• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Looks like the bases have been covered.

I never think about selling (yet). I guess it depends on if she wants maximum return on dollar or wants to brighten a heads day. Selling here would offer followers a good first shot. You hate to think you're doing a good deed passing something along to someone who really wanted it, only to see it on ehay for twice that the next day.

I saw a week or so back someone had their entire collection up (decent collection),,, they wanted 17K.

I leave the selling to my son. If he has kids someday, he can pass down,,,, if he wants to sell off,,,, well that's 100% profit to him regardless of price obtained.

In the end,,, I'm dead and it don't matter. Could be a song there.....

It don't matter to me if you sell my collection
and it don't matter to me, because I'm dead and gone
don't need money no more. Dead and gone, can't spend no more.
Time ain't on my side.

something like that anyway :-)

Thanks for the heads up - I’ll check it out later tonight at home.
This site is getting pretty psychic lately - last week Gary and I are “hearing” the same song earworm, and now I’m driving playing Phish (“New Years Eve 1995”) when DMCVT’s note comes through.
(Twilight Zone theme)

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I missed 100's of band in the 70's, but the ones I saw or got albums by keep cropping up on here. Like Uriah Heep. They were a great live band and whenever they came to Manchester between 1973 and 1975 I traipsed off to see them. "Gypsy" was their magnum opus - very powerful live and the original version on "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" is still jaw dropping. That's a great album by my 1970's standards - and "Look At Yourself" is also worth checking out, with the title track and "July Morning" featured. Life was so much simpler then. And so much louder.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Wow, there’s a blast from the past.
One of my first concerts in 78 was Jethro Tull with UH opening.
At one point, probably near the end of their set, UH were playing so loud they blew the power on the stage lol.
Still have a little piece of the big balloons JT sent out into the crowd…

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Double post, haven’t had that in awhile.
Double the pleasure, double the fresh…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

For fans of the great Wayne Shorter, Amazon Prime is showcasing a 3 part documentary on his extraordinary life & career, entitled “ Wayne Shorter: Zero Gravity”. To me, Shorter was one of the top figures to emerge from jazz.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Oro ! I saw Tull twice in 77 (almost back to back, once in LA followed immediately by a show in the midwest)... featuring those huge white balls being thrown around! I have exactly 4 photos of those shows that have survived all these years ... was intrigued by the music, the Thick as a Brick newspaper album, and Aqualung of course. They, and a few other Tull albums stand the test of time IMO........tcc

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

36 years ago we were at the Greek Theatre to hear Garcia play a gig. Bonnie Raitt was the opening act and she sat in with Garcia for a couple of songs. We were at the Electric on the Eel the day before, so we were beat, but it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

So sad
So young
So talented

I never got to see him live but did see him perform streaming on multiple occasions. From the first notice, I liked this guy. He was fucking awesome. To see him perform and sing Dear Prudence with Phil was a delight. An excellent saxophone player also. I'm pretty sure I posted something about the next day on one of these forums. ....and I just recently got turned on to him.

Wow.. so sad, I'm a little bit depressed now. A tip of the glass to Mr. Casey. A great loss.

BTK, I was at those 87 Greeks also. The only time I made to the Greek. I came with memories and one of my favorite T-Shirts, a dancing bear being lifted up over the crow at the Greek with a big ass smile on his face and the caption "I Peaked at the Greek"

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

41 years ago today we were up at the Oregon Country Fairgrounds for a rocking day with the Good old Grateful Dead. It was a cool scene, the Dead played really good . They were going to play there in 1992 for 3 shows but Garcia got sick . I still have my tickets for the cancelled shows. Robert Cray and Peter Rowan both played before the Dead.

James Casey Phil Lesh and Dear Prudence, I think it will bring you to a capitol theatre show on Phil's (belated) party there this last March. None of us knew it but he was dying of cancer as he performed it. Rick Mitarotonda from Goose slips in some tasty lead guitar, the guy from Goose is just getting started and finding his stride. Wonder high he will soar?

Anyway.. Casey plays a mean sax also, was so fun to watch. Big smiles and overflowing with raw talent and raw emotion. At 40? Guess it's better than 27.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

It's terribly sad to constantly be reading about the deaths of SO Many musicians that we all love. But we still have the music!! So, I choose to play the music and celebrate the life!!
DAVEROCK-so funny to me about Uriah Heep. Friends of mine that love the same bands rarely agree on favorite song or album. The 1973 Live album (Black Cover) is my shining Star of U.H. albums. Demons and Wizards is a close second.
In America, Very 'Eavy Very '`Umble was titled "Uriah Heep" with an abysmal cover. I never bought it. "Look At Yourself" is indeed a fine record also. "Horses for Courses".

