• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In 11/20/71. When I first saw this rumor a couple hours ago here, I looked up the setlist hoping it had a Dark Star. Nope, almost the same setlist from Albuquerque. Which, I loved DaP 26 11/17/71 and 12/14/71. I'd be surprised if this is better, and if it's not, then I'd have rather had something from earlier in 1971, before Keith. April or something from summer, as those August shows on DiP 35 are smoking. But also admit to wishing that crap about 48 rhyming led to a release from 1968. This is also another missed opportunity for 8/4/76 to come out of the Vault. If there's a grayed-out silver lining, I hope Bill Walton again submits the liner notes. He'd be happier, as his team went undefeated that year, as opposed to the crushing defeats to come in the season following the 1973 show, which I think he brought up in those liners. Love Walton and his thirst for life. Wish I had that attitude about this release, just nonplussed about it.

46 was by far the Pick of the Year, and among the best in the series, IMO. That was a tentpole show I didn't know I needed to know. I like it better than the Baltimore (9/17?) DiP and Waterbury (9/24?) from 30 Trips. Wonderful companion to 9/21/72 DiP 36 (which didn't really need a companion with that excellent filler from Folsom Field). Off to pick up my replacements for HCS, minus d1 of 5/13, which they ran out of replacements for... But well under the 8 weeks they told me it could take, so that's good.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Boy howdy and hot damn but didn't Billy Strings do a show in Sacto last night. Three and a half hours of music, with no break.

(At what would've been the set break, he just walked to the front of the stage, said he felt like picking, and asked the fans for requests. He wound up doing ten songs, completely off the cuff, mostly bone-basic roots stuff like John Henry and Beaumont Rag. All great!)

Man, that cat can play some guitar. And his band really jams: they took numbers like Turmoil and Tinfoil and turned them into 20 minute improvisations that went from traditional blue grass breakdowns to the surface of Jupiter. And beyond. Some of it sounded, I shit you not, like EDM.

He also seems like a very humble guy, somebody who just loves the music so much he would literally play all night if they'd let him. Kind of reminds me of another blue grass-inspired guitarist we used to know.

One of the best shows I've see in years. (Disclaimer: I was high AF, but I'm pretty sure it would've actually still been really good regardless.) Sky's the limit for this guy. Check him out if you haven't already. Like all musicians worth talking about, he's way better live.

But not a raging doozy

Oh well. Maybe because I am in one of those "anything but GD" phases, I am hohum about this new one. I don't wanna whine....

41 years of consuming mass quantities of GD....have I hit my limit? Or are there still diamonds in the mine?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I've been there. Just one thin mint.
Last Five.
The Who - My Generation
TOOL - 10,000 Days
GD - Wake Of The Flood 50th
The Cult - Sonic Temple
Blue Oyster Cult - On Your Feet Or On Your Knees.
The Who ended. Went to you toob. This guy Keith is eating the best of everything at this place called Pike Place in Seattle.
I need to go to Seattle now. Yum.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by adedhed68

but I love 71.

I have spent a fair amount of time recently watching videos of people listening to the Grateful Dead for the first time. Pretty cool stuff as most of them are younger. It brings me back to the time when I first heard the band. I give a lot of credit to Jamel. Good job, young man.

This band was a gift to mankind.

Thumbs up for mentioning Donovan. One of the real greats - sadly overlooked. Amazing that he recorded Sunshine Superman as early as 1965.
Blue Oyster Cult too - I played "Spectres" the other night. I'd forgotten how good it is. I like all there albums up to "Fire of Unknown Origin",but if you were only going to get one, "On Your Feet..." would be that one.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Last week, I think it was, I listed my "Top - 3-non-Dark-Star-Daves".. Albuquerque was one of them - it is THAT good.. Hopefully 48 will be as hot.. It can fit on 2 cds, I think - so maybe we will get the Felt Forum Dark Star.. ? Bw to all, from not so sunny Copenhagen.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Danehead

From what I recall of hearing it when I did all the 71s in order in 2021, this show is above average for 71, but not RJ.
Another missed opportunity for top shelvers like:
11/7/71 DS
12/5/71 DS
12/15/71 DS
12/31/71
10/26/71
10/24/71
Or even perhaps 12/2 or 12/4…

EDIT: 10/26 should have been 10/29

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro- any of those first three 1971 shows from November and December that you,list with DS, would have made a great release. There might be a risk with 11/20 that it satisfies few people -obviously not the ones that want 80'-90's shows - and maybe not even ones who want more Keith era shows. Some seem happy enough though, so who knows?

