• 1,208 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...hmm, how's about wave that flag day june 14th, great day for smokin' OUT a new box...read the signs, connect the lines, pay your fines, read the rhyme

• DeadVikes

Smoking 🚬

How about a big announcement tomorrow?

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, more cleaned up ‘85 please.

• Oroborous

85 Rocks!
    “Please sir, may I have another”?

• DeadVikes

Yes, good to see at least this one sell out. Such a great release. Just revisited this last week. Shows the depth of the vault if you like most eras, which I do.

Can't believe the others are still available. Might have to revisit #46 tomorrow.

• uncle_tripel

...sold OUT

• Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I know this is out of the blue, but Dicks Picks #31 is fantastic!

straight up, fantastic!

4 disc, everyone of them is fire!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

yep, that's about as good as it get's

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Excellent. This is a great release, and hopefully everyone received it without much delay.
Oro, the Big Blue is in Vegas tonight, and out your way Saturday, and they are on a roll. McKinnon vs Matthews.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

What a killer of a show! Time for that BIG 1969 BOX SET.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Glad you finally got it!
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

W I n g s

As in chicken, Paul McCartney, Red, etc

Sure enough, that word is not allowed. Needs spaces between the letters.
Talk about an incompetent AI bot security guard.

user picture

Member for

8 months

... my FUNNY WORDS include:
e s t i m a t e d
w i n t e r l a n d
s e x t e t
these are just some off of the top of my head that I've noticed

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

is just weak sauce.

Tried to post and got IT again.

Edit: I Saw IT Again

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

W i nter land

Yep, got hey now’d on W i n t e r l a n d

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

FFS!!! Just wasted ANOTHER half hour of my rapidly diminishing life on the subject, but ya know….since this lane ass corporation can’t get their shit together.
Have no problem taking our money though!
Worst part is: your all happy etc, then this BS puts ya in a mood
Hey DN, yer becoming a major buzzkill!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Got it today.. the first show is strong, but this should have been a 3-cd set and saved the extra disc for a summer 72/73 show.. Also - very dry recordings - a little crowd would have helped.. "She belongs" is wounderful, but we already have that on "Garcia plays Dylan".. BW to all

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The symbolism of the slice in hand for Magoo's pizza has been discussed but what of the rest? The kite, cat, bluebird?
Cheers

Edit: 2nd show as solid as the 1st. Again, no extended big jams but great transitions, setlists, and performances.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Rather than use the “Post Reply” button, I launch the black “Reply” button on the previous post, and so far, it works.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Danehead

49 sound is strong, but I wonder what a matrix of this could have been. Except, it is an outdoor show so not going to get the crowd noise like an east coast arena show. Hoping maybe more matrix recording are in the future like Dave's 8. Hope they find some MoTB shows to matrix with the board. Have a feeling they would be incredible.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....rescheduled tour from 2022 when they canceled two days prior to the show due to Matt Cameron getting covid.
Let's try this again shall we?
They have a new record dropping in April. Dark Matter.
Speaking of new records, Mick Mars solo record, The Other Side Of Mars, was released today. By far the most talented member of the Crue. Will be checking it out later on tonight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hope this works. I tried a while back and got majorly Hey Nowwed. Here’s the cover art for Dave’s 49 that Copperdomebodhi found. Scroll down to 49:
dropbox dot com /sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl=0

If y’all PM me with your email, I’ll send future covers to you directly.

Onward

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Here's my thoughts about the artwork 1st Show, which are pure conjecture on my part.
If I'm not mistaken, kitesurfing is (or was) popular at Stanford?
I'm thinking the cat represents that pretty cool China>Rider on 4/28?
The bluebird possibly represents the Bird Song on 4/28?
Personally, I can't figure out which of the shows I like the best. They are both extremely good for that time period.
Much like the 11/1 and 11/2 '85 Richmond shows.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

TNJohn think you have it right. I think Dave writes in the booklet, one of the last china riders first set. Looked at deadbase. There were only six china ryders after this one first set. Last being 1989 same venue. Interesting only one china ryder encore if my eyes dont deceive me, April 1988.