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

saw them in Oct. of 73, opening for Joe Walsh and Barnstorm. The only thing I can really remember about them is that they were annoying. They had this hit out called "Were all crazee now" and was real big in UK but never made it here in the US. They played the crazy song and expected everyone to get up and flip out, didn't happen as we were all there to see Joe. As they were playing the song, they kept flipping off everyone, all of them were giving the audience the bird. This is Tampa Florida in 1973, needless to say, the locals did not appreciate the bird and began booing and screaming cat calls and other forms of displeasure at their performance. After their set, and many boos, they came out for what was going to be an encore, but they got booed right off the stage.
Later after Joe had done this killer set and the entire place was vibrating he comes back out for the encore and says "You guys are crazy" which did not go over well as we had just been flipped off by this band who's big hit was about being crazy, Joe apologized and tore into a killer version of Funk 49 to close out the show. That Barnstorm line up was just so good, with another Joe, Vitalie on percussion, drum kit and flute and vocals. After the show the topic never returned to slade, the overall consensus was that they sucked. Early punk did not go over very well in Florida.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

I have listened to a bunch of their stuff over the past few days. Some good stuff, some so-so.

Get Down and Get With It
Cum On Feel The Noize
Run Run Away (I realized that had filtered down to me in the early 80's, but didn't know who it was by)

a good time band. loved by many apparently, not loved by a few apparently.

You toob allows for historical musical research. I love it.

Mr Ones - I will have been at the Manchester show on the tour that Uriah Heep Live 1973 was recorded.Yes, that's another really good one. I haven't heard it since the 70's - it was really expensive last time I looked online for a copy. I remember they had a moog synthesizer . In the ear,y 70's, all sorts of unlikely, hard rocking bands, did. Black Sabbaths
mid 70' s albums had them - The Groundhogs...it was as though no one quite new what to do with these new fangled things, and what sort of music they could fit into. After "Low" by David Bowie they seemed to be taken over by new wave pop bands. And we don't want to go there. And disco - which I never listened to at all - although "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer now sounds like one of the best records of the decade.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I love it!! David Byron calls it a "Moog Simplifier" and also complains about getting chewing gum stuck on his boot. 2 of my fave examples of "stage banter"!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

2 nice phish shows this weekend. (donated to WW)

Then, of course, Veneta. Man that is soooo goood.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Posted on utube, check out
SPAC Foundation Acoustic Pre Show with Trey Anastasio and Page McConnell

....I bought a cap and donated $25.
The Waterwheel Foundation is a good one.
And unlike some certain former presidents with mug shots, it's a legit place to donate. But that's just me.
Gonna check out those acoustic sets soon. Thanks for the tip.
Derek. Trucks. Still blown away.
Edit. Very nice acoustic set so far. I was blessed to see the entire band play an acoustic set on the last day of Festival 8 back in 2009.
Hating on Farmhouse is an inside joke amongst fans.
Trey has apparently had a vocal coach for a few years now. And it shows 🍻
And to the fans that saw that last show, I'm super jealous. Good job.
One of the best stories ever is when Page saw them play in 1985, and told Jon Fishman, "I'm going to play in your band". They were only two years old at that time. He looks like an accountant, but rages. Love this band. 40 years and still killing it. Much props.
I have noticed that they are starting to use teleprompters. Whatever works. They are pushing 60 and have a huge catalog to remember. Shit. I'm 55 and lost my car the other day. Long story. I'll just say this. Be careful with edibles. They either kick your ass or laugh at you.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

On this week's GD Hour. Some interesting mash-ups.
6-24-23 Boston - DS/ Big River Jam>TOO Jam
6-27-23 Noblesville - Big River>DS (in big river groove time)
Some Bob and John M. interviews about these.
7-1-23 Boulder - Sugar Mag>Scarlet Begonias>Sunshine Daydream
Nice fresh little taste for those of us who didn't go or stream.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The last 5, including some “deep dive” Phish
- Page McConnell - S/T
- Trey Anastasio - Paper Wheels
- Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order
- Wayne Shorter - Native Dancer
- Grateful Dead - DaP 47

Two cents - I really like a concert, or an album, that comes out of the gate charging, like race horses at the starting line. Fast, grabs you right from the get go. While DaP 47 certainly is a decent release, and I was excited for the Alabama Getaway opener, the song really sounded anemic, almost mailed in, and a lot of that had to do with Brent’s rinky dinky keyboards on the tune. IMHO, I really thought his keyboard choices took great performances down a notch.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

My initial impression was that this was a decent release, but I am now amending my view to state that this is a sub-par release. Outside of the Shakedown Street, this one doesn't offer any superlative versions of anything. I am sure it was a fine concert to attend, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I like the Uptown Theater release and the late December shows (one DiP and one RT) better for late 79. It is ok, but probably won't get a lot of listens over time.

