• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Nick1234

Charley Patton

Robert Johnson

Leadbelly

Beatles at Cavern

GRATEFUL DEAD AT MAGOO'S PIZZA PARLOR

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Nick1234

It was decades past his peak - one of the last performances he ever gave, I think - but I would loved to have seen Son House at the 100 Club in London during the summer of 1970. He was joined on harmonica by Alan Wilson on a couple of songs. Mesmerising. a great cd of this called "Delta Blues and Spirituals" came out twenty odd years ago.

To me Robert Johnson had more sensitivity, and a more highly developed sense of rhythm than earlier country blues singer/ guitarists. But there are many, many wonderful musicians from the 1920's and 30's that are worth checking out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It is hard to nail down just one must-see show, so:
- Dylan goes electric at Newport
- Gram Parsons’ era Flying Burrito Bros
- Garcia & Saunders at Keystone
- Hank Williams (sober)
- Dylan & The Band 1974 Tour

Some great suggestions have been previously listed.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Nick's choice led me to look up my Hughes Stadium Ft. Collins, CO show.
Apparently I have been conflating my two shows seen a year apart at that venue for years. I thought I had seen The Beach Boys and Bob Dylan on the same day. Turns out that Chicago/Beach Boys show at Hughes was 7-6-75 and Bob's Rolling Thunder (aptly named as it rained for that show) was 5-23-76. How in the world I ever thought Bob and the Beach Boys were on the same bill is laughable. But I have read that Bob claimed to be able to sing any Beach Boys song from memory and was a fan of Brian Wilson so maybe not that far fetched.
The Rolling Thunder Review was panned by some for the different arrangements but that's just "Judas" talk. He was always mixing it up and admired the GD for never playing a song the exact same way twice. My memory of the show is obviously a little mixed up but at the time I thought it was very cool and hip. Very long show with a helluva set list. I had just turned 19 and caught a ride with a neighborhood classmate from high school who was a cute little cheerleader and way above my pay grade and social group but she had a friend we could stay with in Ft. Collins and was willing to drive so away we went with three others. We camped in a side yard and were harassed at midnight by cops who said there was no camping allowed on city right of way (which we were not on) so we all packed back into the party house on the floor. It rained later so it worked out OK. I guess I can check out the show on video as it was filmed for the Hard Rain thing. Not sure I've ever watched it so thanks Nick for the reminder. Highlight for me at 19 was that little cheerleader riding on my shoulders so she could see as we were back around the 50 yard line. The rain had stopped, sun came out and a girl is riding my neck. Not bad!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

1st Show - The Rolling Thunder tour would have been great to see. A high school pal got to go and said it was awesome, for all the reasons you listed. I know film of the show you saw exists, but I’ve never seen it, and I’m not sure it is commercially available, save the Hard Rain soundtrack.

I am quite pleased with all the shows I have seen. Still an acid test would be great, especially the one at Big Nig's house. Reading about that one over at (jerrygarcia's brokedown palaces) makes me wish I could have been there. Stones the same night, city on fire, (although Stones near San Jose?)!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Great article on Panther, she is quite the work of art! Thanks! I am also on email list for Meyer Sound.

Quote from Article: Company founders John and Helen Meyer, who attended the final shows in San Francisco, celebrated their past relationships but also looked forward to new possibilities. “This final tour closes an important chapter in the story of the Dead in its many forms,” says Executive Vice President Helen Meyer. “But it’s not the end of the book. There’s still more to come, with the people and the music"

I am also on Meyer Sound's mailing list, need to see if Ultrasound has a mailing list.

My rocknroll fantasy: Work for Meyer or Ultrasound. Both engineering Monsters!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'll look for that soundtrack.
Better check my collection first, lol.
Cheers
Just ordered newly reissued vinyl from RGM: Aereo-Plain by John Hartford.
Considered the first "newgrass" album by none other than Sam Bush.
"Without Aereo-Plain there would be no newgrass."
Has Vassar, Tut Taylor, Norman Blake, and Randy Scruggs on it.

Love..."When a Man Loves a Woman." I very much enjoy her discussions on the documentary "Muscle Shoals." "From the Heart of Me" lyrics sound so close to what she described in the documentary. So a huge "Happy Birthday" to you this day. Been a while since I went to Muscle Shoals, wonder if you still live around there or hang around there...also loved her on "In the Ghetto" "Kentucky Rain" and "Suspicious Minds."

Saw the Swampers a few years back (like spring 2016, maybe 17) back when they played kind of ending show for/with Cowboy at a local watering hole. It was really good!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Heading out to LA to see Metallica at SoFi Friday night. I'm not crazy about Pantera but I'm down to see Ed's kid again. He's a special one. Doing dumb tourist shit like hiking up to the Hollywood sign, hanging out at Capitol Records and getting loaded at the Rainbow. Hitting Norm's Rare Guitars. Say what you will, Hollywood is never boring.

