• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by nappyrags

I would like to thank those who reached out to me privately after my last post of why I was so scarce in these parts...thanks to you all who reached out...mucho appreciation for that...and Oro thank you for the kind words re Mr Jinks and his passing...I am sure he is causing trouble wherever he and Violet are...saw a cool cartoon recently...a dog and cat are sitting in front of God's throne awaiting judgement...God asks the dog "Were you a good Dog?" the dog answers "Yes...I loved my master, enjoyed our walks and brought him his slippers every morning"...God tells him 'Yes...you were a very good dog...then he asks the cat "Were you a good cat?" and the cat answers "You're sitting in my chair"...Hey Hendrix freak who ya doing???

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 3 months

I've enjoyed Dave's 47 quite a bit. Lots of little extra musical lines and jam pieces along the way. A really good show that I had not heard before.

The 48 announcement is the first disappointing one for me with Dave's Picks for a while. I'm not excited about Fall 71. There are so many official releases from that tour at this point. I'd much rather see something different - how about 91 instead of 71? Don't get me wrong I like the 70s and the great sounding recordings. Just feel like this particular tour has been done. I like the Chicago and Albuquerque releases but I couldn't get into the Felt forum shows. In my opinion a lot of the newer songs in late 71 are just much better developed in 72 and beyond. Anyhow, not what personally was looking for but hey.... so be it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Man I love Deadbase. I spend several hours a week in it. I had planned to right about them today, after writing about the Space set openers. That comes from Deadbase. They were short lived but weird. Guys at Deadbase have put so much research into their efforts. Thanks Guys!!! Next step is to get data into a searchable database. That would be something. With all of that research, that is probably only 25% of the overall knowledge as much has to be discovered in their Raiders of the Lost Ark warehouse.

Great story!

G

Well, that explains why I don't remember being at the Capital Centre in 1988. I was in Washington State. Caught the Tacoma Dome show, Santana opened, then spent the next 3 weeks tooling around in the mountains and on the coast. A great time to be in rainy state, it barely rained at all...

… have a Grateful Dead Backstage Pass 10-19-85 Tacoma Dome Kelley Mouse artwork 1985. Looks like a A card from a deck, Stanley made it look like a King Of Roses Instead of putting a King of Hearts! I could never figure out how to post
photos here.
10/20/85 they didn’t allow a tapers section. It’s a diamond in the rough.I believe

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

GD was to play there in 85. I was attending college in Tacoma at the time.

They cancelled.

I
Was
Not
Pleased

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

For Gary, couple more bits... was at a local nursery, the landscaping kind, saw a guy walk by with Deadbase X under his arm, various book markers/notes sticking out. Seemed a little odd, until a few minutes later I walked over to speak with him, since he appeared to be hanging out. As I did, overheard him and an employee mention Phish, no big surprise either. We spoke pretty widely for twenty minutes or so, wanted to sound out his interests in music now, as I had heard that once Deadbase 50 was out, he his two partners said we are done. He plays guitar for fun, had a t-shirt on with various Fenders. I participate in a local "network" that shares announcements of live music events of all kinds, esp the small off the radar house concerts etc and sought to see where he went for that, as he still lives where he has for decades, less than an hour south of here, so close enough. Could reach out to him through close mutual friend and ask about any efforts on searchable data bases, though I think between all thats on the web now, its out there albeit in pieces.

We're at 80% in Plano.

My son and my buddy went to San Antonio,,, gonna be 100%.

My brother in Midland, TX, will be at 100%.

I would have been in San Anton, but sick dog.

Come April next year, we'll see 100% in Plano.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Surely this is the End of the World. Tzitzimimeh swallowed the Sun (most of it, anyway) and soon we are plunged into Eternal Dark. I pray to Saint Jerome of Garcia to save us.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Some kind folks outside had a pinhole telescope thingie

it was nice to behold the eclipse that way

Also watched it on NASA website

Awesome

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I have rethought Davz 38
9/8/73

Really good stuff y'all

Edit
A song only a Deadhead could love?