They must be saving 1968, primal 1969 -ie from the first 5 months, and 1970 for the beginning of next year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

It’s a good show, just imho there’s better, so why wait?

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hey rockers!!!

Only time for a short response..............

11/20/71 is a decent, solid, good show. No classic, but not junk either. Personally I would be happy with its release, but I have a big biased toward 1971. One thing working in its favor is the fact that really high quality copies are not commonly circulating, fair-to-middling FMs are pretty much what's out there.

As many others have said, there are many other better 71s, but TPTB don't always release what we think is "best". I'm still waiting for a release of full soundboard 12/5/71---one of the great Holy Grails of a very fine year. 12/1 would also be an interesting release, especially if they could find the "missing soundboard" of the first set.

Have really been in serious lurker mode recently due to health issues with myself and my wife, but I still check in occasionally.............

Rock on!!

Doc
Music comes from a place we don't know......
P.S. Been digging the newly released 11/1/1973...............

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It's the best, the food is outta control. Sushi, chowder, salmon, all incredible. For out of towners, I take them to Matt's at the Market. When I'm down there by myself, there is a hole-in-the-wall named Oriental Mart. They won a James Beard for authenticity or something, been there like 30 years. Top it all off with a beer at Old Stove Brewing you got a day! Only bummer is the city started allowing cruise ships to dock at the pier (2014ish) where Pike is, and man do they crowd the place up. It's always been crowded, but now it's insane, at least until cruise ship season ends, which I think was Oct 1. Moved here from MD 26 years ago and loved it from day one, I also enjoy rain though, so.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Hey Doc wishing you and the Mrs a speedy recovery!
I’m glad you got another official 71!

SEEEEEEAAAATTTTLLLLLEEEE!
Love Seattle, our last real vaca, in 2013.
As well as many wonderful sights, a Beer Mecca!. TOO kept giving me grief as I constantly wanted to check out brewpubs. Her: “I didn’t come here to watch you drink!” Lol, ok luv, point taken lol.
Pike place was mobbed, we did have a fine Bfast at some place there overlooking the water?

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

OROBOROUS................

10/26/71 was released long ago, it was in the digital download series. Second set a bit "short" but has some great playing. The October Detroit show with the Dark Star would be a good release----Latvala himself rated that Star very very highly. New Years 71 is the typical loose, fun New Years show, with some very fine moments.

Interesting that several Fall/Winter 71 shows have been released, but except for the FE mini-box nothing from April has popped up. Perhaps a box set one of these years? I would recommend second Music Hall, Pittsburgh, Bucknell (ethereal and we know it's in the vault), Cortland, Providence (delightfully crunchy), and Bangor (one of my little guilty pleasures and such fun). A Manhattan Center mini-box would also be nice.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus............

Rock on,

Doc
Be careless in your dress if you must, but keep a tidy soul.........

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

It was actually the announcement in late 2016 (that Dave's Volume 22 would be 12/7/71 Felt Forum) that finally got me to become a Dave's Picks subscriber.

But I'm still waiting for 12/5/71. I can cite several shows that basically changed my life... 8/27/72, 2/9/73 and 5/26/73. But if we go back to '71, this second night of four at the Felt Forum is my pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow. Please please please Dr. Lemieux, let this one see the light of day. The FM has sustained me all these years, but...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Obeah

Yeah OBEAH, part of 12/5 was one of my first tapes. We actually learned to Play I washed My Hands in my first real band off that tape lol

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

If fall 71 is the pick, bring it on! It's kinda funny this date has been "leaked" as DP #48, as i've been spending some time with the fall 71 releases the last week or so. The 11/15/71 Road Trips release is a favorite, Absouloutly amazing stuff! A very Jerry show indeed!

