• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

It's been probably 15 years since I listened to this. I love the comments on setlists dot nt

In my opinion this is the show that the Grateful Dead became a real band. It all started clicking.
-Kdead 03/11/2021

This is the band as a hot teenage girl that you know will become a supermodel in a couple years.
-Chucky Bberry (06/01/2016)

They are playing RFK 7/13/89 tonight on SiriusXM. I know the 80's are not everyone's cup of tea, but what an under-rated release. This is about the time they really tightened up and got it together post coma. They were a tour de force that year and what a great late era show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Count me in too - that would make a great release. I can remember having a really hissy tape of this back in the day.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

JIm, he was playing a telecaster, a blue one. Not sure how he was hooked up, his back story is on his website, grew up Nashville, busked on the street as a young teen, came into the country band scene and was turned onto GD by a high school teacher. He sure can play, though we debated on his vocals post show. Grahame had his standard Les Paul, they played same guitars for the entire 3/15 concert, no swap outs. The Capitol was quite the scene for someone who has not been to a large venue event in years... and its not that large. The wait line to get in part of the show, people cruising by looking for extra tickets, then a frisk and metal detectors of course at the doors.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Daniel has a band called daniel donato's cosmic country. They open for greensky bluegrass often and are pretty good. However with phil and friends he really got it done a real jammer and not a solo pop artist type he knows how the pieces fit clearly. The 15th at the cap was a great show and Phil just continues to go to the office and churn it out baby, RESPECT!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Ha, I was wondering if any DH watched the run?
Totally worth 89 denaros for five shows, just wish it was on Nugs since not having an app makes Fans a hassle for us.

First show was a little unnerving as Phil looked outta sorts and more importantly his playing was way off. Sure there were some good moments, but I haven’t heard that many clunkers since primal dead lol.
I think the “fall” wasn’t a big thing, just a klutzy moment as happens with age. I think he was tired, and the Q, and he especially were just rusty, as the next night was much better. Noticed similar last time I saw the Q play: rusty at first, then like riding a bike it gelled, but perhaps not like the early daze?
But music truly does heal because I swear he seemed to get stronger every night. Every night both his playing and presence seemed to get stronger and he seemed ten years younger by the end!
First night 3/4 you had to wonder if this could be it, by the last 3/16 you were thinking “hey, 85 maybe?”
Great cast throughout, really enjoyed 3/13 as I’d not seen that lineup, but of course the big story was Daniel Donato! We got the “Arlo” vibe too, and man that kid can play!! Funny you guys liked his tone as that’s the one thing I told TOO: “man I’d love to hear this kid on some real gear” guess I’ll always compare to that fat Garcia sound that NOBODY can fully get! Also, kinda on the fence about the vocals, but thoughts were “he’s still young, that’ll develop” Not bad, just??, he can’t perhaps get the same level of emotional expression in his singing as he can with his guitar…if that makes sense? But I’m sure that’ll improve with age!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

And apologize, no that’s BS after what, six MONTHS now you still can’t fix this nonsense! WTF!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Nit picking aside, what a wonderful surprise and a well needed breath of fresh air! Can’t wait to w a T c h him grow!
About the guitar. IS that really a fender? I know his other green axe is a 62 reissue, but that headstock, pickup layout, and not seeing any Fender markings made me wonder if it’s some kind of custom?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Had more to say but I’d rather just go out in the garage and smash my head in with a hammer, it’d be more fun!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not an expert like some, but never got to see that unusual logo on the head?
Tried briefly to find it: a t F e n d e r etc but could not.
So between that, the pickup layout and not seeing a F marking anywhere wonder if it’s a custom?

Overall, a nice enjoyable ride. Sure old Philski’s gettin on, but he’s experienced enough to lay back and let the great musicians he surrounds himself with be the focus. And always, a very group effort vibe, which is nice.
Guaranteed some DH will shit on it, but since I try to take things in the moment etc and not start comparing, I experienced many great musical and emotional moments and hey, nothing lasts so…

Hey, glad to see the one armed wonder back with us! ; )
Hope your feeling better and healing up!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Go, Phil!!

You're right, Jim, 7/13/89 RFK is a great show frpm a cool little box!

Played 3/18-19/90 on my daily dog walking/exercise routine the past two days and found it's a nice soundtrack!

