• 468 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • hendrixfreak
    At least buffalo chips are, by def, dry...

Problem is, Vguy, I'm already a CD slut, a concert slut, and a just plain slut.

That's the upside....

Cheers, HF in Slutland (should be a board game...)

P.S. Anyone here heading to Joe Russo's Almost Dead at the Rocks, June 1?

P.P.S. My dad went out two years ago with dementia. Anyone suffering from it or being a caregiver has my complete support and best wishes. Truly.

• Forensicdoceleven

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

• JoeyMC

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

• topchinacat

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

• Vguy72

....because it's the truth.
    Night, night. 🌙

• proudfoot
    I put a printout of the you'll never regret being kind sentiment

Outside my classroom door, Vguy

Gracias

• proudfoot

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

• Vguy72

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
    🍻
    It's all good y'all.

• proudfoot

Great run

• billy the kiddd

41 years ago I was at the Greek Theatre for another fun night with the Grateful Dead

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Look it up if you’ve never had it.
Best flavor and color out there.

50 arrived today, spinning CD1 now.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Unlike others, I can’t watch hockey and listen at the same time as I run both audio and video through the same receiver.

The sound is good, but a bit muted. DaP49 jumped out of the speakers and really impressed me. It does get better as the show progresses.

So I would say this. It’s kinda like going on a cruise to the Bahamas for your 50th wedding anniversary. It’s fun and all, but really? I would have much rather preferred a trip to Bariloche.

Now we're talking. How many desert island shows can one take for two or three weeks in Patagonia?

I'm hoping we can meander our way through some of these show discussions passively. In the big picture, I learn a lot more from the bunch of you than I can possibly contribute myself. I was thinking about something this week, one of the things the Grateful Dead taught me. That it's ok, even preferred to not be like everyone else. We embrace individuality and are accepting of modest to generous amounts of weirdness. I mean who wants to be part of the moron majority anyway?

I really enjoy hearing from all of you and with a few exceptions no matter what you have to say. Full disclosure I do have a soft spot for many of the Jerry Ballads, but I love the rockers too. Yin and yang.

I was really sorry to read of his recent death. I was lucky enough to see him live twice about 10 years ago. Once in a beautiful converted cinema in little Yorkshire village called Holmfirth. His guitar playing was as great as I'd hoped, and he had one of the most engaging personalities I have ever witnessed from a performer. Genuine humility and warmth. One of the best shows I have ever seen. One where you come out taller than when you went in. I always hoped to be able to see him again.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

If I had only one show I could go to ,5/2/70 would be that show What a show!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

BTK - amen to that. I'd come along with you!
Not long ago, if anyone demonstrated any kind of discernment between years or eras, they would b referred to on here as a "picky Deadhead". It was as though you weren't considered part of the gang if you didn't like everything.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Gentlemen:

Stop being such bad boys and take those Harper College comments to the Pick Of The Day thread, that kind of input is NOT welcome here!!!

I don't say we all ought to misbehave, but we ought to look as if we could......

Rock on,

Doc
It seems that when you get to a certain age you almost give yourself permission to misbehave and say what you think. People allow it, with very old people......

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

Had to get the ears tested... kidding, but it was time and no, I did not think you were trolling on audio fidelity. Just glad I can still hear cymbals. Phil and Friends birthday at the Cap was about at my current limit for live decibels. At home, crank it up to low 90s peaks in celebrations, monitoring with my trusty Radio Shack meter, careful with that cochlea Eugene. Started off with the bonus disc of course, at volume... this is the joy, this is the glory of the remastering, making it easy to listen loud comfortably, experience the timbre of Phil's bass, crisp cymbal work and detail that is barely discernable on the mid fi downloads.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Recordings of Harpur College have been around since the dawn of time. It has a well deserved reputation as classic due to the intense, exceptional music they played that night. Everybody should have a copy...........

With that being said, I actually prefer the Fillmore East show of May 15, 1970. Not sure why, probably because I was constantly dropped on my head as a child.........

Contrary to some self-serving reports, I am okay and strong, I have not hit rock bottom.......

Doc
But I'm working on it......

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

5 3 77 Have 2 listens in, one loud, one not.
Status quo Beatty beauty sonically, especially now I finally have my room treated etc to tame the sledgehammer bass/drums of this era.