Speaking as a dirty old man, Taylor Swift has really nice thighs. I'm not woke and I will not apologize for that, ever. Go ahead and cancel me I never cared about anyone who does anyway. About the highest backhanded compliment I can pay her. Actually, she seems like a decent human but the disconnect between my reality and her product is ocean-sized. The Swiftie phenomenon is just like Trumpism - there's nothing there but mass hypnosis and needy people needing to belong. That being said, I'd vote for her and her thighs to be President over Dump every time.

There's a "desert island top 5" going around another site I peruse. My biggest hang-up is, can one include box sets? Because if one was a) on a desert island, where does the electricity and playback apparatus come from? and b) I guess this assumes "name only 5 albums you can listen to for the rest of your life."

I think this puts box sets out... I mean, a 17 disc Dead box is kind of cheating, isn't it?

I'm going to cheat anyway, sort of, with my first pick which, by the way, would be the one Dead album I'd choose over all others ever if I could only have one. But it fits in a double wide cd case which is the limit for this exercise.

Desert island top 5:

Ladies and Gentlemen... the Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead
Best of the Doors - The Doors
Aerosmith's Greatest Hits - Aerosmith
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

I think there's enough rock, enough jazz and enough space to get me through... hopefully I'll find a Wilson volleyball and learn to like eating fish before it's all said and done.

Peace.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by LedDed

...."awake to social injustice and
racial persecution". I guess I'm woke. Poor me. How will I survive.
The GOP is too busy butting heads to even care.
Good for them I guess.
Anywho. Walking the dogs on a very nice evening here.
Ledded. I went and saw Metallica streamed live from a Dallas concert at a movie theater this past weekend. They are actually mixing up sets! And they've been practicing. Ignore Lars's tongue. Thank God it wasn't in 3D.
They played Leper Messiah and Orion. Always welcome. Enjoy Hollywood. Buy a flower from the street vendors. I did.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Yeah, so lame/limiting…
Over 60 years upon my head, and I’ve come to the conclusion there’s basically only two kinds of people in this world: aholes and folks who give a shit. Race, sex/gender, socio economic status, culture, all boils down to empathy and caring! All that hippie dippy cool GD cultural stuff.
I went to school, even a year of grad school, for Social research etc, and even with all their classifications and stratifications etc, that seems to be it, are you kind? Ole Hunter yet again!
Used to seem like most folks were more of the latter, nowadays, unfortunately, it seems like there’s more of the former?

GARY et el, calling all geeks!
You probably caught these, but I just checked out GOGD podcast fir first time yesterday, specifically the cool Long Strange Tech, parts 1 and 2 I think it was called? Holy guacamole Batman, good sheet Mon!
The Acid test Hug a cop episode was pretty fun too!

EDIT: Our very own Mary E talking with Jer on episode 2 of Long Strange Tech!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Also uses a huge Meyer Sound sound system. Not sure why...It's not like they are trying to project halographic or as OB called them, I think, psycho-accoustics. Are they becoming a metal jam band?

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

I think of an old commercial jingle from childhood

"When it says Libby's Libby's Libby's
On the label label label
You will like it like it like it
On the table table table"

Advertising is a sinister business, I tell ya

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

I am with Vguy. 100% sure my maker wants me to be a decent and kind human being. So yah I am going with that. Thx.

Sweeney Todd says it best

Because in all of the whole human race
Mrs. Lovett, there are two kinds of men and only two
There's the one staying put in his proper place
And the one with his foot in the other one's face

Truth can be dark.

Luckily we're a cheery bunch :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

“Time Of The Season” by the Zombies.
Playing it twice in a row didn’t help. A somewhat spacey tune in just over 3 minutes.

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
– Winston Churchill
There is always two sides to a story, both worth hearing.

I always thought there was three sides to every story: his side, her side, and the truth somewhere in the middle ; )

RIPPLE, in still water, when there is no pebble tossed.
I’ve always felt like folks would go to a dead show or two or six, and then take that loving, peaceful easy feeling and spread it round out in the world, like that ripple in still water. Consciously or not, it always felt like that group consciousness we’d get at shows would be integrated into the world at large. Might be real subtle but it felt real…
Now I know this will sound goofy to some, but it seemed like after JG passed, and those big waves stopped going out into the world, the world seemed to step up its pace down the road that has proceeded and increased into much of the darkness that is prevalent today. It’s not like black or white, but subtle. I mean how many million? people a year (in the nineties anyway) per year, times 30 years experienced the Dead. Obviously not all we’re changed/influenced, but I’m sure the percentage was very high. So it’s not crazy to think that all those folks taking that “it” with them back out into the world, could have helped balance some of that negativity/darkness, even if just a little, then…..poof
Like what Mickey spoke of at the last Fare Thee Well show…

