSD release has stabilized and I could probably get it now more reasonably than on RSD almost a month ago. So, I'll wait a little more on that one.

Did anybody pick up Nightfall of Diamonds?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I got it. Sounds excellent. I will also be in cue for DiP 12 at 10 AM my time.
Dead & Co start their Sphere residency tonight.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Let's try this. A certain band about to start a major residency at a particular location has added a VIP perk.
"We will be screening an iconic live ____show...runs for 3 hours." Inside scoop, anyone?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ordered.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

.....secured. I feel slutty now. Need a shower.
I'm going June 8th. $250. 300 section.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Refreshed at 2 minutes to 1and able to add to the cart and check out in a minute. Funny enough, my notification emails came in 2 minutes later. Good luck to everyone else, and I look forward to RGM's usual quick turnaround. I love how they drop the announcement when they're ready to sell and ship. That helps because they will have done quality checks when they have product in hand. They delayed release on one of the DiPs a couple years ago due to a bad pressing, if I recall correctly. And I love they get Mr. Norman to mix and master from the original tapes, unlike the Brookvale releases, which were cut from the digital files. Can't wait to hear that China Cat in full vinyl glory.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yup, I've ordered it too. Costs an arm and a leg with shipping costs, but it's one of my favourite Dicks Picks - so it's worth it. No one outside this forum I know would think so, but hey ho.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I may be $170 poorer, and the records might not sound much, if any, better than the CDs I already own, but by god I am going to thoroughly enjoy listening to that China Rider on vinyl. Along with the rest of it.

Last five!

Sly Stone: Stand
TTB: Best of the Beacon
Sonny Rollins: A Night at the Vanguard*
Ty Segall: Three Bells
Aaron Copland: Symphony #3

*All you vinyl sluts out there might like to know that Blue Note's "Tone Poet" reissue of Rollins' Vanguard material offers a substantial improvement in audio quality over previous issues. Well worth investing in, even if you already own this music. Hey, it's only money, right?

Round and round and round and round, don't take much to get me on the ground

I say yeah yeah yeah

And I thank you for a real good time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Getting around to the 5-4 material and bonus. Love the jazz dead intro to Comes a Time. Clearly a highlight in this solid release.
As HF stated elsewhere, a nice box would include the Red Rocks/McNichols 1979 shows. Early Brent kills it!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....Go To Nassau.
That Jack Straw is the most metal sounding I've ever heard Jerry. He shreds it I say!

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

Ordered this morning at and checked my email shortly after noon and the shipping notice has already been sent out.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

The movie playing in Vegas during the residency will be Dead and Company: Barton Hall 5/8/23. I might just take that in. I've already paid for it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Still available.
Guess not as hot a commodity as DP1.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but rather be safe than sorry.
Jam -> US Blues will be here Monday.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Was surprised and going to post that as well. I literally got shut out of DiP 1 minutes after the onsale, so I'm baffled. Looking at discogs page on Dick's vinyls, the only RGM one I'll be missing is 24 3/23/74 Cow Palace Wall of Sound test. I have none of the Brookvales, but only sad about missing 8 5/2/70 and 4 2/13-14/70. They've chosen some really good ones to put out.

11/10/67 mmmmm, ahhhhhhh in my best Homer Simpson drool.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html