More mellow than you’d expect, in a good way, like 76.
More clams than you’d think too. Not terrible, just not full on supermodel flawless. Pretty noticeable one in LL/Sup, and I love how in Sugaree after almost getting out of sync around six minute, they pull back, regroup, then patiently build up where eventually your like and Holly crap from then on! I think that’s what I like about this “time”, like Fivebranch said, it’s wave music. It just slowly ebbs and flows, and when their patient and together it can be quite spectacular.
I’ve been checking out some of the previous nights and kept coming back to what FB said! Wave music!
I’ll have to hear more, and not really being a 77 guy, hesitate to compare, but I’d say I like better than 45 but maybe not as much as 41, and it won’t replace my current 77 fav go tos on the rare occasion I go 77.
But as always, I’m totally enjoying it and all the hard work that went into it, even if it’s not what “I” would have preferred.
I’m glad so many others are really digging it!
Onward! On to 5 4 dot dot dot

Hey, glad I could help DMCVT ; ) and glad you didn’t think I was messin with ya.
I’ve always taken hearing very seriously, perhaps why I still can lol.

In the Space track noticed a very brief Crazy Fingers tease, and at the end, it sounded like Jerry stumbled upon There's a Doctor I've Found from The Who's Tommy, one of the shortest ditties on that double album. Also, at the end of that Sugaree crescendo, around 11 and a half min, it sounds like Bob stumbles upon Walk On the Wild Side and plays with that a few times, not quite the same take on that part he does more often. Or so it seemed. Still digging this one. Though, in the car it was not as loud as on the stereo. And the downgrade to mp3 may have helped that hum, hasn't bothered me in the car.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

What's good about Harpur? That's like asking what's good about bacon. Um, everything?

But seriously. It starts with one of the great acoustic sets ever. Listen to the Garcia's vocals on Rider and tell me this isn't a special night. A great example of a show where the exchange of energy between band and audience just sent the music through the roof. Listen to the jam out of Good Loving just for instance. Great audience riffs. (Hence my header here.) The whole thing has wabi-sabi: feedback shrieks that seem to add to the energy, sections of wobbly rhythm that suddenly lock into hyperdrive. A killer closing sequence of Dew into Viola Lee.

Anyway, glad you brought it up. One of my all time favorite shows, and yet I hadn't listened to it in years. (So much music, so little time,) Sure would like to see this one get the vinyl remaster reissue treatment.

Still haven't cracked the seal on 50. Not sure what's up with that.

Crow - a remastered version of this show did actually get released on Brookvale Records in 2017. Although the acoustic set is in stereo, the electric is still in mono - but it's still a monster. The record also includes "Cold Rain and Snow", which wasn't featured on the cd. It's nothing to write home about, to be honest. But I am definitely in the camp that says this show is one of the all time greats.

user picture

Member for

7 years

First listen, tonight. Bonus disk looks good. Listening to "the guess who" pain train. Pretty groovy song. Nice little jam at end.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by carlo13

Harpur was my gateway into Dicks Picks... which led to investigating the previous 7 and so it dawned upon me, I was back on the bus after a near ten year hiatus. Oro, just kidding about trolling, your comments on re-release formats etc. I know you know audio very well, it continues to please me upon first listens, how lucky we are to have 98% of the music retrievable and upgraded from proverbial bygone eras. Do seem to find a slight 2-3db bump up in the EQ for mid bass, notable with Phil and kick drum, but earhaps that's the best they could do given 18/24db slopes. We are good for 1977, so where's that primal grease box announcement?

Looking good!

First listen underway. So far so good. Really good sound quality as expected.

Yes, when is that box news coming? I am ready.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

Thank you guys for articulating some...

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Psuq my wiggly diq

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

L a m e af

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Go die

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

You are communicating that you dont want my money

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

The Hey Now creator needs to get punched in the nose

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Angering your customers is a bad idea

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I hope you get syphilis

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

In the long run all this doesnt matter anyway

But if I could I would bash your knees with a bat

Several times

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

07/30/66
Early primal DEAD!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

That is also early primal me.
That's the day I was born. Lol
Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Damn Hey Now
Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

...has just arrived. That was a very fast Atlantic Crossing!
And perfect timing too, May 3rd!!
What a beautiful day!
Cheers
G.
Is the HN-Police with me?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

You'll find this, and more, on the expanded version of the band's first album. Would have loved to have been there. This is actually from 7/29/1966, not 7/30. My favorite extra treat on remastered issues, right up there with American Beauty reissue extra treat.. Incredible Baby Blue

...Did you hear what I just heard?...yes, heard that tease on the 1st listen and did a double-take, whaaat was that...

uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

My birthday too.
I was 9 that year.
Listening to Good Lovin' on an AM radio.
But it was The Rascals.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

That's cool as shit man!
I've met 2 other people in my life with my birthday, and one of them was actually born the same day as me.
Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by TN John

TN and 1stshow. I was born 30th July 1955. Those of us across the pond will remember my 11th birthday as the day England won the football world football Cup........the roundball version....oh and up the mighty Wolves

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by docmarty

Nice!
Too bad we can't all get together this July.
Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

Fix the glitch

They obviously deleted Marye

So unnecessarily lame

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

You took the words right out of my mouth

What a clusterfluck

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....can you hear us. Hear us if you please.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html