• 468 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • hendrixfreak
    At least buffalo chips are, by def, dry...

Problem is, Vguy, I'm already a CD slut, a concert slut, and a just plain slut.

That's the upside....

Cheers, HF in Slutland (should be a board game...)

P.S. Anyone here heading to Joe Russo's Almost Dead at the Rocks, June 1?

P.P.S. My dad went out two years ago with dementia. Anyone suffering from it or being a caregiver has my complete support and best wishes. Truly.

• Forensicdoceleven

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

• JoeyMC

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

• topchinacat

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

• Vguy72

....because it's the truth.
    Night, night. 🌙

• proudfoot
    I put a printout of the you'll never regret being kind sentiment

Outside my classroom door, Vguy

Gracias

• proudfoot

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

• Vguy72

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
    🍻
    It's all good y'all.

• proudfoot

Great run

• billy the kiddd

41 years ago I was at the Greek Theatre for another fun night with the Grateful Dead

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by TN John

I always want filler. DaP 7 and DaP 23 annoy the absolute hell out of me with 35 min disc 2s. That said, I very rarely listen to the cd after I get it, I almost immediately rip it, convert it to flac and mp3, put the mp3 on a (or several) USB, read the booklet while doing so, and if there is filler, I put that in a separate folder in order. The filler from 47 ended up going in a folder with the filler from 31, since it was from the same show. I'm less enthused about the single tracks that don't fit ending up on a completely different era release. I would rather that be sent via linq in an email for subscribers.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I think it gets triggered by certain punctuation

Still lame af

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

5-CD changer.
Load all discs.
Use remote.
No problem.
But I do have to be paying attention.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

That's a true psych classic by Tomorrow. If you collect compilations of British psychedelic bands from 1966-1968 you can easily end up with having it 5 or 6 times. Their album is worth checking out too - some great guitar playing by Steve Howe.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

The Dukes of Stratosphear

Neo psychedelia

Good stuff

Bike Ride to the Moon

Must be a tip of the hat to White Bicycle

Yes, they captured the sound perfectly. A while since Iv'e listened to them, so I've just got my Chips From The Chocolate Fireball down for later on.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I was out and about this morning, but didn't think to check if the local record store I had heard was in town was a participant, so headed by later. Was looming for Talking Heads 1977 live show, but they had sold all 8 copies, surprising the owner. He also sold out of The Ramones demos, and Story of The Who which were my only real targets. He did have several copies of Nightfall, and a copy each of the Hampton JGB and the JGB Live from last year. May get one of the JGB later. Passed on Nightfall for now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

My RSD post earlier today got Hey Now’d.

Spinning Nightfall now and it sounds grate.

Phil sounds awesome on vinyl.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Don't Step On The Grass, Sam!
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years

Anyone else pick up this new release?! Loving it! New riders of the purple sage new live release from
Hempsteader: Live At The Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, New York, June 25, 1976 captures the band live and on fire on the heels of their MCA New Riders release. Several of John “Marmaduke” Dawson’s original fan favorites like “Henry,” “Portland Woman” and “Glendale Train” are given prime treatment, especially this version of “Portland Woman” which finds the band stretching out with guitarist David Nelson and pedal steel guitarist Buddy Cage taking the song to new places and heights. The band also delves into covers by the likes of Delbert McClinton, Hazel Dickens, Jack Tempchin, Loudon Wainwright III, Chuck Berry, and tremendous takes on the Otis Redding classic “Hard To Handle” (which Grateful Dead fans will recall from their earlier days) and the The Rolling Stones’ “Dead Flowers.”

As with Thanksgiving In New York City, Field Trip, and Lyceum ’72, this release is helmed and Produced for release by Rob Bleetstein—Host and Producer on SiriusXM’s Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam channels, and NRPS archivist. Bleetstein also provided photos and liner notes. Primo Audio Quality is amazing!

Hempsteader: Live At The Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, New York, June 25, 1976 is a chance to relive that time and place, or just feel like you were there.

CD / DIGITAL TRACK LIST:
PANAMA RED
LITTLE OLD LADY
HONKY TONKIN’ (I GUESS I DONE ME SOME)
FIFTEEN DAYS UNDER THE HOOD
ANNIE MAY
HENRY
DON’T PUT HER DOWN
ASHES OF LOVE
PORTLAND WOMAN
WHISKEY
SHE’S LOOKING BETTER EVERY BEER
TEARDROPS IN MY EYES
I HEARD YOU’VE BEEN LAYIN’ MY OLD LADY
THE SWIMMING SONG
YOU NEVER CAN TELL
HARD TO HANDLE
GLENDALE TRAIN
DEAD FLOWERS

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That does look good LMG.
Saw them in a Western Colorado dive in the early 80s. Asked for Henry and got it.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It is good. There is some amazing playing by Buddy Cage.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I kind of blew off RSD yesterday, which is unusual for me, but there wasn't really anything I was desperate to have and I felt kind of burned out on the crowds and long lines I've seen in recent years. But I popped by the local mom and pop this afternoon and what do you know? They've still got a copy of the Lowell George record, which was pretty much the only thing I was interested in anyways.

(I already Nightfall of Diamonds and JGD at the Eel on CD.)