Subscriber since year 3 and this is the first year that has me wondering if I am going to subscribe again next year. I am feeling a bit over-saturated and this year's shows are just not grabbing my attention like others. 2022 was a stellar year with that 'perfect' Baltimore show, Winterland 2/74, amazing newfound gems with the Carousel and SMU 1969 shows, and the Oregon 1990 show is a good late Brent show. I am hardly listening to this year's releases. I may save my funds for the boxes in the future as I end up passing on a lot of those due to familial obligations. That said, I like getting 4 shows in my mailbox throughout the year with minimal effort on my part. We'll see what 48 has in store for us and how 49 looks, but am leaning against a sub again next year.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I think Dave's #48 will be from 1968 or 1970. If its from 1970, hopefully its 9/20/70, what a fantastic acoustic set!

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I listen to this last night looking at the Blue Moon. Amazing Jerry. This release continues to blow my doors away! Incredible show. Looking forward to that other one Dave teased about!

Good idea Vguy, gonna pop on the SACD version I got a couple years ago, love how those SACDs can play in car, stereo, or DVD/BluRay and still impart some of that awesomeness in the car stereo. If I make the drive long enough, might just take the SACD of Wish You Were Here as well... Shine On and Blues would make for a helluva mashup...

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Fantastic album! I think they only played the song Blues for Allah 3x, I saw them play one of the versions at Winter land on 6/17/75. Very Cool!

Intriguing that Scarlet Rivera has a sticker with this image on the violin she played during the Rolling Thunder Revue in 1975. She is asked about it in the Martin Scorsese film, but disappointingly doesn't mention The Dead.
It is a great picture. And album, come to that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Aw man, not Jimmy too?
Weirdly, I just woke from a dream where someone served me a cheeseburger.
But I was not in Paradise.
Cheers to him.

....the beer selection sucked, so I got a margarita.
Found out Buffet passed after the show.
Things that make you go "hmmmm".
Weezer was fun. Spoon, one of the openers, was really fun. I'll be keeping an eye on them. Missed White Reaper, the first band due to major rains here again. Stupid Uber driver went the long way. It was a Tesla. Neat car

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Caribbean winds blow him safely to the Big Cheese Burger in paradise!
Yeah, I had some weird thoughts about him yesterday. Hadn’t thought about him in a long time and my thought was a bit more than the normal quick kinda thing that often pops in there. Like, I was thinking “wonder if he’s still playing, how he’s doing etc, how old is he?” I shit thee not! Outta no where, I started thinking unordinary thoughts about a guy I never think of…

user picture

Member for

1 year 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

I thought I read somewhere that SACDs only play in SACD players. So I've always avoided them, even though it didn't really make sense to me.

I'm listening to Dave's 27 (9/2/83) It actually sounds like a cassette compared to the HCS box...

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

I think Rhino is still using the HDCD format.

It doesn't surprise me that it sounds like a cassette, it was sourced from the Cassette Master. It's a shame they did not continue using Reel to Reels.. hindsight. They had little to no idea this stuff would be so sought after 40 + years later.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Hey Joey,

You are correct. SACDs will only play in SACD players. Same principal with DVD audio. I have a Sony system that plays both formats.
There are some SACD Hybrids that will play in all players. When they are in a non SACD player they will play in the standard two channel and when they are in a SACD player they will play in Multi Channel.
I was a big fan of multi channel releases and own quite a few. The only problem for me, outside of a few studio releases, there are of course no dead releases in these formats.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Yeeesh, where does the time go?
Skipped my first day of college (that was sign right there lol) to see the boys in ole Crotchfester, front row in front of Phil. He came out early to tweak his rig but people were carrying on so much he got pissed and left lol Heineken glued to his arm every minute the bass wasn’t. Killer show, and my first Dew!

user picture

Member for

1 year 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thank you for the information. I did see a Garcia/Grisman SACD somewhere, which is what got me looking into it in the first place....

I'm going to break out Dave's 38 (9/8/73) soon, which is one that I listened to more than any other when I first got it. I listened to 42 almost as much...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html