Additional tip of the hat to 3/19/90 set II

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Good eye Oro, I should have written telecaster type, what you said, its not Fender issue. Like Mike Stern's not telecaster. Not sure who made it, almost looks like a Sadowski headstock but its not. Its a Nashville 3 p.up config, humbucker at the neck. The November 22 RollingStone has an article on him with a good photo of that axe.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

It’s been driving me nuts lol
Body sure looks like a Fender, but yeah, can’t place that crazy Headstock?
Well, I figured at least you’d find it interesting, and now we have another mystery lol

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

47 years ago , I was up in S.F. for a knockout evening with the Grateful Dead. 3/18,19 & 20/77 would make a great box set, but first lets get that BIG 1969 or 1970 box set out.

....again? So much music. So little time.
Last Five
The Cult - Love (vinyl). One of the
records where side 2 kicks side 1's ass.
Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad (vinyl)
Phish - Philly 12.3.97 (CD)
BOC - Spectres (vinyl)
Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim (vinyl).
Moving on....discovered Karl Strauss's Red Trolley Ale out of San Diego.
Those bottles are clean and will never be dusty in this house.
"Boldly brewed with a half-ton of caramelized malts for notes of toffee and dark fruit."
Yup!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I'm leaning on a custom too. It was the headstock that really made me think this might be a telecaster 'like' guitar. Some bright, clean, psychedelic curly maple, not something you would pick up off the shelf at Sam Ash or the local guitar shop. As to his voice, gotta admit, he fit right in with the country tunes.

Anyway, he was a big surprise in a good way.

Agree on the HeyNow BS. What gets me is this is really counter productive. I copied word for word they heyynoww language the put up when they censor and deny your post and included just that as a post and even that got heycowed.

It's not remotely looking for lin k s it's looking for language patterns and denying based on that. I noticed too many periods will trigger it. It's weird censorship and it is keeping legitimate, productive language from the conversation. You know, the kind of stuff that actually sells CD's but it lets through the hostile f u hey cow I'm pissed off now stuff through, that clearly does nothing to promote goodwill and sell CDs.

My thoughts.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Indeed Jonathan918 -- 3/19/90 II is a blissful tape. I say 'tape' bc that was a tape I played over and over back in the day. I think Hartford was the very first show from 1990 that I ever had on tape - it was that or Copps 3 nights later

a March '77 box set seems like such a no-brainer. There are so many amazing jams over those three nights. Sometimes I wonder if maybe a reel is lost from one night... if that's why it hasn't been boxed up and released. But if that were the case, I sorta think that one of the existing nights would already be a Dave's Pick by now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

....how was Umphrey's?
They just announced a tour with Blues Traveler and Donato.
SLC. 6.13.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

A box set from that run would be fantastic!

Hopefully done like the other two!!

Also, some more cool shirts to celebrate album art a little bit More too

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Just wanted to make sure all you vinyl freaks out there heard about Dume from Uncle Neil. It's a two record set that is basically Zuma plus outtakes, but this is, IMO, one of the rare cases where the outtakes really add to the whole experience.

First of all, Zuma is possibly the Greatest Neil Young Album Ever. But it always felt kind of short. About 35 minutes total, which is pretty average for that era, but ... I wanted more! Adding versions of Ride My Llama, Too Far Gone, Pocohantas and a couple other songs from the same seasons really fills it out in a satisfying way. And it's pressed on very good quality vinyl.

Just thought you might like to know. That is all.

Oh, except: I hear you, Daverock! Go Rimbaud, and do the Watusi!

Patti changed my life. Hey Now!

heynowhell.

Listened yesterday to the 15th anniversary of Eric Clapton playing with the Allman Brothers Band at the NYC Beacon. Very interesting show, plan on ordering the cd's.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

test

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Umphreys was good, although I was a little disappointed. Last I saw them several years ago, the two guitarist would trade doing leads which made it interesting, like the Radiators. This time one did all the leads and the other just rhythm. Also their music was a little too cerebral for me, not a lot of groove. The crowd really liked them, however. I probably wasn't on the right drugs!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Saw two shows for Phil 84th ....the 4th and 15th both great Birthday show had more energy with the younger players

DMCVT Check your PM

Gary Farseer.....the two Beacon shows are very cool. I missed them live and I am going to order them too

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

I chortled my beer out my nostrils when I read the last line of Nitecat's post. The quote of the day.

and to think it only took four tries and six revisions to get this post through.