And I have to say I'm really surprised how great the record sounds. "Recut from the original master tapes", whatever that means. The fi is surprisingly hi. But mostly, the songs are just better than I remember. Great vocals, of course. So why was I disappointed in this record when it came out? Anyway, the reissues (which two sides worth of bonus tracks) kind of rules.

Oh I want to find me a river
Take it down to the sea
And drift by so slowly
If you think about me you know you could help me through

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

Grew up with a SBD of this. Great stuff!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks for the heads up, LMG. Mine's on the way. Saw some shows at the Calderone around that time. I recall it being a concrete shoebox of a dump. Somehow the recordings sound great.
Snagged the Flying Burrito Bros. Live in Amsterdam at RSD. Really long line. Saw a copy of JGB on the Eel and let it lay. Happy with the CD.

You may have been disappointed for the same reason as me.
I saw it as the end of Little Feat, and that made me sad.
The album has aged well.
One of my least favorite Neon Park album covers.
Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years

Just what the world needs another 1977 release, hardly a milestone for DP50! I'll just file it alongside the other 7 x Dave's Picks, 5 x Dick's Picks from 1977. Where are all the Pigpen shows? Something from the 1960s would be really welcome.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It seems to me to be very much a celebratory release for Dave and for his series of Picks. That's the anniversary being acknowledged, which has nothing to do with the band's history. As such, releasing another Spring 1977 show adds a certain symmetry to the whole thing, with the first one coming from this era.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Earth Day tees are very cool. The Arches and the Desert are my favorites.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

38 years ago today I was at the B.C.T. to see the good old Grateful Dead. What a start it was , the Dead kicked off the show with Box of Rain into Visions of Johannna . Don't remember much about the rest of the show, those 2 songs were worth the price of admission.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Congratulations. The Leafs toughed this one out despite a couple of really stupid penalties. The Jets looked good as well. Really fun game to watch.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

I was at the 5/4/77 Show ...I remember it as being really Good, I Believe it was My Girlfriend's (At the Time), First Show, seeing the Dead, I got on the Bus Late...1969...My 1st Show Live was in 1973,,,The Late 60's till 1979, (Up till when Keith and Donna Left) were My Favorite Years seeing The Dead, I'm Really looking Forward to this C D ...(I Remember Watkins Glenn and Englishtown, NJ as being Great Shows too, Have that Englishtown C D ...Watkins Glen in July 1973 would have been a Great # 50 also...Maybe 51 ?.....Thank You for Putting out this Great Music,,,Have a Blessed Night. TOM-TOM.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Shipping notice received

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

... waits for you patiently...

THNX to CROW & TNJOHN;

that 1st cut on Lowell's release was the 1st song played at our wedding 26 yrs. ago and it was selected by my bride,
yes, finally, a wedding ceremony after being together for 10 yrs said ALL the family members lol,

hoping that someday you'll see...
...that all she really wants to be...
is yours and yours alone ETERNALLY

PEACE for ALL!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by wharfrat6969

I personally think the 2nd set of 5/4/77 is perhaps the best set of the whole of the May 77 tour. It just seems to have a balance to it that is unparalleled. The Playing / Comes A Time / Playing reprise -- perfect.

Bizarre year

Some gems
Some not gems

Sickly Jerry edging toward almost dying Jerry

4/19/86
3/21/86

More gem moments than full shows

4/22/86 with Box and Visions

Ja gerne

What if JG had been a health nut like Bob W

Hmmm

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

One of the years best!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I 100% agree with you on your 5/4/77 assessment the entire show is to me BETTER than 5/8.
Now onto 4/23/77 another gem from the fabled Spring Tour 1977. I wonder if the rest of Spring Tour '77 will ever get released it all should be Normanized.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Today is the official German Beer Day.
Reminds me of something to do!
Cheers to you all, while waiting for DaP 50.
G.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Enjoy the official day!
Think I'll have a lager.
Prost!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Finally found the cat...

No shipping notice, amazing for Simon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

If you’re not currently watching the hockey game between the FLAs, do yourself a favor and turn it on. Unbelievable action.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....I finally realized there is a new corner of the block to hang out on with all the cool kids.
I'm usually late to parties.
Currently enjoying my Almost Acoustic vinyl.
I bent but didn't break regarding the Phish Sphere show pricing, so I bought music instead!!
I also spent the better part of a couple weeks checking out early '86 Dead shows while at work.
Some good. Some ehh. Throw a dart.
I'm well Gary. Thx

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Also agree with WissominDeadHead, Springfield Massachusetts is a must release, The set list is stacked, much like 5/4. {I am still partial to 5/8 Dancin' Streets} Technically 4/23 is more stacked than maybe even Cornell? Anyways I just got my Dave's notice with clickable tracking number to boot, so good job & thanks Dead.net! Also as a final thought, since a 1976 release is due. The Jersey City show at Rosevelt Stadium 8~4~76 would make a grand Dave's release! Peace & Trees be with all of thee on this Earth Day.

user picture

Member for

1 year 3 months

Been hoping for an official 4/23/77 release. One of my fave and most listened to shows

A complete 5/22/77 would be nice too

Until then, my Charlie Miller SBDs of each will have to do

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

...SCHEISSE, verpasst!
dann muessen wir heute zwei Bierchen trinken
prost, prost!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

6/13/76 due 6/14/24. The t-shirt is to cool for school.
PLAY GARCIA
PLAY GARCIA LIVE

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html