Speaking of ear worms, thanks for putting that in our head all day PF, lol

That song has been in my head today. Did someone post a few days back about it? Did I see some music documentary, like on AXS TV, that talked about the Zombies? I am pretty sure on the second question but will have to go backwards to go forwards on the first question. Meaning, I am pretty sure I saw something on AXS TV.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

This place always makes me feel better. Thanks to all (Or almost 100% all)!
Making me Smile right now!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I can only think I heard a snippet on the radio or something, or read something. That’s the thing about earworms - they come and go in their own time.
But very weird we get the same one at the same time. Now, about those winning lottery numbers…

5 28 95

good stuff so far:

Jack Straw
Let It Grow
Crazy Fingers -> Corinna (yes, Corinna) -> Drums -> Space -> (time will tell)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....going with 3.19.90 Hartford Civic Center.
Did not peak at the set list.
Hell In A Bucket raging right out of the gate. Coincidence??
Oh, and the bottom of the box tore on the edges on both sides. First world problems lol. Got glue?
I am a Corinna fan yes. And I was at that Portland Meadows show Stoltz. Chuck Berry bitches! That was the first one. It was the better of the two and the fraying of the edges of the Persian rug was becoming apparent at that point in time. But goddamn if I didn't enjoy the ride.
Damn. They were on 🔥 in 1990. ❤️ the second set Cumberlands. Kudos to whoevers idea that was.
33 years later, Brent's We Can Run....still applies.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It seemed to me at the time - 1975-1995 roughly, that listening to The Dead had a very positive effect on my life, and did influence the way I worked in my own very different sphere. But that influence came from listening to their records - on my own. Specifically, Anthem and Live Dead for the emphasis on improvisation, mind expansion etc, and American Beauty - for obvious reasons. I don't think seeing them live influenced me a jot though.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Hate to disagree, but the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp version of Sweeney Todd sucked big moose dick!!!

I don't and never will understand why you make a musical with people who can't sing!!! My Fair Lady anyone?

Just for arguement sake I saw the original cast twice on Broadway. Johnny who?

And the very worst part, the unforgiveable part, is that they cut the first act ending song, A Little Priest!!! Arguably the BEST song of the show.

Now take this Burton/Depp abortion of a movie and never darken my doorway again with this kind of talk!

:-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Rex Reed has got nothing on you, Dennis!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

Ha, I knew Dennis was gonna say that lol
Don’t be messin with D trains musicals ; )

DR: I think it was more about the group consciousness obtained from being with all those like minded people, especially when so many were in a “heightened” state of consciousness, all extremely focused on the same thing, and the emotional influences of the music, and how it was taking place in that particular time and space…
It’s a sociological phenomena that can be experienced in similar ways among any large, like minded crowd.
A football stadium full of rapid fans for instance, though their group consciousness is probably not expanded in the same positive way exactly. From what you’ve described of your limited show experiences I fear you missed some of that? Getting snockered on depressants in the balcony and passing out probably didn’t facilitate this experience, but I’m sure many people go just to listen to music, not experience it on another level.
Like, it doesn’t matter what you ware, just as long as you are there …it’s a about tge overall experience as much as tge music, if that makes sense?
OK, this isn’t coming out right, it’s too early to think this much lol, somebody who “knows”, please help us out here, or DR is gonna take this all wrong and we don’t want that…

How bout,

My baloney has a first name
It’s O S C A R
My baloney has a second name it’s
M E Y E R …
Ha take that PF! ; )

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - yes, I think I know what you mean. I have experienced being in large crowds of people at celebratory events, although the 5 Dead shows I saw didn't quite affect me like that. When I was very young, still a child, seeing Manchester United, when George Best and Denis Law were still playing was amazing. I had never been amongst such a large crowd, and had only seen football on a tiny little black and white television-so the colours and sound of the crowd, even before the players came, out was amazing.
In my mid teens, the early rock concerts I saw had an energy about them - again incredible volume, power, songs I liked, and a sense of having found "my people". Of all bands, Black Sabbath were maybe the most like that -a truly joyous occasions. You'd never guess it, just listening to the albums. Seeing The Stones had that vibe for me, too.

It can also go badly wrong, of course, this group mind thing, as I am thinking about it. Gangs of people have committed all sorts of crimes and atrocities that individually they would never have done otherwise.
I also often have a tendency to stand outside things I am a part of - and maybe that happened when I was on my own at the Dead shows. When I wasn't on my own, I was falling out with my girlfriend or some damn thing. I really enjoyed the shows - but the most pleasure I have had listening to the Dead wasn't actually at live shows, but has been at home. Long may it continue !