Let me sing your blues away

Fun little tune

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

"He could kick ass and take names with the Hammond B3 Organ!" - David Gans.
"He had everything to live for, why did he have to go now? - Jerilyn Brandelius
"He's Gone: A Tribute to Brent Mydland" now streaming on
dreamswedreamed dot com.
I'm very proud to release this last episode of DTV, a half hour tribute to Brent. This was the 18th episode, and took about two months to produce, write and edit. It includes interviews with many deadheads (it was Dead Head TV, after all). We also interviewed Dave Margen who played with Brent in Go Ahead, as well as authors Blair Jackson, David Gans, and Jerilyn Brandelius. We were fortunate to sit down with lyricist John Barlow, who shared his experience co-writing Brent's last songs.

Wow!!!

I wanted to thank, Dave on the last release. When I opened it and pulled out the insert, it was a picture of Brent. Thought that was Nice. There is a longer story to this, but I have hit uptown.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....love me some Brent. We go way back, you know.
The girl at the seven minute two mark though. : . : .older Dead isn't as bright? Love it.
Edit.
Forgot about that Little Light video. '80's cheese.
Love it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Happy Sunday, rockers!!!

In preparation for the new release, I have been listening closely to the November 1971 shows. The high quality of both Harding shows goes without saying, and the 7th is indeed classic. Even the chaotic Atlanta show has its moments, and continued thanks to John McCook, for sharing memories of that evening. The very solid and perpetually underappreciated San Antonio and TCU shows lead us nicely to the exceptionally strong, semi-classic, personally cherished Austin and Albuquerque shows. Pauley continues in that vein, and I'm expecting a substantial sonic upgrade for all of us. Let's all listen with an open mind and ear...............

Many of the October and November 1971 shows are actually very strong and foretold the future without Pigpen. Always worth a listen..................

Man approaches the unattainable truth through a succession of errors.........

Rock on!

Doc
Thought must be divided against itself before it can come to any knowledge of itself............

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

On the archive found a group called Guilty Pleasures.

Only 3 shows out there, but nicely recorded and nice song picks

Seems like Dave Nelson and David Gans are involved.

Worth the shot.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

One thing that occurred to me, listening to the two opening shows in the "River" box - 12/9 and 12/10/71 was that they seemed much more rocking in them, than in shows from Fall 1972 and all 1973. Interesting how this lineup evolved in the three years they were operating. In Fall 1971 they sound, to me, like a rock n' roll band, and this forms the bedrock for all they played.By Fall 1974 they sounded more like a jazz band - who sometimes played rock and roll - but did so in the way a jazz band would do it, rather than a rock band.

user picture

Member for

2 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I also share your love of 1971 and am looking forward to the next release too I hold out hope will they finally release Stanford 1973 After many years of archival releases I am surprised Does anyone know why not So many
firsts and Wavy Gravy who is pure love

Sorry about no punctuation I try to post dozens of times it almost never works Thats why this forum is so dead possibly This forum gets an A for effort but a D for execution I would have given up long ago but you all got me thru the pandemic and I kinda like it here but Im not sure how much longer i can do this

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Noah's Great Rainbow>>>>>check your PMs.

Wisdom alone is the science of other sciences............

Rock on!!

Doc
The eyes of the soul of the multitudes are unable to endure the vision of the divine.....

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Noah's Great Rainbow

Memories of watching 3s company way back

Inane, but I was a kid, so i watched.

Mortality, take a seat. I ain't ready for you yet.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....the running joke was characters mishearing conversations. It worked.
Oh. And Mr. Roper breaking the 4th wall. RIP Suzanne.
I miss the '80's.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

In no particular order : Greatest Story Ever Told, Estimated Prophet. , The Music Never Stopped, Cassady,, Born Crosseyed, The Other One, Truckiin,

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Experience Vinyl is offering Dick's Picks 2 in vinyl. 100 bucks

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Dave's 48 already on sale on Eday!