I gave the 2015 bonus disc from 3/27& 3/21/72 a spin today on my walk. This is some absoultely primo stuff. If you haven't broken this one out in a while, do so! ASAP

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

....is that Phish's show tonight in Nashville is officially their 2000'th.
Shazam I say!!
Oh. And trump looks fucked. As is the circus that is the GOP.
Get that reality show crap out of the country. It's embarrassing.
Never liked reality shows from the start.
Shazam I say! Squared!!

Husker Du zen arcade
Black Sabbath first album
Motorhead overnight sensation
Motorhead bomber
Motorhead ace of spades

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

If it really is going to be 11/20/71, I recall it was broadcast live on FM radio. I was a senior in high school living in the LA area at the time and just getting into the Dead (Dark Star on Live Dead did it - with some help from the orange). My friends and I were at a house for a typical party (beer, weed and in search of the allusive females). The concert was on the radio and we were not really listening to it but we all kind of enjoyed it.

Turns out a friend of mine had his reel to reel going and caught the Truckin-TOO-Ramble on Rose part. We listened to this a lot and thought it was fantastic. I guess most (if not all) the concerts on that tour were broadcast live so I expect some other releases down the road (Dave's 79?).

This should be a fun companion piece to Dave's 46...both in LA a little less than a year apart. Same lineup. Someone else here mentioned they thought 46 was the highlight of the year and I would not challenge that.

Thanks Dave and all the Powers that be for the incredible releases. What other musical institution does this kind of thing? History at our fingertips.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by hb672

HB672 - you're not wrong there. An avalanche of Dead FM recordings - quite a few from 1971, have been released in Europe over the last 5 years or so. There was a bit of chit chat on here a few years ago about one of these - a box set of
7 Dead shows from 1971 referred to as the Yellow Box. To me, they are in the same bag as bootlegs - they are alright if you have everything officially released and want more on cd or vinyl, but they aren't up to the standard, sound wise, of Dave's Picks or anything released on here. I would replace any of one the shows in the Yellow Box if it was to be released as a Dave's Picks.

It's not just the Dead that have shows released in this grey area, of course. A heck of a lot of live Pink Floyd from 1970-1972 has also been released recently. Again FM recorded shows mainly. The same seems to apply - not the greatest sound quality, but interesting enough. Occasionally there are reviews on Amazon, where someone complains about the sound quality - which does suggest they think they are buying something the bands in question have approved. Which is clearly not the case.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

There is a great bootleg of 10/12/68 out there.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Yes, that's a cracker. It would be great if something like that could come out as a Dave's Picks. Never mind 3 cds of really well played shorter songs, with a bonus disc and merchandise. Just a single disc of pure gold.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Morning, rockers!!!

The yellow box of 1971 FM broadcasts is a bootleg and should be avoided. Especially because very high quality copies of those shows freely circulate, and there's people willing to share. Hint hint..............

Two other 1971 Dead shows were widely bootlegged---the 12/5 Felt Forum show and the 7/2 Fillmore West show. Yes, I had those way back in the day..............

As far as the recent live Floyd releases, those are well circulated and pretty much all audience recorded shows, except for one very early 1972 partial show, which is a sub-par soundboard. Decent enough sound, and some of the earliest live Dark Side material out there. As a huge Floyd fan, these are interesting historical documents, but almost all have been around for quite some time. Not sure why the Floyd released all these, but I think it has to do with some quirky European copyright issues.

Off to the morgue, hafta take care of a double homicide.............

Music, the greatest good that mortals know and all of heaven we have hear below........

Rock on!

Doc
Music is the great equalizer.............

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

The show I more than anyother would like to see released (my birthday..). Hey "Bluecrow" - what is JOTW.. ? BW..

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Danehead

Jam Of The Week - on the home page under Features.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Beavis voice: "YES! YES!"

good taste, Danehead.

Gotta hear JOTW....

And applause for BTK as always and for Daverock for the quote of the day and for Bluecrow for directing me to JOTW

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Doesnt include what I _want_ it to include, but no complaints.

And NO TALKERS!!! :)))

Just be ready for an early withdrawal

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Just heard the 45 minutes or so of 1/21/71 - great, great sound, fun set-list - never heard Pig on harmonica on Truckin before.. And that all-time stage-remark by him.. Hope they have the full show - thanks Bluecrow..