I went ahead and ordered 3 of that ABB run; wish I could order the 2009 whole year but kinda out of my budget reach right now. I ordered the two Clapton shows and March 17th with Sheryl Crow; and Tommy Talton and Scott Boyer of Cowboy. First saw Cowboy with Pure Prairie League back in 1977.

Makes me reminisce about the possabilities of Hour Glass, the Allman Joys, and there connection with Clapton and Bonnie Bramlet, etc. Probably be a while b4 I can actually listen to them, lots going on. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

....par for the course re me.
I'm On The Lamb But I Ain't No Sheep which is on their debut was rearranged for Tyranny And Mutation record and renamed as The Red & Black.
Pretty neat. I enjoy both.
Ran into a client today who was sporting a Blue Oyster Cult tee.
We had a very metal conversation. He even recognized the Soft White Underbelly reference I tossed out.
Don't Google it. Gotta dive deep to discover that that was their original name.
Don't fear the reaper. He may just be around the corner. He just needs more cowbell and he'll be good to go.
New BOC release is on the horizon btw.
They say it's their last.
All good things come to an end. Unless they pull a KISS/Eagles thing.
The Eagles are booked for The Sphere btw. Lol.
I see that Secret Treaties 180g vinyl that on the horizon. Yummy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

There's a great album by The Stalk-Forrest Group called "St Cecilia - The California Album, " which I understand was the BOC in an earlier phase. It's got that "I'm On The Lamb.." track. Good stuff.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Oh Daisy....

I'd rather be on the lam than on the lamb

At least the former is respectable to a degree

Ever hear about that one dude in Enumclaw, Washington?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It makes me think of "The Sheep Shagger's Song", a ditty (and a pastime) that is apparently popular in some regions of the United Kingdom where men are men and sheep are nervous.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

For the more literary and less conservatively minded Deadhead, Niall Griffith's novel "Sheepshagger" is an excellent read. They are all startling, but that ones a real lulu.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

He's bloody Welsh after all.

BOC - saw in 1977 and 1981. Both killer. The '81 had much better lasers and sound. Remember as we were dead center upper deck. Local arena designed after MSG, which can be discussed later. Look over a couple of sections to the left and 3 friends were tripping balls. Just the look of pure joy on their faces; truly lit up!

Hey Foot, wondering if ur john. Every so ofter i see a john stfus on the early morning business press. He was on this morning, just checking if that was You! Would be cool if it was, but doesnt matter. All Hail.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

DMCVT Check your PM tried to send a second and got "hey now" I too was at Baltimore March 26 1973

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Today's News:
From April 1st, 2024, it will be legal in Germany to possess up to 25 grams of cannabis in public and up to 50 grams of cannabis in private homes.
Also three cannabis plants at home are allowed.
'Here Comes Sunshine'
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Gary

I ordered the two Clapton shows too and I also would love to get the whole run of shows but my Wife may kill me. I just got a wall of new Shelves and filled it with my Dead collection and her eyes popped out when she saw it lol I remember seeing Pure Prairie League around 1977 Can't remember if Cowboy was with them

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Responded accordingly.

G

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

lookout! check incoming.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I am not John

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

check out Mark Knopfler's video for "Going Home" (Theme from Local Hero )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Chuck

....hey now!
I have one of those!
Twenty-five years this September.
Oh oh what I want to know. Where does the time go.
9.11.99. Yup. I'll never forget our anniversary.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

As an intermediate Medical "Cardie" grower and longtime connoisseur, the 50g "at home" in Germany don't jibe with a "3" plants rule. I've personally pulled anything from 165g to over 400g off of a single plant! Depending on the strain of course and I live in the PNw. I do however like the 25g on person in public rule though, that's just shy of an ounce!

That's quite impressive, remembering the exact day you got married. Mind you - I remember the date my ex girlfriend got married. It was on 6th October - an anniversary date for when LSD was made illegal in the States. She didn't remember the date herself - probably because she never took LSD.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Tatooed into my mind

GD related
Dug out 2 21 71 from WD release
On King Bee at the moment

Great sound
not the hottest show of all time
But perfectly acceptable

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Cool show. Students Need Athletics, Culture and Kicks. Dead play Blues for Allah, only one of three times it was played.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I can't even remember the two dates I saw The Dead in March and October 1981, so I'd have no chance remembering a wedding anniversary.

Hopefully that SNACK Benefit show, 3/23/75 will be officially released soon - maybe as a bonus disc with "Blues For Allah".

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html