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Thanks for the loss of a hundred bucks, Dennis. Guess it evens out since I got 6/10/73 at a good price. Wonder why Real Gone isn't releasing this through their site, checked my emails and nothing from them about this. They had decent prices on the two Vaults I'm lacking, but not needing.

Still nonplussed about 48, but in the next week or so, we should be hearing about number 49, and then a few more weeks until we hear about numero 50!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Alvarhanso - It goes on sale at RealGone 10/19 at 10 am PST. There is a "soldout" placeholder listing with info on upcoming sales time. $49.99 list right now in placeholder.

Saw the Real Gone email an hour ago and emailed Experience to try and cancel on the grounds that a 50 buck markup was ridiculous. We'll see if they do the right thing. Just wanted some peace of mind after having to scramble on DiP 1 a few months ago. I can understand secondary market markup, but not when it hasn't even had a chance to go on sale. We'll also see if this is a moot point come Thursday, if I can get a Real Gone purchase completed at the much more reasonable price. (Love the Jerry Garcia vinyl pricing!)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Wonder if ole Dave will do seaside since the cat was let out of the bag early?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

You MISS the '80s???

Cuz you (and me) were 40 years younger then?

You'll recall the loosely related Dylan line, I'm sure.

I miss Vguy -- hey man, come out to the Rocks next summer for TTB and we'll do more than burn one!

HF

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Chasing a woman in Pasadena. She's a rock movin' woman. Anyhoo...

I scrolled around and saw that Senor Nappyrags asked after me. So kind. LOVED that joke: "the cat answers "You're sitting in my chair." I got another: Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Pretty dang good here Nappy. Beat a few serious health issues, now it's just down to, er, mental health. So I hit the Green River for a few days of paddling and popping shrooms. Ah, good for the soul!

Now prepping for a few days of backpacking in remote NW Colo, working on a new book, a new CD, physical fitness, romance, polishing agates I found on the Oregon coast. Life is good right now and I look for ways to share my fortune with those who have less.

I may not always be kind, but I'm tryin',, yours truly, HF

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I got that notice also. Bastards!

I wondered about cancelling also, but worried I wouldn't get one on Thursday.

Oh agony!

But I did order shelving today for the "music" room. Great sale on Elfa at the container store, got 3,000 worth of shelves for 2,000,,,,,, a 35% sale! Largest sale in their history.

So next week sometime the music comes out of boxes!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Yet, at the time, I couldn’t see it.
Kept getting a message that my reCRAPTCHA answer was incorrect.

Sounds like others were having similar problems.

Twice the price for a DaP2 vinyl? Highway robbery.

PF- I was there at Folsom Field on Friday night for that debacle (long time season ticket holder).

Let's just say I had a hell of a lot more fun there this summer at the 3 Dead and Co shows.

Well, at least until Dave Matthews showed up on stage. Yeah, I said it.

Speaking of Stanford, to echo another recent poster, that Maples 73 show sure would sound great as a DaP.

Looking forward to checking out this next release, but wonder how long it will stay up in the rotation...

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Jack Baller

So you got to be there.

My sympathies.

I can't imagine. Well, yes I can.

Must have been a very somber exit.

I wouldn't mind one of those, I have to say. One of the all time great releases in my book, and contrary to how these releases are normally considered, weirdly enhanced through not being the whole show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, I'm with you on this one - despite DP2 being 1/3 of the full show, what was initially offered is indeed the true meat of this show. Back then when it was originally released, we didn't know any better anyway since it was only the 2nd release of the series and that DP1 was also hacked up to fit onto 2 discs. In retrospect I can see some potential criticism but at the end of the day the fact that they put that Dark Star and NFA medley in our hands was enough to fill my cup.

Cup remains full on this still today- and I was inspired to go take a listen and am in the midst of that DS right now and it's as inspiring as ever.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html