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Yes that’s it. And I didn’t mean to insult you or sound elitist, it’s just your descriptions of your live Dead experiences, compared to as you say other concerts etc, made me think you unfortunately didn’t get to enjoy the full Monty.
Again, no offense but I imagine seeing them under less than ideal circumstances in England, probably was not the same as tripping in the dust with several tens of thousands of dancing freaks all peaking simultaneously with the band and song, at say Hampton, or Philly, oye all that positive energy…
The example that immediately pops into me noggin is the Shakedown from 6/30/85.
I can still see and feel the multiple peaks that rolled through the dust stomping crowd completely being driven by the music. Basically, like 30k people having a simultaneous orgasm!
But you understand the point, and it’s awesome that you get some of that from just the music, but I’m bummed for you that you may not have gotten the full Dead experience.

EDIT: I guess what I’m saying is, take what you felt at those other powerful large group experiences, and multiply it logarithmically….tripping on the floor at a smoking GA Dead show back in the day was like a playoff football stadium all tripping, at tge peak of the game…. times 11! And even Nigel can’t go above 11 ; )

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Little Willy, go home now...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It depends a lot on the group. Audiences in England are far more reserved than their American counterparts. As a result there is far less of a sense of being part of a group. That doesn't mean that English audiences don't appreciate the music, rather there is less of a vibe from the audience to pick up on.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

I would definitely agree that American audiences are more expressive than British ones, going off those 3 Dead concerts at Wembley in 1990. It was quite surprising to me how vocal many of them were in there appreciation of the music. Nothing wrong with that at all, either - just different.

There are also, of course, exercises in group consciousness that have nothing to do with sport or music. Group meditation sessions can give you a feeling of being at one with the other participants. Whether that is imaginary or not, I couldn't say. One of my friends recently told me he once went on a Buddhist Retreat, in which all the residents were completely silent for the week they spent together. He reckoned that after a few days, he could tell what people were thinking without talking. Again, I don't know how true that was.

Oro - no offence at all in what you say. Always good to chew the fat, as they say.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Yeah, that was my guess as I’ve unfortunately never been to England.
Just thought from all I’ve heard/read that it’s definitely more outwardly reserved there, but of course jumping around like an idiot doesn’t mean yer getting “it” lol In the old days it was definitely more inward. As the crowds grew, that wasn’t necessarily the case. More doesn’t mean better lol.
I guess I mean that as our friends across the pound didn’t get to see as many shows, or travel around with the touring city, (we are everywhere is probably something folks here understand) and deal with redneck ahole cops who wipe their arse with the constitution, or experience days or weeks at a time camping/partying etc, massive Shakedown streets etc, the WHOLE GD experience, experienced from the ground up, versus “going to a concert”, you might not have been able to fully “understand”.
Now I’m not suggesting you HAD to experience all that to understand, just think there’s a socialization that perhaps was different and not as prevalent over there? Just a band/music, and not as much a way of life , and so all the years, milage, adventures, good and bad, perhaps might foster a different kind of knowing?
An Experiential knowledge perhaps, more than just a interested fan, or someone with only unbridled enthusiasm!
Perhaps more like the knowledge obtained from being in a war on the front lines, versus just studying it, or being on the periphery?

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The current Burger King commerical.... don't know how they get away with it....

BJ have it your way....

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Brilliant, never put that 2gether!!! Except its BK isnt it??? "You rule!"

haha got me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

He’s a rascally rascal ; ) one might even say a menace yuck yuck. Get it? ; )
My gutter mind didn’t catch it at first either lol
See what you started PF!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Like a wart, it grew on me. My fav is 5-26-93, but admittedly I rarely dive deep and compare.

Going in to check out 5-28-95; you always steer me right Stoltzie!

How about your fav? Any recommendations?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I always dug the version on The Other Ones’ release “The Strange Remain”. Like a pot simmering and boiling up…

I am pretty sure in the last 2 weeks I saw a documentary on psychedelic music on AXS tv. I think they may have said that Time of the Season was the first psychedelic hit. To me that doesn't sound right, I mean Magical Mystery Tour was already out. This show is done by a group out of England. They are interesting to listen to, but I question them some. On their show about psychedelia, they followed ELP, the Moody Blues, and one other, maybe Zombies. But yet, no mention of the Beatles, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and for me the Allman Brothers Band. But it is odd, that we had the same song going thru our heads at the same time. According to my Chinese take-out the lotto numbers should be 07-11-67-64-69.

Edit: Sgt. Peppers brain fog

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html