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by Danehead

Danehead - from what I see, 2 of the sbd reels from this show have been circulating for awhile but not the one on JOTW. Notes regarding the earlier circulating reels state that Latvala couldn't find others from this show in the vault so maybe the JOTW is returned reel(s), possibly one of several for the show (fingers crossed). You can stream those early circulating bits on either relisten or the archive, plus there's an audience tape of whole show that to my ears sounds okay for the era (okay, at times a bit too "audiency.") Of note, show had last Cosmic Charlie until 1976. A lot of Pig harp playing on Trucking! And yeah PF, that's very much a harsh cut at the end. Sigh.

Decided to spin 11/17/71 ABQ in anticipation of the new DaP coming our way.

Enjoy the Fall weekend folks. It's sweet weather here in the Desert Southwest.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hey rockers!!!

Doers anybody know how to "capture" that 1/21/71 from JOTW? And what about the "other two reels" that somebody mentioned????

Sorry, I've been outta touch...............

Rock on,

Doc
The past is the beginning of the beginning and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn......

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The release that really turned me on to '71! Shines something raw and brilliant. Also my favorite artwork for the DaP releases. Especially that hologram version.

Lightnin' Hopkins, Live at the Rising Sun
Bob Dylan, Fallen Angels
Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways
Bob Dylan, Love and Theft
Bob Dylan, Nashville Skyline

(getting ready to see our Bard next Saturday)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

....they have plateaus and clouds and green chilis for dayssss.
And a top five state flag to boot.
The Santa Fe shows will eventually be officially released. Mark my words.
Dave! Do it! It would be welcomed with open arms! Trust me.
Vguy72 drops the gavel. End of session.
I'll even put up a petition to be signed if that's what needs for it to happen.
Sign here please. Thank you. Here's your sticker.
Who's with me?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I haven't met a NM show I didn't like.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

"Oracle Rising: the Re-issue of the "San Francisco Oracle"
"San Francisco Oracle" Publisher Allen Cohen was a psychedelic pioneer during the wild days of the 1960's Haight/Ashbury. In this DTV interview we are re-releasing this week, he describes the rainbow-colored newspaper of art, poems and insightful articles as "the Rosetta Stone of the forgotten civilization called the Hippies."

Find it at dreamswedreamed dot com.

A personal note: this is the last video we released from episode 17 of Dead Head TV. When Brent Mydland passed suddenly in July 1990, the DTV crew put aside several upcoming video projects to produce during several months a half-hour tribute to Brent, which would become episode 18, the last episode of Dead Head TV. Stay tuned, we will release the Brent Tribute very soon.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

We're currently in Lake Tahoe, California, and we're going to see Billy Strings tomorrow at the brand new Tahoe Blue Event Center, located barely past Stateline. I saw him last year at Frost, right before Hardly Strictly weekend. Great show, electric bluegrass with a touch of psychedelia. We have the ultimate nosebleed seats, all we could get, but Billy has a fine light show and projections so I think we'll be alright. I'm looking forward to checking out this brand new venue!

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Just finished my first listen to this release. Love the tiger artwork. Really strong release, Jerry sounds great. The bonus stuff from The Stone is an extra treat, a little looser with great jamming. Jerry's guitar tone is exquisite. KInd of surprising to see Jerry with two keybordists, Melvin on B3 and Jimmy Warren on Keys. Adds another dimension, I think. Time for me to listen to this again.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Got Third Man's Vault 57 in yesterday. (all the Syd Barrett solo albums)

Very nice job on the packaging.

(also the shipping box was GREAT. Be very hard to damage in a box like that)

Come on. Why have there been no Greek releases? 10/20/68 not included.

9 11 81 BTK and Marye RAVE about this show
9 12 81 LOADED
9 13 81 yup
5 21 82 tasty
5 22 82 is playing as I write this
5 23 82 yowzah

And many more

Either not in vault (boo)
Saving for a box set (saving up for that in my wookie bank)
Or the honey badgers dont care.

I will go with the second option to win and the first to place.

The third option is unthinkable.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

popularmechanics

dot

com

/technology/a15615/how-eddie-van-halen-hacks-a-guitar/

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html