Kite me thinks has to do with the eyes outa scarlet as kinda rare. In a tree eatin pizza daydreamling.

Bluebird = Birdsong.

Reading today that Nicky Hopkins would have been 80 years old today, and it itemized some of the amazing records he played on (Kinks, Stones, Who, etc). Quite a remarkable player, and like many sought after session players (Jim Keltner comes to mind), they pop up on so many albums. The GOGD were never a band to utilize session players, had all the goods needed in-house.
On the darker side of session players, there is a new book forthcoming on Jim Gordon (“ Drums & Demons: The Tragic Journey of Jim Gordon”).
I agree with VGuy - come back Mr Ones.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

Go AVS! Lol
I dunno, Leaf’s been tough, AVS gave away another game to D.

Though D played tough and deserved it.
Sabs pulled last couple out their asses, but hey a w I n is a w I n!
Hopefully it will be a good game to watch regardless of outcome.
Maybe a little friendly scoring competition between Mathew’s and MacKinnon!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Got my copy last week. Sound is great but audience very low in the mix.
Remember an audience recording from Knickerbocker 1993 where the
audience singing is lounder than the PA (Cassidy, Casey Jones).
Like that recording sound.
Last 5:
Neil Young - Dume (Vinyl)
GD - Herouville 06/21/71 (vinyl)
GD - Fillmore 02/13/70 (DARK STAR!!!)
Mule - Beacon 12/31/23 (4-CD)
Neil Young - Year Of The Horse (got in finally on vinyl)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The Leafs are like ‘72 Dead right now, can’t be beat. Sorry Oro, a juggernaut has come for the AVs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

TOO is rootin for the Leafs Too! : (

Prolly Vguy and Conekid, and Kraken boy out younder in See Aaaat le too!
That’s awright, harder they come mofos lol ; )
GO AVS!

Is that word allowed by the hey now gestapo?

I still hold a grudge against the Av’s from the 90’s.
But the W i n g s are chasing the Leafs.
Ok, go Av’s.

W i n g s currently up 4-0 against the Blues.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The rebuild is coming along nicely.

Let’s Go Red W i n g s!

Keep the momentum going to April.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Go W I N G S lol
Yep, those were the good ole bad old days when they were in the same conference and the rivalry was fierce!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Had Grateful Dead night at the AVs game this week.
It must of helped as they beat the mighty Canucks…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

What happens at a Grateful Dead Night? Does the team wear special warmup jerseys, and the PA blasts some great Dead tunes, etc? A very cool marketing idea!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

I tried to answer your question but the entire response was blocked.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hey Now doth sucketh!
Curious - Did you try launching the black “Reply” button, as opposed to “Post Reply”?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

I’ve been using both ways the past few weeks and have been Hey Now’d both ways.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

In D-town there was a GD cover band in the concourse before the game, and possibly during intermission too.
There were GD team jerseys from dead dot net for f r e e

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I would say that the IT department is incompetent, but nobody can be this incompetent.
It has to be intentional.

Watched it on tv.
Jerseys were a Stealie wearing a red Detroit hockey helmet, and a dancing bear inside the w i n g e d wheel.
The jerseys say dead dot net on them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....whoa. What a difference!
Johnathan Marchessault just scored his 30th goal. Ties his personal record.
Let's go for 40 mister!

Turns out that’s the day The Who recorded Live At Leeds.
Spinning the vinyl version now.

Enjoy the upgrade Vguy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Pulled this one down from the shelf yesteday.. The album was not as good as it should have been back in the day (mostly 1 set songs), but the bonus disc has me hoping for a box with the "leftovers" (3 songs from 10/13/80 has got my hopes up..) Fine re-mastering by Joe Gastwirt.. BW to al

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html